Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,159 members, 7,860,145 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 06:44 AM

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 - Travel (175) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 (988235 Views)

Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 5 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 5 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (172) (173) (174) (175) (176) (177) (178) ... (416) (Go Down)

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by gidey: 10:42pm On Mar 16, 2017
ladee1:
Thanks to the wonderful e family, travelled at 36weeks, 24 hours in the air, no single questions asked at Poe, hubby, me, mum and toddler stamped for six months, delivered babies the next day, no jaundice, no need for incubator or transfusion. To God be the glory. Was presented a bill of $24k at Ben Taub. Pls does anyone know how I can go about the negotiate, learnt once I pay any amount out of it I can get an account statement, babies were also registered automatically for Medicaid and WIC, can I use the WIC card and Medicaid cos I don't want any issues with my visa renewal. Pls I need help on how to go about the WIC and Hosp bills negotiation.

Did you pay your hospital bill before delivery, I contacted a hospital who told me the self pay discount only applicable if your bill paid before delivery, if not hospital bill for self pay meant to be 3500 increases to 18k. Next time you plan your trip well to have time to settle in because you may have been treated a s emergency, making your bill high. All the best as you try to sort your bill and don't bother using medicaid or kiss your renewal goodbye.

3 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by ladee1: 10:57pm On Mar 16, 2017
gidey:

Did you pay your hospital bill before delivery, I contacted a hospital who told me the self pay discount only applicable if your bill paid before delivery, if not hospital bill for self pay meant to be 3500 increases to 18k. Next time you plan your trip well to have time to settle in because you may have been treated a s emergency, making your bill high. All the best as you try to sort your bill and don't bother using medicaid or kiss your renewal goodbye.

I was told I can't pay until I deliver, I had an appointment at the hospital same day I did the surgery due to the scan result as such don't think it's an emergency, am not going near Medicaid at all but for WIC, it's on US.gov site that it's ok to benefit from it, that's why am seeking clarification. Thanks for the wishes
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by gidey: 11:13pm On Mar 16, 2017
ladee1:

I was told I can't pay until I deliver, I had an appointment at the hospital same day I did the surgery due to the scan result as such don't think it's an emergency, am not going near Medicaid at all but for WIC, it's on US.gov site that it's ok to benefit from it, that's why am seeking clarification. Thanks for the wishes

Then simply speak with the financial counselors and let them know you are self pay, they most likely billing you like insurance, insist you are self pay and show the previous bill you were given before you appointment. I believe they would reduce it for you.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by ladee1: 11:18pm On Mar 16, 2017
gidey:

Then simply speak with the financial counselors and let them know you are self pay, they most likely billing you like insurance, insist you are self pay and show the previous bill you were given before you appointment. I believe they would reduce it for you.

Thanks unfortunately they don't give bills prior to delivery, it was over the phone! It was also mentioned that I can't start negotiation until the final bill is out in 30days
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by sugah: 11:44pm On Mar 16, 2017
ladee1:
Thanks to the wonderful e family, travelled at 36weeks, 24 hours in the air, no single questions asked at Poe, hubby, me, mum and toddler stamped for six months, delivered babies the next day, no jaundice, no need for incubator or transfusion. To God be the glory. Was presented a bill of $24k at Ben Taub. Pls does anyone know how I can go about the negotiate, learnt once I pay any amount out of it I can get an account statement, babies were also registered automatically for Medicaid and WIC, can I use the WIC card and Medicaid cos I don't want any issues with my visa renewal. Pls I need help on how to go about the WIC and Hosp bills negotiation.
Ben Taub is a county hospital...And from what I know about county hospitals the reduced bill ONLY applies if you sign a contract prior to receiving medical care. So did you sign your reduced bill package contact before your delivery?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by Flowers: 12:00am On Mar 17, 2017
Mrsc22:

Am traveling by nextweek. This is my oakbend breakdown:

Doctor D: 2400
Hospital: 2500
Ped: 417
Lab: 270
Ist visit: 145

Hello Madam is Dr. F still charging 145 for first visit and for scan?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by Bisoye82: 12:02am On Mar 17, 2017
ladee1:

Thanks unfortunately they don't give bills prior to delivery, it was over the phone! It was also mentioned that I can't start negotiation until the final bill is out in 30days

