Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,332 members, 7,811,970 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:11 AM

Is Mary The Mother Of God? Is Mary The Theotokos (God-bearer)? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Mary The Mother Of God? Is Mary The Theotokos (God-bearer)? (11002 Views)

Is Mary Omnipresent Like God That She Can Hear All Those Praying To Her? / Mary The Mother Of Jesus Had No Other Children. A Biblical Perspective / Is Mary Really The Queen Of Heaven? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? Is Mary The Theotokos (God-bearer)? by Ubenedictus(m): 10:50pm On Dec 26, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

If Mary was at a point greater than the almighty God then that explains why you guys worship and adore her.
non seqitur
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? Is Mary The Theotokos (God-bearer)? by sonmvayina(m): 10:58pm On Dec 26, 2016
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? Is Mary The Theotokos (God-bearer)? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:49am On Dec 27, 2016
Ubenedictus:

Oh, i believe the bible that says Jesus had the fullness of the godhead so he was never lacking in knowledge as to who he is or in power.

Even in His childhood? undecided
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? Is Mary The Theotokos (God-bearer)? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:53am On Dec 27, 2016
Ubenedictus:

IT SEEMS U DIDNT SEE WHAT U POSTED

your scholars clearly state that JESUS COULD NOT CEASE BEING GOD, I.E there was no time when Jesus wasnt God even in the womb of mary.

Selective reading indeed. Did you miss the preceding sentence where it said the following?:

"He was not fearful of losing His deity when He exchanged the outward form of God for the outward form of man; that is, He did not have to cling to His deity as a robber would his plunder."

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? Is Mary The Theotokos (God-bearer)? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:35am On Dec 27, 2016
Syncan:

Matt. 2:11

And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down, and worshipped him: and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto him gifts; gold, and frankincense, and myrrh.

Did the wise men commit Idolatory in the passage above?

No. Remember, it was not obvious who Jesus was before arriving here on earth. The wise men could discern through diligent studying and meditating on the Scriptures, see who Jesus really was, that He was God who became a man so as to make men become the sons of God.
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? Is Mary The Theotokos (God-bearer)? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:39am On Dec 27, 2016
Syncan:

Show me any one that said she isn't the mother of God.

No one said Mary isn't the mother of God because it would be preposterous to suggest that she was in the first place. cool

1 Like

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? Is Mary The Theotokos (God-bearer)? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:40am On Dec 27, 2016
Nobleking2000:

God the son.

Who is contesting that He is not? undecided
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? Is Mary The Theotokos (God-bearer)? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:41am On Dec 27, 2016
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? Is Mary The Theotokos (God-bearer)? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:42am On Dec 27, 2016
MrMontella:

why are you refusing to reply syncan?

What post are you referring to? undecided
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? Is Mary The Theotokos (God-bearer)? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:46am On Dec 27, 2016
MrMontella:

see..there's another pauline supposedly inspired book...thats not in the bible..

which ?
the one martin luther determined or the one the catholics did?
Or the one of the assyrian church of the east?
Or the coptic bible?
Which one sire?

how do you also account for instances in the
bible like Matt 2:23?
Matt 23:2-3?
1 Cor 10:4?
2 Tim 3:8?
1 Peter 3:19?
Jude 9?
James 5:17?
None of these statements appear in the old testament..
Even Jesus quoted a statement not found in the old testament in John 7:38

but they appear in other non-canonized books...
Are the also non-inspired?

Even in the old testament there are cases like these...some books are/were considered the word of God but are not in your bible...eg The acts of solomon

??
Cc.olaadegbu solite3

Non sequitur!
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? Is Mary The Theotokos (God-bearer)? by Nobody: 5:22am On Dec 27, 2016
Ubenedictus:
Which passage is it written that john was filled with the holyspirit in the womb?

Luke 1:15 For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother's womb.

2 Likes

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? Is Mary The Theotokos (God-bearer)? by Nobody: 5:29am On Dec 27, 2016
Ubenedictus:
if Jesus never stopped being God, then he certainly was still God in d womb of mary abi?

lastly, will u agree that mary is d mother of the Lord?
Mary is the mother of the lord Jesus Christ but not the mother of God.
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? Is Mary The Theotokos (God-bearer)? by Nobody: 5:35am On Dec 27, 2016
Ubenedictus:
actually since d word took flesh mary will b d mother of the word that took flesh, not just d flesh
have you ever read any where in the bible where Mary is called mother of the word? Mary can only be called mother of Jesus.
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? Is Mary The Theotokos (God-bearer)? by Nobody: 5:43am On Dec 27, 2016
Ubenedictus:
Actually u can connect d whole person of Christ to time even his divine nature! About 2000yrs ago God decided to be with man immanuel, God took flesh in mary's womb, God was born by a virgin, God walked the earth, and becos flesh cannot pay my ransom God who took flesh died, God rose again. so yes God can be pinpointed in history, he came to live with us, if we had d immanuel (God with us) then he was certainly born by a virgin.
you should have addressed my posts. I told you Jesus the man is different from God do you agree?
When Jesus died did God die?
When Jesus slept did God sleep?
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? Is Mary The Theotokos (God-bearer)? by Nobody: 5:50am On Dec 27, 2016
Ubenedictus:
Whether or not reincarnation is myth, my point still stands, a woman of 30 can claim that her daughters spirit is 100yrs old and she will still be a mother, because the test of motherhood is offspring not preexistence.
if two women comes to you and one is 40 and the other is 20 who is likely going to be the mother and why do you think so? If pre existence is not a test for motherhood.
If a woman claim her daughter spirit is 100years old it must mean she had other mothers behofore who do you think will be the rightful mother?
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? Is Mary The Theotokos (God-bearer)? by Nobody: 5:58am On Dec 27, 2016
MrMontella:

see..there's another pauline supposedly inspired book...thats not in the bible..

