Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,743 members, 7,817,051 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:08 AM

Google Battles Whatsapp With The New Allo Messaging Application - Phones (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Google Battles Whatsapp With The New Allo Messaging Application (50379 Views)

15 Funny But True Experiences We've All Had On Whatsapp (with Pictures) / My Conversation With Google Allo Robot / Nigerian Parents Absolutely Hilarious On Whatsapp (with Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Google Battles Whatsapp With The New Allo Messaging Application by Dapsonemmanuel(m): 12:12am On Sep 22, 2016
amagunnerfan:
It is market share thing. How many people use lumia?
.. Alot

..... Including me
Re: Google Battles Whatsapp With The New Allo Messaging Application by 2kurupt(m): 12:12am On Sep 22, 2016
martineinstein:
bbm and 2go were never worldwide.....facebook messenger has one billion users and its worldwide;whatsapp is d biggest in d world;wechat is almost a billion-user app,used by asians especially chinese;line/viber and skype has more dan a billion uses....while bbm is less dan a 100 million users....tell me,how diz users will ditch those app for allo.

Google is late 2 d game

Good point but like I said, only time will tell
Re: Google Battles Whatsapp With The New Allo Messaging Application by Dapsonemmanuel(m): 12:13am On Sep 22, 2016
Chanchit:

people would definitely use it since whatsapp would be dropping some phones by december.
.. Hmmm quite true though
Re: Google Battles Whatsapp With The New Allo Messaging Application by martineinstein(m): 12:14am On Sep 22, 2016
2kurupt:

grin funny how you seem to only remember the failed Google projects. Only time will tell.

Peace
pls,tell me which of google's product have gained fruition since they bought android,xcept chromecast.
Dont even mention chromebook.

Google cant go beyond android and search
Re: Google Battles Whatsapp With The New Allo Messaging Application by Dapsonemmanuel(m): 12:14am On Sep 22, 2016
Senorprinz:
lumia na phone?
.. No na device .. Lol
Re: Google Battles Whatsapp With The New Allo Messaging Application by 2kurupt(m): 12:16am On Sep 22, 2016
martineinstein:
pls,tell me which of google's product have gained fruition since they bought android,xcept chromecast.
Dont even mention chromebook.

Google cant go beyond android and search

Further arguments won't convince either party so what's the point?

Use what suits you, cheers.
Re: Google Battles Whatsapp With The New Allo Messaging Application by Dapsonemmanuel(m): 12:17am On Sep 22, 2016
Zedoo:

Bbm never thought it will lose....

You can never tell what could happen..you saw what happened to 2go....once this is actually easier and better than WhatsApp....trust me little by little people go move over!!!
...in what way would it be easier and better than whatsapp ... Hmm I doubt it
Re: Google Battles Whatsapp With The New Allo Messaging Application by martineinstein(m): 12:17am On Sep 22, 2016
2kurupt:

Yeah right, want me to reel out all the Microsoft failed attempts to overtake Apple & Google in the mobile tech world?

I don't see this doing any better
haha...dey are tackling dem in tablet sector....besides,microsoft is in charge of d 'next big thing':they will overtake and replace smartphones,computers,tv and screens....that is 'hololens',an augmented reality device
Re: Google Battles Whatsapp With The New Allo Messaging Application by Rexnegro(m): 12:21am On Sep 22, 2016
Turks:
BBM has just found itself serious competition.
for me if You ask me I prefer bbm, good video and audio call...better and mature interface. whatsapp causes jealousy and it has break so many marriages and relationships Because of "last seen" notification.

1 Like

Re: Google Battles Whatsapp With The New Allo Messaging Application by 2kurupt(m): 12:21am On Sep 22, 2016
martineinstein:
haha...dey are tackling dem in tablet sector....besides,microsoft is in charge of d 'next big thing':they will overtake and replace smartphones,computers,tv and screens....that is 'hololens',an augmented reality device

So we keep hearing. VR headsets are old news man, forget the fancy name.
Re: Google Battles Whatsapp With The New Allo Messaging Application by Dapsonemmanuel(m): 12:23am On Sep 22, 2016
holluphemydavid:
I dnt tink I nid anymore chat app on my fone any longer
.. I think so too .. This chat app are just friggin too much
Re: Google Battles Whatsapp With The New Allo Messaging Application by martineinstein(m): 12:36am On Sep 22, 2016
2kurupt:

So we keep hearing. VR headsets are old news man, forget the fancy name.
i never mentioned vr.....tho,vr will erupt next year.not the gear vr from samsung and co,but super powerful ones from sony,oculus and htc
Re: Google Battles Whatsapp With The New Allo Messaging Application by Ardedaryor(m): 1:08am On Sep 22, 2016
Downloading
Re: Google Battles Whatsapp With The New Allo Messaging Application by sharrp: 1:17am On Sep 22, 2016
Sphilip1:

google wants to rule this world without God's permission.. Lol.

