Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,443 members, 7,830,217 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:57 PM

"Scrap Senate" - Aliyu Saidu Abubakar, Nominee For NCC Board - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "Scrap Senate" - Aliyu Saidu Abubakar, Nominee For NCC Board (38801 Views)

Senate Rejects Ahmad Bello Mahmud, Buhari’s Nominee For REC Over Citizenship / Aliyu Saidu Abubakar Presents One-year Diploma Certificate To Senate / Buhari Nominates Chairman, Commissioners For NCC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "Scrap Senate" - Aliyu Saidu Abubakar, Nominee For NCC Board by fabienjoe: 10:30am On Oct 20, 2016
Daniel1990:
Anybody who understand the working principles of government should know that scraping of senate can only take effect after major constitutional amendment has been effected; which can only be carry out by the senate. No senator will vote in support of scraping the upper chamber_if the resistance meant good for Nigeria; they should channel the efforts toward restructuring, otherwise, it looks more or less like efforts in futility.

Our economy woes is not as a result of what the legislative body earn nor what was stolen. It is as a result of institutionalised corruption in virtually every office including presidency_ reflect back to the era of budget_the infamous APC budget and what was on the list for the executive_you will understand what I'm talking about_the executive, the legislative, the judiciary_they are all in these mess together. We won't be doing justice pointing accusing finger at legislative alone.

Also, those glamouring for scraping should understand that no Presidential system of government exist without the legislative body_so a major change has to take effects

There is what is called a referendum. The lawmakers represent the people but when you need to deal with issues as fundamental as this one, you go to the people through a referendum. It is a 'yes or no' vote. If the people decide they do not want the senate anymore, the process of scrapping it would begin. Commonsense suggests you allow the existing ones to complete their tenure before it finally winds up. If for example, the Brexit vote was left for the parliament, it would not have scaled through but the people spoke through a referendum and the prime minister, who did not even support Brexit, had no option.

But do I want the senate scrapped? Certainly. It is superfluous especially in the extant economic climate. The house can make laws for Nigeria and it is more representative than the senate. Not that other arms of government are saints, but we have fewer crooks to deal with..at least, the ones we can't do without.

For those bleating over the number of federal representatives from some states, what we need is a proper census.But in all fairness, you don't expect a state like Kano to have the same number of federal constituencies as Anambra. The population must count. Of course I am from Anambra. But the north on their part should remove the barriers to proper census in their area. These lies and acrimony are not helping this country. The only winners are the corrupt politicians.

2 Likes

Re: "Scrap Senate" - Aliyu Saidu Abubakar, Nominee For NCC Board by otr1(m): 11:00am On Oct 20, 2016
don4real18:

He's self employed. How many ICT lecturers can do what the Alaba boys and computer village boys are doing.
He went there just for knowledge and may know more than people claiming BSC graduate.
He'll do better being self-employed.
Or why is he now interested in the credentials now, all of a sudden? To go get his own credentials in the school, it's a burden to him. We have to assume that he will approach his duties the same way
Re: "Scrap Senate" - Aliyu Saidu Abubakar, Nominee For NCC Board by ehissi(m): 11:02am On Oct 20, 2016
nwakibie3:

Show me one Nigerian in that ur list plz

May God bless you and the paps on which you sucked on as a child for that statement/QUESTION.

Which Nigerian fit that category make we know. Slot Saidu name for Wikipedia - as loosely controlled as Wikipedia is - no result.

That was how they gave Minister of Finance to a person with a Post-graduate diploma in accounting and head of Nigerian Economic team to Professor of law and called it round pegs in round holes.

All local and international agencies advised against their economic policy direction, they called them corrupt, wailers and ignorant folks.

Nigeria is fine, investors are rushing down here, we are not sliding into a recession.

When recession now came, then say na PDP do am...... it's alright. God and posterity will judge them.........

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "Scrap Senate" - Aliyu Saidu Abubakar, Nominee For NCC Board by seguno2: 11:09am On Oct 20, 2016
mecussey:
Well practically, I have seen an LGA chairman grade the village roads, whether it came from his pocket or not, I dont know. You see the so called law makers, nothing. They have never impeached a bad president, they dont make any decision and stand for it. Sometimes, they even fight like secondary school boys. They should just scrap that nonesense. When I was in school, we were more responsible in class than those ediots.

