Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,393 members, 7,812,154 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:09 AM

How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? - Properties (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? (164077 Views)

Construction Of A 5 Bedroom @ Lekki, Lagos / Can I Build A 5-bed Room Bungalow In Half Plot Of Land / A 5 bedroom duplex with BQ siting on a 400Sq meters@magodo phase 1, C/O .72m,, (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by noble71(m): 11:43am On Sep 14, 2016
mozel247:
See ur pic and the poor job u r calling millions on. What is taste in this ordinary tiles and furniture u uploaded.

I guess u r a Mason. A supposed polished tiles, see the poor workmanship, see the type of pvc pipe u r using and here shouting millions.

4.8 million for door. What is d name of the door and can u share the link to the maker of the door..?

Robbers

bro. don't mind that guy he needs Jesus in his life.

5 Likes

Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by twinskenny(m): 11:49am On Sep 14, 2016
awelekiti:
My smile has said it all wink

Alright Sir am from ijero..

You can check my signature Sir if you need any if my services thanks

God bless
Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by alpontif(m): 11:49am On Sep 14, 2016
Braden102:
A 5000 square feet 5 bedroom duplex can be completed within 3 weeks .

lets talk about this.

do you manufacture these prestressed members in nigeria or you import them?
Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by Nobody: 11:55am On Sep 14, 2016
twinskenny:

Alright Sir am from ijero..

You can check my signature Sir if you need any if my services
It's ok. I hail from the neighbouring town.
Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by laplace19(m): 11:57am On Sep 14, 2016
amagunnerfan:
I recently bought a piece of land in a very good location in Abeokuta. In the process of getting the building plan approval. I intend to build a 5 bedroom duplex on the land but want to get ideas of how much it will likely cost me.

I am a bit inexperienced but have my father in law and my uncle running the errands for me.

My inital budget was 9 million but my father in law said it won't be enough. How much do Nairalanders think it will cost? I intend to finish this project within 6 months GOD willing.

You can build a 5-bedroom duplex with 22-30million depending on your quality and the area. Note also that one can build a standard duplex worth 45million and above. It's a matter of how financially bouyant one is...

Personally, this is the range I give until you present your drawing from which I can proceed with the probable cost estimation in my excel sheet....I focus more on the structural members and non-structural members( as i can't compromise them especially the structural members) in my estimation then it's left for the client to tell me the quality of doors,windows, tiles,Pipings, water closet,roofing sheet type,etc cos that's where he/she has a say.....For transparency, I will forward the Bill of Quantity so you can go through it and also do your own market survey....
Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by ogmask: 12:05pm On Sep 14, 2016
Braden102:
A 5000 square feet 5 bedroom duplex can be completed within 3 weeks .

Brother , pls is this service available in Nigeria ? If yes , pls send contact to ogmaskman@Gmail.com or post it here. Tnx.
Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by Nobody: 12:07pm On Sep 14, 2016
noble71:

Educate Me? bro don't start what you cant finish.
you are one of those people here deceiving Guys Oversee.

Yes, I needed to educate you because your figure is outrageous. Can you tell me how much a trailer load of cement is? What of a trailer load of iron rods? Conduit pipes and other minor materials can't cost more than 200k max. How many days do you think will be required to build just 5-bedroom duplex, excluding the waiting time needed for the decking to dry up? You're talking to an experienced guy here biko. You don't just deceive people anyhow all because they live abroad. It's not easy out there like most of you guys think. I've had to avoid staying with friends overseas each time I visit because instead of them entertaining me, I'd be the one spending indirectly. So, you can't afford to hide the realities here from them. If you're in doubt, let's do the analysis one-on-one. I can invite you, if you don't mind. I can give you contacts in lafarge for the mixing and where you can get the iron rod and the conduit popes needed. You can discuss workmanship with your architect who has a team he works with.

