Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,593 members, 7,812,937 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:04 PM

Prince Eheneden Picks New Name - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Prince Eheneden Picks New Name (41647 Views)

Oba Of Benin Arrives Abuja In Style To Meet With Prince Charles. Photos / Ezelekhae Ewuare: The Crown Prince Of Benin Kingdom Unveiled In Edo (Photos) / Erediauwa Picks The Name "Oba Ewuare ii" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Prince Eheneden Picks New Name by KingOvoramwen1(m): 7:25pm On Oct 16, 2016
tno4real:

U are a fo*l for that statement, u this lazy usele*s yoruba boy

HAHAHAHAHA grin
Re: Prince Eheneden Picks New Name by enomakos(m): 7:25pm On Oct 16, 2016
MrPresident1:
When Omonoba is crowned, Ile-Ife will be his first port of call to visit and propitiate his fathers, then controversy will die forever.
ok
quote me when you see the oba in ife
Re: Prince Eheneden Picks New Name by KingOvoramwen1(m): 7:26pm On Oct 16, 2016
ianSweet:

When Ekiti people or Ikale people are talking Oshogbo or Ibadan people cannot understand.

DONT MIND THAT FOOCK BOY angry

I would love to take you out for a date baby wink

1 Like

Re: Prince Eheneden Picks New Name by ahkenaten(m): 7:28pm On Oct 16, 2016
KingOvoramwen1:

how about this?? Oduduwa is from bini, something happened and he left for ife, ....later his grandson oranmiyan, left ife for bini after much persuasion from bini people to oduduwa, and then he left for bini along with many yoruba cultures, and parts of their language and deities and including the title of oba, the oba title is something that oranmiyan's brothers have been using in their various territories before he left for bini. This is the most probable situation, oduduwa is not a yoruba man. Tho his grandson left for ife with yoruba cultures, and some artistry, like the sculptures, ife heads are older than bini heads, he left to bini his ancestral home with many new stuff.

1 Like

Re: Prince Eheneden Picks New Name by KingOvoramwen1(m): 7:28pm On Oct 16, 2016
tno4real:

They want to be part of Benin kingdom by force
ABI OOO!!

BUT WE REJECT THEM!!!!.............GODFORBID!!
Re: Prince Eheneden Picks New Name by ahkenaten(m): 7:29pm On Oct 16, 2016
What i mean by the artistry is the method of making the bronze heads ..not that the benin heads were carried from ife, take note wink
Re: Prince Eheneden Picks New Name by Legitman22(m): 7:30pm On Oct 16, 2016
Is dat man still a prince, i thought he should be address as a king.
Re: Prince Eheneden Picks New Name by ahkenaten(m): 7:32pm On Oct 16, 2016
A lot of changes happened when the new king got to bini, some of the ogiso tradition were scrapped, new stuffs came up, due to the influence he has had in yorubaland before returning home.
Re: Prince Eheneden Picks New Name by Nobody: 7:33pm On Oct 16, 2016
ianSweet:

When Ekiti people or Ikale people are talking Oshogbo or Ibadan people cannot understand.
Not at all they same thing..as a yoruba person I can understand them all.
Re: Prince Eheneden Picks New Name by ianSweet(f): 7:44pm On Oct 16, 2016
KingOvoramwen1:

major population?,WE BELIEVE IN FAMILY PLANNING NOT INDISCRIMINATE F*CKING OF UNDERAGE GIRLS ,the EDOS are after A STABLE PROGRESSIVE tribe". but ensuring material progress and preserving their culture in THIER CITY EDO STATE...

ARE YOU ENLIGHTENED NOW??

U seem to be angered and u are commenting unnecesarily. That is not an intelligent way to answer this question. You started this thread well by enlightening us only for you to start this.

Efikoroy:

Please,I am not Benin nether am I Yoruba. There are somethings that gets me worried about this supremacy battle.
1. Why is Benin population not anything close to the Yoruba race if indeed they were long in existence before the Yoruba race
2. If the Yoruba race is claiming superiority, why was Benin kingdom and history better documented than the Yoruba kingdoms.
I am here to learn please. I don't mean any insult.

Now to answer your question.
Edo may not be as populated as Yoruba because the Oyo empire conquered more people and territory than the Benin empire did and the Oyo people forced their language down on all their subjects and this is how the Oyo dialect of yoruba united all the other yoruba subgroups in Nigeria.

