Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,563 members, 7,812,823 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:02 PM

What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? (21330 Views)

What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? / Daddy Freeze: "Pastor Said I Will Die In 24 Months Over Tithe, Free The Sheeple" / What Does The Name Jesus Mean To You? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by Abuzed1(m): 10:31am On Oct 23, 2016
gj22:

That's the thing about being supreme. Our archaic logic does not apply to him because he is almighty and we r mere mortals
but to sacrifice himself for us......HOW CAN THE ALMIGHTY SACRIFICE HIMSELF....
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by shabakm: 10:31am On Oct 23, 2016
Splinz:
Certainly yes, Jesus did declared Himself God, and indeed He is!

Here is the unmistakably prove of it: "God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'I AM has sent me to you.'" (Exodus 3:14). Also, this is another solid prove that Jesus Christ is the God of the Old Testament.
bross is like you dont understand bible jesus has never declared his a God because according to bible Matthew 19 vs 16-17 i court . now behold one came and said to jesus good master what shall i do to have eternal life. jesus said to him why do you call me good? no one is good but one that is God. according to bible jesus is a servant of God. in the book of acts 3 vs13 the God of abraham, isaac, and jacob, the God of our fathers, glorified His servant jesus whom you delivered up and denied inin the presence of pilate, when he was determined to let him go.

1 Like

Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by baykins001(m): 10:31am On Oct 23, 2016
I believe u are just misinterpreting and missunderstanding the word, exodus 3 vs 14, is talk about God who was,who is, who will be n who will forever be....while john 8 vs 58 is talking about the pre existence of jesus christ. Who have been chosen before the foundation of the earth......shalom
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by Orikinla(m): 10:34am On Oct 23, 2016
John 14:9 Jesus answered: "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'?
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by iyke484real(m): 10:41am On Oct 23, 2016
atoleybaba:
egbon calm down and reason is it logical to be a father and d same time son of urself? Y are u making it look like a daft person wrote the bible for stupid people....u are d reason y people become atheist ahn ahn....God is not stupid and wrote d bible for it to be understandable and not twisted as u are putting....all in d name of ur clergy men trying to cover up their wring teaching that Jesus is God dy bring stupid ideology that is not even in d bible....egbon be humble enough ooh sorry u are too blinded by ur religious leaders if not u ought to just accept a change in ur old belief. Jesus isn't God he is the son of God....God doesn't av a beginning and no end. Jesus has a beginning Buh no end.
bro. Things of the spirit are not of logics... you using thesame logics of your forefathers when they foolishly cruxified Jesus.
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by Splinz(m): 10:41am On Oct 23, 2016
atoleybaba:
typical way of ending a conversation when u can't defend urself..just stop teaching false things so God anger wont be on u
Hmm. I repeat, go ahead and wallow in your ignorance. You deserve it after all.
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by chacoonder(m): 10:47am On Oct 23, 2016
Splinz:
Certainly yes, Jesus did declared Himself God, and indeed He is!

Here is the unmistakably prove of it: "God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'I AM has sent me to you.'" (Exodus 3:14). Also, this is another solid prove that Jesus Christ is the God of the Old Testament.
My friend, Jesus is not the Almighty God...or how can a god be praying to himself?

2 Likes

Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by 247glorious(f): 10:48am On Oct 23, 2016
Brigham:
One funny observation about the major theme of Christianity is that it's self defeating.

Why should an 'all powerful' god have to sacrifice 'himself' to 'himself' before men could be forgiven.

That's magnanimous
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by 247glorious(f): 10:50am On Oct 23, 2016
[quote author=Brigham post=50308533]One funny observation about the major theme of Christianity is that it's self defeating.

Why should an 'all powerful' god have to sacrifice 'himself' to 'himself' before men would be saved.

God is 3 in 1, and there was need for ransom for sins hence Christ paid the price.
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by Eberex(m): 10:51am On Oct 23, 2016
there is a question you people are not asking. of all the prophets from old testament to new testament, none have ever used that word.

what they say is "the Lord says", or " thus says the Lord". Jesus didn't follow that pattern, he tells them as if he was the one making the rules and laws. I AM the light of the world......I AM the good shepherd etc.

