Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,525 members, 7,819,887 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:06 AM

Nigeria's Recession; A Blessing In Disguise - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria's Recession; A Blessing In Disguise (1535 Views)

"Nigeria’s Recession Will Begin To End ‘Slowly’ But ‘Painfully’ In July 2017" / Twitter User Compares Nigeria's Recession With Arsenal / Dino Melaye: 'Nigeria's Recession Will Not End Even If I Sell My Cars" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria's Recession; A Blessing In Disguise by ElsonMorali: 10:02am On Oct 23, 2016
So I saw this wonderful post on FB and decided to share.

"Abuja is probabaly the worst-hit of Nigerian cities by this recession. It is only understandable: Abuja works at nothing but revels in wanton opulence, fed strictly from pens adding zeroes behind a whole number. It's buildings are populated with straw companies gliding on patronage and privilege, not rights, merit and productivity.

Most of its inhabitants are currently in what seems a state of disbelief, if not shock. My son and I walked lazily to Sheraton two Saturdays ago and from the gate you got a surprise: no line of traffic! The lounge was empty as the car park was vacant.

We sat in surprise at the little corners of decay creeping on the lounge, part of which was even poorly lit. Of course, even Maitama an Asokoro are wrapped in thick darkness these days at 8pm if grid power fails.

I was surprised at the black silence I met in these desolate palaces. Everywhere signs hang on homes and high-rise office buildings begging for tenants. I called a number on one and the voice that answered said it was for sale: 3.6billion, seven-story building with a footprint of about 250sqm. "I see".

There is good hiding in evil and sometimes you don't even have to look too deeply to see it. Too many wealth in Nigeria is strictly in figures without any underlying source or feeder spring. If you got your money through work and creativity; if they put you in a desert, you will still replicate the feat.

What is called a recession in regular economics is but a dethronement of false money, the overthrow of pretenders and wealth built with the tip of a pen so that reality and productivity can take over. It is an inevitable passage if nature is correctly programmed.

In a hilarious circle I was told about a typical Abuja moneybag whose fortune has now turned around. He was in money - and you know what I mean. In In height of his affluence he collected two more wives to make a total of three. But the noose had been getting tighter and, all streams gone dry, he applied for a loan from a bank.

Not so well exposed to the hazard of seeking credit from Nigerian banks, he was exceedingly positive he will soon be credited an so went with gusto to the manager's office on an appointed day to get the final answer on his application. When he was told that he had been turned down, he lost control of himself so completely that he pooped on himself right there in the bank.

He was helped into the bathroom and offered a ton of tissues and when he had become manageable, they led him into a taxi and gave him a thousand naira to the bank's happy ending of the personal tragedy.

The story teaches us that wealth without foundation will end in sudden failure. It is not only Abuja or the typical, overweight Nigerian big man, Nigeria itself is a victim of lazy wealth: oil is not a result of hard work or creativity. We don't even as much as have local capacity to drill the oil!

If we don't build our economy by adding value through processing and developing our human resources, we won't end up much better than that poor individual you just laughed at."

Culled from Facebook.

Here's my own opinion:

Most beautiful cities around the world only get to that point after surviving a huge catastrophe, giving them the opportunity to rebuild. The London fire of 1666 comes readily to mind.

Rapacious leaders in the past have destroyed the economy of this country. It's time to start rebuilding from ground zero. It is going to be tough, it is going to be tedious and time consuming, but we will get there.

For the Wailers who are happy to support corrupt personalities online and offline because it gives them a chance to get back at the object of their hate, President Buhari, or because they are from your ethnic stock, I say, you are only doing yourselves.

6 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigeria's Recession; A Blessing In Disguise by Nateben(m): 10:23am On Oct 23, 2016
Ttirri gbosa for you........ undecided