Benin on the other hand used to believe that their language and cultures were sacred and superior and should never be spoken by their subjects and this was the greatest mistake the bini kingdom made, they never enforced their language on their subjects.
Almost the whole of Edo state are descendants of Bini Kingdom, majority of Delta state ethnic groups also look up to Benin as their origin, many parts of Ondo and Rivers also look up to Edo as their origin, even Lagos too. Even the Onitsha people of Anambra state claim to have come from Benin and all these groups continued to pay their homage to Benin kingdom, many up to today.
Imagine if all these Benin descendants had retained their original language or a form of Edo which served as a lingua franca just as Oyo serve as a lingua franca among all yorubas, they would have been identified and classified as one ethnic group by the colonial masters and would have been probably over 20 million people in 5 different states now.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Prince Eheneden Picks New Name by ianSweet(f): 7:52pm On Oct 16, 2016
Efikoroy:

Please,I am not Benin nether am I Yoruba. There are somethings that gets me worried about this supremacy battle.
1. Why is Benin population not anything close to the Yoruba race if indeed they were long in existence before the Yoruba race
2. If the Yoruba race is claiming superiority, why was Benin kingdom and history better documented than the Yoruba kingdoms.

Now to answer your second question.
I think the Benin kingdom was better documented by the Europeans than Oyo kingdom because Benin kingdom was closer to the coastal areas than Oyo kingdom which was further in the hinterlands.
There is a kingdom called KWARARAFA in Taraba state and this kingdom was one of the greastest in West Africa and arguably among the greatest in Nigeria, but this kingdom did not receive much recognition by the Europeans due to it's location which was deep down in the rough topography of the middlebelt region, to know the greatness of the Kwararafa kingdom, most tribes from Benue, Kogi, Taraba, Nasarawa, Niger, Adamawa, Platean and Cross river states claim to originate from this kingdom, of which i am one.
Do u know that many Edo traditions actually came from the white men? Not just Edo alone, many Niger deltans including ur own Efik people incorporated white cultural attires into your own cultural attires, e.g the Bowlers hat of Ijaws and Deltans, the white robes of Benin chiefs from European Reverend fathers e.t.c.
So the Europeans had a greater contact with the coastal people than those of the hinter lands hence Edo getting better recognition than Oyo.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Prince Eheneden Picks New Name by Elderniercri(m): 7:53pm On Oct 16, 2016
Onijagidijagan:
When will the crown prince of benin pay is respect to the king of all Obas I.e the Great Ooni of Ife?
This guy below me dey daft sha
you nr kuku get sense...none of una whack king reach d Oba of benin, those political position dy use court cases chase each oda. Due 2 d number of families producing ur king, he's rada made a king...d OBA of BENIN is born a KING

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Prince Eheneden Picks New Name by KingOvoramwen1(m): 7:55pm On Oct 16, 2016
ianSweet:

U seem to be angered and u are commenting unnecesarily. That is not an intelligent way to answer this question. You started this thread well by enlightening us only for you to start this.

Edo may not be as populated as Yoruba because the Oyo empire conquered more people and territory than the Benin empire did and the Oyo people forced their language down on all their subjects and this is how the Oyo dialect of yoruba united all the other yoruba subgroups in Nigeria.

Benin on the other hand used to believe that their language and cultures were sacred and superior and should never be spoken by their subjects and this was the greatest mistake the bini kingdom made, they never enforced their language on their subjects.
Almost the whole of Edo state are descendants of Bini Kingdom, majority of Delta state ethnic groups also look up to Benin as their origin, many parts of Ondo and Rivers also look up to Edo as their origin, even Lagos too. Even the Onitsha people of Anambra state claim to have come from Benin and all these groups continued to pay their homage to Benin kingdom, many up to today.
Imagine if all these Benin descendants had retained their original language or a form of Edo which served as a lingua franca just as Oyo serve as a lingua franca among all yorubas, they would have been identified and classified as one ethnic group by the colonial masters and would have been probably over 20 million people in 5 different states now.

You are my wife on this thread today grin wink

LOVE YOUR COMMENT BY THE WAY.........YOU HIT THE NAIL IN THE RITE PLACES!

1 Like

Re: Prince Eheneden Picks New Name by ianSweet(f): 8:00pm On Oct 16, 2016
Onijagidijagan:

Not at all they same thing..as a yoruba person I can understand them all.