Jesus is God's only begotten son.
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by atoleybaba(m): 11:03am On Oct 23, 2016
Splinz:

Hmm. I repeat, go ahead and wallow in your ignorance. You deserve it after all.
same to u bro. grin
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by TI1919(m): 11:09am On Oct 23, 2016
The creation of this topic shows that the op does not knows the truth about Christianity. You cannot know the truth here either.
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by iyke484real(m): 11:09am On Oct 23, 2016
Abuzed1:
but to sacrifice himself for us......HOW CAN THE ALMIGHTY SACRIFICE HIMSELF....
The most important reason that Jesus has to be God is that, if He is not God, His death would not have been sufficient to pay the penalty for the sins of the world (1 John 2:2). A created being, which Jesus would be if He were not God, could not pay the infinite penalty required for sin against an infinite God. Only God could pay such an infinite penalty. Only God could take on the sins of the world (2 Corinthians 5:21), die, and be resurrected, proving His victory over sin and death.
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by Splinz(m): 11:11am On Oct 23, 2016
shabakm:
bross is like you dont understand bible jesus has never declared his a God because according to bible Matthew 19 vs 16-17 i court . now behold one came and said to jesus good master what shall i do to have eternal life. jesus said to him why do you call me good? no one is good but one that is God. according to bible jesus is a servant of God. in the book of acts 3 vs13 the God of abraham, isaac, and jacob, the God of our fathers, glorified His servant jesus whom you delivered up and denied inin the presence of pilate, when he was determined to let him go.
Brother, I speak what I know and sure of. If you care to know and will humble yourself, I can conveniently prove to you right in the Bible that Jesus created all things there is today- He's God, co-existing with the Father from the beginning.

You don't have to quote scriptures out of context to justify ignorance. I expected you to make sense of Exodus 3:14 and John 8:58. Note, the "I AM" is the context.

Until you can make sense of it, you don't really have a case.
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by atoleybaba(m): 11:13am On Oct 23, 2016
iyke484real:
bro. Things of the spirit are not of logics... you using thesame logics of your forefathers when they foolishly cruxified Jesus.
chief again I will say...d bible was written for humans and nott spirit....how will God write a book said to be for teaching, for reproving and for setting thing straight in a way someone can't decode it in human sense? Can Toyota give u a car manual u can't understands except u are a Toyota product guru? D bible is like a manual use to guide our daily life. And God gave us the book for our understanding... Why av u not thought bawt this. Unlike the Muslims(no disrespect) the Christians beelieve God wrote d bible thru men. Av u ever thought bawt d reason y? It was cause human writers would be able to project God's thought in written so we all can understand without problem....Buh false teachers try to turn d bible in this our modern Christianity and all in d process of using d bible to cover dre false teachings, hear that phrase that u use spirit to understand d bible. God gave us human examples in d bible cos we are humans and we can understand better....the bible likens God as a loving father who gives breads to his son....that is one example d bible use human examples to express God thought. So giving u human example to understand this is not wrong. When u read ur bible. God gave humans sense for one reason. To use it to discern things we accumulate in our head. When u read d bible use ur sense. Everything doesn't necessarily av to be spirit spirit spirit.
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by iyke484real(m): 11:14am On Oct 23, 2016
shabakm:
stop being deceived bro. I have this for you...

Question: "Is Jesus God? Did Jesus ever claim to be God?"

Answer: The Bible never records Jesus saying the precise words, “I am God.” That does not mean, however, that He did not proclaim that He is God. Take for example Jesus’ words in John 10:30, “I and the Father are one.” We need only to look at the Jews’ reaction to His statement to know He was claiming to be God. They tried to stone Him for this very reason: “You, a mere man, claim to be God” (John 10:33). The Jews understood exactly what Jesus was claiming—deity. When Jesus declared, “I and the Father are one,” He was saying that He and the Father are of one nature and essence. John 8:58 is another example. Jesus declared, “I tell you the truth … before Abraham was born, I am!” Jews who heard this statement responded by taking up stones to kill Him for blasphemy, as the Mosaic Law commanded (Leviticus 24:16).

John reiterates the concept of Jesus’ deity: “The Word [Jesus] was God” and “the Word became flesh” (John 1:1, 14). These verses clearly indicate that Jesus is God in the flesh. Acts 20:28 tells us, “Be shepherds of the church of God, which he bought with his own blood.” Who bought the church with His own blood? Jesus Christ. And this same verse declares that God purchased His church with His own blood. Therefore, Jesus is God!

