Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,774 members, 7,809,985 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:21 PM

No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari (7242 Views)

Barrister Ben Onwuka, Self Acclaimed Biafra President Arrested In 2014 (Photos) / "No Referendum, No 2019 Election In South-East" - Nnamdi Kanu / I Don’t Want To Be Biafra President— Nnamdi Kanu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari by tawa89(f): 8:07pm On Sep 24, 2016
"No Referendum For Biafra"-President Buhari

Nigeria's President Muhammadu Buhari today foreclosed any chance for a referendum as a path to bring healing and closure to the vexing issue of Biafra. He made the statement during a media event in New York City at the end of his visit to the United States as the leader of Nigeria's delegation to the 71th United Nations' General Assembly. The president stated that the choice left for Biafran activists is to form a political party that would advance their interest within the Nigerian democratic space.

BY SAHARAREPORTERS, NEW YORKSEP 24, 2016
Nigeria's President Muhammadu Buhari today foreclosed any chance for a referendum as a path to bring healing and closure to the vexing issue of Biafra. He made the statement during a media event in New York City at the end of his visit to the United States as the leader of Nigeria's delegation to the 71th United Nations' General Assembly.

The president stated that the choice left for Biafran activists is to form a political party that would advance their interest within the Nigerian democratic space.

The president’s advice to Biafrans activists came a day after commercial activities in some key cities in the South East, and South-South of Nigeria were grounded following a stay at home order from the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB ). There were also protests in various cities around the world by Biafran activists demanding the release from prison of IPOB's leader, Mr. Nnamdi Kanu.

In recent past, the president had been dismissive of Biafran agitators as kids who did not see the Biafra-Nigeria Civil War. A few weeks ago, while speaking to Youth Corp members who visited him at his country home in Daura, the president pressed on them to ask their friends to forget Biafra.

Mr. Buhari also used the opportunity offered by the media event to outline the accomplishments of his trip to the General Assembly. He stated that Nigeria was well represented at various meetings held as part of the General Assembly. President Buhari talked about Nigeria's signing of the Paris Climate Change Accord and progress made at the Chad Basin conference. He announced that the US and the UK pledged over $300 million dollars to support the efforts of his government.

Media personnel at the event were disappointed that the president was not going to take questions from the media despite the event being tagged a press conference. At the insistence of SaharaTV's Adeola Fayehun, the president reconsidered the position and took just three questions. He also granted a ten-minute interview to the Hausa Service of the Voice of America.

Accompanying the president to the event were the governors of Lagos and Zamfara states. Other government officials present were ministers of Foreign Affairs, Justice, Defence, Internal Affairs and other top government officials.

http://saharareporters.com/2016/09/24/no-referendum-biafra-president-buhari

1 Like

Re: No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari by tawa89(f): 8:08pm On Sep 24, 2016
Lalasticala
Re: No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari by ificatchmodeh: 8:11pm On Sep 24, 2016
Okay

1 Like

Re: No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari by okosodo: 8:14pm On Sep 24, 2016
Time will tell

13 Likes

Re: No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari by CSTR2: 8:26pm On Sep 24, 2016
Re: No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari by mrvitalis(m): 8:28pm On Sep 24, 2016
wecan:
Mr. Buhari is afraid. Biafrans don't worry because very soon Nigeria will seize to exist.
No election will hold in South East and some parts of South South come 2019. IPOB IS STRONG AND IS STILL GETTING STRONGER
Ooh We igbos are no longer PDP??
And if election hold in South East in 2019 and nnamdi Kanu is still in jail. . Can I call u a fool for life? ?

10 Likes

Re: No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari by kingsman66(m): 8:29pm On Sep 24, 2016
lala is looking for who to BAN!! out of here jerri
Re: No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari by CSTR2: 8:31pm On Sep 24, 2016
/
Re: No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari by Bari22: 8:32pm On Sep 24, 2016
CSTR2:
It is not up to him anyway. International interest groups like the UN and the US will decide that, not a third world president.
So the UN and US will come to nigeria and conduct the referendum? Let us assume it is so, without the approval of the president.

2 Likes

Re: No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari by Deathslater: 8:36pm On Sep 24, 2016
Buhari is a big flop.

17 Likes

Re: No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari by CSTR2: 8:40pm On Sep 24, 2016
/
Re: No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari by EazyMoh(m): 8:41pm On Sep 24, 2016
E be like say Bubu no dey understand this our sir at home. Na to storm street sure pass!

13 Likes

Re: No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari by MadamExcellency: 8:42pm On Sep 24, 2016
If Buhari insists on refusing questions at Press Briefings then we have a dictatorship and Nigeria is finished.

Thank goodness SaharaReporters forced him to take three questions thereby exposing his mindset on issues of national importance.

