Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,056 members, 7,810,948 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:13 PM

2010 World Cup Qualifiers - Africa - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / 2010 World Cup Qualifiers - Africa (6012 Views)

AFCON Qualifiers: Mancity Writes About Iheanacho / Nigeria Vs Sudan: Afcon Qualifiers (3 - 1) On 15th October 2014 / 23 Players Nigeria Should Take To 2010 World Cup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 2010 World Cup Qualifiers - Africa by mukina2: 10:04pm On Oct 11, 2009
no way . . . the fan base is closed .we do not need more supporters grin grin
Re: 2010 World Cup Qualifiers - Africa by Cristalz(f): 10:16pm On Oct 11, 2009
@Muki
I nor know am o. . .he just appeared from nowhere. grin

So how many African teams are in now? I really want Egypt to qualify.
The Pharaohs are my team. . .after Nigeria, of course. grin
Re: 2010 World Cup Qualifiers - Africa by mukina2: 10:24pm On Oct 11, 2009
maybe he wanted to crash you into noticing him grin

Only Ghana and CIv are confirmed .all the rest are shaky.

for the rest of the groups , the last matches are really very very crucial grin
Re: 2010 World Cup Qualifiers - Africa by RuuDie(m): 5:07pm On Oct 12, 2009
Algeria 3-1 Rwanda

Algeria - Egypt go head-to-head next month. . . . . you can feel the pressure in Cairo over this one - they need a win by 4 goals or above to be able to make it to SA'10.

Pheeeew. . . . very big ask!
Re: 2010 World Cup Qualifiers - Africa by RuuDie(m): 5:21pm On Oct 12, 2009
Groups A & B might well be decided by the contenders for the 3rd place AFCON spot.

I don't see Gabon beating Togo in Lome as long as third place is still within the grasp of the Togolese. . . . . . . Cameroon picking up all three in Rabat is equally daunting but far more realistic than the latter - but I have a feeling the lions can still scale thru with a draw there.

Tunisia away to Mozambique. . . . . almost everybody thinks its cut and dry; but the tunisians might yet get a shocker - very possible. Off the two, Mozambique/Kenya, Kenya on paper are the weaker - meaning the SE have a seemingly easier game on paper and given the fact that the Mozambiquans have a long unbeaten streak on home soil, don't think Nigerians / Tunisians can afford to get too excited just yet.
The mozambicans are in pole for the 3rdAFCON spot; that in itself is enough motivation to give the tunisians a torrid time at home.
Re: 2010 World Cup Qualifiers - Africa by mukina2: 5:35pm On Oct 12, 2009
RuuDie:

I don't see Gabon beating Togo in Lome as long as third place is still within the grasp of the Togolese. . . . . . . Cameroon picking up all three in Rabat is equally daunting but far more realistic than the latter - but I have a feeling the lions can still scale thru with a draw there.

i see Gabon beating Togo in Lome, their team is very good and has improved.
Re: 2010 World Cup Qualifiers - Africa by RuuDie(m): 5:52pm On Oct 12, 2009
mukina2:

i see Gabon beating Togo in Lome, their team is very good and has improved.

How good. . . . .

You probably never saw them over the two-legs with Cameroon. . . . .
Re: 2010 World Cup Qualifiers - Africa by mukina2: 6:11pm On Oct 12, 2009
I watched the first leg of their match with Cameroun, it was not a bad match, just that Cameroun had more options and Gabon misplaced most of their last touches.
Unlike Cameroun, Togo is an average side IMO and Gabon already defeated 3-0. I watched that too. tongue
I have watched some of Togo's matches too, nothing spectacular , have you seen the teams that defeated Togo?
Forget the big names, Some African Teams are no more Minnows.
Re: 2010 World Cup Qualifiers - Africa by aieromon(m): 6:53am On Oct 13, 2009
Gabon in WC2010?
That's scary lipsrsealed
Re: 2010 World Cup Qualifiers - Africa by buffead(f): 10:04pm On Oct 13, 2009
aieromon:

Gabon in WC2010?
That's scary lipsrsealed

wats scary about it :-Xl , very soon countries like rwanda , zimbabwe will start going to world cups nd nigeria will still as usuall praying for other teams downfall to qualify , no be da same happen da last time shuooo rolls eyes*** lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: 2010 World Cup Qualifiers - Africa by adebayo201: 1:59pm On Oct 15, 2009
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: 2010 World Cup Qualifiers - Africa by adebayo201: 2:37pm On Oct 16, 2009
Lmao!
Re: 2010 World Cup Qualifiers - Africa by Dclique(m): 5:08pm On Oct 16, 2009
They may impress people. You never know.
Re: 2010 World Cup Qualifiers - Africa by RuuDie(m): 3:40pm On Oct 19, 2009
mukina2:

I watched the first leg of their match with Cameroun, it was not a bad match, just that Cameroun had more options and Gabon misplaced most of their last touches.
Unlike Cameroun, Togo is an average side IMO and Gabon already defeated 3-0. I watched that too. tongue
I have watched some of Togo's matches too, nothing spectacular , have you seen the teams that defeated Togo?
Forget the big names, Some African Teams are no more Minnows.

