Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,847 members, 7,810,261 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:24 AM

Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) (14116 Views)

Poll: Nigerian journalists are:

Terrible: 69% (46 votes)
Trying: 30% (20 votes)
This poll has ended

Opinion: Re: Ihejirika-gate And Journalism In Nigeria / First University In Nigeria, Name And When Established? / Olojede Wins $100k Mcnulty Prize. Prize Elevates Journalism In Nigeria -wsj (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by Sagamite(m): 12:34pm On Apr 03, 2011

PUNCH

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201104033145531

[size=14pt]Banke Balogun retraces steps[/size]
Kemi Lawal

Publicity-shy Banke Balogun is the wife of the Managing Director and Chief Executive of FCMB, Ladi Balogun. The latter is the son of Otunba Subomi Balogun who doubles as a successful entrepreneur and philanthropist. His mother Olori Adetutu Balogun is one of society’s leading matriarchs.

The duo of Banke and Ladi exchanged marital vows at a stately ceremony many years ago that recorded the presence of who is who in the society.

The ceremony dominated discourse for a long time owing to its opulence.

Embracing motherhood shortly after she got married, Banke maintained a respectable distance from the social scene. Content with being a wife and mother, she devoted her time to caring for her family except on rare occasions when she attended functions in company with her husband.

She took a bold step last year when she began to appear at functions on a regular basis and without her husband in tow.

Just when many people were applauding her decision and getting familiar with her appearances, she withdrew from the social scene yet again. Her sudden disappearance has caused eyebrows to be raised and not a few are asking if anything is amiss.

And this is news?

What kind of retards do we have in our Nigerian media for God sake?

This Kemi Lawal is a cretin!!!

If I owned a newspaper, I will send a message to HR immediately that any Kemi Lawal from Punch should be blacklisted and never hired. What a dunce!
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by Nobody: 1:09pm On Apr 03, 2011
;d
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by AjanleKoko: 7:57pm On Apr 03, 2011
E be like say Saga no dey read anything except papers published and staffed by Bristol grads grin
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by Sagamite(m): 8:12pm On Apr 03, 2011
AjanleKoko:

E be like say Saga no dey read anything except papers published and staffed by Bristol grads grin

Er-gbe! grin grin grin grin
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by Sagamite(m): 8:49am On Apr 04, 2011
Only in our reetarded country will a journalist lambasted like this repeatedly:

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?datex=01/15/Articl.aspx?datex=01/15/2011&theartic=Art201103201464771
http://punchng.com/AddComments.aspx?theartic=Art201103201464771

www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx">http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:ldLj1ycCeBYJ:www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx%3Ftheartic%3DArt2009030855676+Between+Sasha+and+Omowunmi+Akinnifesi&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&client=firefox-a&source=www.google.co.uk
http://www.punchng.com/ReportComment.aspx?com=71112&theartic=Art2009030855676

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201104033145531
http://punchng.com/ReportComment.aspx?com=291701&theartic=Art201104033145531

Is rewarded like this:

http://www.pointblanknews.com/os1441.html

Journalist of the Year (Society)

Nominees: Olumide Iyanda (Saturday Independent), Kunle Rasheed (Global Excellence), George Elijah Otumu (National LIFE), Kayode Alfred (This DAY), Austin Fair Nwulu (National Mirror) and Kemi Lawal (Punch)

http://medianiteout.com/2010.html

JOURNALIST OF THE YEAR (SOCIETY) NOMINEES

* Kemi Lawal (Punch)
    * Lanre Alfred (Thisday)
    * Taiwo Obatunsun (City People)
    * Hamsat Folorunsho (Global Excellence)
    * George Otumu (Scroll)

Won ti she'pe fun wa nilu yen! (They have cursed us in that country!).
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by sinistyle(m): 2:30pm On Apr 06, 2011
Wow! LMFAO. . .Criticise Nigerian journalists, et tu stalagmite? Who're you kidding here? You illiterate! As far as intelligence goes, you are bankrupt. You have no intellectual deposit to criticise anyone. . . This is plain funny and I dey laugh hard.
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by Sagamite(m): 2:41pm On Apr 06, 2011
sinistyle:

Wow! LMFAO. . .Criticise Nigerian journalists, et tu stalagmite? Who're you kidding here? You illiterate! As far as intelligence goes, you are bankrupt. You have no intellectual deposit to criticise anyone. . . This is plain funny and I dey laugh hard.

