Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,294 members, 7,836,285 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:49 AM

Tragedy Of An Unthinking Agitation: The Case Of The Niger-delta Militants - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tragedy Of An Unthinking Agitation: The Case Of The Niger-delta Militants (14948 Views)

Army Ready To Tackle Niger-Delta Militants / Niger-Delta Militants Vow To Bomb Aso-rock, Details Specific targets / Buhari To Implement Yar’adua’s Agreement With Niger-Delta Militants (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tragedy Of An Unthinking Agitation: The Case Of The Niger-delta Militants by obaaderemi: 9:56pm On Sep 12, 2016
Chiznonso:

Nothing like Education here, it's all about Foreign Exchange, it's all about Dollars, he who brings the dollars should dictate the tune
Unfortunately,it doesnt work that way in underdeveloped countries.look at the 13% for example.the governors steal it and the pple,the real owners suffer.let the Ndelta politicians also be held accountable
Re: Tragedy Of An Unthinking Agitation: The Case Of The Niger-delta Militants by davidif: 1:02am On Sep 13, 2016
donborg:

the administration of FCT did wonders indeed. Let them do d same WONDERS in warri naa abi Warri naNiger delta region.mtcheeew.

Who is the "them" you are referring to? Is it El Rufai? Why don't you encourage him to run for the governor of your state so that he can perform the same "magic".
Re: Tragedy Of An Unthinking Agitation: The Case Of The Niger-delta Militants by davidif: 1:05am On Sep 13, 2016
cocoduck:
Your analogy is totally wrong, a child that says its mother won't sleep will not sleep. You exploit every thing there and expect them to be good school children, for wusai

So you are comparing the Niger Delta avengers to petulant children who throw tantrums when they don't have there way?? How apt a description hahahahaha grin grin grin Give yourself 10 gbosa's jare. Thank you for proving my point.
Re: Tragedy Of An Unthinking Agitation: The Case Of The Niger-delta Militants by davidif: 1:08am On Sep 13, 2016
Chiznonso:

The same FG that has developed the skill in collecting oil dollar profits gotten from ND, should know how to spend the dollars there.

Guy, i am still waiting for the answer to my question. Stop deflecting and give me your answer.
Re: Tragedy Of An Unthinking Agitation: The Case Of The Niger-delta Militants by davidif: 1:16am On Sep 13, 2016
newbornmacho:

But you know its true. You teamed up in a war to ensure your access to oil without any consideration for the owners true or false? You allocate oil blocks without consideration for the owners true or false? What have you even done for this region? Be honest. The wasteful profligate lifestyle of the bourgeoisie in this country is at the expense of this region with nothing absolutely nothing given in return. They've had enough.

First of all, who is the "you" you keep talking about? Last time i checked i "never teamed up in a war to ensure access to oil without any consideration". I never "allocated" oil blocks without consideration for anybody?
Finally, i will admit that you are right. I have never done anything for the Niger Delta region neither have i looted from them.
Re: Tragedy Of An Unthinking Agitation: The Case Of The Niger-delta Militants by Abagworo(m): 2:15am On Sep 13, 2016
donborg:

the administration of FCT did wonders indeed. Let them do d same WONDERS in warri naa abi Warri naNiger delta region.mtcheeew.

Niger Deltans fight development. It's amazing but true if you must be frank. The problem is deeply rooted in psychological trauma which I suspect has a lot to do with unfounded distrust against Igbos who happen to be a very industrious neighbour. I once told my relatives in Nembe that God put us on the same area with them to use our human resources to develop their natural resources while we share the profit. Over the years that distrust has extended to everyone thereby leading to hostility. If a company wants to site a project like road or bridge some politicians will go and tell the youths that there is alterior motive driving the project which in many cases lead to resistance by youths against development. Rivers State enjoyed better relationship with companies than hostile Delta and the difference is quite visible.

