Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,035 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:05 AM

Recession: Governors Frustrated Us From Saving For Rainy Day – Obasanjo - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Recession: Governors Frustrated Us From Saving For Rainy Day – Obasanjo (26811 Views)

APC Crisis: How Governors Frustrated Oyegun’s Plot To Abort Convention / PDP Died Day Obasanjo Publicly Tore His Membership Card – Perry Opara / Burataigate: Secret Of Saving For $450,000 Dubai House Revealed. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Recession: Governors Frustrated Us From Saving For Rainy Day – Obasanjo by Bestow7: 10:34pm On Sep 27, 2016
Fucken man
Re: Recession: Governors Frustrated Us From Saving For Rainy Day – Obasanjo by vislabraye(m): 10:55pm On Sep 27, 2016
eleojo23:

Are you alright? angry

OBJ is talking about his inability to save during his time and you are here calling GEJ.

Don't mind the zombie. His hatred for Gej will give him high bp

2 Likes

Re: Recession: Governors Frustrated Us From Saving For Rainy Day – Obasanjo by babestella: 11:02pm On Sep 27, 2016
sarrki:

Fmr President Gej is a weak leader he lacks the political

Will to save.

That is what baba is trying to lecture your hero & his followers

You musts be a donkey. Where were you when the moronnic governors took him to court, the likes of Amaechi and fashole should be brought out in the market square and stoned. You think GEJ is the ram you people voted in there that doesn't obey rule of law?

Abeg go and sip kunu because no matter how much this present administration fails, you will never blame them, you will look for who to blame. nonsense.

3 Likes

Re: Recession: Governors Frustrated Us From Saving For Rainy Day – Obasanjo by babestella: 11:07pm On Sep 27, 2016
sarrki:

Lol

The truth is no matter how you want to justify your hero

He's still one of the biggest mistakes Nigeria ever made

The truth is bro we can't go back to Egypt

STFU, your likes irritate me a lot, i feel that with people like you, we will never never move forward. Now you ask yourself, is Nigeria cursed, people will say no, but some will say yes, guess what, I will say yes because Nigeria is cursed with brainless, wick dark souls like you, I can never imagine that I am in the same country with people that have their hearts filled with evil, darkness and wickedness.
Even in the face of the obvious failure of your messiah PMB, you still look for someone to blame.

Please find you medicine and drink, you are lost my bro.

3 Likes

Re: Recession: Governors Frustrated Us From Saving For Rainy Day – Obasanjo by ancientbanana: 12:13am On Sep 28, 2016
sarrki:

Will to save.

Obasanjo said at the event attended by global pension players and top government officials, “I remember when I was in government and I told, particularly, the governors, ‘please let us save for the rainy days.’ They said no!. So isn't obvious he fell prey to d govs too. Learn to read n assimilate b4 talking trash

2 Likes

Re: Recession: Governors Frustrated Us From Saving For Rainy Day – Obasanjo by ancientbanana: 12:18am On Sep 28, 2016
babestella:

You musts be a donkey. Where were you when the moronnic governors took him to court, the likes of Amaechi and fashole should be brought out in the market square and stoned. You think GEJ is the ram you people voted in there that doesn't obey rule of law?

Abeg go and sip kunu because no matter how much this present administration fails, you will never blame them, you will look for who to blame. nonsense.
don't mind him. They don't know buhari is a curse placed on nigerians n d more they continue the blame game the curses become stronger. No matter how good DIA policies my sound the Curse on pmb will shatter it. The longer they fail to realize Dis the more nigerian suffer from a Cursed man

2 Likes

Re: Recession: Governors Frustrated Us From Saving For Rainy Day – Obasanjo by nortcentrallord(m): 2:30am On Sep 28, 2016
sarrki:

Will to save.

Common sense is truly not common. Either you people are hollow heads or you just choose not to accept the truth. Who forc OB no to save? It was GE t governors for not to save. Wasn't st ameachi, st saraki and your other saints now in apc the took the government of GEJ to court so they can share the money in the ECA account? Did any governor took Obj to court? If yes please le se the link and If am lying, prove me wrong.

2 Likes

Re: Recession: Governors Frustrated Us From Saving For Rainy Day – Obasanjo by nortcentrallord(m): 2:31am On Sep 28, 2016
sarrki:

Will to save.

