Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,721 members, 7,955,698 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 01:10 PM

What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? (21822 Views)

What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? / Daddy Freeze: "Pastor Said I Will Die In 24 Months Over Tithe, Free The Sheeple" / What Does The Name Jesus Mean To You? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by atoleybaba(m): 2:01pm On Oct 23, 2016
whiteprince:

I don't think u have a brain abt these...
Why do we pray and say "in the name of the father and of the son and of the holy spirit Amen"?

Anglican and catholic will teach you more
excuse me I Dont pray with such format I pray d way Christ taught us that is the model payer....av ever thought bawt how catholic got their Trinity method? Go and do ur research and if u Dont av research material, quote me I will help u out
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by ibolomo(m): 2:02pm On Oct 23, 2016
Danmaiduguri:

Isaiah 29:12 a book will be given to him saying "Read" He says "i cannot Read".
So can u tell me any prophet in the bible who was given a book and asked to read christians have tried to answer this question many times but could'nt.

Let me tell u who this prophesy refers to.

Quran ch,96:1 "Read in the name of your lord who created you". This is the first revelation sent by God through Archangel Gabriel to Muhammad (PBUH), and He replied with "I cannot Read". he was asked 2 times to read but he replied by "I cannot read" but with the Power of Allah He read it at d 3 try. Refference
(sahih Buhari Book of revelation, Hadith No:3)

please stop cherry picking the Bible as picking a verse to back up erroneous notions is just plain wrong. read the preceding verses of the book of Isaiah you quoted and tell me if it was a criterion of the true religion/servant
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by fhunn: 2:19pm On Oct 23, 2016
Brigham:
One funny observation about the major theme of Christianity is that it's self defeating.

Why should an 'all powerful' god have to sacrifice 'himself' to 'himself' before men could be forgiven.

That's magnanimous

Yes, Christianity might sound self defeating when you try to find meaning to it all by yourself ...but thats not how its supposed to be.
Christianity is a way of life where a man chooses to walk with God and put Him first in whatever he does. grin

As for you opinion of Him dying to redeem us being magnanimous...well as for us humans, when God does something far beyond our present comprehension, we say its unnecessary, and impossible, a fluke that is but to God, its just one of the things He can possibly do and chooses to do.

So, you saying its magnanimous is understandable but when you think of the punishment for those who reject the reason for His death and ressurection and choose not to be redeemed, then you have an idea why He needed to be 'magnanimous', unfortunately at that time when rebels are receiving the punishment they say God ought to have given them for rejecting Him, it will be late and they will not only get punished, they will know what punishment is like coming from a God, since they already know what is like when a God shows mercy but this time, they lose the choice given to man.

The most painful thing is that there are no time stamps in hell. cry
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by Btruth: 2:19pm On Oct 23, 2016
atoleybaba:
egbon calm down and reason is it logical to be a father and d same time son of urself? Y are u making it look like a daft person wrote the bible for stupid people....u are d reason y people become atheist ahn ahn....God is not stupid and wrote d bible for it to be understandable and not twisted as u are putting....all in d name of ur clergy men trying to cover up their wring teaching that Jesus is God dy bring stupid ideology that is not even in d bible....egbon be humble enough ooh sorry u are too blinded by ur religious leaders if not u ought to just accept a change in ur old belief. Jesus isn't God he is the son of God....God doesn't av a beginning and no end. Jesus has a beginning Buh no end.
Proverbs 8:22 - 36 will give you more insight into His establishment beyond human reasoning.
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by atoleybaba(m): 3:02pm On Oct 23, 2016
Btruth:
Proverbs 8:22 - 36 will give you more insight into His establishment beyond human reasoning.
u just quoted a portion to buttress my own point thank u.....that place shows that Jesus was the first thing God created he was there when God created all other things....23 said he was established/created before d earth was....use reasoning Na pls....try to drop whatever u are thought and read d bible with a plain mind not with d mind founded in all these people that av taught the bible d wrong way pls sir
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by louis95(m): 3:11pm On Oct 23, 2016
There are 3 persons dat made up God
1.God d father
2.God d son
3.God d holy ghost
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by MzMercie: 3:41pm On Oct 23, 2016
OP, knowing Jesus is a personal affair, u can only kń him through personal contact with him, not by asking people. If u really need answers to ur question, read ur Bible and ask d Holy Spirit to reveal who Jesus is to u.

