Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,747 members, 7,824,148 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:44 AM

I’m Not Square Peg In Round Hole – Udoma - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I’m Not Square Peg In Round Hole – Udoma (8672 Views)

What Buhari Discussed With Adeosun, Udo Udoma And Emefiele / Dino Melaye: "Buhari, Sack Adeosun, Emefiele And Udoma" / Buhari, Osinbajo & Udoma Scrutinising The Budget 2016 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I’m Not Square Peg In Round Hole – Udoma by odiks: 5:44am On Sep 23, 2016
…Cautions lawmakers

The Minister of Budget and National Planning, Senator Udoma Udo Udoma, yesterday booed the recent call for his removal by members of the National Assembly, rebuffing the view that he is a square peg in a round hole.

National Assembly had upon resumption of normal legislative business after a two-month recess, resolved to place premium on addressing the current recession buffeting the nation’s economy.

Consequently, discussions on the floor of the house, Tuesday, centred on how to pull the country out of recession with some lawmakers calling for the removal of Udoma alongside two other key officials saddled with the responsibility of economic management in President Buhari’s cabinet and their replacement by competent hands to help deliver the country out of recession.

But reacting to the call for his removal, the Minister of Budget and National Planning, Senator Udoma Udo Udoma, enjoined the lawmakers to go back and objectively review his antecedents.

The Minister who spoke through his media aide, Mr. James Akpandem said it is important that the lawmakers be guided by fairness when making utterances about the personality of a fellow public servant.

The Minister said: “In view of the impression given by some members of the National Assembly, that Udoma, is just a lawyer and not at home with economic and planning issues, I think it would be necessary that I make get them informed a bit.

Yes, I studied law in the university but my expertise and experience cut across key sectors of the economy. I want our lawmakers to be more informed, so I enjoin them to go back and review my antecedents.

Before being appointed Minister in November 2015, I had the privilege of being part of a number of Nigeria’s economic and development policy initiatives including but not limited to:

Board Member Unilever Nigeria Plc, Director of Nigerian Economic Summit Group (NESG) up till 2000, Chairman, Task Force on Petroleum Industry Bill, Pioneer Chairman of the Corporate Affairs Commission, chairman, Presidential Committee on Waivers, Incentives and Concessions, chairman of the Governing Board of the Securities and Exchange Commission as well as Chairman of Union Bank Plc, among others, he said”.

http://sunnewsonline.com/im-not-square-peg-in-round-hole-udoma/

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I’m Not Square Peg In Round Hole – Udoma by bigtt76(f): 5:53am On Sep 23, 2016
How does being board chairman or member of a board or committee qualify you to manage a country's budget? The NASS people self are not worthy of being a good representatives of the people yet they're castigating another. Were they not the ones who asked Udoma to take a bow without questioning him? #eDiotsInGovernment

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: I’m Not Square Peg In Round Hole – Udoma by Nobody: 6:27am On Sep 23, 2016
Some ministries must have experts in the field as their head. Udoma is a brilliant lawyer no doubt and has sat on the boards of many blue chip companies. But he seems to be a miscast for the role Buhari assigned to him. I think he would do better as the Minister for Trade and Investment or Foreign Affairs. His ability to perform effectively as the minister for Budget and National Planning has been put to test by the economic challenges ailing the nation. Sadly, he failed woefully.

11 Likes

Re: I’m Not Square Peg In Round Hole – Udoma by gen2briz(m): 8:06am On Sep 23, 2016
Spare us those speecss(in jenifer's voice), and prove to us by action.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I’m Not Square Peg In Round Hole – Udoma by otukpo(f): 8:07am On Sep 23, 2016
Your result says that.
Re: I’m Not Square Peg In Round Hole – Udoma by RareDiamonds: 8:08am On Sep 23, 2016
Yes you are a square peg in round hole !!! Where else in this world are lawyers with little or no knowledge in economics and management made in charge of a vital ministry such as economic planning and budget or made to head the economic management team of a whole country ? Where else, does an unexposed, ill experienced and mere middle level accountant made to manage the finance and fiscal policies of a country ? Only in Nigeria under Buhari. No wonder this id1otic, inept and confused APC government dragged the nation into recession

15 Likes

Re: I’m Not Square Peg In Round Hole – Udoma by morscino: 8:08am On Sep 23, 2016
How many of our lawmakers are lawyers?