6 Likes

Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by jmoore(m): 12:09pm On Sep 14, 2016
ever811:
oga you lie..how how much will it cost to purchase the following alone..blocks,chipping stones,... ...cement for casting of foundation trenches,dpc slab,first floor slab,laying of blocks ,plastering, suckaway and tailing job.rood,wood for lintels,slab and roofing.roofing sheet..electrical material plumbing materials,..etc..baba 9m is just no where close pls..bellow is a bungalow we are currently working on,..the total cost for this bungalow is 52mill....
Inflated budget I guess. undecided

2 Likes

Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by olumide4christ: 12:10pm On Sep 14, 2016
eghosajohnny:

Now you see what we are saying just one building project you are realizing 12m as supervision now are you encouraging people here or making them understand that they can't build in nigeria.

You claim to be a contractor/builder and you don't know what profit and overheads is all about. Let me educate you:
Profit & overheads is an amount/percentage charged by a contractor over & above the cost of materials, labour, equipment to be used in a project which covers for his estimated profit for the job and administrative costs and expenses to be incurred during the project (overheads). It is charged as a percentage & included in each of the unit rates in the bills of quantities. It is totally different from cost of supervision. Cost of supervision only comes into play when the client is using direct labour to carry out the project. I said a contractor engaged me to prepare the BOQ for his client, the client didn't intend to use direct labour so therefore supervision does not arise.
Don't mislead people here, go around all the sites in Lagos or wherever you are located and confirm if what I said is true or not from the contractors there.
Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by segcymoor(m): 12:23pm On Sep 14, 2016
koning:

Quantity What?!!. Delusions of grandeur. We are talking of a 5 bedroom private residence here. Not the Hilton or Adenuga Towers. A seasoned bricklayer can give you a breakdown of all the quantity of material you need. The guys I used were well spoken University graduates like many of you jobless ones here. You guys blow expensive technical jargon to convince innocent people who may not have the time to be on the ground. Do not let me expose some of your tricks here. Just let this slide for now.

I will continue to advice Nigerians in the Diaspora to beware and examine things thoroughly. Most of these guys are very slippery and hungry. I have met a few in person. I will not mention names.
Now u are taking....
There is a thin line between most and all!
Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by freshvine(f): 12:30pm On Sep 14, 2016
ever811:
more...

Please create a thread on it let us see more.

Some of us are inspired and may engage you.
Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by olumide4christ: 12:31pm On Sep 14, 2016
Reference:

Electrical and fittings 600,000 for a 5 bedrom duplex. Are you joking or what. 900,000 for the sanitary system, haba. These figures cannot even build the backbone of those services thoughtless of energising them, and fittings....duh. You must like poor quality, breakdown prone stuff.

You should search for his moniker on Nairaland...he has been linked with some projects here on Nairaland that came out badly...and the client had to take over the project.
Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by noble71(m): 12:31pm On Sep 14, 2016
awelekiti:
Yes, I needed to educate you because your figure is outrageous. Can you tell me how much a trailer load of cement is? What of a trailer load of iron rods? Conduit pipes and other minor materials can't cost more than 200k max. How many days do you think will be required to build just 5-bedroom duplex, excluding the waiting time needed for the decking to dry up? You're talking to an experienced guy here biko. You don't just deceive people anyhow all because they live abroad. It's not easy out there like most of you guys think. I've had to avoid staying with friends overseas each time I visit because instead of them entertaining me, I'd be the one spending indirectly. So, you can't afford to hide the realities here from them. If you're in doubt, let's do the analysis one-on-one. I can invite you, if you don't mind. I can give you contacts in lafarge for the mixing and where you can get the iron rod and the conduit popes needed. You can discuss workmanship with your architect who has a team he works with.

bro. we are talking about five bedroom duplex and not bungalow. may be it is only in ur village that 9M will build five bedroom duplex
Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by metallisc(m): 12:40pm On Sep 14, 2016
amagunnerfan:
Hmmmm? I will wait for more estimates but not looking good. My capacity is 16m. And have a high taste.

a skillfull/well managed 16million will build you a very complete 5 bedroom duplex. If you want extra knick-knacks, you may add another 2million or thereabout.
Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by artizanni: 12:42pm On Sep 14, 2016
amagunnerfan:
I recently bought a piece of land in a very good location in Abeokuta. In the process of getting the building plan approval. I intend to build a 5 bedroom duplex on the land but want to get ideas of how much it will likely cost me.