You don't expect people who don't know Him, believe in Him or has things to do with Him give u answers. You are giving room for blasphemies and heresies ere.

1 Corinthians 1:25 says
“Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.”

Also 1 Corinthians 1:27 says
"But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;".

If u are confused about something in the Bible ask the Holy Spirit who is ur comforter, friend, guider etc.

God bless you
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by tintingz(m): 3:51pm On Oct 23, 2016
greatjoey:

But according to you, Mohammed is also a prophet like you classify Jesus. Let's talk of Mohammed also. Is s there anything fishy about discussed ssing him?
This thread is about Jesus, derailing this thread is a bad idea.
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by tintingz(m): 3:55pm On Oct 23, 2016
whiteprince:

On the pentecost day,Jesus sent the Holy spirit to the disciples "they were filled with the Holy spirit"

Whch ever angle u want to come from,its in the bible

Before islam,christanity was
Before quoran,Holy bible was

Please stop promoting false image here,islam is good,my family lived amongst muslims and we re like one big family,we fight for each other,I and my siblings can even say ur prayers. Please stop this
Where are my promoting false image? Did I insult anybody?

Am not saying there is no holy spirit, my question is who and what is the holy spirit?

Thank you for loving muslims, I have Christians as families as well.
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by tintingz(m): 3:57pm On Oct 23, 2016
whiteprince:

Like seriously? Which planet were you dogged out from?

You the bad muslims are making the qouran look bad when its not

When Jesus was in the wilderness,it was the holy spirit that was with Him,the holy spirit prepared Him for the temptation in the wilderness
Even when John was in the wilderness,it was the Holy spirit that was with him

Please go get a brain and stop this nonsense

Again, what is the holy spirit?

God is the father.

Jesus is the son.

Holy spirit is what?
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by tintingz(m): 3:59pm On Oct 23, 2016
CharlieMaria:
Perhaps you didn't read where i mentioned Philipians 2vs6 that clearly stated that Jesus is equal to God, but humbled himself to take on human nature. When he called God to save him He was both giving us example and at the same showing his human side. JESUS HAS TWO NATURES DIVINE NATURE AND HUMAN NATURE. NON OF THOSE NATURES WERE LACKING WHEN HE WAS ON EARTH.
Read your post again and tell me you are not confused.
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by raphieMontella: 3:59pm On Oct 23, 2016
Splinz:

The same bible you can't even understand glaring verses like JOHN 1:1 & 14?

Hmm. I know one thing about ignoramuses- pride!
hello!
I just have three questions for you....
From the bible...
You believe jesus is God's co-equal right?
Luke 2:52
Can God grow in wisdom?
is God not supposed to have infinite wisdom?

John 14:28 & Matt 26:39
Is the statement in matt 26:39 not only possible if Jesus is lesser than yahweh?
If Jesus was God,why would he try to get out of his central mission?
And why would he ask God to do so---in God's will?
If he is God,,He should be able to remove it himself

John 5:30 & John 20:17
is John 5:30 not a statement of subservience?
Can a God have a God? If they are equal?
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by Boomark(m): 4:00pm On Oct 23, 2016
tintingz:
No, it doesn't contradict, Jesus has made himself clear many times to the Pharisees he was sent from God.

Why dont you quote those verses finish?

The Jews misunderstood (change) Jesus words "for a good work we stone thee not, but for blasphemy and because that thou being a man makest thyaelf God" this were the jews word, if we read John 10:31-36 we will see Jesus corrected them again.

John 10:31-36King James Version (KJV)

31 Then the Jews took up stones again to stone him.

32 Jesus answered them, Many good works have I shewed you from my Father; for which of those works do ye stone me?

33 The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.

34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?

35 If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;

36 Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?

At @ bolded, Jesus answered them "because I said I am the son of God"? That was Jesus words correcting the Jews.

The above verse has answered this.

The Jews false allegation = You makest thyself God?

Jesus answered correcting the Jews = Because I said I am the son of God?

Nice one bro.

Please I would like to know if scholar and Olaadegbu pick the correction Christ made or are they still holding unto the false allegation of Jews.

