Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,488 members, 7,819,766 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:48 PM

Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" - Literature (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" (25640 Views)

Chimamanda Adichie Poses In Her Hometown In Abba, Anambra State / Make Me A Wife / Beyoncé Did Not Make Me Popular – Chimamanda Adichie (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by Nobody: 3:28pm On Oct 11, 2016
krak101:
And some single ladies will carry the feminist campaigns on their heads. You'll remain single till eternity. There's a huge difference between feminism and women empowerment. I prefer the latter

In the begininnig feminism and women empowerment were synonymous but now feminism just mean the freedom to use yr period blood to bake and to blame men on all the failures in yr life ... what a shame undecided

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by Nobody: 3:43pm On Oct 11, 2016
macof:
Not one speech she makes that I don't see some silly talk

she complains women somehow relate what they do to men, so? The essence of our humanity is socialization, and that can only be at its best when both sexes relate to each other. as a man, I know when men sit and talk together, when men go out and in everything we do, we find ways to relate to women. .. one would think a good writer like that should be intelligent enough to realize certain fundamental human characters

women are of great necessity to men as men are to women. .. it's not a one way thing

even that speech Beyoncé added to her song is just full of shiit. She claims men are not pressured to aspire to marry. ..seriously

She should google Banky-W tongue

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by Nobody: 3:57pm On Oct 11, 2016
Oahray:
Oh... There are now different kinds of feminism now? Interesting!

Chimamanda got it wrong this time. There has always been one type of feminism and at the root it has always been about men. The rights of men have and would always be the yardstick with which the feminist measures herself and her progress. The men can do this and we can't. The men have this and we don't. They let a man do this and they didn't let a woman (never mind that they didn't let other men either).

She should relax on the Beyonce ish. She's coming across as jealous. People watch more than they read. Was anyone expecting people to go talk to Beyonce about Chimamanda? Women and their issues sef.

Beyonce didn't make you popular, she made you MORE popular!

I've never agreed more with a post.

Chimamanda is my favourite authour and the reason i identify as feminist but now she just comes up as a femi-nazi(something i attribute to only white females).

Feminism will always be different because everyone is different so just because a person doesnt agree with yr idea of feminism doesnt make it better. like me, I believe that as a female I should aspire to be very successful business woman but that doesnt make me or my ideals better than the lady-feminist who would rather be a stay-at-home mom with 5 kids because in the end it just boils down to doing what you love and being a badass at it smiley smiley

Chimamada came off as proud this time but i'll let this pass 'cause i love her

And she is still the best...
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by macof(m): 3:58pm On Oct 11, 2016
Mynd44:

Funny thing is that some of us dont know the Kardashians before they got hooked with sport stars

grin grin that's true tho, hooking up with celebrities and their trashy life drama got them a reality show
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by IamPrince1: 4:33pm On Oct 11, 2016
favexx:
u are a killer. Repent! grin
seriously that guy wicked.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by LoveMachine(m): 4:38pm On Oct 11, 2016
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by Oahray: 4:44pm On Oct 11, 2016
swann:

I've never agreed more with a post.

Chimamanda is my favourite authour and the reason i identify as feminist but now she just comes up as a femi-nazi(something i attribute to only white females).

Feminism will always be different because everyone is different so just because a person doesnt agree with yr idea of feminism doesnt make it better. like me, I believe that as a female I should aspire to be very successful business woman but that doesnt make me or my ideals better than the lady-feminist who would rather be a stay-at-home mom with 5 kids because in the end it just boils down to doing what you love and being a badass at it smiley smiley

Chimamada came off as proud this time but i'll let this pass 'cause i love her

And she is still the best...
well, that's good for you. I can't say I'm still a fan.

I love two of her books... Purple Hibiscus and Half of a Yellow Sun, and that's where it ends. Americanah and the stories in A Thing Around Your Neck were just there.

Yeah, I believe everyone should reach out for his/her dreams, gender notwithstanding. Just be willing to bear the consequences.

Anyone who says "men do not discuss women when they come together" is a very ignorant person who arrogantly presumes to be the fly on every wall.

The same person who condemns Beyonce's 'brand of feminism' for "giving space to the necessity of men" does so because she feels women ought to dicuss LIKE MEN. She think men are unnecessary but criticizes women for not being more like men when they come together to discuss. That's the zero logic that has become a big part of feminism.

She should stick to writing books biko.

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by BuddhaPalm(m): 5:53pm On Oct 11, 2016
UjSizzle:

Hmmm there you are. Wondered what happened to you and Shym3xx.