This is the same man that spoke for 2 minutes at maximum on each of his presidential campaign trail thereby deceiving Nigerians with APC Manifesto that he never believed in.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari by Omenkata: 8:42pm On Sep 24, 2016
[s]
mrvitalis:

And if election hold in South East in 2019 and nnamdi Kanu is still in jail. . Can I call u a fool for life? ?
[/s]
shame on you

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari by Lajet: 8:49pm On Sep 24, 2016
mrvitalis:

All the time We igbos so you can't say a word without mentioning We Igbos I'm 100% sure that you are not Igbo. Why are you ashamed of your tribe. be proud of your tribe and stop this Nonsense you are doing all the time

39 Likes 6 Shares

Re: No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari by MadamExcellency: 8:49pm On Sep 24, 2016
mrvitalis:

Do Igbos pay tax and statutory levies to this government and country?

You need a Doctor for thorough examination. I presume something is wrong in your system but it's better left for the professionals to diagnose.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari by mrvitalis(m): 8:54pm On Sep 24, 2016
Lajet:

All the time We igbos so you can't say a word without mentioning We Igbos I'm 100% sure that you are not Igbo. Why are you ashamed of your tribe. be proud of your tribe and stop this Nonsense you are doing all the time
If am igbo may u never know peace oya say amen
If am not igbo may I never know peace
Re: No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari by misterawo: 8:54pm On Sep 24, 2016
Buhari should know that INEC does not register any party with separatist ambition. So Buhari's call is in conflict with the law establishing INEC. There can never be any political space in Nigeria for any separatist movement. The option left with them is to continue to embarrass and sabotage the country with their activities.

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari by Rrankdonga(m): 9:00pm On Sep 24, 2016
This man is a Dumb stup!dfu©k. What kind of dunce is this man?? Gosh I'm disgusted.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari by Rayhutar(m): 9:01pm On Sep 24, 2016
[/b]Mrvitalis stop all this your childish before[b],you are not Igbo, all write your write up shows too much hatred for Igbos.Stop impersonating character

8 Likes

Re: No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari by mrvitalis(m): 9:02pm On Sep 24, 2016
Rayhutar:
@mrvitalis I don't think you are Igbo and stop insulting people here and there, everyone is entitled to his own opinion, Nigeria is not working and it need restructuring, a whole university of Ibadan is now under a threat of terrorist bombing. Nothing is working in Nigeria, Tribalism, Ethnic hatred,terrorism, nepotism, corruption is the order of the day in Nigeria after 56 years of nationhood, why can't you guys chart a new course or go your separate ways.
I am an mbaise man and I don't think restructuring will solve the problem.. . There is no hindrance stopping any state from improving there IGR.. . What we need is for the masses to vote the right candidate devoid of party ethnicity and tribe
What's stopping Abia state from developing aba?? What's stop Benue from establishing state farms...
Nigerians are not smart (majority of them) And they vote people of their class. .. That's the problem... When we start voting the right people we will see the difference
Vote nnamdi Kanu as Governor of Abia and watch him show his true colour. .
Restructuring will not do anything.. . I can't see any way it can help

9 Likes

Re: No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari by Ngozi123(f): 9:06pm On Sep 24, 2016
The irony of him saying this whilst at the United Nations Headquarters shouldn't be lost undecided.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari by Rayhutar(m): 9:11pm On Sep 24, 2016
misterawo:
Buhari should know that INEC does not register any party with separatist ambition. So Buhari's call is in conflict with the law establishing INEC. There can never be any political space in Nigeria for any separatist movement. [/b]The option left with them is to continue to embarrass and sabotage the country with their activities.[b]
So they should continue protesting all over the world and you think is not having negative effect on Nigeria image,in Germany here due to their consistent protest in various part of German cities which normally appear on their newspapers, If you have a discussion with a German as a Nigerian,they will as you about boko haram and Biafra issue.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari by leofab(f): 9:14pm On Sep 24, 2016
Maybe he prefer another civil war

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari by fuckyoumhen: 9:16pm On Sep 24, 2016
mrvitalis:

I am an mbaise man and I don't think restructuring will solve the problem.. . There is no hindrance stopping any state from improving there IGR.. . What we need is for the masses to vote the right candidate devoid of party ethnicity and tribe
What's stopping Abia state from developing aba?? What's stop Benue from establishing state farms...
Nigerians are not smart (majority of them) And they vote people of their class. .. That's the problem... When we start voting the right people we will see the difference
Vote nnamdi Kanu as Governor of Abia and watch him show his true colour. .
Restructuring will not do anything.. . I can't see any way it can help
Calm down. consult google to know the meaning of restructuring and it benefits. try to do research about the difference between REGIONAL & FEDERAL system of government then you will know that moimoi is not shit

14 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Buhari Not Validly Nominated, Says Okupe / Mid Term Report : Utomi, Others Rate Sanwo-Olu's Administration High / Nigerians Goes Hard On Tinubu Over This Picture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.