The only game Gabon won away from home is against the sorry Moroccans in the very first game of the series. . . . . at home, they are much comfortable; away from home - its a different thing entirely. I'm very sure Gabon will not get a result in Lome.
Re: 2010 World Cup Qualifiers - Africa by femo2000(m): 3:37pm On Oct 24, 2009
Hi guys, I'm new 2 d thread. Watz d situation with Nigeria
Re: 2010 World Cup Qualifiers - Africa by vikiviko(m): 7:01pm On Oct 27, 2009
Nigerian needs an emphatic win in Kenya hoping Tunisia loses away to Mozambique.

The chances are open for both Nigerian and Tunisia.
The North Africans if well motivated can beat Mozambique away but truth must be told the Mozambique side that played the Eagles to a standstill could defeat Tunisia and win a nations cup ticket.

Kenya on paper should lose at home but thanks to the lacklustre performance of the Eagles the Kenyans could still garner 3 maximum points and be praised as stopping Nigeria from qulaifying.There is all to play for in the last group matches.

Wish Super Eagles best of luckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk,
Re: 2010 World Cup Qualifiers - Africa by RuuDie(m): 12:40pm On Oct 28, 2009
vikiviko:

Nigerian needs an emphatic win in Kenya hoping Tunisia loses away to Mozambique.

The chances are open for both Nigerian and Tunisia.
The North Africans if well motivated can beat Mozambique away but truth must be told the Mozambique side that played the Eagles to a standstill could defeat Tunisia and win a nations cup ticket.

Kenya on paper should lose at home but thanks to the lacklustre performance of the Eagles the Kenyans could still garner 3 maximum points and be praised as stopping Nigeria from qulaifying.There is all to play for in the last group matches.
[/color][color=#990000][color=#990000][/color]
Wish Super Eagles best of luckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk,

sure thing. . . . . as far as i'm concerned. if the Tunisians do not "sort" the Mozambicans then they are putting all their hard-work at risk here - they only need a draw to get to SA but Mozambique is good enough to deny em all three!
Re: 2010 World Cup Qualifiers - Africa by RuuDie(m): 10:00am On Oct 30, 2009
Samuel Eto'o picked up a knock last night playing for inter. Dunno if he can play the last group game for the lions in the WC qualifiers. . . . Cameroon qualification threatened
Re: 2010 World Cup Qualifiers - Africa by vikiviko(m): 2:55pm On Nov 01, 2009
The Lion of Africa Samuel Eto will be ready for Morocco.

Up CAMEROOUN.

Please is Tunisia just needing a draw to go though or what?
Re: 2010 World Cup Qualifiers - Africa by RuuDie(m): 5:51am On Nov 03, 2009
vikiviko:

The Lion of Africa Samuel Eto will be ready for Morocco.

Up CAMEROOUN.

Please is Tunisia just needing a draw to go though or what?

its a possibility. . . . a draw can see them thru!
Re: 2010 World Cup Qualifiers - Africa by semid4lyfe(m): 3:43pm On Nov 03, 2009
A draw will see them thru' provided Nigeria doesn't win against Kenya.
Re: 2010 World Cup Qualifiers - Africa by RuuDie(m): 6:53pm On Nov 03, 2009
semid4lyfe:

A draw will see them thru' provided Nigeria doesn't win against Kenya.

depends. . . . if they're still applying away-goal (*not very sure about this) rule then a draw is all tunisia needs.
But if tunisia have to go for a win in Mozambique; then i can confidently say its in naija's hands to throw away.
Re: 2010 World Cup Qualifiers - Africa by 9ijaprince(m): 7:01pm On Nov 03, 2009
Definitely tunisians are going there to pick 3 maximum points. Knowing that any slip would mean a disaster for them. I see mamabs pulling suprises. My only dear is will super eagles who in kenya?
Re: 2010 World Cup Qualifiers - Africa by IFELEKE(m): 3:14pm On Nov 04, 2009
9ijaprince:

Definitely tunisians are going there to pick 3 maximum points. Knowing that any slip would mean a disaster for them.
that's the key. . .
Re: 2010 World Cup Qualifiers - Africa by RuuDie(m): 5:44pm On Nov 04, 2009
IFELEKE:

that's the key. . .

