Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,154 members, 7,818,494 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:17 PM

Soludo is the PDP Candidate (Anambra) - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Soludo is the PDP Candidate (Anambra) (5582 Views)

Soludo Is Confused, Has Lost Touch With Reality- Fani Kayode / Billboard War In Lagos As PDP Candidate Clips Campaign Advert With APC- Pictured / Chukwuma Soludo Is Living Large - Says Sahara Reporters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Soludo is the PDP Candidate (Anambra) by Fhemmmy: 3:34pm On Oct 10, 2009
koolchicco:

I cant beliv that Turia Yaradull has become so powerful in Naija. shocked angry

that is a shock to me too oh
Re: Soludo is the PDP Candidate (Anambra) by koolchicco: 3:41pm On Oct 10, 2009
Fhemmmy:

that is a shock to me too oh

Danm!Even Stella OBJ was not this powerful cum politicized.So sickening! angry
Re: Soludo is the PDP Candidate (Anambra) by Kratos007(m): 3:42pm On Oct 10, 2009
guys!!!
Turai is YarAdua and YarAdua is Turai!
Re: Soludo is the PDP Candidate (Anambra) by bennony: 4:08pm On Oct 10, 2009
Soludo is better than any one of the 47 PDP aspirants.

If truly it was by force that he was chosen to be the candidate, that will be, to me, achieving good by any means necessary.

However, I am sure that the Aguata Judge will not find the whole Abuja process funny at all. The court stopped any kind of process that will produce a candidate from taking place until it decides but still they went to Abuja to do whatever.

I sense that monday will be a bad day for Soludo.
Re: Soludo is the PDP Candidate (Anambra) by TheSeeker(m): 5:29pm On Oct 10, 2009
This is what you get when you put up a stupid man as a president. That good-for-nothing Turai giving orders in a country when she barely have control over her frivolous and disgracing kids.
Re: Soludo is the PDP Candidate (Anambra) by totalfact(m): 5:47pm On Oct 10, 2009
Yes!
Nchara you are somehow tribalistic. Pls scale up! Nigeria is 1! Do not divide us!

Thanks for taking to correction!
Re: Soludo is the PDP Candidate (Anambra) by MUZBO(m): 5:52pm On Oct 10, 2009
I heard Turai is sucking Yaradua's brain cells with one device like that. I don't know the name but naturally I call it brain-cell sucker. No fear guys, its a controlled device. These women are power drunk sha. Some of them'll do anything!
Re: Soludo is the PDP Candidate (Anambra) by danexd(m): 6:11pm On Oct 10, 2009
Soludo is good for Anambra in my own opinion but i believe it will be like imposing Fashola on the people of Lagos state and as long as this continues in our political system our chance of getting good governance is one 0.5/10
Re: Soludo is the PDP Candidate (Anambra) by igboboy3(m): 6:17pm On Oct 10, 2009
sad[/color][color=#000099] I can't believe that Turai is now having so much power. She is only a first lady not the President. Very soon, She will be representing Nigeria at official events. Even Michelle Obama no dey 'control' things like this angry
Re: Soludo is the PDP Candidate (Anambra) by declem(m): 6:27pm On Oct 10, 2009
na turai be our president ohhhhhhhhh, anambra own don finish, i pity them
Re: Soludo is the PDP Candidate (Anambra) by chosen04(f): 6:34pm On Oct 10, 2009
banom:

ALL ANAMBRARIANS , PRAISE THE LORD ,

THE LORD IS GOOD, ALL THE TIME

Banom,

I join u to sing and praise the lord for "our dear state"

But, am a fan of good governace, thus i support NGIGI to win.
Re: Soludo is the PDP Candidate (Anambra) by koolchicco: 6:38pm On Oct 10, 2009
^^I didn't know u were from Anambra state. lipsrsealed undecided
Re: Soludo is the PDP Candidate (Anambra) by TheSeeker(m): 6:42pm On Oct 10, 2009
declem:

na turai be our president ohhhhhhhhh, anambra own don finish, i pity them
Imagine two bloodless fools deciding who becomes the governor of a whole state. We have sold ourselves so each to these stupid rats running Nigeria as if it's their nuclear family. Very soon we'll have them both deciding what color to change the Nigeria flag to.
Re: Soludo is the PDP Candidate (Anambra) by IGWEUSA(m): 7:02pm On Oct 10, 2009
TheSeeker:

Imagine two bloodless fools deciding who becomes the governor of a whole state. We have sold ourselves so each to these stupid rats running Nigeria as if it's their nuclear family. Very soon we'll have them both deciding what color to change the Nigeria flag to.
I think it's hightime you guys should stop spearheading all these false insinuations . . . . the Anambra state PDP failed to elect a candidate in their purported primaries mared with counter court injuctions . . also, their super delegates which includes past and present PDP office holders were not able to choose a consensus candidate. Hence, the PDP hierachy has exercised all the available democratic process within the ambit of their party's constitution but all to no avail . . . this places the onus solely on the party leaders to pick a candidate inorder to beat the INEC deadline. . .Even if yaradua or his wife played a role in the picking of Soludo, it isnt bad at all . . thats what Chuba Okadigbo called political arithmetic.
Re: Soludo is the PDP Candidate (Anambra) by Giantafric: 7:19pm On Oct 10, 2009
Nigerian tricks, and corrupt practices induced into so called PDP Candidates,  I pity Anambrarians if possible PDP gain control over you, sorry!!!!!!!God have mercy,  embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed shocked shocked shocked shocked sad sad, and how can a woman decide for what will happen in anambra, shame to so called men in PDP,
Re: Soludo is the PDP Candidate (Anambra) by biggjoe(m): 7:56pm On Oct 10, 2009
Any way the election goes now, WE anambra people stand to gain.

All the candidates selected are good.

Imagine Ngige, Soludo and Obi. What more can any state ask for. I prefer them in that order.

God is blessing the people of Anambra while most guys are here whinning and weeping for us. Who cares anyway.
Re: Soludo is the PDP Candidate (Anambra) by semid4lyfe(m): 9:09pm On Oct 10, 2009
Charles Soludo ko, Chris Uba ni! No PDP candidate can defeat Chris Ngige in a FREE and FAIR election.

As usual, I expect PDP to do some electoral abracadabra.
Re: Soludo is the PDP Candidate (Anambra) by toritsheju: 10:18pm On Oct 10, 2009
koolchicco:

I cant beliv that Turia Yaradull has become so powerful in Naija. shocked angry

NA SO WE SEE AM O, BUT WHAT DO WE XPECT ANYWAY THE PRESIDENT IS TOO ILL, THE VICE PRESIDENT ISN'T MAKING ANY IMPACT(THE GUY IS BARELY EVEN VISIBLE),SOMEONE'S GOT TO STEP UP TO THE PLATE. ABEG THE WOMAN IS TOO MUCH, SHE SHOULD CARRY ON. THAT'S WHAT WE GET FOR JUST FOLDING OUR ARMS(150 MILLION STRONG O cry) AND ALLOWING TWO WEAKLINGS TRY TO RUN THE COUNTRY.ITS JUST SO SAD
Re: Soludo is the PDP Candidate (Anambra) by oge4real(f): 10:42pm On Oct 10, 2009
Ngige will give him a run for his money. The only problem is dt the votes will never be counted. So its likely Soludo will get the seat afterall.
Re: Soludo is the PDP Candidate (Anambra) by anonimi: 2:52am On Oct 11, 2009
oge4real:

Ngige will give him a run for his money. The only problem is dt the votes will never be counted. So its likely Soludo will get the seat afterall.

and i expect the anambra people despite having so many scholars and brave ones among them will fold their arms and let it happen only to come hear saying na leaders be the 9ja problem
how many thugs can PDP send?
how many eligible voters are in anambra??
what is the ratio of thugs to the citizens
Re: Soludo is the PDP Candidate (Anambra) by agabaI23(m): 2:58am On Oct 11, 2009
Nchara:

KShow1
How many political assasinations have you recorded in the East? We are not talking of the south west and its killing mentality. Igbos fightand bicker like any normal person would, but we do not kill ourselves for politic like the wetie people of SW. Ok?
Say what you know. Mind you I am Igbo too.

They kill not more than 2 months ago, a group of delegates going for a political burial were assainated because Chris and his cohorts believe the guy whose father was being buried is a nobody and does not deserve a PDP delegation from different states. Widows were made.

So this your tribal stuff.
Re: Soludo is the PDP Candidate (Anambra) by Onlytruth(m): 3:00am On Oct 11, 2009
anonimi:

and i expect the anambra people despite having so many scholars and brave ones among them will fold their arms and let it happen only to come hear saying na leaders be the 9ja problem
how many thugs can PDP send?
how many eligible voters are in anambra??
what is the ratio of thugs to the citizens

What is the ratio of Nigerian army to Nigerian population? How can 120,000 troops control 150 million people?
Ol boy say what makes sense. Who wants to confront an armed thug bare handed
Re: Soludo is the PDP Candidate (Anambra) by Nobody: 3:13am On Oct 11, 2009
Anambra Poll: PDP Settles for Soludo
•Protests trail selection •Obi accepted as APGA candidate
From Nosike Ogbuenyi and Chuks Okocha in Abuja, 10.10.2009

