Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,843 members, 7,831,730 topics. Date: Saturday, 18 May 2024 at 04:29 AM

Start Your F.M.C.G Distribution Business With N20,000 Initial Capital - Business (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Start Your F.M.C.G Distribution Business With N20,000 Initial Capital (59147 Views)

22% Bi-Monthly Interest Rate On Frozen food distribution business In PH / From BUDDING To MEGA F.M.C.G DISTRIBUTORSHIP Status (Upcountry Only) / N20,000 Changed To N10 Notes In Ibadan, Apata (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Start Your F.M.C.G Distribution Business With N20,000 Initial Capital by IdisuleOurOwn(m): 10:52am On Sep 21, 2016
Babacele:
I sent u an SMS naaa. is it yr old no? let me check.
you sent it to my old number. Please send it to 09032918760. Thanks.
Re: Start Your F.M.C.G Distribution Business With N20,000 Initial Capital by Babacele: 5:05pm On Sep 21, 2016
IdisuleOurOwn:
you sent it to my old number. Please send it to 09032918760. Thanks.
guy yr no is always off.
Re: Start Your F.M.C.G Distribution Business With N20,000 Initial Capital by Karin001(f): 10:55pm On Sep 21, 2016
mrsage:
Product suggestion.

Packaged Ogi also called pap or akamu. I assume it's a relatively new product.

Got it from a supermarket in Ikeja.

I have a picture. Retail price N70.

The contributions as regard suggesting what we should adopt as the initial sales product was a bit discouraging.

We will however not allow that to deter us.

The suggestion on the packaged Ogi, Akamu or Koko was not bad at all. It has a lot of pros including but not limited to the following;

1.The packaging is quite attractive.
2. It is birthed from the stables of a known brand – Bakers Choice.
3.The pricing is also not bad. N70.00 vis-a-vis the quantity/presentation is justifiable.
4. The shelf-life will be reasonable, especially if it has been appropriately dried.

For the purpose for which we want to embark on, I dare say the product is inhibited by the following cons;

This kind of being new and quite innovative in the market will require a lot of pushing, aggressive marketing and detailed merchandising.This implies that the company will have to do as lot of ground work first of all before the distributors accept to tie down their monies. Thus the retailers and distributors will not want to tie down their cash with an uncertain product so the only way to convince them is to provide some form of credit facility like sales on return.

I also do not see it as a very fast moving product at least in the food and beverages sector. My position here is backed by the fact that it is not directly consumable. It still requires some form of process; hot/boiling water before it is ready for consumption.

On the third count the form in which it comes will not be very attractive to health buffs. They will be wondering what could have been added to the corn before packaging. A lot of people who prefer Ogi over pap commit time to buy the corn and process it and sore in a refrigerator or a deep freezer. Again Iya Toyin hawks it to many customers in in her neighbourhood every morning in affordable sizes for immediate use and in a supposedly fresh form.

I may also add here that the product appears quite bulky and maybe a bit difficult to dragging or carry around without developing Olympian biceps.

In contemporary settings, custard is a strong competitor. It has a more modern feel among consumers. So the Ogi will require a lot work to sell. I am positive that it will take many years of large scale expensive propaganda before it comes close to Custard in terms of demand.

The margins for this product will be very low. Do remember that in a previous quote that I had suggested that one of the most important indices to consider in this effort is ‘little wins’.

Summarily, my perception is that too much work will be required here and the results will at best be just pedestrian.

On the whole, this product is a good and very marketable but for newbies this is just a recipe for an early crashing out and despair.

6 Likes

Re: Start Your F.M.C.G Distribution Business With N20,000 Initial Capital by eay(m): 11:44pm On Sep 21, 2016
Wow...I guess I have really missed alot.
Did I just see @samhay, @amicable nd @babacele on this thread? grin wow...it my pleasure oooo.