1 Like

Re: Tragedy Of An Unthinking Agitation: The Case Of The Niger-delta Militants by mikolo80: 2:38am On Sep 13, 2016
Re: Tragedy Of An Unthinking Agitation: The Case Of The Niger-delta Militants by davidif: 2:57am On Sep 13, 2016
Chiznonso:

Who are U ask about how ND spent their own Money? In fact what did U do with the remaining 87%, ND provides 97% of Nigeria's foreign reserves,. Niger Delta produces 96% of our export revenue, U actually don't understamd that statement @ all. Obasanjo used ND oil money to pay Nigeria's External Debt of 16bn dollars, the money came virtually from Oil. Please keep quiet, U have no clue. U have no right to ask ND what she did with her money, what did U do with what she gave U? What have U even produced for the economy? Ordinary Cocoa U can't optimise it, Nigeria does 250k tonnes, Ivory Coast does 1.8m tonnes, Nigeria in history has neva earned up to 1.5 billion dollars in a year from Cocoa exports, ND produced $99bn of oil and gas exports in 2013 alone. She made 77bn in 2014. Until you make $5bn annually from Cocoa, U can open your mouth and talk. When did she even start collecting all these money, she fought for every single bit of this Income source, it wasnt free although it all came from her soil

Bros, you do know that more than half of Nigeria's oil production is waaaay offshore right? In fact, onshore production has really plummeted. Some oil companies have sold some of there land holdings and are going deep into the sea.
Re: Tragedy Of An Unthinking Agitation: The Case Of The Niger-delta Militants by cocoduck: 6:11am On Sep 13, 2016
davidif:

So you are comparing the Niger Delta avengers to petulant children who throw tantrums when they don't have there way?? How apt a description hahahahaha grin grin grin Give yourself 10 gbosa's jare. Thank you for proving my point.

that we shall see, abi no be for this Nigeria? You people will never sleep in peace.
Re: Tragedy Of An Unthinking Agitation: The Case Of The Niger-delta Militants by Chiznonso: 7:31am On Sep 13, 2016
obaaderemi:
Unfortunately,it doesnt work that way in underdeveloped countries.look at the 13% for example.the governors steal it and the pple,the real owners suffer.let the Ndelta politicians also be held accountable

Who are U to say NDelta politicians steal money? Is it your business, I am asking U, what have U contributed to the Economy? Common foodstuff, they can't produce, Nigeria still spends $22bn annually on food imports, those imports are largely financed by Oil Dollars
Re: Tragedy Of An Unthinking Agitation: The Case Of The Niger-delta Militants by Chiznonso: 7:36am On Sep 13, 2016
davidif:

Bros, you do know that more than half of Nigeria's oil production is waaaay offshore right? In fact, onshore production has really plummeted. Some oil companies have sold some of there land holdings and are going deep into the sea.

Nigeria make far less profit from offshore oil than onshore oil because of the different Profit sharing formula with IOCs and cost of FPSOs, the cost of oil production offshore is far higher onshore oil ( more than twice). And again the offshore is owned by ND inside Nigeria because if any pollution occurs they suffer the consequences. They have lived there for over 500 years, traded with the Portuguese and British,
Re: Tragedy Of An Unthinking Agitation: The Case Of The Niger-delta Militants by Chiznonso: 7:40am On Sep 13, 2016
majekdom2:
Oil license are issued by FG, you buy a piece of land from an individual in most cases. Get intelligence at all cost, it will help you.

U ensure a chunk of the profits go to the Ancestral owners of the Land, to keep them calm, since they might be facing hazards like pollution and gas flaring
Re: Tragedy Of An Unthinking Agitation: The Case Of The Niger-delta Militants by Chiznonso: 7:46am On Sep 13, 2016
davidif:

First of all, Abuja is a city. The Niger Delta is an entire region. Big difference.

Secondly, the administration of the F.C.T did wonders with the city of Abuja. Why can't any city administrator or local govt chairman do the same with with at least one city in the Niger Delta region?

Thirdly, you still have not answered my initial question? Why aren't you holding your local and state govt officials accountable for embezzling the allocation they get.

