Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,483 members, 7,812,496 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:16 PM

Eight States In Nigeria Will Soon Be Wiped Off By Flood - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Eight States In Nigeria Will Soon Be Wiped Off By Flood (5139 Views)

Obiano Visits Houses Destroyed By Flood In The Rain (Photos) / Nkpor Express Way Anambra State About To Be Washed By Flood Pics / Jonathan Carrying A 4-Day-Old Baby Delivered By Flood Victim (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Eight States In Nigeria Will Soon Be Wiped Off By Flood by kosovo(m): 10:41am On Oct 20, 2009
Re: Eight States In Nigeria Will Soon Be Wiped Off By Flood by Nobody: 10:45am On Oct 20, 2009
This is quite an interesting conspiracy theory, it is quite possible. And thanks pete, I did not know South Africa  had a nuclears weapons program before, just searched it.

But the stuff is that the Lake is so small that I can not understand how the water from it will drown 8 states. Check it out on google maps. I do not even think the water there will drown a village, but then I have not taken a look at the dept.

From my secondary school geography, I undertand volcanic lakes to be born by mere rain water collecting in a crater, so that lake should not have any source emanating from the ground water table, unless it is super unique. It is even on a high ground, so I can assume that the water you see is exactly the much you will get should it spill.

My question then is why should we be talking of spending some 42 billion naira on a crazy dam, that is not even expected to prevent the so called spill.

The obivious simple solution to this is to drain the lake (not even to strengthen the embarkment). It will be much cheaper to drill a directional hole into the lake side, case it, lead it out with a pipe into a degassing unit to remove CO2 and then pump the water into a nearby river, Nature will follow its cause and the water will end up in the sea.   You could do this over a 5 years and just open the piping valves to allow a non-dangerous volume to flow out. And when the water in the craters collects in again in say 20 years, you just use a pig to clean out you pipe line and drain it away.

This will even protect the enviroment, since you will not have the lake totally destroyed, the plants and animals will still survive

Why spend 42 billion naira for  a dam and still the people are not even safe. Some one should take another look at the report on this Nyos dam, I think our currupt Gov. officials might be trying a little huccus poccus. Infact, it sounds to me as if since we a have never had a major natural disaster, so we want to make one, we want to sit down or build dams and believe we can do nothing about it. The fact that cameroon is not so bothered makes me think of this as another Millenium Bug/Y2K compliance sleeze.
Re: Eight States In Nigeria Will Soon Be Wiped Off By Flood by nex(m): 11:53am On Oct 20, 2009
@KenGali

SA had nukes and the world knew. They had to disarm when the Apatheid government was leaving.

There's a degassing unit in place at Lake Nyos.
Re: Eight States In Nigeria Will Soon Be Wiped Off By Flood by ifysiimpa(f): 12:01pm On Oct 20, 2009
kengali
Although am not familiar with the whatt you talked about ppertaining the lake issue. it makes alot of sense to me, but you have to bring the idea to the government. there is no harm in trying out your method. it could be our saving grace. there is nothing wrong in going ahead to do something about the lake. like the saying goes PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE. l
Re: Eight States In Nigeria Will Soon Be Wiped Off By Flood by trekkie: 8:44am On Oct 21, 2009
if the carbondioxide is released in a phenomenom known as lake turnover where the carbondioxide is released suddenly by a disturbance such as a rockslide into the lake, then the flood will be the least of our problems. this is serious. is there any way for citizens to get our senators to sponsor a bill to make them look into this? anyone pls educate me?
does anyone have family living close to these places? you may begin by alerting those close to you, spread the word and hopefully our voices will build into a crescendo that cannot be ignored and force the authorities concerned to do the right thing. we can always hope undecided
Re: Eight States In Nigeria Will Soon Be Wiped Off By Flood by ezeagu(m): 8:53am On Oct 21, 2009
kosovo:

wow,  shocked
  signs of the end days and fulfillment of the  2012/2013  Nigeria division grin

I was gonna say the same thing. grin Let's wait and see.
Re: Eight States In Nigeria Will Soon Be Wiped Off By Flood by ezeagu(m): 8:55am On Oct 21, 2009
THE AMAKA:

(i just wanna grab yaradua by his neck!  angry angry)