Amidst protests from other aggrieved aspirants and party faithful, the Peoples Democratic Party yesterday evening settled for the former governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, Prof. Charles Chukwuma Soludo as its candidate for the 2010 gubernatorial election in Anambra State.
Earlier in the day, the Independent National Electoral Commission had accepted incumbent governor, Peter Obi, as the candidate of the All Progressives Grand Alliance.
The Victor Umeh-led faction of APGA got INEC’s nod to field Governor Obi after the candidate of the rival Okorie-led faction of the party, George Ozodonobi, was ostensibly rejected by the commission as a result of a court ruling against it.
The decision to select Soludo was reached by the party after a stalemate in Abuja by its statutory delegates and 47 aspirants who refused to agree to the election of a consensus candidate to fly the flag of the party at the forthcoming election.
Following the party’s selection, Soludo’s name and that of Senator Emmanuel Anosike as his running mate were immediately rushed to INEC by the PDP, but failed to beat the 6 p.m. deadline yesterday for all the political parties to submit the names of their candidates for the election.
Sources said the choice of Soludo was influenced by the presidency. “After the stalemated election, the National Executive Committee of the party wanted Nicholas Ukachukwu, but a directive from the presidency changed all that. We had to abide by the decision,” a source told THISDAY.
Prior to Soludo’s selection, statutory delegates and aspirants of the party had met for more than six hours at the party’s national headquarters in Abuja yesterday, where they could not agree on a consensus candidate to fly PDP’s flag
The intrigue-filled meeting commenced after a long delay with delegates, at some point, insisting that the name of the former Vice President, Dr. Alex Ekwueme, be forwarded to INEC as the party’s candidate and later substituted on December 12, 2009 when the party is constitutionally allowed to make the last substitution.
However, the National Chairman of the PDP, Vincent Ogbulafor insisted that a candidate must emerge by the Friday (yesterday) deadline of 6 p.m.
Ogbulafor told the delegates: “Today is a day of reckoning. A day we should remember in our record books. This meeting was called to solve the problem of electing a candidate for the party for the election next year in Anambra State.
“We have adopted several procedures to get a candidate for the party, but unfortunately it has proved abortive. We are not happy about this development.
“Therefore we have invited you here to help elect a candidate. This is why we have invited you. A candidate must emerge.”
As he was speaking, there were shouts of “no, no no” by the delegates. However with no resolution in sight, the delegates were eventually persuaded to move to the Shehu Musa Yar’Adua Centre for the election.
Inside the Yar’Adua Centre, the National Vice Chairman of the party, Southeast, Olisa Metu mounted the rostrum and said, “Today, we the people of Anambra State shall decide on what we want.
“In Anambra, nobody from outside would dictate to us. We shall come out with a decision and tell the NWC of PDP what we want. Let the people decide.”
He subsequently summoned an emergency meeting of all former chairmen and present executives of the party in the state in one corner of the hall.
After the meeting, the former state chairman of PDP in the state, Chief Dan Ulasi addressed the delegates saying, “Enough is enough. Our problem is with us.
“What we are doing here is illegal, because a court has barred PDP from organising any election in whatever form that would elect a candidate.
“INEC has also said in a letter that there is no democratically elected state executive in Anambra State.
“So let’s tell the NWC of our party that we have decided that the name of Dr. Alex Ekwueme be sent to INEC so that by December 12, we shall send in a transparently-elected candidate after the court injunction against the party might have been withdrawn or vacated. This is the position we shall present to the NWC.”
Following Ulasi’s address, at exactly 1.55 p.m., Ogbulafor walked into the conference hall of the Yar’Adua Centre with some key national officers of the party and insisted that the flag bearer of the party for the Anambra election must emerge.
Ogbulafor reminded the delegates and aspirants that Anambra State is the home state of prominent Nigerians with great intellectual prowess.
He also reminded them that the party had spent money and resources to ensure that a candidate for the party emerges, but to no avail.
According to Ogbulafor, the inability of the party to elect its governorship candidate had made it a laughing stock among other political parties and vowed that a candidate must emerge.
As he was speaking, the delegates and the aspirants responded with shouts of “no, no, no!” At this point, newsmen were asked to leave the venue.
[b]A letter from INEC, dated October 8, 2009, further compounded issues at the Yar’Adua Center when it drew the attention of the PDP to the fact that the Anambra State chapter of PDP “does not have a democratically elected state executive committee.”
It stated: “Accordingly, the commission expects that the proposed congress for Anambra State shall consist strictly of eligible statutory delegates as prescribed by article 12.40 of the constitution of PDP 2009 as amended.”
This letter was the last straw that drew the curtain on the election, with delegates insisting that since there were no elected state executives of the party, then “delegates that came from the state had not been democratically elected.”
[/b]Following the closed door session, Ogbulafor and other members of the NWC emerged from the venue at 4.30 p.m. and drove out of the Yar’Adua Centre without making any pronouncements on the choice of candidate agreed upon.
A few hours after, members of the NWC eventually returned and announced the decision to field Soludo as the candidate of the PDP in the forthcoming Anambra election.
The long delay in picking a candidate, meant that the PDP could not submit the particulars of its guber candidate and his running mate till 10.30 p.m. last night, three and half hours after the INEC deadline.
The particulars were submitted by Chief Uche Secondus, the National Secretary of PDP along with two others.
Re: Soludo is the PDP Candidate (Anambra) by IGWEUSA(m): 3:33am On Oct 11, 2009
agabaI23:

