Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,223 members, 7,953,847 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 07:45 AM

Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba (78840 Views)

Darapo Mo Egbe Omo Yoruba Atata (odua) Lori Fesibukuu? / Message To Egbe Omo Yoruba - E Gbe Ede Yin Laruge! - / Omo Yoruba, E Je Ka Ki Ara Wa Wipe 'E Ku Something' (Yoruba Greetings) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by sjeezy8: 1:42am On Nov 01, 2009

Helen Lawal
has claimed her second prestigious beauty title in a matter of months by being crowned Miss York 2009, and the year ahead will see her become a flagbearer for the city.

The 23-year-old reigning Miss Black Britain is Nigerian-born, but now lives in Pickering and is studying to become a doctor at the University of York-based Hull York Medical School.

But she left her textbooks behind for a night in favour of glamorous ball-gowns as she received the Miss York sash from the outgoing holder of the title, 20-year-old law student Helen Jackson.

Phillips Olaosebikan Idowu (born 30 December 1978 in the London Borough of Hackney) is a British triple jumper of ethnic Nigerian heritage. He is the current World Champion and World Indoor champion, representing Great Britain and Northern Ireland, as well as reigning Commonwealth Games champion representing England. He also won the silver medal representing Team GB at the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

He is a member of the London-based Belgrave Harriers athletics club and has been for much of his career.

Despite his successes he has at times been accused of inconsistency and of failing to fulfil his potential. His gold medal at the 2009 World Athletics Championships has gone some way towards addressing these criticisms.

Olympic Games
Silver 2008 Beijing Triple Jump
World Championships
Gold 2009 Berlin Triple Jump
Commonwealth Games
Gold 2006 Melbourne Triple Jump
Silver 2002 Manchester Triple Jump
World Indoor Championships
Gold 2008 Valencia Triple Jump
European Indoor Championships
Gold 2007 Birmingham Triple Jump
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by Nobody: 1:59am On Nov 01, 2009
Folake Kuye'

Folake started her journey at the age of 15. After graduating from high school,  She went to a  Nigerian school of fashion. At 21 she created her own line and has been designing since. She has been hired to style celebrities forr award shows, commercials, editorials and films.  Folake recieved a styling certificate from Fred segal beauty and her work has been seen in the likes of W Magazine, Lemonade, Mitsibushi, Urban Outfitters, and  Crouching Tigers, many more.

Go here to see some of  her designs. Gorgeous!!!

http://www.folakekuye.com/
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by sjeezy8: 2:58am On Nov 01, 2009
Daniel Oluwafemi
is a name you might want to remember.  This young Nigerian born model has the potential to head straight to the top.  I spotted Daniel gracing the runways of fantastic designers during Fashion Week in New York and I felt compelled to scoop an interview.  I mean How can I not.  This man has the body of a God and after I envisioned how many ladies would thank me for featuring this eye candy on Amebor it just had to be done.  Frankly when I approached this 22 year old to introduce myself I expected him to be arrogant and dismissive especially because he was surrounded by a bevy of supermodels backstage.  However; to my surprise he was meek and mild which put me at ease therefore I didn’t feel awkward requesting him of his time.  Due to our busy schedules we were unable to meet personally but eventually we were able to speak.  This is how it went.

Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by sjeezy8: 3:02am On Nov 01, 2009
Tosin Akeredolu
Based in both London and Cape Town, model Tosin Akeredolu has been on our radar for a while. With a gazelle like figure, it’s no surprise that her modelling c.v includes stints at Vivienne Westwood and Agent Provocateur. Frustrated by the under-representation of Black and ethnic models in the UK, the 6ft beauty bravely relocated to Cape Town where she’s been inundated with work. Currently with Oxygen models and a lover of British fashion designers, including Avsh Alom Gur, William Tempest and Matthew Williamson, Akeredolu hasn’t given up on carving out a career on our shores, “I love London, it’s my home, but for now I intend to focus on my career in South Africa and return to Europe for fashion week” she says. We say, “Watch this space!”

Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by sjeezy8: 3:12am On Nov 01, 2009
[img]http://4.bp..com/_u3lFqBksmrE/SV_wmtfYJ4I/AAAAAAAAQlM/1qcgv2oKaEk/s400/Mode+Magazine.jpg[/img]

WHEN Ibukun Jegede moved from Nigeria to Sherwood two years ago he had no idea of the opportunities ahead of him.
But it has not taken him long to rise to stardom.
This month he was crowned Best Male Model of the Year in the National Black Entertainment, Film, Fashion, Television and Art Awards. Last year he won Britain's Top Model of Colour headed by his modelling agency Mahogany Models.
Ibukun, who studies information and communication technology at Nottingham Trent University, said: "When I came to the UK I didn't really believe I could be a model, I just came to the UK to do my degree.
"My parents are very proud of me, I remember when I started modelling, I told my mum I wanted to be a model and she just laughed at me but she knew I had a passion for modelling."
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by sjeezy8: 3:34am On Nov 01, 2009
[img]http://www.facebook.com/profile/pic.php?uid=AAAAAQAQLVXE4gGFlX5OcmmAUydvRgAAAAolQK-ti8kst03WHWBy2URc[/img]

half yoruba i guess

Model Aisha Danjuma
on November 2, 1984 in Lagos, Aisha Danjuma stands 1.76m tall. A student who speaks English, Yoruba and Hausa, her role model is Nigerian model Funmi Iyanda. In her own words Aisha admires Funmi for being "very independent" and "an epitome of Africa beauty." And asked to describe herself Aisha says that she is "simple, god-fearing, smart and adventurous."

yo sheeessss MAD hot any one find her holla at me wink
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by sjeezy8: 4:17am On Nov 01, 2009

Michael Olowokandi (born April 3, 1975), nicknamed The Kandi Man, is a Nigerian British professional basketball player formerly in the NBA. He currently is a free agent.

Born in Lagos, Nigeria and raised in London, England, Olowokandi began his collegiate career at Brunel University before enrolling at the University of the Pacific, in Stockton, California, USA, and joined their men's basketball team, despite the fact that he had only started to play basketball at age 17. His junior year, Olowokandi led his team to the NCAA Tournament, and after his senior year was drafted with the first overall pick of the 1998 NBA Draft by the Los Angeles Clippers.

Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by sjeezy8: 4:24am On Nov 01, 2009
9ICE grin

9ice is a south-westerner from Ogbomoso in Oyo State but he grew up in the district of Bariga in Lagos. 9ice attended Abeokuta Primary School and CMS Grammar School, and dropped out from his Law course at the Lagos State University to concentrate on music. He grew up in a polygamous home of five wives and nine children. His parents found about his singing career a year after it started around 2000. Before then, 9ice wrote his own songs dating back to when he was just 14 years old. It is worth noting that as a big fan of Pasuma Wonder, he kick-started his singing career with Fuji music. He is also a big fan of Obesere, popularly known as Oba Alashakasha - the sleaze king of fuji music in Nigeria
[img]http://1.bp..com/_TErdBYYj_NQ/SGk1hykuKSI/AAAAAAAAAeM/Iq_8GMHojR0/s400/9ice,+will+smith,+with+nelson+mandela.jpg[/img]

9ice performed at the Nelson Mandela 90th Birthday Tribute concert (singing "Gongo Aso"wink in London on June 27, 2008.

At the March 2008 edition of the Hip Hop World Awards held in Nigeria, 9ice won the Revelation of the Year award and the Best Male Vocal Performer. A month later at the first Soundcity Music Video Awards, 9ice was nominated in the category of Best New Artiste. 9ice's biggest single is entitled "Gongo Aso".

