Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,536 members, 7,812,666 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:10 PM

Eight States In Nigeria Will Soon Be Wiped Off By Flood - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Eight States In Nigeria Will Soon Be Wiped Off By Flood (5140 Views)

Obiano Visits Houses Destroyed By Flood In The Rain (Photos) / Nkpor Express Way Anambra State About To Be Washed By Flood Pics / Jonathan Carrying A 4-Day-Old Baby Delivered By Flood Victim (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Eight States In Nigeria Will Soon Be Wiped Off By Flood by SeanT21(f): 4:04pm On Oct 19, 2009
rozu4luv:

right now am in kogi but i don't think i will be dere in five yrs time

what if it happens a couple of years from now?? 5 years may be too long.
Re: Eight States In Nigeria Will Soon Be Wiped Off By Flood by Arkison: 4:16pm On Oct 19, 2009
People die, no matter what happened. If you pray, build tsunami warning systems,

Disaster always happen and they don't give a warning.

Any warning of impending disaster is just scientific fantasy

5 years is even too short to start building another dam on the Benue River.

Where will the gov't take 40 million people to?

Let nature take care of itself.

The shear arrongancy of human that they can control nature make me sick.

Earthquakes, floods, famine, droughts, forest fires, hurricanes, volcanoes, epidemics are all nature's way of maitaining the balance. The moment mankind started inventing stuff to reduce the death of human population that is the day our population started exploding. At the begining of 1900, it is estimated there exists just about a 1 billion people on earth. But within hundred years it is now 7 billion. If we keep manufacturing things and producing vaccines and medicine trying to keep people longer and producing more babies then we are just postponing the calamity day.
Re: Eight States In Nigeria Will Soon Be Wiped Off By Flood by kosovo(m): 4:23pm On Oct 19, 2009
like i have always said,
i'd wish aldof hitler was still alive, Africa would just have been a FARMLAND!

Southafrica> maze
Kenya> cows
Ghana> oilpalm
then Nigeria> PIGS, etc
Re: Eight States In Nigeria Will Soon Be Wiped Off By Flood by pete(m): 4:32pm On Oct 19, 2009
It's amazing, and I'm very moved by this. I'm just hoping and praying that the Nigerian government does something and in a timely manner. This is a perfect example on things we need to spend our money on. I think with the right amount and common sense, we'll get a new dam in two years.

from a radical perspective, its time to call on all those who had looted the country to come help her now. I'm sure that, some of you would agree with me that, there are 100 Nigerians who can cough out a Billion Naira each. they are there, ex governors, ex. ministers etc. Let them set the pace. I'm sure we do not need Bill Gate to come to the rescue, we have our Otedolas and Dangotes.

Let me throw a caveat here, this is just my simple take. I had seen that there are a few high school folks behind computers here. Trust me, not ready to trade polemics with anybody. Please say what you think and move on. leave the other guy to his opinion. You have an moral right to defer, but you do not have any such ethical rights to be disrespectful.
Re: Eight States In Nigeria Will Soon Be Wiped Off By Flood by honeric01(m): 4:37pm On Oct 19, 2009
Arkison:

People die, no matter what happened. If you pray, build tsunami warning systems,

Disaster always happen and they don't give a warning.

Any warning of impending disaster is just scientific fantasy

5 years is even too short to start building another dam on the Benue River.

Where will the gov't take 40 million people to?

Let nature take care of itself.

The shear arrongancy of human that they can control nature make me sick.

Earthquakes, floods, famine, droughts, forest fires, hurricanes, volcanoes, epidemics are all nature's way of maitaining the balance. The moment mankind started inventing stuff to reduce the death of human population that is the day our population started exploding. At the begining of 1900, it is estimated there exists just about a 1 billion people on earth. But within hundred years it is now 7 billion. If we keep manufacturing things and producing vaccines and medicine trying to keep people longer and producing more babies then we are just postponing the calamity day.

so 40 million people should perish in Nigeria? are Nigerians the people prolonging lifespan? they said we no dey even grow reach 50, so why should we wey no dey reach 50 lose plenty people like that?
Re: Eight States In Nigeria Will Soon Be Wiped Off By Flood by Outstrip(f): 5:31pm On Oct 19, 2009
Is it not this same lake/volcano that wiped out thousands of people in the 90s. This is scary because saying it will affect these states only can only be a joke. It will affect the whole nation. I really just want to cry. Why does Nigeria always have to look like a failure. How can there be something this serious and there is no plan in place to do anything
Re: Eight States In Nigeria Will Soon Be Wiped Off By Flood by bawomolo(m): 5:32pm On Oct 19, 2009
Arkison:

this is a sad way of thinking. I understand population control is important but no wants to die by flooding or asphyxiation.