I am a bit inexperienced but have my father in law and my uncle running the errands for me.

My inital budget was 9 million but my father in law said it won't be enough. How much do Nairalanders think it will cost? I intend to finish this project within 6 months GOD willing.

Hello OP,

We trust you are having a nice time on this interesting thread you opened. It could even be a bit confusing as different posters are throwing up sveral different figures that is supposed to finish the said duplex.

Let us clear your Doubts:

1. You have to choose between Cost and Quality.

9 M can finish a duplex, 100m can finish a duplex, it is a ll a matter of your specifications, the site conditions and the professionalism of your Building team.

A poster on this thread mentioned the fact that contractors rip off clients, he even posited that they have sort of cabal on nairaland, and more shockingly stated as a point of fact that you do not need a quantity surveyor, that an experienced mason can give you prices etc.

It is well.

But kindly take note of the following:

A QS is CRUCIAL to the success of a Building project if you do not want to suffer needlessly while implementing your project. Most Certainly, people have been building successfully in Nigeria without QSes, or even Architects and Engineers. But It is best practice to Involve a complete professional team on your project, especially a QS for the reasons below.

1. Every project starts with an Estimate: You need Estimated quantities and cost, prepared thoroughly and accurately, in order to guide you on your project, while Other people can do this, It is better to have a professional QS prepare this for you.

2. Cost Control: A QS usually have access to databases of Cost information, due to constant market surveys. This can lead to better pricing and rates for implementing your project.

It is better to be Overprepared , than sorry.

And it will not cost you more than what you pay your architect, to hire a QS and have a BOQ,Material and Labour schedule , plus Work Schedule prepared for your project.

Too much Information is better than No Information.

No 2, If you feel the Labour Cost is too much, you should renegotiate.

Standard practice in Our Organisation ( We help Nigerians in Diaspora to design,build,buy, verify,document and manage Real Estate at any location in Nigeria) is to Prepare a Free Detailed initial proposal based on the Client brief, that Includes plans,BOQs and Schedules.

The Schedule will include a Material Schedule and a Labour Schedule for the whole work.

The material schedule wil state all the specific materials to be used for any area of work, the quantity that will be needed and its unit price.

The Labour schedule will state the specific number of artisans to be used for any specified area of work, the amount of work they will do per day , and their cost per day.

Our profit is never part of the labour cost, our profit is just 15 percent of the overall cost of the project.

so if your house will cost 10 million to build, our fee is 1.5 million.

Full disclosure and giving complete information is very crucial to clients not living in the country due to cost sensitivity issues.

We have attached a sample of a Material/labour schedule so you will Know exactly what it is.

No 3, assemble a team(QS,Architect,Builder)

No 4, 1. Please, never ever ever do business with a Contractor who is not professionally indemnified for professional services malpractice by an insurance company. This seemingly negligible point is very vital if you hope to ever get redress if and when a Contractor fails to do as promised. A professional indemnity means that the insurer of that professional will pay up if anything untoward happens to Your Project as a result of the dishonesty,incompetence or negligence of the contractor that was indemnified by the Insurer. This is very very crucial, especially if you are hiring a contractor from an online platform like Nairaland.

2. We have also observed instances on this platform where potential clients will just state the dimensions of a particular building project they have in mind or even upload such and then implore certain ''experts'' to come up with possible estimates for constructing the building. This is one of the easiest ways to get burnt on a project, and while it is very possible to get estimates that are within range of implementing the project, it is very very risky in most cases, as most potential contractors will just underestimate to trap you in, then renegotiate once you commit financially to the project. this is a leading cause of most projects that end tragically for clients.