@karin God bless you for this great paradigm shift of our rigid mindset...you are a big blessing to this generation.
@rose @ego @blackie et al...so good to know you guys of great intellects...ur selfless contributions is very pleasant to the mind.
Two major recipé is required of a FMCG distributor especially as a newbie (although I'm still learning too grin) PASSION and ENTHUSIASM.
We have to develop keen interest in the product and making; more research about the product viz-a-viz studying our target customers to know what they really what to hear about the product.
Of course,there will always be a 'NO' and there will always be discouragement from our close relatives (even from our profit analysis) but ENTHUSIASM keeps us going. Be happy with what you do,because such attitudes birth new ideas and strategies that makes you a prominent entrepreneur.

Lastly...concerning our new product, I will suggest the 'HOLLANDIA YOGHURT' sachet because of its portability and shelf life. It can be served chilled or warm.
It has a wide range of target customers frm school kids to teenagers to undergraduates to working class etc since everybody loves sum quality 'yoghurt' but prefers something cheap (as low as #50)...
Can we still remember how 'bobo' drinks quickly replaced the long bottled 'viju milk' and it quickly left a lasting footprints in the heart of the school kids?
I think the 'HOLLANDIA SACHET YOGHURT' can follow that trend too.

Cheers!

1 Like

Re: Start Your F.M.C.G Distribution Business With N20,000 Initial Capital by Karin001(f): 11:47pm On Sep 21, 2016
MnenaSadiku:
I also have a suggestion.

Bread. Most people eat bread everyday. So I guess it qualifies as an FMCG product. What do you think, Karin?

Bread sales and indeed some other bakery sales is an all-time winner and in every clime. I have read of many bakeries that produce hundreds of thousands of loaves and they have developed a distinctive distributive channel that ensures that bread gets to the Consumers table within 24 hours.

I really don’t have statistics to back up my assertion but I daresay that bread is the most sought after staple worldwide maybe competing with rice to some extent. Nigerians are great bread consumers. Bread consumption is simply elastic in this country. Even with the sharp increase in the cost of the major raw materials occasioned by a whopping of the Naira by the dollar which put pressure on the prices, we still consume bread in all forms, shapes and sizes. The queues in various good bakeries, the bread hawkers on major roads and junctions and the Agege bread pyramids moving around in the mornings is a testament to that fact. We are a large landmass with an equally very large population density. Bread moves around a lot. It proves to be a very good product and can be classified as an F.M.C.G. I also know that margins on bread are quite reasonable.

In summary therefore, we can say that three most attractive attributes of bread as an F.M.C.G product for this product are;

1.Bread is widely consumed in Nigeria. Just about everybody eats bread regularly.

2.It is a regular staple and is eaten in many forms; as a constituent of a meal, and sometimes on its own. It can be eaten at just about any time of the day.

3.The margins on sales of bread are quite reasonable. If you observe carefully bread sellers change their vehicles somewhat regularly. This may be an indicator that the business is viable.

What constrains from adopting bread as a product for our launch can be seen as below.

As in most other good products, there is a proliferation of bakeries and the product. The market has been turned to a red ocean where it is a survival of the fittest. It’s a dog eat dog fight. The competition is very keen such that if you don’t have a niche you will find it difficult to sell.

A second hindrance is the fact that bread is a lot of bulk. If you are to sell bread for a particular neighbourhood successfully, you must own a car, bus or space-bus type of vehicle. The scramble for the market also requires a lot of aggressiveness to remain in the forefront. Also note that bread is an early morning affair. Most distributors are already in the bakery by 4.00am. Some actually sleep in some make-shift situation within the confines of the bakery.
There is also a large possibility to make steep losses. When you buy from a bakery, you are not allowed to return the bread where you haven’t finished selling all you products within a specific time frame.

The pricing for bread is also now very volatile. Too many inconsistencies. The above practically demonstrates that bread as an F.M.C.G product does not fit our purpose a least for now.

All the same keep trying and by all means learn.

2 Likes

Re: Start Your F.M.C.G Distribution Business With N20,000 Initial Capital by samhay: 12:54am On Sep 22, 2016
eay:
Did I just see @samhay, @amicable nd @babacele on this thread? grin wow...it my pleasure oooo.

