Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,584 members, 7,837,208 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:57 PM

Must A Woman Wail And Cry During Childbirth? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Must A Woman Wail And Cry During Childbirth? (6113 Views)

Man Pays Tribute To His Late Wife Who Died During Childbirth / Hausa Muslim Girl Impregnated By Igbo Man Dies During Childbirth, Family Wants.. / Nigerian Lady Dies During Childbirth, Leaving Her White Hubby & Son Behind (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Must A Woman Wail And Cry During Childbirth? by crackhaus: 2:22pm On Sep 23, 2016
Ujoan:

SMH! undecided undecided
What is it again, this woman.. cheesy
Re: Must A Woman Wail And Cry During Childbirth? by crackhaus: 2:34pm On Sep 23, 2016
Mindfulness:

My grandma would agree with you to some extent but she says women were stronger because they had enough flesh on their bones and didn't look as anorexic as we do today. grin

Let's not forget how many women died in the course or as a consequence of child birth and how many infants as well. And let's remember how old they looked in their 30s and how attractive some women today can be way past their 40s. wink

Lol, did they die due to pushing the baby out, or was it from complications afterwards due to poor medical care/attention?

The one who designed the human female anatomy sure knows that it can handle childbirth. I read somewhere that the pelvic bones can even move apart to give way, now that's some mean bio-engineering feat right there girl...totally outer-worldly. cool

The summary however is that women these days are just soft and I know you agree with this—so anyhow you choose to explain why y'all are soft, just to sleep better at night, is yo' darn bizniz. tonguetongue

2 Likes

Re: Must A Woman Wail And Cry During Childbirth? by millyj(f): 3:03pm On Sep 23, 2016
Bros the pain we women go through during child birth you can,t begin to understand even if you are inside the labour.after my first child(labouring for almost two days before I finally landed in the theater) it wasn,t funny all couldn,t even talk anymore.my second was OK,my third another near death experience... Overall every woman with their own experience

3 Likes

Re: Must A Woman Wail And Cry During Childbirth? by Nobody: 3:09pm On Sep 23, 2016
crackhaus:

Lol, did they die due to pushing the baby out, or was it from complications afterwards due to poor medical care/attention?

The one who designed the human female anatomy sure knows that it can handle childbirth. I read somewhere that the pelvic bones can even move apart to give way, now that's some mean bio-engineering feat right there girl...totally outer-worldly. cool

The summary however is that women these days are just soft and I know you agree with this—so anyhow you choose to explain why y'all are soft, just to sleep better at night, is yo' darn bizniz. tonguetongue

You can eventually marry a woman who is like our grandmothers used to be back in the day. wink

I don't mind being called soft, pampered and spoiled. cool

Wouldn't change for nothing, not even you. grin tongue

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Must A Woman Wail And Cry During Childbirth? by crackhaus: 3:17pm On Sep 23, 2016
Mindfulness:

You can eventually marry a woman who is like our grandmothers used to be back in the day. wink

I don't mind being called soft, pampered and spoiled. cool

Wouldn't change for nothing, not even you. grin tongue
You assume everytime I type something about women, I'm definitely implying It's a bad thing. cheesy

Nothing wrong in being pampered and soft na...lol. OWN IT!
Re: Must A Woman Wail And Cry During Childbirth? by Nobody: 3:21pm On Sep 23, 2016
crackhaus:

You assume everytime I type something about women, I'm definitely implying It's a bad thing. cheesy

Nothing wrong in being pampered and soft na...lol. OWN IT!

