Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,871 members, 7,813,967 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:56 PM

The North Is Cheating Us - Evidence - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The North Is Cheating Us - Evidence (1328 Views)

Southerners Erroneously Think The North Is Dependent On The South - Ben Bruce / Show Us Evidence Of The 293 Girls Rescued- Borno Elders To Nigerian Military / Why The North Is Not Responding To Charlie Hebdo Cartoons (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The North Is Cheating Us - Evidence by Beaf: 12:57pm On Oct 26, 2009
You will notice that the words "Federal Government" are missing from the article below. Instead we have "Northern Nigeria Development Company (NNDC)".
Why is it different from the south and the Niger Delta?
angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

Chad Basin: NNDC, AFC Partner on Oil Exploration -Thisday
From Reuben Buhari in Kaduna, 07.21.2008

Northern Nigeria Development Company (NNDC) and the African Finance Corporation (AFC) have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) that will ensure full oil exploration activities around the Benue trough and the Chad basin next year.
This was disclosed when the Group Managing Director of NNDC, Alhaji Aliyu Alkali and the Executive Vice-President of AFC, Mr. Solomon Asamoah, at the weekend, signed the MoU that would ensure that the region's oil and gas reserve of more than 100 billion cubic litres is exploited.
According to the GMD of NNDC, the development of the hydrocarbon potentials of the four oil blocks the company has, OPLs 809 and 810 in the Benue trough and 722 and 733 in the Chad Basin would contribute to the growth of the oil industry in the north and Nigeria in general.
Alkali, who said that signing of the MoU would lead to the generation of 20 megawatts of electricity from the expected discovery in OPL 809 alone, before August 2010, added that a fertilizer plant and further expansion of capacity for generation of more electricity is also planned upon further discoveriy of gas in the remaining OPLs.
Giving a history of NNDC's efforts toward the exploration of oil and gas in the north, Alkali said, "in the Benue trough which is between Bauchi and Gombe states, a few wells had been drilled by multinationals from 1999 to date."
On OPL 809, he said Shell had conducted a work programme on the block and drilled one well named Kolmani River-1 in 1999. The hydrocarbon phase encountered in the well, according to him, was essentially a gas and condensates phase estimated to have minimum gas reserves of between 33 billion to 100 billion cubic feet.
He said that having been satisfied with the available reserves of hydrocarbon in the areas, the NNDC started shopping for a technical partner culminating in the signing of MoU with the AFC.
The AFC vice president, who revealed that the AFC is contributing about $50 million to the project, added that the amount would be increased as the project progresses.
Asamoah who also said that that the north should have oil in the next one year, added that the ability to generate power is a critical component of development and that with the signing of the MoU, the north and Nigeria in general is on the right track toward development

http://www.nigerianmuse.com/articles/20080723152016zg/chad_basin_nndc_afc_partner_on_oil_exploration
Re: The North Is Cheating Us - Evidence by kuzina(f): 1:09pm On Oct 26, 2009
what do u expect.
Re: The North Is Cheating Us - Evidence by Beaf: 1:09pm On Oct 26, 2009
Asamoah who also said that that the north should have oil in the next one year, added that the ability to generate power is a critical component of development and that with the signing of the MoU, the north and Nigeria in general is on the right track toward development

Why is this being done by a private company formed by the Northern states. Are they different from us?
Re: The North Is Cheating Us - Evidence by Beaf: 1:30pm On Oct 26, 2009
Every group in the ND needs to sit down and plan; not just Ijaw this, Urhobo that, Igbo and Ibibio the other etc.

We are going to be sucked dry for the Northern regions development.
Re: The North Is Cheating Us - Evidence by Pharoh: 1:39pm On Oct 26, 2009
This is wakeup exposure for the Niger-Deltans to think about.
Re: The North Is Cheating Us - Evidence by WilyWily: 1:58pm On Oct 26, 2009
I knew of their plane long ago,
Can you see that their own is Northern Development Company.

Please any one from N-Delta what can you people say about this?.
Can you see the intelligence of Dirty Stinking Hausa/Fulani North.

Instead of us to united and encourage out Freedom Fighters to liberate us from the hands of these Parasites, some of our people are at their back stabbing them.
Re: The North Is Cheating Us - Evidence by DJNiyi(m): 2:30pm On Oct 26, 2009
Beaf:

Why is this being done by a private company formed by the Northern states. Are they different from us?
A company formed by Northern state govts is a govt parastatal. State govts are charged with the development of their territories. If a group of them decide to cooperate to do achieve this goal, it is all well and good.