Say what you know. Mind you I am Igbo too.
They kill not more than 2 months ago, a group of delegates going for a political burial were assainated because Chris and his cohorts believe the guy whose father was being buried is a nobody and does not deserve a PDP delegation from different states. Widows were made.

So this your tribal stuff.
Dude, that you are Igbo doesnt give you the audacity to spearhead rumours and false accusations against the good people of Anambra state . . . . .I must tell you that you are the one spewing trash.
it is true that the political terrain in anambra state is tough but it's has never been a do or die affair which plays out in other states especially the western ones.
I have decided to correct you with some facts in respect to the above event you wrongly narrated from your London backyard. . . . I now expect you to read and summarise the Anambra section of the Vanguard article below and you will see that there was nothing political about the purpoted event but a kidnapping gone bad which is now the norm of the day in every part of Nigeria.

South-East under siege : Robbers, kidnappers on the rampage
Periscope Jul 25, 2009 Not since the Civil War (1967-70) has the South-East been this besieged from all fronts. Although, the situation seems to cut across the six geo-political zones, it is particularly endemic in the South-East where robbers and kidnappers are making life extremely difficult for the residents, according to this report:

By TONY EDIKE, Enugu, ANAYO OKOLI, Umuahia, CHIDI NKWOPARA, Owerri &  VINCENT UJUMADU, Awka.

IT was a frightening way for residents of Enugu to start a weekend when news   spread, penultimate Friday, that a gang of robbers struck in the university town of Nsukka, robbing banks, and then killed a divisional police officer and bombed a police station.

This came just a few weeks after the immediate past Inspector General of Police, Mr. Mike Okiro met with police chiefs in the zone and declared the readiness of the force to bring problem of insecurity under control.

Enugu State
In Enugu in particular, crime wave has been on the increase in recent times. Apart from domestic robberies which some observers blamed on joblessness among youths, a situation that has been worsened by the recent ban on commercial motorcycle operation by most states in the zone, the state has witnessed a couple of high-profile robberies and kidnapping of both the rich, middle-class and even children for which huge sums of money were paid as ransoms.

The most celebrated kidnapping in the state was that involving the Dr. Francis Edemobi, younger brother of the Minister of Information, Professor Dora Akunyili in December last year.  Although he was released four days after he was captured, the family allegedly coughed out about N5 million to secure his release.  His suspected kidnappers were later apprehended along with some prominent persons who have continually denied knowledge or involvement in the act.  The accused persons are currently being tried.

Investigations also revealed that there were several unreported cases of kidnapping in the state where relations of the victims paid ransom to the kidnappers without reporting to the police.  Such responses to ransom demands by kidnappers had been identified as the major reason for the escalation of the inhuman trade.

The police in the state have repeatedly warned the people to desist from negotiating with kidnappers but for fear of losing such victims, their relations often ignore the security advice by entering into negotiations which usually end up in paying ransom, most times less than the amount demanded.

Apart from Enugu the state capital, some residents of Nsukka, the host community of University of Nigeria, have tasted the bitter pills of kidnapping and violent robberies.  Within the first half of this year, police sources said, no fewer than 20 major kidnapping involving some wealthy businessmen from the area had been documented.  But unfortunately, the police could not secure the release of the victims as they only regained their freedom after meeting the demands of their captors.

The Catholic Church in Nsukka had accused a police chief of aiding criminals in the town, but even when the said officer was redeployed, the situation has not improved.  Only last week, the poor security network in the town was confirmed when a dare-devil armed robbery gang stormed the busy Enugu road with sophisticated weapons and robbed four commercial banks of millions of naira.

