Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,577 members, 7,955,124 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 05:35 PM

Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? (21339 Views)

Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US / Nigerians In Syria, Are You Back Home?? / What Kind Of Gifts Should I Get For People Back Home? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by hackney(m): 6:04pm On Oct 15, 2009
As long as the politicians in that lawless country have only one motive, i will
never sing any praises.
Infact that singing praises from inside toilet na im make we dey get embezzlers after embezzlers
dey rule because people wey dey suffer go still defend them.

The embezzlers go run come here still people back home dey praise the country.
Na wa!!!!

Whether make we begin burn naija politican houses for here ; infact all over the diaspora.
Were do i sign up for this? to throw tomato no reach at all!!!!!
If we form group i go light the first petrol because na only revolution go touch them for that country.

topic don dey deviate small sha.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by hardbody: 6:10pm On Oct 15, 2009
@redsky,

For me, all men are equal and we are all good irrespective of where we are. If the 'been to's' will leave it at what it is, people like me would not say a word to them or about them. THis thread was instituted by someone trying to speak down from a higher pedestel. It became important to make it clear that opportunity abounds in both worlds. There is insecurity everywhere, tere is insanity everywhere, the difference is only in degrees. It is only important to let those who think that western world guarantees wealth know that it doesnt happen that way and if u are not well armed for it, u will end up more pauperized abroad than u could ever be in Nigeria. If you are gonna be frank with me bro, when you are broke in both climes, where can u raise money the fastest from a friend or a brother, The answer is 9ja. Whatever we say, this place remains home, Come back and let us salvage it toegther, i took that step a while ago, I have acclamatized, you too can do it.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by redsky1: 6:17pm On Oct 15, 2009
OvieE:

Have read many people post here and I must say that few of Nigerians in abroad makes majority of Nigerians look bad. Working from 7 am to 7 mp is not the issue. If Nigeria have that kind of job back home, I am sure people will do it. Is just that no matter how much you have, its not good to go back to Nigeria to show off for others to Know there is more in abroad. yes, there is money in abroad but not to rub it on people face with car or house and throwing money round. That is just senseless.

are you for real, i know plenty of people that refuse to work cos they have a rich relative to rely on when the going gets tough.

how many students would do the type of jobs students do here to make ends meet - abeg many nigerian girls would rather lie on their back and be big grils than work 7-7 so please lets get real.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by qimpex: 6:33pm On Oct 15, 2009
Fhemmy is right on the moeny!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by Iyara(m): 6:38pm On Oct 15, 2009
Why does everybody assume redsky1 is a guy?
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by redsky1: 6:39pm On Oct 15, 2009
Iyara:

Why does everybody assume redsky1 is a guy?

me i dey wonder as well
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by IgboGirl(f): 6:42pm On Oct 15, 2009
@ Medrick
All these you are talking are all bullsh1t. Why would they come back to Nigeria? And do what? A janitor or cab driver in America will do much better than someone in Nigeria doing same job. Nigeria is a forsaken and corrupt country, those who make it are people in high positions in their jobs or those in oil companies. There are many opportunities in America for students than there is in Nigeria. A student can borrow loan and get a good education in America but that's not the case in Nigeria. However, that does not mean life is that easy here but it's just that you achieve your goals and dreams when u put your mind to it cos the sky is your limit here. So, u folks in Nigeria need to stop assuming that money grows on trees. America is better than Nigeria but still we work really hard here to make ends meet and having ppl back home harrassing us very early in the morning for money is unwelcome and annoying.
Don't tell us that crap abt coming back if we find it difficult here cos we will rather wash dishes here than wash dishes in Nigeria cos doin it here will open doors of opportunity for us than doin it in Nigeria.
the funny thing is that ppl bak home don't ask for small money, it's always in thousands of dollars. and don't be fooled not only relatives bak home ask for money, ppl uve neva heard of b4 that aint related ask of money as well.
frustration is already kiling most students in Nigeria. strike upon strike. it takes 10yrs for someone to finish a 4yr course in Nigeria all b/c of stupid strikes. here in America, it will take u 3yrs or even 2yrs to finish some 4yrs majors.

