Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,223 members, 7,953,849 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 07:45 AM

Lets Start The Discussion About A Possible Young Nigerian President - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lets Start The Discussion About A Possible Young Nigerian President (778 Views)

Asari Dokubo: "Buhari Was Cloned In London, Current Nigerian President Is Fake" / Fayose Reacts To CNN Mockery Of Nigerian President / Thomas-Wilson Ikubese To Contest For Nigerian President In 2019 (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lets Start The Discussion About A Possible Young Nigerian President by socialmediaman: 1:44pm On Sep 30, 2016
It's time to start that discussion, guys. Seun you're invited to this discussion.

First of all, without boring you, let me make a case why I think we need young Nigerians in Politics.

Case 1: Young people are better to bring Nigeria together. Sectionalism and Nepotism is a thing associated with the older generation. They started it, they've failed in integrating Nigeria. They promoted religious and ethnic intolerance and the younger generation will continue in that line if we do not strip them of leadership now

Case 2: Young Nigerians are leaders all over the world. What qualifications did Gowon, Ojukwu, Buhari, IBB etc have when they ruled Nigeria that our young people do not have today? We've seen young men and women who are leaders of Globally recognized Tech Companies today, for instance, Chinedu Echeruo who secured a $1 Billion Dollar deal with Apple. What about Seun for instance? If he can build a brand like nairaland, he can build a State or lead A nation. Some of our leaders can't even do these great things, yet we rest our hopes on them year in year out.

Case 3: Nigeria's Presidency and Governorship positions need smart people. While you need experienced people around you as advisers, you need to be smart and wise to be president or Governor or Leader. Nigerian young people are smart, wise and have what it takes to be leaders.

Forget the 80% or so who may not be qualified, This discussion is about the 20% or so who can lead Nigeria in this 21st century.

Over to you Guys, let the discussion start. I'm willing to contribute to such a campaign fund which will sponsor young Nigerians to leadership positions. I know there are potentially Millions of other young Nigerian leaders who are heading big companies home and abroad who can contribute millions to this project and change this country for the better.

1 Like

Re: Lets Start The Discussion About A Possible Young Nigerian President by socialmediaman: 1:45pm On Sep 30, 2016
cc: Seun, lalasticlala, mynd44, tonyebarcanista, passingshot, ngeneukwenu and all young partisan and non-partisan activists of nairaland
Re: Lets Start The Discussion About A Possible Young Nigerian President by nabiz(m): 2:15pm On Sep 30, 2016
I love this man for president

3 Likes

Re: Lets Start The Discussion About A Possible Young Nigerian President by richidinho(m): 2:22pm On Sep 30, 2016
I stop reading the moment i saw u mentioned that religious bigot called seyun

1 Like

Re: Lets Start The Discussion About A Possible Young Nigerian President by socialmediaman: 2:39pm On Sep 30, 2016
richidinho:
I stop reading the moment i saw u mentioned that religious bigot called seyun

well, i urge you to read to the end, its a discussion and we need to talk about it for the better. We dont wanna be where we've always been since 1960
Re: Lets Start The Discussion About A Possible Young Nigerian President by Achuwa1(m): 2:48pm On Sep 30, 2016
Op how old are you ?
Re: Lets Start The Discussion About A Possible Young Nigerian President by Xapio: 3:00pm On Sep 30, 2016
Nice thread just that tribalism is even worse among young Nigerians (Case study of Nairaland and Facebook). No matter who becomes the president of Nigeria, young or old, it's gonna be the same story as long as he or she is ruling with our padded constitution. For things to get better,
1) we should first abolish or amend our current constitution to remove all kinds of immunity on public officers, bequeath infrastructural developments on the States.

2) FG will be saddled with the responsibilities of Foreign affairs policy, economic policies to attract foreign investors, managing the military and other federal security agencies like DSS, NIA, Custom, Immigration, etc.

3) Police and NSCDC should be controlled by each state. States should manage their resources and pay 20% monthly to FG. A strong and independent federal agency should be established to make sure that States doesn't hide what they earn monthly. Abolish two tenure government, once you are done with your four years, you pack your bag and go. angry ...

4) The remuneration of public officers should be reduced in such a way that they earn like other civil servants.

5) Abolish "state of origin" and adopt "state of residence" .. So many things to say, but I will stop here for now.

2 Likes

Re: Lets Start The Discussion About A Possible Young Nigerian President by Izonpikin: 3:03pm On Sep 30, 2016
Op the north and religion won't let it happen...

Nigeria needs to divide before such thoughts can be carried out...
Re: Lets Start The Discussion About A Possible Young Nigerian President by Izonpikin: 3:04pm On Sep 30, 2016
Xapio:
Nice thread just that tribalism is even worse among young Nigerians (Case study of Nairaland and Facebook). No matter who becomes the president of Nigeria, young or old, it's gonna be the same story as long as he or she is ruling with our padded constitution. For things to get better,
1) we should first abolish or amend our current constitution to remove all kinds of immunity on public officers, bequeath infrastructural developments on the States.

2) FG will be saddled with the responsibilities of Foreign affairs policy, economic policies to attract foreign investors, managing the military and other federal security agencies like DSS, NIA, Custom, Immigration, etc.