The new IG , Onovo addressing his men
The new Divisional Police Officer (DPO) in the town, Chief Superintendent of Police (CSP), Joe Ejitaga and about five others were killed in that incident. Some policemen from the state police command including operatives of the Special Anti Robbery Squad (SARS) who pursued the robbers after their operation in Nsukka, were seriously wounded in the gun duel with the bandits. It was learnt that the police reinforcement teams led by the SARS Commander, DSP Jude Agbalajelu, were ambushed by the gang at Nkpologu area of Uzo Uwani Local Government Area on the Nsukka – Onitsha Federal highway.

The police had adopted some measures including the reintroduction of checkpoints on highways and major streets in the state but the measure has not prevented the kidnappers from engaging in the money-spinning business.  For instance, the Chief Press Secretary to Governor Sullivan Chime, Mr. Dan Nwomeh was kidnapped from his residence which is about two kilometers away from the Government House, Enugu.

The heavy security presence in the Government House did not dissuade his assailants from trailing him from his office to his residence in Independence Layout from where he was abducted and taken to Rivers State in the night of July 4.

Nwomeh only regained his freedom on Monday, July 20 after spending 17 days in the hands of his captors. It was not known if his family paid any ransom before his release but the Enugu State Government had earlier turned down the demand of N500 million ransom on the chief press secretary.

Even when the amount was later reduced to N200 million and N50 million, the government refused to enter into negotiation with the criminals before Nwomeh reappeared this week. For now there is much apprehension on the part of the people of the state over the increasing activities of the kidnappers. More disturbing is the localization of the trade whereby some small criminals in the rural areas have resorted to kidnapping villagers especially children and demanding ransoms, sometimes as low as N5,000 before releasing them.

Some religious leaders in the state while suggesting ways out of this security threat, had called for a change of heart by those involved in the ungodly trade and this appeared to be the only solution in sight since security operatives have actually lost the battle against kidnapping, at least for now.

Anambra State
Reports say that between July/September 2008 and July 2009, over N600million was lost to kidnapping and bullion van/bank robbery activities in Anambra State, including ransom paid. In the September 2008 Awkuzu bullion van robbery, over N200 million was reportedly lost and few months back when Chief Paul Okonkwo, alias POKOBROS, was kidnapped, between N70 million was alleged to have been paid to his captors. Over fifteen police officers, including a Divisional Police Officer for Awka Central Police Station or CPS, had also been killed.

On the Eve of the 2008 Christmas, five police persons were gunned down at Abagana, Anambra State. Also, over sixty residents in Anambra State had been killed within the period under review. In the April 2009 Oba-Nnewi bullion van robbery, about thirty persons were reportedly shot dead. Similarly, it is being suspected that between July 2008 and July 2009, a period of twelve months, SARS operatives in the State have killed over one hundred and twenty persons extra-judicially, on the average of ten persons per month. The outfit also tortures all of its suspects.

The government of Anambra State has provided to the Anambra State Police Command and other conventional security agencies with materials and cash. The break down shows that a total of 121 police pick-up vans, valued at N576 million were given to the police (N4.8 million for each). The Nigeria Army formation in the State had reportedly received 25 pick-up vans valued at over N100 million since 2006.

Also, four sets of Israeli made Armoured Personnel Carriers valued at about N400 million (about N100 million for each) had been delivered to the State Police Command. A number of strategic police stations had also been rebuilt or renovated by the Government of Anambra State since 2006. Some of them are the State Command Headquarters, Awka, the Nnewi  Central Police Station, which was burnt down during the 2006 Government and the MASSOB face-off, and the “33” Police Station near Nsugbe, Anambra State.

The Station was also burnt down during the said face-off. There were other security barracks that were rebuilt or renovated in which over N100 million was reportedly spent.

On July 16, around 1:30pm, a group of killers sighted a long convoy at Nnokwa Community in Idemmili South, Anambra State and opened fire. At the end, the Honourable Paulinus Igwe Nwagu, a member of House of Reps from Ebonyi State, Mr. Ugorji Moses and Mr. Chukwuma Ofefe, who are former aides of Dr. Samuel Egwu, a former governor of Ebonyi State, were severally shot at. Also, a Mobile Police operative accompanying them, Mr. Enyong Sunday was shot dead.

At the end, it was three persons dead and one Nwagu was critically injured. They were on their way to attend the funeral rites of the father of the South East vice chairman of the PDP, Mr. Olisa Metuh at Nnewi. Between 3:pm and 5:pm, same day, the same gang operated unchallenged for over two hours at Awka and even danced around the town entertaining people.

They were apparently happy that people were watching their operations from their hiding places. At the end, three persons were killed including one Kenneth who hailed from Nsukka in Enugu State. Again, on 17th day of July 2009, another dare devil gang or possibly the same group returned to Awka and allegedly struck at the Spring Bank, but could not gain entry because of sophisticated security structures built around the bank premises.

