Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,782 members, 7,810,039 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:09 PM

Should Married Men Be Compelled To Stay With Their Wives During Childbirth? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should Married Men Be Compelled To Stay With Their Wives During Childbirth? (2747 Views)

Hausa Muslim Girl Impregnated By Igbo Man Dies During Childbirth, Family Wants.. / Nigerian Lady Dies During Childbirth, Leaving Her White Hubby & Son Behind / Should Married Men Tell Their Wives How Much They Earn? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Married Men Be Compelled To Stay With Their Wives During Childbirth? by millyj(f): 6:11pm On Sep 23, 2016
Even if most men want to be their wives on that day not all hospitals allow it

1 Like

Re: Should Married Men Be Compelled To Stay With Their Wives During Childbirth? by southernbelle(f): 6:20pm On Sep 23, 2016
shadeyinka:

Thank God for a good husband, then you have an obligation not to take him forgranted. I still think its a good experience for him though.

Yea, but I just wouldn't want him there.

3 Likes

Re: Should Married Men Be Compelled To Stay With Their Wives During Childbirth? by shadeyinka(m): 10:07pm On Sep 23, 2016
Mindfulness:

There is a lot that men can actually do to support their wives and in the preparation they can be taught what they can do and many women appreciate this kind of support. Today many midwives make husbands assist them and successfully so.
That is perfectly true. I was in the delivery room with my wife during the delivery of our last baby.

I thought I was prepared for anything (over syllabus) only for the baby to come out with the umbilical cord wrapped round his neck. I was lost!

Thank God for the experienced delivery personnels.

1 Like

Re: Should Married Men Be Compelled To Stay With Their Wives During Childbirth? by shadeyinka(m): 10:11pm On Sep 23, 2016
Mindfulness:

Really? How do you know?

Germans read everywhere the go, in the bus, train , plane etc they seems always having something to read. I guess its cultural (other westerners are not as prolific anyway).

We watch home videos in Nigeria: we hardly read its general
Re: Should Married Men Be Compelled To Stay With Their Wives During Childbirth? by shadeyinka(m): 10:13pm On Sep 23, 2016
goonsmi:
Personally I can't stand it. I am not comfortable with the sight of blood and maybe I am too emotional to witness such. I can't even watch the video that someone sent to me relating to that .

But then I don't need to go through such a process before I know how to appreciate my wife and kids. I love kids a lot and as a single guy I know how to relate and care well for little kids and most around me are always comfortable in my care.

Still OK as long as the man appreciate the effort put in by his wire during delivery. Its no child's play
Re: Should Married Men Be Compelled To Stay With Their Wives During Childbirth? by shadeyinka(m): 10:18pm On Sep 23, 2016
5minsmadness:

No it wont be ok.

Most men who "want to be romantic" and insist on staying almost always end up freaking out and constitute a nuisance and can even bring confusion to the whole process.

We had a program once where we organised antenatal visits involving the men coming with thier wives. After two visits a general consensus was passed by the women to leave the men at home.

I've told the story here before of thr guy who insisted on watching the birth of his first child. That he had prepared himself, watched videos, blah blah. When the head of the baby popped out, he fainted right there in the labour room. So we now had to deal with 2 patients instead of one.

I can't help but laugh on reading your post. It just show that many men are not emotionally as strong as the society would like us to believe.

Do you know that some grown up men cannot kill a rat?

I guess we are built differently when it comes to that aspect of maintaining tour cool in times of crises and emergencies
Re: Should Married Men Be Compelled To Stay With Their Wives During Childbirth? by shadeyinka(m): 10:22pm On Sep 23, 2016
5minsmadness:

No it wont be ok.

Most men who "want to be romantic" and insist on staying almost always end up freaking out and constitute a nuisance and can even bring confusion to the whole process.

We had a program once where we organised antenatal visits involving the men coming with thier wives. After two visits a general consensus was passed by the women to leave the men at home.

I've told the story here before of thr guy who insisted on watching the birth of his first child. That he had prepared himself, watched videos, blah blah. When the head of the baby popped out, he fainted right there in the labour room. So we now had to deal with 2 patients instead of one.

I can't help but laugh on reading your post. It just show that many men are not emotionally as strong as the society would like us to believe.

Do you know that some grown up men cannot kill a rat?

I guess we are built differently when it comes to that aspect of maintaining tour cool in times of crises and emergencies

1 Like

Re: Should Married Men Be Compelled To Stay With Their Wives During Childbirth? by shadeyinka(m): 10:24pm On Sep 23, 2016
lezznjr:
masquerading man hater.