Outstrip:

Is it not this same lake/volcano that wiped out thousands of people in the 90s. This is scary because saying it will affect these states only can only be a joke. It will affect the whole nation. I really just want to cry. Why does Nigeria always have to look like a failure. How can there be something this serious and there is no plan in place to do anything

cameroun is doing something about it but they are just as corrupt and inept as nigeria
Re: Eight States In Nigeria Will Soon Be Wiped Off By Flood by goggs(m): 5:39pm On Oct 19, 2009
i dont think that report is 100 percent accurate. dont get me wrong lake nyos exists, it did kill people in the 80's. i have been following the story on the net and even on national geographic. 1st the lake is as a result of water in a volcanic caldera not exactly a 'dam' in the true sense. itss being fed underground by volcanic gasses. most danger is from the cabon monoxide that will be release evenn b.y the caldera wall falling into the lake stirring the water. more people are likely to die from that as the gas is very dense and will hug the ground for miles. if the wall collapses totally more will die. if the lake contains 5million liters its just 5,000 m2. thats not much. its equivillent to a large city water works (adiyan water works may be) definitely not enough to submerge all these states mentioned and to think it will submmerge Markurdi forever!!? that incredulous! dunno kno it seems someoone wants to stampede the government into releasing huge sums for , well u can guess. Lake Nyoos is a threat but not t o this level. take a look at thhe lake t hrough google earth or search wikipedia. if it were that much of a threat plenty world scientist would have decended here making once in a life time study. if its that bad how come the camerounians are silient. shei the lake is in their country. i hope it will not be billions galore. seroiusly though it is dangerous for many nigerians living near the lake around taraba, benue, and cross river[color=][/color]
Re: Eight States In Nigeria Will Soon Be Wiped Off By Flood by honeric01(m): 5:52pm On Oct 19, 2009
how big is this lake self?
Re: Eight States In Nigeria Will Soon Be Wiped Off By Flood by pete(m): 5:53pm On Oct 19, 2009
@honiri01, I saw that post that you quoted and I wasn't sure what to think of that argument. I must say that, it has some merit. The earth has a way of taking care of itself. I remember my environmental law class many years ago. The prof. painted a very gloomy picture, but today, it's obvious that, some of the argument for doomsday no longer stand.
  I do not think,that it's the plan of God to wipe out poor Nigerians. I also think that, we have a way or mitigating the harshness of nature. Guess that's why we build houses with roofs, hence we would just allow the sun to shine on us and the rain to wet us later. So, we could very well control the waves, storms and volcs. We'll not stop them from happening, but we could stop them from impacting us adversely.
Re: Eight States In Nigeria Will Soon Be Wiped Off By Flood by honeric01(m): 5:58pm On Oct 19, 2009
pete:

@honiri01, I saw that post that you quoted and I wasn't sure what to think of that argument. I must say that, it has some merit. The earth has a way of taking care of itself. I remember my environmental law class many years ago. The prof. painted a very gloomy picture, but today, it's obvious that, some of the argument for doomsday no longer stand.
  I do not think,that it's the plan of God to wipe out poor Nigerians. I also think that, we have a way or mitigating the harshness of nature. Guess that's why we build houses with roofs, hence we would just allow the sun to shine on us and the rain to wet us later. So, we could very well control the waves, storms and volcs. We'll not stop them from happening, but we could stop them from impacting us adversely.

