Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,117 members, 7,811,138 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 02:27 AM

Religion Makes You Stoopid. I Realise That Now. - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Religion Makes You Stoopid. I Realise That Now. (4531 Views)

What Gospel Songs Makes You Cry? / Religious People Are Stoopid? / Do You Realise That We Don't Really Exist? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Religion Makes You Stoopid. I Realise That Now. by kolaoloye(m): 2:14pm On Oct 08, 2009
I said it before; "religion is like a virus once it enters you then you are done".
Re: Religion Makes You Stoopid. I Realise That Now. by manmustwac(m): 2:25pm On Oct 08, 2009
kola oloye:

I said it before; "religion is like a virus once it enters you then you are done".
Religion is the opium of the masses

-Karl Marx
Re: Religion Makes You Stoopid. I Realise That Now. by bawomolo(m): 3:30pm On Oct 08, 2009
Christians should have a seperate board for wholesome christian discussions with a CHRISTIAN MODERATOR.

what are you guys running from?

it's funny how a religion like Christianity that should breed unity could lead to segregation.
Re: Religion Makes You Stoopid. I Realise That Now. by KunleOshob(m): 5:47pm On Oct 08, 2009
bawomolo:

what are you guys running from?

it's funny how a religion like Christianity that should breed unity could lead to segregation.

The problem is that very few people practise true christianity, what is assume is christianity is just an abused version of it. If you come to the true knowledge of it you would realise it is absolutely divine.
Re: Religion Makes You Stoopid. I Realise That Now. by dgreatrock(m): 6:18pm On Oct 08, 2009
The truth is that i dont know why Seun created a board  for Islam and non for christians.

i ve made repeated calls for one.

it is time we have one.
Re: Religion Makes You Stoopid. I Realise That Now. by PastorAIO: 6:22pm On Oct 08, 2009
dgreatrock:

The truth is that i dont know why Seun created a board  for Islam and non for christians.

i ve made repeated calls for one.

it is time we have one.

I know why? It's because he is scare of moslems but he is not scared of Christians.
Re: Religion Makes You Stoopid. I Realise That Now. by Krayola(m): 8:28pm On Oct 08, 2009
Religion, for the most part (at least on NL), makes people close their minds to new ideas, knowledge, perspectives. . . .leaves little to no room for growth IMO.  They say it is "spiritual growth". . . but how can u "grow" when your mind is stagnant?
Re: Religion Makes You Stoopid. I Realise That Now. by Nobody: 8:40pm On Oct 08, 2009
i knew thru IFA thread on nairaland
Re: Religion Makes You Stoopid. I Realise That Now. by dgreatrock(m): 8:57pm On Oct 08, 2009
Pastor AIO:

I know why? It's because he is scare of moslems but he is not scared of Christians.

The slowness of the cat should not be misunderstood for weakness
Re: Religion Makes You Stoopid. I Realise That Now. by semid4lyfe(m): 11:12pm On Oct 08, 2009
Religion makes some people stupid and not all people. It's unfair to generalize.
Re: Religion Makes You Stoopid. I Realise That Now. by noetic15(m): 11:35pm On Oct 08, 2009
Pastor AIO:

well, unless you are holding a gun to their head. This is a tried and tested method that has proved quite effective over the centuries.

Repent from what? Abuzola is their master, he sets the standard. From what I can tell banom is just having fun ridiculing certain types. I've had more interesting and enlightening discussions with atheists on this forum than I've had with so called christians. No, I don't want them to repent away from making intelligent conversation.

The connection between intelligence and the ability to make generalization is another topic entirely that I would love to take up with you on another thread. But as regards this thread you should notice that I further specified at the end of the OP when I said, "At least the kind of religion that Nairalanders practice".

Now, what is the motivation that pushes people to act like that. Personally I've noted in my life that when somebody gets up from where he is to go and cause trouble somewhere else it is due to some form of Malaise that he is experiencing. Most practitioners of these religions behaving like this are suffering from a terrible malaise. What exactly is the nature of this malaise? I suspect it is actually an inner struggle to silence, not just contrary opinions of others but, more crucially, doubting voices and intimation within themselves.

I concur

Are you the one that initiated me in Ifa? How do you know?

This does not add up neither does it make sense. There is no one on this forum who would take part in a public debate as far as the topics on this forum are concerned.
Everyone is debating here because of the anonymity involved, . . . .several others are visiting because they enjoy the debates.
IF however u think the site is getting boring because of other people's penchant desire to debate issues in their own way. . . then please feel free to leave the forum.