@karin God bless you for this great paradigm shift of our rigid mindset...you are a big blessing to this generation.
@rose @ego @blackie et al...so good to know you guys of great intellects...ur selfless contributions is very pleasant to the mind.
Two major recipé is required of a FMCG distributor especially as a newbie (although I'm still learning too grin) PASSION and ENTHUSIASM.
We have to develop keen interest in the product and making; more research about the product viz-a-viz studying our target customers to know what they really what to hear about the product.
Of course,there will always be a 'NO' and there will always be discouragement from our close relatives (even from our profit analysis) but ENTHUSIASM keeps us going. Be happy with what you do,because such attitudes birth new ideas and strategies that makes you a prominent entrepreneur.

Lastly...concerning our new product, I will suggest the 'HOLLANDIA YOGHURT' sachet because of its portability and shelf life. It can be served chilled or warm.
It has a wide range of target customers frm school kids to teenagers to undergraduates to working class etc since everybody loves sum quality 'yoghurt' but prefers something cheap (as low as #50)...
Can we still remember how 'bobo' drinks quickly replaced the long bottled 'viju milk' and it quickly left a lasting footprints in the heart of the school kids?

Cheers!

Boss,I hail o,am just catching up on things going on here o.

Great job!!!
Re: Start Your F.M.C.G Distribution Business With N20,000 Initial Capital by latestarter: 4:29am On Sep 22, 2016
Karin,

Great analyses. I enjoyed your thinking as usual but I expected your recommendation or suggestion to come in as you promised. You said the first will come in by Wednesday and the second Thursday. Please spill it. Many of us are waiting eagerly. I believe you have a product which you may have thought out well. May be when you reveal it, there may be more contributions to fine tune

2 Likes

Re: Start Your F.M.C.G Distribution Business With N20,000 Initial Capital by chelseababy(f): 5:08am On Sep 22, 2016
Pls am waiting for the product you have in mind
Re: Start Your F.M.C.G Distribution Business With N20,000 Initial Capital by rose75(f): 5:47am On Sep 22, 2016
latestarter:
Karin,

Great analyses. I enjoyed your thinking as usual but I expected your recommendation or suggestion to come in as you promised. You said the first will come in by Wednesday and the second Thursday. Please spill it. Many of us are waiting eagerly. I believe you have a product which you may have thought out well. May be when you reveal it, there may be more contributions to fine tune

Seconded!
Re: Start Your F.M.C.G Distribution Business With N20,000 Initial Capital by rose75(f): 6:22am On Sep 22, 2016
Hi Karin,

It's a pity you're not impressed with the products suggestions and lack of it.
Liken this situation to a classroom scenario where the students are eagerly waiting to be tutored, only for the teacher to tell them to write the lesson notes. Your guess is as good as mine pertaining what the outcome will be.

Ignorance of products to sell profitably is the reason some people are still outta the business circle.

You've decided to implement the plan based on your personal experience, please just do that.
Should you wait for suggestions, this dilly dally will continue.

3 Likes

Re: Start Your F.M.C.G Distribution Business With N20,000 Initial Capital by Karin001(f): 8:36am On Sep 22, 2016
This should have been posted last night but I wasn’t bargaining with typing fatigue and of course my primary obligations which include hubby and kids among other things.

My sincere apologies.

I will ensure that you get all perspectives today and this stage will be done unless there are reservations, comments and further suggestions which could lead to a realignment.

So after seriously considering all positions, I decided to incline to the option of re-enacting my experience through others in the thread. I will guide the interested participants through the sales of snacks. Two snacks will be adopted here. For those in the outlined locations above we will start with Doughnuts and chin-chin.

For people who are interested from other locations in Lagos, I suggest you start with Chin-chin; details will follow subsequently.

Now, I will quickly add that the information I intend to share here will be anchored on universal principles and as such can be adapted to suit other products especially those of the fast moving variety. Apart from the direct participants whom I will prefer choose exactly the same product for uniformity in the guidance others can simply adapt the model and use it to suit their own peculiarities.

The basic requirement here will be that you apply the principles to the letter.

Now you may want to ask; why doughnuts? Why chin-chin.

