Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,380 members, 7,822,787 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 04:53 PM

Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? (20566 Views)

Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US / Nigerians In Syria, Are You Back Home?? / What Kind Of Gifts Should I Get For People Back Home? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by redsky1: 2:25pm On Oct 15, 2009
chelseabmw:

Because money grow froom trees there, y are u there if not to hussle?Abeg make una send money come house

some of us are here cos its been our home for over 25 years (in my case) u do know that there is a generation of nigerian children now that have second homes. i have been fortunate enough to experience life in nigeria as well.

so not all of us are here to hussle - putting everyine in the same pot.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by Memyselfu2009(m): 2:30pm On Oct 15, 2009
While if u dont want them to ask u 4 money do come back home ok. Why una they complain

Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by Sauron1: 2:32pm On Oct 15, 2009
chosen04:

Most of abroad based people are just too stingy. Majority of them have 4gotten that it was by collective and communal effort that they were sent abroad in the first place. Once they settle down they will start to play God, forgeting when they depended on our prayers to excel.

Jesus Wept!!!!
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by Hoyehdayg(m): 2:34pm On Oct 15, 2009
The truth is: 1. money don't grow on trees, 2. Most of the people here in Nigeria has better jobs than their counterparts over there, BUT, 1. The value of our NAIRA is nothing to write home about, 2. They have less people to take care of
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by Nobody: 2:40pm On Oct 15, 2009
If its not easy for you guys over there, why not come home and do jobs that are dignifying instead of menial jobs that you can't confess you're doing here. A lot of you guys pose beside flashy cars and in friends apartments like you were the owners. The truth is the economy is picking up here in 9ja, people are getting more successful than ever and FYI I know someone who is abroad and asks for money from relatives in 9ja.

There's nothing to living abroad. A lot of them there are suffering
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by novaman: 2:42pm On Oct 15, 2009
this is nonsense, if living abroad is so difficult for you guys abroad, and sure you did not misplace your address, please if you are not comfortable abroad you are free to come back home afterall you do not need visa. Why the noice about money growing on trees; even some of us still send money to people abroad; it is not by force to stay there. If you have money to give your family, please do so. It is not until one travels abroad before financial support is expected from them; some people do not give even with their million; some are naturally stingy. If you don't have say it and let God be your witness.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by redsky1: 2:43pm On Oct 15, 2009
dappssee:

If its not easy for you guys over there, why not come home and do jobs that are dignifying instead of menial jobs that you can't confess you're doing here. A lot of you guys pose beside flashy cars and in friends apartments like you were the owners. The truth is the economy is picking up here in 9ja, people are getting more successful than ever and FYI I know someone who is abroad and asks for money from relatives in 9ja.

There's nothing to living abroad. A lot of them there are suffering

yeah we will do that - thats why i'm not allowed to go out alone whenever i'm in nigeria cos of kidnapping.

can u buy peice of mind - imagine me trying to plan a wedding in Nigeria and have security as a budgetd cost na wah o.

make we suffer here.

not all of us are suffering abeg.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by Ben13: 2:50pm On Oct 15, 2009
see issues.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by Marymos: 2:52pm On Oct 15, 2009
@MEMYSELFU2009,take am easy with our foreign brothers.You think say e dey easy to come back to Nigeria empty handed?
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by platinumnk(f): 3:10pm On Oct 15, 2009
Well. . . not ALL of us are suffering or doing menial jobs here. .

When i came home, all I heard was give give give.
Now I know why my mom packed all that in that suitcase
tongue

It doesnt make sense when one is abroad and building huge mansions in nigeria and refusing to help out others.
I help out when I can , because I know someone would do it for me.
If you have a genuine request, then why not?

But it is irritatting when I see people stunting! Taking pics and sending it home so people can form. Foolish!

I remember when we came home and some man walked up to my dad and asked him to pay for his daughters schooling. . . and i was like say what?

We came home for my grandmothers burial and and the way our home people sucked us dry was ridculous! Every day they came to drink and eat our food! wasnt just one it was like 20-30 people at a time, not even including the burial! Even after the burial my parents had to pay a special visit to the priest to pay money!

^^That extortion has to stop
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by Sauron1: 3:15pm On Oct 15, 2009
platinumnk:

I remember when we came home and some man walked up to my dad and asked him to pay for his daughters schooling. . . and i was like say what?