I don't see why this is a problem to anyone. If you are concerned about quid pro quo in light of how revenue from the ND region has been shared, recall that the law still requires that all mineral revenue be subject to a revenue share formula .
Re: The North Is Cheating Us - Evidence by deor03(m): 7:15pm On Oct 26, 2009
Well, i guess if the government of the ND states were serious enough, the would have formed a comnpany ( or many companies) that provide services to the oil industry in their backyard.

There is NO law stopping a state or a group of states to incorporate companies. The ODUA group is an example of a company that took advantage of what they had at that time ( cocoa) to form companies that service the cocoa industry directly and indirectly.

Most of the oil platforms used in Nigeria are Fabricated in Malaysia ( no reference), nothing stops the states from coming together to do such.

When Wilbross was going away, nothing stopped Rivers state govt from buying over and turning it into a big service company.
When the government sold license for refineries, the business oppurtunity was there for them to tap into, With the "few cups" of oil that Ogun state claims to have, they have an oil company incorporated already .
Hyundai services was a state owned company , China ( also has a state owned company) , so nothing stops the ND governors to come together to take advantage of the resources they have + the abundant human resources( N Deltans )to create state owned companies.

Enough of asking, time for the N deltans to take the bull by the horn and tap into business opportunities around them.
Re: The North Is Cheating Us - Evidence by naijaking1: 7:35pm On Oct 26, 2009
Beaf:

Good morning, Niger Delta!
Re: The North Is Cheating Us - Evidence by Nobody: 9:45pm On Oct 26, 2009
Immediately I saw this topic, I expected to see Becomrich as thread starter. I'm highly disappointed in beaf, who I hold in high regard, starting this kind of topic.
Re: The North Is Cheating Us - Evidence by 9ijaprince(m): 11:10pm On Oct 26, 2009
Jarus: i quite disagree with you on this issue. Is there oil in the north? Yes. Why was it not officially known by the FG? Best known by them. I love what one of the poster paid. Niger Delta dont wake up yet its still 3am in the morning. You still have more time to sleep.
Re: The North Is Cheating Us - Evidence by Beaf: 11:51pm On Oct 26, 2009
deor03:

Well, i guess if the government of the ND states were serious enough, the would have formed a comnpany ( or many companies) that provide services to the oil industry in their backyard.

There is NO law stopping a state or a group of states to incorporate companies. The ODUA group is an example of a company that took advantage of what they had at that time ( cocoa) to form companies that service the cocoa industry directly and indirectly.

Most of the oil platforms used in Nigeria are Fabricated in Malaysia ( no reference), nothing stops the states from coming together to do such.

When Wilbross was going away, nothing stopped Rivers state govt from buying over and turning it into a big service company.
When the government sold license for refineries, the business oppurtunity was there for them to tap into, With the "few cups" of oil that Ogun state claims to have, they have an oil company incorporated already .
Hyundai services was a state owned company , China ( also has a state owned company) , so nothing stops the ND governors to come together to take advantage of the resources they have + the abundant human resources( N Deltans )to create state owned companies.

Enough of asking, time for the N deltans to take the bull by the horn and tap into business opportunities around them.

There are numerous indegenious ND oil and gas servicing  companies in the US, so while useful, the above is quite some way off the point. And the point is that the Northern Nigeria Development Company (NNDC) has sold oil blocks to a South African company for EXPLORATION / EXPLOITATION. Why is the ND not allowed such control? Why can't they sell to whom they want or involve any company they choose for exploration and exploitation? Why does the FG own all oil concessions in the ND? Why is it that the FG ALONE can sell an oil blocks in the ND, but it is different up North?

http://nasarawastate.org/newsday/news/economy/10808214834.html
Re: The North Is Cheating Us - Evidence by Beaf: 11:54pm On Oct 26, 2009
Jarus:

Immediately I saw this topic, I expected to see Becomrich as thread starter. I'm highly disappointed in beaf, who I hold in high regard, starting this kind of topic.