As a result, all banks and offices as well as stalls were hurriedly closed out of fear. Earlier on Wednesday, July 15, a gang of kidnappers struck at the “33” Housing Estate near Nsugbe, where they kidnapped Chief Godfrey Okonkwo, alias Bishop-Ichida, who is a multi-millionaire and an industrialist.  He was kidnapped around 4:30pm same day and released on Friday, July 17, possibly, after he had paid a ransom.

Interestingly, there were no records of successful robbery operations targeted at any banks or any convoys of bullion vans. On Saturday, July 18, a gang of armed robbers which reportedly robbed about six banks in Nsukka, Enugu State and shot dead the Divisional Police Officer for Nsukka Urban Police Station, CPS Joseph Ejitaga, were reportedly attacked by a local vigilante group, operating within Omor-Anaku axis in Ayamelum Local Government Area in Anambra State.

In the bloody combat that reportedly ensued, two robbers were shot dead and one of them apprehended alive, while the rest reportedly escaped and abandoned the sum of N4.1 million to N4.5 million, one AK-47 riffle, one rocket launcher, 1.500 rounds of 7.65mm bullets, 2.000 rounds of 9mm ammunition, 50 empty AK-47 magazines, a white pick-up van, one L.300 bus marked: “Igbo-Etiti Local Government Area”, One Malta Guinness vehicle, one  red Volvo car,  Charms, mobile police and military  camouflage uniforms etc. The said Vigilante group, were said to have alerted the police and handed over the human and material items so recovered.

Imo State
Two Imo sons, Sir Theodore Agwatu, a serving principal secretary to former Governor Achike Udenwa and Sir Richard Ugorji, a flourishing civil engineer, were murdered in their homes in Owerri and Abuja respectively. Mrs. Patricia Oby Chidiac, an Imo daughter was trailed to Sacred Heart Catholic Church, Apapa, Lagos where she had gone to attend the 10 a.m mass and shot point blank.

These incidents have continued to attract public condemnation. As in these three cases and many others, each plot was executed with clinical finesse. A few persons after the sordid act, get arrested, interrogated, prosecuted or possibly released, especially when the police do not find enough evidence to carry on with the legal processes. Life continues thereafter as if nothing horrible had happened. Mrs. Chidiac is obviously dead but her charity works, especially to widows and the less privileged, will continue to reverberate. She accelerated the completion of many projects and initiated new ones in the church and community, Eziama Ikeduru. Over 250 widows and the poor were empowered last year.

They received between N50,000 and N200,000 each for either medical upkeep or to start small scale businesses. As if the death of Agwatu, Ugorji and Chidiac were enough damage to the people’s psyche, the Catholic Archbishop of Owerri Ecclesiastical Province, Dr. Anthony J.V. Obinna, narrowly cheated death when he was attacked by young, gun totting armed robbers at Lokpanta, Abia State. He was on his way to Enugu at about 7 p.m.

After crossing Okigwe and heading towards the Cattle Market, Lokpanta, Abia State, his driver slowed down at some point because of the bad road. And as they were about to cruise off, they saw light flashing. They took it as coming from policemen on duty, probably trying to find out who was travelling. That marked the beginning of the robbery saga. “I kept talking to them and silently calling on God.

They forced my driver out of the car, pushed him down and used the butt of their gun and hit him at his waist. He slumped. Then they asked him to get up again and open the booth and the car. They removed my brief case and my suitcase containing my soutane and personal effects. They also removed the suitcase that carries my vestments and mitre for celebrating Holy Mass.

They took all of them. They even went ahead to take the driver’s little bag containing his personal effects, took his cell phone, his driving licence and even took his shoes. I wondered why they went to this length. So, at the end of it, they ran off with their booty and we continued our journey to Enugu”, Archbishop Obinna recounted. The banks operating in Imo State, had a various times, been attacked by dare devil armed robbers.

The defunct Standard Trust Bank along Wetheral Road, Owerri, was attacked and the vault ripped open by the hoodlums. In a similar manner, Zenith Bank and Intercontinental Bank, both located close to Dan Anyiam Stadium Complex, Owerri, were attacked in broad day light. The sad event of that day was that the robbers finished their operation and effectively demobilized the invading police armoured personnel carrier before zooming off to share their loot.

Abia State
It will be an understatement to say that Abia State is under the siege of criminals, especially kidnappers and armed robbers. It is real. Government, the police and other security agencies accept this reality. Residents and indigenes of Abia State accept this. Many families have lost their loved ones to these hoodlums.