But why the cry about money growing on trees. If you are not finding it easy abroad, why don't you come home? No body forced you to go abroad. No one will ask you for money except your relatives and close friends that impacted in you when you were in Nigeria. It is time to extend a hand of fellowship and you go about telling the whole world how your own relatives ask you for assistance.
It is only human and natural. Even we in Nigeria extend a hand of fellowship to relatives of ours who need assistance.
I have never dreamt of going to wash cabs or doing any crazy job in another man's country, God has blessed me with a good job in Nigeria and I have always had the orientation that when you work, you don't work for yourself alone but you must impact in lives and be a blessing to people. You don't need to be abroad before people demand from you. Even for us in Nigeria, people demand from us and we have never seized to help because we understand the biblical principle that it is more blessed to give than recieve.

When you leave your country to go and enjoy in another man's country (a product of other people's sweat) expect anything. Come home and better your country if you are going throiugh hell in another man's country. You guys are really the one's putting our country in a bad light among foreign nations. Assist in empowering your people so they will not be a liabilty to you when you are here or abroad.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by IgboGirl(f): 6:46pm On Oct 15, 2009
@ hackney
i share your sentiments abt those politicians bak home. i really do wish we can execute all of them, throwing tomatoes isnt enuf. it was done to OBJ in London and i doubt anything came out of it. i think the politicians, the leaders and their whole families shd be wiped out so that when our own generation become leaders there won't be any chance of the children of the politicians/leaders becoming leaders themselves.
hackney:

As long as the politicians in that lawless country have only one motive, i will
never sing any praises.
Infact that singing praises from inside toilet na im make we dey get embezzlers after embezzlers
dey rule because people wey dey suffer go still defend them.

The embezzlers go run come here still people back home dey praise the country.
Na wa!!!!

Whether make we begin burn naija politican houses for here ; infact all over the diaspora.
Were do i sign up for this? to throw tomato no reach at all!!!!!
If we form group i go light the first petrol because na only revolution go touch them for that country.

topic don dey deviate small sha.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by brauneyes: 6:51pm On Oct 15, 2009
My answer to all is this: Enroll in the Visa Lottery for them back home and pray that at least on person will win.
Let them come and see that particular tree on Times Square that money grows on. Stupid leeches.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by IgboGirl(f): 6:56pm On Oct 15, 2009
brauneyes:

My answer to all is this: Enroll in the Visa Lottery for them back home and pray that at least on person will win.
Let them come and see that particular tree on Times Square that money grows on. Stupid leeches.

you dont have to enroll for them, they shd enroll themselves and fill it out themselves. that's another annoying thing, folks bak home always want u to do everything for them, fill out visa lottery for them, fill out sch applications for them etc. i mean seriously? i know we have computers and internet in Nigeria so wat prevents them from going online and doing these things for themselves? At least if it's to pay for application fee then fine we can send them the money for that but asking us to do everything is just beyond pathetic.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by brauneyes: 7:03pm On Oct 15, 2009
There is no application fees for the Lottery. They have this weird believe that if you use a US address, the chances of getting selected are greater. This is a blatant lie.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by IgboGirl(f): 7:08pm On Oct 15, 2009
Don't mind them.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by brauneyes: 7:13pm On Oct 15, 2009
I have refused to. I shut off my home phone at night these days. grin grin grin
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by IgboGirl(f): 7:16pm On Oct 15, 2009
me, i don't answer any phone calls with Nigerian call ID unless I have it in my contact and sometimes when i answer i make sure they are blood relations whom i know wont start making ridiculous request
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by brauneyes: 7:20pm On Oct 15, 2009
Some VOIP calls from Naija show US area codes smiley
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by IgboGirl(f): 7:30pm On Oct 15, 2009
I know and i've been getting those lately
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by snokky(m): 7:31pm On Oct 15, 2009
U know u guys abroad dey always complain , e no easy , e no easy, still u dey come home with big cars and sending money to build nice houses, still, e no easy.

No wonder why Babasuwe prayed in one of his comedy films say, e no for easy for him too, if thatz wot its gonna take to build houses for lekki and ride exotic cars.