Yes u can. If Bini people are speaking, an Esan person can pick up many words but he may not understand everything, likewise an Afemai can pick up Esan words.
Even among the Afemais they all dont understand each other, Owan people do not understand Etsako completely, but they can pick some words if they listen well, even within the Etsako people they dont speak the same thing, Auchi people will not understand many things from what Agenebode and Okpella speak. Even Agenebode and Okpella in the same Etsako east LGA have very strong differences and do not understand each other and they may even speak English with each other. I schooled in Edo state, the problem is that Edo people never had a central unifying dialect or lingua franca like the Yoruba speakers had Oyo dialect as the unifying dialect. This is the weakness of Edo, but there are so much similarities in their words even down to the Urhobos, Isokos, Itsekiris, Ikas and Ndokwas of Delta state, they have similar words as Edo descendants.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Prince Eheneden Picks New Name by KingOvoramwen1(m): 8:00pm On Oct 16, 2016
Elderniercri:
you nr kuku get sense...none of una whack king reach d Oba of benin, those political position dy use court cases chase each oda. Due 2 d number of families producing ur king, he's rada made a king...d OBA of BENIN is born a KING

THE ONE AND ONLY TRUE KING MY BROTHER!!!!

1 Like

Re: Prince Eheneden Picks New Name by Smooyis(m): 8:05pm On Oct 16, 2016
KingOvoramwen1:
Firstly , I wold like to let you know the meaning of ‘OBA ’, ‘O ba’ or ‘Noba ‘in Edo language .
- Baa or ba means ‘to shine ’
- O’ baa means ‘it ’s shining ’ or ‘he / she is shining ’
- Noba means the ‘ colour ‘red ’ or in a phrasal verb N’Oba meaning ‘the one that shines ’
The last one N’Oba will be more relevant to the explanation below .
The name , title or word is NOT A YORUBA WORD. After a series of events that led to the death of Ogiso Owodo , the departure of Ekaladerhan ( heir apparent) and the emergence of Evian as the temporary head or Ogie of Igodomigodo , the kingdom was going through tough time ranging from the struggle for power amongst different groups . The Kingdom was plagued with famine , sickness and diseases . There was exodus of people from Igodo . The people attributed these to the anger of the gods as regard the injustice done to Ekaladerhan and the activities going on then. This made Oliha to lead a party to bring back Ekaladerhan who was rumoured to be alive in Uhe( Ife ) . Oliha and is party technically succeeded by bringing back Oranmiyan who was one of the Sons of Ekaladerhan (Oduduwa) to Igodomigodo .
Omonoyan (Oranmiyan ) met strong resistance from Ogiamien and his supporters. He relocated back to the land he was used to since he wasn ’t able to cope with the ongoing turmoil in his fatherland and left behind a child he had with the daughter of Enogie of Ogida , Eweka .
After Eweka became of age to assume the throne of his forefathers, he was still being challenged by Ogiamien and his supporters . Many wars were fought between them to enforce their authority as the sole head of the Igodomigodo Kingdom . After several years of warfare , Ogiemien finally conceded the head of the Kingdom to Eweka .
Note that during the reign of Ogiamien as the head of the Kingdom , The name Oba was already being used to refer to Eweka by his supporters as ‘omo no do baa n ’Igodo ’ or ‘Omo n ’ obaa n ’ Igodo ’ meaning ‘the child that came to shine for Igodomigo ‘ or ‘the child that shines for Igodomigodo ’. Then he has not yet adopted the name Eweka as his Kingship name. Some simply referred to him as ‘ Omo ’ in a short form. So , after the truce reached between him and Ogiemien , the people still referred to him as the child that have come to shine for the Kingdom and brought peace and prosperity to the Land and felt he should adopt the name as his title . The name was finally adopted as his Title for the King of Igodomigodo considering the events that led to his emergence . (omo n ’ obaa n ’Igodomigodo in Edo language and the short form, Oba ).
In view of the above , it is logical to say the word Oba was first used to describe the new king to be by those around him and the people of Igodomigodo . This was later adopted and used to refer to the King of Igodomigodo . The name was later changed from ‘omo n ’oba n ’ Igodomigodo ’ to ‘omo n ’oba n ’Edo ’ after Oba Ewuare changed the name of the Kingdom (empire) to Edo .