Some other families have parted with their hard earned money to pay ransom to release their kidnapped relations. People now live in fear, especially residents of Aba, the economic capital and Umuahia, the political capital. It is turning to a daily affair, as there are reports almost on daily basis of either a robbery attack or incidence of kidnapping, especially in Aba.

Recent cases: Last Monday, the deputy chairman of Osisioma council area, one of the council areas, notorious for kidnapping, Chief Steve Macho was killed when he resisted being abducted by kidnappers. The police are currently on the trail of the killers. Also last week, one Professor P.N. Nwabeke was kidnapped and dumped into his car booth.

However, luck was on his side as a team of patrol policemen intercepted the kidnappers who abandoned him and he was rescued. Mr. Victor Azumara, the Head of Service of Ugwunagbo council, another council notorious for kidnapping, was abducted recently. How much ransom paid to secure his release was not known.

Three weeks ago, a failed attempt to kidnap an expatriate employee of 7-up bottling company in Aba, led to the killing of five policemen. The police vehicle was also burnt, Senator Enyinnaya Abaribe, representing Abia South senatorial zone last month escaped being abducted. However, he lost his police orderly in the attack.

Septuagenarian chairman of Abia State Independent Election Commission (ABSIEC), Prof. Steven Emejuaiwe was also recently kidnapped. His police orderly was killed in the incident, while the old man was released some days later. Just last Friday, the chairmen of Abia State PDP, Chief Ndidi Okereke survived an attack in Umuahia Previous cases of kidnapping and armed robberies are bound.

Government/Police response to the situation: Abia State Government has made some appreciable effort to tackle this problem. The government has so far donated a total of 60 vehicles to the state police command to aid them in the fight against crime and criminals.

In addition, with the help of the Inspector-General of police, Mr. Mike Okiro, an armoured personnel carrier (APC) was sent to the state. Presently, it is stationed at the main gate of Government House, Umuahia. Earlier, the Governor, Chief Theodore Orji had instituted a N1million reward package for any person who volunteered useful information on kidnappers and their activities, all aimed at fighting the menace.

However, with all the measures taken, the situation was not getting better, rather it was getting worse. This prompted the government to cause the State House of Assembly, which some of its members had fallen victim in the past, to enact a law, making kidnap
Re: Soludo is the PDP Candidate (Anambra) by Nobody: 3:53am On Oct 11, 2009
Please look at the text in bold in the THISDAY report, can somebody explain to me why the statutory delegates will refuse to vote even when it is apparent that the constitution of PDP and not just the court injunction will not allow primaries to be held under non elected state executives?

There are just two possibilities
1. The statutory delegates where under Uba's influence: They will insist on primaries which will be later be nullified by courts leaving PDP with no candidate at all. This course will in the long run force PDP to unwillingly support Uba's bid to regain his nullified mandate of 2007 or allow the Godfathers the opportunity to rig in another impostor through another party, Yaradua needs that state for 2011, while Anambrarians can do with good governance not street thuggery.

2. The delegates where playing harlotry: They do not want to play and get known for supporting Uba's camp and get flogged by Federal powers or get known to support FG, and get flogged by Uba's machinery at home.

Even if PDP submitted ALex Ekwueme's name, there is every likelihood that the drama will be steered in such a way that no primary will still hold, any held will be nullified. Giving the Gangsters backhome the opportunity to either return Uba or control the state by rigging on another platform (PPA is in the rumours).

I think the presidency has done a good job by not being too eager to truncate democratic elections, hence the invitation of statutory delegates, but being decisive  enough to field in the best candidate. It is a shame that the so called delegates are such cowards that they cannot represent their people even when they fairly had the opportunity.  They could have voted against Soludo if they wanted, their where not so many ballot boxes to be snatched.

I am seeing a future need to flush out the present batch of political elites in Anambra state, they are not really the cream de la cream the state has to offer.

Last, the day we accepted Yaradua as president (whether the elections where rigged or not, cause we did nothing about it), is the day we accepted the influence of his wife on our political system (smart or stupid) and it goes so for any other president. Gender bias is simply too stupid, I wonder why a lot of ladies in NL are taking these criticism on Turai. If I where to be a president, I will consider it an advantage to have a wife has the guts to make moves when I can not. Not that I will be inactive though!
Re: Soludo is the PDP Candidate (Anambra) by IGWEUSA(m): 4:08am On Oct 11, 2009
KenGali:

Please look at the text in bold in the THISDAY report, can somebody explain to me why the statutory delegates will refuse to vote even when it is apparent that the constitution of PDP and not just the court injunction will not allow primaries to be held under non elected state executives?