Who the fck is this reetard!
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by Orikinla(m): 3:14pm On Apr 06, 2011
Poster, thank you for addressing the shortcomings of Nigerian newspaper reporters. They have not been well trained and are too lazy to learn from the best models in modern journalism. My online news websites offer all the resources they need, but majority of them prefer to remain underdeveloped. The foreign news agencies provide better reports on Nigeria than the local daily newspapers.
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by sinistyle(m): 3:36pm On Apr 06, 2011
@ stalagmite:
I always thought you had a sieve for a brain, you've just quashed every doubt I had in mind.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=584507.msg7625079#msg7625079
Do you remember me now?

Who the fck is this reetard[b]![/b]

Just look at the rubbish you typed with your sausage-size fingers, you dysmorphic ape!
You can't make a grammatically faultless statement yet you go about insulting Nigerian journalists. You must be the daftness blueprint.
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by jaymdee(m): 5:34pm On Apr 06, 2011
Who is this loud-mouth arm chair critic? You give NL readers an indication that you are not entirely destructive, but from your posts, I have seen that you are bent on presenting the fourth estate as totally useless. Why don't you make a (never would be) appreciated effort by posting some ethical, upright and world class news reports by Nigerians?

I know UK lecturers that cite works of Nigerian journalists, and offer same as study materials to their students. I need not mention the list of international awards Nigerian journalists have won: a long list.

Also, your light speed at spilling abuses and cheap curses suggests a misinformed, untrained, PS playing, Nappy-wearing teenager. If only you would be civil enough to post a self written 500 300 100 word piece on any topic to prove your erudition. 

You have the floor young man, and you can also continue with the childish insults to ascertain your nappy-wearing status.  embarassed
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by Sagamite(m): 11:35pm On Apr 06, 2011
sinistyle:

@ stalagmite:
I always thought you had a sieve for a brain, you've just quashed every doubt I had in mind.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=584507.msg7625079#msg7625079
Do you remember me now?

Just look at the rubbish you typed with your sausage-size fingers, you dysmorphic ape!
You can't make a grammatically faultless statement yet you go about insulting Nigerian journalists. You must be the daftness blueprint.

You are proud to show me you are the reetard that struggles with English and said food cannot be pluralised?  grin

Cretin! grin

jaymdee:

Who is this loud-mouth arm chair critic? You give NL readers an indication that you are not entirely destructive, but from your posts, I have seen that you are bent on presenting the fourth estate as totally useless. Why don't you make a (never would be) appreciated effort by posting some ethical, upright and world class news reports by Nigerians?

I know UK lecturers that cite works of Nigerian journalists, and offer same as study materials to their students. I need not mention the list of international awards Nigerian journalists have won: a long list.

Also, your light speed at spilling abuses and cheap curses suggests a misinformed, untrained, PS playing, Nappy-wearing teenager. If only you would be civil enough to post a self written 500 300 100 word piece on any topic to prove your erudition. 

You have the floor young man, and you can also continue with the childish insults to ascertain your nappy-wearing status.  embarassed

You are reetarded!

Bloody foool! I should compile news reports before being able to criticise journalists?

Cretinous product of the a dilapidated educational system.
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by sinistyle(m): 8:17am On Apr 07, 2011
Sagamite:

You are proud to show me you are the reetard that struggles with English and said food cannot be pluralised?  grin

Cretin! grin

You are reetarded!

Bloody foool! I should compile news reports before being able to criticise journalists?

Cretinous product of the a dilapidated educational system
Shut up! You cretinous cockchafer. Of course, corrections are of no use to you. You'd rather exist in absolute ignorance - your natural habitat.