4 Likes

Re: I’m Not Square Peg In Round Hole – Udoma by teemanbastos(m): 8:09am On Sep 23, 2016
bejeiodus:
Some ministries must have experts in the field as their head. Udoma is a brilliant lawyer no doubt and has sat on the boards of many blue chip companies. But he seems to be a miscast for the role Buhari assigned to him. I think he would do better as the Minister for Trade and Investment or Foreign Affairs. His ability to perform effectively as the minister for Budget and National Planning has been put to test by the economic challenges ailing the nation. Sadly, he failed woefully.
experts or Not!
I won't agree with the last part of your comment about Udoma failing woefully, i want you to know that you don't expect one person to miraculously revive the economy just like that..it is a common objective.
Altho' it all depends on the Head,if the Head isn't doing anythin,the ministers can't do anything.
Again Even If Buhari is removed, will that solve our economic woes or not? That's why the ONLY choice is to pray He sets us on the right part early enough and come 2019,we bring in someone that has more capability and ability.

6 Likes

Re: I’m Not Square Peg In Round Hole – Udoma by sarrki(m): 8:11am On Sep 23, 2016
Baba Udoma

Don't mind them

We love u guys

Don't be deterred

The Lord is your strength

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: I’m Not Square Peg In Round Hole – Udoma by Nobody: 8:11am On Sep 23, 2016
A team s neva too gud wen d coach or manager is incompetent no matter hw gud d players r.
I bet u som of these ministers cud do a gud job under a vry competent head as d president.

2 Likes

Re: I’m Not Square Peg In Round Hole – Udoma by moufan: 8:12am On Sep 23, 2016
imagine appointing a lawyer as head of Nigeria budgetary system, it's definitely a square peg in a round hole.I ponder the kind of reasoning that warranted this absurd appointment

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I’m Not Square Peg In Round Hole – Udoma by idris4r83(m): 8:12am On Sep 23, 2016
Childish
Re: I’m Not Square Peg In Round Hole – Udoma by shaddoww: 8:12am On Sep 23, 2016
To cut d story short, dey don't like u or u are hurting their business, so dey will definitely want u to go.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I’m Not Square Peg In Round Hole – Udoma by hUmaneOne: 8:13am On Sep 23, 2016
morscino:
How many of our lawmakers are lawyers?
My friend this is a completely different matter here.
A lawyer cannot or should not make laws concerning health-care or engineering because he/she has insufficient insider knowledge.

That is why lawmakers are drawn from every pool. engineers, doctors, businessmen.
The lawmakers then have lawyers who draft their bill and fine tune them according the the ambits of law before presentation to the house.

This man is obviously incompetent in charge of budget

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I’m Not Square Peg In Round Hole – Udoma by BabaAlabi: 8:15am On Sep 23, 2016
Hahaha...Just like when Babatunde got 32nd out of 34th position in Js3 and still boasted he was the most intelligent in class.
I knew Nigerians were in deep trouble when after 6 months of waiting, Buhari appointed former governors and party loyalists instead of technocrats. This economic recession is a manifestation of their incompetence and ineptitude but nobody cares.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I’m Not Square Peg In Round Hole – Udoma by bart10: 8:15am On Sep 23, 2016
Udoma! It's not about being Board Chairman of this or that but your performance. In one year, your performance is woeful!!