There are just two possibilities
1. The statutory delegates where under Uba's influence: They will insist on primaries which will be later be nullified by courts leaving PDP with no candidate at all. This course will in the long run force PDP to unwillingly support Uba's bid to regain his nullified mandate of 2007 or allow the Godfathers the opportunity to rig in another impostor through another party, Yaradua needs that state for 2011, while Anambrarians can do with good governance not street thuggery.

2. The delegates where playing harlotry: They do not want to play and get known for supporting Uba's camp and get flogged by Federal powers or get known to support FG, and get flogged by Uba's machinery at home.

Even if PDP submitted ALex Ekwueme's name, there is every likelihood that the drama will be steered in such a way that no primary will still hold, any held will be nullified. Giving the Gangsters backhome the opportunity to either return Uba or control the state by rigging on another platform (PPA is in the rumours).

I think the presidency has done a good job by not being too eager to truncate democratic elections, hence the invitation of statutory delegates, but being decisive enough to field in the best candidate. It is a shame that the so called delegates are such cowards that they cannot represent their people even when they fairly had the opportunity. They could have voted against Soludo if they wanted, their where not so many ballot boxes to be snatched.

I am seeing a future need to flush out the present batch of political elites in Anambra state, they are not really the cream de la cream the state has to offer.

Last, the day we accepted Yaradua as president (whether the elections where rigged or not, cause we did nothing about it), is the day we accepted the influence of his wife on our political system (smart or stupid) and it goes so for any other president. Gender bias is simply too stupid, I wonder why a lot of ladies in NL are taking these criticism on Turai. If I where to be a president, I will consider it an advantage to have a wife has the guts to make moves when I can not. Not that I will be inactive though!

Dude, you just said it all.
Re: Soludo is the PDP Candidate (Anambra) by luv2talk(m): 4:24am On Oct 11, 2009
hmmmmm
Re: Soludo is the PDP Candidate (Anambra) by chidichris(m): 9:36am On Oct 11, 2009
@post
The emergence of Charles Soludo is what Chuba Okadigbo termed political arithmetic . . . . .However, Soludo is the best candidate PDP can produce in Anambra state.
It is now a war of three titans in Anambra state . . . Charles Soludo Vs Chris Ngige Vs Peter Obi . . . What an interesting line up.
Damn! I really enjoy Anambra politics.

@Igwe usa,
as long as obj is his godfather, as long as pdp is his party, as long as he is a loyalist to the criminal minded cabre, soludo was never, is never and will never be a good candidate for anambra state.
it is obvious obj and his criminal minded pdp have never known sleep in their efforts to take over the state.
soludo was committed in his days as the cbn governor hence he is under preasure to be there as the good face they have been looking for to buy the minds of the people of the state.
bet me, he is coming as a lion under a lamb's cloth.
the eastern states have been a cause of heart break to the criminal group.
the best thing that will happen to anambra people will be total resistance as the soludo we see is not original and as such will end up selling the state to the slave masters.
they have finally succeeded in imo state and they are working restlessly to get anambra while they have decided to let abia be as the kind of problem they face in the hands of orji uzor kalu is nothing to compete for.
if soludo ends up as the gov of the state, then am sorry for anambra state.
Re: Soludo is the PDP Candidate (Anambra) by KnowAll(m): 10:04am On Oct 11, 2009
When u have 47 fishes in a pond worth N100.00 Naira each, it would only be a fool who will ignore the biggest fish in the pond who happens to be the former CBN govenor and pick a small fry. I think PDP has let natural wisdom prevail to the detriment of the other disgruntled and defranchised candidates.

Soludo as we all know should now justify the trust and a scond life line the Yardua's have given to him, this is his time to grasp the opportunity and make a difference in the lives of Anambras, if he proves his mettle here, one would not discount a run for the presidency come 2015.

Afterall he has being around the corridors of Aso Rock for the best part of a decade for him not to have a latent ambition of being the occupier of Aso Rock someday as suppose to being the errand boy firstly to OBJ and now to Turai and her go slow husband
Re: Soludo is the PDP Candidate (Anambra) by Nobody: 10:48am On Oct 11, 2009
Good for him, And will he get anambra rid of those useless kidnappers,
Re: Soludo is the PDP Candidate (Anambra) by Nigerd(m): 11:17am On Oct 11, 2009
Anambra is as controversial as Ekiti is
Re: Soludo is the PDP Candidate (Anambra) by DisGuy: 11:57am On Oct 11, 2009
why is Turai blamed for everything in that country?? undecided

Soludo didn't win fairly whatever happened to democracy??/ Soludo is now part of the big fraud!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Okonjo-iweala Gets Threat Calls / Military Regime Vs Democracy / Nigeria: From 1914 Until Date

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 132
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.