Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,322 members, 7,819,101 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:20 AM

Afe Babalola Speaks On Arrest Of Judges - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Afe Babalola Speaks On Arrest Of Judges (22943 Views)

Lere Olayinka Mocks Omoyele Sowore On Arrest Of His Brother By DSS / Arraignment Of Judges Put Off Indefinitely / EFCC Releases Statement On Arrest Of Abubakar Sidiq, Says He Is A Cyber Stalker (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Afe Babalola Speaks On Arrest Of Judges by Kgdavid(m): 9:18am On Oct 13, 2016
double0seven:
rubbish, the reason DSS have to go into their houses instead of first going to NJC is obvious so I wonder why all this SANS continues "beating the same horse".

Don't the government needs hard evidence to prosecute these corrupt judges? And how exactly will they get that? By informing the NJC? By informing the Judges ahead of a search? And the monies will be there waiting for them?

Then all this Big SANS just lamenting DSS did this did that, they never actually proceed to tell exactly how DSS broke the law.

My guy...thank you for speaking my thoughts
Re: Afe Babalola Speaks On Arrest Of Judges by pedel: 9:19am On Oct 13, 2016
Manspeaks:

It is obvious you do not understand what justice/injustice entails...it is not thinking with your heart but with your head!
And in your expanded knowledge injustice /justice simply means thinking with the head?
What about corruption? Thinking with your anus?

1 Like

Re: Afe Babalola Speaks On Arrest Of Judges by ddeola: 9:19am On Oct 13, 2016
The "oracle" has spoken. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Afe Babalola Speaks On Arrest Of Judges by omonnakoda: 9:19am On Oct 13, 2016
neocortex:

It is not a matter of what you feel, it is the "due process" that matters.
A sitting judge or police should be suspended/dismissed before trial, if the case
favours the accused then he/she can be reinstated.

Innocent until proven guilty applies to how the court views the suspect not the
process leading to the arraignment which depends on a lot of factors.
I disagree with the way the arrests were conducted but for very different reasons which I have stated above. Technically the claim that judges should be suspended/dismissed before trial is wrong that is a matter for the NJC to decide and is no different from saying the Catholic Bishop of Lagos should be removed or a doctor's licence suspended before trial. They are parallel and unrelated matters though in the case of judges we need explicit clarity in the law.That is not currently the case
There is no such requirement in law today and my objection has nothing to do with the law as it is though maybe this incident should trigger a review of extant law.
Re: Afe Babalola Speaks On Arrest Of Judges by neocortex: 9:21am On Oct 13, 2016
pedel:

They still have to be arrested first.

Arrested for what purpose ?
Re: Afe Babalola Speaks On Arrest Of Judges by omonnakoda: 9:22am On Oct 13, 2016
neocortex:

Arrested for what purpose ?
What is the purpose of making any arrest?
Re: Afe Babalola Speaks On Arrest Of Judges by Saib4Jesus: 9:25am On Oct 13, 2016
Jirate:

But why is it difficult for you to understand what the SAN is saying, Follow Due Process. Simple, Any other way will meet a dead End.
To use your Example, if a Police man shoot a Judge dead, his colleagues will arrest him, Dismiss Him from the service First, before taking him to Court for Trails.

if the judge commits murder will he not be arrested first before he will be suspended of dismissed?
Re: Afe Babalola Speaks On Arrest Of Judges by jimi4us: 9:29am On Oct 13, 2016
OrlandoOwoh:
This man has spoken like Ozekhome did on Sunday, quoting an old Administration of Criminal Justice Act (ACJA) that was amended during the last administration and signed by Jonathan in 2015. The new ACJA says security agencies, with a warrant, can carry out an arrest of a search at any time of the day, even in the dead of the night. They can carry out an arrest on weekends and public holidays.
it's only in Nigeria illiterates like you think they know more than we learned people. If you can't understand what my fellow colleague Mr babalola have outlined then I think you're as dumb as Buhari
Re: Afe Babalola Speaks On Arrest Of Judges by Alvin007: 9:33am On Oct 13, 2016
This Baba should go and sit down...some of us haven't forgotten how he made his money. lipsrsealed
Re: Afe Babalola Speaks On Arrest Of Judges by farihafaheemah(m): 9:35am On Oct 13, 2016
Sorry sir I disagree with you Lawyer Afe, the DSS wrote NJC concerning the corrupt judges but they didn't take action. They ought to have charged to court by now but due to NJC diplomacy also hindered the corrupt judges being arraingned. They are human being like every other Nigerians. Nobody is above the law. Let them face the music. Enough is enough. Radical situation requires radical solution.

