Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,448 members, 7,812,375 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:24 PM

Nigeria Wins Un Security Council Seat - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Wins Un Security Council Seat (3523 Views)

Nigeria Wins Bid To Manage Belarus’s Satellite For 15 Years / Joy Ogwu Assumes UN Security Council Presidency Today / Victor Eni Won Borough Council Seat, UK Election 2015(pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Wins Un Security Council Seat by bracelet: 8:27am On Oct 16, 2009
The United Nations General Assembly, on Thursday, in New York, elected Nigeria, Gabon, Bosnia and Herzegovia, Brazil and Lebanon to the non-permanent seats on the UN Security Council for 2010-2011 term.

The UN correspondent of the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reported that Nigeria secured 186 votes from the 192-member assembly, the highest votes cast among the five contestants.

Gabon had 184, Bosnia and Herzegovina 183, Brazil 182, while Lebanon received 180 votes. NAN, however, reported that the five countries ran unopposed in their respective regions.

This marked the first time since 2004, that a UN Security Council election was conducted with no opponent against each of the regional contestants. Nigeria and Gabon were endorsed as candidates by the African group and would replace Burkina Faso and Libya on the council, starting from January 1, 2010.

Brazil will succeed Costa Rica in the Latin American and Caribbean category. In Eastern Europe, Bosnia and Herzegovina will replace Croatia, while Lebanon, which won regional endorsement from the Asian group, is to succeed Viet-Nam.

The council elections were conducted by secret ballot in the UN General Assembly, and each of the candidates requires a two-thirds majority of ballots of members present and voting to secure the security council seat.

The five new members will join Austria, Japan, Mexico, Turkey and Uganda, whose terms on the 15-member body end on Dec. 31, 2010.

VICTORY @LAST

http://www.tribune.com.ng/16102009/news/news22.html
Re: Nigeria Wins Un Security Council Seat by debetmx(m): 8:31am On Oct 16, 2009
Positive news about Nigeria. Something to cheer about
Re: Nigeria Wins Un Security Council Seat by Marymos: 8:34am On Oct 16, 2009
What are we going to benefit from this?
Re: Nigeria Wins Un Security Council Seat by nex(m): 8:44am On Oct 16, 2009
And they say that Yar'Adua was stupid for not attending the last UN General Session or whatever.

A temporary seat in useless to us. Nigeria, Brazil, India, Australia and Saudi Arabia are overdue for permanent seats on the UN security council. Their regions have little or no representation.

Imagine the imbalance with Europe having about 4 seats while Africa has none, Asia and America have 1 each, the Middle East has none.
Re: Nigeria Wins Un Security Council Seat by citizenY(m): 9:23am On Oct 16, 2009

This marked the first time since 2004, that a UN Security Council election was conducted with no opponent against each of the regional contestants. Nigeria and Gabon were endorsed as candidates by the African group and would replace Burkina Faso and Libya on the council, starting from January 1, 2010

Consensus? Abi PDP dey for African Union? grin grin grin grin grin grin cool cool cool cool cool cool cool
Re: Nigeria Wins Un Security Council Seat by sandee575(f): 11:49am On Oct 16, 2009
positive but irrelevant news to a hapless Nigerian.
Re: Nigeria Wins Un Security Council Seat by azeeza(f): 11:55am On Oct 16, 2009
yar adua will be happy about it,but who will that help 2 reduce poverty and injustice melted on it citizens of 9jarian sad
Re: Nigeria Wins Un Security Council Seat by chosen04(f): 11:57am On Oct 16, 2009
Nigeria only won cos there was no 'REAL' elections as all the regional nominees were returned unopposed.
Re: Nigeria Wins Un Security Council Seat by nich(m): 11:59am On Oct 16, 2009
  dont mind my being naive, but how does this affect our economy or the great 'vision 2020' i dont know about?  undecided   lipsrsealed
Re: Nigeria Wins Un Security Council Seat by Homonide: 12:05pm On Oct 16, 2009
Can some1(probably the poster) please enlighten me on how this would affect the common man positively? even the permanent seat Nigeria has

been fighting for some time,
Re: Nigeria Wins Un Security Council Seat by ThinkRait: 12:11pm On Oct 16, 2009
chosen04:

Nigeria only won cos there was no 'REAL' elections as all the regional nominees were returned unopposed.

I've got some doubts about this statement.
Re: Nigeria Wins Un Security Council Seat by OmoAlex: 12:12pm On Oct 16, 2009
Finally, Yaradua's administration can say the've acheived something.

well this is good cos now we dont have to withdraw our troops from sudan anymore and hundreds of lives will not be lost cos our insecure leadership is seeking attention
Re: Nigeria Wins Un Security Council Seat by toideve(m): 12:14pm On Oct 16, 2009
i heard the news too, i really don't know what it means for nigeria can anyone deliver me from my ignorance?
Re: Nigeria Wins Un Security Council Seat by ProAnti: 12:17pm On Oct 16, 2009
chosen04:

I think u r correct.