Thomas the disciple declared concerning Jesus, “My Lord and my God” (John 20:28). Jesus does not correct him. Titus 2:13 encourages us to wait for the coming of our God and Savior, Jesus Christ (see also 2 Peter 1:1). In Hebrews 1:8, the Father declares of Jesus, “But about the Son he says, ‘Your throne, O God, will last forever and ever, and righteousness will be the scepter of your kingdom.’” The Father refers to Jesus as “O God,” indicating that Jesus is indeed God.

In Revelation, an angel instructed the apostle John to only worship God (Revelation 19:10). Several times in Scripture Jesus receives worship (Matthew 2:11; 14:33; 28:9, 17; Luke 24:52; John 9:38). He never rebukes people for worshiping Him. If Jesus were not God, He would have told people to not worship Him, just as the angel in Revelation did. There are many other passages of Scripture that argue for Jesus’ deity.

The most important reason that Jesus has to be God is that, if He is not God, His death would not have been sufficient to pay the penalty for the sins of the world (1 John 2:2). A created being, which Jesus would be if He were not God, could not pay the infinite penalty required for sin against an infinite God. Only God could pay such an infinite penalty. Only God could take on the sins of the world (2 Corinthians 5:21), die, and be resurrected, proving His victory over sin and death.
(Modify) (Quote) (Report) 1 Like 1 Share (Share)
Liked at 4:19pm On Oct 16:
Religion / Re: I Am A Muslim But I Love Jesus — Emir Sanusi by iyke484real(m): 1:36pm On Oct 16
ollah2:

Can someone throw more light to this

Answer: The Bible never records Jesus saying the precise words, “I am God.” That does not mean, however, that He did not proclaim that He is God. Take for example Jesus’ words in John 10:30, “I and the Father are one.” We need only to look at the Jews’ reaction to His statement to know He was claiming to be God. They tried to stone Him for this very reason: “You, a mere man, claim to be God” (John 10:33). The Jews understood exactly what Jesus was claiming—deity. When Jesus declared, “I and the Father are one,” He was saying that He and the Father are of one nature and essence. John 8:58 is another example. Jesus declared, “I tell you the truth … before Abraham was born, I am!” Jews who heard this statement responded by taking up stones to kill Him for blasphemy, as the Mosaic Law commanded (Leviticus 24:16).

John reiterates the concept of Jesus’ deity: “The Word [Jesus] was God” and “the Word became flesh” (John 1:1, 14). These verses clearly indicate that Jesus is God in the flesh. Acts 20:28 tells us,
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by atoleybaba(m): 11:15am On Oct 23, 2016
iyke484real:
bros. No vex oh! you sound like an athiest. are you sure you ar a christian?
athiest? Never am a christian. Deluded Christian who is blinded by what he is taught? No....just a christian who reads d bible and also taught d bible with logical proof and not spiritual proof
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by jossytech(m): 11:18am On Oct 23, 2016
Jesus never claimed to be on the same level as Almighty God. He said: “The Father is greater than I am.”—John 14:28.

Jesus’ early followers did not view him as being equal to Almighty God. For example, the apostle Paul wrote that after Jesus was resurrected, God “exalted him [Jesus] to a superior position.” Obviously, Paul did not believe that Jesus was Almighty God. Otherwise, how could God exalt Jesus to a superior position? —Philippians 2:9.

rhektor:

If you have their back up notes towards that effect please share it here if not don't ascribe any thing to jw let jw make their case

Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by iyke484real(m): 11:20am On Oct 23, 2016
atoleybaba:
chief again I will say...d bible was written for humans and nott spirit....how will God write a book said to be for teaching, for reproving and for setting thing straight in a way someone can't decode it in human sense? Can Toyota give u a car manual u can't understands except u are a Toyota product guru? D bible is like a manual use to guide our daily life. And God gave us the book for our understanding... Why av u not thought bawt this. Unlike the Muslims(no disrespect) the Christians beelieve God wrote d bible thru men. Av u ever thought bawt d reason y? It was cause human writers would be able to project God's thought in written so we all can understand without problem....Buh false teachers try to turn d bible in this our modern Christianity and all in d process of using d bible to cover dre false teachings, hear that phrase that u use spirit to understand d bible. God gave us human examples in d bible cos we are humans and we can understand better....the bible likens God as a loving father who gives breads to his son....that is one example d bible use human examples to express God thought. So giving u human example to understand this is not wrong. When u read ur bible. God gave humans sense for one reason. To use it to discern things we accumulate in our head. When u read d bible use ur sense. Everything doesn't necessarily av to be spirit spirit spirit.
nd if your sense is good enaugh kindly read this nd as you do God will bless you abondantly....

