Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,705 members, 7,827,580 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:53 PM

What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? (21374 Views)

What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? / Daddy Freeze: "Pastor Said I Will Die In 24 Months Over Tithe, Free The Sheeple" / What Does The Name Jesus Mean To You? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by tintingz(m): 9:20am On Oct 23, 2016
greatjoey:

It is that same book of John that the Muslims extracted a verse and misinterpreted it to mean that the coming of Mohammed was foretold in the bible. Here you are arguing the authenticity of the book of John which you so give credence to in order to support the divinity of your religion. How do you reconcile these?
The Bible itself was said to be corrupted but not all message in the Bible are corrupt.
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by Nobody: 9:21am On Oct 23, 2016
Kuran 15:91, said something on kuran being in shred, which simply mean the inerrancy of kuran is graded 15%

Danmaiduguri:

Atleast we have seperating God's Word with prophet words unlike u christians Jampacked Everything all together, Word of God, word of prophets, words of historians, scholars as well as uncountable scientific errors and Condradictions.

Which bible do u believed as the true word of God KJV,RSV,ASV,DOAY,NIRV, etc. these are the few i can think of because their are dozen and dozen of bibles.

Why do u keep panelbeating it time to time? Or did u get New revelation from God. Eg KJV 1john 5:7 "There are three that bear record in heaven father, sin and holy ghost". This verse is removed from d RSV. why?? There are thousands of contradictions and errors but i wont some brothers will find it insulting.

The Quran is 1400yrs old but not even a single word has not been changed. Alhamdulillah. Islam is the Truth religion.
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by Justiceleague1: 9:25am On Oct 23, 2016
Rilwayne001:

Well well, we've argued this before, and i don't think I'll be doing this again.

It may not be a delusion, it may actually be the true. But I, as a person do not believe the Bible as the word of God. And so i have decided that it is of no use, using it to validate my beliefs no matter how similar they are.

The day you start telling us how your own particular beliefs is what leads to god and all other thousands of Christian sects are scam.

It is. You don't discard a question that you perceive to be a denial of truth rather you try to bring the denial of truth to the face of the questionnaire. Are you really saying the writer of the book of John is known? How about other books of the NT? When were they written and by who?

pls carry your bmb and get out from here and find ur way back to ur secured ''i believe bla bla bla..." secret sect section.. Is that place of piscs not for muslims alone? Are u now a christian?
Op,Jesus is truly God

1 Like

Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by Splinz(m): 9:27am On Oct 23, 2016
atoleybaba:
enlightened with d rubbish u preach? No thanks...u guys preach what is not in d bible, the main reason y people leave christian homes to become atheist all in d name of covering ur false teaching, u twist d bible to ur taste and u Dont even twist it sensibly, u twist it in a way that educated interested person just look at d bible and call it trash.... U guys are d main cause. I will advise u to contact d witnesses let them sharpen ur mind spiritually and drop ur ego
You ended up saying nothing but gibberish. Go ahead and wallow in your ignorance. SMH
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by Rilwayne001: 9:29am On Oct 23, 2016
Justiceleague1:

achmed the dead t,pls carry your bomb and get out from here and find ur way back to ur secured ''i believe bla bla bla..." secret sect section.. Is that place of piscs not for muslims alone? Are u now a christian?
Op,Jesus is truly God

Deadbrain cuckoo undecided

Truth hurts, isn't it? tongue

1 Like

Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by Justiceleague1: 9:36am On Oct 23, 2016
Danmaiduguri:

Atleast we have seperating God's Word with prophet words unlike u christians Jampacked Everything all together, Word of God, word of prophets, words of historians, scholars as well as uncountable scientific errors and Condradictions.

Which bible do u believed as the true word of God KJV,RSV,ASV,DOAY,NIRV, etc. these are the few i can think of because their are dozen and dozen of bibles.

Why do u keep panelbeating it time to time? Or did u get New revelation from God. Eg KJV 1john 5:7 "There are three that bear record in heaven father, sin and holy ghost". This verse is removed from d RSV. why?? There are thousands of contradictions and errors but i wont some brothers will find it insulting.