9ICE OF COURSE HE RAPS AND SINGS IN YORUBA AND THE REST OF AFRICA FEELS YORUBA MUSIC

Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by Nobody: 4:29am On Nov 01, 2009
Femi Emiola

Femi Emiola is an American-born, Nigerian-Filipino actress best known for her role as "Lani Walker" in the My Network TV night-time telenovela Wicked Wicked Games. She is also familiar to audiences as the actress behind "Bianca Turner" - the fashion designer who is the center of the popular web series "If Looks Could Kill".
Femi's television appearances include numerous commercials and the shows ER, Ghost Whisperer, Scrubs, Las Vegas, The New Adventures of Old Christine and The Practice. She also appeared in a Showtime TV special production of short films called Images of War in America: The Invisible Man.

OMG, SHE'S NIGERIAN?! I loved her on GHOST WHISPER shocked shocked cheesy

[img]http://3.bp..com/_0b7Omq_9DzI/Ssnfssc5x1I/AAAAAAAAE80/QLsBnfPHjeE/s400/FemiEmiola.jpg[/img][img]http://4.bp..com/_Aqu_zzz8ogE/SG55q1qMp8I/AAAAAAAAB9g/4SS2iP1mZOU/s400/Femi%2BEmiola%2B3.jpg[/img]
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by sjeezy8: 4:38am On Nov 01, 2009
Alade Aminu

College Ball

NBA Ball

His younger bro Al-Farouq Aminu
This guy is already talking abot entering the nba draft early - better than his older brother

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0810/cbk.top.frontcourts/images/Al-Farouq-Aminu-icon.jpg

Al-Farouq Aminu (born September 21, 1990 in Norcross, Georgia, United States) is an American college basketball player for the Wake Forest Demon Deacons. His parents are Aboubakar Aminu and Anjirlic Aminu. He descends from a line of Nigerian kings and his name Al-Farouq means "the chief has arrived".[1] His brother is Georgia Tech forward Alade Aminu. Al-Farouq is currently projected as the #8 overall pick in RealCollegeBasketball.com's mock for the 2010 NBA Draft.
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by sjeezy8: 4:43am On Nov 01, 2009
Gani Lawal

The one with the ball in his hand

Gani Oladimeji Lawal, Jr. (born November 7, 1988 in College Park, Georgia) is an American college basketball player with the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets men's basketball team. A sophomore, Lawal led the team in field-goal percentage and blocked shots in 2007-2008. During his time at Norcross High School, Lawal was named to the McDonald's All-American Team following his senior season and was Mr. Basketball 2007 in Georgia.[2] After originally entering the draft following his Sophomore year, Lawal pulled out of the draft on June 14th, 2009 to return to Georgia Tech for his Junior year.
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by sjeezy8: 5:16am On Nov 01, 2009

[img]http://1.bp..com/_gxyJ88Jeyk0/R0kJvv6P_GI/AAAAAAAAUuc/XehV7FxsIVY/s200/celestina-in-lloyd-banks-on-fire-music-video.PNG[/img]
Celestina Aladekoba
(born c. 1984) is an American dancer and choreographer. She is perhaps best known for appearing in R&B legend Prince's "Black Sweat" music video, and MTV's original dance themed reality television program DanceLife.

Celestina grew up in Nigeria and Los Angeles, California. She graduated from the University of Southern California in 2004. She is also well known for playing basketball and even winning the Miss California Jr. She danced her way from the background in videos for artists such as Missy Elliott, Will Smith and Beyoncé, to the only leading lady in Prince's popular "Black Sweat" video.

The participant of MTV's reality show, DanceLife, made many fans with a recent performance on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, where the DanceLife cast were featured guests.Celestina's fancy footwork has garnered her comparisons to prominent choreographers such as Fatima Robinson, Debbie Allen and Judith Jamison.

