Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,998 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:02 AM

How My Hatred For Suits Almost Cost Me An Interview - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How My Hatred For Suits Almost Cost Me An Interview (21958 Views)

JOBS TIPS: Read How To Negotiate “salary” During An Interview / A Friend Came From Abuja For An Interview But The Office Looks More Like A Shop / It Will Cost Me At Least N80k/Month To Make A Trip To My Npower-Teach Community (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

How My Hatred For Suits Almost Cost Me An Interview by ckc(m): 11:14am On Sep 27, 2016
I was recently invited to an interview for a managerial post and I decided to wear my usual corporate long sleeves and trouser. This is my usual dressing to interviews. I have never loved suits. In fact the only time I have worn suit was on my wedding. So I was doing well in the interview until the panelists said my shirt was washed and even though I am not wearing suits, I could have worn something better. I was truly shocked that was a new shirt I was wearing for the 1st time after my brother brought it down from abroad. Embarrassed was an understatement. Guess my performance was more important to them than my "washed shirt" cos after less than 24hrs after the interview I was called that I was successful and being invited for 2nd stage interview this weekend. Now I am not taking chances... I have bought a brand new smart suit! Please can one also wear senators to an interview though I have never tried it. That's also a corporate wear isn't it? Let's discuss things you can wear to interviews guys!

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How My Hatred For Suits Almost Cost Me An Interview by Destined2win: 11:18am On Sep 27, 2016
Your brother brought the shirt from abroad and it looked washed?
Probably, it's okirika

151 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How My Hatred For Suits Almost Cost Me An Interview by ckc(m): 11:22am On Sep 27, 2016
Destined2win:

Probably, it's okirika
Why do u think I was embarrassed? I was the one that removed the packet and tags for Christ's sake. U don't argue with ur interviewers but I was really tempted to. Just ended up telling them I was sorry about the way they felt about my dressing.

26 Likes

Re: How My Hatred For Suits Almost Cost Me An Interview by Cutehector(m): 11:24am On Sep 27, 2016
Lol. I can relate to that.. Nigerian HRM are just not it at all..

11 Likes

Re: How My Hatred For Suits Almost Cost Me An Interview by Teniolasmart: 12:50pm On Sep 27, 2016
u are a lucky dude.......................;..................................bt i personally dont like them

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How My Hatred For Suits Almost Cost Me An Interview by chillingbabe: 12:56pm On Sep 27, 2016
ckc:
I was recently invited to an interview for a managerial post and I decided to wear my usual corporate long sleeves and trouser. This is my usual dressing to interviews. I have never loved suits. In fact the only time I have worn suit was on my wedding. So I was doing well in the interview until the panelists said my shirt was washed and even though I am not wearing suits, I could have worn something better. I was truly shocked that was a new shirt I was wearing for the 1st time after my brother brought it down from abroad. Embarrassed was an understatement. Guess my performance was more important to them than my "washed shirt" cos after less than 24hrs after the interview I was called that I was successful and being invited for 2nd stage interview this weekend. Now I am not taking chances... I have bought a brand new smart suit! Please can one also wear senators to an interview though I have never tried it. That's also a corporate wear isn't it? Let's discuss things you can wear to interviews guys!
Senators are not corporate ooo...Later you'll ask if you can wear kaftan or agbada...Senators fall under "Native/Traditional attire" no matter how it looks or fits. "Senators" is the least thing you can ever dream of wearing for an interview, highly unacceptable.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: How My Hatred For Suits Almost Cost Me An Interview by Julietcutie(f): 3:11pm On Sep 27, 2016
hmm
Re: How My Hatred For Suits Almost Cost Me An Interview by YerYer: 3:11pm On Sep 27, 2016
Only poor people dress to impress; you would never see Mark Zuckerberg wearing suit for board meetings unless he's meeting with presidents and very iconic figures.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How My Hatred For Suits Almost Cost Me An Interview by Nobody: 3:11pm On Sep 27, 2016
Ok

1 Like

Re: How My Hatred For Suits Almost Cost Me An Interview by martyns303(m): 3:11pm On Sep 27, 2016
You want to work for a cooperate organization but hate suits? You should have choosed another profession then, don't u think so?

Nonetheless I perfectly understand you, I used to hate ties, till I got into a profession that requires me to wear them always.

About your shirts, please buy quality shirts, you can NEVER go wrong with Hawes&Curtis, and they can last up to 8yrs without fading (as long as u have enough to rotate the week)

Suits makes you look dashing, matured and respectable.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How My Hatred For Suits Almost Cost Me An Interview by salabscholar01(m): 3:12pm On Sep 27, 2016
For Nigeria, even though you're going for a masquerade job interview, to be on the safer side, wear suit.. the way you dress the way you will be addressed grin

And for the clothe your brother had bought for you, that clothe may simply not impress us here locally, forget the abroad tag or whatever, get a either a clean Nigerian white or sky-blue longs sleeves, get a gentle tie then suit up...you're ok