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Recession; A Blessing In Disguise by Prince081: 11:41am On Oct 23, 2016
nice piece.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Recession; A Blessing In Disguise by 7lives: 12:17pm On Oct 23, 2016
A million gbosa for you OP, Nigerians will eventually get it, that there is no free lunch.
Even the lazy hangers on who don't even work at all are also wailing , grin grin grin the hard workers are now holding on tight to their money.
Go to cote d 'ivore, the cheapest thing in that country is food, because the people here are farmers.
Cocoa and Cofee are the forex earners for this country, and mind you the amenities in that country are superb because, their politicians are not greedy like ours.
Unlike Nigeria that SQUANDERED HER OWN RICHES, some times i wonder what would have become of Japan without KNOWLEDGE AND FOCUS after the nuking of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
Our politicians are like the nobles of MING AND JOSEON AND OTHER EVIL ARISTOCRATS WORLD OVER, WHO FEED FAT ON THE SWEATS AND PRIVILEGES OF THE COMMON MEN AND STILL LAUGH THEM TO SCORN.
For me and people of like minds, this economic depression is a welcome development so that MONEY CAN EARN THE RESPECT IT DESERVED.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Recession; A Blessing In Disguise by 989900D: 12:21pm On Oct 23, 2016
The story teaches us that wealth without foundation will end in sudden failure. It is not only Abuja or the typical, overweight Nigerian big man, Nigeria itself is a victim of lazy wealth: oil is not a result of hard work or creativity. We don't even as much as have local capacity to drill the oil!

The saddest part of our predicaments.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Recession; A Blessing In Disguise by ElsonMorali: 3:01pm On Oct 23, 2016
We Nigerians are used to free lunch.

Oil is gone. Time to tighten our belts, buckle our shoes and work for every single kobo we earn.

it is only then that we can feel really pained when we hear that some politician embezzled billions from us.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Recession; A Blessing In Disguise by ElsonMorali: 3:18pm On Oct 23, 2016
7lives:
A million gbosa for you OP, Nigerians will eventually get it, that there is no free lunch.
Even the lazy hangers on who don't even work at all are also wailing , grin grin grin the hard workers are now holding on tight to their money.
Go to cote d 'ivore, the cheapest thing in that country is food, because the people here are farmers.
Cocoa and Cofee are the forex earners for this country, and mind you the amenities in that country are superb because, their politicians are not greedy like ours.
Unlike Nigeria that SQUANDERED HER OWN RICHES, some times i wonder what would have become of Japan without KNOWLEDGE AND FOCUS after the nuking of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
Our politicians are like the nobles of MING AND JOSEON AND OTHER EVIL ARISTOCRATS WORLD OVER, WHO FEED FAT ON THE SWEATS AND PRIVILEGES OF THE COMMON MEN AND STILL LAUGH THEM TO SCORN.
For me and people of like minds, this economic depression is a welcome development so that MONEY CAN EARN THE RESPECT IT DESERVED.

I agree wholeheartedly. I pray that the oil price in the international market remain the way it is forever.

It is time to do what we have put off for so long. Build a viable country that can sustain herself and contribute her quota to the international community.

We have been a leach, a parasite for so long, only consuming with no noticeable output.

Hopefully that is about to change. Maybe now we will realise that producing only plastic goods isn't good enough for us.

If the economic team of Mr. President doesn't think outside the box, then I see this recession dragging on for longer than it should.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's Recession; A Blessing In Disguise by valenu(m): 3:42pm On Jul 27, 2019
ElsonMorali:

I agree wholeheartedly. I pray that the oil price in the international market remain the way it is forever.

It is time to do what we have put off for so long. Build a viable country that can sustain herself and contribute her quota to the international community.

We have been a leach, a parasite for so long, only consuming with no noticeable output.

Hopefully that is about to change. Maybe now we will realise that producing only plastic goods isn't good enough for us.

If the economic team of Mr. President doesn't think outside the box, then I see this recession dragging on for longer than it should.
Has that changed? Noo. You elected a fool thinking he would diversify your economy. When you are not able to detect a fool, you also is a fool. Why vote a fool the second time?
Re: Nigeria's Recession; A Blessing In Disguise by ElsonMorali: 7:15pm On Jul 27, 2019
valenu:

Has that changed? Noo. You elected a fool thinking he would diversify your economy. When you are not able to detect a fool, you also is a fool. Why vote a fool the second time?

I see you're digging through the trash can of Nairaland to see my posts. Keep digging. Hopefully you'll get some sense in your gray matter after reading my old posts.

In the meanwhile, I'm sure you were one of those campaigning seriously for Atiku, the Internationally acclaimed looter thinking he's better than Buhari. Like I said, bury your nose in the trash can and keep digging, hopefully you'll see where I advocated for Sowore.

(1) (Reply)

Breaking! Justice Salauwa Sets Aside Abang's Ruling That Gave INEC Order To Publ / Boko Haram: Nigeria Takes Delivery Of Four Fighter Jets From Pakistan / Buhari To Declare Open South-east Economic And Security Summit. News

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.