Common sense is truly not common. Either you people are hollow heads or you just choose not to accept the truth. Who forc OB no to save? It was GE t governors for not to save. Wasn't st ameachi, st saraki and your other saints now in apc the took the government of GEJ to court so they can share the money in the ECA account? Did any governor took Obj to court? If yes please let's see the link and If am lying, prove me wrong. And just to educate you lot, the statement NOI made about the administration not having the political will to save is exactly what obj just affirmed. An administration comprises of the three arms of government. Only block heads will think an administration signifies just one individual.

2 Likes

Re: Recession: Governors Frustrated Us From Saving For Rainy Day – Obasanjo by nortcentrallord(m): 2:35am On Sep 28, 2016
maafen:
That's true, I remember when the Governors were suing FG to court that ECA was illegal

That was in GEJ's administration no obj so if anyone should say that it should b GEJ.

2 Likes

Re: Recession: Governors Frustrated Us From Saving For Rainy Day – Obasanjo by Nobody: 5:10am On Sep 28, 2016
sarrki:

Lol

The truth is no matter how you want to justify your hero

He's still one of the biggest mistakes Nigeria ever made

The truth is bro we can't go back to Egypt
You actually went back to Egypt when Buhari took over. Buhari with his 1983 frozen brain has taken you to Egypt. maybe zombiism will not allow you to see or know

3 Likes

Re: Recession: Governors Frustrated Us From Saving For Rainy Day – Obasanjo by berrystunn(m): 5:30am On Sep 28, 2016
sarrki:

Will to save.

That why you did not pass any exams

3 Likes

Re: Recession: Governors Frustrated Us From Saving For Rainy Day – Obasanjo by Kennitrust(m): 6:08am On Sep 28, 2016
chuii! it should have been Jonathan. obj miss yarn.

2 Likes

Re: Recession: Governors Frustrated Us From Saving For Rainy Day – Obasanjo by davidif: 6:40am On Sep 28, 2016
Built2last:
The same governors are supporting sale of National assets and Buhari will not learn.

I have asked people who support sale of national assets.

If we sell our assets to fund 2016 budget today. What shall we sell to fund 2017 and 2018 budget?

I am totally against sale of any damn thing. APC government has proven to be monumentally clueless about governance .

Our problem began with the stupid policy on Dollars.

The APC government said Nigerians can't withdraw or deposit dollars into their own accounts. This was after a dollarised elections.

Dollar left circulation and scarcity was created. This lasted 3 months before the reversed the policy. People looked for alternative to hide their dollars or push it outside Nigeria. Till today we have not recovered from that stupid policy of APC led government.

If APC can't make Nigeria better than they found it. Can't they atleast maintain the status quo. Leave bag of Rice at 8k you met it and other commodities.

2019 please come.

Bros, what's wrong with privatization now? It worked with NITEL. Those assets would be efficiently run if there were in the hands of the private sector.

What the Nigerian govt needs to do is to completely get out of the oil and gas sector and just focus on collecting revenue. The govt has no business there except to make sure that people are following the rules.

In developed countries, govts (be it central, state or local) usually have no business getting involved in the oil business or controlling resources, they simply leave that to the free market.

Naija would be out of a recession if they too had there hands out of business like Natural gas (or oil) and leave it to private enterprise. Until we learn private property rights and the power of the free markets in this country, the country might not reach its potential. I have said it before and i would say it again, STATISM does not work. There is a reason why Nigeria and other African countries are poor and that's partly because statist policies in those countries that stifle innovation and job creation. If you think i am lying check out Nigeria's rank in the Economic Freedoms Index, you would see that Nigeria ranks #116 and they are wondering why Nigeria is still poor.
http://www.heritage.org/index/ranking

[size=14pt]stat·ism[/size]
ˈstātˌizəm/Submit
noun

a political system in which the state has substantial centralized control over social and economic affairs.