I used to see her on mtv -kudos 4 her
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by Nobody: 6:01am On Nov 03, 2009
One of the top three models in Nigeria

DOLAPO OLORUNISOLA

[img]http://3.bp..com/_IfL2RoqAOoQ/RbhltbELYxI/AAAAAAAAAK4/LqybgdFf9vE/s400/dolapo2.jpg[/img]

Doyin Haastrup

Won model of the year in Nigeria
[img]http://www.facebook.com/profile/pic.php?uid=AAAAAQAQ-yNictD7_iRG8s3VYIba2gAAAArorlsSb7RCvUpObBqaXbX-[/img]
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by AloyEmeka6: 7:23am On Nov 03, 2009
The girl take style ugly well well o. wink Her head be like samba.
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by Nobody: 7:28am On Nov 03, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

actually they're two diff ppl.
I forgot the second person's name
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by THEAMAKA3(f): 8:37am On Nov 03, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

lol
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by Nobody: 1:09am On Nov 04, 2009
Ok its official. Toyin is the most used Yoruba name angry

@post
Toyin Bello a.k.a TY Bello and manager, Yemisi Ilo had a good time at the Hip Hop World Award.Toyin was a member of the Kush, a three member group.TY Bello single 'Greenland' was nominated in the best music video category at the Hip Hop World Award.

[img]http://3.bp..com/_9SoSqLlemNc/R95x6loAJiI/AAAAAAAAAbQ/Ck1mL-eJCpQ/s400/ty.JPG[/img]
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by AloyEmeka6: 1:18am On Nov 04, 2009
sjeezy8:

Alade Aminu

College Ball

NBA Ball

His younger bro Al-Farouq Aminu
This guy is already talking abot entering the nba draft early - better than his older brother

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0810/cbk.top.frontcourts/images/Al-Farouq-Aminu-icon.jpg

Al-Farouq Aminu (born September 21, 1990 in Norcross, Georgia, United States) is an American college basketball player for the Wake Forest Demon Deacons. His parents are Aboubakar Aminu and Anjirlic Aminu. He descends from a line of Nigerian kings and his name Al-Farouq means "the chief has arrived".[1] His brother is Georgia Tech forward Alade Aminu. Al-Farouq is currently projected as the #8 overall pick in RealCollegeBasketball.com's mock for the 2010 NBA Draft.

Sjeezy, are you sure you are Yoruba because the names above are far from being Yoruba. Any name that doesn't sound igbo does not automatically mean Yoruba and vice versa. I've never seen or heard of Yorubas that bear the name Abubabakar or AL- whatever.
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by THEAMAKA3(f): 1:21am On Nov 04, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

Sjeezy, are you sure you are Yoruba because the names above are far from being Yoruba. Any name that doesn't sound igbo does not automatically mean Yoruba and vice versa. I've never seen or heard of Yorubas that bear the name Abubabakar or AL- whatever.
you know this guy will argue with you until tomorrow morning. lol
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by chic2pimp(m): 1:22am On Nov 04, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

The Surname is definitely yoruba.
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by AloyEmeka6: 1:29am On Nov 04, 2009
chic2pimp:

The Surname is definitely yoruba.

Aminu is Yoruba? Since when?
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by chic2pimp(m): 1:46am On Nov 04, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

Aminu is Yoruba? Since when?
Since forever. That's if only it is pronounced in the right way.
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by AloyEmeka6: 2:50am On Nov 04, 2009
I only know of Hausas who use that name. I have never heard of Yoruba who answers Aminu. Jubril Aminu, Aminu Kano etc.
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by muffins(f): 2:45am On Nov 05, 2009
FL Gators:

One of the top three models in Nigeria

DOLAPO OLORUNISOLA

[img]http://3.bp..com/_IfL2RoqAOoQ/RbhltbELYxI/AAAAAAAAAK4/LqybgdFf9vE/s400/dolapo2.jpg[/img]

Doyin Haastrup

Won model of the year in Nigeria
[img]http://www.facebook.com/profile/pic.php?uid=AAAAAQAQ-yNictD7_iRG8s3VYIba2gAAAArorlsSb7RCvUpObBqaXbX-[/img]

What award show is this? undecided
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by AloyEmeka6: 3:55am On Nov 05, 2009
Sir Shina Peters

[img]http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/252/4484498.jpg[/img]

Sir Shina Peters (born 30 May 1958) is a Nigerian Jùjú musician. Born Oluwashina Akanbi Peters in Ogun State, he invented Afro-juju in the late 1980s from Juju music. His career was launched when he played with General Prince Adekunle, later forming his own group.[1] His immensely popular 1989 release Ace (Afro-Juju Series 1) thrust him back into the limelight after disappearing for some time. He is also the Grandmaster of Juju Music GMJ)in Nigeria
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by Nobody: 8:33pm On Nov 05, 2009
@Mamagee,

Nigerian Model of the Year.

