Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,321 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:46 AM

Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? (20521 Views)

Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US / Nigerians In Syria, Are You Back Home?? / What Kind Of Gifts Should I Get For People Back Home? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by Adanne2(f): 4:44pm On Oct 15, 2009
Actually, I  have people abroad, but I don't request much from them and not all the time.

But I believe that a person that is working  in uk is far better than we here.

because dollar is more valuable than ours. Some of them that doesn't give is not because they don't have but because they are not the type that gives.

That is all I have to say for now.

Thanks.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by hackney(m): 4:49pm On Oct 15, 2009
Onye akpiri
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by redsky1: 4:50pm On Oct 15, 2009
after reading the story below - i'm now packing my load and selling my house to come back to our wonderful land - chei who needs a well equipped hospital when u guys are enjoying tis back home.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/15102009/news/news14.html

We perform surgeries with torch - Doctors

Muda Oyeniran, Lagos - 15.10.2009

THE decay in the Nigerian health sector occasioned by the deplorable state of infrastructure was brought to the fore in Lagos, on Wednesday, when the chairman of the Nigerian Medical Association (NMA), Lagos State chapter, Dr. Adedamola Dada, disclosed to the amazement of the audience, that doctors had been performing surgeries using torch and administering drugs with the aid of telephone handsets.

The occasion was a symposium organised by the Lagos NMA, as part of activities to mark the 2009 Physicians’ Week. Dada, who lamented the working conditions of doctors in the country, said they were being confronted daily with problems of caring for the patients in difficult conditions, adding that emergency cases were handled with suctioning machines that were not functional due to blackout.

“I can boast that you can hardly find a practicing surgeon in Nigeria who has not operated a patient using torch as source of illumination,” he added. He, however, expressed regrets that doctors were always at the receiving end when adverse events occurred

“The Nigerian doctor is condemned, insulted and harassed by the people and the press. Thousands of patients, who are daily treated and discharged in good health, are never noted, but the whole world talks endlessly about any infarction,” he added.

Speaking on the bill on gunshot victims currently before the Senate, Dada said the new bill was unnecessary, since there was an existing national health bill already passed by the House of Representatives and awaiting the consideration of the Senate on the same issue.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by sayso: 4:52pm On Oct 15, 2009
then come home if you can,the problem is that there is no money,peeps from 9ja travel for summer/winter holidays on yearly basis.what am saying is that if you do not have the heart to help please do not.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by superstar1(m): 4:53pm On Oct 15, 2009
9ja is both heaven and hell to live in, yes there is roberry, there is kidnapping, i watch Sky News everyday and there is usually almost 1 or 2 cases of murder and kidnapping everyday. Is it not in europe and US that people are being kidnapped for years and raped and they gave birth to their kidnappers. My point is every society have a taste of its own evils. It is normal. Ours can be said to be self inflicted but in  the midst of it we are surviving.Having been to UK, Canada,Germany, Polannd and US and seen wot 9ja guys are going thro, i kno it is not easy to send the money back home. But wot happened to the terminology OUTSOURCING that asian countries are good at esp India, whereby their citizens are working abroad and they repatriate their funds back to the countries. Our 9ja people shd stop complaining and do same jare and lets gbadun ur money (just on a lighter note). The koko be say, anywhere u find urself, excl there.Correct the stupid notion that some of u have that everyone in 9ja is suffering or is a beggar. I know how much parents usually transfer to their wards all over the world in a week from my branch alone. We might not have good govt, (we will surely get there one day, ), but majority provide light fo themselves thro gen, majority provide water for themselves thro borehole, when i say majority i mean majority. The only thing u cannot provide for urself is road, which is the sole responsibility of govt, health, we have enough good private hospitals, with our 9jillion population, we are proudly 9ja

@ redsky1

the NMA doctor is just being mischievious, even huts in villages have generator talkless of hospitals, he was just trying to whip up sympathy to get higher pay, datz the politics
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by mikkyphp(m): 4:54pm On Oct 15, 2009
bros redsky which level sef?
you know say na govt hospitals be all dat.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by MissEZ(f): 4:57pm On Oct 15, 2009
When you think about pounds and dollars, dont think about it in terms of spending it in nigeria, think about spending pounds and dollars in the UK and USA. that is what most pple back home are doing wrong. If i make dollars in the US, will i change it to naira and spend here? of course not, i spend the dollars and trust me, it doesnt go very far.

Imagine making 1000 dollars a month and  u pay tax of almost 200 dollars.ur house rent is 700 dollars, ur fone bill is 80 dollars, ur bus pass is 75 dollars depending on which city u stay in, ur gas and light bill is 150 or more dollars, you have to feed and buy toiletries and such, can u see that before you even finish paying your bills and expenses, the money has already finished. Cost of living Differs based on which state within the US u reside in, but i just wanted to give you a general idea of how thing work.