Stop acting innocent all of a sudden. grin
Re: Must A Woman Wail And Cry During Childbirth? by crackhaus: 3:26pm On Sep 23, 2016
Mindfulness:

Stop acting innocent all of a sudden. grin
Lol, more like you need to stop acting like something is wrong with you cos you're soft...no? grin
Re: Must A Woman Wail And Cry During Childbirth? by Nobody: 3:31pm On Sep 23, 2016
crackhaus:

Lol, more like you need to stop acting like something is wrong with you cos you're soft...no? grin

I may be soft but not self-critical. tongue
Re: Must A Woman Wail And Cry During Childbirth? by crackhaus: 3:34pm On Sep 23, 2016
Mindfulness:

I may be soft but not self-critical. tongue
It sure looked like you were being self-critical earlier when you went into auto-defensive just because I called women soft. cheesycheesy
Re: Must A Woman Wail And Cry During Childbirth? by Nobody: 3:35pm On Sep 23, 2016
crackhaus:

It sure looked like you were being self-critical earlier when you went into auto-defensive just because I called women soft. cheesycheesy

I just wanted your attention. grin
Re: Must A Woman Wail And Cry During Childbirth? by crackhaus: 3:49pm On Sep 23, 2016
Mindfulness:

I just wanted your attention. grin
Lol, see yaself? cheesy
Re: Must A Woman Wail And Cry During Childbirth? by Nobody: 3:52pm On Sep 23, 2016
crackhaus:

Lol, see yaself? cheesy

Are you shy now? grin
Re: Must A Woman Wail And Cry During Childbirth? by crackhaus: 4:06pm On Sep 23, 2016
Mindfulness:

Are you shy now? grin
Fascinated actually.

There are more direct ways to get my attention, but your pride won't let you. cheesy
Re: Must A Woman Wail And Cry During Childbirth? by thorpido(m): 4:23pm On Sep 23, 2016
shadeyinka:

Ask the ladies who are "wailers": Does wailing reduce the pain? Or does wailing make the pain more bearable?
I guess it does.I compare it to shouting in sports when you throw a hammer,a javelin or lift weights.

4 Likes

Re: Must A Woman Wail And Cry During Childbirth? by yvelchstores(f): 5:19pm On Sep 23, 2016
shadeyinka:
One of the most painful natural experience a human being go through is childbearing. Most men will respect there wives more if they stay with them during the their time of labour through childbirth.

My concern is just that when you visit our maternity ward especially during child delivery sessions, the kind of unholy cries, wail and curses that come out of most women is appalling. You will wonder where decency and self control ran off to.

When the average White woman is delivering a baby you will hardly hear a sound. I guess it is modernization because in the past at least I know that Yoruba women don't throw up noisy tantrums. Many of them five birth on their way from the farm, .

I actually coached my wife before our babies were born. Some of the lessons are:
1. You may not be able to do anything about the pain, but you can do something about how you react to the pain.
2. Instead of verbal tantrums grab something, squeeze something even if its your lips.
3. Breathing techniques to ventilate the blood so that you don't get tired on time.
4. Faith: it is well, you won't die! Several women have passed through the same situation 3-4 times, you are not alone.
5. Screaming and shouting WILL not reduce the pain.

My wife succeeded in this mission. Thrice, I have not been disappointed. I was in the delivery room with her during the delivery of our last baby. God is wonderful. Women are trying.

To the guys out there, don't leave your wife to face it all alone. You can give her moral and psychological pep up.

Ladies, Your Experience ?
It might help others
just imagine. do u realize some people die in d process of child birth? u have no idea how painful child birth is.

5 Likes

Re: Must A Woman Wail And Cry During Childbirth? by Nobody: 6:02pm On Sep 23, 2016
crackhaus:

What is it again, this woman.. cheesy

If I talknah, they will ban me again for another month. embarassed

But just know that I've said all the things I want to say to you. . . . . In my mind cool cheesy
Re: Must A Woman Wail And Cry During Childbirth? by Ishilove: 6:54pm On Sep 23, 2016
shadeyinka:
One of the most painful natural experience a human being go through is childbearing. Most men will respect there wives more if they stay with them during the their time of labour through childbirth.

