Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,857 members, 7,810,286 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:31 AM

5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions (32393 Views)

5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions / Cohabiting: The Silent Killer Of Students In Tertiary Institutions / 10 Underrated Courses Nigerian Students Should Consider Choosing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by Anuoluwapo3054(m): 2:05pm On Dec 28, 2016
nigeriapolitics:

Thanks, history helps d STATE to trace their background/ origin in other to predict the future, it gives confidenc 2d historian to overcome n confront the Eurocentric writers with fact about Africa, A true historian will never feel inferior 2anySTATE (westerners), we ar proud of our culture, our Skin, our language etc in al sector we ar relevant,eg in education: d historical background of educ in 9ja help in reviewing d curriculum from 3R to wat we av now, in aspect of politics we ar also needed eg history of buhari, ojukwu, awolowo, wil enable to make d rite choice etc, let me stop here
Internationa relation/ strategic stu: is abt ao states relate n interact. It helps student 2think strategically, to place d state interest above every oda tin, if our leaders ar historians: Africa wil b d best state n mayb Nigeria will b among d world power, cos deir knowledge abt C. Richelieu, Lious XIV, Thomas jefferson etc will give dem an insight of wat leadership means. HISTORIANS ROCK
O my God...you killed it.... Nice piece dear..... Pls send your whatsapp contacts to this my mail box for more chat... Really want to be your friend.... ayodeleolawepo@yahoo.com.... Looking forward to hearing from you.
Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by Anuoluwapo3054(m): 2:07pm On Dec 28, 2016
nashito:

You re indeed a true diplomat my colleague.
In fact 2 sum it all, "a society that does not know the history of its past, is condemned 2 repeat"
For people who don't know the what history is all bout it.
Here's is ya lik dose of it.....We study history to know the past, by knowing the past we relate it with the present and as well be able to predict the future! this course is a bomb, I've never for one day regretted studying it.
Nigerians are just concerned bout professional courses.
Gbam... Nice one... Proudly historian
Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by Anuoluwapo3054(m): 2:09pm On Dec 28, 2016
Gwazah:

Brother, do u mean all Nigerians must be historians before we can move this country forward? For the fact that one is not a historian does not mean he/she did not know the history of his country. Almost all Nigerians who were born before 80s know the history of Gen Moh'd Buhari's regime yet they voted him in. Religion is our prb in choosing leaders not knowing the past history.
Then why are we still making the mistakes? We are meant to learn from it in order to make good decisions, but we deviated.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by Shakur86(m): 2:11pm On Dec 28, 2016
luvisdkey:
Those 5 courses are the best quote me anywhere.
1. History: any wise person that study the past event will not likely make the same mistakes the other people made. Like the MMM that put many into problem. People that studied such event and those that happen to spoke out but many didn't read. Even bible and Quran are for us to study and to avoid mistakes that people of old make

2. Yoruba language. Here in america, even in Nigeria if you call any help like you will have to pick the language you refer. Those people are the one that studies yoruba language. Not that yoruba that many speak that they can't finish a sentence without adding English

Agriculture: The study of agriculture is what put Nigeria in that level of hunger we are now. Farming is the way.

All those courses are the best
I studies history and international study.
Though I have not receive my certification after 3 years from one university that start with L.
Lagos state University I guess?
Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by Nobody: 2:53pm On Dec 28, 2016
Plus Music
Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by Eromzi(m): 4:47pm On Dec 28, 2016
Really surprised dat some of the courses which should b d life wire of any nation are been handled with levity in our universities of which agriculture is one dem, and if as an agriculturist u feel worthless wen u c and engineer or a medical doc.........u nid locate ur bearing in ur imediate environment, cos pple will Neva stop eating food. am studying computer sci, if I wia to go back to school I would study agric.

1 Like

Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by iammdshola(m): 2:43pm On Dec 29, 2016
deedondavi:

Bro, seriously is transport really underrated ?

How about project management technology?