Finally , I hereby conclude that the true meaning of the word Oba is in the literary meaning and the full pronunciation of the sentence ‘Omo n ’ oba n ’ Edo ’ .
NB
• Ukpon Noba (Red Cloth ) was adopted to emphasize the significance of the new title of the monarchy .
• Also note that during the Ogiso dynasty , there was an Ogiso named Ogiso Obagodo . Obagodo literarily means ‘he ’s shining very bright ’ . This is to buttress the points raised above as regard the true origin of the word Oba.
• I have come to understand that Edo /Benin history can best be explained in the names given to places , persons and traditional titles and idiomatic expressions which still exist up till date .
Benin ' Obaship' as a devine essence.
In Benin Kingdom , Edo State , South South Nigeria, its highly revered monarch , referred to, as Oba , stands alone in the hierarchy of mortals . Within the Benin cosmos , he has no equal. As the royal head of the Benin Kingdom , the Oba has in pl .. .ace what historians describe as “ a sophisticated administrative system with a substantial spiritual component” because the departed Obas and God are consulted as a matter of routine in the running of the kingdom . The monarch’ s palace located in Ogbe Quarters in the heart of Benin metropolis is hailed as an architectural masterpiece . It showcases the indigenous civil engineering skills of the Benin people, just as it is said to reveal the creative uses to which the magnetic Ulakpa red soil, regarded as unique to the people of Benin , can be put to.
To people of Benin origin , it is said that the Oba is not only God’ s chief representative on earth; all his subjects consider him as ‘god ’. “ It is for this reason the Binis say : Oba o re Osanubua nagbon , meaning “ The Oba is a god man or the god on the human world ”). According to High Priest Osemwegie Ebohon , Benin oral tradition says that the Oba has a divine essence and so is the godhead of his people. “ Invariably , he leads the worship of all deities in the land whether or not he is physically present ” , he added . In practical terms, this means that all traditional prayers in the kingdom said with kola nut begin with the Oba and end with “ Long may the Oba reign” . Secondly , when several persons are gathered , the Benin man in the group is spiritually senior to everyone present because he is considered by Bini culture as godhead representative of the Oba . Therefore , the responsibility of offering prayers for the group automatically falls on him. ”
In ancient times , the Oba was not just the spiritual leader of the Benin Kingdom . He also had civil , social and political authority over the people. He was the undisputed head of state and government of Benin Kingdom and commander- in -chief of the Benin Army . “ Today ,” in the words of Ebohon, “ even though the ancient glories of the Benin Kingdom are no more, the Oba still commands tremendous love , awe , reverence , authority , power and influence in Edoland . His words are still law in the kingdom and some ancient practices have been carried over to modern times . “ One of these practices is the salutation of the Binis. The general salutation is woven around the person of the Oba. For instance , the salutation follows this format : Ob ’ Owie, a combination of the words , Oba and Owie, literally means “ King of the morning” while its ordinary meaning is “ Good Morning” . Ob ’ Avan , whose literal meaning is “ King of the Afternoon” and ordinary meaning is “ Good Afternoon” , is derived from the words , Oba and Avan . Ob ’ Ota , literally meaning “ King of the Evening ” and “ Good Evening ” in its ordinary meaning , is coined from the words , Oba and Ota . However , it is not totally wrong to say that some customs and traditions of Bini have been abused as they relate to the Oba of Benin and the Benin heritage. The Isekhure (Chief Priest ) of Benin Kingdom , Chief Nosakhare Isekhure , speaking a few weeks ago for the Ihogbe of Benin Royal Family , who is custodians of Erhinmwindu Shrine , from which all authorities emerge , said there are three broad social gradings in Benin Kingdom , which still subsist today .

I can't stop laughing. Stop doing a guess work and find out the truth from the elders.
Re: Prince Eheneden Picks New Name by ianSweet(f): 8:08pm On Oct 16, 2016
KingOvoramwen1:

DONT MIND THAT FOOCK BOY angry

KingOvoramwen1:

You are my wife on this thread today grin wink
LOVE YOUR COMMENT BY THE WAY.........YOU HIT THE NAIL IN THE RITE PLACES!

Thanks for the compliments.