When u convert 1000 dollars to naira, it may seem like a lot of money, but over here, it is change, People should consier that and remember that you spend the currency in the country that uses it. u cant spend dollars in nigeria on a daily basis, so lets be realistic
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by sayso: 4:58pm On Oct 15, 2009
@superstar1 you are spot on with that bravery,but I will also add that some of us also provide roads to our country home,when those diaspora come home they will surely ride on them.boy boy ndi ocha.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by redsky1: 4:59pm On Oct 15, 2009
mikkyphp:

bros redsky which level sef?
you know say na govt hospitals be all dat.

AFTER A recent visit to nigeria i went what was meant to be a good hospital in the east - trust me - i was not impressed - the blood pressure machine they used should be in a museum (in all my years alive on this earth I have never seen such a device - i came back and told my friends here theu could not stop laughing) and the nurse wanted to take my blood without gloves - when i complained she had the audacity to tell me is it cos i be oyinbo - WTF - woman its basic hygine i'm asking for.

anyway enough with my ranting is it not me moving there next year for a few years.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by DisGuy: 5:03pm On Oct 15, 2009
but come o, IS it a crime to go and enjoy my shyte money at home?
Abi when did wearing clothes and looking fresh (thanks to the cold misery weather grin) become a crime?
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by MissEZ(f): 5:05pm On Oct 15, 2009
Redsky ur hilarious, no de use yankee eye for naija. take naija for what it is, a different country.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by sayso: 5:07pm On Oct 15, 2009
do people go to hospital this days to check blood pressure,I have two Oregon wrist blood pressure for I and Wife,it sells at 12,500 naira not expensive I guess,please buy one next time .
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by superstar1(m): 5:13pm On Oct 15, 2009
@ Redsky1

Na wa for u ooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!! Can u see u could have measure ur so called BP with a wrist instrument of just 12500naira. When next u r coming, but one if hte place where u r staying is so rosy. See, stop making 9ja look like Zimbabwe. We that are staying and coming over for our hols in UK and US are surviiving,
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by redsky1: 5:13pm On Oct 15, 2009
sayso:

do people go to hospital this days to check blood pressure,I have two Oregon wrist blood pressure for I and Wife,it sells at 12,500 naira not expensive I guess,please buy one next time .

thanks for the heads up - i have my machine here with me - i was on holiday - blood pressure machine - not really something i carry in my suitcase when i'm travelling. just reguar travel insurance seems to be sufficient for other holiday destinations!!

i was ill so i guess when ur ill thats one of the things they check - am i making sense now - o another thing the upper arm band blood pressure machines are best.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by BAC: 5:15pm On Oct 15, 2009
Actually money do grow on trees. It depends on what you definition of tree is. Stock market is a big tree
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by redsky1: 5:16pm On Oct 15, 2009
superstar1:

@ Redsky1

Na wa for u ooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!! Can u see u could have measure your so called BP with a wrist instrument of just 12500naira. When next u r coming, but one if hte place where u r staying is so  rosy. See, stop making 9ja look like Zimbabwe. We that are staying and coming over for our hols in UK and US are surviiving,

ok no nigeria is heaven my bad - o hold on having been to uni here and in nigeria and using the facilities in the hostels for students abeg for those that know what i'm talking about - am i making nigeria look bad or are student facilities up to scracth in naija - please if i'm wrong tell me.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by superstar1(m): 5:19pm On Oct 15, 2009
@ Redsky1

Which University did u attended in 9ja.I attended the premier university and u can still hold ur ground anywhere with the certificate.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by hackney(m): 5:19pm On Oct 15, 2009
No matter how much wey ppl back home wan paint the situation, Naija na rubbish.
Tell me one thing wey dey work for that country?

Na so una go dey there dey say 'it's not that bad' when other countries' citizens dey demand
for good standards in facilities and amenities una dey there dey wan cover rotten rubish.

That's why there's no light at the end of the tunnel in that country.

In the diaspora, hard work pays off 247 and if yor are a genius (high IQ) then your limit is beyond the sky.
some ethnic DBA guys sitting next to me in the office here dey collect £2k daily!!!!
(which is around £0.5M\yr ; wetin i dey talk sef? one  genius Mbaise programmer guy dey on £3m/yr)

But if na for Naija ; who be your uncle first.
If we talk revolution people go back-track come here dey talk manage-manage.

All that generator wey dey vibrate person brain with all that noise na better thing?
Oyibo just design that product stamp am 'third world market'.