The most practical response to this question among other responses is that I have experienced these products very well. Both of them I sold in Lagos and one of them here in Port Harcourt with some measure of success.

In my next post (coming very soon) I will do a proper analysis of both products.

I will show how we will approach the sales of these products with small wins every day.

I will demonstrate how participants in the different locations in Nigeria can also benefit from this plan almost immediately.

Finally, I will share with you what I assume this entire exercise can transform into. It can be so big, really big if we can stand firm and avoid pettiness. Explanations may not be today but before the weekend runs through.

2 Likes

Re: Start Your F.M.C.G Distribution Business With N20,000 Initial Capital by dosht(f): 8:51am On Sep 22, 2016
This is what I've been waiting for. I represent Ajah to Epe
Re: Start Your F.M.C.G Distribution Business With N20,000 Initial Capital by Karin001(f): 10:51am On Sep 22, 2016
Doughnuts:

I will start by saying that the sales of doughnuts using this is not my idea so I cannot take credit for it in its entirety. It is a model that has been used successfully by many experienced sales persons.

Jam filled doughnuts is my preference here. The doughnut is priced for 50.00 per unit and it is packed in units of 50 divided in two big bags holding 25 pieces each.

The doughnut is an early morning/midday product. it also sells during the day. It is a snack that many people like if it is well made. In all my experience doughnut is very fast selling because of its general appeal.

Just like all other snack products, the margin is very small for the entire distribution spectrum.

The manufacturer has the smallest margin per unit but makes profit when he produces very high volumes, the distributor makes a larger chunk and sells an a somewhat large volume while the retailer sells for the largest margin.

It is important to state here from the very beginning that the jam doughnut has a very short lifespan.
It is best consumed within 24 hours of production. It can however last for 3 days. Truthfully, I don’t think it will last beyond three days. But please note that this short shelf life can be an advantage. It will spur you to create a market for the product and widen it as much as possible.

On starting the doughnut sales, it is important that you start very small. On your first day I do not think that you should start with an investment of more than 5 bags (250 pieces). Secondly do not give the retailers, whether they be shops or Mallam kiosks more than a dozen pieces initially. Then you grow them gradually.

When I kicked off my doughnut project in Lagos I was advised on how to go about it and I found that a very simple yet very effective model. I was asked to identify schools in my immediate neighbourhood that had large population densities and start from there. I can attest to the fact this was the most incredibly profitable experience I ever had.

On the first day I sold only one bag (50 pieces) and on credit too. The following day I sold 5 bags because that’s all I went with. I was able to eventually sell 15 bags a day. Now, all I was making by way of profit was just 100.00 per bag, which translated to 1,500 per day, 7,500 per week and 30,000 profit per month from just one school.

Now imagine that you are selling this product in just 5 schools within your area what do you think it will translate to. Even if you make only 50.00 per bag do not be worried because what will then happen is that you will broaden your sales horizon, increase your sales volume and you will still be making a lot of money.

So as your very first step in this process take a quick and detailed survey and identify the big schools in your neighbourhood. They could be public or private schools. It doesn’t matter which. Now the approach you use for each school may be different from one another. In some schools especially the public schools, the authorities will refer you to the school approved vendors.

In the big private schools, they may send you to the Home Economics department. You must note that some Schools already have their own home economics department and they are already producing stuff for sale.

The school is a market by virtue of its population and everybody is always trying to take advantage of this potential. One way or the other you must meet and convince whoever is in-charge to buy your doughnuts. Trust me, whatever it may cost you in terms of time, visits, bribes and whatever you three months financials will show that it is worth it. Just imagine that you have just 5 of these schools in your kitty, it will strengthen your resolve to fly. Furthermore, if you can get what is described as a school complex into your fold, then your bread is buttered completely.

As a matter of concern, when doing your projections please remember that there will be a lull immediately schools close for holidays. you must as a matter of fact plan properly and take due note of the long holidays. there will be very low sales during that period and I can assure you that if you had not planned very well your capital will be eroded.