@ post

Designer Nike Akinola

"I was really into art at school; I loved painting and making sculptors. I studied art, business studies and economics for my exams. But by the end of my art course my designs had gone from painting portraits and landscapes to cocktail dresses and evening gowns. I realised there and then that this is what I love to do and I was determined to do for a living. Since graduating I been fortunate to work with Phillipa Lepley, Lindka Cierach and Alice Temperley."

Some of her designs

Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by muffins(f): 1:31am On Nov 06, 2009
FL Gators:

@Mamagee,

Nigerian Model of the Year.

@ post

Designer Nike Akinola

"I was really into art at school; I loved painting and making sculptors. I studied art, business studies and economics for my exams. But by the end of my art course my designs had gone from painting portraits and landscapes to cocktail dresses and evening gowns. I realised there and then that this is what I love to do and I was determined to do for a living. Since graduating I been fortunate to work with Phillipa Lepley, Lindka Cierach and Alice Temperley."

Some of her designs

I love the designs of these clothes, it looks so cute. kiss kiss
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by sjeezy8: 4:53am On Nov 06, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

number 1 alade aminu is a muslim-yoruba name and thats his younger brother. Its not New news that There's almost no such thing as an Hausa name. Most if not ALL of their names are muslim/arabic NOT of african origin. The same goes with many Yorubas esp from Ogun Kwara, Oyo and Lagos . Thats like saying bode george isnt a yoruba guy, because his last name is english.

Yorubas with the Alade and aminu names:
adebanji alade
Muyideen Alade Aromire
Dare Art Alade
Aminu Olaribigbe
DR.AMINU KAZEEM OLAWALE
Olajide Aminu
Aminu Adediran
Chief Aminu Akinbode
Alhaji Ismael Aminu - omo ibadan http://www.iduusainc.org/
Muslim yorubas: Alhaji Ladi Hassan from Ilorin West Local Government Council; Alhaji AbdulGaniyu Adebayo Dele, from Oyun Local Government Council.
Alhaji  Abubakar Kannike
[size=14pt]LANRE AMINU, National Coordinator, Oodua Youth for Good- opc member[/size]
Now that im finished proving you guys WRONG again- Whats different in this case its not anything new that MANY yorubas do not bear yoruba names? When Mr. George went to jail everyone was screaming Yoruba man right, so what different in this case?

I wouldnt put a yoruba person there if they're not yoruba. If an igbo claims someone is igbo even if their surname doesnt sound igbo. I wouldnt doubt them, BECAUSE I DONT KNOW IGBO CULTURE TO MAKE CERTAIN ASSUMPTIONS. No biggie educating folks on yorubas is not hard work, even yorubas themselves.
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by THEAMAKA3(f): 5:17am On Nov 06, 2009
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

LMFAO!!!
this guy has written an essay. tongue
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by sjeezy8: 5:24am On Nov 06, 2009
This guy  is a loser^^^ who took time out of her day just to write

THE-AMAKA:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
LMFAO!!!
this guy has written an essay. tongue

which has nothing to do with the topic
go to sleep please
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by THEAMAKA3(f): 5:33am On Nov 06, 2009
sjeezy8:

This guy is a loser^^^ who took time out of her day just to write

which has nothing to do with the topic
go to sleep please
shut the hell up.
hahaha
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by dayokanu(m): 5:46am On Nov 06, 2009
Love is in the air

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Rams Sacrificed Ahead Of Third Mainland Bridge Repair (Photos) / Shilekunola Moronke Naomi, Ooni’s New Wife Begins Duty As Queen Of Ife / Where Is Oduduwa Really From?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.