Not DAT underrated, but some people can be different because of their myopic view, I have a friend that studies transport mgt and he is comfortable with it and doing well

project mgt is even a bigger course as they can work in all sector
Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by Chinks(m): 3:48pm On Dec 29, 2016
Eromzi:
Really surprised dat some of the courses which should b d life wire of any nation are been handled with levity in our universities of which agriculture is one dem, and if as an agriculturist u feel worthless wen u c and engineer or a medical doc.........u nid locate ur bearing in ur imediate environment, cos pple will Neva stop eating food. am studying computer sci, if I wia to go back to school I would study agric.
the set of people that will feel inferior to their counterparts in other fields are those that didn't put in for agric-related courses in the university. For someone like me that obtained a B.tech in animal production and health(FUTA) have never for once regretted it. Maybe it's because of my love for the course anyway. I now see the reasons why 80% of Nigerians can not afford a decent meal.
Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by Apostlebay(m): 9:01pm On Jan 12, 2017
[quote author=shogat post=49324243]There have been series of arguments about the superiority of some courses in Nigerian Tertiary institutions: some students feel their course of study is more important and special than others. Don’t worry, I’m not here to bore you with my opinion about that-maybe I will put that forward another day.

Some courses, students or departments in our schools have been facing this inferiority tag. Because of this, some lose interest in their course or ashamed but we still have the proud ones who don’t care. I still don’t know what people see wrong with these courses that they tend to underrate but here is the list:

The 5 Most Underrated Courses in Nigerian Tertiary Institutions are

1. History

People don’t just see reasons why someone will go and spend four years or more to study past events. History students are always tagged archaic; their discussions and studies are always based on passed dates and events. You might be tempted to feel superior to someone who all what he has to offer is events that happened even before Christ (BC) in this 21st century.

2. Agriculture

Agriculture students are popularly called “farmers”. I don’t know why people look down on this course? Maybe because you always see them in campus with farming tools and in their farm. I am sure others undermine them because they are naive about the fortune they can make with the knowledge of the course. People are going back to Agriculture and embracing it daily, so I believe this should be out of this list soon.

3. Nigerian Languages

“Hey babe! What Course are you studying in school?” and her reply was “Yoruba Language”. My friend bursted into laughter telling me why didn’t she just go to a typical village and mingle with the villagers to learn their language, instead of coming to school. Students studying Nigerian Languages faces this downgrade almost every day in school.

4. Education Courses

Because of the poor treatments being accoladed to teachers in Nigeria, students studying any education course are degraded-students see them as another “suffer head” teacher to be. They have forgotten that without teachers, they won’t be where they are presently and we now have successful teachers making it big.

5. Zoology/Botany

Zoology and Botany are different branches of Biology and what they do is to study plants and animals. Because zoology is related with “Zoo”, other students assumes all the students studying it will end up in the Zoo.

This is serious.
Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by Apostlebay(m): 9:03pm On Jan 12, 2017
This is serious.
Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by rjek: 9:31pm On Jan 12, 2017
INTERMAN:
So what shld those studying it go and do now?
Nice question
Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by Stark7: 2:06am On Jan 13, 2017
Great thread.
Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by rjek: 12:08am On Jan 14, 2017
Stark7:
Great thread.
Yeah
Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by Nobody: 6:38am On Jan 14, 2017
Anuoluwapo3054:
@OP, am a proud graduate of history and International Studies and I can tell that the problems Nigeria is facing today is because we don't have know our history. Our view or rather conceptions about this course is distorted and that is why we are in a sorry state today because we don't learn from the past. Everything we are today has it origin in history (the early man), the technologies we are enjoying today stemmed from history.... Virtually every professional courses today has it's origin in history. Take a look at our past leaders... Like Odumegwu Ojukwu,he was an Historian and many others.... It is only in Nigeria we don't take this course serious seriously, and that's why bad and corrupt leaders will continue to rule us... Now let's go to the international scene... You can not see a citizen of America who doesn't know the history of their land because it is inculcated on them from elementary stage. Until we go back to our history as a nation, we won't get things done because history is the study of the past and the past is being applied to correct the future... So please remove history from that list.
Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by Francis95(m): 3:06pm On Feb 24, 2017
Handsomecole:
@ OP I'm proud graduate of Education.
However, let me state that it depends on the Education course you study.
Using my school and faculty as an example ( Obafemi Awolowo University Great IFE')

My department was Educational Foundations and Counselling (EFC) and I studied EFC and Economics.
I was in two departments at the same time and studied both education courses and the economics courses and we offered all the courses that economics dept students offered.

It wasn't easy studying both courses and maintaining your GP but the success of its completion is very gratifying.

So my dept (EFC) is the only awards two in one degree "( B.Sc Ed Economics)" so you have the opportunity and qualification to venture into the Education sector and non Education sector.