My concern is just that when you visit our maternity ward especially during child delivery sessions, the kind of unholy cries, wail and curses that come out of most women is appalling. You will wonder where decency and self control ran off to.

When the average White woman is delivering a baby you will hardly hear a sound. I guess it is modernization because in the past at least I know that Yoruba women don't throw up noisy tantrums. Many of them five birth on their way from the farm, .

I actually coached my wife before our babies were born. Some of the lessons are:
1. You may not be able to do anything about the pain, but you can do something about how you react to the pain.
2. Instead of verbal tantrums grab something, squeeze something even if its your lips.
3. Breathing techniques to ventilate the blood so that you don't get tired on time.
4. Faith: it is well, you won't die! Several women have passed through the same situation 3-4 times, you are not alone.
5. Screaming and shouting WILL not reduce the pain.

My wife succeeded in this mission. Thrice, I have not been disappointed. I was in the delivery room with her during the delivery of our last baby. God is wonderful. Women are trying.

Ladies, Your Experience ?
It might help others
This post is the most unbelievable post I've read in recent times.

You are not qualified to advice women on how to act during labour and you will never be qualified. angry

8 Likes

Re: Must A Woman Wail And Cry During Childbirth? by eyinjuege: 7:12pm On Sep 23, 2016
The Op knows nothing about pain.

I however know your type- that suddenly breaks into a sweat all over and starts feeling faint because they want to pass a needle in your arm to take blood for tests. cheesy

It's very easy to type and tell us how such a wonderful coach you were over your keyboard.

I personally cannot take you or your advice seriously until you tell me what kind of pain YOU have personally experienced otherwise.............

7 Likes

Re: Must A Woman Wail And Cry During Childbirth? by RiloKiley: 7:58pm On Sep 23, 2016
Mindfulness:

Are you shy now? grin
crackhaus:

Fascinated actually.

There are more direct ways to get my attention, but your pride won't let you. cheesy

Both of u get a room already.
Sheesh!

3 Likes

Re: Must A Woman Wail And Cry During Childbirth? by TheArchangel(f): 7:58pm On Sep 23, 2016
crackhaus:

Our female ancestors did not have such privilege of topnotch natal care. There are lots of faults in human anatomy especially in female which manifest during child birth.
There is Cephalopelvic disproportion, a major complication during labour whereby there is a disproportion between the fetal head and the maternal pelvis which is managed by either symphisiotomy, use of obstetric forcep or C-section. Seeing a woman in obvious physical distress labouring for hours only to find out that her pelvic canal is too small for her baby is an agonising experience. .

2 Likes

Re: Must A Woman Wail And Cry During Childbirth? by RiloKiley: 8:07pm On Sep 23, 2016
TheArchangel:
Our female ancestors did not have such privilege of topnotch natal care. There are lots of faults in human anatomy especially in female which manifest during child birth.
There is Cephalopelvic disproportion, a major complication during labour whereby there is a disproportion between the fetal head and the maternal pelvis which is managed by either symphisiotomy, use of obstetric forcep or C-section. Seeing a woman in obvious physical distress labouring for hours only to find out that her pelvic canal is too small for her baby is an agonising experience. .

This is an abnormality. The average female's gynecoid pelvis is very well adapted to handle the challenges of childbirth.
Re: Must A Woman Wail And Cry During Childbirth? by armyofone(m): 9:01pm On Sep 23, 2016
shocked shocked Moved pelvic bones ?
That is a lifetime of permanent pain requiring therapy.

crackhaus:

Re: Must A Woman Wail And Cry During Childbirth? by TheArchangel(f): 9:04pm On Sep 23, 2016
RiloKiley:

This is an abnormality. The average female's gynecoid pelvis is very well adapted to handle the challenges of childbirth.
There is nothing average about a female "gynaecoid" pelvis. Women from different race and colour are born with different pelvic types. Having the so-called gynecoid... ideal pelvis for childbirth does not mean that women with platypelloid, anthropoid and android are walking about with abnormalities.
Four general pelvic types are taught in midwifery and obstetrical schools. Caldwell-Malloy (1933) taught that nearly half of Caucasian women have a Gynecoid pelvis (rounder at the inlet, but wider side-to-side and a little less room front-to-back) while nearly half of women of African descent are said to have an Anthropoid pelvis (oval at the inlet, roomiest front-to-back of all pelvic types).About 1/4 of all women have an android pelvis, with it’s triangular inlet and a bit smaller outlet than its own inlet.
Only about 5% of women are said to have a platypelloid pelvis.( Sylvia- obstetrics by ten teachers).
CPD is a disproportion not an abnormality, it's predisposing factors/ causes maybe abnormal but the disorder itself is not.
Childbirth is not all about the passage which in this case is the pelvis,
the problems from the passenger- baby and it's baggages
and then the problem from the power -- mother are the major contributors to the outcome of labour. When all this are well taken care of, the outcome are often favourable.

2 Likes

Re: Must A Woman Wail And Cry During Childbirth? by shadeyinka(m): 9:08pm On Sep 23, 2016
Ujoan:

Yeah, that's what ante-natal classes are for. But I registered in a Private Hospital where they put more emphasis on Praying/preaching, than actually preparing women for delivery. Antenatal classes were more like crusades and eventually, I just didn't bother with them anymore. Just went on normal clinic days for check-up. embarassed embarassed

I'm not sure women know how to push without being told oh . . . Biko who'd actually think 'pushing' a baby was actually done the same way you'd 'push' out hard poo poo . . . I mean they don't even come out from the same hole undecided undecided

Abeg make I go before I give these our teenage friends HBP! cheesy
Nice chatbwith you though
Re: Must A Woman Wail And Cry During Childbirth? by shadeyinka(m): 9:08pm On Sep 23, 2016
Ujoan:

Yeah, that's what ante-natal classes are for. But I registered in a Private Hospital where they put more emphasis on Praying/preaching, than actually preparing women for delivery. Antenatal classes were more like crusades and eventually, I just didn't bother with them anymore. Just went on normal clinic days for check-up. embarassed embarassed

I'm not sure women know how to push without being told oh . . . Biko who'd actually think 'pushing' a baby was actually done the same way you'd 'push' out hard poo poo . . . I mean they don't even come out from the same hole undecided undecided

Abeg make I go before I give these our teenage friends HBP! cheesy
Nice chat with you though
Re: Must A Woman Wail And Cry During Childbirth? by shadeyinka(m): 9:14pm On Sep 23, 2016
Mindfulness:

My grandma would agree with you to some extent but she says women were stronger because they had enough flesh on their bones and didn't look as anorexic as we do today. grin

Let's not forget how many women died in the course or as a consequence of child birth and how many infants as well. And let's remember how old they looked in their 30s and how attractive some women today can be way past their 40s. wink

You are correct. I guess societal ignorance is also part of the problem. As a village girl, the probability of haven seen a real delivery in process is higher than in the city where the doctors and midwives lock you indoors and come outbafter some hours with a baby.

I guess, seeing more women cope with the pain willbmake more women less traumatized bybthe experience. Its just a guess, you ladies would be able to say ifbsuch examples will help
Re: Must A Woman Wail And Cry During Childbirth? by shadeyinka(m): 9:22pm On Sep 23, 2016
millyj:
Bros the pain we women go through during child birth you can,t begin to understand even if you are inside the labour.after my first child(labouring for almost two days before I finally landed in the theater) it wasn,t funny all couldn,t even talk anymore.my second was OK,my third another near death experience... Overall every woman with their own experience