Thanks Jarus, I am very aware that this topic is controversial; but there are clear discrepancies that need resolving (see my last post).
Re: The North Is Cheating Us - Evidence by SapeleGuy: 11:58pm On Oct 26, 2009
naijaking1:

Good morning, Niger Delta!

Here we go again! Isaac Boro told you but you wouldn't listen.
Re: The North Is Cheating Us - Evidence by Beaf: 12:05am On Oct 27, 2009
This is very different from the usual FG ownership.

Byline: CARMEN GENTILE

Russian energy firm Gazprom has signed an agreement with the New Nigeria Development Co. for exploration of three oil blocks in the country's north, officials from both countries said.

Though rights to the blocks in the Chad Basin and Benue Trough were first acquired by Gazprom in 2005, the company has taken its time in entering the often volatile oil and gas sector beset by violence from militant groups and armed gangs.

Gazprom is also reportedly set to sign a gas exploration deal with NNDC worth $2.5 billion, Nigerian energy officials said.

"We are going to assist you develop your oil blocks through Gazprom, which is the biggest natural gas company in the world," said Russian Ambassador to Nigeria Alexander Polyakov, who added that the Russian energy giant was intent on bringing new oil and gas extraction technology to Nigeria.

This isn't the first time that Gazprom has made inroads into entering the West African oil and gas sectors in hopes of challenging longstanding players in Nigeria like Exxon Mobil, Royal Dutch Shell and Chevron.

In November 2007, Gazprom announced it was seeking additional ventures in West Africa to complement its already established relationship with Angola's state energy company, Sonangol.

http://www.accessmylibrary.com/article-1G1-196983332/analysis-russia-moves-nigeria.html
Re: The North Is Cheating Us - Evidence by 700john: 12:07am On Oct 27, 2009
is not cheating is rather a time frame. there is time for every purpose under the sun!
Re: The North Is Cheating Us - Evidence by naijaking1: 1:02am On Oct 27, 2009
SapeleGuy:

Here we go again! Isaac Boro told you but you wouldn't listen.

Can't ever run away from history.
Re: The North Is Cheating Us - Evidence by naijaking1: 2:28am On Oct 27, 2009
Whatever happened to OBJ's federal land use act where the federal goverment is the owner of any land with mineral in it? Is it now owned by northern region? I guess they can just wait until the oil in N/D dries up before they start drilling.
Re: The North Is Cheating Us - Evidence by udezue(m): 3:44am On Oct 27, 2009
[b]Can't ever run away from history.[/b]GBAM
Re: The North Is Cheating Us - Evidence by Goldmind1(m): 8:53am On Oct 27, 2009
I pity for the Niger deltans. Ojukwu was crucified for doing what he thought was right then. Well, let's see how it goes. i think it's time we chase these parasites out of oil producing regions of Imo and Abia (South east).

My slogan for Nigeria "[i][/i][b][/b]Failed Nation, failed Government"
Re: The North Is Cheating Us - Evidence by Goldmind1(m): 8:56am On Oct 27, 2009
I pity for the Niger deltans. Ojukwu was crucified for doing what he thought was right then. Well, let's see how it goes. i think it's time we chase these parasites out of oil producing regions of Imo and Abia (South east).

My slogan for Nigeria "[/i][/b]Failed Nation, failed Government"[i][b]
Re: The North Is Cheating Us - Evidence by SapeleGuy: 6:56pm On Oct 27, 2009
Gold-mind:

My slogan for Nigeria "[/i][/b]Failed Nation, failed Government"[i][b]

Isaac Boro raised this issue before Ojukwu, so let us not pretend that Ojukwu started anything new.

Pity doesn't help anybody, anyway how do you intend to chase 'these parasites' out of Imo and Abia?
Re: The North Is Cheating Us - Evidence by naijaking1: 7:26pm On Oct 27, 2009
SapeleGuy:

Isaac Boro raised this issue before Ojukwu, so let us not pretend that Ojukwu started anything new.

Pity doesn't help anybody, anyway how do you intend to chase 'these parasites' out of Imo and Abia?

Unfortunately, taking oil from the former eastern Nigeria and even the midwestern region under the guise of the land use act is seem as one of the spoils of the civil war

(1) (Reply)

Buhari/bakare Ticket, Post Ideas To Make It Happen! / 1,000 Killed In Zankowa Post-election Violence / Ijaw Companies In Delta State Less 30, Yoruba Companies In Delta State Over 1000

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.