which ?
Or the coptic bible?
Which one sire?

Jude 9?

Even in the old testament there are cases like these...some books are/were considered the word of God but are not in your bible...eg The acts of solomon

??
Cc.olaadegbu solite3

Matthew 2:23 And he came and dwelt in a city called Nazareth: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophets, He shall be called a Nazarene.

Matthew 23:2 Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat: 23:3 All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not
1 Corinthians 10:4 And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ..

2 Timothy 3:8 Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt free minds, reprobate concerning the faith.

1 Peter 3:19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;

Jude 1:9 Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee.

James 5:17 Elias was a man subject to like passions as we are, and he prayed earnestly that it might not rain: and it rained not on the earth by the space of three years and six months.
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? Is Mary The Theotokos (God-bearer)? by Nobody: 5:59am On Dec 27, 2016
MrMontella:

which ?
Or the coptic bible?
Which one sire?

Jude 9?

??
Cc.olaadegbu solite3

Matthew 2:23 And he came and dwelt in a city called Nazareth: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophets, He shall be called a Nazarene.

Matthew 23:2 Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat: 23:3 All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not
1 Corinthians 10:4 And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ..

2 Timothy 3:8 Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt free minds, reprobate concerning the faith.

Jude 1:9 Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee.

James 5:17 Elias was a man subject to like passions as we are, and he prayed earnestly that it might not rain: and it rained not on the earth by the space of three years and six months.

I don't see the correlation of this in to what is been discuss.
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? Is Mary The Theotokos (God-bearer)? by freshboi88: 6:32am On Dec 27, 2016
solite3:
Mary is the mother of the lord Jesus Christ but not the mother of God.

Mary is the mother of Jesus but not the mother of God??....is Jesus not God??..... U lack common sense......

Even during the visitation, Elizabeth Marys aunt say... How is it that the "mother of my Lord" come to me......
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? Is Mary The Theotokos (God-bearer)? by freshboi88: 6:44am On Dec 27, 2016
solite3:
you should have addressed my posts. I told you Jesus the man is different from God do you agree?

Jesus is Jesus, stop this nonsense and foolish argument, u whip up insane theory just to please ur argument..... When Jesus died God the son died and was raised up three days after for u and I.............. Yes God the son died, if Thts what u can't bear to say, he died for u and for me so that we can hVe life, thts was Gods purpose on earth...........

Pls stop twisting the bible and propagating heretic messages just to defend ur foolish and stupid argument. Pls look for another argument, because this one is so stupid has no scriptural backing

Jesus is Jesus.... So when Christ died and was raised was it God D man or God d God that arose.... because he arose with his flesh... So what the hell are u talking about

I Know what ur problem is, u can't just imagine Mary a woman bin the mother of God.....well Jesus is God and Mat
Mary is his mother...... Deal with it!!!!!!....

Even Elizabeth called her the "mother of My LORD!!!!!!!"... Not the mother of Man Jesus, so we're r u getting this theory from, from ur twisted mind I guess
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? Is Mary The Theotokos (God-bearer)? by CAPTIVATOR: 7:24am On Dec 27, 2016
solite3:

that means he wasnt God when on earth ?

1 Like

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? Is Mary The Theotokos (God-bearer)? by Syncan(m): 7:38am On Dec 27, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

No. Remember, it was not obvious who Jesus was before arriving here on earth. The wise men could discern through diligent studying and meditating on the Scriptures, see who Jesus really was, that He was God who became a man so as to make men become the sons of God.

So your answer is NO they didn't commit Idolatry. This can only be true if they worshiped God and not man, that's why I am not sure of your position in this, because up there, in your reply to Ubenedictus, you don't believe Jesus was God as a child. Now in your reply to me, you agree that the wise men worshiped him (infant Jesus) as God. Ayam not understanding o
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? Is Mary The Theotokos (God-bearer)? by Syncan(m): 7:43am On Dec 27, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

No one said Mary isn't the mother of God because it would be preposterous to suggest that she was in the first place. cool

Hahahaha, now we have a reason for some truths not to be in the scripture. Carry on.
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? Is Mary The Theotokos (God-bearer)? by Syncan(m): 7:54am On Dec 27, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Even in His childhood? undecided

OLAADEGBU:

Did you just say Jesus always knew who He was, even as from year 0-12? undecided

You de fall my hand o, do you think the taught suddenly came to him at age 12? See Lk.2:42-52

He taught the wise and learned, and called this preaching/teaching ministry "My father's business".
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? Is Mary The Theotokos (God-bearer)? by Nobody: 10:58am On Dec 27, 2016
freshboi88:

Mary is the mother of Jesus but not the mother of God??....is Jesus not God??..... U lack common sense......