U made a wrong statement here, Abuja was built by the Oil profit dollars from the South South, where did Nigeria got the dollars to build the city, nothing like FCT Admin, the FCT Admin got the money from Oil exports, they even borrowed money using future oil exports as guarantee. Pls get your facts together pls
Re: Tragedy Of An Unthinking Agitation: The Case Of The Niger-delta Militants by davidif: 8:25am On Sep 13, 2016
Chiznonso:

And again the offshore is owned by ND inside Nigeria because if any pollution occurs they suffer the consequences.

First of all, we are talking about oil fields that are over 113 kilometers off the coast (that's probably over an hours drive if it were on land) not something close by or along the coast. Secondly you need to read up on maritime law and understand the difference between international waters and territorial waters because unfortunately to tell you those waters belong to a sovereign state and any country that encroaches on those waters without permission is technically violating the territory of that nation which in this case happens to be Federal republic of Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Tragedy Of An Unthinking Agitation: The Case Of The Niger-delta Militants by davidif: 8:27am On Sep 13, 2016
Chiznonso:

U made a wrong statement here, Abuja was built by the Oil profit dollars from the South South, where did Nigeria got the dollars to build the city, nothing like FCT Admin, the FCT Admin got the money from Oil exports, they even borrowed money using future oil exports as guarantee. Pls get your facts together pls

Yes you are correct but money is still an inanimate object. It can think and plan neither can it build which is exactly what the FCT Admin did. Having money is one thing, using it to accomplish your goals is a whole different thing.

1 Like

Re: Tragedy Of An Unthinking Agitation: The Case Of The Niger-delta Militants by obaaderemi: 8:46am On Sep 13, 2016
Chiznonso:

Who are U to say NDelta politicians steal money? Is it your business, I am asking U, what have U contributed to the Economy? Common foodstuff, they can't produce, Nigeria still spends $22bn annually on food imports, those imports are largely financed by Oil Dollars
Let them continue the bombing then.you are one of their enemies and you are not making much sense.for ur info,oil contributes just 11% of nigeria,s gdp and that is about to reduce.continve while ur politicians continue to eat ur future.

1 Like

Re: Tragedy Of An Unthinking Agitation: The Case Of The Niger-delta Militants by Chiznonso: 8:42am On Sep 14, 2016
obaaderemi:
Let them continue the bombing then.you are one of their enemies and you are not making much sense.for ur info,oil contributes just 11% of nigeria,s gdp and that is about to reduce.continve while ur politicians continue to eat ur future.

Crude Oil and Gas exports provide 96% of our export revenue. Gas generates 70% of our electricity output. Oil exports by far is the major provider of Liquidity( Forex) in our Economy. Majority of Foreign Investment into our Economy is in the Oil and Gas sector. Nigeria is an import dependent Economy, so virtually majority of the goods are imported(Electronics, Food, Cars, Fuel, Clothes, Pharmaceuticals, most raw material inputs for local manufacturing, textiles, Books etc). It's the Dollars we earn from Oil exports that largely finances this imports, (ECONS 101) ESP for a developing country like ours. Its the Oil exports dollars that gives Naira it's Consuming power, the ability to consume foreign goods just like my Korean Phone or Japanese Cars. It's embedded in the economy in such a way the Nigerian commoner wouldnt see it. Y do U think as Oil price crash, Naira started crashing too. The ability to buy your phone or watch in Naira which is manufactured abroad is a function of the dollars we earn from Oil. Ur standard of living is a function of Oil exports. Foreign reserve is virtually Oil export dollars that haven't yet been spent on imports. And as I said it will remain like that for a while because it's takes many painstaking years to diversify, Rome isn't built in a day . Agriculture is not good enough because it's still a raw material commodity business just like oil thats easily prone to Sanctions, Pest Attack, Drought, but it help a long way in reducing our imports of food and prop up our exports revenue
Re: Tragedy Of An Unthinking Agitation: The Case Of The Niger-delta Militants by obaaderemi: 9:43am On Sep 14, 2016
Chiznonso:

Crude Oil and Gas exports provide 96% of our export revenue. Gas generates 70% of our electricity output. Oil exports by far is the major provider of Liquidity( Forex) in our Economy. Majority of Foreign Investment into our Economy is in the Oil and Gas sector. Nigeria is an import dependent Economy, so virtually majority of the goods are imported(Electronics, Food, Cars, Fuel, Clothes, Pharmaceuticals, most raw material inputs for local manufacturing, textiles, Books etc). It's the Dollars we earn from Oil exports that largely finances this imports, (ECONS 101) ESP for a developing country like ours. Its the Oil exports dollars that gives Naira it's Consuming power, the ability to consume foreign goods just like my Korean Phone or Japanese Cars. It's embedded in the economy in such a way the Nigerian commoner wouldnt see it. Y do U think as Oil price crash, Naira started crashing too. The ability to buy your phone or watch in Naira which is manufactured abroad is a function of the dollars we earn from Oil. Ur standard of living is a function of Oil exports. Foreign reserve is virtually Oil export dollars that haven't yet been spent on imports. And as I said it will remain like that for a while because it's takes many painstaking years to diversify, Rome isn't built in a day . Agriculture is not good enough because it's still a raw material commodity business just like oil thats easily prone to Sanctions, Pest Attack, Drought, but it help a long way in reducing our imports of food and prop up our exports revenue
Re: Tragedy Of An Unthinking Agitation: The Case Of The Niger-delta Militants by obaaderemi: 9:50am On Sep 14, 2016
Let them continue with the bombing.one thing u dont know is that their environment and society will continue to suffer aftershocks for decades to come.whats the future of their kids and youths?osun gets almost nothing but we are living.that tells u that oil money is overrated.let them continue instead of calling their elected officials to accountability
Re: Tragedy Of An Unthinking Agitation: The Case Of The Niger-delta Militants by Chiznonso: 10:14am On Sep 14, 2016
obaaderemi:
Let them continue with the bombing.one thing u dont know is that their environment and society will continue to suffer aftershocks for decades to come.whats the future of their kids and youths?osun gets almost nothing but we are living.that tells u that oil money is overrated.let them continue instead of calling their elected officials to accountability
Living on what? See as far as Ur a Nigerian earning and spending Naira, U are benefitting from Oil. Thats what U don't get. CBN uses foreign reserves to defend the value of Naira, Foreign reserves consists of entirely Oil and Gas Exports proceeds. This is Macroeconomics, I know ND is suffering from pollution but without Oil, ND is as good as Kogi state, what dollar revenue do Kogi bring in? In this modern world, Capital is King and Dollars, Euros, Pounds and Yen is Capital, nobody cares about anything else.
Re: Tragedy Of An Unthinking Agitation: The Case Of The Niger-delta Militants by obaaderemi: 10:54am On Sep 14, 2016
Chiznonso:

Living on what? See as far as Ur a Nigerian earning and spending Naira, U are benefitting from Oil. Thats what U don't get. CBN uses foreign reserves to defend the value of Naira, Foreign reserves consists of entirely Oil and Gas Exports proceeds. This is Macroeconomics, I know ND is suffering from pollution but without Oil, ND is as good as Kogi state, what dollar revenue do Kogi bring in? In this modern world, Capital is King and Dollars, Euros, Pounds and Yen is Capital, nobody cares about anything else.
Naira and any other currency can be converted into these foreign currencies.i agree with u that oil is essential to nigerias economy but fact remains that our non oil economy is larger than our oil economy.check our gdp.real estate.manufacturing,commodities,telecom,etc giver us about 90%.if oil dries 2day,nigeria will survive though with a lot of hard adjustment.but the niger delta will be left with nothing.thats the point we are telling you.
Re: Tragedy Of An Unthinking Agitation: The Case Of The Niger-delta Militants by Chiznonso: 7:09pm On Sep 14, 2016
obaaderemi:
Naira and any other currency can be converted into these foreign currencies.i agree with u that oil is essential to nigerias economy but fact remains that our non oil economy is larger than our oil economy.check our gdp.real estate.manufacturing,commodities,telecom,etc giver us about 90%.if oil dries 2day,nigeria will survive though with a lot of hard adjustment.but the niger delta will be left with nothing.thats the point we are telling you.