Nonsense.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by superstar1(m): 5:24pm On Oct 15, 2009
woteva, rot in ur sojourn and lamentation about working 25hrs and paying Mama Charlie's taxes and leave us with our blessing or curse called 9ja, we like am like dat,
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by redsky1: 5:25pm On Oct 15, 2009
hackney:

No matter how much wey ppl back home wan paint the situation, Naija na rubbish.
Tell me one thing wey dey work for that country?

Na so una go dey there dey say 'it's not that bad' when other countries' citizens dey demand
for good standards in facilities and amenities una dey there dey wan cover rotten rubish.

That's why there's no light at the end of the tunnel in that country.

In the diaspora, hard work pays off 247 and if yor are a genius (high IQ) then your limit is beyond the sky.
some ethnic DBA guys sitting next to me in the office here dey collect £2k daily!!!!
(which is around £0.5M\yr ; wetin i dey talk sef? one  genius Mbaise programmer guy dey on £3m/yr)

But if na for Naija ; who be your uncle first.
If we talk revolution people go back-track come here dey talk manage-manage.

All that generator wey dey vibrate person brain with all that noise na better thing?
Oyibo just design that product stamp am 'third world market'.

Nonsense.

thanks jari
if there is a word that i hate is the word manage - which one is manage - in this day and age - i am seen as an agebo if i can't deal with the lack of electricity and get confused when water refuses to leave a tap. and i am told to manage. yes that gen biz gives me a bloody headache.

why are people on here talking about "i have gen, i have borehole" um let me look out of my window, hmmmmmmmmmmmm i can't hear the buzz of the gen next to my house and what do you know - my water is running.

which one is premier university? is it all these private unis that have sprung up since i left

i went to UNN back in the day.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by redsky1: 5:28pm On Oct 15, 2009
superstar1:

woteva, rot in your sojourn and lamentation about working 25hrs and paying Mama Charlie's taxes and leave us with our blessing or curse called 9ja, we like am like dat,

we will do that - and when we get sick we will go to the doctors and not our pastor.

we will actually try and find out what is wrong with us instead of blame it on the juju.

its not even about how u live as well - exposure is also a wonderful thing and being able to travel the world and see and appreciate other cultures and countries is a good thing but u stay there and holiday in Ghana - to u naija is the greatest country on earth.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by Lbrasi: 5:30pm On Oct 15, 2009
9ja is both heaven and hell to live in, yes there is roberry, there is kidnapping, i watch Sky News everyday and there is usually almost 1 or 2 cases of murder and kidnapping everyday. Is it not in europe and US that people are being kidnapped for years and raped and they gave birth to their kidnappers. My point is every society have a taste of its own evils. It is normal. Ours can be said to be self inflicted but in  the midst of it we are surviving.Having been to UK, Canada,Germany, Polannd and US and seen wot 9ja guys are going thro, i kno it is not easy to send the money back home. But wot happened to the terminology OUTSOURCING that asian countries are good at esp India, whereby their citizens are working abroad and they repatriate their funds back to the countries. Our 9ja people shd stop complaining and do same jare and lets gbadun your money (just on a lighter note). The koko be say, anywhere u find urself, excl there.Correct the stupid notion that some of u have that everyone in 9ja is suffering or is a beggar. I know how much parents usually transfer to their wards all over the world in a week from my branch alone. We might not have good govt, (we will surely get there one day, ), but majority provide light fo themselves thro gen, majority provide water for themselves thro borehole, when i say majority i mean majority. The only thing u cannot provide for urself is road, which is the sole responsibility of govt, health, we have enough good private hospitals, with our 9jillion population, we are proudly 9ja[/color][color=Black]

please tell them.u shld also indicate in ur story that ur family n frds demands for ridiculous things not every Nigerian abeg.

Majority of u shld change the notion that every Nigerian back home are suffering.if u see where Nigerians making legitimate money are declaring,trust me u ll be so disappointed let alone pple with illegiimates.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by hackney(m): 5:33pm On Oct 15, 2009
Another thing be say some home boys dey get bad belle.
Na so naija companies come here to employ g's wey study current books with practicals and electricity grin na im the quack ones back home dey revolt with their poor tenses and very crude appearance. (very dried up fu.ckers)

You dey read archaic books, never see one practical ,dey rude by default come dey wonder why UBA dey offer us N9M ; i no even answer those pot-bellied idiots now see naija  banks now,I knew they weren't proficient in any banking skills ; Just to collect oil money deposits and send texts to customers for a rip-off price

U think say na to ride jeep inside gully na im be life?