Law makers are basically for making laws not for grading roads.
You should learn more about the different but complimentary roles of various players in our democratic set up.
Cheers.

1 Like

Re: "Scrap Senate" - Aliyu Saidu Abubakar, Nominee For NCC Board by Eluwilussit(m): 12:21pm On Oct 20, 2016
ehissi:
The committee also said that it was interesting that the highest academic qualification of the nominee was a one-year “Diploma in Computer” from Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University, Bauchi.

Can you see what Buhari wants to do to this our country.........

Na Diploma in Computer na e, e wan give a whole NCC to manage. After them go say Buhari is not corrupt??

Abeg what is it about this fellow that qualifies him to hold such a sensitive office??

For the love of all things Holy, if Telecommunication sector begin dey suffer them go say na 16 years of PDP, see who them wan give NCC make e handle!!!

Abi na only me see am........ undecided

Buhari is favoring the north. He's highly bigoted. Most northerners, including Buhari, are not qualified for the positions they are occupying. That's why Nigeria is where it is today. No merit. cry cry cry

2 Likes

Re: "Scrap Senate" - Aliyu Saidu Abubakar, Nominee For NCC Board by mecussey(m): 12:34pm On Oct 20, 2016
seguno2:

Law makers are basically for making laws not for grading roads.
You should learn more about the different but complimentary roles of various players in our democratic set up.
Cheers.

Are u now saying there actions does not affect the common man in anyway. You are been centimental or just dont want to be reasonable. Let me be blunt, may be you will understand. The upper chamber (senate) is not doing there job...if its a company, it must have folded by now. Nigeria should just get rid of it, and channel the money else where. The democracy we copied from head to toe is not favouring us, we should be able to invent our own type of government.
Re: "Scrap Senate" - Aliyu Saidu Abubakar, Nominee For NCC Board by nuelyoyo(m): 12:47pm On Oct 20, 2016
Daniel1990:
Anybody who understand the working principles of government should know that scraping of senate can only take effect after major constitutional amendment has been effected; which can only be carry out by the senate. No senator will vote in support of scraping the upper chamber_if the resistance meant good for Nigeria; they should channel the efforts toward restructuring, otherwise, it looks more or less like efforts in futility.

Our economy woes is not as a result of what the legislative body earn nor what was stolen. It is as a result of institutionalised corruption in virtually every office including presidency_ reflect back to the era of budget_the infamous APC budget and what was on the list for the executive_you will understand what I'm talking about_the executive, the legislative, the judiciary_they are all in these mess together. We won't be doing justice pointing accusing finger at legislative alone.

Also, those glamouring for scraping should understand that no Presidential system of government exist without the legislative body_so a major change has to take effects
or military takes over, reorganize nigeria, then hand over back to the civilians.
Re: "Scrap Senate" - Aliyu Saidu Abubakar, Nominee For NCC Board by seguno2: 12:52pm On Oct 20, 2016
mecussey:
Are u now saying there actions does not affect the common man in anyway. You are been centimental or just dont want to be reasonable. Let me be blunt, may be you will understand. The upper chamber (senate) is not doing there job...if its a company, it must have folded by now. Nigeria should just get rid of it, and channel the money else where. The democracy we copied from head to toe is not favouring us, we should be able to invent our own type of government.

We had (past tense) our own government headed by Kings with several Chiefs that he consulted for making laws.
True or false?

1 Like

Re: "Scrap Senate" - Aliyu Saidu Abubakar, Nominee For NCC Board by docadams: 12:53pm On Oct 20, 2016
nwakibie3:

Show me one Nigerian in that ur list plz

Don't be mentally lazy

8 Famous Nigerians Who Achieve Success Without University

1. Mercy Johnson
One of the highest paid actresses in Nollywood Mercy Johnson Okojie discloses that she got into the Nigerian movie industry because she failed her JAMB exam. Now she is possibly one of the most popular actresses in Nigeria.

2. Cosmos Maduka
African billionaire Cosmos Maduka, dropped out of elementary school and became an apprentice at the age of seven, because of his father’s death. Currently he is the sole distributor for BMW and Ford cars in Nigeria and West Africa.