Even during the visitation, Elizabeth Marys aunt say... How is it that the "mother of my Lord" come to me......
stop this your rant and communicate intelligently. Did I tell you Mary is not the mother of the Lord Jesus?
God made the man Jesus both Lord and christ.
No where was Mary called the mother of God or God bearer.
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? Is Mary The Theotokos (God-bearer)? by Nobody: 10:59am On Dec 27, 2016
CAPTIVATOR:

that means he wasnt God when on earth ?
where did I say so? undecided
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? Is Mary The Theotokos (God-bearer)? by freshboi88: 11:02am On Dec 27, 2016
solite3:
stop this your rant and communicate intelligently. Did I tell you Mary is not the mother of the Lord Jesus?
God made the man Jesus both Lord and christ.
No where was Mary called the mother of God or God bearer.

So God made the Man Jesus Lord and Saviour but not God??..... Can u hear urself..... U should be laughing at ur foolishness!!!!!!....... E b like say this one leave hin sense inside e mama womb

1 Like

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? Is Mary The Theotokos (God-bearer)? by CAPTIVATOR: 11:32am On Dec 27, 2016
solite3:
where did I say so? undecided

seems you are confused or sleeping when u said Jesus the man is Different from God, is Jesus just a man while on earth or Mary gave birth to God ?
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? Is Mary The Theotokos (God-bearer)? by MrMontella(m): 11:41am On Dec 27, 2016
solite3:

this prophecy cannot be found in the old testament..
But can be found in extra biblical tradition

Jesus is saying that the pharisees have a legitimate authority based on Moses seat ..this cannot be found in the old testament...but can be found in a jewish traditional book called the MISHNAH which teaches some sort of ''teaching succession'' from moses

the idea that a rock followed the israelites..is not in the old testament....only found in oral jewish tradition...

2 Timothy 3:8 Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt free minds, reprobate concerning the faith.
this statement is gotten from The Book Of Jasher..
So the author of timothy considered this book to be ''scripture''

directly lifted from the book of enoch

this is gotten from an extrabiblical work called ''the assumption of moses''

the lack of rain for three years and six months..is not stated in the old testament

I don't see the correlation of this in to what is been discuss.
do you now see?

It is a questioning of your statement that everybook besides the ones in your pentecostal bible is forged or uninspired..

Cc olaadegbu

2 Likes

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? Is Mary The Theotokos (God-bearer)? by MrMontella(m): 11:46am On Dec 27, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Non sequitur!
i know... But i posted it to see your answer on sola scriptura... Not una mary talk

1 Like

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? Is Mary The Theotokos (God-bearer)? by Nobody: 7:56am On Dec 29, 2016
freshboi88:

So God made the Man Jesus Lord and Saviour but not God??..... Can u hear urself..... U should be laughing at ur foolishness!!!!!!....... E b like say this one leave hin sense inside e mama womb
smh because you know nothing. When Jesus said he doesn't know the time of his coming does that mean God doesn't know?
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? Is Mary The Theotokos (God-bearer)? by Nobody: 8:02am On Dec 29, 2016
CAPTIVATOR:

seems you are confused or sleeping when u said Jesus the man is Different from God, is Jesus just a man while on earth or Mary gave birth to God ?
Jesus has two nature God and man.
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? Is Mary The Theotokos (God-bearer)? by Nobody: 8:29am On Dec 29, 2016
[quote author=MrMontella post=52296242]

this prophecy cannot be found in the old testament..
But can be found in extra biblical tradition

Jesus is saying that the pharisees have a legitimate authority based on Moses seat ..this cannot be found in the old testament...but can be found in a jewish traditional book called the MISHNAH which teaches some sort of ''teaching succession'' from moses
Jesus didn't quote those books as authority. Jesus also command his disciples to pay tax.Jesus wanted his disciples to obey authority.

the idea that a rock followed the israelites..is not in the old testament....only found in oral jewish tradition...
the rock that Paul was talking about was christ not physical rock.

this statement is gotten from The Book Of Jasher..
So the author of timothy this book to be ''scripture''
I never said there was no other book but the bible today is the only book given by God.

directly lifted from the book of enoch

there may be book of Enoch but there is no evidence that it exist it may just be prophecy that was passed down generations orally.

this is gotten from an extrabiblical work called ''the assumption of moses''
there is no evidence

the lack of rain for three years and six months..is not stated in the old testament
it is but number of years was not stated.

do you now see?

It is a questioning of your statement that everybook besides the ones in your pentecostal bible is forged or uninspired..
I didn't tell you there are no other books.

John 21:25 And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen.

John 20:31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Enough Is Enough It Is Time To Engage Your Angels. / Does Fasting Really Starts By 12am? / "Return Nigeria To God" - Pastor John Oluwadare Urges Buhari, Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.