The Quran is 1400yrs old but not even a single word has not been changed. Alhamdulillah. Islam is the Truth religion.

oga seun, theres a condition and t and c one MUST comply with before making comments on any islamic topic but the story is different with christian topics hence muslims like the above and anybody can access and make jest of our religion and holy book,is that right?

melejo:

Seun, Lalasticlala and every other mode well done ehn. When it touches the basic doctrine of Christianity you guys will make it open. Anyone will be allowed to contribute unhindered. But whenit has to do with the religion of peace, then everyone that must comment must first accept Allah as the only true god and Mohammed last and greatest prophet. Whatever you guys are trying to achieve let me tell you that those who for centuries were terribly against Christianity using all means have passed on and Christianity remains. Why must Christianity be subject to open discussion while Islam is not. Your guess is as good as mine, they are religion of p.........
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by Nobody: 9:36am On Oct 23, 2016
gj22:

The wisdom of man is foolishness in God's eyes.

Our logic and way of thinking only works or applies to things in our own little bubble. God exists outside our bubble. He is almighty.

Philosophy will tell you that something cannot be and at the same time not be. But we know that God is, was and will be. He is eternal.

You first have to accept the Supreme nature of the creator before you can understand what I am trying to say.
What are you really musing about.

Accepting god is supreme have nothing to do with his nature, the natures of god have been stated or preached by ecclesiastic to be:omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscience.

From his characteristics, all events involving god in the businesses of men doesn't make really sense.

1 Like

Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by CharlieMaria(m): 9:38am On Oct 23, 2016
tintingz:
God in old testament said "I AM that I AM" to Moses while Jesus only said "I AM". How does that mean Jesus was referring to himself as God? There is misinterpretation somewhere.

Jesus said "Before Abraham I AM"
I AM what exactly? I am an angel, slave, spirit, wind? etc

Let's use old testament style: "Before Abraham I AM that I AM"
This make more sense because God has concluded He's I AM that I AM.

The writer of John must have use old testament to suit Jesus being God, unfortunately John writer didn't get it right because God said "I AM that I AM" = twice.
I wish to give you clearer and enough scriptural passages which confirm that Jesus is both our and God, capital GOD. Let's roll. Go to Heb1:6to8 and see that God the Father referred to Jesus as God. Go to Isaiah 9vs5to6 the prophet called Jesus God. Even Isaiah 7vs14 said Jesus will be called Emmanuel meaning God with us. So Jesus is God in the midst of his people. In matthew 2vs11 the three wise men fell down and worshipped Jesus as God. In John 20vs28 thomas on touching the wounded side of Jesus exclaimed my Lord and God. Capital God, check it t's in your bible. Titus 2:10 to 13 Jesus was called God. Colossians 2vs9 says that 100% of God dwelt bodily in Jesus. Colossians 1vs16to17 said that all things were created by Jesus and in Him. That He is before all and by Him all things consist. This is Jesus the son of Mary. Only God can create. John1vs1 says in the begining was the Word and the Word was God. And verse 14 says the Word which was and is God was made flesh and dwelt among us. So God took flesh and this is Jesus He was talking about. That's why in Philipians 2verse5 it says that Jesus didn't count his equality with God but humbled himself. That is to say He is Equal with God and consequently God. I can go on and on friend. Jesus is God, you can't help it.

1 Like

Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by Justiceleague1: 9:42am On Oct 23, 2016
Rilwayne001:

Deadbrain cuckoo undecided
Truth hurts, isn't it?
Su.....de bomber you mean the truth like education is haram and 72 virgins in that satanic buk tongue
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by Nobody: 9:44am On Oct 23, 2016
Rilwayne001:
The  Bible  began  to  appear  to  me  as  a  very  human  book.  Just  as  human  scribes  had  copied, and  changed,  the  texts  of  scripture,  so  too  had  human  authors  originally  written  the  texts  of  scripture.  This  was  a  human  book  from  be ginning  to  end.  It  was  written  by  different  human  authors  at  different times  and  in  different  places  to  address  different  needs.  Many  of  these authors  no  doubt  felt  they  were  inspired  by  God  to  say  what  they  did, but  they  had  their  own  perspectives,  their  own  beliefs,  their  own views,  their  own  needs,  their  own  desires,  their  own  understandings, their  own  theologies;  and  these  perspectives.