1 Like

Re: Prince Eheneden Picks New Name by fishbone11(m): 9:09pm On Oct 16, 2016
KingOvoramwen1:

HAHAHAHA I SWEAR U GO JUST KILL DAT FOOCK BOY...
NOR WORRY BRO OSANOBUA GO BLESS YOUR HUSTLE SURELY!
Thank u my Oga....Eghe ró (time no dey)
Re: Prince Eheneden Picks New Name by fishbone11(m): 9:11pm On Oct 16, 2016
KingOvoramwen1:

HAHAHAHA I SWEAR U GO JUST KILL DAT FOOCK BOY...
NOR WORRY BRO OSANOBUA GO BLESS YOUR HUSTLE SURELY!
Re: Prince Eheneden Picks New Name by macof(m): 9:18pm On Oct 16, 2016
KingOvoramwen1:
Firstly , I would like to let you know the meaning of ‘OBA ’, ‘O ba’ or ‘Noba ‘in Edo language .
- Baa or ba means ‘to shine ’
- O’ baa means ‘it ’s shining ’ or ‘he / she is shining ’
- Noba means the ‘ colour ‘red ’ or in a phrasal verb N’Oba meaning ‘the one that shines ’
The last one N’Oba will be more relevant to the explanation below .
The name , title or word is FORIEGN TO YORUBAS........ IT IS NOT A YORUBA WORD.

After a series of events that led to the death of Ogiso Owodo , the departure of Ekaladerhan ( heir apparent) and the emergence of Evian as the temporary head or Ogie of Igodomigodo , the kingdom was going through tough time ranging from the struggle for power amongst different groups . The Kingdom was plagued with famine , sickness and diseases . There was exodus of people from Igodo . The people attributed these to the anger of the gods as regard the injustice done to Ekaladerhan and the activities going on then. This made Oliha to lead a party to bring back Ekaladerhan who was rumoured to be alive in Uhe( Ife ) . Oliha and is party technically succeeded by bringing back Oranmiyan who was one of the Sons of Ekaladerhan (Oduduwa) to Igodomigodo .
Omonoyan (Oranmiyan ) met strong resistance from Ogiamien and his supporters. He relocated back to the land he was used to since he wasn ’t able to cope with the ongoing turmoil in his fatherland and left behind a child he had with the daughter of Enogie of Ogida , Eweka .
After Eweka became of age to assume the throne of his forefathers, he was still being challenged by Ogiamien and his supporters . Many wars were fought between them to enforce their authority as the sole head of the Igodomigodo Kingdom . After several years of warfare , Ogiemien finally conceded the head of the Kingdom to Eweka .
Note that during the reign of Ogiamien as the head of the Kingdom , The name Oba was already being used to refer to Eweka by his supporters as ‘omo no do baa n ’Igodo ’ or ‘Omo n ’ obaa n ’ Igodo ’ meaning ‘the child that came to shine for Igodomigo ‘ or ‘the child that shines for Igodomigodo ’. Then he has not yet adopted the name Eweka as his Kingship name. Some simply referred to him as ‘ Omo ’ in a short form. So , after the truce reached between him and Ogiemien , the people still referred to him as the child that have come to shine for the Kingdom and brought peace and prosperity to the Land and felt he should adopt the name as his title . The name was finally adopted as his Title for the King of Igodomigodo considering the events that led to his emergence . (omo n ’ obaa n ’Igodomigodo in Edo language and the short form, Oba ).
In view of the above , it is logical to say the word Oba was first used to describe the new king to be by those around him and the people of Igodomigodo . This was later adopted and used to refer to the King of Igodomigodo . The name was later changed from ‘omo n ’oba n ’ Igodomigodo ’ to ‘omo n ’oba n ’Edo ’ after Oba Ewuare changed the name of the Kingdom (empire) to Edo .
Finally , I hereby conclude that the true meaning of the word Oba is in the literary meaning and the full pronunciation of the sentence ‘Omo n ’ oba n ’ Edo ’ .
NB
• Ukpon Noba (Red Cloth ) was adopted to emphasize the significance of the new title of the monarchy .
• Also note that during the Ogiso dynasty , there was an Ogiso named Ogiso Obagodo . Obagodo literarily means ‘he ’s shining very bright ’ . This is to buttress the points raised above as regard the true origin of the word Oba.
• I have come to understand that Edo /Benin history can best be explained in the names given to places , persons and traditional titles and idiomatic expressions which still exist up till date .
Benin ' Obaship' as a devine essence.
In Benin Kingdom , Edo State , South South Nigeria, its highly revered monarch , referred to, as Oba , stands alone in the hierarchy of mortals . Within the Benin cosmos , he has no equal. As the royal head of the Benin Kingdom , the Oba has in pl .. .ace what historians describe as “ a sophisticated administrative system with a substantial spiritual component” because the departed Obas and God are consulted as a matter of routine in the running of the kingdom . The monarch’ s palace located in Ogbe Quarters in the heart of Benin metropolis is hailed as an architectural masterpiece . It showcases the indigenous civil engineering skills of the Benin people, just as it is said to reveal the creative uses to which the magnetic Ulakpa red soil, regarded as unique to the people of Benin , can be put to.
To people of Benin origin , it is said that the Oba is not only God’ s chief representative on earth; all his subjects consider him as ‘god ’. “ It is for this reason the Binis say : Oba o re Osanubua nagbon , meaning “ The Oba is a god man or the god on the human world ”). According to High Priest Osemwegie Ebohon , Benin oral tradition says that the Oba has a divine essence and so is the godhead of his people. “ Invariably , he leads the worship of all deities in the land whether or not he is physically present ” , he added . In practical terms, this means that all traditional prayers in the kingdom said with kola nut begin with the Oba and end with “ Long may the Oba reign” . Secondly , when several persons are gathered , the Benin man in the group is spiritually senior to everyone present because he is considered by Bini culture as godhead representative of the Oba . Therefore , the responsibility of offering prayers for the group automatically falls on him. ”
In ancient times , the Oba was not just the spiritual leader of the Benin Kingdom . He also had civil , social and political authority over the people. He was the undisputed head of state and government of Benin Kingdom and commander- in -chief of the Benin Army . “ Today ,” in the words of Ebohon, “ even though the ancient glories of the Benin Kingdom are no more, the Oba still commands tremendous love , awe , reverence , authority , power and influence in Edoland . His words are still law in the kingdom and some ancient practices have been carried over to modern times . “ One of these practices is the salutation of the Binis. The general salutation is woven around the person of the Oba. For instance , the salutation follows this format : Ob ’ Owie, a combination of the words , Oba and Owie, literally means “ King of the morning” while its ordinary meaning is “ Good Morning” . Ob ’ Avan , whose literal meaning is “ King of the Afternoon” and ordinary meaning is “ Good Afternoon” , is derived from the words , Oba and Avan . Ob ’ Ota , literally meaning “ King of the Evening ” and “ Good Evening ” in its ordinary meaning , is coined from the words , Oba and Ota . However , it is not totally wrong to say that some customs and traditions of Bini have been abused as they relate to the Oba of Benin and the Benin heritage. The Isekhure (Chief Priest ) of Benin Kingdom , Chief Nosakhare Isekhure , speaking a few weeks ago for the Ihogbe of Benin Royal Family , who is custodians of Erhinmwindu Shrine , from which all authorities emerge , said there are three broad social gradings in Benin Kingdom , which still subsist today .