3) Police and NSCDC should be controlled by each state. States should manage their resources and pay 20% monthly to FG. A strong and independent federal agency should be established to make sure that States doesn't hide what they earn monthly. Abolish two tenure government, once you are done with your four years, you pack your bag and go. angry ...

4) The remuneration of public officers should be reduced in such a way that they earn like other civil servants.

5) Abolish "state of origin" and adopt "state of residence" .. So many things to say, but I will stop here for now.
with the north you can't achieve number 3 especially...you just can't. ..
Re: Lets Start The Discussion About A Possible Young Nigerian President by TonyeBarcanista(m): 5:54pm On Sep 30, 2016
My brother, I command your mov and I am so glad that we share common vision in rescuing our Nigeria from the grip of recycled politicians.

However, it is unfortunate that a third force though welcoming may be unsuccessful for now. Nigerians seem to prefer same parties day in day out.

Personally, I'll favor political movement made of young people across party line which will infiltrate political parties and seek for power or influence. The level of growth of the movement will determine whether or not it should collapse into a party.

Hope I made sense

2 Likes

Re: Lets Start The Discussion About A Possible Young Nigerian President by omohayek: 6:14pm On Sep 30, 2016
What good would it do to replace the old politicians with younger versions who are just as greedy, tribalistic and incompetent? Gowon was a young man when he took power, but it hardly did Nigeria much good, did it?

A focus on age is misplaced when the true problem is Nigerians' utter lack of interest in ideas and competence. If more of us cared about such things, we wouldn't have deluded defenders of either GEJ or Buhari - both of whom are utterly incompetent - and we wouldn't have the endless ridiculous talk about "zoning" the presidency and so forth.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lets Start The Discussion About A Possible Young Nigerian President by nonhuman(m): 6:36pm On Sep 30, 2016
NY name is Nonso Brown I am 32 please vote for me as Nigeria's president come 2019
Re: Lets Start The Discussion About A Possible Young Nigerian President by joseph1832(m): 6:39pm On Sep 30, 2016
socialmediaman:
It's time to start that discussion, guys. Seun you're invited to this discussion.

First of all, without boring you, let me make a case why I think we need young Nigerians in Politics.

Case 1: Young people are better to bring Nigeria together. Sectionalism and Nepotism is a thing associated with the older generation. They started it, they've failed in integrating Nigeria. They promoted religious and ethnic intolerance and the younger generation will continue in that line if we do not strip them of leadership now
Young people are as bad as old people in this regard. Take social media as your case study where you read the thoughts of people which of course, are mostly youths, I ask you, what do you read?

Case 2: Young Nigerians are leaders all over the world. What qualifications did Gowon, Ojukwu, Buhari, IBB etc have when they ruled Nigeria that our young people do not have today? We've seen young men and women who are leaders of Globally recognized Tech Companies today, for instance, Chinedu Echeruo who secured a $1 Billion Dollar deal with Apple. What about Seun for instance? If he can build a brand like nairaland, he can build a State or lead A nation. Some of our leaders can't even do these great things, yet we rest our hopes on them year in year out.
It all has to do with the system we life in. I recommend you read Iyabo Obasanjo's letter to her dad where she aptly said "Nigeria is a society where genius' bow before morons_".

Case 3: Nigeria's Presidency and Governorship positions need smart people. While you need experienced people around you as advisers, you need to be smart and wise to be president or Governor or Leader. Nigerian young people are smart, wise and have what it takes to be leaders.

Forget the 80% or so who may not be qualified, This discussion is about the 20% or so who can lead Nigeria in this 21st century.

Over to you Guys, let the discussion start. I'm willing to contribute to such a campaign fund which will sponsor young Nigerians to leadership positions. I know there are potentially Millions of other young Nigerian leaders who are heading big companies home and abroad who can contribute millions to this project and change this country for the better.
Before the youth can take over the helm of governance, firstly, these old people must go, they must not even be around to wield any influence and even be allowed to take part in government and decision making.

A total overhaul of the system we call Nigeria is what is needed and it has to start first with identifying "who are nigerian is, what we stand for and how we will make ourselves a people to be reckoned with".

In short, we need a youth with the vision of Thomas Sankara.
Re: Lets Start The Discussion About A Possible Young Nigerian President by socialmediaman: 7:15pm On Sep 30, 2016
Xapio:

Well regarding the issue of tribalism among young people, thats the 80% 20% i mentioned earlier, we cannot judge the competence of the 20% by the actions of the 80%. There are many young talented and qualified Nigerians who can do the job. what do these old people even understand when they stay in the same room with other world leaders? what can they sell about their country?

regarding the other points you mentioned, these policy implementations can only be pioneered and implemented by people who still value service and its reward, not people who only care about retirement money. These people can only do little for our generation.
Re: Lets Start The Discussion About A Possible Young Nigerian President by socialmediaman: 7:25pm On Sep 30, 2016
[quote author=joseph1832 post=49807526]
Young people are as bad as old people in this regard. Take social media as your case study where you read the thoughts of people which of course, are mostly youths, I ask you, what do you read?

the young people you mentioned are the ones i call the 80%, we have them everywhere, even among the older generation

It all has to do with the system we life in. I recommend you read Iyabo Obasanjo's letter to her dad where she aptly said "Nigeria is a society where genius' bow before morons_".