U mean u dey suffer for yankee? still u do wonders for nairaland? plz someone help me too, make i go yankee o,

e gbami,

Eyin oyinbo , e wa fun mi ni visa,

Ilu yi su mi,

Ewa fun mi ni visa,

Mo fe lo je burger, Ewa fun mi ni visa

E si, security, e wa fun mi ni visa

E si future, e wa fun mi ni visa,

Kin maa ku o, e wa fun mi ni visa.

U still remember that song?

Yes, Plz, help me too. i dey sing that song now sef.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by brauneyes: 7:33pm On Oct 15, 2009
Yes, it does not mimic but are actually US servers that these calls emanate from. The Cafe connects to a US based VOIP provider and calls are made.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by Sauron1: 7:35pm On Oct 15, 2009
snokky:

e gbami,

Ilu yi su mi,

Ewa fun mi ni visa,

PRICELESS. grin
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by MissEZ(f): 7:36pm On Oct 15, 2009
@ Brauneyes and Igbogirl

i must say that your posts are really interesting. Even though i agree that pple asking you for money can be annoying, i disagree with the notion that i will rather be a cab driver of janitor here than be in naija. All i will say iss that life here and in naija is totally different. The education system is messed up, i agree with u on that again

But like i said earlier, its about choosing your battles and location. Its easy for u to think your better than those back home because u were fortunate to either be born here or had the means or opportunity to come here. Instead of being proud abt that, be humble and thankful for the opportunity because na God de bless man. that could have easily been u in naija and someone else here saying what your saying. ITs God that has given u this opportunity, those of us here in yankee didnt please God in anyway thats different than others that he made it possible for us to be here.

Another thing i'll say is this, even though life is yankee is more comfortable than it is in naija, it is still a life of DEBT. can u honestly tell me that u dont owe on your car, house, credit card, student loan or somethn else? meanwhile those of our mates back home that have good jobs and are living comfortably own what they have. their cars, furniture, tuition was paid for, so they dont owe on that. I look forward to going back home cos i wont live my life here paying one form of debt or the other. Its all abt the individual choices we make.

No one is better than the other, we live in different circumstances, but each comes with its advantages and disadvantages. this is nothing personal against the two of u and feel free to agree or disagree. this is just my opinion
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by IgboGirl(f): 7:42pm On Oct 15, 2009
let me cut u off on that building houses bak home. a house that shd take few yrs to build takes forever to finish why? cos our relatives share the money into halves, use one half for the house and the other half for their own agenda. i know bunch of ppl here in America whose relatives hav ripped off all in the name of helping to build their houses. mehn dang u folks bak home are wicked. why not use the money to build the house for us first b4 using it for ur own gain? and the annoying part is that they request to move into the house once it's finally finished and even request to drive ur car u shipped home to use when u visit wit ur family. they drive this car, ruin it and still expect u to send money to fix it
snokky:

U know u guys abroad dey always complain , e no easy , e no easy, still u dey come home with big cars and sending money to build nice houses, still, e no easy.

No wonder why Babasuwe prayed in one of his comedy films say, e no for easy for him too, if thatz wot its gonna take to build houses for lekki and ride exotic cars.

U mean u dey suffer for yankee? still u do wonders for nairaland? plz someone help me too, make i go yankee o,

e gbami,

Ilu yi su mi,

Ewa fun mi ni visa,

Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by IgboGirl(f): 7:43pm On Oct 15, 2009
brauneyes:

Yes, it does not mimic but are actually US servers that these calls emanate from. The Cafe connects to a US based VOIP provider and calls are made.

waoh! it's like they make it difficult to ignore their calls
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by brauneyes: 7:46pm On Oct 15, 2009
@miss EZ
i did not in any way say or imply that ppl abroad are better than those in Naija and i did not read that from Igbogirl either. What iam saying is that, we here work too hard to play around with money. As you rightly pointed out, we live in a debt economy. Try going to your mortgage Co and begging them to let you live in your house without payment and see what will happen to you. In Naija, you can beg oga landlord and he will let u stay for a while.
If you do not make your car note, the thing is repossed before you know it.
Iam a compassionate person and i help those that really need help. I 'll rather teach one how to fish than give the person always.
Please do not misunderstand us.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by redsky1: 7:46pm On Oct 15, 2009
Miss EZ:

@ Brauneyes and Igbogirl

i must say that your posts are really interesting. Even though i agree that pple asking you for money can be annoying, i disagree with the notion that i will rather be a cab driver of janitor here than be in naija. All i will say iss that life here and in naija is totally different. The education system is messed up, i agree with u on that again

But like i said earlier, its about choosing your battles and location. Its easy for u to think your better than those back home because u were fortunate to either be born here or had the means or opportunity to come here. Instead of being proud abt that, be humble and thankful for the opportunity because na God de bless man. that could have easily been u in naija and someone else here saying what your saying. ITs God that has given u this opportunity, those of us here in yankee didnt please God in anyway thats different than others that he made it possible for us to be here.

Another thing i'll say is this, even though life is yankee is more comfortable than it is in naija, it is still a life of DEBT. can u honestly tell me that u dont owe on your car, house, credit card, student loan or somethn else? meanwhile those of our mates back home that have good jobs and are living comfortably own what they have. their cars, furniture, tuition was paid for, so they dont owe on that. I look forward to going back home cos i wont live my life here paying one form of debt or the other. Its all abt the individual choices we make.

No one is better than the other, we live in different circumstances, but each comes with its advantages and disadvantages. this is nothing personal against the two of u and feel free to agree or disagree. this is just my opinion

point of correction - do people our age really own their own homes or rent.

lets me real now its not that easy to build mansion like that o!

IgboGirl:

let me cut u off on that building houses bak home. a house that shd take few yrs to build takes forever to finish why? cos our relatives share the money into halves, use one half for the house and the other half for their own agenda. i know bunch of ppl here in America whose relatives hav ripped off all in the name of helping to build their houses. mehn dang u folks bak home are wicked. why not use the money to build the house for us first b4 using it for your own gain? and the annoying part is that they request to move into the house once it's finally finished and even request to drive your car u shipped home to use when u visit wit your family. they drive this car, ruin it and still expect u to send money to fix it

SO TRUE - i remember our gen in the village, thats another story.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by Sauron1: 7:46pm On Oct 15, 2009
Miss EZ:

I don't owe any financial institution any penny.
Contrary to what you think. . . . . Not everyone is entitled to credit cards or loan facilities. They are only given to people with good credit scores.

There's no advantage in staying in Naija as far as i am concerned.
Even when the ones with good jobs collect their salaries at the end of the month, daredevil robbers are lying in wait to take it away from them.
Is that what you call quality of life?

U don't have a prayer. . . . .
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by IgboGirl(f): 7:47pm On Oct 15, 2009
having debts or credits on cars, houses etc is all abt building your credit. America makes a big deal abt credit, one without credit in America is considered a ghost. America loves ppl with good credit score. so, my dear, there's nothing wrong with having credits or paying car notes, student loans or mortgages on houses.
Miss EZ:

@ Brauneyes and Igbogirl

Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by redsky1: 7:48pm On Oct 15, 2009
brauneyes:

@miss EZ
i did not in any way say or imply that ppl abroad are better than those in Naija and i did not read that from Igbogirl either. What iam saying is that, we here work too hard to play around with money. As you rightly pointed out, we live in a debt economy. Try going to your mortgage Co and begging them to let you live in your house without payment and see what will happen to you. In Naija, you can beg oga landlord and he will let u stay for a while.
If you do not make your car note, the thing is repossed before you know it.
Iam a compassionate person and i help those that really need help. I 'll rather teach one how to fish than give the person always.
Please do not misunderstand us.

people in naija have started taking loan for car and house o, debt don't reach lekki peninsula
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by brauneyes: 7:54pm On Oct 15, 2009
@redsky1
i know these things are there now, but can't you run to your village if you cannot make the payments again in Lagos or Abuja or wherever you were. There is no system in place to actually identify who you are.
Do we have social secuirty numbers now in Naija too?
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by snokky(m): 7:59pm On Oct 15, 2009
igbogirl,

u mean say u will send money home and your pple spend am?

that really suggest 2 things asap then.