1 Like

Re: Afe Babalola Speaks On Arrest Of Judges by undigeh: 9:52am On Oct 13, 2016
Jirate:

But why is it difficult for you to understand what the SAN is saying, Follow Due Process. Simple, Any other way will meet a dead End.
To use your Example, if a Police man shoot a Judge dead, his colleagues will arrest him, Dismiss Him from the service First, before taking him to Court for Trails.

What if the people with power to dismiss have their hands soiled in corruption and are not willing to dismiss the suspect?
To my understanding, there is confusion in the law. Every judge is right in his own way .

There are some few SAN who hate corruption and will take side with government action. They also quote relevant sections of the constitution to support their point.
They said only the president and his vice, the governor and his deputy have immunity against arrest but not in criminal offence.

Can anyone quote relevant law that legalize what these judges are being accused of?
Let anybody in possession of such, assist them with it to use for their defence.
This is the only legal solution to their legal wahala.

Don't forget that judges are civil servant, when a civil servant is facing trial in court, he will be place under INTERDICTION, pending the outcome of the court decision.
This is the constitutional practice in dealing with civil servants in Nigeria.
Sentiment and emotion not withstanding.
Re: Afe Babalola Speaks On Arrest Of Judges by Mylove55(f): 9:53am On Oct 13, 2016
pedel:
So if a Supreme Court judge commits felony he can't be charged to court?
Let's say a Supreme Court judge shot his gate man dead in the middle of the night and the neighbours call the police, does it mean the judge can't be arrested and charge for murder?
This country is definitely screwd.
help me ask the learneth lawyer why wil the judge steal at midnight,in the secret or did they stole opening.

1 Like

Re: Afe Babalola Speaks On Arrest Of Judges by Nobody: 9:54am On Oct 13, 2016
pedel:

Let's say a Supreme Court judge shot his gate man dead in the middle of the night and the neighbours call the police, does it mean the judge can't be arrested and charge for murder?

No it's fvcked. angry stupid SAN telling us a supreme court judge is too big to be arraigned before a magistrate.

He is lucky this ain't a military regime. They would have faced a tribunal of junior military officers
Re: Afe Babalola Speaks On Arrest Of Judges by Mylove55(f): 10:03am On Oct 13, 2016
ddeola:
The "oracle" has spoken. grin grin grin grin grin
the oracle must be foolish to support corrupt judges, or is not the same afe babalola i know, that broad-day light criminal. he is worst than high-way robber.
Re: Afe Babalola Speaks On Arrest Of Judges by omonnakoda: 10:28am On Oct 13, 2016
Saib4Jesus:

if the judge commits murder will he not be arrested first before he will be suspended of dismissed?
In law there is no obstacle to arresting a judge but a situation where several judges especially of the Supreme need to be arrested is a crisis in any country that wants to be called civilized.It is particularly important that the power to order such arrests doe not lie with the Presidency or executive and currently it does .My main concern is not the judges but the institution and democracy. As it is there is nothing stopping the presidency arresting every single Supreme Court Judge on Probable Cause. The same could apply to every single senator in one day.There is no law stopping that either.It is easy to see how this can be abused whether to thwart the announcement of elections results,frustrate impeachment or any other mischief the executive may wish to play.We must look beyond the current events to the long term implications.
Any move to arrest several(more than one) judges or legislators on the same day could be a way of executing a coup by the presidency
Re: Afe Babalola Speaks On Arrest Of Judges by toggy: 10:28am On Oct 13, 2016
I support the DSS in every ramification.
This singular action will stimulate the judiciary. It has happen to Doctors before, it has happen to former governors, it has happen to senators, it has happen to Directors. Lawyers are not talking.
DSS can arrest anybody at anytime! (Department of state security). It could be by force or by fire, once you are given notice and you resist. Nobody is above the Law.

Judiciary is ONE big problem in this country!
Most of them wine and dine with politicians at the detriment of Nation building.
They sold their integrity and dignity. They are suppose to be a watch over the Legislative and the execute.