Lol, when was John written and who wrote it? Have you ever asked yourself these questions?
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by Sman37(m): 9:49am On Oct 23, 2016
Acts 2:22 "Fellow Israelites, listen to
this: Jesus of Nazareth was ... Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders ... Acts 2:22 - Acts 2:22 ESV - Acts 2:22

1 Like

Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by ifenes(m): 9:50am On Oct 23, 2016
Jesus did not exist. The idea of using Jesus is an example to humans that THEY ARE! Everyone is Jesus

1 Like

Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by iyke484real(m): 9:50am On Oct 23, 2016
tintingz:
God in old testament said "I AM that I AM" to Moses while Jesus only said "I AM". How does that mean Jesus was referring to himself as God? There is misinterpretation somewhere.

The writer of John must have use old testament to suit Jesus being God, unfortunately John writer didn't get it right because God said "I AM that I AM" = twice.

Stop confussing ur self bro. Read ur bible if you have one.
This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'I AM has sent me to you.'" (Exodus 3:14). That was the lord talking to moses. Also, this is another solid prove that Jesus Christ is the God of the Old Testament.
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by SegunDgr8(m): 9:51am On Oct 23, 2016
He is d son of God and without Him,we are nothing before God.
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by bapullow: 9:53am On Oct 23, 2016
If we agree Jesus is God, do You means even God can put to Dead on d cross by some rascal soldiers nonsense, why Christian Ideology is so complicate and it's doesn't go with logical mine of person pls don't me tell he's willing to go on d cross bc he cry out on d cross
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by donhils: 9:53am On Oct 23, 2016
OLAADEGBU:
Did Jesus declare Himself to be God by saying 'I AM'?
It wasn't Jesus that said it, God did.
And what I am means is let's assume you're in lack, God is then saying I am your provider, if you're sick it means I am your healer, when you're lost, I am your father etc. So in any situation you find yourself, you fill in the blank space. Hope you've gotten my point?
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by femi4: 9:55am On Oct 23, 2016
donhils:

It wasn't Jesus that said it, God did.
And what I am means is let's assume you're in lack, God is then saying I am your provider, if you're sick it means I am your healer, when you're lost, I am your father etc. So in any situation you find yourself, you fill in the blank space. Hope you've gotten my point?
Before your father Abraham was....I AM
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by misscall247: 9:58am On Oct 23, 2016
Brigham:
One funny observation about the major theme of Christianity is that it's self defeating.

Why should an 'all powerful' god have to sacrifice 'himself' to 'himself' before men could be forgiven.

That's magnanimous
u are too foolish to undstand it......so park
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by Sman37(m): 9:59am On Oct 23, 2016
Nop jesus didnt claim to be God that is jus d whole truth believ it or dont
John 5:30 By myself I can do nothing; I judge only as I hear ... I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; ... He had higher testimony than that of John; his works bore witness to all he had said. ... Jesus explained, "My food is to do the will of Him who sent Me and to finish ... biblehub.com/john/5-30.htm John 5:19 Jesus gave them this answer: "Very truly I tell you ... So Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of his own accord, but only what he sees the ... biblehub.com/john/5-19.htm
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by donhils: 9:59am On Oct 23, 2016
femi4:
Before your father Abraham was....I AM
I didn't quite get that.
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by Nobody: 10:03am On Oct 23, 2016
IF HE DID CLAIM HE IS GOD..... WHY DID HE SAY....HE SENT HIS ONLY BEGOTTEN SON AND WHY DID JESUS TEACH THE DISCIPLES TO TO PRAY TO THE FATHER WHO AT IN HEAVEN
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by femi4: 10:03am On Oct 23, 2016
donhils:
I didn't quite get that.
You will never get it
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by drss2(m): 10:04am On Oct 23, 2016
d word "I Am" is d name n title of GOD. so yes, Jesus Christ is GOD.
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by donhils: 10:05am On Oct 23, 2016
femi4:
You will never get it
Ok
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by zionmade(m): 10:07am On Oct 23, 2016
d Greek word translating I am as used by Jesus is Elohim. And DAT name is only used for God almighty.
Wen they picked up stone to kill him he asked them why they wanted to kill him and they answered because u being a man makest thyself God. u can read d rest. For my Muslim brothers and atheists Christianity is not logical its supernatural just as its not logical for a new born baby to learn how to cry or suck breast without being thought. so stop looking at Christianity with a logical point of view
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by drss2(m): 10:11am On Oct 23, 2016
Brigham:
One funny observation about the major theme of Christianity is that it's self defeating.