Handsomecole, please lemme have your whatsapp contact, I want to ask you questions concerning Oau
Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by Handsomecole(m): 3:46pm On Feb 24, 2017
+2348136900631
Francis95:

Handsomecole, please lemme have your whatsapp contact, I want to ask you questions concerning Oau
Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by wealthtrak: 6:09am On Jun 14, 2021
shogat:
There have been series of arguments about the superiority of some courses in Nigerian Tertiary institutions: some students feel their course of study is more important and special than others. Don’t worry, I’m not here to bore you with my opinion about that-maybe I will put that forward another day.

Some courses, students or departments in our schools have been facing this inferiority tag. Because of this, some lose interest in their course or ashamed but we still have the proud ones who don’t care. I still don’t know what people see wrong with these courses that they tend to underrate but here is the list:

The 5 Most Underrated Courses in Nigerian Tertiary Institutions are

1. History

People don’t just see reasons why someone will go and spend four years or more to study past events. History students are always tagged archaic; their discussions and studies are always based on passed dates and events. You might be tempted to feel superior to someone who all what he has to offer is events that happened even before Christ (BC) in this 21st century.

2. Agriculture

Agriculture students are popularly called “farmers”. I don’t know why people look down on this course? Maybe because you always see them in campus with farming tools and in their farm. I am sure others undermine them because they are naive about the fortune they can make with the knowledge of the course. People are going back to Agriculture and embracing it daily, so I believe this should be out of this list soon.

3. Nigerian Languages

“Hey babe! What Course are you studying in school?” and her reply was “Yoruba Language”. My friend bursted into laughter telling me why didn’t she just go to a typical village and mingle with the villagers to learn their language, instead of coming to school. Students studying Nigerian Languages faces this downgrade almost every day in school.

4. Education Courses

Because of the poor treatments being accoladed to teachers in Nigeria, students studying any education course are degraded-students see them as another “suffer head” teacher to be. They have forgotten that without teachers, they won’t be where they are presently and we now have successful teachers making it big.

5. Zoology/Botany

Zoology and Botany are different branches of Biology and what they do is to study plants and animals. Because zoology is related with “Zoo”, other students assumes all the students studying it will end up in the Zoo.

Don't forget to share

http://www.mikegist.com/5-underrated-courses-nigerian-tertiary-institutions/
All the courses here are
important.

Even in the U.S., Yoruba is taught
in some Universities because Yoruba language, culture and
religion are popular in the Americas. White and brown
people are adherants of Ifa/Yoruba religion and speak the language
in Brazil, Cuba, USA.

A Yoruba-speaking settlement called
Oyotunji exists in the U.S.

History enables analysts to study
historic patterns which can be used to make money.
Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by wealthtrak: 6:49am On Jun 14, 2021
Anuoluwapo3054:
@OP, am a proud graduate of history and International Studies and I can tell that the problems Nigeria is facing today is because we don't have know our history. Our view or rather conceptions about this course is distorted and that is why we are in a sorry state today because we don't learn from the past. Everything we are today has it origin in history (the early man), the technologies we are enjoying today stemmed from history.... Virtually every professional courses today has it's origin in history. Take a look at our past leaders... Like Odumegwu Ojukwu,he was an Historian and many others.... It is only in Nigeria we don't take this course serious, and that's why bad and corrupt leaders will continue to rule us... Now let's go to the international scene... You can not see a citizen of America who doesn't know the history of their land because it is inculcated on them from elementary stage. Until we go back to our history as a nation, we won't get things done because history is the study of the past and the past is being applied to correct the future... So please remove history from that list.
Well said!

History enables people to study
historic patterns for monetisation and more. Stock market patterns
occur in historic cycles for examples.

1. But then Colonel Ojukwu as a History graduate from a top British
Uni did not learn from past global history, and he made a lot of blunders during the war.

Dragging reluctant non-Ibos such as the Ijaws, Efiks, Ibibios, Anangs, Ejagbams, etc, in the Old Eastern Region into a secession on May 27, 1967.

2. The blind Mid-West invasion by
the secessionist rebels led to more of the Edos, Yorubas, Delta Central and South ethnicities, joining the
Nigerian Army in 1967 was a
blunder.

Those are just two of many blunders made by a History
grad.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Another Missing Person; UNILAG Diploma Female Student (images Below) / Trapped In Girls' Hostel / Unilag Release 2010/2011merit List

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.