thats also the risk. . . .

on paper, mozambique is far stronger opposition than kenya - so naija have a relatively easier game to play compared to the tunisians, thats why i feel its not all cut and dried yet. tunisia might have felt they did all the hard work over two legs against naija, but in truth, this is the mountain they have to climb (unless of course they have an under-the-table agreement with mozambique).
Re: 2010 World Cup Qualifiers - Africa by IFELEKE(m): 6:39pm On Nov 04, 2009
well said ruudie. . .
All we have is hope.
Re: 2010 World Cup Qualifiers - Africa by RuuDie(m): 5:31pm On Nov 13, 2009
Twenty-five months after African qualifying for the 19th edition of the FIFA World Cup™ began, its three remaining places alongside Côte d'Ivoire and Ghana will be seized this weekend.

One will go to Cameroon or Gabon, with Tunisia or Nigeria clinching another.
However, the biggest attraction on the concluding matchday will unfold in Cairo, where fierce rivals Egypt and Algeria will collide for a ticket to South Africa 2010. The final ten African preliminaries will also sort out the final field for the forthcoming CAF African Cup of Nations, due to kick off in Angola in January.
Re: 2010 World Cup Qualifiers - Africa by RuuDie(m): 5:32pm On Nov 13, 2009
The big game
Egypt-Algeria
Cairo International Stadium, Cairo, Saturday

Algeria have failed to qualify for the last two African Cup of Nations tournaments, which were both won by Egypt, but the tables have turned over this past year. The Desert Foxes lead Group C by three points from their arch-rivals, and have a plus-seven goal difference compared to the Pharaohs’ plus-three.

This means the latter can afford a single-goal defeat and still qualify. However, a two-goal victory for Egypt would result in the teams being tied on goal difference and goals scored, and would duly force a play-off in Sudan on 18 November.

Both sides have injury doubts, with the biggest-name potential absentee Egypt midfielder Hosni Abd Rabou, who picked up a knock to his ankle at the weekend. It was Abd Rabou who was the player of the tournament when Egypt retained their African crown in Ghana last year, and it was his goal away to Zambia last month that maintained their hopes of pipping Algeria to top spot in Group C.

Elsewhere
Tunisia have a two-point lead over Nigeria in Group B and will qualify for a fourth successive FIFA World Cup if they beat Mozambique in Maputo. However, if they slip up, the Super Eagles will finish top if they beat Kenya in Nairobi.

Cameroon have made a remarkable recovery in Group A, flying from bottom to top, and they will qualify for an African-record sixth world finals if they win in Morocco. Gabon, one point back in second, will have to overcome Togo in Lome and hope the Indomitable Lions stumble in Fes.

Group E winners Côte d'Ivoire finish their campaign at home to Guinea, while Group D conquerors Ghana will use Sunday's game at home to Mali to experiment with several players from their recent FIFA U-20 World Cup-winning side.
Re: 2010 World Cup Qualifiers - Africa by RuuDie(m): 5:41pm On Nov 13, 2009
The key games: (*All naija time)

14/11/09 16:30 Lome Togo V Gabon
14/11/09 16:30 Fes Morocco V Cameroon
14/11/09 14:00 Maputo Mozambique V Tunisia
14/11/09 14:00 Nairobi Kenya V Nigeria
14/11/09 14:30 Kigali Rwanda V Zambia
14/11/09 18:30 Cairo Egypt V Algeria

This last game is particularly riveting in that a two-goal margin victory by the pharaohs will ensure that for the first time in African WCQs, there is a play-off match between the two leading contenders. The only people on the world who don't want this, are probably Algerians - African tv sure would need it!
Re: 2010 World Cup Qualifiers - Africa by RuuDie(m): 7:02pm On Nov 13, 2009
The incentive of an AFCON ticket for the third place teams is probably the best thing to happen to WCQ in africa. . . . its made the race much intensive, testy and challenging. Kudos to CAF and her affiliates for dreaming up such a laudable scheme!
Re: 2010 World Cup Qualifiers - Africa by mukina2: 7:08pm On Nov 13, 2009
as long as my team has qualified the others can keep fighting for their own spot grin grin
Re: 2010 World Cup Qualifiers - Africa by semid(m): 10:32pm On Nov 13, 2009
Your adopted team, abi? I laugh in creole.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

You Can Now Make Deposits Into Your MERRYBET Account Follow Direct / FIFA: Argentina’s Goal Against Nigeria Was Illegal (Infractions) / Strong Muscular Bur Very Sexy Girl

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.