Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,162 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:45 AM

How My Hatred For Suits Almost Cost Me An Interview - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How My Hatred For Suits Almost Cost Me An Interview (21976 Views)

JOBS TIPS: Read How To Negotiate “salary” During An Interview / A Friend Came From Abuja For An Interview But The Office Looks More Like A Shop / It Will Cost Me At Least N80k/Month To Make A Trip To My Npower-Teach Community (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How My Hatred For Suits Almost Cost Me An Interview by fxskye: 3:56pm On Sep 27, 2016
ckc:
I was recently invited to an interview for a managerial post and I decided to wear my usual corporate long sleeves and trouser. This is my usual dressing to interviews. I have never loved suits. In fact the only time I have worn suit was on my wedding. So I was doing well in the interview until the panelists said my shirt was washed and even though I am not wearing suits, I could have worn something better. I was truly shocked that was a new shirt I was wearing for the 1st time after my brother brought it down from abroad. Embarrassed was an understatement. Guess my performance was more important to them than my "washed shirt" cos after less than 24hrs after the interview I was called that I was successful and being invited for 2nd stage interview this weekend. Now I am not taking chances... I have bought a brand new smart suit! Please can one also wear senators to an interview though I have never tried it. That's also a corporate wear isn't it? Let's discuss things you can wear to interviews guys!

The Interviewers weren't the serious type. Provided your dressing was corporate (Long sleeve shirt, Trouser with belt, Tie & corporate shoe) to match, that is the basic.

Faded/Washed shirt? Mba.......This is beginning of training towards corruption. In an advance environment, interviewers presumed u wear your best to the venue.

Naija HR, I hail ooooo
Re: How My Hatred For Suits Almost Cost Me An Interview by ricababy1: 3:57pm On Sep 27, 2016
your shirt was washed was part of the interview they want to know your reaction towards that statement and your feeling.
Re: How My Hatred For Suits Almost Cost Me An Interview by olamyde85: 4:00pm On Sep 27, 2016
Put more effort my bro I hate suit a lot somethin I gate people suit up...... I witnessed some aluta day some years ago those people put on suit and well long sleeve put a fire in building and look at our big brothers and sister suit up they are the best thiefs...... By the way they ate teaching you how to look and fraud....
Re: How My Hatred For Suits Almost Cost Me An Interview by Nobody: 4:02pm On Sep 27, 2016
Okijajuju1:
I hate suits but started wearing them on Mondays and Blazers on other days because of the Mad Punnana I started getting.. grin

I get respected everywhere I go and it opens doors for me..

But guys, please make sure the suit sits properly on your body.

Also avoid those jump up trousers, it takes away the smartness from your suit and turns you into a raggamuffin.

Wear a nice shirt with Cuff sleeves and try to wear a statement cufflinks..

I hate ties so the max I can compromise is a cravet.

Pocket Squares too always adds a little something, something to your suit.

Make sure your shoes are well polished.. (Oxfords not Brogues.. grin) iKnow... grin

Then walk Straight and have a presence. Walk into the interview room brimming of confidence, a warm smile and a firm handshake.

can I be u'r protégé? Ur dress sense can make ur female interviewer fall in love
Re: How My Hatred For Suits Almost Cost Me An Interview by Tmercy(m): 4:03pm On Sep 27, 2016
ckc:
Why do u think I was embarrassed? I was the one that removed the packet and tags for Christ's sake. U don't argue with ur interviewers but I was really tempted to. Just ended up telling them I was sorry about the way they felt about my dressing.
they tested ur patience dat's all
Re: How My Hatred For Suits Almost Cost Me An Interview by ricababy1: 4:04pm On Sep 27, 2016
thank your God
Re: How My Hatred For Suits Almost Cost Me An Interview by Nobody: 4:04pm On Sep 27, 2016
Viktor1983:
I hate suits too,but fortunately will never ever go for any interview...but I own one though.
It pays to always have one handy.
A black or navy blue one.

I av one too. Since I bought it e neva enter my body. I prefer dressing the way the op described.

1 Like

Re: How My Hatred For Suits Almost Cost Me An Interview by centboy123456(m): 4:10pm On Sep 27, 2016
iamkingzlee:
Are you saying putting on a suit to an interview is absurd?