John reiterates the concept of Jesus’ deity: “The Word [Jesus] was God” and “the Word became flesh” (John 1:1, 14). These verses clearly indicate that Jesus is God in the flesh. Acts 20:28 tells us, “Be shepherds of the church of God, which he bought with his own blood.” Who bought the church with His own blood? Jesus Christ. And this same verse declares that God purchased His church with His own blood. Therefore, Jesus is God!

Thomas the disciple declared concerning Jesus, “My Lord and my God” (John 20:28). Jesus does not correct him. Titus 2:13 encourages us to wait for the coming of our God and Savior, Jesus Christ (see also 2 Peter 1:1). In Hebrews 1:8, the Father declares of Jesus, “But about the Son he says, ‘Your throne, O God, will last forever and ever, and righteousness will be the scepter of your kingdom.’” The Father refers to Jesus as “O God,” indicating that Jesus is indeed God.

In Revelation, an angel instructed the apostle John to only worship God (Revelation 19:10). Several times in Scripture Jesus receives worship (Matthew 2:11; 14:33; 28:9, 17; Luke 24:52; John 9:38). He never rebukes people for worshiping Him. If Jesus were not God, He would have told people to not worship Him, just as the angel in Revelation did. There are many other passages of Scripture that argue for Jesus’ deity.

Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by Splinz(m): 11:21am On Oct 23, 2016
chacoonder:
My friend, Jesus is not the Almighty God...or how can a god be praying to himself?
You want to learn or argue?
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by jossytech(m): 11:30am On Oct 23, 2016
HOME
BIBLE TEACHINGS

PUBLICATIONS

BIBLE
MAGAZINES
BOOKS & BROCHURES
MEETING WORKBOOKS
KINGDOM MINISTRY
MUSIC
DRAMAS
DRAMATIC BIBLE READINGS
VIDEOS
ONLINE LIBRARY
NEWSROOM

ABOUT US

Enter search text
Search
Advanced Search
Previous
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Next
Maintaining Commitment in Your Marriage
Was the Word “God” or “a god”?
READ IN

English
THE WATCHTOWER NOVEMBER 2008
Was the Word “God” or “a god”?

00:0003:25
THAT question has to be considered when Bible translators handle the first verse of the Gospel of John. In the New World Translation, the verse is rendered: “In the beginning the Word was, and the Word was with God, and the Word was a god.” (John 1:1) Some other translations render the last part of the verse to convey the thought that the Word was “divine,” or something similar. (A New Translation of the Bible, by James Moffatt; The New English Bible) Many translations, however, render the last part of John 1:1: “And the Word was God.”—The Holy Bible—New International Version; The Jerusalem Bible.

Greek grammar and the context strongly indicate that the New World Translation rendering is correct and that “the Word” should not be identified as the “God” referred to earlier in the verse. Nevertheless, the fact that the Greek language of the first century did not have an indefinite article (“a” or “an”) leaves the matter open to question in some minds. It is for this reason that a Bible translation in a language that was spoken in the earliest centuries of our Common Era is very interesting.

The language is the Sahidic dialect of Coptic. The Coptic language was spoken in Egypt in the centuries immediately following Jesus’ earthly ministry, and the Sahidic dialect was an early literary form of the language. Regarding the earliest Coptic translations of the Bible, The Anchor Bible Dictionary says: “Since the [Septuagint] and the [Christian Greek Scriptures] were being translated into Coptic during the 3d century C.E., the Coptic version is based on [Greek manuscripts] which are significantly older than the vast majority of extant witnesses.”

