Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,916 members, 7,956,448 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 12:07 PM

Prince Eheneden Picks New Name - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Prince Eheneden Picks New Name (42398 Views)

Oba Of Benin Arrives Abuja In Style To Meet With Prince Charles. Photos / Ezelekhae Ewuare: The Crown Prince Of Benin Kingdom Unveiled In Edo (Photos) / Erediauwa Picks The Name "Oba Ewuare ii" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Prince Eheneden Picks New Name by fatiaforreal: 4:01pm On Oct 20, 2016
ENDTIMEgist:

How did Oduduwa communicate with the Benins?
Or he just allowed his son wander in the bush to Benin?
Let's call a spade a spade, and perhaps your Ooni is in Benin now.
The languages were not as varied as they appear today. Nupeland is where more than 70% of the languages in Africa originated from and it's the point of separation of most tribes.
Oranmiyan did not wander, he conquered Benin.
Ooni has visited every kingdom he considers Oduduwa's kingdom. Is Benin kingdom an exception?
Re: Prince Eheneden Picks New Name by Nobody: 4:07pm On Oct 20, 2016
fatiaforreal:

The languages were not as varied as they appear today. Nupeland is where more than 70% of the languages in Africa originated from and it's the point of separation of most tribes.
Ooni has visited every kingdom he considers Oduduwa's kingdom. Is Benin kingdom an exception?

@BornStunner1 this guy just said USA is among the kingdom Oduduwa conquered

He conquered Benin with the help of King Markers?
And if you conquered somewhere won't you stay there and rule? Why would you leave there to another place. Or who nor like fruit of him labour?
Oba of Benin Do not visit other places he conquered, y? At least the Ooni would have sent delegates na. Why going all by himself with his royal staff. Oga don't be deceived we know the truth.
Re: Prince Eheneden Picks New Name by fatiaforreal: 4:08pm On Oct 20, 2016
BornStunner1:

HAHAHAHAHA CASED CLOSED!!!!!
You guys got it wrong!
Ooni has visited every kingdom he considers Oodua kingdom, from Oyo, Ila Orangun, Egba, Lagos, even those in diaspora. Benin kingdom is not an exception.
I hope the Oba has paid the ground rent to Ogiamen, that's what Ekiopagha Treaty is all about. They might have hidden that from you. You guys know little.
Oba's ancestors except Ovorawen were all buried in Ife, take it or leave it.
Re: Prince Eheneden Picks New Name by Nobody: 4:13pm On Oct 20, 2016
fatiaforreal:
So its funny when a Bini man claims Oba originated from Benin.
The palace is only trying to cover up the origin of the Oba to prevent a possible challenge to the dynasty by the aborigines led by Ogiamen. That's just the truth.

Ogiamen has never been vital in Benin history and can never be vital, during when the Benins had no king Evain, Ogiamen father ruled and when. He was about to die he wanted his son Ogiamen to continue, that's when the Benins revoked against it.
Re: Prince Eheneden Picks New Name by BornStunner1: 4:15pm On Oct 20, 2016
ENDTIMEgist:

And if you conquered somewhere won't you stay there and rule? Why would you leave there to another place. Or who nor like fruit of him labour?
Oba of Benin Do not visit other places he conquered, y? At least the Ooni would have sent delegates na. Why going all by himself with his royal staff. Oga don't be deceived we know the truth.

Hahahahaha Dont mind that one he is clearly high on that weed they smoke in Uhe aka ile ife grin grin

Re: Prince Eheneden Picks New Name by Nobody: 4:16pm On Oct 20, 2016
fatiaforreal:

You guys got it wrong!
Ooni has visited every kingdom he considers Oodua kingdom, from Oyo, Ila Orangun, Egba, Lagos, even those in diaspora. Benin kingdom is not an exception.
I hope the Oba has paid the ground rent to Ogiamen, that's what Ekiopagha Treaty is all about. They might have hidden that from you. You guys know little.

Hehe Yorubas always having back up story where is all the kings buried in ile Ife? Have you seen it when was the last Oba body carried , and why are you all carrying different rumours, some say it is head you say body. Me say prick now cheesy cheesy
Re: Prince Eheneden Picks New Name by fatiaforreal: 4:17pm On Oct 20, 2016
ENDTIMEgist:

The kingmakers had little choice. Oranmiyan was a warrior, mind you.