BornStunner1:

Benin, once known as Igodomigodo, was the kingdom of rulers who regarded themselves as sky-kings, those whose divine rule is derived from the sky – Ogiso. At the eclipse of this dynasty, there was still no authentic heir to the throne, Owodo; the last of the Ogisos was desperate for a successor. His only heir, Ekaladerhan, being the son of an unfavoured queen (Arukho), had little or no prospect of succeeding his father as he was entrapped in a web of palace intrigues with the sole aim of depriving him succeed his father.
A plot purported to be the wish of the gods was eventually hatched to eliminate him.
The executioners, sensing intrigue and betrayal, spared his life. He secretly sojourned westward into a community the Binis called Uhe (Ife). At Uhe (Ife), he assumed the title of Oduduwa (I have sought my path of prosperity).
Back home, the last of the Ogisos died without producing a heir to his throne. During the period of interregnum, a republican called Evian as administrator of the kingdom was succeeded by Ogiamien who became overzealous and ambitious. He wanted to perpetuate Evians hegemony in
Benin. In order to sustain the age old tradition of primogeniture, the elders resolved to set up a search party to trace the whereabouts of Ekaladerhan, the only surviving heir of Ogiso Owodo.
The elders, headed by Oliha, who were opposed to the overbearing nature of Ogiamien, were resolute to invite Ekaladerhan home to take over his rightful position as heir apparent. It became evident that the system of succession (father to son) had been the culture of the Binis since inception. It is therefore obvious there was an existing kingdom under the rule of the Ogisos before the establishment of Eweka I dynasty.
It is also beyond doubt that this practice had been with the Binis before the establishment of the present dynasty of which Erediauwa is the 38th Oba in an unbroken succession since Eweka I in 900AD.
A delegation of nobilities, under the leadership of Oliha, eventually arrived at Ile-Ife and implored Ekaladerhan to return to Benin. At the time the emissaries reached him, he yelled in excitement, ‘Ewore ka,’ meaning the nucleus or the source, heart or soul of the flow will never go dry. He was assured of his safety and the hope of making him the ruler of the kingdom. The aged prince refused the invitation and promised that he would rather delegate power to one of his sons.
*Oba of Benin
Ekaladerhan’s refusal to honour the elders’ invitation could be subject to many interpretations. Firstly, he must have become so old that he felt it unreasonable to move to Benin. Secondly, he had adapted himself to the culture of his new environment that he would prefer to remain.
He was, in fact, the leader of the community as a result of his ingenuity and prowess in all aspects of community enterprise.
Thirdly, he probably wanted to abide by the pledge he made that he would not set his foot on the Benin soil again.
However, Ekaladerhan entrusted his son, Oranmiyan, into the care of Oliha who had promised to ensure his protection. Oranmiyan’s reign in Benin was short-lived. His departure from Benin was dictated by two factors. One, he was greatly embarrassed by the opposition of Ogiamien and his adherents.
Two, Oranmiyan’s cultural background was in conflict with the custom and tradition of Binis.
On his way back to Ile-Ife, Oranmiyan had a short stay at Ego where he impregnated Erhinmwinde, the daughter of the Enogie. This affair resulted in the birth of Eweka 1.
Femi Fani Kayode’s write up in Sunday Vanguard of May 26, 2013 at pages 20-21 entitled, ‘Who are the Yoruba People?,’ was quite interesting.