The smart thing to do is to contact professional quantity Surveyors and Estimators, or Construction Firms, who have a database of cost.per square meter of various building types across the country, that is reviewed periodically. They will usually give this out to you for free. once you get this rate, multiple it by the total square meters of your building floor plan, then discount what you get by 40 percent. That will give you the lower range of what it is likely going to cost you to build that house, and the initial value will be the upper limit. If you feel comfortable about the Price Ranges, you should then ask your Quantity Surveyor to prepare a Priced Bill of Quantities for you, and also a material schedule and a labour schedule.

Now,some people think a BOQ is useless on small projects,we disagree. A BOQ contains all the work that is to be carried out, this will guide you on what you can remove or not remove, because it will contain everything, including some that may not be necessary. ONCE YOU IDENTIFY SUCH,you can remove it and get a lower cost, but that wont be possible f you do not have a view of the whole picture,and a BOQ gives you the whole picture of the project. Of more importance is the Material and labour schedule that is based on the BOQ, these documents gives you the EXACT number of artisans you need per work type, or the exact quantity of blocks you for example need to build a wall, all down to the cost per artisan or item. Once you have this information, you can decide to use 3 artisans instead of 5 stated in the schedule, and save cost there, or even find a way to achieve cost savings on materials BECAUSE you now have the COMPLETE picture of what you need to achieve your project,and where you can save cost. Avoid guesstimates.

3. Contract agreements: Please in all and every case, never commit financially on any project no matter how small if you do not have a contract agreement with the contractor. there is nothing complicated here at all, a Quantity Surveyor can prepare that for you in a jiffy, and all the project terms and conditions are specified and laid out in clear terms here. This document is particularly important if you need to resolve troublesome issues with a contractor that is failing to do what he agreed to.

4. Payment: If you live abroad, never pay your contractor directly, appoint a trustee, pay the trustee, tell the trustee to pay the contractor if and only if you instruct them, and after they have verified that the contractor is executing the project according to the contract terms and conditions.

5. Quality of construction: Please always involve a professionally registered Architect when planning your project, he will ensure that detailed Standard Specification documents are produced, specifying the quality of materials to use on the project, the construction method to adopt and the quality of construction acceptable and quality control checks that must be put in place. This may seem too academic to some people, who think small projects dont need these sort of arrangements, but from experience a project is a project, and it is better to err on the side of caution. this architectural specification document is part of your contract agreement,and the contractor is liable if he fails to stick to the specification.

6. Time: It is a Myth that you cannot state precisely when a project will be completed. As long as Funding is in Place, and BUILDING permits and approvals have been received beforehand, and there is no Force Majeur event, it is only the ineptitude of a Contractor that will result in any delay on your project.

7. Best Practices: Please, never ever instruct your contractors to flaunt building approval requirements and laws because you want to maximize space or save space or materials. True professionals will not even agree to do such in the first place, but if you end up with a crook, you may regret it at the end of the day because you may never be able to get building permits, approvals or go-aheads, and your building may end up demolished. Always follow best practices.

There are many other points that we ll cover in subsequent topics, but the moral of our Advice is always involve professionals on your projects, because if push comes to shove, you can make them lose their practicing licences.

Lastly,

While not trying to denigrate any of the Parties, We will like to Point out one or two things.

1. The Customer is always right.

2. Always spell out the details of the project very very clearly.

3. AVOID ROUGH ESTIMATES. It is crucial that a Registered Quantity Surveyor Prepare a BOQ, and Material plus Labour Schedule for the project. Please do not try to bypass this.

4. Have a very clearly detailed Architectural specification document, complete with pictures, specified quality, where to buy etc..

5. For the Client, always do Fixed Cost Contracts, no matter what.

6. For the Client, always make sure your Contractor is Professionally indemnified, so you can always sue for malpractice.

7.Agree upfront on all project terms and conditions, all of which must be in a contract agreement, prepared by a professional quantity surveyor.