well, if we need to control the population of the world, let them start with china, India, Brazil, Indonesia, USA e.t.c before Nigeria
Re: Eight States In Nigeria Will Soon Be Wiped Off By Flood by radiovibe: 6:17pm On Oct 19, 2009
yeye government. They would not have a problem debating, sponsoring and paying for a beyonce concert.
Re: Eight States In Nigeria Will Soon Be Wiped Off By Flood by pete(m): 6:39pm On Oct 19, 2009
@Radiovibe, when you think of the way our government places it's priorities, you'll weep. I was at a traditional seminar in Chicago and we had senators and house of rep members from Nigeria. You got to see what they were asking for. While the US members were talking about development, these miscrants wanted to go see Micheal Jackson's birthplace, some wanted to find white prostitutes and others wanted to go shopping. I was like what a shame, these are the same people we're looking up to, to change the state's present predicaments.
One of them actually told me how big his house is and how many guards he is got and how he got dogs from Germany. Though he is well respected and I first heard of him when I was in primary 6, I looked at him and said, "Uncle I'm afraid of leaders like the ones we currently have" he later told the Union-chicago branch- that I was very rude to elders. And, that one looking to get some loots came to me preaching. I walked away from him. I had 45mins to present a paper, they edited it and cut my time to 10mins. Saying these so you can imagine where we're going with out leaders. My fear is, if me and you will do any better should we get there. I say this because, I know that, Nigerian culture celebrates wealth regardless of how its acquired. Also, we have the national cake mentality.
Re: Eight States In Nigeria Will Soon Be Wiped Off By Flood by citizenY(m): 7:11pm On Oct 19, 2009
How many legislators know about Lake Nyos?
Re: Eight States In Nigeria Will Soon Be Wiped Off By Flood by mrofficial(m): 7:18pm On Oct 19, 2009
honeric01:

so 40 million people should perish in Nigeria? are Nigerians the people prolonging lifespan? they said we no dey even grow reach 50, so why should we wey no dey reach 50 lose plenty people like that?

Mr man, you don't seem to get it.

You too can imagine, 40million people naija alone. mhen, why we dey born self?

Anyhow, do things like this happened 2000 years back?

They lived long, but now it seems just like the earth is over populated.

God is not sleeping, I don't know what to say.

and now different diseases out there, fcking epidemics.
Re: Eight States In Nigeria Will Soon Be Wiped Off By Flood by Nobody: 7:36pm On Oct 19, 2009
Inter-esting. . .
Re: Eight States In Nigeria Will Soon Be Wiped Off By Flood by honeric01(m): 7:55pm On Oct 19, 2009
mr.official:

Mr man, you don't seem to get it.

You too can imagine, 40million people naija alone. mhen, why we dey born self?

Anyhow, do things like this happened 2000 years back?

They lived long, but now it seems just like the earth is over populated.

God is not sleeping, I don't know what to say.

and now different diseases out there, fcking epidemics.

mr man, it's like you do not know anything, Nigeria is just like America, a country with a great number of diversified people, every states in Nigeria's got more than 5 languages and ethnic groups, so why do you want Nigerian population reduced?
Re: Eight States In Nigeria Will Soon Be Wiped Off By Flood by SeanT21(f): 8:06pm On Oct 19, 2009
goggs:

i dont think that report is 100 percent accurate. dont get me wrong lake nyos exists, it did kill people in the 80's. i have been following the story on the net and even on national geographic. 1st the lake is as a result of water in a volcanic caldera not exactly a 'dam' in the true sense. itss being fed underground by volcanic gasses. most danger is from the cabon monoxide that will be release evenn b.y the caldera wall falling into the lake stirring the water. more people are likely to die from that as the gas is very dense and will hug the ground for miles. if the wall collapses totally more will die. if the lake contains 5million liters its just 5,000 m2. thats not much. its equivillent to a large city water works (adiyan water works may be) definitely not enough to submerge all these states mentioned and to think it will submmerge Markurdi forever!!? that incredulous! dunno kno it seems someoone wants to stampede the government into releasing huge sums for , well u can guess. Lake Nyoos is a threat but not t o this level. take a look at thhe lake t hrough google earth or search wikipedia. if it were that much of a threat plenty world scientist would have decended here making once in a life time study. if[b] its that bad how come the camerounians are silient. shei the lake is in their country.[/b] i hope it will not be billions galore. seroiusly though it is dangerous for many nigerians living near the lake around taraba, benue, and cross river[color=][/color]

