Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,622 members, 7,823,740 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 02:14 PM

Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba (78116 Views)

Darapo Mo Egbe Omo Yoruba Atata (odua) Lori Fesibukuu? / Message To Egbe Omo Yoruba - E Gbe Ede Yin Laruge! - / Omo Yoruba, E Je Ka Ki Ara Wa Wipe 'E Ku Something' (Yoruba Greetings) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by dayokanu(m): 5:49am On Nov 06, 2009
King Sunny Ade
Otunba Mike Adenuga
Bashorun MKO Abiola
Rotimi Adebari
Tunde Baiyewu
Asha (musician)
Jimoh Ibrahim
Rashidi Yekini
John Fashanu
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by sjeezy8: 5:59am On Nov 06, 2009

Jeffrey Lawal-Balogun: from chasing buses to chasing dreams
Jeffrey Lawal-Balogun powered to the top of the UK 200m rankings with a sensational PB of 20.38 last month. spikesmag.com caught up with him ahead of this weekend’s Aviva World Trials and UK Championships.  It turns out he had a very unusual introduction to the sport…

23-year-old sprinter Jeffrey Lawal-Balogun rocketed to the top of the European rankings with a stellar 200m performance in Switzerland last month. This summer he could be competing for Great Britain at the World Championships in Berlin,  just four years after his talent was spotted – as he sprinted for a bus.

“I was coming home from college when I saw the 28 bus,” Lawal-Balogun tells spikesmag.com. “I started running for it but just missed it.

“A girl saw me run, she said I was fast and that I should go to a club,” he says.
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by sjeezy8: 6:13am On Nov 06, 2009
[size=14pt]Tokumbo daniel[/size]

[img]http://gorgeousblackwomen.files./2009/07/tokumbo21.jpg[/img]

PunchBowl Blog were on hand during London Fashion Week and we couldn’t help but notice how few black and ethnic models were used on the main schedule runways. Other then PPQ groundbreaking all black model catwalk, ethnic models were few and far between which made Tokumbo Daniel stand out even more.

The Models 1 signed, Nigerian model had a consistent season appearing in Vivienne Westwood, Nathen Jenden, Osman and bagging the front cover of The Times Magazine Fashion Issue amongst others. With a distinct, powerful walk and enviable long long legs she’s another face that PunchBowl Blog is endorsing as The Buzz| The Make Up| The Hype.

holla @ me babes kiss i know you will google your name and come across this thread
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by sjeezy8: 6:20am On Nov 06, 2009

Adé was born to a Nigerian royal family in Ondo. His father was a church organist, while his mother was a trader. Adé left grammar school in Ondo under the pretense of going to the University of Lagos. There in Lagos his mercurial musical career started.

Sunny Ade's Musical Sound has evolved from the early day when the band was called Green Spot, then African Beats and Golden Mercury. His career, which began with Moses Olaiya's Federal Rhythm Dandies, a highlife band. He left to form The Green Spots in 1967. Over the years for various reasons ranging from changes in his music to business concerns,Sunny Ade's band changed from being Green spots to African Beats, and then to Golden Mercury.

JuJu music was too much sha smh Fuji music lipsrsealed lol
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by sjeezy8: 6:40am On Nov 06, 2009
[size=14pt]Ronke Oke[/size]

[img]http://3.bp..com/_wlPI90o8ZQ4/SOBUalGKYfI/AAAAAAAAAm0/RbZy-VsdvAY/s400/Miss_Imo_Ronke_Oke%5B1%5D.JPG[/img]

you too kiss i know you will google your own name
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by chic2pimp(m): 7:00am On Nov 06, 2009
sjeezy8:

[size=14pt]Tokumbo daniel[/size]

DAYYYUMMMMMMM shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked DIS PICTURE IS BANGING kiss kiss kiss kiss kissSHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