I lost hope on Olaadegbu long time ago when he was 'miaring' from my questions as if a man is monitoring him should he try to leave their man-made doctrine. I thought he must changed by now.

They don't know the difference between the God of our forefathers, and his holy servant...Christ Jesus, Acts 3:13.
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by CharlieMaria(m): 4:08pm On Oct 23, 2016
atoleybaba:
that portion u quoted simply showed that Jesus didn't consider himself has God even tho he existed in God's form while in heaven....and what is God's form?a spirit creature....understood? Bible twister
Let's assume or presume i did twist the bible, even though the bible @ philipians 2vs6 clearly said Jesus is God. But let me ask you: Who created the world? Is it God? If yes. Then the scriptures expressly told us John 1vs1 that in the begining was the Word and the Word was with God, and that the Word was God. That all things were created by The Word and For Him and In Him. And in verse 14, it clearly says that the Word was made flesh and dwelt among us. If this Word was God in Jn1vs1 and in verse 14 the same word took flesh. Then God took flesh. Heb1vs6to8 called him God or did i twist it too? And John20:28 He was also called God. Or you think i inserted that text there? Or in John 14vs9 where Jesus himself said that He and the Father is One, did i also twist that? Does common sense not tell us that we have life and God gives Life? That we know the truth but God is truth? That we know ways to do things but God is the Way? So when Jesus said in John14vs6 I Am the Way, The Truth and Life...was He not Saying He was God? Think!!!
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by dfav: 4:10pm On Oct 23, 2016
I think as per Jesus's divinity i will leave that to God to settle but based on history, the book of Mark was the first that was written, others came either during the time when Jesus divinity issue came up or after that especially the book of John.

Thats why the early church broke up into 2 groups:
(1) the roman Catholic that believe in Jesus divinity & virgin mary birth ... from this section came the protestant to Pentecostals etc.

(2) the eastern or adoption church. Whom till these days dont have anything about Jesus divination but believe Jesus was a man whom was sent on a divine purpose and was transformed by the Holyspirit.

Plz go to Google and find the historical changes that happened to Christianity, u will also discovered when tithing was introduced into the church (cos the early church/apostles didn't pay tithes).
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by Raphael81(m): 4:20pm On Oct 23, 2016
atoleybaba:
bro I no understand for my fellow so called xtians ooo....they never seems to stop disappointing when it comes to misquoting bible....jesus isn't God, he himself said he is not God and he also show that there is someone higher than he who he is subjected to. And Jesus is one of God's creation. Just that according to d bible, my source of belief, he was/is the first creation of God before any other thing or being(including other spirit creaatures)

Does the bible need the quran for validity? No it doed not, rather the quran tries to find a valid point in the bible, that is the bible recognises itq
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by Raphael81(m): 4:28pm On Oct 23, 2016
atoleybaba:
please take note and stop being deluded "I am" is not a name...I am that I am in modern English is I cause to become or I choose to become what ever....the 2Nd part where he said I am hath sent u was just a simple direction like.....when u send a kid somewhere and u say if dy ask u who sent u tell them I am d one....does that mean I am is ur name?....if u keep reading to verse 15 God mentioned his name....he said u are to tell them "jehovah" the God of....

u dont give the bible literal interpretations like the quran bro
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by Oritna94(m): 5:16pm On Oct 23, 2016
Yes he is the God of the old testament different from God the Father. God the Father delegated most of his duties to him
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by chacoonder(m): 5:27pm On Oct 23, 2016
Splinz:

The same bible you can't even understand glaring verses like JOHN 1:1 I know one thing about ignoramuses- pride!
Pride on religion!!..not in this life. You can engage me in something more reasonable next time.
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by onyenje: 5:44pm On Oct 23, 2016
John 1:14New International Version (NIV)

14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.
John 1:1New International Version
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

The book John 1:1 & 14 clearly tell us that Jesus who represents the word of God and who is God himself became manifest as flesh to dwell among Men
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by onyenje: 5:58pm On Oct 23, 2016
Philippians 2:7New International Version
rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.
You might want to ask why he allowed himself to be captured. Pls find the answer in the above text
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by nurusystem(m): 6:11pm On Oct 23, 2016
some bibles verses contradithing itself

Which 1 is corect about jesus,who is Jesus classically called Yeshua,, (a)son (b)servand (c) holy spirit (d) God (e) all of the above

How can God died for 3days ??that means no god for that 3 days.

why will God died for others people Sins & suffer himself on a cross

jesus is God because he just say 'I Am' how??
If jesus said it completely 'I am GOD' we can acept that,
But those who r used by God r frm God but they are not God,so what r you xtians insinuatin

Jesus never said i am God worship me,,but he said 'o isreal the lord is your God ,he is 1 one,worship him with all thy heart & strength' so why did'nt Jesus just confirm him self God in this verse..