Google Allo will be made available either this week or the next.

I heard rumours that google also wants to add a form of chat or messaging feature to youtube inorder to increase interraction
Why not add this features to google hangout which has an already established users. Why make this only available on mobile . seriously meetings?. Say am working on a project with a team so I'll keep on switching from desktop to mobile to communicate?. Allow bout to be google+

1 Like

Re: Google Battles Whatsapp With The New Allo Messaging Application by AreaFada2: 3:05am On Sep 22, 2016
Vorpal:
How many chat apps do one actually need?

I wonder.

Kids already have problem concentrating & focusing on school work.
Adults neglecting spouses/gf/bf/family for chats. shocked shocked
Re: Google Battles Whatsapp With The New Allo Messaging Application by femzysticks(m): 3:24am On Sep 22, 2016
Vorpal:

we dont need as much

but when the terms and conditions of one is not favourable...
theriz need for a swap

blackberry will no longer support whatsapp

we the users are happy about this
Re: Google Battles Whatsapp With The New Allo Messaging Application by cyber5(m): 4:21am On Sep 22, 2016
nani667:
weird that people are saying Google plus failed.....

Google+ never failed, and do you know its a good traffic generator for websites.

Though Allo has more functions than WhatsApp, it gonna take a while for it to meet WhatsApp record and I'm sure WhatsApp will not open their Eye and let Allo beat their record.
So be expecting a new update for WhatsApp soon.
Re: Google Battles Whatsapp With The New Allo Messaging Application by ISpiksDaTroof: 4:55am On Sep 22, 2016
DONT TRUST GOOGLE!

Google backs off on previously announced Allo privacy feature

The app will log conversations by default after all

By Russell Brandom @russellbrandom Sep 21, 2016, 12:11a

When Allo was announced at Google’s I/O conference earlier this year, the messaging app was presented as a step forward for privacy. Alongside the end-to-end-encrypted Incognito Mode, the Allo team talked about bold new message retention practices, storing messages only transiently rather than indefinitely.

But with the release of the app today, Google is backing off on some of those features.

The version of Allo rolling out today will store all non-incognito messages by default — a clear change from Google’s earlier statements that the app would only store messages transiently and in non-identifiable form. The records will now persist until the user actively deletes them, giving Google default access to a full history of conversations in the app. Users can also avoid the logging by using Allo’s Incognito Mode, which is still fully end-to-end encrypted and unchanged from the initial announcement.

A CHANGE TO IMPROVE THE ALLO ASSISTANT

Like Hangouts and Gmail, Allo messages will still be encrypted between the device and Google servers, and stored on servers using encryption that leaves the messages accessible to Google’s algorithms.

According to Google, the change was made to improve Allo's smart reply feature, which generates suggested responses to a given conversation. Like most machine learning systems, the smart replies work better with more data. As the Allo team tested those replies, they decided the performance boost from permanently stored messages was worth giving up privacy benefits of transient storage.

The decision will also have significant consequences for law enforcement access to Allo messages. By default, Allo messages will now be accessible to lawful requests, similar to message data in Gmail and Hangouts and location data collected by Android. In the past, Google legal officers have stated that subpoenas are not sufficient to obtain that information, stating "we believe a warrant is required by the Fourth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution" for access to private information in a Google account.

The messages might not be there if the user had previously deleted them, or if the conversations took place in Incognito Mode — but in most cases, they will be. That leaves Google with much less danger of the kind of legal showdown Apple faced in San Bernardino and WhatsApp currently faces in Brazil.

Update 1:26PM ET: Updated with more information about Google's internal legal review.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/21/12994362/allo-privacy-message-logs-google
Re: Google Battles Whatsapp With The New Allo Messaging Application by Nobody: 5:58am On Sep 22, 2016
YonkijiSappo:
Sorry but Google has lost the battle before the fight even begins.