Have you seen his neck? I don't think thats a good idea. grin
Re: Eight States In Nigeria Will Soon Be Wiped Off By Flood by trekkie: 9:21am On Oct 21, 2009
only God knows the true story. lake turnover is a relatively new theory in geography and could have been cooked up to explain weapons discharge but lake kivu in east africa has the same potential although it is drained by a river and dammed naturally by volcanic emissions. do you know if there is a history of weapons use there as well?
don't want to derail the thread but another thing that disturbs me is that we (africans) have relied too much on research carried out by nations that do not have our interests at heart. when our own scientists are not equipped to carry out our own research, all we can do is speculate and say only God knows even when God has given us the ability to go and find out what the mystery is all about. just my 2  cents.
Re: Eight States In Nigeria Will Soon Be Wiped Off By Flood by Mbeki: 11:15am On Oct 21, 2009
toba:

This politicians will not take measures to protect peoples lives,rathar than protecting their pockets&loots

The alert was made by 18 senators from these states and the issues were well deliberated on. If the theory that another solution can be found on it as promulgated by Kengali, then, that will save a lot of lives and funds from the government.(that is if he can prove it beyond reasonable doubts), then an audience with the senate committee on Environment will be sought for him. The chairman of the Senate committee on Environment is Senator Grace Bent and the Deputy Chairman is Annie Okonkwo
the National Assembly are very concerned about this issue
Re: Eight States In Nigeria Will Soon Be Wiped Off By Flood by bokomo(f): 2:05pm On Oct 21, 2009
its not a matter of whose state is involved or not , it going to affect evryone . the Gov has to look into this matter seriously b4 smtin terrible happens . taking us unawares sad
Re: Eight States In Nigeria Will Soon Be Wiped Off By Flood by alias64: 2:33pm On Oct 21, 2009
These sorts of predictions rarely happen. However, just imagine if it was true and if some of the separatists had their way and that part of the country become independent one “day” and the next “day” there was a massive and permanent flood, to which country would the people evacuate? Wherever they went, would they not have to make effort to get along with the host community?

We the peoples' of Nigeria can get along if we make the effort. We need to apply all the pressure currently wasted on tribalism on our respective state governors. We need to attack them and get behind them so that the states become at once more powerful and beholden on to us. In this way we can make them influence national affairs.

Re: Eight States In Nigeria Will Soon Be Wiped Off By Flood by eros(m): 6:36pm On Oct 21, 2009
Action and less talk that is what Nigeria needs. All we have ever done when there is a problem or an impending problem is talk and talk some more, without doing anything about the problem. It's time we take our destiny into our own hands and stop thinking that the government will do something about it when we are the government. God Bless Nigeria
Re: Eight States In Nigeria Will Soon Be Wiped Off By Flood by THEAMAKA(f): 11:47pm On Oct 21, 2009
eros:

Action and less talk that is what Nigeria needs. All we have ever done when there is a problem or an impending problem is talk and talk some more, without doing anything about the problem. It's time we take our destiny into our own hands and stop thinking that the government will do something about it when we are the government. God Bless Nigeria
true.
Re: Eight States In Nigeria Will Soon Be Wiped Off By Flood by Mbeki: 6:45pm On Oct 22, 2009
Well lets see what happens.
Five years is around the corner
at least Sokoto and Zamfara has enough empty land
Re: Eight States In Nigeria Will Soon Be Wiped Off By Flood by Nobody: 6:49pm On Oct 22, 2009
^^ are you suggesting people from the affected states should migrate to Sokoto and Zamfara?

dont see how that's workable and besides, a lot of that land is arid, I should think.
Re: Eight States In Nigeria Will Soon Be Wiped Off By Flood by ezeagu(m): 10:06pm On Oct 22, 2009
Nothing will happen.
Re: Eight States In Nigeria Will Soon Be Wiped Off By Flood by sweeti14(f): 2:32pm On Oct 23, 2009
[/quote][quote author=ezeagu link=topic=338577.msg4771258#msg4771258 date=1256111753]
Have you seen his neck? I don't think thats a good idea. grin
exactly the guy is already quatre to death on d clock of lyf,by d tym the amaka grabs his neck lipsrsealed lipsrsealed[sub][/sub]no be 4rm my mouth u go hear am
Re: Eight States In Nigeria Will Soon Be Wiped Off By Flood by ezeagu(m): 10:55pm On Dec 30, 2009
What happened to this story?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Factions Disagree Over Governor Sylva's Move To CPC / It Is Either The Koran Or The Sword For Nigerians- Aliyu Gwarzo. / 13 Pix To Show That Nigeria Police Have Left Their Core Mandate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.