14% of our Economy quite alright is the Oil and Gas sector. Consumer spending is 70% of our GDP. Nigeria's consumer index is 0.8, meaning our consumer spending is 80% exposed to importation since we are an import dependent Economy. Since Oil and Gas is virtually(96%) our source of Foreign Exchange exports dollars and as I said as it's the dollars U earn from export, U can use to import. 70% of our total GDP is very highly exposed to Oil and Gas exports since those exports that finances our Consumer spending. As I said this is Macroeconomics, Electricity is the most important input in Manufacturing and Local Production, Gas provides 75% of our entire Electricity output and it's growing since We are blessed with 182trn cu feet of gas.Major Industrial Complex receive Gas from ND to generate their own electricity for their plants. Household depends on gas power plants for 70% of our electricity. U can see that Nigeria is exposed to oil and gas for about 14+ 0.8x70= 70% of GDP.
Re: Tragedy Of An Unthinking Agitation: The Case Of The Niger-delta Militants by Chiznonso: 7:11pm On Sep 14, 2016
obaaderemi:
Read this

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/more-news/210349-dependence-oil-responsible-economy-recession-lai-mohammed.html
Re: Tragedy Of An Unthinking Agitation: The Case Of The Niger-delta Militants by donborg(m): 9:45am On Dec 02, 2016
davidif:

Who is the "them" you are referring to? Is it El Rufai? Why don't you encourage him to run for the governor of your state so that he can perform the same "magic".
You are just being clever by half. Federal fiscal lopsided allocation(in favour of abuja against the Niger delta) aside how much is the allocation to delta state compared to abuja. mtcheew
Re: Tragedy Of An Unthinking Agitation: The Case Of The Niger-delta Militants by donborg(m): 9:46am On Dec 02, 2016
rusher14:
The same Warri that vandalised shoprite?
Or are we talking of another Warri?
if only those warri 'vandal' youths had well paying jobs
Re: Tragedy Of An Unthinking Agitation: The Case Of The Niger-delta Militants by donborg(m): 9:49am On Dec 02, 2016
majekdom2:
the wonders were there, that's what the OP was trying to tell you. Warri was once the USA of Nigeria. I remeber having school mates whose parents worked in warri, we could tell the difference. This thing is not even about FG. Lagos is lagos not just because of FG. USA is USA not because of FG. It is because the people have chosen to be sane. Is shoprite FG's investment or oil investment? All these FG rants goes to prove the laziness we have been talking. These militants are not really ready to work.
How many jobs have you provided for them.
I know you will start mentioning jobs like cooking, doing laundry, and washing plates for the white expatriates as 'good well paying jobs' mtcheeew
Re: Tragedy Of An Unthinking Agitation: The Case Of The Niger-delta Militants by donborg(m): 9:53am On Dec 02, 2016
Abagworo:

Niger Deltans fight development. It's amazing but true if you must be frank. The problem is deeply rooted in psychological trauma which I suspect has a lot to do with unfounded distrust against Igbos who happen to be a very industrious neighbour. I once told my relatives in Nembe that God put us on the same area with them to use our human resources to develop their natural resources while we share the profit. Over the years that distrust has extended to everyone thereby leading to hostility. If a company wants to site a project like road or bridge some politicians will go and tell the youths that there is alterior motive driving the project which in many cases lead to resistance by youths against development. Rivers State enjoyed better relationship with companies than hostile Delta and the difference is quite visible.
They know that the youths need jobs and money hence they can be easilyswayed and deceived.Very clever of them

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Crisis Looms In Senate Over Magu’s Rejection / June 12 1993 And The Lessons Of History By Joe Igbokwe / Lebanese Suspects Planned To Bomb Israeli Embassy In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.