8. Embrace cost saving plans at the pre-contract stage, but avoid all corner cutting.

To Contractors: Be very professional. let the Client be aware of all Conditions. Discuss estimates beforehand. Agree on a prepared BOQ. Decide if the BOQ value should be tied to inflation or Fixed. Always give precise Estimates. It is a Science, not an art. It is possible to give precise estimates about time and Cost. If a potential Client feels your Estimate is too high, state your Particular Profit percentage on that estimate, and negotiate that lower. If The Client will not budge. Please move on. It is bad practice to start renegotiating on a project after the Client has commenced it. It is very unprofessional.

These are just some points you can adopt as best practices in building construction in Nigeria....

4 Likes

Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by abouzaid: 12:47pm On Sep 14, 2016
Babayoutoomuch:
Pls with ALL sincerity Kindly tell me which is better BUNGALOW or DUPLEX? The problem is not d money mind you. I'm just confused.Kindly help out if you can, its a decision I need to make as soon as possible. Thanks.
the best answer depends on your lifestyle, for example, a retirement home for an old couple might be better off been a bungalow for the sake of avoiding old people from climbing stairs, however for a younger couple, a duplex offers many advantages like better view,more prestige,,better management of available land, more privacy for the occupants etc.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by Nobody: 12:50pm On Sep 14, 2016
noble71:

bro. we are talking about five bedroom duplex and not bungalow. may be it is only in ur village that 9M will build five bedroom duplex
Not in my village but here in lagos in a state govt-developed estate in Alagbado. There's a similar one ongoing opposite my house. I can invite you to meet with the team, if you don't mind. Are you ordering the materials from the moon? I can link you with lafarge at ewekoro for a trailer load of cement you'd use and it will remain, believe me. If you wish to cut cost by cutting off labour for the decking, go to the same lafarge to help you mix the cement for flooring and decking of your house and they will deliver it to site and fill it up in 2 hours instead of hiring 50 men and women for mixing and flooring which could take a whole day. I can also link you with nigerite for the roofing, also with iron rod and conduit pipe sellers at iyanapaja, same with other materials. In Ijaye, there are guys selling slabs there. People don't even buy slabs these days, they only rent and that will lower your cost further because after the building is completed, the slabs become useless, same with bamboos. Please tell me what I don't know about building, which I need to know. Maybe they duped you when you built your own, I wouldn't know.

5 Likes

Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by olumide4christ: 12:51pm On Sep 14, 2016
Fadelex:
I've actually taken my time to read all the responses on here and I believe everybody contributed based on their knowledge, I told the OP to budget upward of 25million depending on his taste. Let me state here that construction work is not a guessing work, it is a Precision work, that's why we have various professionals in the industry. No one can determine the cost of a project without a design. same design on different plots will even have varying cost not to talk of different design on different location. Most people talking do not even know the load-bearing capacity of the soil, what types of finishes, external works, administrative bottlenecks and other natural factors. It is better to learn instead of pretending to know it all. God bless y'all.

[b]Please tell them ooo! I'm just laughing at so many comments I'm reading here when people will be speaking emphatically out of ignorance.
Why don't they tell the doctor the sickness they are suffering from before they are diagnosed or tell the mechanic the exact problem their car is experiencing and the solutions before the mechanic opens the car bonnet?
Professionals are trying to guide the OP, they are talking of cabals in Nairaland. They never understand that no 2 buildings of the same design in different location can have the same cost. Someone will build a duplex in his village using gravel instead of granite & complete the building very cheap & will expect to achieve the same cost somewhere else using granite.
Where I served in Katsina state many years ago, you could get sharp sand for almost free if you went outside town to get it from some dried up river bed...can you compare the cost of building there to that of the south here where sharp sand is very expensive.
In Abuja, the highest price I have bought sharp sand is N27000 for 20 tonnes, where in the whole of the south west can you find 20 tonnes sharp sand for less than N42-45000? Can cost of building in Abuja & Southwest be the same, given the above
Let them continue in their ignorance and erroneous beliefs? Only the OP will be at the receiving end!