1 Like

Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by vanitty: 7:06am On Nov 06, 2009
"The Anglican bishop Samuel Adjai Crowther (ca. 1806-1891) was a pioneer African missionary and the first African Anglican bishop in Nigeria. Samuel Crowther, of the Yoruba tribe, was enslaved in 1821 and put aboard a ship which was captured by the, "
More on http://www.bookrags.com/Samuel_Ajayi_Crowther

Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by vanitty: 7:28am On Nov 06, 2009
Wole Soyinka.
Greatest novelist of all time and author of my favorite book "the interpreters"

Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by spikedcylinder: 7:46am On Nov 06, 2009
sjeezy,

I believe "Egbe Omo Yoruba" refers to Yoruba people of Nigerian ancestry.
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by sjeezy8: 8:28am On Nov 06, 2009
spikedcylinder:

sjeezy,

I believe "Egbe Omo Yoruba" refers to Yoruba people of Nigerian ancestry.

hmmm . . . . . . every person on this thread is yoruba no doubt not to mention"Egbe Omo Yoruba" doesn't have anything to do with "Nigerian" ancestry.
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by spikedcylinder: 9:17am On Nov 06, 2009
sjeezy8:

hmmm . . . . . . every person on this thread is yoruba no doubt not to mention"Egbe Omo Yoruba" doesn't have anything to do with "Nigerian" ancestry.

There's a difference between people of Yoruba Ancestry/race and Egbe Omo Yoruba (oodua). And, everyone on this thread is not Yoruba.
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by sjeezy8: 9:26am On Nov 06, 2009
spikedcylinder:

There's a difference between people if Yoruba Ancestry/race and Egbe Omo Yoruba (oodua). And, everyone on this thread is not Yoruba.

I dont think you read what you posted because it makes no sense at all.
"Egbe omo yoruba" is the same thing as omo yoruba incase you didnt know. please if you feel some on this thread arent yoruba point them out. Ill be happy to prove you wrong

cause as i said before i wouldnt put any person who is not of yoruba ancestry on th thread
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by spikedcylinder: 10:21am On Nov 06, 2009
sjeezy8:

I dont think you read what you posted because it makes no sense at all.
"Egbe omo yoruba" is the same thing as omo yoruba incase you didnt know.

Sorry, its not.
Egbe Omo Yoruba refers to the indigenous members of the Yoruba tribe originating in Nigeria (Oduduwa). There are other Yoruba people outside of this group.

sjeezy8:

please if you feel some on this thread arent yoruba point them out. Ill be happy to prove you wrong
sjeezy8:

What did you mean by every person on this thread? Every poster or every person mentioned in the posts?

sjeezy8:

cause as i said before i wouldnt put any person who is not of yoruba ancestry on th thread

As I said before, having Yoruba ancestry is very different from being part of the Egbe Omo Yoruba sect.
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by sjeezy8: 10:31am On Nov 06, 2009

http://www.yorubanation.org/Yoruba.htm- egbe omo yoruba website
Who are the Yoruba?
The first obvious answer to this question is the Yoruba are a nationality, numbering about 40 million, the majority of whom live in the South Western part of the state of Nigeria in West Africa. Obvious as this answer is, it is not wholly explanatory, and certainly, it is not without its own controversy. First, regarding its explanatory status. One has to add, that the Yoruba are people, that speak a common language, Yoruba, which belongs to the Kwa group of the Niger-Congo linguistic family, and it has about 12 dialects; that they are a well urbanized group with genius in arts as symbolized in the famous "Ife Bronzes"; that Yoruba people are also found in Togo, Benin Republic and in other parts of the world, including Brazil, Cuba, Trinidad, and the United States. Second, regarding its controversial status, one has to confront the question what makes the Yoruba a nationality, or a nation, not a tribe or clan, and how does one then mark a distinction between Yorubaland and Nigeria.

now when i say yoruba I mean a person who sabi yoruba well well and can tell their origin. All the people i Posted of being yoruba can do so.