Abeggg read your bible very well o..
And always say the truth my friends because it will always set you free.
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by atoleybaba(m): 6:25pm On Oct 23, 2016
Raphael81:

u dont give the bible literal interpretations like the quran bro
d bible was written for literal being and not spiritual beings....why will u give bible spiritual meaning when it is meant for so to guide us in this Satan's world?
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by nurusystem(m): 6:25pm On Oct 23, 2016
[quote author=onyenje post=50447980]John 1:14New International Version (NIV)

14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.
John 1:1New International Version
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

The book John 1:1 & 14 clearly tell us that Jesus who represents the word of God and who is God himself became manifest as flesh to dwell among Men[/quote

What about Mark 10 vs 18
New International Version "Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered.
"No one is good--except God alone.

So who is jesus talking about inthis verse that he is the only Good Can you help me answer this question and he said God Alone....
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by atoleybaba(m): 6:28pm On Oct 23, 2016
Raphael81:

Does the bible need the quran for validity? No it doed not, rather the quran tries to find a valid point in the bible, that is the bible recognises itq
ion no anything bawt quaran....the only thing bawt d quaran I know bawt is that it points to one God and it talks about Paradise on earth for obeidient mankind same as d bible
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by atoleybaba(m): 6:28pm On Oct 23, 2016
Raphael81:

ion no anything bawt quaran....the only thing bawt d quaran I know bawt is that it points to one God and it talks about Paradise for mankind
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by atoleybaba(m): 6:38pm On Oct 23, 2016
CharlieMaria:
Let's assume or presume i did twist the bible, even though the bible @ philipians 2vs6 clearly said Jesus is God. But let me ask you: Who created the world? Is it God? If yes. Then the scriptures expressly told us John 1vs1 that in the begining was the Word and the Word was with God, and that the Word was God. That all things were created by The Word and For Him and In Him. And in verse 14, it clearly says that the Word was made flesh and dwelt among us. If this Word was God in Jn1vs1 and in verse 14 the same word took flesh. Then God took flesh. Heb1vs6to8 called him God or did i twist it too? And John20:28 He was also called God. Or you think i inserted that text there? Or in John 14vs9 where Jesus himself said that He and the Father is One, did i also twist that? Does common sense not tell us that we have life and God gives Life? That we know the truth but God is truth? That we know ways to do things but God is the Way? So when Jesus said in John14vs6 I Am the Way, The Truth and Life...was He not Saying He was God? Think!!!
y did u skip verse 18 of john chapter1? Apart from what u av been taught from d bible by ur pastors av u ever taken ur time to study on ur own bawt DT bible verse? The Greek lang it was written with and how it was translated? Well I will help u with some research on john chapter 1
states: “In the beginning was the Word, and the
Word was with God, and the Word was God.” (King James
Version) Later in the same chapter, the apostle John clearly
shows that “the Word” is Jesus. ( ) Since the Word
is called God, however, some conclude that the Son and the
Father must be part of the same God.
Bear in mind that this part of the Bible was originally
written in Greek. Later, translators rendered the Greek text
into other languages. A number of Bible translators, though,
did not use the phrase “the Word was God.” Why not?
Based on their knowledge of Biblical Greek, those
translators concluded that the phrase “the Word was God”
should be translated differently. How? Here are a few
examples: “The Logos [Word] was divine.” (A New
Translation of the Bible ) “The Word was a god.” (The New
Testament in an Improved Version) “The Word was with
God and shared his nature.” (The Translator’s New
Testament) According to these translations, the Word is not
God himself. Instead, because of his high position among
Jehovah’s creatures, the Word is referred to as “a god.”
Here the term “god” means “mighty one.” (am not framing this. Do ur own research urself and see it is true). Most people do not know Biblical Greek. So how can you
know what the apostle John really meant? Think of this
example: A schoolteacher explains a subject to his
students. Afterward, the students differ on how to
understand the explanation. How can the students resolve
the matter? They could ask the teacher for more
information. No doubt, learning additional facts would help
them to understand the subject better. Similarly, to grasp
the meaning of , you can look in the Gospel of John
for more information on Jesus’ position. Learning
additional facts on this subject will help you to draw the
right conclusion.
For instance, consider what John further writes in
: “No man has seen [Almighty] God at
any time.” However, humans have seen Jesus, the Son, for
John says: “The Word [Jesus] was made flesh, and dwelt
among us, and we beheld his glory.” ( , KJ) How,
then, could the Son be part of Almighty God? John also
states that the Word was “with God.” But how can an
individual be with someone and at the same time be that
person? Moreover, as recorded at , Jesus makes
a clear distinction between himself and his heavenly
Father. He calls his Father “the only true God.” And toward
the end of his Gospel, John sums up matters by saying:
“These have been written down so that you may believe
that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God.” ( )
Notice that Jesus is called, not God, but the Son of God.
This additional information provided in the Gospel of John
shows how should be understood. Jesus, the
Word, is “a god” in the sense that he has a high position but
is not the same as Almighty God.(please consider this explanation with clean consience willing to learn and accept d correction remember iron sharpens iron....we want to understand d bible clearly so we can live in harmony with God standard) I will be expecting ur feed back
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by lookingfly: 6:38pm On Oct 23, 2016
tintingz:
It is NOT by force.