He left Benin after ruling for some time or was it same day?
You gave him a wife, have you forgotten?
That's the way he has visited every Oodua kingdom. Mind you, it is cardinal agenga to unite all Oodua kingdoms.
Tackle all the points I raised earlier from intellectual perspective. Tell us where Bini came from.
Re: Prince Eheneden Picks New Name by BornStunner1: 4:18pm On Oct 20, 2016
fatiaforreal:

You guys got it wrong!

SHUT YOUR TRAP!!!

Re: Prince Eheneden Picks New Name by fatiaforreal: 4:22pm On Oct 20, 2016
ENDTIMEgist:

Ogiamen has never been vital in Benin history and can never be vital, during when the Benins had no king Evain, Ogiamen father ruled and when. He was about to die he wanted his son Ogiamen to continue, that's when the Benins revoked against it.
I know that version of the story too. Thanks.
Now tell us the history of the Binis. You must have read through my account. I'm waiting pls
Re: Prince Eheneden Picks New Name by fatiaforreal: 4:25pm On Oct 20, 2016
BornStunner1:

SHUT YOUR TRAP!!!
I will ignore your uncultured manners.
We need intellectual cum historical contributions.
Tell us the history of the bonus.

1 Like

Re: Prince Eheneden Picks New Name by Nobody: 4:25pm On Oct 20, 2016
fatiaforreal:

The kingmakers had little choice. Oranmiyan was a warrior, mind you.

He left Benin after ruling for some time or was it same day?
You gave him a wife, have you forgotten?
That's the way he has visited every Oodua kingdom. Mind you, it is cardinal agenga to unite all Oodua kingdoms.
Tackle all the points I raised earlier from intellectual perspective. Tell us where Bini came from.

So you saying he conquered is a great fat lie, you can't conquer and leave?
Or Oduduwa conquer Ife and left also.
So you are if you conquer a place today you would leave your son of less than 10 years to rule The place?.
Him leaving the place means he never loved the place he was asked to rule.
@BornStunner1 I lie
Re: Prince Eheneden Picks New Name by fatiaforreal: 4:28pm On Oct 20, 2016
ENDTIMEgist:

Hehe Yorubas always having back up story where is all the kings buried in ile Ife? Have you seen it when was the last Oba body carried , and why are you all carrying different rumours, some say it is head you say body. Me say prick now cheesy cheesy
That's a good point you raised. I respect people who use their brain.
Not everything can be proven
Re: Prince Eheneden Picks New Name by BornStunner1: 4:30pm On Oct 20, 2016
fatiaforreal:
I will ignore your uncultured manners. We need intellectual cum historical contributions. Tell us the history of the bonus.

YEEEEEEEEE HISTORY OF THE BONUS!!!
MY HEADDD OOI SOMEBODY HELP OOO

THIS YORUBA BOY DONE FINISH MY HEAD WITH GBAGAAAAUN!!! DIS HOT AFTERNOON
CHISOS!!
Re: Prince Eheneden Picks New Name by BornStunner1: 4:31pm On Oct 20, 2016
ENDTIMEgist:

So you are if you conquer a place today you would leave your son of less than 10 years to rule The place?.
@BornStunner1 I lie

nor mind dat boy jaare

You spoke the truth!!
Re: Prince Eheneden Picks New Name by fatiaforreal: 4:31pm On Oct 20, 2016
ENDTIMEgist:

@BornStunner1 I lie
Good point.
He founded old Oyo kingdom too.
He left his son Ajaka and returned home. HOME, not Benin but ILE IFE.
Re: Prince Eheneden Picks New Name by fatiaforreal: 4:37pm On Oct 20, 2016
Who is this BornStuner1 PR whatever?
I don't engage people with intellectual aridity. You have contributed nothing apart insult to the discussion. Take a queue fro your learned brother ENDTIMEgist or you keep quiet. This discuss is obviously above you shallow intellect.
Re: Prince Eheneden Picks New Name by fatiaforreal: 4:39pm On Oct 20, 2016
ENDTIMEgist:

@BornStunner1 I lie
Alexander the great also conquered Egypt and never stayed.
Re: Prince Eheneden Picks New Name by monex(m): 4:39pm On Oct 20, 2016
Onijagidijagan:

Not at all they same thing..as a yoruba person I can understand them all.

your tribe depends on your post.

yeye Troll ! grin grin
Re: Prince Eheneden Picks New Name by Nobody: 4:44pm On Oct 20, 2016
fatiaforreal:

Good point.
He founded old Oyo kingdom too.
He left his son Ajaka and returned home. HOME, not Benin but ILE IFE.