Chineke Meiiiii!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We came home for my grandmothers burial and and the way our home people sucked us dry was ridculous! Every day they came to drink and eat our food! wasnt just one it was like 20-30 people at a time, not even including the burial! Even after the burial my parents had to pay a special visit to the priest to pay money!

^^That extortion has to stop

Why didn't y'all die 999 for help? grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by platinumnk(f): 3:25pm On Oct 15, 2009
~Sauron~:

Chineke Meiiiii!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOLz grin grin The man was very serious, he kept coming back to the house to talk to my dad everyday about it though i dont think he got what he wanted. ( I was very vocal)
I know he has the funds!

~Sauron~:

Why didn't y'all dial 999 for help? grin grin grin grin

LOL my mom was mad, but my dad considered it an honor though he was complaining when we got home.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by aocosatuyi: 3:30pm On Oct 15, 2009
d edge dat u pple abroad av am sure is d axchange rate.dat is why u pple brag n oppress wen u com 2 NIGERIA
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by Fhemmmy: 3:41pm On Oct 15, 2009
aocosatuyi:

d edge dat u pple abroad av am sure is d axchange rate.dat is why u pple brag n oppress wen u com 2 NIGERIA

Then, tell the govt in Nigeria to do something so that, you will have an edge, cos you seems to be angry
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by koolchicco: 3:46pm On Oct 15, 2009
Fhemmmy:

Then, tell the govt in Nigeria to do something so that, you will have an edge, cos you seems to be angry

The guy dey vex! grin lipsrsealed
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by Fhemmmy: 3:48pm On Oct 15, 2009
koolchicco:

The guy dey vex! grin lipsrsealed

no mind am jare.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by mikkyphp(m): 3:49pm On Oct 15, 2009
for those of you who feel obligated to give even when you dont have, and not bold enuff to say it as it is, i;m sorry for you!
Naija people abroad, if things are hard, try a different turf; maybe back home in naija for those of you with foreign certificates, it may be the breakthrough you need; for those without foreign certificates, the exposure concomitant with your living abroad could help u start off something back home in naija.
but i dont see the biggie in living abroad if you're not doin very well. i knew a guy that was a manager in an insurance firm in naija, with a car, lived in his own house, had kids. i dont know why he decided to resign only to work 3 jobs in cali, one as a shopping mall attendant. with all the degrees he has.
My pastor likes to refer to people/family members who try to drain their supposed richer relatives as having a crab mentality. they're down, and they want to pull everyone down with them by making inceasant demands and riding on sentiments etc.
Naija people just need to be WISE!
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by Demainman1: 3:57pm On Oct 15, 2009
Fellow nigerians!! make una no leave good life 4 yonder come here(abroad) come begin live dis rubbish life wey we dey live here. Infact u don know what u have until u loose it.

for example so many of us carry our wives come here finish, now dem don become bonga-fish for our neck. See woman stress!!!!!

Most times I dey wish say i nefa left naija.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by Fhemmmy: 4:04pm On Oct 15, 2009
mikkyphp:

for those of you who feel obligated to give even when you dont have, and not bold enuff to say it as it is, i;m sorry for you!
Naija people abroad, if things are hard, try a different turf; maybe back home in naija for those of you with foreign certificates, it may be the breakthrough you need; for those without foreign certificates, the exposure concomitant with your living abroad could help u start off something back home in naija.
but i dont see the biggie in living abroad if you're not doin very well. i knew a guy that was a manager in an insurance firm in naija, with a car, lived in his own house, had kids. i dont know why he decided to resign only to work 3 jobs in cali, one as a shopping mall attendant. with all the degrees he has.
My pastor likes to refer to people/family members who try to drain their supposed richer relatives as having a crab mentality. they're down, and they want to pull everyone down with them by making inceasant demands and riding on sentiments etc.
Naija people just need to be WISE!

I am very sure many people will surely like to try something else, like back home, but back home is not that easy to just move there.
1. People are so used to coming home and there is light and no mad people on the street driving on the wrong side of the road, dont have to worry about the bad road, cos you can easily call on your MP to report some bad road and all that, while in Nigeria, you dont even have access to your chairman.