Yet when European explores asked about your kingdom, you told them you owed Ife your throne. such contradictions

I used to think bini were proud people but that's just show. . you feel so inferior inside
I guess it's the Nigerian environment, the political intrigues. ..cus this hostility towards yoruba only began with Nigeria

Oba now means "shining " undecided that doesn't even make sense.
in Ife Obas have existed before the Ooni position was even created, Obas were the leaders of the communities Olofin Adimula later unified. Oba means person that rules. .."ba" is to rule or have dominion

you binis will only succeed in getting yoruba hate you...cus it's already beginning to disgust me how you lie
knowing that you observe oduduwa festival, not Ekaladerhan festival. ..this oduduwa festival .... In your own bini city you call your oba , son of oduduwa of ife, son of Adimula(Oduduwa's personal name..."oduduwa" being a term attached to him for his role in bringing a new Era...like oduduwa in the myth of creation) ....you fools don't call ur oba son of Ekaladerhan

in history you know your oba is not a son of Ekaladerhan but inferiority complex has eaten deep.

3 Likes

Re: Prince Eheneden Picks New Name by KingOvoramwen1(m): 9:23pm On Oct 16, 2016
fishbone11:

Eghe ro at all my brother grin
Re: Prince Eheneden Picks New Name by marylandcakes: 9:28pm On Oct 16, 2016
DIKEnaWAR:
Please what is the new name he picked? I can't read all that crap up there.

I am a christian and not interested in pagan worship

Why is it that Africans are so quick to throw away their culture. Traditions and cultures give you your identity. This is a coronation for crying out loud. The coronation of the queens and kings in the western world also follow traditions. It doesn't stop you from being a Christian.
Re: Prince Eheneden Picks New Name by marylandcakes: 9:29pm On Oct 16, 2016
Let us celebrate our rich culture.
Re: Prince Eheneden Picks New Name by AnonymousG: 9:35pm On Oct 16, 2016
macof:

Yet when European explores asked about your kingdom, you told them you owed Ife your throne. such contradictions

I used to think bini were proud people but that's just show. . you feel so inferior inside
I guess it's the Nigerian environment, the political intrigues. ..cus this hostility towards yoruba only began with Nigeria

in Ife Obas have existed before the Ooni position was even created, Obas were the leaders of the communities Olofin Adimula later unified. Oba means person that rules. .."ba" is to rule or have dominion

you binis will only succeed in getting yoruba hate you...cus it's already beginning to disgust me how you lie
knowing that you observe oduduwa festival, not Ekaladerhan festival. ..this oduduwa festival .... In your own bini city you call your oba , son of oduduwa of ife, son of Adimula(Oduduwa's personal name..."oduduwa" being a term attached to him for his role in bringing a new Era...like oduduwa in the myth of creation) ....you fools don't call ur oba son of Ekaladerhan

in history you know your oba is not a son of Ekaladerhan but inferiority complex has eaten deep.
Easy on them niggur, let them keep wailing. i repeat, their forefathers know their roots. all these tiny kids know no shiiiit. grin