Example: Nigeria practices statism.
Another example: Statism has failed woefully in Nigeria.
Re: Recession: Governors Frustrated Us From Saving For Rainy Day – Obasanjo by izobemheuwaize: 9:00am On Sep 28, 2016
maafen:
That's true, I remember when the Governors were suing FG to court that ECA was illegal

True
Re: Recession: Governors Frustrated Us From Saving For Rainy Day – Obasanjo by banio: 9:37am On Sep 28, 2016
FG blame governors for depletion of excess crude account
The Coordinating Minister for the Economy and Minister of Finance, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, has accused the state governor’s demand for distribution of the nation’s resources and opposition to the establishment of the Sovereign Wealth Fund, as the reasons for the depletion of the Excess Crude Account (ECA).

She noted that the withdrawal and sharing of the monthly allocation has depleted the excess crude account to just about $3.6 billion as against over $20 billion, saved in the reserve account in 2006.

The Minister warned that if the price of crude oil drops, the nation has no cushion for the economy because $3.6 billion is not enough to take the economy to any length of time.

Dr Okonjo-Iweala made these revelations at the first civil society forum organised by the Ministry of Finance on Thursday in Abuja.

According to the Minister, “the ECA and the Sovereign Wealth Fund (SWF) are very important, but we have the state governors saying no, we will only allow $1billion. In fact, we managed to get that, and now, they said it is illegal; and so, the country is not able to save in the ECA and we have left today in that account only about $3.6bn.”

“Every month, because they (the governors) say it is illegal, we have been dipping hands into it (ECA). Instead of moving that money into the sovereign wealth account, it is being shared until it is almost at the bottom” she said, adding that “the argument about the legality or illegality is a moot point because we have spent almost all the money.”

She further explained that “what that means is that should the price of oil drop today, we have no cushion because $3.6bn for this economy is not enough to take us to any length of time, and that was what I told them at the governors’ forum during the National Economic Council meeting the last time.”  The governor’s forum is currently challenging the constitutionality of the Sovereign Wealth Fund in the court.

She also allayed fears that $1billion SWF would be mismanaged by the Federal Government, pointing out that the Sovereign Wealth Act which establishes the Fund adequately provides for accountability in its management.

Noting that fiscal federalism has created problems for the management of the Nigerian economy, Dr Okonjo-Iweala declared that “Nigeria, because of fiscal federalism cannot save.”

“The constitution says the President should manage the economy for the benefit of everybody. The decision to save is also part of the management of the economy for the benefit of the people of Nigeria. Every state can save but the Federal Government can save for all Nigerians. The governors can insist on accountability in the management of the SWF as a guarantee against their apprehension” she opined.

Emphasising the need for more savings, she noted that the crisis in Europe and the United States where about 60 per cent of the country’s crude oil is sold has made it difficult for the government to depend solely on oil revenue.

“This country depends on a product that is sold internationally and whatever happens there affects us. That is why we need to have savings. Sixty per cent of our oil is sold to the US and Europe, and these countries are facing big economic problems. For instance, the US has an unemployment rate of eight per cent; Spain, 24 per cent; and India, 9.9 per cent.

“So, if 60 per cent of our oil is sold to them, then we have a problem and any country that has great volatility such as ours will always have problem, and this will lead to crisis in the economy.”http://www.channelstv.com/2012/04/13/fg-blame-governors-for-depletion-of-excess-crude-account/
Re: Recession: Governors Frustrated Us From Saving For Rainy Day – Obasanjo by davidif: 9:48am On Sep 28, 2016
This is why allocation must stop.
Re: Recession: Governors Frustrated Us From Saving For Rainy Day – Obasanjo by Splashme: 10:29am On Sep 28, 2016
Hiploko:
Obasanjo now a wailer. Thank God no be GEJ or NOI talk am. Zombies, over to una.. Pls bring Amaechi and Fashola along. Happy recession
Re: Recession: Governors Frustrated Us From Saving For Rainy Day – Obasanjo by Saicology212: 5:15pm On Sep 28, 2016
sarrki:

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/09/recession-governors-frustrated-us-saving-rainy-day-obasanjo/

I remember when Amaechi, whilst in PDP and as Chairman of the NGF, was insisting that the ECA be shared during the GEJ tenure. Today. he is opening his mouth to condemn the PDP.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Buhari, Tinubu, Saraki In An interactive Dinner (Photos) / NLC, TUC Kicks Off Protest In Lagos (photos) / Osinbajo Says Buhari Is NOT Corrupt, Nigerians React

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.