2. To move back to Nija, the people will need a lot of money, at least in a place where they will have to pay 2 years rents in advance, and i wont even advice that, but if they can do that, well, but most of that things are damn expensive, and afterwards, you have to worry about your security, it is easy to visit Nigeria and get out than to come and live there and start looking for ajob, cos all those that sings your praise while you visit and get out, will show you pepper.

3. Getting a job aint that easy in Nigeria even with the foreign certificate, remember, Nigeria is a place of "it is who u know" and for someone that has left Nigeria for donkey years, who would they know, and no one do anything for you without anything in it for them too.

So in one word, it is not that easy for people to move back to Nigeria.
But i do agree th0ough, that Nigeria is where the good money is, if you know the right people.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by MissEZ(f): 4:05pm On Oct 15, 2009
This is the most candid post about what it is like to live in the US and i am excited that people are finally being honest about the struggles here. WE cannot deny that the system here works, but we pay dearly for it to function the way it does. People back home do not understand that and they feel like you are living like a king here. the struggle is everywhere o, it just shows up in a different way
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by Fhemmmy: 4:07pm On Oct 15, 2009
Miss EZ:

This is the most candid post about what it is like to live in the US and i am excited that people are finally being honest about the struggles here. WE cannot deny that the system here works, but we pay dearly for it to function the way it does. People back home do not understand that and they feel like you are living like a king here. the struggle is everywhere o, it just shows up in a different way

Living abroad is only good for the comfort and you are sure you will get something to eat and if you are legal, you will get support, but Nigeria offers nothing if you are below the poverty line, except you have some family that cares
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by ayomidej(f): 4:12pm On Oct 15, 2009
Well they think money is grows on trees, because you are earning pounds or dollars. People do not know the bills and taxes that comes with it grin
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by mikkyphp(m): 4:16pm On Oct 15, 2009
Fhemmmy:

Living abroad is only good for the comfort and you are sure you will get something to eat and if you are legal, you will get support, but Nigeria offers nothing if you are below the poverty line, except you have some family that cares
i beg to wonder if living with Government support and the costly comfort abroad was what "they" set out to achieve with their lives, still a thought though, shocked
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by MissEZ(f): 4:23pm On Oct 15, 2009

Are you talking as an immigrant or a citizen? Sometimes its not even easy to get that aid even when you are legal here. but  i agree with you on the comfort thing.

but a life in yankee is a lifetime of debt. me i am not ready to subscribe to that sha. like u rightly said, moving to naija is not easy. But if you decide to, do your research, apply for jobs b4 u leave, if u can secure acceptance, thats even better.

security is also a problem here. How do u explain walking down the street or hanging out in a bar and getting randomly shot at or mugged, raped? we cannot deny that it happens here on a daily basis in different parts of the country

Its all about choosing your battles and the location. As for me, i am willing to move to naija as soon as i can secure funds and a job. I am not going to live a lifetime of debt here.[quote][/quote]
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by redsky1: 4:27pm On Oct 15, 2009
mikkyphp:

i beg to wonder if living with Government support and the costly comfort abroad was what "they" set out to achieve with their lives, still a thought though,  shocked

WHY DO NIGERIANS DO THIS - did anyone say anything about them in particular getting support from the government. Please tell me - u people in Nigeria - how much does it cost to have the basic things we have here and take for granted cost in Nigeria. u know things like water and electricity - u know things that a human being needs TO LIVE. if you have gen - is it not money to buy, it is not money for disel, u have drivers - are they free? u buy ur water - at least i know in this country it is actually against the law for the water coy to turn off ur water even if ur owning - highest they take u to court.

what is the level of unemployment in nigeria, how easy is it to live a comfortable life in nigeria - and u can't even enjoy it cos ur scared of getting kidnapped, raped , robbed or dying from stray bullet or a pot hole in the road. if naija is so good why do the rich not use the hospitals in nigeria - i thought EVERYONE IN NAIJA COULD AFFORD REDDINGTON.

please life is hard whereever you are. people are just plan lazy - even when i was schooling in nigeria i came over here during my hols worked and went back - so if i wanted to pose back then it was with my sweat - not stealing or asking some relative for cash - or being and aristo big girl.

i'm just so fed up with these people back home who claim to be better than those abroad but deck out their homes with foriegn goods.

no one is saying anywhere is better and not everyone is a cleaner, some of us are consultants, accountants, doctors, lawyers.