Firstly congratulations on the birth of your babies.
As a twin mum why would you leave the issue of bill inconclusive shocked and I believed you read a good portion of this thread before embarking on this journey.
You are supposed to have an idea of any and every kind of bill that could come up.
Then travelling at 36 weeks with multiple pregnancy is super crazy(crazy being the nicest word I could up with)because I could barely walk to the bathroom not to talk of flying and I was just holding on for hubby to come because even my Dr was ready and every single vein/part of me was already overstretched shocked
I also remembered you were asking loads of questions before you travelled and still wait for the hospital to slap you with a bill of $24k shocked and now you want to be knocking on financial counsellor door while you are supposed to be resting and be enjoying your babies
My point is madam your planning is not optimal at all.
As for WIC and Medicaid,honestly I don't believe it's automatic(other mama's pls correct me if am wrong) because you definitely have to fill and sign a form first
I remember I was asked/offered when I went for the hospital tour and also the paed mentioned it but I said no.
So basically the ball is in your court to do what's right by you and your family.
Congratulations once again

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by baeboss: 1:02am On Mar 17, 2017
Mrsc22:

Am traveling by nextweek. This is my oakbend breakdown:

Doctor D: 2400
Hospital: 2500
Ped: 417
Lab: 270
Ist visit: 145

Thank you Mrsc22
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by Vlesparza: 1:07am On Mar 17, 2017
baeboss:

Hi vlesparza please can you throw more light on the 50%discount at participating hotels......will really appreciate it. Thank you.

You should have received the information once you enrolled along with your documentation. Email the person at Doctores Para Ti that you have been communicating with if you did not receive the info.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by MamaOO: 1:36am On Mar 17, 2017
Bisoye82:

As a twin mum why would you leave the issue of bill inconclusive shocked and I believed you read a good portion of this thread before embarking on this journey.
You are supposed to have an idea of any and every kind of bill that could come up.
Then travelling at 36 weeks with multiple pregnancy is super crazy(crazy being the nicest word I could up with)because I could barely walk to the bathroom not to talk of flying and I was just holding on for hubby to come because even my Dr was ready and every single vein/part of me was already overstretched shocked
I also remembered you were asking loads of questions before you travelled and still wait for the hospital to slap you with a bill of $24k shocked and now you want to be knocking on financial counsellor door while you are supposed to be resting and be enjoying your babies
As for WIC and Medicaid,honestly I don't believe it's automatic(other mama's pls correct me if am wrong) because you definitely have to fill and sign a form first
I remember I was asked/offered when I went for the hospital tour and also the paed mentioned it but I said no.
So basically the ball is in your court to do what's right by you and your family.
You're right. Medicaid and WIC is not automatic. You just have declared that you're a low income earner and may not be able to pay your bills, hence they register you for Medicaid. I know for sure that they will come to you and ask for income and personal details to determine your eligibility for both programs.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by MamaOO: 1:37am On Mar 17, 2017
ladee1:

Mom that wants to use WIC because it's stated on the Us.gov website. WIC is not for you. You don't live or pay taxes in the US. This is the WIC eligibility link for California https://www.cdph.ca.gov/programs/wicworks/Pages/WICEligibilityAssessment01.aspx
Once it asks you if you live in CA and you indicate that you don't live here, it tells you, "You're not eligible"

4 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by mumcshyn: 3:09am On Mar 17, 2017
Hello all, I heard Conroe regional hospital is cheap.Conroe is somewhere around Houston.this is not an advert. Epidural is $700 dts d only thing I could confirm. U can make enquiries

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by ladee1: 3:09am On Mar 17, 2017
sugah:

Ben Taub is a county hospital...And from what I know about county hospitals the reduced bill ONLY applies if you sign a contract prior to receiving medical care. So did you sign your reduced bill package contact before your delivery?