1 Like

Re: Prince Eheneden Picks New Name by EDhims(m): 9:39pm On Oct 16, 2016
AnonymousG:
[size=15pt]The 3 Major Tribes in Nigeria,

YORUBA___HAUSA___IGBO[/size]

Please is BENIN ever mentioned being there? That explains a lot. you Benin dogs are just ranting due to inferiority complex and its understandable.
Oga think well
WAZOBIA isn't it? or its VARIZOBIA you were taught, lmao!
grin grin grin
On what ground were they named 3 major tribes in Nigeria, don't tell me its based on dynasty superiority grin
Re: Prince Eheneden Picks New Name by arazanbal: 9:45pm On Oct 16, 2016
macof:

that una ooni of ife wy b tourist na u wnt take compare the crown price of benin kingdom? Dt una ooni wy go visit obafemi matins d footballer nd even dy take selfy with am anyhow like 2morow nor dy,when dm dy talk am 4 bini say oba nor dy go transfer u tink say na joke!!! Nor go dr oo,the binis 2get swagg o

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Prince Eheneden Picks New Name by Ubenedictus(m): 10:05pm On Oct 16, 2016
EDhims:

On what ground were they named 3 major tribes in Nigeria, don't tell me its based on dynasty superiority grin
ofcuz not, it is based on population.
Re: Prince Eheneden Picks New Name by Ubenedictus(m): 10:07pm On Oct 16, 2016
Legitman22:
Is dat man still a prince, i thought he should be address as a king.
he hasn't completed his coronation rites. by next week he should be king.
Re: Prince Eheneden Picks New Name by KingOvoramwen1(m): 10:12pm On Oct 16, 2016
arazanbal:

that una ooni of ife wy b tourist na u wnt take compare the crown price of benin kingdom? Dt una ooni wy go visit obafemi matins d footballer nd even dy take selfy with am anyhow like 2morow nor dy,when dm dy talk am 4 bini say oba nor dy go transfer u tink say na joke!!! Nor go dr oo,the binis 2get swagg o

HAHAHA NOR MIND DEM SMELLiNS
Re: Prince Eheneden Picks New Name by Ubenedictus(m): 10:16pm On Oct 16, 2016
Efikoroy:

There was a people in nigeria a very ancient tribe, called d nok people. they are nowhere today. italy once controlled the entire world yet they arent the most populated today, before that the greeks were controling the world even though today they are one small country.

edo used to control large parts of d south west and south south and many tribes trace their origin to bini yet today they are a small state.
Re: Prince Eheneden Picks New Name by Ihuomadinihu: 11:14pm On Oct 16, 2016
Oh Boy! These groups and their complex repertoire of history. At the end of the day,they end up confusing themselves and other nairalands. I've tried to read up on Oduduwa and Ife and there are conflicting tales surronding it. Phew!
It feels good to be Igbo and mostly simple and republican in nature. No igbo has the time for this uncordinated,extensive recollection of history, moreso,when it involves intense arguments over the real origin of a certain larger than life personality.
Anyway,i wanted to correct an impression. The word 'Oba' might represent a Ruler in Benin and Yoruba language that doesn't mean both groups can claim to be originators of the word.
In Igbo language, 'Oba' stands for a number of things. Don't be surprised to find regular women bearing oba back in the days.
Just like no group can exclusively claim the word 'Ife'.
Ife mean something entirely different in Igbolanguage.
Let Oba represent your ruler and other things in Igbo language. No one has the right to make exclusive claims to it.

1 Like

Re: Prince Eheneden Picks New Name by Mccullum: 11:39pm On Oct 16, 2016
It was Oranmiyan that established Obaship in Benin because Ogisoship was a system of govt that the most older person will be on throne of authority but it stopped when the last Ogiso planned to enthroned his son as successor which caused the destruction of the system as headers that expecting their turns against it while there's a vacuum for long, eventually.. they arranged for having new leader from Oduduwa to send some one to them, his death couldn't gave them hope again without knowing that he'd appointed his son Oranmiyan to established obaship system of ruling over them and that's the beginning of monarchical dynasty in Benin.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

African Medieval Military Systems Pre-colonial / Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? / African-americans Trace Roots To Igbo Land

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.