FYI: I dont understand why christians need their own forum. This is a public forum for debates and everyone is entitled to their opinion no matter hoe extereme.
IF u cannot live with the opinion of others then u need to examine ur objectivity. One forum is ok for muslims, christians, atheists, religious and non-religious.

ur dogmatic beliefs about being a christian must be terrible. . . . . .I cant reconcile IFA with Christianity.
Re: Religion Makes You Stoopid. I Realise That Now. by Nobody: 12:43am On Oct 09, 2009
@noetic,IGNORANT FOOL,IFA is infact 900%better and accurate compare to st paul christianity if u dnt know
Re: Religion Makes You Stoopid. I Realise That Now. by PastorAIO: 1:48am On Oct 09, 2009
Debating an issue is one thing, displaying frustrated ignorance is another thing. There are very few debates on Nairaland. There should be a rule banning personal insults. It will improve the quality of the forum a hundred fold.

There are people here who give their emails and phone numbers, and I get the impression that some even meet. Anonymity is not an issue at all. I guard my anonymity, not because of the topics being discuss, but for other reasons like not wanting a billion junk mails. I would be very happy to discuss my points in public, as indeed I have on several occasions. Not all of us are cowards.

To be honest I find myself coming here by force of habit most of the time. I have learnt to reduce my expectations of anything interesting to match what I'm likely to find. That way I don't keep on experiencing disappointment. I guess I will eventually leave, at this rate it'll be sooner rather than later.

There are many subforums here and I guess the topics are separated thus in order to avoid a mess of people joining issues. Like chatting up each other on the religion forum when they could do that in the romantic section. I think there is a mess in the religion section because issues pertaining to christians and christianity are not being discussed due to people jumping in and reducing the thread to a slanging match of personal insults. If there was a xtian section where the moderator removed any posts that did not pertain to the topic of the thread then I believe that christian issues would once again be discussed.

I don't see how anyone's opinion of Ifa should be any concern of mine. How does that pertain to what we are discussing?
Re: Religion Makes You Stoopid. I Realise That Now. by Nobody: 2:13am On Oct 09, 2009
@pastor,am sorry if i offended u pls okay,but dnt leave though
Re: Religion Makes You Stoopid. I Realise That Now. by Krayola(m): 3:19am On Oct 09, 2009
Pastor AIO abeg don't leave o.
Re: Religion Makes You Stoopid. I Realise That Now. by KunleOshob(m): 6:42am On Oct 09, 2009
Some of the most informative and intelligent posts that I have read on this forum have written by you pastor AIO, your posts are certainly refreshing and your contributions are still very much needed on this forum so please drop the idea of leaving us o.
Re: Religion Makes You Stoopid. I Realise That Now. by Krayola(m): 7:10am On Oct 09, 2009
Pastor AIO:

There should be a rule banning personal insults.  It will improve the quality of the forum a hundred fold.

Gbam!!

I love when people disagree with me. I hate when they can't express it politely, and discuss the issue, without character assassination. If the topic is say, miracles, let's discuss miracles, and not your opinion of who I am, or what my motives are. If that is your only tactic then it is a sign of intellectual bankruptcy IMO.
Re: Religion Makes You Stoopid. I Realise That Now. by Abuzola(m): 7:52am On Oct 09, 2009
This pastor is one jobless ant, leave if you want to, even if a subforum is created for u guys God's willing that section will even be worst , i will make sure that i intensify my bombardment in that nasty section till our muslim section is spared from ur cohort disengagement . Cross worshippers
Re: Religion Makes You Stoopid. I Realise That Now. by noetic15(m): 11:42am On Oct 09, 2009
uplawal:

@noetic,IGNORANT FOOL,IFA is infact 900%better and accurate compare to st paul christianity if u dnt know

has islam made u a better person or worse?
Re: Religion Makes You Stoopid. I Realise That Now. by viaro: 11:59am On Oct 09, 2009
Perhaps this thread is why I decided to register and throw in a few lines.

First thing that struck me is that the OP (and several others who have posted replies) are all guilty of whatever they are complaining about. I don't mean to come across on the sharp end, but that's just plainly fact. Insults? That's a primer on Nairaland. Personal? Yea, blah, blah - so many who are complaining here have actually done that same thing.

Now, about this one from the OP that caught my attention:
Maybe the atheists are right after all. Religion does corrode the brain. At least the type of religion that Nairalanders practice.
Perhaps the OP needs to realize two things:
1. It's not all about "all this xtian versus moslem nonsense". Have atheists not done the very same thing with salutory nonsense? Perhaps it should have been 'xtian vs moslem vs atheists vs the onlookers vs (pick your poisoon)'. That said, there are always a few exceptions: some Christians, Moslems, atheists, and simple-minded folks have been cool-headed. While not naming names of some, I can't resist naming at least one atheist that has a good head: KAG.
2. atheism is ardently pursued as a religion and many people have come to realize this as fact. Certainly, not every atheist you meet on the street wears the same badge as others, but one cannot help wonder the level with which it is being pursued here on this forum as a religion. At one time, I was moved to register and say these same things, but then came another gentleman (buda atum) who noted just about the same things borne out in my concerns here.