As against your claim of him conquering Benin; So you mean he conquered a Kingdom for a boy Less than 10years?
If he knew he was not staying there y conquer the place?
What you should agree to is the version of the story that say he was sent to Benin to rule, but he could not adapt to the place so after he gave birth to a child he left.
Because I can't suffer to conquer a place with great wall and stay a year or two and leave later to where I came from.
My village king came from a place in USELU and settle and started ruling later he had a clash with the Oba and he was defeated and he ran and the Oba married his daughter, it was his daughter first son for one that later became king
Re: Prince Eheneden Picks New Name by macof(m): 7:34pm On Oct 20, 2016
fatiaforreal:
So its funny when a Bini man claims Oba originated from Benin.
The palace is only trying to cover up the origin of the Oba to prevent a possible challenge to the dynasty by the aborigines led by Ogiamen. That's just the truth.

do you know the Ogiamien sued the bini chiefs and the crown prince to court for not paying the bills for the land he will rule after his coronation?

Ubenedictus. ..bokohala...

1 Like

Re: Prince Eheneden Picks New Name by Elebiju: 8:44am On Oct 21, 2016
Ubenedictus:
Dat is d issue on ground. benin says he came from benin, some say oke ora, some say mecca or sudan.
Oduduwa is a myth.
Re: Prince Eheneden Picks New Name by fatiaforreal: 9:45am On Oct 21, 2016
ENDTIMEgist:

As against your claim of him conquering Benin; So you mean he conquered a Kingdom for a boy Less than 10years?
If he knew he was not staying there y conquer the place?
What you should agree to is the version of the story that say he was sent to Benin to rule, but he could not adapt to the place so after he gave birth to a child he left.
Because I can't suffer to conquer a place with great wall and stay a year or two and leave later to where I came from.
My village king came from a place in USELU and settle and started ruling later he had a clash with the Oba and he was defeated and he ran and the Oba married his daughter, it was his daughter first son for one that later became king
Good morning my brother. Are we not brothers?
Alexander conquered Egypt and ruled in proxy, he never stayed.

He didn't return to Ife, he was directed by the oracle to found a new kingdom, close to the original location of old Ife. That was how old Oyo kingdom was founded. Later he decided to return home, Ife, he installed his son Ajaka. He left his second son Sango, with his mother's people in Nupe.

A curious question. If Oranmiyan understood he was an Ogiso prince from Benin, why didn't he return and rule as an Ogiso in continuation of the dynasty. Why Oba?
Re: Prince Eheneden Picks New Name by fatiaforreal: 9:54am On Oct 21, 2016
macof:

do you know the Ogiamien sued the bini chiefs and the crown prince to court for not paying the bills for the land he will rule after his coronation?

Ubenedictus. ..bokohala...
The palace is aware of the public debate and they know the Ekiopagha Treaty is an acid test. He would be the first Oba of Benin not to pay, and if this goes to court, more secrets will be revealed. If the was just like any other rite he would have done it. You see why I was hammering on the treaty. His refusal to perform it is a victory in itself for our argument. The Oba is from Ife. Case closed.
Re: Prince Eheneden Picks New Name by fatiaforreal: 10:00am On Oct 21, 2016
Elebiju:
Oduduwa is a myth.
A honest commentator on this issue can sincerely say that. I'm a Yoruba man, but I know Oduduwa was mystified, and that is what the Binis are capitalizing on to replace one lie with another lie. Ekalerdahan transformation to Oduduwa is a huge fraud.

2 Likes

Re: Prince Eheneden Picks New Name by Elebiju: 11:23am On Oct 21, 2016
fatiaforreal:

A honest commentator on this issue can sincerely say that. I'm a Yoruba man, but I know Oduduwa was mystified, and that is what the Binis are capitalizing on to replace one lie with another lie. Ekalerdahan transformation to Oduduwa is a huge fraud.
I'm a Yoruba too and I've refused to accept that part.

1 Like

Re: Prince Eheneden Picks New Name by Nobody: 1:01pm On Oct 21, 2016
fatiaforreal:

He didn't return to Ife, he was directed by the oracle to found a new kingdom, close to the original location of old Ife. That was how old Oyo kingdom was founded. Later he decided to return home, Ife, he installed his son Ajaka. He left his second son Sango, with his mother's people in Nupe.