3. Vincent Obianobo
The name of this man, perhaps, is not very familiar. But his transportation company “The Young Shall Grow Motors” is well-known. Vincent Obianobo had not much education but today, he is one of Nigeria’s most successful businessmen.

4. Folorunsho Alakija
Folorunsho Alakija is ranked by Forbes as the richest woman in Nigeria with an estimated net worth of $2.5 billion. The beautiful woman recently revealed that she never attended a university. She made this revelation at the United Nations International Youth Day held at the University of Lagos.

5. Olorogun Michael Ibru
Michael Ibru has only a secondary school certificate to his name. The founder of Ibru Organization, one of the largest conglomerates in Nigeria, finished Igbobi college in 1951. Ibru is also the head of the richest family in Nigeria.

6. Razaq Akanni Okoya
The founder of Eleganza Group, which has a marketing span across West Africa, Razaq Akanni Okoya had his only formal education at Ansar-un-deen primary School, Oke popo, Lagos. This did not prevent him from becoming one of Nigeria’s billionaire industrialist.

7. Orji Uzor Kalu
Orji Uzor Kalu is the chairman of SLOK Holding and the Daily Sun and New Telegraph newspapers in Nigeria. He was excluded from the University of Maiduguri because of participation in a students’ protest. He decided not to continue to further his education and launched his career.

8. Michael Collins Ajere (Don Jazzy)
Michael Collins Ajere better known as Don Jazzy is one of the famous Nigerian music mogul, who didn’t need education to achieve success. The prolific music producer and C.E.O of Mavin Records dropped out of Ambrose Ali University, Ekpoma in his first year.

https://www​.naij.com/299644-8-successf ...

http://www.google.com.ng/url?q=http://www.informationng.com/2014/10/8-famous-nigerians-who-achieve-success-without-university.html&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwjtzInZpunPAhXs34MKHS8wBQ0QFggZMAM&usg=AFQjCNFmAoHvI7wIHQhOxw979Lpetpkchg

1 Like

Re: "Scrap Senate" - Aliyu Saidu Abubakar, Nominee For NCC Board by mecussey(m): 2:53pm On Oct 20, 2016
seguno2:

We had (past tense) our own government headed by Kings with several Chiefs that he consulted for making laws.
True or false?

I dont know if they did there job, my argument is that our Senate is not doing her job. Scrap it, and set up alternative type of government. If its unscrapable, modify the system to suit Nigeria simple. Unless, you want to tell me, Nigerian govt is doing well. The country is nose diving and if it continues this way, it will crash. I only pity the future generation, there hope is just slim. They will need to work harder than we are doing at the moment.
Re: "Scrap Senate" - Aliyu Saidu Abubakar, Nominee For NCC Board by seguno2: 2:55pm On Oct 20, 2016
mecussey:
I dont know if they did there job, my argument is that our Senate is not doing her job. Scrap it, and set up alternative type of government. If its unscrapable, modify the system to suit Nigeria simple. Unless, you want to tell me, Nigerian govt is doing well. The country is nose diving and if it continues this way, it will crash. I only pity the future generation, there hope is just slim. They will need to work harder than we are doing at the moment.

What is your own role in all this beyond saying everything is wrong?

1 Like

Re: "Scrap Senate" - Aliyu Saidu Abubakar, Nominee For NCC Board by nrexzy: 4:42pm On Oct 20, 2016
Xano:
You two among others are 'funny' beings.
An individual with no experience, little to no academic qualification you cheer?

What a disgrace!!!

Professor Emeritus.... congrats Mr all Qualification
Re: "Scrap Senate" - Aliyu Saidu Abubakar, Nominee For NCC Board by mecussey(m): 6:22pm On Oct 20, 2016
seguno2:

What is your own role in all this beyond saying everything is wrong?
:.lol :..I am a good man, and I decided to be good what of you?
Re: "Scrap Senate" - Aliyu Saidu Abubakar, Nominee For NCC Board by apatheticme(f): 6:26pm On Oct 20, 2016
cr7lomo:

What do u expect . When the person that nominated him don't even have school sat... If a certificateless mu.mu can rule us, dipoma for computer science no go b big deal... We lucky say im no even nominate cyper cafe attendant

Lol @cybercafe attendant.