I have realized over time from reading comments on Nairaland and professional dealings that a major proportion of Nigerians don't like to hear facts and truth; they rather like fairy tales which are sweet to the ears...infact, that's the major reason why we are where we are politically and economically.
[/b]
Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by ever811(m): 12:55pm On Sep 14, 2016
mozel247:
See ur pic and the poor job u r calling millions on. What is taste in this ordinary tiles and furniture u uploaded.

I guess u r a Mason. A supposed polished tiles, see the poor workmanship, see the type of pvc pipe u r using and here shouting millions.

4.8 million for door. What is d name of the door and can u share the link to the maker of the door..?

Robbers

honestly I need a single thing to convince me you are human..I do accept criticism on my jobs as that will help me improve in areas that am lacking.but calling me and my team robbers makes you look stupid I must confess..or you are jealous I am going to make goodmoni out of the project?..yes I agree iam a mason.but are you not ashamed a mason is handling a project that a Cambridge university graduate like u can never dream of in your life time? the site is in Abonima rivers state you can come and arrest me for robbing your father of his hard earned money..OK..idiot
Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by metallisc(m): 12:56pm On Sep 14, 2016
koning:

You can complete it with N16m even with the current price of cement. Just be there and monitor things yourself. Buy materials yourself and hire and independent engineer to supervise. Do not give any builder cash to build and deliver. They will make a minimum of N5m on your head, especially when they know you have access to Dollar or Euro.

They work as a cartel here on NL and back each other up with the outrageous price quotation to make you believe it's genuine. A well trained craftsman can deliver a quality 5 bedroom duplex. Just do some research yourself and work with him. It's your house and you have the final decision.

3 Likes

Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by noble71(m): 1:01pm On Sep 14, 2016
awelekiti:
Not in my village but here in lagos in a state govt-developed estate in Alagbado. There's a similar one ongoing opposite my house. I can invite you to meet with the team, if you don't mind. Are you ordering the materials from the moon? I can link you with lafarge at ewekoro for a trailer load of cement you'd use and it will remain, believe me. If you wish to cut cost by cutting off labour for the decking, go to the same lafarge to help you mix the cement for flooring and decking of your house and they will deliver it to site and fill it up in 2 hours instead of hiring 50 men and women for mixing and flooring which could take a whole day. I can also link you with nigerite for the roofing, also with iron rod and conduit pipe sellers at iyanapaja, same with other materials. In Ijaye, there are guys selling slabs there. People don't even buy slabs these days, they only rent and that will lower your cost further because after the building is completed, the slabs become useless, same with bamboos. Please tell me what I don't know about building, which I need to know. Maybe they duped you when you built your own, I wouldn't know.

bro. you are funny with your write up.
you want to educate a Civil Engr. that 9M will complete five bedroom duplex in Lagos. lol! bro. give your life to Christ.
Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by metallisc(m): 1:07pm On Sep 14, 2016
Braden102:
What's the Sqft? Those style of houses you guys have in Nigeria are so ugly ,colonial and outdated.They also look complicated and may incur unnecessary expenditure. The homes in the photo below are very simple,yet elegant,straightforward ,and also easy to build and complete within a short period of time. In fact,you do not have to waste money on conventional roofing nor stairs because prefabricated stairs is much cheaper. Colour is also important in the finishing . White ,grey and peach colours gives a modern look to a building.

those designs there are the real deal! no unnecessary waste of materials. The problem with nigerians is the crowd mentality... someone(probably a rich and influential person) builds a house surrounded by pillars and that becomes the standard for everybody because they want to appear rich as well. If you calculate the amount of materials used for the pillars, you find out that it will be enough for a two bedroom bungalow grin grin.
you see some crap called residential houses and the owners are saying the build cost 50million and you are looking at it and wondering where the 50million went. people should learn to explore options through independent thinking and research!