Yea, every pregnancy is different and there is nothing like "I have experience" in this field.
Re: Must A Woman Wail And Cry During Childbirth? by RiloKiley: 9:27pm On Sep 23, 2016
TheArchangel:
There is nothing average about a female "gynaecoid" pelvis. Women from different race and colour are born with different pelvic types. Having the so-called gynecoid... ideal pelvis for childbirth does not mean that women with platypelloid, anthropoid and android are walking about with abnormalities.
Four general pelvic types are taught in midwifery and obstetrical schools. Caldwell-Malloy (1933) taught that nearly half of Caucasian women have a Gynecoid pelvis (rounder at the inlet, but wider side-to-side and a little less room front-to-back) while nearly half of women of African descent are said to have an Anthropoid pelvis (oval at the inlet, roomiest front-to-back of all pelvic types).About 1/4 of all women have an android pelvis, with it’s triangular inlet and a bit smaller outlet than its own inlet.
Only about 5% of women are said to have a platypelloid pelvis.( Sylvia- obstetrics by ten teachers).
CPD is a disproportion not an abnormality, it's predisposing factors/ causes maybe abnormal but the disorder itself is not.
Childbirth is not all about the passage which in this case is the pelvis,
the problems from the passenger- baby and it's baggages
and then the problem from the power -- mother are the major contributors to the outcome of labour. When all this are well taken care of, the outcome are often favourable.
Lol, thanks for the lecture.

U mentioned only CPD so I addressed only CPD. Ideally the baby's head should pass through the pelvis without much trouble. Cephalopelvic disproportion is an abnormality warranting human intervention. End of story.
Re: Must A Woman Wail And Cry During Childbirth? by shadeyinka(m): 9:29pm On Sep 23, 2016
thorpido:
I guess it does.I compare it to shouting in sports when you throw a hammer,a javelin or lift weights.

No harm with groans or sounds during delivery: it is expected as part of what youbdo to diffuse the pain.

My problem is WAILING and VERBAL TANTRUMS you need to visit sldelivery rooms to understand what some women do during delivery.

I guess a lot has to do with cultural factors(I could be wrong). Note that in this part of the world it is perfectly normal for a female to display maximum emotional display of grief during a funeral.
Re: Must A Woman Wail And Cry During Childbirth? by shadeyinka(m): 9:29pm On Sep 23, 2016
thorpido:

No harm with groans or sounds during delivery: it is expected as part of what youbdo to diffuse the pain.

My problem is WAILING and VERBAL TANTRUMS you need to visit delivery rooms to understand what some women do during delivery.

I guess a lot has to do with cultural factors(I could be wrong). Note that in this part of the world it is perfectly normal for a female to display maximum emotional display of grief during a funeral.
Re: Must A Woman Wail And Cry During Childbirth? by shadeyinka(m): 9:32pm On Sep 23, 2016
yvelchstores:
just imagine. do u realize some people die in d process of child birth? u have no idea how painful child birth is.

If you check my posts, all has been from an understanding point of view. It is not to condem women but to encourage them.

If men were to go through the pains of delivery, the world population would be zero by now. I respect what mothers go through
Re: Must A Woman Wail And Cry During Childbirth? by shadeyinka(m): 9:43pm On Sep 23, 2016
Ishilove:

This post is the most unbelievable post I've read in recent times.

You are not qualified to advice women on how to act during labour and you will never be qualified. angry

No offence intended, I may not be perfectly qualified but I have a track record of success with my wife. She lectures young women with what I taught her.

Sometimes a psychological pep-up is what is required to bear the pain without wails and tantrums.

We were in our three pregnancies together. The greatest lesson is:
The Pain is real and strong
There is nothing you do that will reduce the pain
You can choose to temper your behavior when the contraction starts since wailing doesn't reduce the pain
Learn to breath properly during delivery

Let's not throw away the rational side over the emotional. They complement each other.

Would you rather encourage your younger sister tobexercise some measure of control when the pain comes or to panic and scatter everywhere?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Re: / Anger Reactions In Nigerian Men And Women / Tips On Saving Your Drowning Marriage As A Woman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.