My sweetheart, I dey o.

Na real-life and reddit...
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by kachi19: 11:26am On Oct 13, 2016
LoveMachine:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinua_Achebe

I knew that's what u want to say!!
I don't know where u got ur shit fact from but... The name of her father is Prof. James Adichie and he's a lecturer of statistics at UNN
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by LoveMachine(m): 12:44pm On Oct 13, 2016
kachi19:

I knew that's what u want to say!!
I don't know where u got ur shit fact from but... The name of her father is Prof. James Adichie and he's a lecturer of statistics at UNN

This is why I hate believing people without doing my own research. Now I seem like a slowpoke because enough people have told me the wrong thing. Thank you for the correction.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by kachi19: 12:47am On Oct 14, 2016
LoveMachine:

This is why I hate believing people without doing my own research. Now I seem like a slowpoke because enough people have told me the wrong thing. Thank you for the correction.

Your welcome
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by Angelsss(f): 1:30am On Oct 14, 2016
the funny thing is that she is actually married with a child, be not deceived my Adichie...
why did she have to marry?
why did she have to keep a MAN in her life?
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by laudate: 4:52pm On Oct 31, 2016
OdenigboAroli:
Beyonce reached out and used her intellectual property not the other way around ,you ffaaggot. Beyonce will be blessed to stand before one of the world best orator. Chimamanda's work brought her fame which gave her the celebrity status. Her novel ,half of a yellow sun has been adopted into a movie and her latest work ,Americana is about to follow suit.!

Biko, who is one of the world's best orator? shocked Chimamanda? Stop the hyperbole, please. Yes, she is articulate, but it would take a lot to classify her as one of the world's best orators.

And yes, Beyonce's sampling of her work made Chimamanda more popular, and extended her fan base. If Beyonce were to perform at a concert held in a stadium, the seats would be sold out to maximum capacity, whether it was held in Nigeria or in America. If Chimamanda were to do a book reading at the same venue, less that one-third of the sports hall would be filled. So yes, Beyonce increased Chimamanda's popularity and fan base. The writer needs to deal with that! undecided It takes nothing away from her.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by Nobody: 4:35pm On Nov 01, 2016
laudate:

Biko, who is one of the world's best orator? shocked Chimamanda? Stop the hyperbole, please. Yes, she is articulate, but it would take a lot to classify her as one of the world's best orators.

And yes, Beyonce's sampling of her work made Chimamanda more popular, and extended her fan base. If Beyonce were to perform at a concert held in a stadium, the seats would be sold out to maximum capacity, whether it was held in Nigeria or in America. If Chimamanda were to do a book reading at the same venue, less that one-third of the sports hall would be filled. So yes, Beyonce increased Chimamanda's popularity and fan base. The writer needs to deal with that! undecided It takes nothing away from her.

Your reasoning is very flawed darling
Just because you have more of something (quantity), does not mean what you have is better (quality)
....and that is how I am gonna liken your Beyonce to our Adichie

America is big, brash and in your face, with its media and racial tensions, and has an unbelievable near zero cultural relativity. The average Ameriacan does not, and arguably, is incapable of thinking of a world outside of their "States". This ethnocentric flaw is however extolled iand lauded whenever articles like this come up, Beyonce making an otherwise obscure writer from the backwaters of Africa known all over the whole wide vast world that is the US (eyes roll)...hence I expect that instead of hiding in shame that they know nothing, they actually feed the world with what they know instead...which is invariably as American as they come.....it is tragic when we buy their produce...just because our own is not the right tribe. Shame on people like this

They forget the following-
...that you have a smaller number of cerebral people than you do the multitude of popular music hypnotised people
...that the probability of simultaneously being someone who adulates Mz Beyonce/ her brand and deeply explores literature is not high (therefore those Beyonce fans' likelihood of picking up and actually reading Mz Adichie's book as recommended by Beyonce is very slim...in summary, Adichie's fan base remains unchanged because of Beyonce's intervention
Actually, it is easier to get a reader of serious books to also listen to unserious music....than it is getting a listener of unserious music to also read a serious book...so who are we fooling here? cheesy
So the American pop media should put this in their pipes and smoke it- Beyonce has done Chimamanda NO favours...not even at all

I respect Beyonce for the fact that she has serious business saavy, acumen and successes....she is also a super beautiful woman(well, this is not her doing, but God's, and good genes, but still)....but I could never walk into a shop and buy her music....whose lyrics are as brash as they are unmemorable. (This is not true of "check on me tonight" and two others that I cant remember right now...will edit if I do. However three memorable songs out of more than a hundred is lipsrsealed). This last paragraph is my personal assessment and viewpoint.