I just hope I can win the heart of the person with the beautiful face I saw in CHOSEN04's profile. wink
But seriously, YOU ARE PRETTY!
Re: Nigeria Wins Un Security Council Seat by Nezed(f): 12:25pm On Oct 16, 2009
Might not mean much, but at least we get to rub shoulders with the BIG BOYS (Permanent members) and add 'non-parmenanet Member, UN Security council' to our name even if its for a year!
Re: Nigeria Wins Un Security Council Seat by desthan(m): 12:43pm On Oct 16, 2009
Nezed:

Might not mean much, but at least we get to rub shoulders with the BIG BOYS (Permanent members) and add 'non-parmenanet Member, UN Security council' to our name even if its for a year!

whats the point when you ain't got nattin undecided
Re: Nigeria Wins Un Security Council Seat by Nobody: 12:50pm On Oct 16, 2009
Will this bring changes to our democracy,
Re: Nigeria Wins Un Security Council Seat by madamL(f): 12:58pm On Oct 16, 2009
Nonsense! I thought we got a permanent seat. This one is useless. It is the turn by turn type of seat; not any deal at all. It is not deserving of front pages.
Re: Nigeria Wins Un Security Council Seat by hajifaty: 1:10pm On Oct 16, 2009
What are we going to gain from the non permanent seat? Westerners are not doing things in the right way. India which is the largest democracy in the world do not have permanent seat on the UN SC but nations like russia and China do have permanent seat. This is really unfair to Africa as a whole and we deserve a permanent seat not temporary seats.
Re: Nigeria Wins Un Security Council Seat by otukpo(f): 1:25pm On Oct 16, 2009
Nigerians and their cynicism.
Re: Nigeria Wins Un Security Council Seat by Nobody: 2:15pm On Oct 16, 2009
I dont blame Yar'Adua for not attending! a turn-by-turn seat!!!
Re: Nigeria Wins Un Security Council Seat by Nobody: 2:29pm On Oct 16, 2009
otukpo:

Nigerians and their cynicism.

tell us the benefit to nigeria of this seat.its more or less a toothless,'siddon look' seat.

the permanent members will still call the shots
Re: Nigeria Wins Un Security Council Seat by Nezan(m): 2:41pm On Oct 16, 2009
Not too bad sha. One of the few good things happening to 9ja.
Re: Nigeria Wins Un Security Council Seat by chosen04(f): 2:45pm On Oct 16, 2009
ThinkRait:

I've got some doubts about this statement.

@ThinkRait
U are free to investigate and i recommend u read the post all over again or 2day's dailies

Pro Anti

link=topic=338383.msg4744495#msg4744495 date=1255691837:

I think u r correct.

I just hope I can win the heart of the person with the beautiful face I saw in CHOSEN04's profile. wink
But seriously, YOU ARE PRETTY!

@Anti-Pro/Pro Anti

Thanks. U can have me if only u try.
[
Re: Nigeria Wins Un Security Council Seat by xyuche: 2:52pm On Oct 16, 2009
its an opportunity for Nigeria to more proactive in international policies/politics
Re: Nigeria Wins Un Security Council Seat by xyuche: 2:54pm On Oct 16, 2009
its an opportunity for Nigeria to be more proactive in international policies / politics
Re: Nigeria Wins Un Security Council Seat by chosen04(f): 2:56pm On Oct 16, 2009
madam L:

Nonsense! I thought we got a permanent seat. This one is useless. It is the turn by turn type of seat; not any deal at all. It is not deserving of front pages.

@Madam L.

Nigeria can never win UN permanent seat cos its is excusively reserved for the industralized big countries of the world. The odd is that Permanent seat member countries cannot never produce the UN secretary General.

It think Nigeria should try and produce the UN secretary General when nxt its African turn rather than celebrating Non permnent seat "2yrs rotational" victory. The bad news is that the time will be from 2030. The good is that HOPE DEY
Re: Nigeria Wins Un Security Council Seat by Nobody: 4:12pm On Oct 16, 2009
[size=24pt]So? How does that affect the price of fish?[/size]
Re: Nigeria Wins Un Security Council Seat by july123(m): 4:22pm On Oct 16, 2009
chosen04 is not a female.
Re: Nigeria Wins Un Security Council Seat by nethacker(m): 4:44pm On Oct 16, 2009
Nonsense!!! angry
Re: Nigeria Wins Un Security Council Seat by ProAnti: 5:16pm On Oct 16, 2009
Re: Nigeria Wins Un Security Council Seat by Utaroz(m): 5:52pm On Oct 16, 2009
This is as good opportunity for the nation as the leaders chose to exploit it.

(1) (2) (Reply)

. / Soludo With APGA Membership Card (picture) / Why ”they” Want Goodluck To Leave By Any Means Necessary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.