The Sahidic Coptic text is especially interesting for two reasons. First, as indicated above, it reflects an understanding of Scripture dating from before the fourth century, which was when the Trinity became official doctrine. Second, Coptic grammar is relatively close to English grammar in one important aspect. The earliest translations of the Christian Greek Scriptures were into Syriac, Latin, and Coptic. Syriac and Latin, like the Greek of those days, do not have an indefinite article. Coptic, however, does. Moreover, scholar Thomas O. Lambdin, in his work Introduction to Sahidic Coptic, says: “The use of the Coptic articles, both definite and indefinite, corresponds closely to the use of the articles in English.”

Hence, the Coptic translation supplies interesting evidence as to how John 1:1 would have been understood back then. What do we find? The Sahidic Coptic translation uses an indefinite article with the word “god” in the final part of John 1:1. Thus, when rendered into modern English, the translation reads: “And the Word was a god.” Evidently, those ancient translators realized that John’s words recorded at John 1:1 did not mean that Jesus was to be identified as Almighty God. The Word was a god, not Almighty God.
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by iyke484real(m): 11:32am On Oct 23, 2016
grin
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by greatjoey: 11:37am On Oct 23, 2016
tintingz:
The Bible itself was said to be corrupted but not all message in the Bible are corrupt.

Which part of the biblevis corrupted if I may ask pls? One thing is sure about Christ and whom he is. Your accepting him or dejecting Him does not change His status. He remains the only begotten son of God. A man without any blemishes. Hr fought no war, He did not womanise and lust after woman like your prophet, he did not enjoy His followers to strike non conformists like Mohammed, He did not marry a minor of six years like Moh'd did, he was not poisoned and died like an ordinary thief and wrongdoer just as Mohammed died a shameful death. He was without sin. He is Emmanuel, the saviour of mankind.
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by femi4: 11:45am On Oct 23, 2016
atoleybaba:
athiest? Never am a christian. Deluded Christian who is blinded by what he is taught? No....just a christian who reads d bible and also taught d bible with logical proof and not spiritual proof
You are not a Christian.... no Christian will use the word "Logical"

You are a false teacher and you belong to your father the devil.
By their fruits we shall know them.

The LETTERS kills but the spirit gives life
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by iyke484real(m): 11:46am On Oct 23, 2016
atoleybaba:
good! so with all your logics what do you make of this........

Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by Omooba77: 11:48am On Oct 23, 2016
tintingz:
Am not saying the bible never mentioned holy spirit.

When I say the holy spirit was left out means, Where is the holy spirit message? Why is Jesus always refer his message from God only? and what is the Christian concept of holy spirit?

Matthew 3:16, John 14:17
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by chacoonder(m): 11:48am On Oct 23, 2016
Splinz:

You want to learn or argue?
Lol...The fact that you fail to agree with my stance makes you the learner here.Go and learn more about your bible. wink
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by hatchy(f): 11:52am On Oct 23, 2016
Brigham:
One funny observation about the major theme of Christianity is that it's self defeating.

Why should an 'all powerful' god have to sacrifice 'himself' to 'himself' before men could be forgiven.

That's magnanimous

Your foolishness is very glaring.

Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by crush20(m): 11:52am On Oct 23, 2016
Brigham:

That's magnanimous

And why not? our ways aren't God's. Neither our tots.......
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by crush20(m): 11:59am On Oct 23, 2016
The truth has no hiding place, praise I AM!
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by dubsy91(f): 11:59am On Oct 23, 2016
JESUS IS LORD FOREVER!!!
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by Omooba77: 12:00pm On Oct 23, 2016
Danmaiduguri:

Isaiah 29:12 a book will be given to him saying "Read" He says "i cannot Read".
So can u tell me any prophet in the bible who was given a book and asked to read christians have tried to answer this question many times but could'nt.

Let me tell u who this prophesy refers to.

Quran ch,96:1 "Read in the name of your lord who created you". This is the first revelation sent by God through Archangel Gabriel to Muhammad (PBUH), and He replied with "I cannot Read". he was asked 2 times to read but he replied by "I cannot read" but with the Power of Allah He read it at d 3 try. Refference
(sahih Buhari Book of revelation, Hadith No:3)

Revelations 5:1-9

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Why You Shouldn't Rejoice When A Wicked Man Dies / Oyedepo Opens Abuja Winners Chapel / Joshua Iginla Awards Scholarship To A Girl Child, Gives Her A Cash Gift

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.