Never knew anything like that existed
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by ladee1: 3:20am On Mar 17, 2017
Bisoye82:

Thanks, however I was super fit till my delivery date, and my doc hubby was on board. it was the positioning of the babies that made me deliver the next day! As for WIC, it's stated on US site and as such shouldn't affect visa Renewal, don't know about Medicaid though. As for the Hosp bills, I got info on here from mamas that have used the hospital that they paid $5k, the decision to use the hospital was not out of research, I maintained I didn't remember signing any Medicaid form was surprised when I was told the babies got it. Appreciate ur input
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by ladee1: 3:25am On Mar 17, 2017
MamaOO:

Mom that wants to use WIC because it's stated on the Us.gov website. WIC is not for you. You don't live or pay taxes in the US. This is the WIC eligibility link for California https://www.cdph.ca.gov/programs/wicworks/Pages/WICEligibilityAssessment01.aspx
Once it asks you if you live in CA and you indicate that you don't live here, it tells you, "You're not eligible"

Unfortunately at WIC office in Houston, we were told visitors are eligible
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by FADEO: 6:02am On Mar 17, 2017
congratulation. no matter what its always good to be truthful. had a smooth experience in HOUSTON POE too in January. I shared it here. it was so smooth till DW was asking is that all? Money was not counted no secondary interrogation.

Congratulations bro and safe Delivery to your DW. Am preparing to leave by next week and will share the full detail of everything from VISA Application to returning Home.

Menendez:
The Houston POE Experience....
Arrival Houston 19:30 (Emirates). There was no cue as we were the only flight that arrived at that time.

My Turn; approached the counter with a smile (As courtesy demands)
Me: Good day (Handing over our passports)
CBP: Good day (stretching his hands reaching out for our passports)
CBP: looking through our passports says "why are u here"
Me: For childbirth.
CBP: Scans my passport first, then his eye catches on a certain information on the computer screen and he seriously reads through it for about 10sec with his eye brows raised and then suddenly says "Ok place ur four right / left fingers on the scanner" (At this point, I knew it was over, I became more relaxed)

My advise is to be well prepared, say the truth, and never forget to involve GOD. Doesn't matter what POE. You'll b successful.....

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by nefertitiram: 6:35am On Mar 17, 2017
ladee1:

Thanks, however I was super fit till my delivery date, and my doc hubby was on board. it was the positioning of the babies that made me deliver the next day! As for WIC, it's stated on US site and as such shouldn't affect visa Renewal, don't know about Medicaid though. As for the Hosp bills, I got info on here from mamas that have used the hospital that they paid $5k, the decision to use the hospital was not out of research, I maintained I didn't remember signing any Medicaid form was surprised when I was told the babies got it. Appreciate ur input

Congrats on your twin babies. God bless and keep them.

As your mind is already made up I don't understand what you want from us here. People with experience have chipped in.

Travelling at 36 weeks is a no no with multiple pregnancy. No doctor in this world should declare that fit to fly. God forbid if you were turned back at the POE which grammar will you speak? As your doc hubby was on board meaning what? He will be able to deliver you abi? It is as easy as that?

You did not sign the contract with Ben taub for the cheaper self pay rate before delivery hence you lost that window of opportunity.

Why are you arguing WIC and Medicaid with nairaland members? Save the argument for the Visa officer during renewal.

You simply did not plan well for this journey and it was God that took control if not it would not have been a funny situation.

Congrata once again.

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by tekst: 6:49am On Mar 17, 2017
tekst:
@Desoul please I need help with visa on arrival, I've requested for permission to PM you. Or anyone with desoul's contact if she's not available? Thank you.

Desoul, please help a sister. House, any one with details on visa on arrival or how to contact desoul. Ejo o, biko.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by bomly(f): 7:10am On Mar 17, 2017
Finding a short stay accommodation is an issue for me

please anyone whom have stayed closed to richmond houston

any recommendation?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by chibertha(f): 7:44am On Mar 17, 2017
Are you talking of Richmond avenue parallel to westhimer or Richmond
If it is the avenue the on sam Houston parkway South around 3030 there are a lot of them
Studio6 etc.
A Mama in here used soulcareconcierge check them out too.
Some others mentioned airbnb.

bomly:
Finding a short stay accommodation is an issue for me

please anyone whom have stayed closed to richmond houston

any recommendation?

3 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by chibertha(f): 7:50am On Mar 17, 2017
@ ladee1 could you please see the attached

nefertitiram:

As your mind is already made up I don't understand what you want from us here. People with experience have chipped in.

Travelling at 36 weeks is a no no with multiple pregnancy. No doctor in this world should declare that fit to fly. God forbid if you were turned back at the POE which grammar will you speak? As your doc hubby was on board meaning what? He will be able to deliver you abi? It is as easy as that?