1 Like

Re: I’m Not Square Peg In Round Hole – Udoma by weblord1900: 8:15am On Sep 23, 2016
Hmm
Re: I’m Not Square Peg In Round Hole – Udoma by Chipappii(m): 8:23am On Sep 23, 2016
Sir please dont mind them. You are not a square peg, you are not even a peg at all. A square peg in a round hole is even better than you. Our hole is empty with you.

Enjoying my ipob holiday grin tongue

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: I’m Not Square Peg In Round Hole – Udoma by odomanis: 8:27am On Sep 23, 2016
bigtt76:
How does being board chairman or member of a board or committee qualify you to manage a country's budget? The NASS people self are not worthy of being a good representatives of the people yet they're castigating another. Were they not the ones who asked Udoma to take a bow without questioning him? #eDiotsInGovernment

In fairness to the national assembly, portfolio has not been assigned to him then. And this is why people like us believe that the legislature should screen these nominees based on the portfolios assigned to them.

2 Likes

Re: I’m Not Square Peg In Round Hole – Udoma by recievesense: 8:29am On Sep 23, 2016
odomanis:

In fairness to the national assembly, portfolio has not been assigned to him then. And this is why people like us believe that the legislature should screen these nominees based on the portfolios assigned to them.

undecided undecided
Re: I’m Not Square Peg In Round Hole – Udoma by Slest4: 8:31am On Sep 23, 2016
Wow, that's wonderful
Re: I’m Not Square Peg In Round Hole – Udoma by Charly68: 8:40am On Sep 23, 2016
Thank God for this call,it is to make the minister wake up & be on his feet 247 ,things must work in the country,we are not interested in big gramma. Though every sincere Nigerians knows that GEJ ran the economy aground through his policy of gathering & sharing..but now that all hands are on deck we need a change by fire by force
Re: I’m Not Square Peg In Round Hole – Udoma by shomutuski(m): 8:45am On Sep 23, 2016
No he is not.. He is the square peg in the round hole.
Re: I’m Not Square Peg In Round Hole – Udoma by mainkendo: 8:45am On Sep 23, 2016
Next.................
Re: I’m Not Square Peg In Round Hole – Udoma by popye(m): 8:49am On Sep 23, 2016
hehehe cheesy
Re: I’m Not Square Peg In Round Hole – Udoma by morscino: 8:51am On Sep 23, 2016
hUmaneOne:

My friend this is a completely different matter here.
A lawyer cannot make laws concerning health-care or engineering.

Lawmakers are drawn from every pool. engineers, doctors, businessmen.
The lawmakers then have lawyers who draft their bill and fine tune them according the the ambits of law.

This man is obviously incompetent in charge of budget
Trash!...The Nigerian constitution is the lawmaker's Bible.
As an hounourable member,an engineer can make/amend laws that has to do with health with or without the presence of an hounourable member who is a health practitioner,so far it is within the confines of the Nigerian Constitution

as far as I'm concerned, the economic policies of this govt. is on point,our chop n quench attitude over the years has not helped us,So let's save,invest n grow.Which is what dis admin is about.
Re: I’m Not Square Peg In Round Hole – Udoma by Nobody: 8:54am On Sep 23, 2016
moufan:
imagine appointing a lawyer as head of Nigeria budgetary system, it's definitely a square peg in a round hole.I ponder the kind of reasoning that warranted this absurd appointment

Budgeting is a process of compiling data from multiple sources and verifying the data. You don't need an economist to do this. Anyone who thinks like the house does simply hasn't had a good education. Why appoint Obama a lawyer over a complex economy like the US?

The objective of education is allowing you to have a logical thought process. Budgeting or even running a country does not require function specific skill sets. These guys have people to do function specific tasks.

Don't limit yourself.

Even if you have a degree in English you can run IBM Budgeting and by the way anyone who sits on as many corporate boards as Udoma does, can read a corporate balance sheet. A national balance sheet simply has more zeros. Process is the same.