and which people that i posted do you think are not yoruba ?
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by spikedcylinder: 10:40am On Nov 06, 2009
You're not getting it.
I'm not disputing that those you posted are Yoruba people, I'm saying they are not in the Egbe Omo Yoruba sect within the Yoruba people! All those Togolese and Beninoise people you posted are Yoruba but not in Egbe Omo Yoruba!
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by sjeezy8: 10:41am On Nov 06, 2009
please tell me the meaning of "egbe omo yoruba" since you think it means yorubas who are only in Nigeria.
And where in any of its websites or meeting does it say for yorubas in Nigeria ONLY?
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by spikedcylinder: 10:46am On Nov 06, 2009
I explained it before but I might as well give up now and discuss with others who have the ability to grasp.
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by sjeezy8: 10:53am On Nov 06, 2009
i assume youre not yoruba or maybe a very stupid one because any sensible yoruba person would know that egba omo yoruba doesnt have anything to do with being Nigerian as i said earlier. Egbe omo yoruba clearly states " Egbe Omo Yoruba, National Association of Yoruba Descendants . . . . ."

I dont see any particular thing stating ONLY Nigerian yorubas anywhere there

so i think its hard for you to grasp the Idea of what egbe omo yoruba is.

and for your information the Togo and beninoise president have stated their ethnic origins being from ife and oyo. Last time i checked they were both in Yorubaland which happen to be in Naija. So either way your Argument or point is dead. sorry
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by spikedcylinder: 10:57am On Nov 06, 2009
Lol. Ok. cheesy
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by Nobody: 5:08pm On Nov 06, 2009
Can a moderator clean up this thread? undecided
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by spikedcylinder: 5:23pm On Nov 06, 2009
Why? undecided undecided undecided undecided Is what is being discussed unrelated to the subject matter?
All these over sabis floating around. undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by Nobody: 5:42pm On Nov 06, 2009
Over sabi because someone's asking the thread to be cleaned up?
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by spikedcylinder: 5:43pm On Nov 06, 2009
WHY SHOULD THE THREAD BE CLEANED UP? IS THERE ANY OFF TOPIC, SO FAR?
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by Nobody: 5:48pm On Nov 06, 2009
Any reason to shout?

@post
Artist and Designer Nike Davies Okundaye

Nike has given workshops on traditional Nigerian textiles to audiences in the US and Europe during the past 20 years. While she is known for her colorful batik and paintings that offers a modernist gloss on traditional themes, she was brought up amidst the traditional weaving and dying practiced in her native village of Ogidi in Western Nigeria. Her fame as an artist and teacher has taken her all over the globe. Now, she invites you to visit her in Nigeria and immerse yourself in African tradition.

Nike found that the traditional methods of weaving and dying that had been her original inspiration were fading in Nigeria. She used her international success to launch a cultural revival, building art centers where young Nigerians master traditional arts and crafts. You can now visit the world of the Yoruba, to explore a culture that has flourished in Western Nigeria for well over 1000 years.

Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by spikedcylinder: 5:51pm On Nov 06, 2009
It flew right past your head the first time. undecided
Question unanswered by the way. Should I assume you just felt like talking?
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by Nobody: 5:54pm On Nov 06, 2009
spikedcylinder:

It flew right past your head the first time. undecided
Question unanswered by the way. Should I assume you just felt like talking?

I'm to assume that you're looking for someone to trade words with?
What flew past your head the first time? The part where you were typing with lower case or the part where you switched to capitalization?

I obviously made a mistake assuming the thread has been polluted with unnecessary arguement, knowing your NL persona.
I'll leave it at that and let the thread thrive.
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by Nobody: 5:57pm On Nov 06, 2009
Rotimi Adebari (born 1964 in Okeodan, Ogun State) is a Nigerian-born Irish politician. He was elected as the first black mayor in Ireland.

He fled Nigeria in 2000, and made claim for asylum on the grounds of religious persecution, but his application was rejected due to insufficient evidence he had personally suffered persecution.He gained residency in Ireland under the Irish Born Child scheme (since repealed).