You did not sign the contract with Ben taub for the cheaper self pay rate before delivery hence you lost that window of opportunity.

Why are you arguing WIC and Medicaid with nairaland members? Save the argument for the Visa officer during renewal.

You simply did not plan well for this journey and it was God that took control if not it would not have been a funny situation.

Congrata once again.

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by MamaOO: 8:12am On Mar 17, 2017
ladee1:

Unfortunately at WIC office in Houston, we were told visitors are eligible
This is the eligibility page for WIC Texas and you clearly don't qualify as you're not resident in the US or Texas itself and do not make income in the US. You've clearly made up your mind about accepting both Medicaid and WIC like nefertitiram said above. You don't need our input. Good luck with your future visa renewals ma'am.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by bomly(f): 8:23am On Mar 17, 2017
chibertha:
Are you talking of Richmond avenue parallel to westhimer or Richmond
If it is the avenue the on sam Houston parkway South around 3030 there are a lot of them
Studio6 etc.
A Mama in here used soulcareconcierge check them out too.
Some others mentioned airbnb.

Anything near Oakbend that can give me 2 rooms apartment becos im traveling with Mum, 2kids and Hubby would

be visiting.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by mamacajah: 8:23am On Mar 17, 2017
@ladee1, first of all Congratulations on the safe arrival and delivery of your babies. May they always bring you joy in your home.

Now I am going to say some harsh truths, and I hope you accept them in love.

First of all, when old timers on this thread say read the previous parts, there is always a reason. I looked at all your posts and over 90% of them were all you requesting for help, indicating that you had not read enough or researched enough. If indeed you had, you would have known that all the discounts being discussed here are based on payments before delivery and not after delivery. You say moms here told you Ben taub was 5k, you also said you called the hospital and was told final bill will be discussed after delivery. Most of the information here are obtained by phone calls, correspondence but also negotiations which are not done over the phone but physically. Some moms here had to travel down quite early and comb the streets looking for a suitable deal package before settling on a hospital. Secondly you traveled with multiple pregnancy at 36 weeks, despite several posts all over the thread advising mums to travel latest 34 weeks (for single pregnancy) or 28 weeks (multiple pregnancies) to avoid complications . Yes you were fit all through your pregnancy, but delivering a day after arrival shows the babies were stressed and the hospital views you as an emergency delivery and not a planned delivery. If you had traveled earlier, negotiated payment terms, paid and then gone to the hospital to deliver, you would get the discounted fee.

However, there is always a way out, let your husband go to the Financial Dept, speak to the head of the team and negotiate the price down, tell them you are self pay and not using medicaid or WIC. Insist on a reduction and if the final fee is above your budget for now, then enter into a payment plan agreement that spreads the payments over time. Ensure you keep to the terms and try to pay it off, so that it won't affect your future visa renewal applications.

Wishing you all the best.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by Kween2014: 8:27am On Mar 17, 2017
Good morning everyone, i honestly think you lot are being too hard on her. Remember, she just had twins via C-section and was given a ridiculous bill. There is something called post-partum depression which she may be struggling with and she may not be thinking clearly for now. We know she made mistakes and is still probably making more now but some words of encouragement and correcting her in love will do her more harm than good in this difficult situation.

My 2 cents.

nefertitiram:

Congrata once again.

12 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by nefertitiram: 8:42am On Mar 17, 2017
Kween2014:
Good morning everyone, i honestly think you lot are being too hard on her. Remember, she just had twins via C-section and was given a ridiculous bill. There is something called post-partum depression which she may be struggling with and she may not be thinking clearly for now. We know she made mistakes and is still probably making more now but some words of encouragement and correcting her in love will do her more harm than good in this difficult situation.

My 2 cents

You are correct. But apparently she has her mind made up and is seeking validation and not advice from the thread.

Nothing is impossible though. She can go with her mind, it can work for her.