The only reason the house is beefing him is because he was formerly in the PDP. When they passed him as fit to be a minister, were they drunk?

6 Likes

Re: I’m Not Square Peg In Round Hole – Udoma by bigtt76(f): 8:55am On Sep 23, 2016
I know but they should have insisted naaaa!

odomanis:

Re: I’m Not Square Peg In Round Hole – Udoma by hUmaneOne: 8:58am On Sep 23, 2016
morscino:

Trash!...The Nigerian constitution is the lawmaker's Bible.
As an hounourable member,an engineer can make/amend laws that has to do with health with or without the presence of an hounourable member who is a health practitioner,so far it is within the confines of the Nigerian Constitution

as far as I'm concerned, the economic policies of this govt. is on point,our chop n quench attitude over the years has not helped us,So let's save,invest n grow.Which is what dis admin is about.

You're just deliberately silly I think. Have you ever read parts of the constitution?

Who propounded the national health bill?engineers? What do they know about how healthcare should be run?

There are some issues anybody irrespective of educational background,can propounded .but some other bills can only be drawn by professionals.
Bills concerning the banking industry is best drawn by bankers, not lawyers
Bill concerning electricity regulation is best drawn by electricity workers and not pharmacists

The lawyers are needed to fine tune the bill on paper ,to confirm with how a law should be.
Capisch??

1 Like

Re: I’m Not Square Peg In Round Hole – Udoma by AUcom66(m): 9:07am On Sep 23, 2016
This country is in a mess.
Lawyer:minister of budget nd economic planning
Accountant: minister of finance
Lawyer:minister of power, housing nd works
Surgeon :minister of labour nd employment

What do u expect with this type of wack appointments.
Re: I’m Not Square Peg In Round Hole – Udoma by morscino: 9:11am On Sep 23, 2016
hUmaneOne:

You're just deliberately silly I think. Have you ever read parts of the constitution?

Who propounded the national health bill?engineers? What do they know about how healthcare should be run?

There are some issues anybody irrespective of educational background,can propounded .but some other bills can only be drawn by professionals.
Bills concerning the banking industry is best drawn by bankers, not lawyers
Bill concerning electricity regulation is best drawn by electricity workers and not pharmacists

The lawyers are needed to fine tune the bill on paper ,to confirm with how a law should be.
Capisch??
And u keep spewing more thrash!...Dats why there are commitees whose duty is to study whatever is going on in their assigned industry with a view to creating/amending bills with respect to the industry,mind u,the commitee may or may not comprise a professional from the industry.
What do u think lawmakers do during reccess...They study!
There is currently a bill about Nuclear Power generation,so who are the nuclear "Honourable" engineers in charge of that?

1 Like

Re: I’m Not Square Peg In Round Hole – Udoma by AUcom66(m): 9:17am On Sep 23, 2016
greenpasture:

Budgeting is a process of compiling data from multiple sources and verifying the data. You don't need an economist to do this. Anyone who thinks like the house does simply hasn't had a good education. Why appoint Obama a lawyer over a complex economy like the US?

The objective of education is allowing you to have a logical thought process. Budgeting or even running a country does not require function specific skill sets. These guys have people to do function specific tasks.

Don't limit yourself.

Even if you have a degree in English you can run IBM Budgeting and by the way anyone who sits on as many corporate boards as Udoma does, can read a corporate balance sheet. A national balance sheet simply has more zeros. Process is the same.

The only reason the house is beefing him is because he was formerly in the PDP. When they passed him as fit to be a minister, were they drunk?
I disagree with u there are positions or appointments that require a professional on that field. Example is USA, u must be an economist to be a FED chairman.

(1) (2) (Reply)

IPOB Lists 6 States That Will Join ‘new Republic’ / Lady Cries Out Over Deplorable State Of Lagos Road / Atiku Loves The Masses, Hates Influence Of Bullion Van On Elections - Shaibu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.