Don't beat ur chest to it. Remember what happened to almighty BBM? No one including me ever believed BBM will become a shadow of what use to be? If Android dealt heavy blow on Simbian, Windows and even iOS, I am sure Allo can do same to WhatsApp.
Re: Google Battles Whatsapp With The New Allo Messaging Application by Nobody: 6:24am On Sep 22, 2016
femzysticks:

we dont need as much
but when the terms and conditions of one is not favourable... theriz need for a swap
blackberry will no longer support whatsapp
we the users are happy about this
But allo is only supported by android os and iOS.
Re: Google Battles Whatsapp With The New Allo Messaging Application by holluphemydavid(m): 7:19am On Sep 22, 2016
Dapsonemmanuel:
.. I think so too .. This chat app are just friggin too much
And as a matter of fact, is destroying Lotta of relationship
Re: Google Battles Whatsapp With The New Allo Messaging Application by Sphilip1(m): 7:31am On Sep 22, 2016
[quote author=kennydotkom post=49561101][/quote]
lol... Why not try it out
Re: Google Battles Whatsapp With The New Allo Messaging Application by Sphilip1(m): 7:31am On Sep 22, 2016
[quote author=kennydotkom post=49561101][/quote]
lol... Why not try it out
Re: Google Battles Whatsapp With The New Allo Messaging Application by herald9: 7:54am On Sep 22, 2016
Whatsapp should better change their mind about dropping some phones from their support list to avoid massive migration to Google Allo.

I wouldn't mind setting my eyes on a newer chat interference though.
Re: Google Battles Whatsapp With The New Allo Messaging Application by NevetsIbot(m): 7:58am On Sep 22, 2016
java users dan suffer. Choi
Re: Google Battles Whatsapp With The New Allo Messaging Application by somehowpenis(m): 8:02am On Sep 22, 2016
checkengine:

Don't beat ur chest to it. Remember what happened to almighty BBM? No one including me ever believed BBM will become a shadow of what use to be? If Android dealt heavy blow on Simbian, Windows and even iOS, I am sure Allo can do same to WhatsApp.
how exactly did Google deal a heavy blow on Apple? Have Google ever outsold Apple in anything? Dude google didn't end bbm, whatsapp did. Know that MARK NSUKABAG owns facebook, whatsapp , instagram, Oculus VR , wave sound, surreal vision,and last i checked, these apps already got billions of subscribers and users so this allo would need a miracle to even basically allow downloaders keep it for more than 4 days without deleting it from their phone.

1 Like

Re: Google Battles Whatsapp With The New Allo Messaging Application by somehowpenis(m): 8:04am On Sep 22, 2016
But i still pray this allo gets successful.
Re: Google Battles Whatsapp With The New Allo Messaging Application by samsard(m): 8:39am On Sep 22, 2016
Dapsonemmanuel:
Pretty sure its not going to be as widely used as whatsapp .. I think this app is just waste of time .. God help them if they get users ... But seriously why is every friggin new app created always based on android and iPhones .. Wtf .. Isn't lumias not worth it??
WindowsPhone has a Small user base, so developers dont find it attractive. It's like a waste of time.
Re: Google Battles Whatsapp With The New Allo Messaging Application by Fidelismaria: 9:46am On Sep 22, 2016
Vorpal:
U Took D Words Rite Outta My Mouth
Re: Google Battles Whatsapp With The New Allo Messaging Application by bigerboy200: 9:51am On Sep 22, 2016
Dapsonemmanuel:
Pretty sure its not going to be as widely used as whatsapp .. I think this app is just waste of time .. God help them if they get users ... But seriously why is every friggin new app created always based on android and iPhones .. Wtf .. Isn't lumia not worth it??
In 2011 wen my friend first told me about whatsapp?? I was like "what nonsense, it's bullshit n all n alll.cos I was a good user of nimbuzz,fb messenger and some other related apps...but today it's widely acceptable...wont be surprised if allo makes everyone 4get whatsapp in a another 5years.....never be too sure.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Google Battles Whatsapp With The New Allo Messaging Application by Dapsonemmanuel(m): 9:54am On Sep 22, 2016
bigerboy200:

In 2011 wen my friend first told me about whatsapp?? I was like "what nonsense, it's bullshit n all n alll.cos I was a good user of nimbuzz,fb messenger and some other related apps...but today it's widely acceptable...wont be surprised if allo makes everyone 4get whatsapp in a another 5years.....never be too sure.
...that would be for bb users hehehe ..
Re: Google Battles Whatsapp With The New Allo Messaging Application by solexybadoo: 11:37am On Sep 22, 2016

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

See The Message A Scammer Sent Me (pics) / Latest Mobile Games For Your Phone / "Despacito” Is The Most Viewed Youtube Video Of All Time In Seven Months

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.