I hate when people are saying am going for a job interview fact you just have to be you own boss
Re: How My Hatred For Suits Almost Cost Me An Interview by Originalsly: 4:12pm On Sep 27, 2016
A shirt from abroad doesn't mean it is of better quality. Op said the shirt was brand new... he unwrapped it. If something was not right with the shirt... it would've likely been the size..too big or too small/the colour... inappropriate /the material... wool or some shimmering material/ the style...with frills/tassels/not ironed...but never looked washed. The guy had to know the shirt was brand new.... so he must say the opposite... a lie... to test his reaction. Anger Control 101.
Re: How My Hatred For Suits Almost Cost Me An Interview by Sanctecosma(m): 4:25pm On Sep 27, 2016
It seems to me you took that statement much to heart to mean that ur dressing wasn't right for d interview. Anyways, if u're sincere about the newness of dt ur shirt then looking at that statement wt my celebral spectacle, I think it was made to test ur character. As u said u were really tempted to argue with em but ended up apologizing. Who knows what would have happened if u had taken d bait. Perhaps u wud have lost d chance of qualifying for d second stage of d interview but thank God u scaled thru.
Re: How My Hatred For Suits Almost Cost Me An Interview by adimsmt: 4:30pm On Sep 27, 2016
ckc:
I was recently invited to an interview for a managerial post and I decided to wear my usual corporate long sleeves and trouser. This is my usual dressing to interviews. I have never loved suits. In fact the only time I have worn suit was on my wedding. So I was doing well in the interview until the panelists said my shirt was washed and even though I am not wearing suits, I could have worn something better. I was truly shocked that was a new shirt I was wearing for the 1st time after my brother brought it down from abroad. Embarrassed was an understatement. Guess my performance was more important to them than my "washed shirt" cos after less than 24hrs after the interview I was called that I was successful and being invited for 2nd stage interview this weekend. Now I am not taking chances... I have bought a brand new smart suit! Please can one also wear senators to an interview though I have never tried it. That's also a corporate wear isn't it? Let's discuss things you can wear to interviews guys!

What you need a clean dress shirt, dress pant, dress shoe and tie and you are good to go.
Re: How My Hatred For Suits Almost Cost Me An Interview by Okijajuju1(m): 4:33pm On Sep 27, 2016
CuteMorriz:
why you were offered that much was because you had evidence of being paid...where I work, when the wanted automation engineers the external guys hear big company some they call 650k...I just dey observe when hr tell them to bring pay slip some brought 100k...omo na 85k I hear say company plan to pay them...naija is bleeped up

Evidence ke?! The payslip I sent them was more than 1m per month.. angry I asked for that amount as a sign of stepping down.

Thats just the difference between an IOC and Local company.. Local Companies dey price person like dried fish and expect you to work like Horse.
Re: How My Hatred For Suits Almost Cost Me An Interview by Sanctecosma(m): 4:45pm On Sep 27, 2016
Again, I don't think der is anything wrong with dressing coperate to any interview. Instead of trying to impress d HRM by going in suit for d next appointment, won't it be more appealing if u spice up a bit by dressing SMARTLY coperate next time.
Re: How My Hatred For Suits Almost Cost Me An Interview by taurustm(m): 4:52pm On Sep 27, 2016
My brother, don't you think what you wore to the first interview might have made you succeeded for the second interview? They might made a comment you don't like but proved to them you so much have the managerial confidence they wants. Don't look down on yourself, rather try and know what they really want.
Re: How My Hatred For Suits Almost Cost Me An Interview by Blackboy2194(m): 4:59pm On Sep 27, 2016
spartoo:
they said "no jobs" but people are still going for interviews...

where is my own interview naa

It is well, soon, with God all things are possible, he will make a way where there seems to be no way.
Re: How My Hatred For Suits Almost Cost Me An Interview by Okijajuju1(m): 5:01pm On Sep 27, 2016
martyns303:

This guy!!! I was reading the comment with a bit of grin on my face, then I decided to check the moniker.

Oxford men shoe cost N16K least, very good pair of suit cost N60K least, good shirt eg Hawes&Curtis cost N15K, u can get it for N10K if u knw where to look. That's almost N100K bros, how many job seekers get that kind cash for one outfit?

About the jump up trouser, I don't like my trousers too long, I like it standing exactly at the top of my shoes, so when I take a walk u notice my socks. Very nice socks, am sitted in the pics below, so the trouser is a bit higher than it is.

Lol.. Dressing well actually costs quite a bit, be it traditional or otherwise. But here are some cool shortcuts;

1. Tailor lo'ron a.k.a Locally sewn. In my wardrobe, I own over 10 pairs of suit and only one was bought (a gift from my Dad on my very first day of work). And that suit is the most ill-fitting. Find a local tailor that knows what he is doing and get him to make you a bespoke suit. Even if it costs the same as the 'ready-made', the fitting can never be comparable.