7 Likes

Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by ever811(m): 1:08pm On Sep 14, 2016
Reference:

That is quality and durability he is paying for. There are many bungalows out there that are better than those medium rise buildings dotting Onitsha, Enugu and other eastern states built, ten for a penny. It is a choice similar to the type of car you drive. Some just want something to take them to work and back, others want a ride to town in style. Some want a car to use and dispose after 12 months like a tissue, while others want a car their children's children can sell after 300 years for a hundred times the price purchased. Different strokes.....
you just made it easy for people with human brain to comprehend..
Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by olumide4christ: 1:08pm On Sep 14, 2016
rockyh:
it's like u are just coming into Nigeria from abroad to say 19m will build a duplex guy reason well any standard duplex should be from 25 above

Not at all ooo...he has been in Nigeria and Nairaland property section for long...that's just his system of engaging prospective clients. Check his mentions and quotes!
Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by metallisc(m): 1:09pm On Sep 14, 2016
CzarChris:
now I'm hooked, been seeing this type of building designs lately, and I must say they look simple, neat and nice. What's the average cost of building something like this with the OPs description /taste? I'm kinda thinking in that angle right now.

in that angle you won't go wrong! thank me later! wink
Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by Nobody: 1:11pm On Sep 14, 2016
noble71:

bro. you are funny with your write up.
you want to educate a Civil Engr. that 9M will complete five bedroom duplex in Lagos. lol! bro. give your life to Christ.
There is no need to argue any further on this. You may PM me. I'll be glad to give you a number of your colleague you can call and verify what I'm saying from. You may even pay a visit to one of their sites here, if you like. I rest my case!

3 Likes

Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by Chigorkizz(m): 1:23pm On Sep 14, 2016
Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by metallisc(m): 1:25pm On Sep 14, 2016
lastpage:

First, as has been mentioned, the final cost will vary a lot and will depend on a lot of factors such that you cant compare your cost to that of others but what you can get is an "average".

For example, the type of soil on the land you bought (alone) can make a difference of #3Million Naira in your expenses.
Assuming you bought a "soft soil" land, compared to someone who bought a red-clay land.

The former's foundation would consume a lot of Iron, Cement, Granite and Stone-dust/Sharp Sand in building say a Raft foundation tha may be as high as 5ft minimum (to avoid future stories of the heart) while the latter's foundation may just be 2ft high without much reinforcement.
With current cost of Iron and Cement, l am sure you are getting my drift.

Having said that, if you are not the lazy type (and l dont think so otherwise you wont have been planning to build your own house), l would advice you to go to the property thread and READ, READ and READ building projects (especially the DIY ones where the owners double as the Supervisor grin ) and then cap it with the off-topic thread (you can always skip the wailing and rubbish post that wont contribute anything to your quest for knowledge) linked below

https://www.nairaland.com/2550211/general-topic-thread-to-discuss-anything

Knowledge is Power! These threads would make you a small "Pro" in no-time kiss kiss
If you are a novice to building (in terms of "basic knowledge"wink, expect to lose as much as 25% of your budget to greedy builders/Contractors who will eat you without mercy! (not all of them are guilty of this, there are some like Abdulwatexc who still do a good job for the money)
Inflation of cost of material, over-invoicing, over-inventory, buying lower quality than quoted, e.t.c are ways you will lose money, just to mention a few angry angry

You have seen how your "proposed cost is jumping from 9M to 20M to 25M to 30M already! grin grin

But dont let that dampen your spirit in anyway.
Just start and dont bite more than you can chew!

Your build wont be the best in Abeokuta and it won be the worst ......but do something you know you will COMPLETE in good time.
Dont over-build to impress anybody.

I can feel you are already feeling depressed by that 30Million mentioned cry cry

It all depends on you:

*Can you spare the EFFORT and the personal TIME to cut down cost (You can have an over-seeing consultant on a fixed payment based on site-visits..... not someone just collecting your money and staying-away from the site!)