if nah only the sufferhead where dey for UK u dey know move with a diff crowd.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by mikkyphp(m): 4:28pm On Oct 15, 2009
@misEZ, nice analysis. but south africa has the highest crime rate with 1 in 5 women haven been raped, and the probability of beeing mugged on the street at night is almost =1 etc. but did that make southafricans living abroad to shun coming home? NO
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by Meldrick(m): 4:32pm On Oct 15, 2009
But why the cry about money growing on trees. If you are not finding it easy abroad, why don't you come home? No body forced you to go abroad. No one will ask you for money except your relatives and close friends that impacted in you when you were in Nigeria. It is time to extend a hand of fellowship and you go about telling the whole world how your own relatives ask you for assistance.
It is only human and natural. Even we in Nigeria extend a hand of fellowship to relatives of ours who need assistance.
I have never dreamt of going to wash cabs or doing any crazy job in another man's country, God has blessed me with a good job in Nigeria and I have always had the orientation that when you work, you don't work for yourself alone but you must impact in lives and be a blessing to people. You don't need to be abroad before people demand from you. Even for us in Nigeria, people demand from us and we have never seized to help because we understand the biblical principle that it is more blessed to give than recieve.

When you leave your country to go and enjoy in another man's country (a product of other people's sweat) expect anything. Come home and better your country if you are going throiugh hell in another man's country. You guys are really the one's putting our country in a bad light among foreign nations. Assist in empowering your people so they will not be a liabilty to you when you are here or abroad.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by mikkyphp(m): 4:35pm On Oct 15, 2009
bros redsky, try to understand me,
there are some people who want to come home, but cant because of the shame of living abroad and having nothing to show and start a life in naija. it is that category of persons (who rely on weekly social support) that i was referring to.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by MissEZ(f): 4:37pm On Oct 15, 2009
Mikkyphp

We are saying the same yhing. I was replying to Fhemmys post. I agreed with some things he said in his last post and also some he mentioned in a much earlier one.

All i was trying to say was that the issues we claim are the reasons we cant go back home can be found anywhere and that was wen i talked abt the analysis u commented on

i finally said that i am not willing to live a lifetime of debt here in yankee cos thats wat all the credit cards, car leases and motgages really are. DEBT!!!

I am actually looking forward to going back home cos to me men, Home is the ultimate, it is where your heart is, and for me that is naija.

Like i said earlier, u just have to choose your battles and the location cos everywhere has its advantages and disadvantages

A Meldrick

You made a very good point. I like the part abt extending a hand of fellowship and working to impact not just ur life, but others.

However i want to correct the impression that nigerians here live on aid. The truth is i tink only american citizens and maybe permanent residence(not sure, maybe) are entitled to government aid.

Secondly the onlypeople that give nigerians a bad name are not the hardworking nigerians that live and work here (even if they are janitors, it is a paying job. there is dignity in labor and we need to stop looking down on people who do these jobs), it is those yahoo boys who reside in nigeria, the UK, the USA, China, wherever they find themselves that are giving nigeria a bad name. Perhaps the government also contributes to that as well by their corruption.

But like i said, u made some good points and i am really glad that things are working for u in naija. i hope that in a few years time i can say the same for myself abt living in naija cos i rly want to come home
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by hackney(m): 4:37pm On Oct 15, 2009
@poster
YES!!! They do.
Thank you.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by redsky1: 4:38pm On Oct 15, 2009
some of us where born and breed here so we didn't all didn't come over.

not everyone came with student visa and is now running from border patrol.

yes money doesn't grow on trees in any country in the world it is just annoying when people ask for stuff they shouldn't be asking for.

i know a widow over here that used to get asked for money all the time by a woman whose husband was alive and working - now please even if the widow is abroad and doing well - why wouldn't someone use their brain and understand that one woman carrying 6 kids alone all under the age of 17 except one will be in a position to give u anything.

why will someone in the village be asking for brand new mobile phone when they are just sitting at home all day doing nothing - is a nokia e71 really a priority right now for an unemployed man?
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by Marymos: 4:41pm On Oct 15, 2009
@MELDRICK,true talk.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Married And Need To Change Name On International Passport. Pls Advice / First International Flight Lands At Enugu Airport Amidst Jubilation / Canada Warns Nigerian Asylum Seekers Crossing From US: There's 'no Free Ticket'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.