In a nutshell....If I could, I would punch the living daylights out of the writers, editors and publishers of that crazily flawed and wrong article
angry
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by Nobody: 4:48pm On Nov 01, 2016
Beneath the almost palpable discrimination, intolerance and dislike for blacks embedded in the following article lies also the truth
I agree with the sentiments while wishing I could also punch the racist writer/publisher cheesy
Chimamanda Adichie was right to wail and whine...simple and short

http://www.theblaze.com/contributions/beyonce-is-destroying-your-daughter-not-empowering-her/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=story&utm_campaign=ShareButtons
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by lilylurv(f): 10:28am On Nov 04, 2016
...but I love Beyonce...i love about 58% of her songs right from Destiny's Child days.

embarassed

merahki:

Your reasoning is very flawed darling
Just because you have more of something (quantity), does not mean what you have is better (quality)
....and that is how I am gonna liken your Beyonce to our Adichie

America is big, brash and in your face, with its media and racial tensions, and has an unbelievable near zero cultural relativity. The average Ameriacan does not, and arguably, is incapable of thinking of a world outside of their "States". This ethnocentric flaw is however extolled iand lauded whenever articles like this come up, Beyonce making an otherwise obscure writer from the backwaters of Africa known all over the whole wide vast world that is the US (eyes roll)...hence I expect that instead of hiding in shame that they know nothing, they actually feed the world with what they know instead...which is invariably as American as they come.....it is tragic when we buy their produce...just because our own is not the right tribe. Shame on people like this

They forget the following-
...that you have a smaller number of cerebral people than you do the multitude of popular music hypnotised people
...that the probability of simultaneously being someone who adulates Mz Beyonce/ her brand and deeply explores literature is not high (therefore those Beyonce fans' likelihood of picking up and actually reading Mz Adichie's book as recommended by Beyonce is very slim...in summary, Adichie's fan base remains unchanged because of Beyonce's intervention
Actually, it is easier to get a reader of serious books to also listen to unserious music....than it is getting a listener of unserious music to also read a serious book...so who are we fooling here? cheesy
So the American pop media should put this in their pipes and smoke it- Beyonce has done Chimamanda NO favours...not even at all

I respect Beyonce for the fact that she has serious business saavy, acumen and successes....she is also a super beautiful woman(well, this is not her doing, but God's, and good genes, but still)....but I could never walk into a shop and buy her music....whose lyrics are as brash as they are unmemorable. (This is not true of "check on me tonight" and two others that I cant remember right now...will edit if I do. However three memorable songs out of more than a hundred is lipsrsealed). This last paragraph is my personal assessment and viewpoint.

In a nutshell....If I could, I would punch the living daylights out of the writers, editors and publishers of that crazily flawed and wrong article
angry

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by tayolydia: 12:08pm On Nov 04, 2016
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by tayolydia: 12:15pm On Nov 04, 2016
It hurts me a lot when I read all the posts to find out that FEMINISM is been trashed about by men,it hurts much more when I realised that majority of the condemnation comes from women.............them I'm forced to ask,are you comfortable with this gendered society? A society that is forcing you to be second to your fellow human(whether male superiority over female and vice versa)? Talking of man and woman,I though God made Eve out of Adam's rib,so they are equal,made of the same stuff,so why should one claim seniority over the other? There is difference between respecting your spouse and a spouse dominating..........let's get it straight and right.
Beyonce....... when did blacks ever get accredited for anything they do no matter how excellently well they perform? If you are curious,read Nairobi Heat(though a fiction,it tells more). Beyonce cited Chimamanda doesn't mean she made her popular,after all who is the father of fame if not God,and believe it or not,many dont even and cannot link the song(with) and Chimamanda.
Chimamanda isn't saying one should not marry or see men as important,from what I've read so far,all I can say about her work is this:men are important,so are women. You both need each other to balance out. She is saying:we don't want a society that favours one based on gender(my example,I'm carrying over a course cos I am a female,lecturer wants a fast one - i am wanted cos I have what it takes to satisfy the man;my best friend male is carrying over the same course cos he is my friend - the man hates him cos he is a male). Another instance:A male lecturer is hated because he doesn't have what to feed the hungry eyes but a female is loved cos she has what to feed the hungry eyes(this is just in a school setting oooooo) compared to the bigger society. She is saying:judge everyone based on their worth not because one is masculine(a female can be masculine) and the other is feminine(a male can be feminine)...................
But Nigeria is just so patriarchal that's why it seems that she is advocating against men,take for instance; it hurts me when my mum keeps saying,you are a girl,keep your virginity for your husband,it's a thing of pride,why can't she just say keep yourself cos it makes you responsible...........,my elder sister dropped out of school cos my brother had to further his masters degree(after all my brother is a male and in the end,the wife is claiming the owner of his life,mum is just left with the two girls) and many more the female children are facing out there(sacrifices that are not worth it).
However,she always have space for telling people that:'never treat the oppressed as saint' meaning that she also acknowledges that some people cause their havoc themselves not because of gender.
And besides,who gender EPP? who masculinity and femininity EPP?we've been practicing gendered based society and what do we have to show for it? hubbies beating their wives to stupor,wives hating/poisoning their hubbies,male children getting the whole attention,female children doing the chores................ITS HIGH TIME WE TREATED EACH OTHER WITH RESPECT,that's the only way we won't have to war ourselves........internally and externally