3 Likes

Re: Start Your F.M.C.G Distribution Business With N20,000 Initial Capital by mukhcech(m): 10:51am On Sep 22, 2016
Karin001:

This should have been posted last night but I wasn’t bargaining with typing fatigue and of course my primary obligations which include hubby and kids among other things.

My sincere apologies.

I will ensure that you get all perspectives today and this stage will be done unless there are reservations, comments and further suggestions which could lead to a realignment.

So after seriously considering all positions, I decided to incline to the option of re-enacting my experience through others in the thread. I will guide the interested participants through the sales of snacks. Two snacks will be adopted here. For those in the outlined locations above we will start with Doughnuts and chin-chin.

For people who are interested from other locations in Lagos, I suggest you start with Chin-chin; details will follow subsequently.

Now, I will quickly add that the information I intend to share here will be anchored on universal principles and as such can be adapted to suit other products especially those of the fast moving variety. Apart from the direct participants whom I will prefer choose exactly the same product for uniformity in the guidance others can simply adapt the model and use it to suit their own peculiarities.

The basic requirement here will be that you apply the principles to the letter.

Now you may want to ask; why doughnuts? Why chin-chin.

The most practical response to this question among other responses is that I have experienced these products very well. Both of them I sold in Lagos and one of them here in Port Harcourt with some measure of success.

In my next post (coming very soon) I will do a proper analysis of both products.

I will show how we will approach the sales of these products with small wins every day.

I will demonstrate how participants in the different locations in Nigeria can also benefit from this plan almost immediately.

Finally, I will share with you what I assume this entire exercise can transform into. It can be so big, really big if we can stand firm and avoid pettiness. Explanations may not be today but before the weekend runs through.

Eureka!!! Your Product is Chin- chin and Doughnuts. Then mine is Chin-Chin and Peanuts. why? em coming ....em having lots of butterflies in my tommy. Karin001 May Allah guide you, increase you in goodness, Piety and righteousness. aameeen

Now em feeling so powerful. I wasnt like this yesterday before I stumbled on this thread. Did I just said stumbled. No I didn't stumbled, I was deliberately looking for a way out........MODIFIED!!! I think I'll rather keep calm and keep my testimony till after my success which em hopeful of.

2 Likes

Re: Start Your F.M.C.G Distribution Business With N20,000 Initial Capital by Karin001(f): 11:04am On Sep 22, 2016
I will take a break now and will continue later in the day but you have my assurances that we will complete the analysis on the products today. On resumption we will together complete the doughnuts and then we will talk about the chin-chin which will be quite a long post since it has so much potential.

The chin-chin will aspect of this expose will be adaptable for the whole country and we will attempt to see how we can all benefit with minimal capital. For every challenge there is always a solution(mostly so nearby)...........if we look at it very carefully.
Re: Start Your F.M.C.G Distribution Business With N20,000 Initial Capital by Nobody: 11:44am On Sep 22, 2016
madam I really cannot thank u enough for this insight and powerful information worth millions ure giving out for free.pls I wanna ask if pple from sango ota in ogun state can be part of it. uve made me realize dat am a fool if I couldn't start something with wat I have ,money. is not an excuse

2 Likes

Re: Start Your F.M.C.G Distribution Business With N20,000 Initial Capital by matoxy(m): 3:37pm On Sep 22, 2016
Been following right from the beginning. It has really ginger me up. As per the chin chin, hope this can be extended to Ilorin, Kwara State.
Re: Start Your F.M.C.G Distribution Business With N20,000 Initial Capital by dannB(m): 4:25pm On Sep 22, 2016
Guys, what about fruit juice? I think it will be easily to market to target audience in as much it is quality. Also, it is FMCG product. I am sure it will also sell fast. What do you think?
Re: Start Your F.M.C.G Distribution Business With N20,000 Initial Capital by lexaydfg(m): 4:44pm On Sep 22, 2016
lexaydfg:
I started reading this thread around 5pm and now I am here....

First and foremost, I want to appreciate the effort of karin001, may God bless you. This is what I have been praying and searching for some time. To start-up a business and someone to mentor me, this is the right place to be.

Pertaining to the products you say we should mention, I haven't done a deep research about the business but I have been thinking about it.