Perhaps I should add one more: it's comical that some who deplore the very things being complained about are the same ones who would promote that same deplorable thing. Post #43 is classic. But there you go.
Re: Religion Makes You Stoopid. I Realise That Now. by jagunlabi(m): 12:20pm On Oct 09, 2009
The nairaland religion forum is a bright neon sign showing what one of the main purpose of religions(the henotheistic desert dofmas,atleast) is.TO SPLIT HUMANITY AND KEEP THEM AT EACH OTHER'S THROAT FOREVER.What else do you expect,pastor?
Re: Religion Makes You Stoopid. I Realise That Now. by PastorAIO: 1:33pm On Oct 09, 2009
uplawal:

@pastor,am sorry if i offended u pls okay,but dnt leave though
Krayola:

Pastor AIO abeg don't leave o.
KunleOshob:

Some of the most informative and intelligent posts that I have read on this forum have written by you pastor AIO, your posts are certainly refreshing and your contributions are still very much needed on this forum so please drop the idea of leaving us o.

Wow! This makes me feel so appreciated. Thank you guys.

Abuzola:

This pastor is one jobless ant, leave if you want to, even if a subforum is created for u guys God's willing that section will even be worst , i will make sure that i intensify my bombardment in that nasty section till our muslim section is spared from your cohort disengagement . Cross worshippers

You see, the idea is that with a properly moderated forum your bombardments will not last a minute on the thread. Unless it isn't rude and pertains to the subject matter.

viaro:

First thing that struck me is that the OP (and several others who have posted replies) are all guilty of whatever they are complaining about. I don't mean to come across on the sharp end, but that's just plainly fact. Insults? That's a primer on Nairaland. Personal? Yea, blah, blah - so many who are complaining here have actually done that same thing.

Perhaps I should add one more: it's comical that some who deplore the very things being complained about are the same ones who would promote that same deplorable thing. Post #43 is classic. But there you go.

Nobody is perfect and the fact that most of us have done what is being complained about does not mean it is not a good idea. If threads were better moderated then the quality of the forum will improve for everybody even if all of us have been guilty of hurling personal insults before.
What you're saying is like, because we have all broken the law at some point or the other we have no right to strive for a better law enforcement in society.
Re: Religion Makes You Stoopid. I Realise That Now. by viaro: 2:37pm On Oct 09, 2009
I see where you're coming from, pastorAIO. But here's something that quizzed me:

Pastor AIO:

Nobody is perfect and the fact that most of us have done what is being complained about does not mean it is not a good idea.

I don't understand and don't want to risk assuming anything. But I thought that might've been a small slip. Perhaps you meant to say: "does not mean it is a good idea", no? Maybe not, but I'm also conscious of my slip.

If threads were better moderated then the quality of the forum will improve for everybody even if all of us have been guilty of hurling personal insults before.

True - and that is what experience brings out in all of us. We learn by our various slips; so my apologies where I might have crossed the line.

What you're saying is like, because we have all broken the law at some point or the other we have no right to strive for a better law enforcement in society.

Far from it. What I was trying to say was that there is a better way to complain instead of pitting it merely at just Christians and Moslems. Those who are not religious have also done the same things within the purview of that complaint, and the insults galour would not disappear woosh if no Christian or Moslem ever uttered an acid against anyone. That's why I tried to outline my observations and noted that we (including me before joining Nairaland) are all guilty - and if sectors are to be pointed out, it should not be just xtians vs moslems.

All the same, good observation - the insults should be monitored, and good sense be promoted.
Re: Religion Makes You Stoopid. I Realise That Now. by PastorAIO: 2:50pm On Oct 09, 2009
I meant that the fact that we are all guilty does not mean that better moderating and a sub section is not a good idea.
Re: Religion Makes You Stoopid. I Realise That Now. by Tudor6(f): 3:30pm On Oct 09, 2009
There's a thin line between moderation and obstructing freedom of speech/ideas. . . .prime example is the islam for muslims board.

BTW, if I should label a fraudulent pastor as a crook, is that considered personal insult?
Re: Religion Makes You Stoopid. I Realise That Now. by Tonyet1(m): 3:40pm On Oct 09, 2009
Tudór:

There's a thin line between moderation and obstructing freedom of speech/ideas. . . .prime example is the islam for muslims board.

BTW, if I should label a fraudulent pastor as a crook, is that considered personal insult?