Sorry Bro
I'm a man like you.LOL
Re: Should Married Men Be Compelled To Stay With Their Wives During Childbirth? by shadeyinka(m): 10:27pm On Sep 23, 2016
cococandy:
My husband was there. Every step. I appreciate it. And it helped me through it. He helped me push (literally grin) and cut the cord. So I'd encourage it.

But Force? No I don't think so. As a woman in labor, you want someone who wants to be there with you. Not someone who is reluctantly staying and not helping the situation.

I am in perfect agreement with you. Forceful conscription of a husband into the delivery room may even do more damage to the process and the relationship
Re: Should Married Men Be Compelled To Stay With Their Wives During Childbirth? by shadeyinka(m): 10:31pm On Sep 23, 2016
millyj:

In particular government hospitals. Although, I understand. Sometimes the delivery room is a ward consisting of several naked and semi naked women at various stage sof labour.

In private hospitals however, it can be arranged with the hospital Management
Re: Should Married Men Be Compelled To Stay With Their Wives During Childbirth? by shadeyinka(m): 10:31pm On Sep 23, 2016
millyj:

In particular government hospitals. Although, I understand. Sometimes the delivery room is a ward consisting of several naked and semi naked women at various stages of labour.

In private hospitals however, it can be arranged with the hospital Management
Re: Should Married Men Be Compelled To Stay With Their Wives During Childbirth? by shadeyinka(m): 10:32pm On Sep 23, 2016
southernbelle:

Yea, but I just wouldn't want him there.
OK but what if he insists?
Re: Should Married Men Be Compelled To Stay With Their Wives During Childbirth? by southernbelle(f): 10:58pm On Sep 23, 2016
shadeyinka:

OK but what if he insists?

Then i'll let him have his way.

2 Likes

Re: Should Married Men Be Compelled To Stay With Their Wives During Childbirth? by shadeyinka(m): 11:06pm On Sep 23, 2016
southernbelle:

Then i'll let him have his way.
That's OK. Men should respect the fact that the strength of women lies in their resilience and stamina.. And here most men will fail
Re: Should Married Men Be Compelled To Stay With Their Wives During Childbirth? by Nobody: 7:25pm On Sep 24, 2016
shadeyinka:

Germans read everywhere the go, in the bus, train , plane etc they seems always having something to read. I guess its cultural (other westerners are not as prolific anyway).

We watch home videos in Nigeria: we hardly read its general

And do they tell women to stop screaming during delivery?

I hope you won't make any sound if one of the females here decides to kick you where you would least want to be kicked. grin
Re: Should Married Men Be Compelled To Stay With Their Wives During Childbirth? by shadeyinka(m): 2:38pm On Sep 25, 2016
5minsmadness:

No it wont be ok.

That's a nice one from practical experience. If your husband want to follow you to the ward, you better confirm if he has the liver to do so.

Its not a proof of love to be in the D-ward. LOL

Both husband and wife should be prepared. I have heard of a husband who had to take delivery for his wife in their car as they were going to the hospital (in US). Though not advisable but its better than 100% ignorance
Re: Should Married Men Be Compelled To Stay With Their Wives During Childbirth? by shadeyinka(m): 2:43pm On Sep 25, 2016
Mindfulness:

And do they tell women to stop screaming during delivery?

I hope you won't make any sound if one of the females here decides to kick you where you would least want to be kicked. grin

LOL!
I have actually run away to my village as I speak, under the cocoa tree. One baba is preparing some odenshi and other female proof concusion for me. LOL

I guess I am whipping up sentiments only because I am a man." After all, what practical experience does he have to lecture us!"

I apologize! I didn't intend to put down our women folks no! Far from it.

My point is (which maybe only ladies should discuss ) is:
Since nothing can reduce the pain of childbirth (except medical):
1. Are there things women can do to endure the pain?
2. Is Screaming , Cursing and Tantrums a strong therapeutic pain management strategy?

Unfortunately, I only had just three record of success: with just one patient (my wife) so you see, my position is bad bad bad! So, I understand the sentiment.

A lady should have raised the thread and maybe younger ladies in the house would learn.

.but I have no regret about this, at least we are all learning.