PACKAGING OF LOCUST BEANS... Don't really know much about the business but this is what I have been thinking. what's your take on it?

Please, karin001, I am ready to learn and interested when the project start up even if I have to borrow to start this business. I really need to start doing something with my life and forget about gaining employment but rather be self-employed .

Once again thanks for this thread.. I'm following this thread and you(karin001,rose75,egopersonifined, blackie and others) May God bless you all.

The doughnut and chin-chin business is a welcome idea,
you have excelled in the distribution of this product. You have done it in Lagos and Port Harcourt successfully. You already know the product well, you know the market well and you know the ups and downs of the business.
Madam karin001, please I'm interested in doing this business, my spirit, soul and body is interested and with determination and patience I believe I will thrive in this business, I stay around alimosho axis( I.e iyana paja, ikotun, egbeda, isheri-igando, lasu etc).

I'm a newbie in this business but with your help ma and other great people on this thread I believe we shall make it. The little experience I have is, my friend and I go to different shops in lagos to market lapel brooch and bowties and I have also sold pop-corn in banks with my cousins bro.

I believe alimosho axis is a good place to do this business, there are many schools, supermarket, banks and even shops in my area I can talk to and hopefully with time I should be able to sell 20 bags and more daily.

The challenge that one can face is just yourself.. I read some where on this thread that says no one can stop you from succeeding but yourself, so I don't think there is any challenge that can stop you but yourself.

Please ooo... I still dey talk am ooo... I wan participate for this business abeg ooo....

Thanks and God bless madam karin001 and everyone that has contributed positively to my life.

Yeeeeey!!!!! I see my self making it in this business....

2 Likes

Re: Start Your F.M.C.G Distribution Business With N20,000 Initial Capital by Nobody: 5:02pm On Sep 22, 2016
Ma'am karin001.

I really appreciate your efforts. We're following closely.

#TeamNewbie
Re: Start Your F.M.C.G Distribution Business With N20,000 Initial Capital by Karin001(f): 7:02pm On Sep 22, 2016
dannB:
Guys, what about fruit juice? I think it will be easily to market to target audience in as much it is quality. Also, it is FMCG product. I am sure it will also sell fast. What do you think?

Very true but if it is already in the market through the traditional distribution network then it will be difficult for you to sell.

Fruit juices and other drinks sell seriously but I assure you that they all have an existing sales process and you really cannot penetrate without difficulty.
Re: Start Your F.M.C.G Distribution Business With N20,000 Initial Capital by Karin001(f): 7:18pm On Sep 22, 2016
eay:

Cheers!

Oga, thanks for your succinct contribution.

Your observations are very on point.
Passion and enthusiasm backed by massive and consistent action is the bedrock of success in the FMCG model and indeed any endeavour that anyone embarks on.

This is however a whole topic by itself and I assure you that by the time we are have identified the areas and the participants and are ready to start we will discuss these two concepts and related matters and I will bring to fore the little experience I have here.

Your suggestion about the Hollandia Yoghurt is beautiful and well thought out. You have a firm understanding of this sector already. Chi Industries is a very focused company with delightful products from their stable.

When I started this thread I considered some of these products including Hollandia Yoghurt, Hollandia Milk and even some other products from Haansbro called Milka. I think that at the moment this is the fastest selling FMCG product in the market. It is very quiet and yet very successful and I can tell that many adults, especially men have never seen this product but it is awsome. This product sells like crazy. Priced at 10.00 per sachet it moves so fast.

I also thought of another product from Hollandia which was a ready to eat custard packed in sachets and sold for 50.00.

I am however not interested in all these popular products. I do not wish to compete in the market place with already established distributors.

What my model specifies is that I sell products in my neighbourhood that will be difficult to find in the local market. That gives me exclusivity and latitude to play around and make some profits.

Essentially, what I am saying here is not that the product does not sell, on the contrary these are very fast moving products but the distribution process has been cornered by the deep pocketed Distributors who are situated in the major markets of Lagos.