1. Is either you get some greedy pple as relatives or

2. U too dey too stingy. haba! ki lo de.

Some of una wey dey abroad, family sold that plot of land before they raised your flight fare

u come dey yankee forget them finish , didnt send shishi for that old man, and u want him to build your

house? 4 where?

abegi jare,

Anyway, i wan go Yankee too, anybody here fit help?
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by Meldrick(m): 8:03pm On Oct 15, 2009
IgboGirl:

@ Medrick
All these you are talking are all bullsh1t. Why would they come back to Nigeria? And do what? A janitor or cab driver in America will do much better than someone in Nigeria doing same job. Nigeria is a forsaken and corrupt country, those who make it are people in high positions in their jobs or those in oil companies. There are many opportunities in America for students than there is in Nigeria. A student can borrow loan and get a good education in America but that's not the case in Nigeria. However, that does not mean life is that easy here but it's just that you achieve your goals and dreams when u put your mind to it cos the sky is your limit here. So, u folks in Nigeria need to stop assuming that money grows on trees. America is better than Nigeria but still we work really hard here to make ends meet and having ppl back home harrassing us very early in the morning for money is unwelcome and annoying.
Don't tell us that crap abt coming back if we find it difficult here cos we will rather wash dishes here than wash dishes in Nigeria cos doin it here will open doors of opportunity for us than doin it in Nigeria.
the funny thing is that ppl bak home don't ask for small money, it's always in thousands of dollars. and don't be fooled not only relatives bak home ask for money, ppl uve neva heard of b4 that aint related ask of money as well.
frustration is already kiling most students in Nigeria. strike upon strike. it takes 10yrs for someone to finish a 4yr course in Nigeria all b/c of stupid strikes. here in America, it will take u 3yrs or even 2yrs to finish some 4yrs majors.

@ Igbogirl

A great dissapointment I feel with your post.  You are really short informed on the happenings in Nigeria. I have never scrammbled to travel abroad. The few times I went abroad was just for holiday and it was during my leave in the office but I am one of those Nigerians who believe you can make it anywhere. You must not go and wash dishes or wash dead bodies in another man's country to make it. I consider that the highest level of degredation to a man's worth.

I don't work in an oil company neither am I a politician but God has blessed me with a good job amd I am comfortable with the little that comes from it so does a lot of Nigerians. You say Nigeria is a forsaken country. People like you who badmouth the country will be put to shame but remember when foreigners will be kicked out abroad, you cannot be considered. You can only feel like them but you can never ever be them. No No No.

I suggest you wipe out that username(Igbogirl) and adopt Americangirl. A big shame to some one who is expecting open doors from washing dishes and dead bodies in another man's country. It's quite unfortunate people ask you for money like you said but I doubt if anybody wil ask you for money.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by MissEZ(f): 8:06pm On Oct 15, 2009
everyone has made good points.  

at redsky  i neva said that our mates own houses in naija, i just meant that  whateva they have at this point in time, they own, like cars funiture etc

at Igbogirl, i understand that yankee is built on a creedit system  and i wasnt saying it is bad to have a credit card. i was trying to show the differences btw the US and naija system. You have to adapt to the system u find your self. i have student loans so i am not any different from anyone here. i hope what i said is clearer now

at brauneyes, i dont tink u and igbo girl are in anyway incompassionate. if you read my post again, u will notice i said i understand how annoying it is to have pple asking u for money and i agree with teaching how to fish than giving fish. I was highlighting the differences and what each system ( naija and US)entails. and abt the credit system, o well i guess its inevitable and has always existed, all i am saying is, its not a neccesity. u can choose not to have it and still live decently in naija and maybe here in the US, although i am yet to hear of that happening since it is a credit based society. Please i am not saying it is wrong to have credit cards or take loans o

At Sauron i know not everyone is entitled, i never said everyone is entitled, just highlighting the differences. As for the issue of working and being robbed, where doesnt it happen

bottom line is both systems have advantages and disadvantages, one more than the other and i was just making a comparison. there is no absolute as to which is better. like i said it boils down to individual choices.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by cvibe: 8:08pm On Oct 15, 2009
NaiJa!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Sam Mbakwe International Airport Fire: FAAN Releases Statement, More Photos / Relocation Advice On Skill To Learn. / Relocating From Uyo To Abuja (Is There Anything I Should Know?)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.