He and his family settled in County Laois. In 2004, he was elected as a city councilor in local elections. In June 2007 he was elected as mayor of Portlaoise Town Council (9 members), with support from Fine Gael (2 seats) and Sinn Féin (1 seat).

He completed his master's degree in intercultural studies at Dublin City University.
Rotimi Adebari is the most decorated African in Ireland. In 2004 he became the first and only black man to be elected into the Portlaoise town council. Since then it has been one award after the other. And recently, he capped it up with the Xclusive Awards' Person of the Year 2007.

[img]http://www.xclusive.ie/pix/10/radebari.jpg[/img]
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by spikedcylinder: 5:59pm On Nov 06, 2009
FL Gators:

I'm to assume that you're looking for someone to trade words with?
What flew past your head the first time? The part where you were typing with lower case or the part where you switched to capitalization?

I obviously made a mistake assuming the thread has been polluted with unnecessary arguement, knowing your NL persona.
I'll leave it at that and let the thread thrive.

Arindin, what NL persona? You want me to call you out on yours?
So you asked for a thread to be cleaned up without knowing its content? What does that say about you? When I typed in lower case, you didn't get it, maybe the upper case would have caught your attention since you seem to jump right into the middle of things without knowing its origins. undecided
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by Nobody: 6:01pm On Nov 06, 2009
spikedcylinder:

Arindin, what NL persona? You want me to call you out on yours?
So you asked for a thread to be cleaned up without knowing its content? What does that say about you? When I typed in lower case, you didn't get it, maybe the upper case would have caught your attention since you seem to jump right into the middle of things without knowing its origins. undecided

What ever floats your boat.
Know anyone to contribute the thread?
No? Dont let the door hit you on the way out.

@post
John "Fash" Fashanu (born 18 September 1962 in Kensington, London) is a British television presenter and ex-footballer of Nigerian (paternal) and Guyanese (maternal) descent. In his former career, he was a centre-forward.

Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by spikedcylinder: 6:03pm On Nov 06, 2009
So the people you're posting, you know them or you're pulling them straight out of a website? Can't be the former. Those words most certainly can't be yours, the diction is too good. wink

You should have just kept quiet and not displayed your ignorance. Nonsense.
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by Nobody: 6:04pm On Nov 06, 2009
Tunde Baiyewu (born Tunde Emanuel Baiyewu, 25 November 1968, London) is a Nigerian baritone vocalist who gained fame as part of the easy listening duo, Lighthouse Family. In 2004 he embarked on a solo career, releasing the album, Tunde.

[img]http://www.musik-base.de/images/groups/Tunde.jpg[/img]

Sexy kiss kiss kiss
Re: Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba by sjeezy8: 6:06pm On Nov 06, 2009
[size=14pt]Lanre Da silva- Ajayi - couture fashion week[/size]

LDA’s collection filled the runway with yards of lace, Tartan and adorable flower applique. She features dresses which can be worn out to lunch and those  that will definitely make statements in social events! She mixes soft colours with delicate fabrics to execute very feminine pieces. And as for the bolder pieces, she experiments with  vibrant colour mixes, intense ruffles and rose applique. The pieces in this collection are expressive of an eccentric, vibrant yet an equally subtle personality.

[img]http://4.bp..com/_9SoSqLlemNc/SjVDAbU7PkI/AAAAAAAADNw/afbAvlN85CQ/s400/DSCF9188.JPG[/img]

[img]http://1.bp..com/_5epRcbut6PU/Sm3l9syfKkI/AAAAAAAAAJ4/VJHRLsXEyho/s320/9B_32_IMG_4505_LDS.JPG[/img]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Ooni Of Ife Ogunwusi Catwalks At Fashion Show In Lagos (photos) / Shock As Men Steal Meat From Lions / Where Is Oduduwa Really From?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.