So in my desire to excel, I will develop a long term plan and start small with a reasonably new product from a small/medium business and ensure that the product demand in my chosen territory is at its peak. Thus I will be the 'golden girl' primarily because the demand for my product will be high while I can be the only one to provide this service.

That gives me a little edge over my regular competitors who are fixed location distributors.

That is the general idea.

1 Like

Re: Start Your F.M.C.G Distribution Business With N20,000 Initial Capital by Karin001(f): 8:28pm On Sep 22, 2016
Doughnuts cont;

In our earlier post on doughnuts we mentioned that one of the best locations for sales is large schools. And very true too. I also added that there has to be adequate planning for the holidays when the demand will naturally drop.

So how does one manage with this drop? The solution is to understand that your market generation must be a continuous process. At no point must you rest on your oars. You must continuously deepen your market while at the same time widening the market in a latitudinal mode. New places within your territory must be discovered and uncovered.

This translates to an increase in sales during the school term and some measure of sales during the holidays instead of a zero sales situation.

The second thing that will help you stabilize your business and reduce your costs and thus increase your profitability is that you are going to draw your profit from not just one product but two, then three and then four and so it keeps growing. After a while you will be the most sought after person in the neighbourhood.

Please note that there will be logistics cost in selling. We have to look for a way to mitigate the traditional business costs. It is for this reason that I will suggest that you do not need the traditional approach in selling your products. Ordinarily, to become a distributor in a structured company you would have to rent a respectable shop in a good location, apply for the distributorship, pay a deposit to the company, get an approval before paying for your first consignment. We are however discarding that process and jumping over all the steps.

Ours is to identify a product that has potential from a good company and become a mobile distributor taking it to the retailer and taking our money.

We will build our territory very fast such that when those goods are required what will then happen is that whenever a call is generated by the customer, the company will route it back to us in our individual territories. So there will technically be no shop. The cost of shop space will be transferred to other cost centers like logistics and recharge cards.

Thirdly, in order to increase our profitability whatwe will need to do is to carry other products and sell them side by side with the other products.
I will provide an instance here. If you see the cyclists in the various towns who sell a popular brand of cheap ice-cream and milk shakes you will notice that unlike previously when they use to market only ice-creams, these days they have attached baskets where they sell varied snacks.

So while making commissions from their company for selling ice-cream they also use the same opportunity and resources to sell other products. When I was still residing in Lagos my typical day began with ensuring that my consistent clients for doughnuts were served early in the morning every week day. I will then attempt to create new markets for doughnuts and then I will attend to the chin-chin. Now the chin-chin comes in three different pack (I understand that it will soon to be four) sizes.

In my neighbourhood then I so pushed the chin-chin that it was available in every shop, kiosk and supermarket. I will discuss the chin-chin sales subsequently but for now we will continue and complete the doughnut sales plan and approach.

At the end of the analysis we will then look at how your earnings should look like in three months commencing 3rd October 2016 till 18th December 2016. What I will show there can be described as a conservative the sales forecast and profitability projection for sales of Doughnuts by Snack Sales Newbie in Lagos.

1 Like

Re: Start Your F.M.C.G Distribution Business With N20,000 Initial Capital by lexaydfg(m): 8:58pm On Sep 22, 2016
I'm following,
Re: Start Your F.M.C.G Distribution Business With N20,000 Initial Capital by rose75(f): 9:32pm On Sep 22, 2016
"Jam filled doughnuts is my preference here. The doughnut is priced for 50.00 per unit and it is packed in units of 50 divided in two big bags holding 25 pieces each".

Hi Karin,

Thanks for job well done.
Reference to the above quote, could you please address these concerns:

- Is this #50.00 the wholesale or retail price?

- Are the individual pieces packaged separately inside the bags?
Re: Start Your F.M.C.G Distribution Business With N20,000 Initial Capital by Karin001(f): 9:46pm On Sep 22, 2016
rose75:
"Jam filled doughnuts is my preference here. The doughnut is priced for 50.00 per unit and it is packed in units of 50 divided in two big bags holding 25 pieces each".

Hi Karin,

50.00 is the recommended retail price.

I don't know the current wholesale price but I could find out when ready.