Try ABA.. You will be amazed what some of those tailors can sew.. (Just don't give them creative freedom lest you come out looking like a 'Nwanna'.. grin) and pay them extra to use top quality accessories when making it.

Even my wedding suit was bespoke by my tailor.. That Nigga na sculptor. grin

3. Tailor Lo'ron also makes my shirts.. I am huge and most shirts off the rack don't fit right.

4. Low end Oxfords (or Brogues) go from 10'k - 20'k a pair.. whish isnt too bad. Remember that you wouldn't wear them everyday so they will last you longer.

Basically, as undergrads and co, we spend money on the latest trends, sneakers, kicks and boots, t-shirts, jeans, native attires and all that. But if we had slowly started investing in one nice pair of suit for Interview and formal purpose, by the time you are finishing school or NYSC, you should be able to boast of 1 suit, 1 shirt, 1 shoe and 1 belt wey ehn only job na interview. grin Nobody is saying go and bankrupt yourself on a Tom Ford suit. grin

And I like the fact that your trousers end on top of your shoes. That can work. Mine goes lower. You will only notice my Mickey Mouse or Southpark socks when i cross my feet of when I sit down. grin Some niggas just let their trousers stop at their knees.. grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How My Hatred For Suits Almost Cost Me An Interview by martyns303(m): 5:26pm On Sep 27, 2016
Okijajuju1:

Lol.. Dressing well actually costs quite a bit, be it traditional or otherwise. But here are some cool shortcuts;

1. Tailor lo'ron a.k.a Locally sewn. In my wardrobe, I own over 10 pairs of suit and only one was bought (a gift from my Dad on my very first day of work). And that suit is the most ill-fitting. Find a local tailor that knows what he is doing and get him to make you a bespoke suit. Even if it costs the same as the 'ready-made', the fitting can never be comparable.

Try ABA.. You will be amazed what some of those tailors can sew.. (Just don't give them creative freedom lest you come out looking like a 'Nwanna'.. grin) and pay them extra to use top quality accessories when making it.

Even my wedding suit was bespoke by my tailor.. That Nigga na sculptor. grin

3. Tailor Lo'ron also makes my shirts.. I am huge and most shirts off the rack don't fit right.

4. Low end Oxfords (or Brogues) go from 10'k - 20'k a pair.. whish isnt too bad. Remember that you wouldn't wear them everyday so they will last you longer.

Basically, as undergrads and co, we spend money on the latest trends, sneakers, kicks and boots, t-shirts, jeans, native attires and all that. But if we had slowly started investing in one nice pair of suit for Interview and formal purpose, by the time you are finishing school or NYSC, you should be able to boast of 1 suit, 1 shirt, 1 shoe and 1 belt wey ehn only job na interview. grin Nobody is saying go and bankrupt yourself on a Tom Ford suit. grin

And I like the fact that your trousers end on top of your shoes. That can work. Mine goes lower. You will only notice my Mickey Mouse or Southpark socks when i cross my feet of when I sit down. grin Some niggas just let their trousers stop at their knees.. grin

N10K for a pair of shoe is a lot for a lot of people, tnk God ur old man was there to bail u out on ur first suit.

Used to be a skinny guy back in Uni, I usually go to Aba and have this guy (Fish, don't know why they call him Fish tho) make me clothes that fit, he owns a warehouse and tailors, I just select the materials and they cut and sow, N3K for everything, this was around 2010.

Made my first suit 2011 in PH and I didn't like the outcome. When am ready u'll hook me up with ur tailor. Moss Bros is costing me a arm and leg...
Re: How My Hatred For Suits Almost Cost Me An Interview by Xtopher123(m): 5:30pm On Sep 27, 2016
Architects don't do suits... undecided

SO suit is a no for me.. If you wont accept me cos I didnt put on Suit, then You never really wanted my service
Re: How My Hatred For Suits Almost Cost Me An Interview by dadasupremacy(m): 5:42pm On Sep 27, 2016
Dont like suit because am short,it makes me
look like small stout
Re: How My Hatred For Suits Almost Cost Me An Interview by SmathGate(m): 5:50pm On Sep 27, 2016
Xtopher123:
Architects don't do suits... undecided

SO suit is a no for me.. If you wont accept me cos I didnt put on Suit, then You never really wanted my service
who said so? in which book?, you better don't delude yourself, architects don't do suits abi ki le le yin soo. if you don't do suits... that you, don't generalize it angry angry angry
Re: How My Hatred For Suits Almost Cost Me An Interview by Xtopher123(m): 5:55pm On Sep 27, 2016
SmathGate:

who said so? in which book?, you better don't delude yourself, architects don't do suits abi ki le le yin soo. if you don't do suits... that you, don't generalize it angry angry angry

Seems You didnt see where i said SUit is a NO FOR ME huh?
Re: How My Hatred For Suits Almost Cost Me An Interview by Richy4(m): 6:25pm On Sep 27, 2016
They were totally rude.... The shirt u were wearing got nothing to do with your experiences as long as it is clean and was not a shouting colour...