They are doing something about it. Its up to your government to start.

http://ochaonline.un.org/OchaLinkClick.aspx?link=ocha&DocId=1003780
Re: Eight States In Nigeria Will Soon Be Wiped Off By Flood by nex(m): 8:25pm On Oct 19, 2009
I abandoned Chemistry as a course because of this Lake Nyos incident that happened in the '80s and the way most chemistry textbooks just ridiculously explained it away. At that point in time, I didn't know what really happened in Lake Nyos, all I knew that the story of the lake overturning to release Carbon Dioxide was cooked up.

There was a time when South Africa and Israel developed Nuclear Weapons. Where do you all think those weapons were tested? You think Israel has untested Nuclear Warheads?

The President of Cameroun knows the deal he struck with the governments of Israel and RSA in 1986 to test Thermonuclear Weapons in the lakes around that area. Nigeria should not be made to pay for the long term effects of their scheming. You people should stop making Nigeria look bad ALL THE TIME.

What the Federal Government should do is issue a very strong warning to the government of Cameroun informing them that since it was a military exercise that led to this whole dilemma, if the government of Cameroun and their cohorts do not handle this matter, if the dam gives way and kills Nigerians, it will be seen as a military attack 23 years in the making, which will attract full military retaliation.

The way you guys are shouting at the Nigerian Government rather than the Camerounian Government is really amazing to me. It is like citizens of the USA insulting their government because if Malaria is not eradicated from Africa, it could later spread to the USA and kill lots of people. Should the USA shoulder this responsibility or they should prevail on our Government to take care of its business.

Please, let's support our government in issuing a strong worded statement to the Camerounian President and we should also back our government in any action it takes against Cameroun in defence of our citizens.

They know what they did there 23 years ago, we shouldn't pay billions for it.
Re: Eight States In Nigeria Will Soon Be Wiped Off By Flood by honeric01(m): 8:33pm On Oct 19, 2009
nex:

I abandoned Chemistry as a course because of this Lake Nyos incident that happened in the '80s and the way most chemistry textbooks just ridiculously explained it away. At that point in time, I didn't know what really happened in Lake Nyos, all I knew that the story of the lake overturning to release Carbon Dioxide was cooked up.

There was a time when South Africa and Israel developed Nuclear Weapons. Where do you all think those weapons were tested? You think Israel has untested Nuclear Warheads?

The President of Cameroun knows the deal he struck with the governments of Israel and RSA in 1986 to test Thermonuclear Weapons in the lakes around that area. Nigeria should not be made to pay for the long term effects of their scheming. You people should stop making Nigeria look bad ALL THE TIME.

What the Federal Government should do is issue a very strong warning to the government of Cameroun informing them that since it was a military exercise that led to this whole dilemma, if the government of Cameroun and their cohorts do not handle this matter, if the dam gives way and kills Nigerians, it will be seen as a military attack 23 years in the making, which will attract full military retaliation.

The way you guys are shouting at the Nigerian Government rather than the Camerounian Government is really amazing to me. It is like citizens of the USA insulting their government because if Malaria is not eradicated from Africa, it could later spread to the USA and kill lots of people. Should the USA shoulder this responsibility or they should prevail on our Government to take care of its business.

Please, let's support our government in issuing a strong worded statement to the Camerounian President and we should also back our government in any action it takes against Cameroun in defence of our citizens.

They know what they did there 23 years ago, we shouldn't pay billions for it.