A curious question. If Oranmiyan understood he was an Ogiso prince from Benin, why didn't he return and rule as an Ogiso in continuation of the dynasty. Why Oba?

Hehehe your story still interest me, but not to make the talk longer than possible, because one thing is certain, you can't concur to my story, so I don't expect you to concur to mine. So let's all live and live.
You know your story I know mine.
It was nice having a chat with you.
Re: Prince Eheneden Picks New Name by fatiaforreal: 2:30pm On Oct 21, 2016
ENDTIMEgist:

Hehehe your story still interest me, but not to make the talk longer than possible, because one thing is certain, you can't concur to my story, so I don't expect you to concur to mine. So let's all live and live.
You know your story I know mine.
It was nice having a chat with you.
You're welcomed.
Re: Prince Eheneden Picks New Name by odigbosky(m): 5:27pm On Oct 21, 2016
fatiaforreal:

Bro, sorry to burst your bubble you are talking rubbish. The only time and the last time an invading force entered Benin was the british invasion. The last large scale attack that was brought very close to the seat of power was the igala attack. That attack did not cross the ikpoba river and it led to one of the bloodiest wars you can think of in ancient times, so I don't know where in heaven you are saw that Oronmiyan conquered Benin. Stop spreading lies from your region. The Nupe's I know came to prominence when an Igala prince called Tsoede became their king. The Igala's mainly trace their origin to the jukun empire, but their kingship they trace to two different sources. One is Benin, the other is Jukun, it is only the Igala kingship in North central Nigeria that was really using coral beads like their kinds in Benin. They claim the first Attah to be son of a Leopard. This is one reason some say he was from benin because the benin kings were called leopards. If not for oyo that became an empire, there was no other power in the south west that was like Benin in prestige and power so bros park well.
Re: Prince Eheneden Picks New Name by odigbosky(m): 5:52pm On Oct 21, 2016
fatiaforreal:

Some of your kins don't agree with the fact that oronmiyan after becoming the ruler of oyo left to become ooni of ife. I think this is where the whole issue of who is senior between alafin and ooni. Some of your kins say the ooni is just a chief priest and has no direct link to oduduwa. Also how do you expect Oronmiyan to come back to a place he left in frustration to come back and rule. The young prince did not think his son would even grow up to become king, but because he was a direct descendant of Ogiso Owodo and had been taught the ways of his fathers he could really establish himself well with the support of the people. It was something his father could not really do because he did not have any slight knowledge of how things worked in Benin. How could a conqueror leave his unborn son in the hands of the conquered. Eweka I grew with his maternal grand father the Enogie of Egor, who was already Enogie since the Ogiso times. As for what people call a treaty it was not a treaty, Oba Ewedo only gave ogiamen a very small portion of land to reduce the humilation they had suffered from their defeat at his hands. This utantan is just some few acres and it is just done as a remembrance of the events of Oba Ewedo just as the climbing of palm tree started with Oba Ewuare -I. So the Ogiamen is like a chief not even a king. The. Only time the kingdom was divided was when the kingdom of Udu was established by a grandson of Eweka I's daughter. Oba Eweka's son died without an heir so his younger brother was made king by Benin chiefs because you can't be king from your mother's line. The name of this prince is Elegbe, his father was from Iyekhorionwon, one of the most rugged and dugged areas of the kingdom. Elegbe was tricked out of Benin before this could be done, so when he got angry and decided to match against the capital, the chiefs hurriedly divided the kingdom and the Oba agreed to it and the kingdom of Udu was established. This kingdom lasted till it was reconquered by Oba Ehengbuda. So bro, when we talk history here in Benin, we know what we are. Saying and we don't need people like you coming to tell us stuffs that you have fabricated in your minds.
Re: Prince Eheneden Picks New Name by fatiaforreal: 12:51am On Oct 22, 2016
odigbosky:

Bro, sorry to burst your bubble you are talking rubbish. The only time and the last time an invading force entered Benin was the british invasion. The last large scale attack that was brought very close to the seat of power was the igala attack. That attack did not cross the ikpoba river and it led to one of the bloodiest wars you can think of in ancient times, so I don't know where in heaven you are saw that Oronmiyan conquered Benin. Stop spreading lies from your region. The Nupe's I know came to prominence when an Igala prince called Tsoede became their king. The Igala's mainly trace their origin to the jukun empire, but their kingship they trace to two different sources. One is Benin, the other is Jukun, it is only the Igala kingship in North central Nigeria that was really using coral beads like their kinds in Benin. They claim the first Attah to be son of a Leopard. This is one reason some say he was from benin because the benin kings were called leopards. If not for oyo that became an empire, there was no other power in the south west that was like Benin in prestige and power so bros park well.
A typical Bini boy garage mentality! You can learn some civility from your brother that has been chatting with me or you find your type. Notwithstanding, you know one or two things.
1)Tsoede is not Igala, but Nupe.
2) As a kingdom, you're right, but as a people it's the most ancient site of human civilization in this part of Africa, indeed only a couple in Southern Africa and Ethiopia are older
3) Oranmiyan invasion couldn't have been large scale. What was the size of the kingdom at that point in history? If you don't believe a Yoruba man it was an invasion, then ask the Ogiamen.
4)Do you know how close Ikpoba river is to the palace? An enemy that got as far as Ikpoba river certainly overran more than 3/4 of the kingdom itself. This is also the reason some Edo people live on hilltops.
5) There was no ancient civilization in Benin, it existed on the bank of river Niger and the Nok culture has been traced to it. Virtually every tribe originated from there which informs the relations in the languages and culture. Hausas invaded the region and interbred thousands of years later. Let us be humble enough to admit our common origin.
6) The Ijaws got to Benin before the Binis. Ijaw from Ujo, they named the place Ujo ama, meaning Ujo land that was corrupted to Usama. It remains the oldest place to be inhabited by humans in Edoland. Nupeland had existed thousands of years before Usama. The Binis were part and percel of this civilization, but were they known as Binis or Edo? No! They were the people known as EFA in that civilization. There was no Yoruba too but the people known as Kwa. The Kwa referred to that civilization as Ife and migrated from there to present day Ife and part of the Kwa people also moved in other direction, evolving into Igalas and other tribes. That's why you can say either Igala is from Yoruba or Yoruba is from Igala.
7)All these different tribes you see today evolved from that same civilization. The Tsoede you mentioned is what is corrupted into Oshodi or Oshodin in Benin. The Origin is Nupe not Benin.
cool Don't let us be carried away by sentiments, at the height of Benin Empire, it wasn't up to 1/3 of Sokoto Caliphate in landmass. It was tucked in the forest, shielded from the Caliphate by Oyo that bore the full brunt. A successful empire no doubt, Benin was not Sokoto Caliphate, it wasn't Songhai empire, it wasn't a Malli empire. It came up only as a result of the collapse of Oyo empire.
Re: Prince Eheneden Picks New Name by fatiaforreal: 1:57am On Oct 22, 2016
odigbosky:

Some of your kins don't agree with the fact that oronmiyan after becoming the ruler of oyo left to become ooni of ife. I think this is where the whole issue of who is senior between alafin and ooni. Some of your kins say the ooni is just a chief priest and has no direct link to oduduwa. Also how do you expect Oronmiyan to come back to a place he left in frustration to come back and rule. The young prince did not think his son would even grow up to become king, but because he was a direct descendant of Ogiso Owodo and had been taught the ways of his fathers he could really establish himself well with the support of the people. It was something his father could not really do because he did not have any slight knowledge of how things worked in Benin. How could a conqueror leave his unborn son in the hands of the conquered. Eweka I grew with his maternal grand father the Enogie of Egor, who was already Enogie since the Ogiso times. As for what people call a treaty it was not a treaty, Oba Ewedo only gave ogiamen a very small portion of land to reduce the humilation they had suffered from their defeat at his hands. This utantan is just some few acres and it is just done as a remembrance of the events of Oba Ewedo just as the climbing of palm tree started with Oba Ewuare -I. So the Ogiamen is like a chief not even a king. The. Only time the kingdom was divided was when the kingdom of Udu was established by a grandson of Eweka I's daughter. Oba Eweka's son died without an heir so his younger brother was made king by Benin chiefs because you can't be king from your mother's line. The name of this prince is Elegbe, his father was from Iyekhorionwon, one of the most rugged and dugged areas of the kingdom. Elegbe was tricked out of Benin before this could be done, so when he got angry and decided to match against the capital, the chiefs hurriedly divided the kingdom and the Oba agreed to it and the kingdom of Udu was established. This kingdom lasted till it was reconquered by Oba Ehengbuda. So bro, when we talk history here in Benin, we know what we are. Saying and we don't need people like you coming to tell us stuffs that you have fabricated in your minds.
A good piece of history, I read it too and agree with most of your points. However, as a genuine historian, you should be more focused on facts than where you came from. You must think out of the Bini box.
1) What made Ogiamen to challenge Square? What were the words he uttered to Square? These are salient pointers to the crux of the matter. Ogiamen told Ewuare to go back to Ife, the land of his fathers. At such an early period of the kingdom, can we say Ogiamen was not aware of your Ekalerdahan/Oduduwa transformation?
2) I laugh when you say you know your history. Can you write just a page of cogent points on pre Oduduwa Bini history. The only fabrication you know too well is Ekalerdahan that wandered into the bush and reappeared as a king in Ife. How logical is that to you? Modern history, with superior argument to the tales by moonlight story of Ekalerdahan shows Ife and Benin were conquered contrary to what you and I were taught from childhood. The beauty of education lies in your ability to rise above the pedestal of primordial loyalty in the face of empirical facts.
3)The Yorubas are from the Kwa people of the civilization on the bank of river Niger. They referred to it as Ife while those who remained and intermarried with later invaders in this same area, the Nupe referred to it as Nyuife which was corrupted into Nupe. A large portion of the Kwa people migrated downwards to found another Ife, Ife Ooyelagbo and named the Kingdom Ugbo. Upon arrival of Oduduwa, a war broke out. Some of the people moved downwards to present Igbokoda area in On do to found another Ugbo Kingdom. Some of them set up camp in Oke igbo from where they raided Ife for so long.
Oduduwa transformed Ife to the first city state in the southern part of Nigeria. About this same period too, members of Oduduwa entourage in the migration through Sudan to Nupe founded Borgu kingdom while the Igalas had evolved from the Kwa people that didn't migrate to second Ife.