If u are not being interviewed for a modelling job then that statement was rude...
Re: How My Hatred For Suits Almost Cost Me An Interview by ckc(m): 7:06pm On Sep 27, 2016
redcliff:

to be honest, I would not feel apologetic for dressing in a corporate shirt and trouser. That in itself is also corporate.
Thanks. U really got my point!
Re: How My Hatred For Suits Almost Cost Me An Interview by ckc(m): 7:10pm On Sep 27, 2016
kingphilip:
as long as you are outside the shores of Nigeria it's abroad

I won't be surprised if it's from Benin Republic because that one self na abroad
Forget yabs..... the shirt is from Ukraine!
Re: How My Hatred For Suits Almost Cost Me An Interview by Okijajuju1(m): 7:29pm On Sep 27, 2016
martyns303:

N10K for a pair of shoe is a lot for a lot of people, tnk God ur old man was there to bail u out on ur first suit.

Used to be a skinny guy back in Uni, I usually go to Aba and have this guy (Fish, don't know why they call him Fish tho) make me clothes that fit, he owns a warehouse and tailors, I just select the materials and they cut and sow, N3K for everything, this was around 2010.

Made my first suit 2011 in PH and I didn't like the outcome. When am ready u'll hook me up with ur tailor. Moss Bros is costing me a arm and leg...

Even if it is free, it would still be unaffordable to some. grin

My tailor is always available but I must warn you that he is quite pricey but I stake my reputation on his work..

I have not contacted my old Aba tailor in yonkers.

1 Like

Re: How My Hatred For Suits Almost Cost Me An Interview by spartoo: 7:31pm On Sep 27, 2016
Blackboy2194:

It is well, soon, with God all things are possible, he will make a way where there seems to be no way.

Amen.. I can't wait.

thanks you sir
Re: How My Hatred For Suits Almost Cost Me An Interview by deltateam: 7:49pm On Sep 27, 2016
martyns303:
You want to work for a cooperate organization but hate suits? You should have choosed another profession then, don't u think so?

Nonetheless I perfectly understand you, I used to hate ties, till I got into a profession that requires me to wear them always.

About your shirts, please buy quality shirts, you can NEVER go wrong with Hawes&Curtis, and they can last up to 8yrs without fading (as long as u have enough to rotate the week)

Suits makes you look dashing, matured and respectable.

See your mouth Hawes and Curtis that costs between 6k to 12k depending is what you are advertising in this era.
Re: How My Hatred For Suits Almost Cost Me An Interview by wonderfulchild: 8:13pm On Sep 27, 2016
Bros,, you are lucky ooo. I can't forget the first time I attended bank interview with sparkling white shirt and corporate skirt, tucked in, with correct medium-heeled shoes. The kind of stares I got from the interviewers the moment I stepped into the interview room, I am yet to forget it. they commented on it.I know I did well in the interview,but I did not smell the second stage. Though some that wore first-class suits suffered same fate. Since that day, even if it's low-key job, the suit must be worn.
Re: How My Hatred For Suits Almost Cost Me An Interview by HERSLEY(f): 8:14pm On Sep 27, 2016
ckc:
whr u at Apapa 2day?
Re: How My Hatred For Suits Almost Cost Me An Interview by LaClickLaBend: 8:23pm On Sep 27, 2016
YerYer:
Only poor people dress to impress; you would never see Mark Zuckerberg wearing suit for board meetings unless he's meeting with presidents and very iconic figures.
kindly reread yur post and tell me if yu do not feel stupid
Re: How My Hatred For Suits Almost Cost Me An Interview by Theultimate(m): 8:25pm On Sep 27, 2016
ckc:
Why do u think I was embarrassed? I was the one that removed the packet and tags for Christ's sake. U don't argue with ur interviewers but I was really tempted to. Just ended up telling them I was sorry about the way they felt about my dressing.

A lesson learnt:...... "U don't argue with ur interviewers"
One would have started explaining and trying to make them understand.
#God_bless.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Vacancies @ Arik Air - October 2013 / Two Million Young Nigerians To Get UNICEF Job Training / Advice:50k Job No Transport Or 70k Job On Island To Spend 15k Transport?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.