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: How My Hatred For Suits Almost Cost Me An Interview by rollUP(m): 3:12pm On Sep 27, 2016
Na so
Re: How My Hatred For Suits Almost Cost Me An Interview by Ddonoflife(m): 3:12pm On Sep 27, 2016
lmao
Re: How My Hatred For Suits Almost Cost Me An Interview by Edwardhead(m): 3:13pm On Sep 27, 2016
grin grin
Re: How My Hatred For Suits Almost Cost Me An Interview by spartoo: 3:14pm On Sep 27, 2016
they said "no jobs" but people are still going for interviews...

where is my own interview naa

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: How My Hatred For Suits Almost Cost Me An Interview by rollUP(m): 3:14pm On Sep 27, 2016
Destined2win:

Probably, it's okirika

2 Likes

Re: How My Hatred For Suits Almost Cost Me An Interview by Nobody: 3:14pm On Sep 27, 2016
How can you hate suits mehn, you on a long thing.
Re: How My Hatred For Suits Almost Cost Me An Interview by emeijeh(m): 3:15pm On Sep 27, 2016
H
Re: How My Hatred For Suits Almost Cost Me An Interview by oscaruzie(m): 3:15pm On Sep 27, 2016
YerYer:
Only poor people dress to impress; you would never see Mark Zuckerberg wearing suit for board meetings unless he's meeting with presidents and very iconic figures.

hu b dis one nah...yeye true true

8 Likes

Re: How My Hatred For Suits Almost Cost Me An Interview by Oladimejyy(m): 3:16pm On Sep 27, 2016
Destined2win:

Probably, it's okirika
It maybe an America okirika

1 Like

Re: How My Hatred For Suits Almost Cost Me An Interview by dancocity(m): 3:16pm On Sep 27, 2016
Unto chilling! I day chill with Mr Senator, no problem bro just wear that kind one DSP Enweremadu wore him trial with SP Saraki... grin
Re: How My Hatred For Suits Almost Cost Me An Interview by redcliff: 3:16pm On Sep 27, 2016
ckc:

to be honest, I would not feel apologetic for dressing in a corporate shirt and trouser. That in itself is also corporate.

2 Likes

Re: How My Hatred For Suits Almost Cost Me An Interview by Okijajuju1(m): 3:17pm On Sep 27, 2016
I hate suits but started wearing them on Mondays and Blazers on other days because of the Mad Punnana I started getting.. grin

I get respected everywhere I go and it opens doors for me..

But guys, please make sure the suit sits properly on your body.

Also avoid those jump up trousers, it takes away the smartness from your suit and turns you into a raggamuffin.

Wear a nice shirt with Cuff sleeves and try to wear a statement cufflinks..

I hate ties so the max I can compromise is a cravet.

Pocket Squares too always adds a little something, something to your suit.

Make sure your shoes are well polished.. (Oxfords not Brogues.. grin) iKnow... grin

Then walk Straight and have a presence. Walk into the interview room brimming of confidence, a warm smile and a firm handshake.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How My Hatred For Suits Almost Cost Me An Interview by chillingbabe: 3:17pm On Sep 27, 2016
YerYer:
In essence, someone should wear Polo and jeans for an interview abi? Shame shame shame...Shame!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How My Hatred For Suits Almost Cost Me An Interview by ShitHead(m): 3:17pm On Sep 27, 2016
You no hate suits reach me sef. I intentionally wore jeans to my project defense and 7 marks deducted from me. Right now in my office, my suit is on the suit hanger, and I have no tie on. I HATE SUITS. I LOVE MY JOB.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How My Hatred For Suits Almost Cost Me An Interview by frubben(m): 3:17pm On Sep 27, 2016
You can where camo and bodyhug grin

2 Likes

Re: How My Hatred For Suits Almost Cost Me An Interview by Okijajuju1(m): 3:18pm On Sep 27, 2016
Destined2win:

Probably, it's okirika

BRUTAL!!!
Re: How My Hatred For Suits Almost Cost Me An Interview by Viktor1983(m): 3:18pm On Sep 27, 2016
I hate suits too,but fortunately will never ever go for any interview...but I own one though.
It pays to always have one handy.
A black or navy blue one.

2 Likes

Re: How My Hatred For Suits Almost Cost Me An Interview by Nobody: 3:18pm On Sep 27, 2016
op, I haven't worn a suit before in life, thank God I did traditional marriage.

but I will soon wear one, I have a proposal to defend, which I must dress very corporate.
Re: How My Hatred For Suits Almost Cost Me An Interview by kingphilip(m): 3:19pm On Sep 27, 2016
Destined2win:

Probably, it's okirika
as long as you are outside the shores of Nigeria it's abroad

I won't be surprised if it's from Benin Republic because that one self na abroad

1 Like

Re: How My Hatred For Suits Almost Cost Me An Interview by tafrica(m): 3:19pm On Sep 27, 2016
You're lucky, guess you performed very well. But how can anyone hate suit? Suit is a gift to the fashion world, anyone rocks it. Suit shouldn't be necessary anyway, depending on the job type, but in Nigeria, you haven't completed your dressing for interview without suit.

1 Like

Re: How My Hatred For Suits Almost Cost Me An Interview by itzgbengene: 3:19pm On Sep 27, 2016
You should have captioned it d "The suit my brother bought for me from abroad"

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Should I Accept This Job Offer? / Boston Consulting Group Graduate Analyst Programme 2021 / Two Million Young Nigerians To Get UNICEF Job Training

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.