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by StupidYorubaFool: 3:10am On Dec 09, 2016
UIA04:

Did you even read the write up
amor this kind mouth go tight for blow=job o..
Excuse me pls.... Do you suck diccks for a profession
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by Precial419: 7:07am On Dec 09, 2016
In this generation of music beyounce not just one of the best females in d US but the best in d world in pop. i think both are good and am really into adiche' stuff. so i dont knw if she the world best. They ehance but am sure more people wil listen to bey's music of dan go read adiche's write ups
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by Nobody: 4:15am On Mar 21, 2017
I think what she meant is just that WRITERS should also be respected.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by wany(f): 5:05am On Jun 07, 2020
tayolydia:
It hurts me a lot when I read all the posts to find out that FEMINISM is been trashed about by men,it hurts much more when I realised that majority of the condemnation comes from women.............them I'm forced to ask,are you comfortable with this gendered society? A society that is forcing you to be second to your fellow human(whether male superiority over female and vice versa)? Talking of man and woman,I though God made Eve out of Adam's rib,so they are equal,made of the same stuff,so why should one claim seniority over the other? There is difference between respecting your spouse and a spouse dominating..........let's get it straight and right.
Beyonce....... when did blacks ever get accredited for anything they do no matter how excellently well they perform? If you are curious,read Nairobi Heat(though a fiction,it tells more). Beyonce cited Chimamanda doesn't mean she made her popular,after all who is the father of fame if not God,and believe it or not,many dont even and cannot link the song(with) and Chimamanda.
Chimamanda isn't saying one should not marry or see men as important,from what I've read so far,all I can say about her work is this:men are important,so are women. You both need each other to balance out. She is saying:we don't want a society that favours one based on gender(my example,I'm carrying over a course cos I am a female,lecturer wants a fast one - i am wanted cos I have what it takes to satisfy the man;my best friend male is carrying over the same course cos he is my friend - the man hates him cos he is a male). Another instance:A male lecturer is hated because he doesn't have what to feed the hungry eyes but a female is loved cos she has what to feed the hungry eyes(this is just in a school setting oooooo) compared to the bigger society. She is saying:judge everyone based on their worth not because one is masculine(a female can be masculine) and the other is feminine(a male can be feminine)...................
But Nigeria is just so patriarchal that's why it seems that she is advocating against men,take for instance; it hurts me when my mum keeps saying,you are a girl,keep your virginity for your husband,it's a thing of pride,why can't she just say keep yourself cos it makes you responsible...........,my elder sister dropped out of school cos my brother had to further his masters degree(after all my brother is a male and in the end,the wife is claiming the owner of his life,mum is just left with the two girls) and many more the female children are facing out there(sacrifices that are not worth it).
However,she always have space for telling people that:'never treat the oppressed as saint' meaning that she also acknowledges that some people cause their havoc themselves not because of gender.
And besides,who gender EPP? who masculinity and femininity EPP?we've been practicing gendered based society and what do we have to show for it? hubbies beating their wives to stupor,wives hating/poisoning their hubbies,male children getting the whole attention,female children doing the chores................ITS HIGH TIME WE TREATED EACH OTHER WITH RESPECT,that's the only way we won't have to war ourselves........internally and externally
Wish I could give you a thousand likes,I have said it a thousand times her write up is not for warp brains. undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What's Your Favorite Novel Of All Time? / Honeymoon In Prison-reborn / Skarlett Wins Seun Osewa Fiction Battle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.