Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,408 members, 7,819,463 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:44 PM

Do You Obey Common Traffic Laws? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Do You Obey Common Traffic Laws? (2498 Views)

Do You Obey Traffic Lights At Night? / Question On Nigerian Gun Laws / Good Beaches in Nigeria & Laws Concerning Alcohol? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Obey Common Traffic Laws? by alabiyemmy(m): 7:44pm On Dec 24, 2006
Since every topic posted here always has the tendency for contributors to put blame on the government, I thought about putting this one up, lets see what people will say, maybe blame the government or so? The other day, someone said he needs a means of making his manhood bigger and someone actually blame the government for being responsible for his manhood to be small. huh?

Now to the topic, do you as a Nigerian always obey traffic rules, common traffic rules like not driving on the fast lane when you are not driving fast, giving way to a faster car when you are on the fast lane, giving way to an uncoming vehicle at a round about, stopping at a zebra crossing for pedestrians to pass? Driving within the speed limit? and many more.

Most of us live outside Nigeria and have seen how peaceful and neat driving is, how everyone obeys simple traffic rules, which makes travelling and driving easier, but in Nigerian cities and roads, it is not the same.

Do you or will you as a person obey traffic rules or find it necessary to obey traffic rules.?
Re: Do You Obey Common Traffic Laws? by edygirl(f): 8:07pm On Dec 24, 2006
No they don't. They only like to blame.
Re: Do You Obey Common Traffic Laws? by LoverBwoy(m): 8:57pm On Dec 24, 2006
Maybe if the rules are made public to the citizens they can then be asked if the obey it or not

to be honest i have only seens zebra crossing in some places, what is the speed limit on the highway? I have never seen a sign stating what the speed limit is
oh yea ive never heard of someone arrested for going over the speed limit

Most of us live outside Nigeria and have seen how peaceful and neat driving is, how everyone obeys simple traffic rules, which makes travelling and driving easier, but in Nigerian cities and roads, it is not the same.

Outside nigeria there are loads of signs/warnings every few seconds that reminds you where to turn where no to turn, what the current speed limits are, where to stop and blah blah blah so many info to assist driving and pedestarains

Most road contracts in Nigeria don't include road markings when the roads are constructed that's it they forget to put road markings and other driving aids
Re: Do You Obey Common Traffic Laws? by alabiyemmy(m): 9:28pm On Dec 24, 2006
@ LOVERBWoy

You are right. In most cases, I think the traffic officials deliberately remove the road signs so that someone will flout the rule and then get arrested so that money can be taken off them. The other day in Lagos, the LASTMA guy was directing traffic and I asked him if  I could make a turn where he was, he kind of said yes, and I did, and at that moment I did the trun, I just saw a legion of LASTMA men swoop on me as if I just killed someone. The point is this, most times, the traffic officials don't want you to see the road signs, but still road signs or no road signs, some people just blatantly will not obey road signs. Example, driving against traffic doesnt require a road sign, it simply requires common sense.

I also noticed so many new road markings and traffic lights in Lagos resently, good signal, but most times no light?
Re: Do You Obey Common Traffic Laws? by LoverBwoy(m): 9:35pm On Dec 24, 2006
he he i heard of those LASTma people, so how much did you drop?

Example, driving against traffic doesnt require a road sign, it simply requires common sense.
very few people drive against traffic it's not like an everyday thing, you will notice people dont do it becuase they want to but because they have to
Re: Do You Obey Common Traffic Laws? by alabiyemmy(m): 9:52pm On Dec 24, 2006
Drop? Me? By the time I abandoned the car there - it took no time for them to appeal to me to come take my car and go. What about the danfo drivers?
Re: Do You Obey Common Traffic Laws? by ThoniaSlim(f): 10:04pm On Dec 27, 2006
emmm tongue
Re: Do You Obey Common Traffic Laws? by LoverBwoy(m): 10:29pm On Dec 27, 2006
alabiyemmy:

Drop? Me? By the time I abandoned the car there - it took no time for them to appeal to me to come take my car and go. What about the danfo drivers?

Good job you didnt drop anything for the boys
I dont know too much about danfos in nigeria man,
If there were traffic laws you wouldnt have to ask the police if you can make turn wink
Re: Do You Obey Common Traffic Laws? by alabiyemmy(m): 12:38am On Dec 28, 2006
I know, I was just double checking with the guy - but alas, he had something else in mind.

But still - do you or will you obey traffic rules?
Re: Do You Obey Common Traffic Laws? by LoverBwoy(m): 12:42am On Dec 28, 2006
Yes obviously- It's safer!
Re: Do You Obey Common Traffic Laws? by poske(m): 2:47am On Jan 23, 2007
Let me add something unique, in Nigeria we think about "Life before safety". We should think about "safety before we think of life"

Traffic obedience is a result of safety thinking first. Life thinking is a result of not thinking about what i am doing now but what i should be doing.

Well you heard it here first, establish that rule and you will all be fine and safe. Nigerian roads should be privatised to bring up the standards that is the Only way forward.

I can advise the Govt on road privatisation if they are interested. cool

(1) (Reply)

Need True Advice And Sincere Mature Advice On North Cyprus Universities / Nigerians, What Is It Like In Switzerland? / I Want To Go Back To UK

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.