Is this really the true story surrounding the lake?
Re: Eight States In Nigeria Will Soon Be Wiped Off By Flood by Nobody: 8:45pm On Oct 19, 2009
We need Soludo Soludonization to save the situation,
Re: Eight States In Nigeria Will Soon Be Wiped Off By Flood by mimionye(m): 9:24pm On Oct 19, 2009
this is a serious issue,

pls what did the senate conclude about the situation?

pls can someone help us shout loud over the issue and forget about the issue of increasing the fuel price.

this is an area where we have to show the giant of Africa (if any)

lets continue to pray for God to save us,Amen.
Re: Eight States In Nigeria Will Soon Be Wiped Off By Flood by nex(m): 9:36pm On Oct 19, 2009
In 1984 something happened in Lake Monoun in Cameroun and 37 people died. In 1986, Lake Nyos killed 1700 people. The symptoms of their deaths were no different from those of the victims of Hiroshima. They threw up, scratched their skins and were convulsion. Besides there was a loud bang and a bright flash that morning.

Even though this event was not announced by the Camerounian Government, the Israeli Prime Minister arrived in Cameroun with a team of scientists who proceeded to research the results of the event.

High concentration of CO2 will not make you scratch your skin off.
Re: Eight States In Nigeria Will Soon Be Wiped Off By Flood by Outstrip(f): 9:43pm On Oct 19, 2009
This sounds scary. Someone else had mentioned that other countries had used the area for scientific research of some kind. Could this be true. I shudder to think that the camerounian government had a hand in this. It still does not matter though. The nigerian government still has to protect Nigerians not wait until something happens and then go to war
Re: Eight States In Nigeria Will Soon Be Wiped Off By Flood by oge4real(f): 10:11pm On Oct 19, 2009
This is serious! If this happens eventually, it will be the first major natural disaster that will be experienced by our dear country. 5yrs is a very short time to do something tangible about this, considering the fact that our politicians will now double effort in mass evacuation of their friends and loved ones, leaving the poor masses here to bear the brunt.
The worst part of it is that we even have an almost non-existent emergency rescue/response programme in this country.That means when calamity stricks, it will take as many lives as it can without any challenge from us.
This calls for serious prayers (that is all an average citizen can do).
Re: Eight States In Nigeria Will Soon Be Wiped Off By Flood by naijachic1(f): 10:30pm On Oct 19, 2009
well, the government has known about it for years now and they refused to do anything about it. i know this for a fact becos i used to work in the federal ministry of agriculture and water resources and when the issue came up, the government did the initial gragra of "well, yes we know", that kinda thing. just pray u or ur family dont live that region becos as usual, the government has a laikadaisical attitude to it as to every thing else on their lists apart from their pockets!
Re: Eight States In Nigeria Will Soon Be Wiped Off By Flood by Nobody: 12:12am On Oct 20, 2009
hmmm

i never heard this other version.

very few African countries have the kind of freedom of expression found in Nigeria anyway- where everything that goes on in the innermost rooms of govt is open for public scrutiny the next day. and where people can rain insults and curses on the country and its leaders without fear of retribution.

Na wa oh- lord have mercy on the region.
Re: Eight States In Nigeria Will Soon Be Wiped Off By Flood by bawomolo(m): 12:16am On Oct 20, 2009
here we go with the conspiracy theories
Re: Eight States In Nigeria Will Soon Be Wiped Off By Flood by Shooga27: 12:45am On Oct 20, 2009
woW this sounds scary, i hope dwellers in this region will reluctantly evacuate;Plz dn;t wait for the Goverment;even americans suffered in d hand of seasonal natural disaster oh GOD forgive us his d only one that can change the music;we shall hear no evil in Jesus name!
God bless Nigeria,Cameroun and the world AMEN.
Re: Eight States In Nigeria Will Soon Be Wiped Off By Flood by 3kay945(m): 3:01am On Oct 20, 2009
dont worry guys, GOD ve a way of protecting HIS loves, even if the sick+head govt turn a blind eye, cool grin
Re: Eight States In Nigeria Will Soon Be Wiped Off By Flood by Nobody: 8:35am On Oct 20, 2009
This politicians will not take measures to protect peoples lives,rathar than protecting their pockets&loots
Re: Eight States In Nigeria Will Soon Be Wiped Off By Flood by Demoladoc: 9:36am On Oct 20, 2009
na wa o!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Edo State House Of Assembly Speaker, Impeached! / Why Jonathan Chose Abubakar / Fear Of Buhari: IBB Returns ‘part’ Of $12.4bn Gulf Oil Windfall Money

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.