Why should an 'all powerful' god have to sacrifice 'himself' to 'himself' before men could be forgiven.

That's magnanimous
if u dont believe in super natural beings n spirit realm how can u believe in wat Jesus Christ did on d cross Jesus Christ death on d cross is not about physical death. it is majorly spiritual n since u dont even believe in spiritual tinks, u will never understand it. but hope one day ur eye will open.
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by femi4: 10:13am On Oct 23, 2016
ezenwajosh:
IF HE DID CLAIM HE IS GOD..... WHY DID HE SAY....HE SENT HIS ONLY BEGOTTEN SON AND WHY DID JESUS TEACH THE DISCIPLES TO TO PRAY TO THE FATHER WHO AT IN HEAVEN
ONLY GOD CAN FORGIVE SIN.....HOW COME THIS ONLY BEGOTTEN SON CAN FORGIVE SIN.

I THOUGHT ONLY GOD CAN SAVE......HOW COME HE CALLED HIMSELF A MESSIAH

I AM THE RESSURECTION AND LIFE....abeg no mere man can lay claim to that

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by atoleybaba(m): 10:15am On Oct 23, 2016
Splinz:

You ended up saying nothing but gibberish. Go ahead and wallow in your ignorance. SMH
typical way of ending a conversation when u can't defend urself..just stop teaching false things so God anger wont be on u
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by iyke484real(m): 10:16am On Oct 23, 2016
atoleybaba:
bro I no understand for my fellow so called xtians ooo....they never seems to stop disappointing when it comes to misquoting bible....jesus isn't God, he himself said he is not God and he also show that there is someone higher than he who he is subjected to. And Jesus is one of God's creation. Just that according to d bible, my source of belief, he was/is the first creation of God before any other thing or being(including other spirit creaatures)
bros. No vex oh! you sound like an athiest. are you sure you ar a christian?
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by drss2(m): 10:19am On Oct 23, 2016
tintingz:

see how u ar confusing urself by urself. d word "I AM" is d name n title of GOD. so whether he said "I Am that I AM" or just "I AM" still means d same time. "I AM that I AM" is like saying "I AM that which is GOD."
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by orunto27: 10:22am On Oct 23, 2016
God is The Subject. His Creations are The Objects. Jesus is The Issue(Issve) and all issues are material subjects. Therefore God, The IAM THAT IAM is Jesus The Issue(Issve) and The Subject of His Creations. I'm is Nominative. I is Vocational. So I, Jesus, I'm. I'm also U & I.
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by iyke484real(m): 10:27am On Oct 23, 2016
godunia:
2 Corinthians 4:4 among whom the god of this system (Satan) of things has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, (chrstaindom) so that the illumination of the glorious good news about the Christ, who is the image of God, (not God) might not shine through.Jesus is not God Almighty (Jehovah') and he never claimed he is. He was created Col 1:15 like every thing else. Even as a perfect creature with prehuman existence, he never considered himself to be equal to God (Jehovah) Matt 12:29 ,he said there's only one God why is Satan causing wahala with this simple truth. Jesus said he is a son, Satan world insist he is Jehovah, can God be born, can God die, can anyone see God and yet live, who did Jesus prayed to, who resurrected Jesus? Make I stop.
human logic lol....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Man Dies As Bulletproof Charm Fails / 5 Biblical Principles That Will Change Your Life / What's The Fate Of Good, Godly Single Girls?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.