* Be very careful with parting with money, especially to these Contractors on Nairaland!
Ask around, there are some Contractors l will not give my #3, not to talk of #30Million.
Ask around but for now, l have "very strong opinion" about Abdlwastexc and Spyder (search for the threads of these two, good builders and read)

I hope you realise that MONEY can cause enmity between you and your Uncle and Father-in-law?
My Mother use to tell me this: " Any amount of Money you cant forgo, dont lend it to a relation otherwise, you might have to chose between your money and your relation" .
Be careful in that area, l take God beg you. (Except you are a very, very "Cheerful Giver"wink undecided undecided

The cheapest part of the build is the block-work itself but it is what makes you think you are building a house as it springs into life.
Major areas of cost in "approximate percentages" are:

Foundation (13%), Blockwork (8%), Decking (11%), Roofing (10%) Windows and Doors (15%), Plastering and Tiling (20%), Plumbing, Soakaway and Electrics (10%), other Finishings (Painting, Compound, , e.t.c) 10%. Let us set aside another 3% for contigencies, totalling 100%.

Now, you can start work once you have 40% of the cost as cash and you have a steady stream of income, otherwise l would suggest you up it to about 60% but please, DONT overbuild to impress!
It is better you build to a scale your budget can accommodate within 12-16months max. (I know you said 6months grin ).

BTW: Five Bedroom Duplex is very good but do you by any chance have up to eight children or is it just your immediate family that will occupy that 5-Bed Duplex? Well, it is your first house so you want to impress yourself! grin grin

Hmmm.... 3-Bed Duplex with 2Units of 2 or 3-Bed Flats at the back will give you better value-for-money, give you flexibility with "sleep-ins" and will bring you income streams, when you discover that you dont need the "Big-Man" house that we all always start with.
I am speaking from experience
but l pray you will get there sooner than me and realise what l realised too late!
. grin grin

Dont mind me, l like to write too much.
I wish you all the strength and determination. Go for it.

Lastpage!

Caveat: I am not a builder/contractor and l am not selling anything o. shocked grin

4 Likes

Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by metallisc(m): 1:27pm On Sep 14, 2016
akeensbussy:
I can see high quotation from different people on this forum....N25M, N30M just for 5 bedrooms duplex. That is too much now.

I have 5 bedrooms duplex and 3bedrooms(set back) with a security house on a plot of Land for sale here at Akeja, Ota, Not far from AIT, Alagbado. At 80% finished.

price: #17Million.

How come in Abeokuta where sand, stones and Labour are cheaper compare to other places. the best thing the OP can do is to be involve in the process 100% and u will discover that u not even spend up #15Million.

2 Likes

Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by metallisc(m): 1:34pm On Sep 14, 2016
Rekeb:

If your building is 80% finished and it already costs you 17million, you will need to tell us what the 80% finished means. Is it already roofed, plastered etc. @Akeens, please do not underestimate what the "20%" finish will cost you.

read well... the two(2) buildings so far has cost 17million!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by olumide4christ: 1:35pm On Sep 14, 2016
OP, like I have said earlier, your money is yours...you determine what you do with it & live with the gains &/or losses.
Your thread has hit front page & whenever that happens, be sure to be more confused than before due to the divergent comments from those who truly know & those who don't know.
You may choose to listen to the advice of professionals here or decide to go along with the advice of the not-so-knowledgeable. At the end, your decision will determine the results.
Wishing you all the best on your project; it is well!
Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by metallisc(m): 1:49pm On Sep 14, 2016
ever811:
oga you lie..how how much will it cost to purchase the following alone..blocks,chipping stones,... ...cement for casting of foundation trenches,dpc slab,first floor slab,laying of blocks ,plastering, suckaway and tailing job.rood,wood for lintels,slab and roofing.roofing sheet..electrical material plumbing materials,..etc..baba 9m is just no where close pls..bellow is a bungalow we are currently working on,..the total cost for this bungalow is 52mill....

braden102 grin grin check this.. this is an example of what i am referring to grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Building My 3 Bedroom Bungalow (the Apocalypse) / Noisy Sex: The Notice A Landlord Pasted At His House / Aloysius Nnamdi Ikegwuonu "Bishop" Building House In This Recession!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 147
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.