Shalom
Re: Should Married Men Be Compelled To Stay With Their Wives During Childbirth? by Nobody: 2:49pm On Sep 25, 2016
shadeyinka:

LOL!
I have actually run away to my village as I speak, under the cocoa tree. One baba is preparing some odenshi and other female proof concusion for me. LOL

I guess I am whipping up sentiments only because I am a man." After all, what practical experience does he have to lecture us!"

I apologize! I didn't intend to put down our women folks no! Far from it.

My point is (which maybe only ladies should discuss ) is:
Since nothing can reduce the pain of childbirth (except medical):
1. Are there things women can do to endure the pain?
2. Is Screaming , Cursing and Tantrums a strong therapeutic pain management strategy?

Unfortunately, I only had just three record of success: with just one patient (my wife) so you see, my position is bad bad bad! So, I understand the sentiment.

A lady should have raised the thread and maybe younger ladies in the house would learn.

.but I have no regret about this, at least we are all learning.

Shalom

I have no problem with your opinion whether you are a man or not as long as you keep it polite, respectful and friendly and you do but neither do I see why women shouldn't scream. It's not a problem, is it? Why bother at all?

I have never known there are women who don't scream and shout but I know that some women are louder than others. We can't all be the same, can we?

I even make some noise when I suffer from menstrual pains. It isn't loud but it helps me.
Re: Should Married Men Be Compelled To Stay With Their Wives During Childbirth? by shadeyinka(m): 11:07pm On Sep 25, 2016
cococandy:
My husband was there. Every step. I appreciate it. And it helped me through it. He helped me push (literally grin) and cut the cord. So I'd encourage it.

But Force? No I don't think so. As a woman in labor, you want someone who wants to be there with you. Not someone who is reluctantly staying and not helping the situation.

Perfectly in agreement with thou.
Keep that fire of love burning oh. It requires hardwork to sustain that which you have.

Stay blessed

1 Like

Re: Should Married Men Be Compelled To Stay With Their Wives During Childbirth? by shadeyinka(m): 11:09pm On Sep 25, 2016
Mindfulness:

I have no problem with your opinion whether you are a man or not as long as you keep it polite, respectful and friendly and you do but neither do I see why women shouldn't scream. It's not a problem, is it? Why bother at all?

I have never known there are women who don't scream and shout but I know that some women are louder than others. We can't all be the same, can we?

I even make some noise when I suffer from menstrual pains. It isn't loud but it helps me.

I guess different strokes for different folks.

Nice chatting with you though.

Stay blessed

1 Like

Re: Should Married Men Be Compelled To Stay With Their Wives During Childbirth? by cococandy(f): 11:12pm On Sep 25, 2016
shadeyinka:

Perfectly in agreement with thou.
Keep that fire of love burning oh. It requires hardwork to sustain that which you have.

Stay blessed
You too
Re: Should Married Men Be Compelled To Stay With Their Wives During Childbirth? by Nobody: 7:38pm On Sep 27, 2016
shadeyinka:

I guess different strokes for different folks.

Nice chatting with you though.

Stay blessed

Really nice. Stay blessed too. smiley
Re: Should Married Men Be Compelled To Stay With Their Wives During Childbirth? by Nobody: 11:03am On Sep 29, 2016
5minsmadness:

No it wont be ok.

I've told the story here before of thr guy who insisted on watching the birth of his first child. That he had prepared himself, watched videos, blah blah. When the head of the baby popped out, he fainted right there in the labour room. So we now had to deal with 2 patients instead of one

I can't stop laughing

Re: Should Married Men Be Compelled To Stay With Their Wives During Childbirth? by Nobody: 11:50am On Sep 29, 2016
shadeyinka:
In Nigeria, one hardly see a married man following his wife for antenatal examinations at the hospital.

Would it be OK if men are compelled to be by their wives during childbirth?

Wouldn't this make the men appreciate their wives more?

What's your reaction to this?

Well bro, I clearly vouch for this but one could get bitten by a wife about to be delivered as at that moment she is probably aroused by pain and could go berserk.
Re: Should Married Men Be Compelled To Stay With Their Wives During Childbirth? by shadeyinka(m): 1:19pm On Sep 29, 2016
lordnicklaus:

Well bro, I clearly vouch for this but one could get bitten by a wife about to be delivered as at that moment she is probably aroused by pain and could go berserk.

..the moral is,: "if your wife has vampire teeth or her fingernails are more than 1cm, the advise is not for you oh.

(1) (2) (Reply)

What's Wrong With My Brother-inlaw / She Was Raped By Her Gynecologist, Pls Advice! / How Can I Save My Friends Marriage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.