NO!, you were aborted there because the moderator took you as matured whereas your posts tends childish, always aggressive, insultive, rude, arrogant, childish and fill of emotions sensitivites tongue tongue tongue embarassed
Re: Religion Makes You Stoopid. I Realise That Now. by PastorAIO: 3:43pm On Oct 09, 2009
On other websites that I've been involved in the rule was that there could be no personal insults directed at any other member of the forum.  You can call someone's post stupid  but you cannot call the person stupid, and you've got to back up why you called the post or the statement stupid.  If you call a pastor a fraud and have your reasons for doing so and are prepared to argue your reasons then I don't see why you can't.
Re: Religion Makes You Stoopid. I Realise That Now. by mnwankwo(m): 3:45pm On Oct 09, 2009
My view is that fundamentalism is becoming the hallmark of many posts on this religious forum. It cuts across all groups including theists, atheists as well as agnostics. Although better moderation can improve things, the improvement will only be artificial. Our posts reflect our weaknesses as well as our strengths and moderation cannot with a magic wand change our nature. A man cannot claim that he cannot lust, lie, murder, undermine another persons reputation, cheat, use ignoble language or be angered until he or she is presented with a very enticing opportunity to indulge in these ignoble passions such that he or she can yield to his weakness without anybody knowing about it.  The heated debates provide opportunity for all of us to recognise our weaknesses and work to eliminate them. We cannot stop others from insulting us or even blaspheming against the very things we hold sacred and true. But we can refuse inwardly as well as outwardly to insult them or blaspheme against their sacred beliefs. We can refuse to be angered, frustrated or indulge in any negative emotions inwardly as well as outwardly. Some posters on this forum are just passing a phase, many of them will not believe what they wrote on this forum 20 to 30 years from now and will wonder how it is possible that they are capable of saying such terrible things about their fellow discusants and their beliefs. Thus even the militants on this forum will change or get destroyed by the very dark emotions the emit. Thus there is no reason in my view to be concerned. Let both the grass and the weed grow until the harvest time. Cheers

1 Like

Re: Religion Makes You Stoopid. I Realise That Now. by DeepSight(m): 3:48pm On Oct 09, 2009
m_nwankwo:

My view is that fundamentalism is becoming the hallmark of many posts on this religious forum. It cuts across all groups including theists, atheists as well as agnostics. Although better moderation can improve things, the improvement will only be artificial. Our posts reflect our weaknesses as well as our strengths and moderation cannot with a magic wand change our nature. A man cannot claim that he cannot lust, lie, murder, undermine another persons reputation, cheat, use ignoble language or be angered until he or she is presented with a very enticing opportunity to indulge in these ignoble passions such that he or she can yield to his weakness without anybody knowing about it. The heated debates provide opportunity for all of us to recognise our weaknesses and work to eliminate them. We cannot stop others from insulting us or even blaspheming against the very things we hold sacred and true. But we can refuse inwardly as well as outwardly to insult them or blaspheme against their sacred beliefs. We can refuse to be angered, frustrated or indulge in any negative emotions inwardly as well as outwardly. Some posters on this forum are just passing a phase, many of them will not believe what they wrote on this forum 20 to 30 years from now and will wonder how it is possible that they are capable of saying such terrible things about their fellow discusants and their beliefs. Thus even the militants on this forum will change or get destroyed by the very dark emotions the emit. Thus there is no reason in my view to be concerned. Let both the grass and the weed grow until the harvest time. Cheers

Counsellor Superior.
Re: Religion Makes You Stoopid. I Realise That Now. by noetic15(m): 3:52pm On Oct 09, 2009
Tudór:

This singular statement summarises the entire thread. A lot of those screaming for moderation are doing so primarily because the perceived antagonists do not share their world view.
why is abuzola's posts irritating? . . . , the dude is simply expressing his religious views to the best of his abilities and from time to time he tends to caution himself when ever his emotions get hold of him.

Those crying for moderation are simply calling for the obstruction of freedom of speech. IF u dont like what is being said. . . . .go to another thread or leave the forum.

Tonye-t:

NO!, you were aborted there because the moderator took you as matured whereas[b] your posts tends childish, always aggressive, insultive, rude, arrogant, childish and fill of emotions sensitivites[/b] tongue tongue tongue embarassed

I believe u called him all this simply because both of u do not share the same world view. perhaps if he was a theist of ur orientation, his "insults and aggression " might be permissible.
Re: Religion Makes You Stoopid. I Realise That Now. by Tonyet1(m): 4:11pm On Oct 09, 2009
When will folks learn to dicepher simple posts,

Noetic15, where did i call him names if not his posts undecided embarassed
Re: Religion Makes You Stoopid. I Realise That Now. by noetic15(m): 4:19pm On Oct 09, 2009
Tonye-t:

font=trebuchet ms]When will folks learn to dicepher simple posts,

Noetic15, where did i call him names if not his posts undecided embarassed
[/font]

I meant the same thing. his post is all that u labelled it, simply because u both dont share the same world view. objectivity is key. shocked shocked

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

A Story That Shows The Difference Between Nigerian And Western Christians / Are Catholics Stupid? / No, The Muslim Jesus Is Not Even Close To The Jesus Of The Bible

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.