NOW, I CHALLENGE YOU! GIVE A NARRATIVE OF BINI PEOPLE PRIOR TO EKALERDAHAN IF INDEED YOU KNOW YOUR HISTORY. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Prince Eheneden Picks New Name by odigbosky(m): 2:18am On Oct 22, 2016
fatiaforreal:

A typical Bini boy garage mentality! You can learn some civility from your brother that has been chatting with me or you find your type. Notwithstanding, you know one or two things.
1)Tsoede is not Igala, but Nupe.
2) As a kingdom, you're right, but as a people it's the most ancient site of human civilization in this part of Africa, indeed only a couple in Southern Africa and Ethiopia are older
3) Oranmiyan invasion couldn't have been large scale. What was the size of the kingdom at that point in history? If you don't believe a Yoruba man it was an invasion, then ask the Ogiamen.
4)Do you know how close Ikpoba river is to the palace? An enemy that got as far as Ikpoba river certainly overran more than 3/4 of the kingdom itself. This is also the reason some Edo people live on hilltops.
5) There was no ancient civilization in Benin, it existed on the bank of river Niger and the Nok culture has been traced to it. Virtually every tribe originated from there which informs the relations in the languages and culture. Hausas invaded the region and interbred thousands of years later. Let us be humble enough to admit our common origin.
6) The Ijaws got to Benin before the Binis. Ijaw from Ujo, they named the place Ujo ama, meaning Ujo land that was corrupted to Usama. It remains the oldest place to be inhabited by humans in Edoland. Nupeland had existed thousands of years before Usama. The Binis were part and percel of this civilization, but were they known as Binis or Edo? No! They were the people known as EFA in that civilization. There was no Yoruba too but the people known as Kwa. The Kwa referred to that civilization as Ife and migrated from there to present day Ife and part of the Kwa people also moved in other direction, evolving into Igalas and other tribes. That's why you can say either Igala is from Yoruba or Yoruba is from Igala.
7)All these different tribes you see today evolved from that same civilization. The Tsoede you mentioned is what is corrupted into Oshodi or Oshodin in Benin. The Origin is Nupe not Benin.
cool Don't let us be carried away by sentiments, at the height of Benin Empire, it wasn't up to 1/3 of Sokoto Caliphate in landmass. It was tucked in the forest, shielded from the Caliphate by Oyo that bore the full brunt. A successful empire no doubt, Benin was not Sokoto Caliphate, it wasn't Songhai empire, it wasn't a Malli empire. It came up only as a result of the collapse of Oyo empire.

I am going to take my time to try and give you details and only hope you can understand because I don't know the history books you have been reading.