I even suggest she rests and forgets about all these for now till she's recovered from the birth. Then strategize and plan better. Pele @ladee1

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by MissBimbee: 8:51am On Mar 17, 2017
Good Morning my people...Please has anyone used any other Doctor apart from Dr Tate for delivery in Emory Midtown, Atlanta. I was settled on him but it seems his schedule is quite packed lately and the earliest appointment his clinic has given me is 2 weeks to my due date. I'd appreciate pointers to other good Ob/Gyn affiliated to Emory Midtown that are within affordable rates as Dr Tate, cos it is not ideal to just sit here and wait without regular weekly ante-natal appointments at such a close time to delivery, should there be any emergencies before my first appointment date.

For prospective mums who plan on using Dr Tate in the coming months, please do well to book your first appointment date well ahead of your arrival in Atlanta. You can do this without advancing payment. It would save you a lot of last minute stress. I just assumed I could have a walk-in appointment as soon as I arrived town or schedule one at short notice but it seems it doesn't work like that.

Please help a sister out if you have useful info on other Doctors in the area.

Gracias

3 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by ladee1: 8:58am On Mar 17, 2017
MamaOO:

This is the eligibility page for WIC Texas and you clearly don't qualify as you're not resident in the US or Texas itself and do not make income in the US. You've clearly made up your mind about accepting both Medicaid and WIC like nefertitiram said above. You don't need our input. Good luck with your future visa renewals ma'am.

If I have my mind made up I won't be here asking questions, we are seeking clarification where there are grey areas, it's confusing cos the WIC office in texas requested for details of the family member am staying with and how much she earns etc. I remember how change of intent letter was the only saving grace for the Nigerian I boarded flight with, matters like this should be discussed so others can learn and do what is right #notmakingconclusionorcastingblames# Thanks
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by ladee1: 9:05am On Mar 17, 2017
mamacajah:
@ladee1, first of all Congratulations on the safe arrival and delivery of your babies. May they always bring you joy in your home.

Now I am going to say some harsh truths, and I hope you accept them in love.

First of all, when old timers on this thread say read the previous parts, there is always a reason. I looked at all your posts and over 90% of them were all you requesting for help, indicating that you had not read enough or researched enough. If indeed you had, you would have known that all the discounts being discussed here are based on payments before delivery and not after delivery. You say moms here told you Ben taub was 5k, you also said you called the hospital and was told final bill will be discussed after delivery. Most of the information here are obtained by phone calls, correspondence but also negotiations which are not done over the phone but physically. Some moms here had to travel down quite early and comb the streets looking for a suitable deal package before settling on a hospital. Secondly you traveled with multiple pregnancy at 36 weeks, despite several posts all over the thread advising mums to travel latest 34 weeks (for single pregnancy) or 28 weeks (multiple pregnancies) to avoid complications . Yes you were fit all through your pregnancy, but delivering a day after arrival shows the babies were stressed and the hospital views you as an emergency delivery and not a planned delivery. If you had traveled earlier, negotiated payment terms, paid and then gone to the hospital to deliver, you would get the discounted fee.

However, there is always a way out, let your husband go to the Financial Dept, speak to the head of the team and negotiate the price down, tell them you are self pay and not using medicaid or WIC. Insist on a reduction and if the final fee is above your budget for now, then enter into a payment plan agreement that spreads the payments over time. Ensure you keep to the terms and try to pay it off, so that it won't affect your future visa renewal applications.

Wishing you all the best.

Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by boldbabe: 9:39am On Mar 17, 2017
Good day mamas, please i am asking on behalf of my friend. Please i need the email address of the financial counselor for Houston North West hospital. Have called Dr Nicholas's office and got their quote but i have been calling the hospital since this week and when they transfer the call to the financial department, it tells me the email address to send a mail too. But i cant seem to get the correct spelling of the email address and i dont want to make mistakes, hence my plea. Thanks mamas.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by anonymousmum: 10:00am On Mar 17, 2017
Kween2014:

My 2 cents.

Nope nobody is being hard on her. In fact folks have been mild self.

If we keep quiet in the spirit of being considerate we won't be calling a spade a spade.

And this is not related to post partum depression on any way.

Let us say things as they are. You can't stroll in at 36 weeks with twins expecting a discount.

So many things wrong with the turn of events but a we say "we give God the glory"

Someone somewhere will read the story and try that course of action with potentially disastrous consequences

22 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (172) (173) (174) (175) (176) (177) (178) ... (416)

General German Visa Enquiries Part 2 / Travelling To Canada Part 10 / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 4

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.