But read your Bible and think.

For you is your religion, and for me is my religion.(Quran 109:1-6)
Muslims and their criticism of Christians. Why bother your self with someone else's religion when you have a lot of problem with your own Koran. Try and solve your own problems and let other ppl be. Let me ask you this question, why is it that it's Christianity that Muslims love to attack. What happened to judism,Buddhism etc.
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by Splinz(m): 6:42pm On Oct 23, 2016
raphieMontella:

hello!
I just have three questions for you....
From the bible...
You believe jesus is God's co-equal right?
Luke 2:52
Can God grow in wisdom?
is God not supposed to have infinite wisdom?

John 14:28 & Matt 26:39
Is the statement in matt 26:39 not only possible if Jesus is lesser than yahweh?
If Jesus was God,why would he try to get out of his central mission?
And why would he ask God to do so---in God's will?
If he is God,,He should be able to remove it himself

John 5:30 & John 20:17
is John 5:30 not a statement of subservience?
Can a God have a God? If they are equal?
Hello my brother, thank you for your questions even though insincerely asked. I said insincerely asked because you've clearly ignored the truth in John 1:1 & 14 and instead churned out questions which best suits your belly. Trust me, learning this way only breeds what some people called "endless contradictions & confusions" in the bible, where there's none. Nevertheless, your questions will be treated accordingly.

Yes, a lot of people got confused and can't make sense of the fact that during Jesus earthly life, He relied on God (Father) for everything, and also spare no time in giving Him glory and honor, while He (Jesus) is also God. But the mistake they made is ignoring the many proofs of His Godhood and instead settles on His earthly life as a human. Like I've said earlier, learning this way brings in confusion, denial and hypocrisy. For how will you make sense of His earthly life as just a human or Son of God, with the proofs that points to His Godhood from the very beginning?

Why Jesus Needed Another God; Even Though He Was God

We'll make sense of the whole thing shortly. Listen:
"Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men" (Philippians 2:5-7, RSV).

Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage; rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness (New International Version).

Though he was God, he did not think of equality with God as something to cling to (New Living Translation).

I quoted these three translations just to drive home the points—the import of what you're reading! You can't afford to miss this understanding! Jesus, though being God, had to emptied His full glory having found Himself as a man! And this thing did He of His own accord! (John 10:18). Now, there's two possible reason for this emptiness: 1. To lay down His life for mankind. 2. To fulfilled prophesies.

Jesus Is God

In John 1:1-14, Jesus is called the Word. In the original Greek, the term “the Word” actually means “Spokesman.” While Christ only became the Son of God at His human birth, He was an eternal Being—He was “without father, without mother, without descent, having neither beginning of days, nor end of life” (Heb. 7:3).