1 Like

Re: "Scrap Senate" - Aliyu Saidu Abubakar, Nominee For NCC Board by apatheticme(f): 6:29pm On Oct 20, 2016
mecussey:

Exactly! Bicameral legislature is too expensive for Nigeria right now. We should be able to have our own modified democracy just like other climes. Adopt some from the western world, modify to suit our needs.
Re: "Scrap Senate" - Aliyu Saidu Abubakar, Nominee For NCC Board by seguno2: 9:34pm On Oct 20, 2016
mecussey:
:.lol :..I am a good man, and I decided to be good what of you?

Same here, bro.
However I go beyond that and seriously encourage others to be good as well and show them why.

1 Like

Re: "Scrap Senate" - Aliyu Saidu Abubakar, Nominee For NCC Board by mecussey(m): 11:59pm On Oct 20, 2016
apatheticme:

Exactly! Bicameral legislature is too expensive for Nigeria right now. We should be able to have our own modified democracy just like other climes. Adopt some from the western world, modify to suit our needs.

..and thats what Nigeria is not doing and not planning to do, it's unfurtunate.
Re: "Scrap Senate" - Aliyu Saidu Abubakar, Nominee For NCC Board by mecussey(m): 12:01am On Oct 21, 2016
seguno2:

Same here, bro.
However I go beyond that and seriously encourage others to be good as well and show them why.

cool you made the same decision...but do you think senator are doing great in there offices?
Re: "Scrap Senate" - Aliyu Saidu Abubakar, Nominee For NCC Board by seguno2: 4:53am On Oct 21, 2016
mecussey:
cool you made the same decision...but do you think senator are doing great in there offices?

They are doing better than they did in 1999 - 2003.
We are making progress in our democracy.
We need to put more pressure to reduce their total salary and allowances to N1,000,000 which is more than the highest paid civil servants get from us.
Cheers.

1 Like

Re: "Scrap Senate" - Aliyu Saidu Abubakar, Nominee For NCC Board by adconline(m): 5:14am On Oct 21, 2016
Does he understand that Naija operates a bicameral legislature?
Does he understand that it will take an act of NASS and presidential consent and 2/3 consent from state legislatures to change the constitution?
Does he understand that the executive still control over 95% of the budget?
Re: "Scrap Senate" - Aliyu Saidu Abubakar, Nominee For NCC Board by mecussey(m): 10:11am On Oct 21, 2016
seguno2:

They are doing better than they did in 1999 - 2003.
We are making progress in our democracy.
We need to put more pressure to reduce their total salary and allowances to N1,000,000 which is more than the highest paid civil servants get from us.
Cheers.

Still saying the same thing...system needs to be modified or changed (scrapped) completely. Those old men fight tooth and nail during election just to sit there. Make it less attractive, you will see those who have passion for it and the country at heart will come up
Re: "Scrap Senate" - Aliyu Saidu Abubakar, Nominee For NCC Board by seguno2: 10:46am On Oct 21, 2016
mecussey:
Still saying the same thing...system needs to be modified or changed (scrapped) completely. Those old men fight tooth and nail during election just to sit there. Make it less attractive, you will see those who have passion for it and the country at heart will come up

What have you done to prevent the old men from being your own representative, senator and state lawmaker?
Pointing fingers and blaming others is the easiest part.
Any Tom, Dick or Harry can do that.
Real men take corrective action.
That is what real men do- take action!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "Scrap Senate" - Aliyu Saidu Abubakar, Nominee For NCC Board by mecussey(m): 2:46pm On Oct 21, 2016
seguno2:

What have you done to prevent the old men from being your own representative, senator and state lawmaker?
Pointing fingers and blaming others is the easiest part.
Any Tom, Dick or Harry can do that.
Real men take corrective action.
That is what real men do- take action!

our votes dont count...therefore scrap the shiiiit. Asking of what i have done, first is to pass the msg accross to everybody including you like am doing right now. When everybody gets the msg, critize it, they will have enough reason to support the scrapping....for David to defeat Goliath, he needs maximum support.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Police Re-Arrest Glory Okolie Weeks After Release From Suleja Prison / Exclusive: Why I’ll Win This Time – Buhari / $322m Abacha Loot: List Of States To Receive Cash In July

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.