Is it because they are Judges, when a judge turn businessmen, they should be treated like businessmen. Judges are suppose to be respected and place in high esteem, but when Judges refuse to be Judges, lacking integrity and lost of dignity the life of common men are in grievous danger.
I still know some Judges who are well respected and they stand on the truth.
They love this country so well that they will never compromise anything that will jeopardize the unity and peace of this great country.
A corrupt mind is a killer of body and soul!
Re: Afe Babalola Speaks On Arrest Of Judges by OrlandoOwoh(m): 10:32am On Oct 13, 2016
jimi4us:
it's only in Nigeria illiterates like you think they know more than we learned people. If you can't understand what my fellow colleague Mr babalola have outlined then I think you're as dumb as Buhari
It's only in Nigeria we've people foolishly following others. Is Barr. Jiti Ogunye who has been quoting relevant sections of the ACJA to back the actions of the SSS also an illiterate? How come you and Babalola have not quoted any law to back your claim that the SSS was wrong in its actions?
Re: Afe Babalola Speaks On Arrest Of Judges by kcnwaigbo: 10:38am On Oct 13, 2016
farihafaheemah:
Sorry sir I disagree with you Lawyer Afe, the DSS wrote NJC concerning the corrupt judges but they didn't take action. They ought to have charged to court by now but due to NJC diplomacy also hindered the corrupt judges being arraingned. They are human being like every other Nigerians. Nobody is above the law. Let them face the music. Enough is enough. Radical situation requires radical solution.

The DSS wrote to the NJC withoiut any evidence.What do you want the NJC to act on? see paragraph 4 of the attached

Re: Afe Babalola Speaks On Arrest Of Judges by gbemoh: 10:39am On Oct 13, 2016
Jirate:

To use your Example, if a Police man shoot a Judge dead, his colleagues will arrest him, Dismiss Him from the service First, before taking him to Court for Trial.
The NJC must dismiss them first before they can be Brought before another Judge and tried like any common offender.
What Buhari has done now is Putting the Cart before the Horse, it doesn't work that way. cool
Lol at his colleagues arresting him, Oga listen to yourself!! The judiciary doesn't do that
Re: Afe Babalola Speaks On Arrest Of Judges by kcnwaigbo: 10:45am On Oct 13, 2016
gbemoh:

Lol at his colleagues arresting him, Oga listen to yourself!! The judiciary doesn't do that

so if you don't trust the Judiciary to first investigatre him why then would you still bring him to the judiciary for trial? Shebi after all said and done will the DSS try them themselves?
Re: Afe Babalola Speaks On Arrest Of Judges by omoseth(m): 10:46am On Oct 13, 2016
Some people are letting their emotions get over their sense of reasoning over this issue. Nobody is saying Judges can't be arrested/ face trial or prosecuted if found wanting of any crime or wrong deeds. what we are saying is that the right thing must be done. The right thing here is to wait for the NJC to look into the matter and do the needful accordingly. If the DSS goes ahead to put the judges on trial without NJC removing them first as judges ,i hate to say the case will go under the guillontine.
Re: Afe Babalola Speaks On Arrest Of Judges by CACAWA(m): 10:52am On Oct 13, 2016
989900:
He must have bribed a judge, maybe. This is a man I know personally, and have so much respect for. sad
watch your mouth
Re: Afe Babalola Speaks On Arrest Of Judges by omonnakoda: 11:03am On Oct 13, 2016
omoseth:
Some people are letting their emotions get over their sense of reasoning over this issue. Nobody is saying Judges can't be arrested/ face trial or prosecuted if found wanting of any crime or wrong deeds. what we are saying is that the right thing must be done. The right thing here is to wait for the NJC to look into the matter and do the needful accordingly. If the DSS goes ahead to put the judges on trial without NJC removing them first as judges ,i hate to say the case will go under the guillontine.
That is not correct.Rather than going back and forth on this issue why not provide a citation. I do not agree with the action but what it exposes is yet another gap in our laws and constitution. The NJC's role in disciplining judges has absolutely nothing to do with their criminal prosecution. I agree that what has happened is "wrong" but it is not legally wrong. It just exposes the fact that the presidency has too much power and that needs review. But there is no statute or constitutional provision that stipulates that judges cannot be arrested or prosecuted or that this should be channeled through the NJC or that the NJC has a veto of such.Maybe there should be,the fact is THERE IS NOT and so we find ourselves in a very regrettable position.
If you disagree provide a citation
Re: Afe Babalola Speaks On Arrest Of Judges by fontpro(m): 11:04am On Oct 13, 2016
Guy do you think NJC will do the needful ? let stop fooling ourselves, some situations need such approach.
Re: Afe Babalola Speaks On Arrest Of Judges by thunderbabs: 11:06am On Oct 13, 2016
Sibrah:
Our legal people are big problem. See all of them quoting silly laws. Diezani who has eloped to UK today is practically unreachable due to laws formulated and influenced by same class of people being investigated.