There is primary packaging for the doughnut, which is a sachet, and then they are secondarily packed in large transparent cellophane bags and sealed with cello-tape.

Each bag carries 25 pieces and they are sold as bags where fifty pieces constitutes 1 bag.

I hope that explains it properly. I havent seen it in about two years but I intend to upload pictures of it eventually.

1 Like

Re: Start Your F.M.C.G Distribution Business With N20,000 Initial Capital by mukhcech(m): 9:52pm On Sep 22, 2016
rose75:
Hi Karin,

Is this Rose from Unilorin?
Re: Start Your F.M.C.G Distribution Business With N20,000 Initial Capital by mbagideon(m): 11:09pm On Sep 22, 2016
aunty Karin I guess you're a saviour to some of us in this recession period am actually very interested in this biz and my location which is the ojo area in Lagos is quietly densely populated I do think the business model would really work here also
Re: Start Your F.M.C.G Distribution Business With N20,000 Initial Capital by latestarter: 11:57pm On Sep 22, 2016
Karin,

Thanks. It is getting better

1 Like

Re: Start Your F.M.C.G Distribution Business With N20,000 Initial Capital by Karin001(f): 12:26am On Sep 23, 2016
latestarter:
Karin,

Thanks. It is getting better

Thanks too.
Re: Start Your F.M.C.G Distribution Business With N20,000 Initial Capital by Karin001(f): 12:29am On Sep 23, 2016
CHIN-CHIN

This product like many other products in the market today will amaze you in terms of the transformation it can bring to your life.

The rewards start very small and grow incrementally to surprising proportions.

It has been proven time and time again that sustainable wealth is grown from a solid foundation and in measured, stable and consistent steps.

Flying to the top of the ladder without experiencing every rung may only lead you to a great fall reminiscent of the Nursery rhyme icon Humpty Dumpty.

Start small, work hard and smart, observe closely, review your strategy, and stay focused on the goal.

Learn the necessary lessons with gratitude and try not to repeat mistakes.

Listen inwardly and most importantly you must create for yourself regular periods of inward and outward tranquility where you can actually stay quiet, consider or visualize your goal, review your approach/strategy, assess your strides so far, evaluate your activity thus far and draw the necessary inspiration to fire you on.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Start Your F.M.C.G Distribution Business With N20,000 Initial Capital by Karin001(f): 12:38am On Sep 23, 2016
The chin-chin project must start small especially with newbies.

Now, it is more profitable to start as a large distributor because the company will help you with some incentives which may include rebates and discounts. But I can assure you that you will still have a tough time offloading a totally new product without Legwork and aggressive sales canvassing and merchandising.

Whichever option you choose a lot of work is still going to be involved. You can count on that as fact.

Imagine that you are given 800 bags of chin-chin which is a small busload and it is offloaded into your home in Ajah, Lagos on a Sunday morning. Let us further assume that you have never sold anything like chin-chin before in your life, how will you start? I assure you that within three months a lot of it will still be there. I have found out that even with products that have the highest possibility of doing well in the market, the experienced trader always starts small and gauges the acceptability of the product before taking a plunge.

If on the contrary, I give you just ten bags of chin-chin and ask you to sell it and you start by introducing just one bag to your neighbours and they like it, and then you take two bags as you're going to drop kids in school and introduce it to co-parents at the car park you will be making progress slowly but steadily. You will be selling slowly but you will be learning a lot. Some things that are taken for granted by the big distributors will be taken more seriously by you. So the approach to selling the chin-chin will be slightly different from the doughnuts. Again selling it will be reflect the local peculiarities of the different locations.

I will talk now from my experience. I have experimented with selling different types of chin-chin in the last two years but I decided after a proper evaluation to stick with just one company and grow my business from there.

Your choice of product/company will be determined by your detailed consideration of a number of variables such as quality, quantity, packaging, logistics support, pricing incentives and a number of other factors.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply)

Alibaba.com Will Make You Poor / Four Major Events Since CBN Announced Naira Notes Redesign / South African Student That Squandered N392m Accidentally Found In Her Account

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.