Plainly, these verses speak of Jesus Christ both before and after His human birth. Only one God Being “became flesh and dwelt among us.” But verse 1 reveals more! Notice it says that Christ, the Word, “was” God and was also “with” God. This can only be possible if TWO separate Beings are being described. These TWO eternal Beings—Personages—existed before any of the physical universe had been created. They existed from the beginning and earlier.

Ephesians 3:9, written by Paul, confirms John 1: “God…created all things by Jesus Christ.” Having been “the Word”—the Spokesman—for all eternity, Jesus said many times throughout His ministry that He only stated what God wanted Him to say. Since He was “the Word,” we can understand why Psalm 33 states, “By the Word of the LORD were the heavens [the universe] made; and all the host of them by the breath of His mouth…For He spoke, and it was done” (vs. 6, 9).

Understand what we have just read! The Jesus Christ of the New Testament was the God of the Old Testament. They are not two separate Beings. Notice this plain passage, ignored by almost all: “And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they [ancient Israel] drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ” (I Cor. 10:4). Brother, can you in all honesty still think Jesus as not God?

I believe your questions have been thoroughly answered conveniently. You've been enlightened no doubt. What you do with this new understanding is entirely your business. Bye now.
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by Cokwologu(m): 6:42pm On Oct 23, 2016
CharlieMaria:
I wish to give you clearer and enough scriptural passages which confirm that Jesus is both our and God, capital GOD. Let's roll. Go to Heb1:6to8 and see that God the Father referred to Jesus as God. Go to Isaiah 9vs5to6 the prophet called Jesus God. Even Isaiah 7vs14 said Jesus will be called Emmanuel meaning God with us. So Jesus is God in the midst of his people. In matthew 2vs11 the three wise men fell down and worshipped Jesus as God. In John 20vs28 thomas on touching the wounded side of Jesus exclaimed my Lord and God. Capital God, check it t's in your bible. Titus 2:10 to 13 Jesus was called God. Colossians 2vs9 says that 100% of God dwelt bodily in Jesus. Colossians 1vs16to17 said that all things were created by Jesus and in Him. That He is before all and by Him all things consist. This is Jesus the son of Mary. Only God can create. John1vs1 says in the begining was the Word and the Word was God. And verse 14 says the Word which was and is God was made flesh and dwelt among us. So God took flesh and this is Jesus He was talking about. That's why in Philipians 2verse5 it says that Jesus didn't count his equality with God but humbled himself. That is to say He is Equal with God and consequently God. I can go on and on friend. Jesus is God, you can't help it.
This comment here has answered the OP's question, as for the Islamabad morafuckers, you guys can go rot in hades...
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by Alegirl: 6:55pm On Oct 23, 2016
One funny observation about the major theme of Christianity is that it's self defeating.

Why should an 'all powerful' god have to sacrifice 'himself' to 'himself' before men could be forgiven.

That's magnanimous

Topics like this is not for you so when you see topic like this jump and pass
Re: What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? by Nobody: 7:08pm On Oct 23, 2016
@ OP,

If Jesus had merely wanted to say He existed before Abraham’s time, He would have said, “Before Abraham, I was.” The Greek words translated “was,” in the case of Abraham, and “am,” in the case of Jesus, are different.

There is no doubt that the Jews understood what He was saying because they took up stones to kill Him for declaring himself God (John 5:18). Such a statement, if not true, was blasphemy and the punishment prescribed under the Mosaic Law was death (Leviticus 24:11–14).

Jesus used the same phrase “I AM” in seven declarations about Himself. They are:

I AM the Bread of Life (John 6:35, 41, 48, 51);
I AM the Light of the World (John 8:12);
I AM the Door of the Sheep (John 10:7, 9);
I AM the Good Shepherd (John 10:11,14);
I AM the Resurrection and the Life (John 11:25);
I AM the Way, the Truth and the Life (John 14:6);
I AM the True Vine (John 15:1, 5)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

What Bible Says About The Rich And Powerful Building Doomsday Bunkers (Pics) / Pastor Isaac Idahosa Dancing Zanku Legwork During Sunday Service / Four Powerful Reasons You Must Run From Premarital Sex On Valentine's Day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.