Why didnt buhari order this commando style on Diezani too?
Re: Afe Babalola Speaks On Arrest Of Judges by 989900: 11:07am On Oct 13, 2016
CACAWA:
watch your mouth
Re: Afe Babalola Speaks On Arrest Of Judges by sucess001(m): 11:21am On Oct 13, 2016
pedel:

Bros, stop playing games and chatting with your phone. Try and be reading educative contents online. It help to improve your understanding and point of views. It's God's advice that you lean not on your own understanding. Proverbs 3:5

The case against them were not dropped. Two more judges were arrested yesterday.

When you read that the cases were dropped it's to tell you that some people are pressurising or blackmailing the FG not to move forward.

For you to even mention that the FG won't win any cases in the future because judges were arrested proves that your thinking is infantile.

Goodness!

this guy is dumb!.... how does two further arrests mean that the released judges have a case to answer?

so they re pressurizing them to drop it and they did? lol...your reasoning is beyond infantile...

and yes....the you only need an average brain to realise the FG's win ratio in courts will drop because of the treatment of these judges...

but since u cant process that...i guess ur brain is below average...
Re: Afe Babalola Speaks On Arrest Of Judges by frisky2good(m): 11:32am On Oct 13, 2016
You don't seem to understand that IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO TRY A SITTING JUDGE and IT IS ONLY NJC THAT CAN REMOVE A JUDGE. The president is a school cert holder so he can't read and understand the constitution.

jeffizy:
The justification or otherwise of this particular case is becoming boring.
Let's move from horse trading to trials. If found guilty, convict them and we move to the next one.
Re: Afe Babalola Speaks On Arrest Of Judges by frisky2good(m): 11:36am On Oct 13, 2016
Not only a judge. Even policemen have to face orderly room trial before being taken to court. Erring soldiers face court martial before being taaken to court. You can never get a conviction against a serving military officer in any law court. The law is the law.

pedel:

Re: Afe Babalola Speaks On Arrest Of Judges by july66: 11:38am On Oct 13, 2016
[quote author=pedel post=50152732]So if a Supreme Court judge commits felony he can't be charged to court?

Re: Afe Babalola Speaks On Arrest Of Judges by july66: 11:40am On Oct 13, 2016
pedel:

There is a general anger against corruption & this is normal but if you want to fight corruption, do so within the appropriate constitutional provisions except we say the constitution of Nigeria is no longer binding on us. Once you breach the constitution, no mater how good your case is, you can't succeed in court. The approach of the DSS, no matter how good it looks to us, has already provided loopholes for lawyers to exploit. We all support the fight against corruption, but the approach in a democracy cannot be like in a military regime because there are no decrees to support it. We will eventually come to the constitution for interpretation.
Re: Afe Babalola Speaks On Arrest Of Judges by jumobi1(m): 11:40am On Oct 13, 2016
kcnwaigbo:

Does the DSS have any evidence to prove these Judges collected bribes? What about the executive? Who polices them if they are corrupt?

Yes. The evidence is in the monies seized in their houses and I'm sure the DSS did investigations before making arrests. The evidence doesn't have to prove they collected bribe beyond a reasonable doubt for the evidence to be enough to arrest them.

We police the executive with law enforcement. We can also police by voting them out. If that doesn't work then we revolt.

Due Process works when the system isn't totally rotten. You see corruption in Nigeria everyday. That's not normal.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Deji Adeyanju Remanded In Prison Till February / South-west Capital Projects In 2016 Budget.. / Justice Abang Suspends PDP Convention

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.