1) The Tsoede I read about is said to be an Igala prince that formed the Nupes into a kingdom. Just as an Edo prince established the kingdom in Eko and same in warri.
2) I thought one of the most ancient in Nigeria and west africa is the NOK civilization in the Plateau not the Nupes at all. Infact the monoliths in cross river states dates far back to years before most of the kingdoms in what we call Nigeria started forming. So I don't know how Nupe has become the oldest civilization all of a sudden.
3) Since the history of the Benin-ife relations, the argument of Oronmiyan being the conqueror of Benin has never stood. Even your people say Oduduwa sent one of his sons to rule Benin. You only send someone to rule on your behalf when you have conquered. Son from your own argument, who conquered Benin, Oduduwa or Oronmiyan
4) It is shocking to see how someone who has no knowledge about the geographical details of a place starts writing stuffs about it. Did you know that as the early 1960's Benin did not cross the main place you call Oguola. Now, Oba Oguola built a moat around benin, that moat is about 15mins drive from the palace. Do you know that people leaving in the hamlets of aduwawa usually before crossing the ikpoba river called the other side, the ogbe area as Edo(Benin). Infact the main stretch of the ikpoba river is a dukedom of its own called Uteh. if you read about the Ogiso dynasty it will tell you that many ogisos came from various hamlets. Do you know that Useh is less than 30mins drive from the palace. Even Egor, yet these whole places are now what we call Benin due to rapid expansion. Even Uselu was a village. So it was the main Ogbe axis that was called Edo by the people leaving around that Ogbe. So when they say the Igala attack did not even cross the ikpoba river as at then, try and think about the distance frm Ogbe to the ikpoba river on foot. You can only know this if you know Benin. So the Igala attack did not cause Edos to live on hill tops, infact Edo people in Edo north where already leaving there in lowlands since the time of Ewuare I. Read about the histories of towns like Agenebode, okpella and many more. If Edo people ran to hill tops it was later in the 18th century when the Nupe's raided northern fringes of the land for slaves and this was stopped by Esan Warriors. Now the slave route, is if you can imagine the present Benin-Abuja road and try and see the areas largely affected by islam in the Edo north senatorial district. You will see that they are mainly hamlets along this present road and many other hamlets in the interior never had contact with the Nupes at all, and as at that time Benin was no longer a kingdom, it was an Empire. Remember the empire started at about the mid 14th century until the british ended it.
5) Bros Benin has never, ever existed close to the river Niger, it is kingdoms like that of the Igalas, Asaba, and onitsha that did and in Asaba and onitsha both had migrations from Benin you can read about that your self. The ruling house of Onitsha testifies of it. Not that they even migrated from Benin directly (ogbe axis) they migrated from various hamlets in what is now referred to the aniocha lands in present delta state which were all parts of the growing kingdom of igodomigodo until the name was changed to Edo. We never called ourselves or the empire Benin. Yes we all came from a place, I cnt deny that fact.
6) Bro you are the one telling me about this ijaw stuff, the ijaws are riverine people, Benin is not riverine. Even the ijaws don't even claim what you are claiming. I don't know where you are generating this EFA stuffs from. I also know that the KWA is used in describing groups of langauges in the Niger-congo basin of which the yoruba, edo, igbo, and many other dialects are parts of.
7) This one really is the height of all your fabrication, Oshodin originating from Tsoede. Bro you need to read about Benin Palace life and how things worked.
coolFor you to come out and lie like this, you are courageous, that the Benin empire came as a result of the collapse of the oyo empire. You can't compare sokoto with Benin. Both was great in its own sphere. You can compare Songhai, Mali, ancient Ghana and Sokoto because they originated from an area with very close features and they did arise from one's decline. The Only Empire in the south of what we call Nigeria apart from Benin was Oyo, Oyo was not even fully in the forest like Benin, she was at the Northern fringes of the forest, that's why she could operate in the grassland and in the forest as well. Benin was completely in the forest, and at the height of Oyo, Benin was also there in her own domain, both empires rose at their own pace almost at the same time. Oyo decline did not affect Benin, while Benin was a dominat power in the coasts, oyo could not boast of that. Please let's keep sentiments apart, try and see various maps used by early europeans who traded in the south west and south south, you will see how the empire really was.....

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Ooni Of Ife Arrives Awka In Grand Style For Obiano Inauguration- PICTURES / Igbo In The 1700's / King Nwachukwu Nashid Koleoso Karade Eri, Undergoing Spiritual Cleansing. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.