Yes i read that letter, she said that probably because smart young people should be the leaders and not the greedy old people who lead us. These leaders cannot even stand a debate involving impromptu questions about the country they want to govern

Before the youth can take over the helm of governance, firstly, these old people must go, they must not even be around to wield any influence and even be allowed to take part in government and decision making.

thats why you should join the discussion and make a case for the old people. Its impossible to eliminate old people from Nigeria, but we can strip leadership from them

A total overhaul of the system we call Nigeria is what is needed and it has to start first with identifying "who are nigerian is, what we stand for and how we will make ourselves a people to be reckoned with".

that overhaul will not happen if you keep waiting for others to do it for you. these people have lived their lives and they really do not care

In short, we need a youth with the vision of Thomas Sankara.

We have smart young leaders in our generation
Re: Lets Start The Discussion About A Possible Young Nigerian President by socialmediaman: 7:31pm On Sep 30, 2016
nonhuman:
NY name is Nonso Brown I am 32 please vote for me as Nigeria's president come 2019

Well you have to face millions of nigerians to answer questions about what makes you the most qualified, what you have achieved in your personal life, what and what you think is wrong with nigeria and what you feel you can do to change it, why you think your plan will work (where else has it worked etc). You'll be facing unprepared questions to determine your level of knowledge of your country and test your level of wisdom and preparedness.

1 Like

Re: Lets Start The Discussion About A Possible Young Nigerian President by socialmediaman: 7:51pm On Sep 30, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
My brother, I command your mov and I am so glad that we share common vision in rescuing our Nigeria from the grip of recycled politicians.

However, it is unfortunate that a third force though welcoming may be unsuccessful for now. Nigerians seem to prefer same parties day in day out.

Personally, I'll favor political movement made of young people across party line which will infiltrate political parties and seek for power or influence. The level of growth of the movement will determine whether or not it should collapse into a party.

Hope I made sense

You made sense, we need that political movement right now, Nigerian youths have been ignored too much when in fact they can do this job better. I'll try to set up something when i get a chance and get in touch with you. Young people in Nigeria have what it takes
Re: Lets Start The Discussion About A Possible Young Nigerian President by id911(m): 9:45pm On Sep 30, 2016
socialmediaman:

Op, frankly speaking and sadly though, this country seems irredeemable. Unfortunately most of these so-called youths are worst when it comes to those things you mentioned above. Just take a proper look at Nairaland for instance albeit on a micro scale, if you have an eagle eye you'll notice how the owner and MODS sadly lean towards a particular direction instead of neutrality. This is very bad for our unity, peace, prosperity, growth and development.

For me i vote personality and ideology not party or the so-called youth. The last time i ever voted was in 2OO3 when i voted for Funso Williams and Chief Gani Fawehinmi even when i knew Gani won't win because the youths don't like those who realy love them.

Nigeria is a country blessed with highly brilliant minds recognised around the world but i'm always speechless seeing youths campaign for intellectually incapacitated politicians simply because of religion, tribe and party affiliations. Permit me to say that most Nigerian youths are timid, docile and extremely foolish
Re: Lets Start The Discussion About A Possible Young Nigerian President by joseph1832(m): 10:28pm On Sep 30, 2016
socialmediaman
I believe we as a people have misplaced priorities, and paramount among that priority is not knowing how things affect us.

Never forget this set of youth you so want to take over the helm of government don't even know what they want. I believe you're seen firsthand the calibre of comments you read here, it's usually guided by tribal or religious sentiment. Now a youth who can't even think without attaching this sentiment to his or her comment or opinion(s) can't lead.

The smart people are drowned by the not so smart people, and sometimes when the smart the smart people try to be heard, the not so smart people take over, usually resorting to bullying and intimidating.

I hope you know most of the election violence and disturbances you read and hear about is done by this not so smart people?

Yes I know it's impossible to eliminate old people, what I meant is keeping them and their archaic ideas indoors. Probably in retirement homes and so...

Like I said above, this country is riddled with tribal and religious sentiment, it's hard for you to see a person who even reason logically, without attaching tribal or religious sentiment to their reasoning.

Now you tell me, how can you even reason with a man who believes nothing good can and will never come out from another man, just because that man doesn't come from the same tribe or practice the same religion with him.

Yes we have smart, intelligent and brilliant people in Nigeria, but heck bro, the system is so corrupt and messed up that it's very fabric hates any thing that is intelligent, brilliant and smart. This is why the country is a country where corruption is a virtue and honesty is a vice.

Bro, before Nigeria can ever be great, we need to do away with religion, tribal and baseless sentiment, for all this is the bane of our society.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Hon. Jibrin Reveals More Shocking Details Of Corruption In House (part 2) / 16 Point Demand Made By South South Leader In Meeting With President Buhari / We Serving God, Yet Sufferness Deepens In Nigeria - Pastor Revelation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.