And e better make mama charlie collect my tax than yar'adua or obasanjo (dogs).
Come see road wey them wan resurface for here; wey already better pass all the roads for abuja.
The only time wey you go hear car horn na for world cup wen people win match.
Water and light still dey function inside ABANDONED train station.

Abeg that place no get head
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by redsky1: 5:34pm On Oct 15, 2009
can some one answer this for me - if nigeria is really the greatest - why do people still fly here for treatment (or anywhere else for that matter) i'm sure if Obama was ill he wouldn't be flying to nigeria or suadi (like our own president)

why do some men send their wives abroad to give birth even thou it might not get the child citizenship.

i'm just asking cos i'm confused and i think u'all can clear it up for me
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by sayso: 5:35pm On Oct 15, 2009
and you are trying to send your voice to the world oohh 9ja people through a forum created by a 9ja,in 9ja from 9ja.I begi make we hear something.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by MissEZ(f): 5:39pm On Oct 15, 2009
at redsky 1

the same reason y from time to time some americans will fly to germany or some other country for medical treatment. America doesnt have everything.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by Meldrick(m): 5:40pm On Oct 15, 2009
If we had the power, a lot of people would have influenced the type of parents they would come through. A lot would have preferred to be children of Bill Gates. If we had power over our lives, a lot of us would have influenced our place of birth. A lot would have chosen to be born in the United Staes but we thank God. He is God and can never be influenced by our selfish interest.

@ redsky

No matter the ambience or enjoyment, you must realize another man's country can never be your country. You could call your friends abroadf and make mokery of the type of hospitals that exist in your country. What a shame.
As underdeveloped as Senegal is, Akon remains an Ambassador and is proud of been a Senegalese. Wyclef Jean never seizes to represent Haiti. Wesley Snipes had to trace his roots to Africa (Nigeria).
My friend, don't feel too comfortable in another man's coutry. Am glad someone enlightened you with the fact that you could own your own wrist BP machine here in Nigeria. Home will always be home.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by sayso: 5:52pm On Oct 15, 2009
my very sad experience about abroad,two of my first cousins made their respective WAEC in one sitting with 7AS and 6AS with 2cs,their Father my Uncle sent them to abroad to study,school fees 1.4m naira each per term,outcome just after 3years,the kids know only night clubs,parties, disrespect,lack of manners,because of freedom while in Nigeria they were the darling of everybody in the family,is that one also juju?
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by redsky1: 5:59pm On Oct 15, 2009
i never deny tat i am Nigerian - i am just fed up of people who belittle those of us abroad as if ur better or something - no body is better people just have different life experiences - is it my fault my family lives here and i grew up here?

is it my fault that things are messed up in Nigeria? naija is messed up - admit it move on and then put minds together to see how things can be improved - u think i'm happy my country that has more natural raw wealth than many developed countries is seen as a third world country.

i will be the first person to defend Nigeria outside this forum when it is being insulted - to the extent one white guy in my office wished he could move to naija self - (ok i did make naija look A BIT TOO NICE), trust me if naija was that bad there is no way in this world i would even be dreaming of coming back - but what am i doing now - packing up my stuff to send home in the next few weeks. my kids will also spend some of their secondary education in Nigeria (so i better work hard cos its Private school all the way)

we don't have facilities in Nigeria but trust me the standard of education in good schools in Nigeria are much better that the average state school here - like i have said - i have been fortunate to have seen both.

if people dropped their bad belle then we could all work together and see what can been done. if we believe we can truly achieve
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by MissEZ(f): 6:03pm On Oct 15, 2009
Redsky

i rather liked ur last post. People lets make the best of what we have. Nigeria for all its faults is still better than some other countries. thank God
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by OvieE: 6:04pm On Oct 15, 2009
Have read many people post here and I must say that few of Nigerians in abroad makes majority of Nigerians look bad. Working from 7 am to 7 mp is not the issue. If Nigeria have that kind of job back home, I am sure people will do it. Is just that no matter how much you have, its not good to go back to Nigeria to show off for others to Know there is more in abroad. yes, there is money in abroad but not to rub it on people face with car or house and throwing money round. That is just senseless.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by sayso: 6:04pm On Oct 15, 2009
@redsky1 now listen to your post,that is the spirit every God fearing Nigerian should have,if we all run away,what will happen to our children's future,one way or the other all hands must walk.Thank you for your honesty in the last paragraph.Let your heart guide you all the way bros.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

NAF Fighter Jet Loses Radar Contact In Borno, Whereabouts Unknown / Interview Questions For Family Reunion Visa Application - My Personal Experience / Repairs On Third Mainland Bridge Begins On July 27, To Last 27 Months

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.