What exactly is the aim of all these? To show us that only Nigerian journalists make errors, right? Your tomfoolery must indeed be written in the stars.
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by Bawss1(m): 9:39am On Apr 07, 2011
sinistyle:

What exactly is the aim of all these? To show us that only Nigerian journalists make errors, right? Your tomfoolery must indeed be written in the stars.

Members of the fourth estate play a very important role in shaping public opinion, thats a role that has far reaching consequences. When they err the public should take note so as not be disadvantaged. Recall the saying that to be poorly informed is to be deformed?

Sagamite should be commended for starting this thread even though he needs to tone down his use of scurrilous words
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by Sagamite(m): 9:53am On Apr 07, 2011
sinistyle:

Shut up! You cretinous cockchafer. Of course, corrections are of no use to you. You'd rather exist in absolute ignorance - your natural habitat.

You are reetarded!

It is to show Nigerian journalists are products of a failed educational system like worthless cretins like you. grin
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by fstranger3(m): 9:54am On Apr 07, 2011
Bawss1:

Members of the fourth estate play a very important role in shaping public opinion, thats a role that has far reaching consequences. When they err the public should take note so as not be disadvantaged. Recall the saying that to be poorly informed is to be deformed?

Sagamite should be commended for starting this thread even though he needs to tone down his use of scurrilous words

Commended for what?

For pointing at his father's house with his left hand? or for wasting his time pursuing trivialities instead of getting a job?

No one is perfect? He himself makes a lot of mistakes. Why castigate others?

Mschewwwwwww
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by Sagamite(m): 11:02am On Apr 07, 2011
fstranger3:

Commended for what?

For pointing at his father's house with his left hand? or for wasting his time pursuing trivialities instead of getting a job?

No one is perfect? He himself makes a lot of mistakes. Why castigate others?

Mschewwwwwww

Stop dancing on youtube in women's underwear.

That is the biggest mistake. grin
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by Bawss1(m): 11:41am On Apr 07, 2011
C'mon you guys shouldn't derail this thread with your personal vendettas. Lets all stick to the theme of this thread. Anybody who doesn't like it should go elsewhere.
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by Bawss1(m): 12:25pm On Apr 07, 2011
Here is something I think should be classified under this thread. http://www.saharareporters.com/gallery/gejs-news-editorial-tools-reporters

Unfortunately (abi craftily) there are no names attached to this piece of photo news. All we see is

"Goodluck Jonathan's campaign managers today assembled some news editors
at the Sheraton Hotels, Abuja and doled out N200,000 each in N500 denominations; to go with the cash is a Samsung Galaxy Tab and a pack of lapels.
The largesse was doled out to the editors from room 804 of the hotel at about 2pm today 6th April 2011."

For this story to be credible more information (names or pictures of the givers and the receivers) than that provided above should have been provided, instead it comes across as cheap smear campaign.
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by Sagamite(m): 12:38pm On Apr 07, 2011
Bawss1:

Here is something I think should be classified under this thread. http://www.saharareporters.com/gallery/gejs-news-editorial-tools-reporters

Unfortunately (abi craftily) there are no names attached to this  piece of photo news. All we see is

"Goodluck Jonathan's campaign managers today assembled some news editors
at the Sheraton Hotels, Abuja and doled out N200,000 each in N500 denominations; to go with the cash is a Samsung Galaxy Tab and a pack of lapels.
The largesse was doled out to the editors from room 804 of the hotel at about 2pm today 6th April 2011."

For this story to be credible more information (names or pictures of the givers and the receivers)  than that provided above should have been provided, instead it comes across as cheap smear campaign.

They are kinda excusable.

1) They are not a professional newspaper company so they have very little social responsibility and can be taken less seriously.
2) They request layman contributions based on their "report yourself" philosophy, so most of the writers are not suppose to have gone through journalistic training.
3) They have not been in existence for long to challenge them of not being able to learn from experience or provide training to their journalists.
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by Bawss1(m): 12:47pm On Apr 07, 2011
Now I'm confused. Whether or not they are a professional newspaper doesn't mean they don't somehow shape public opinion.

Imagine something of this nature appeared in CNN's iReports, shouldn't the so called reporter bear the responsibility of the news item s/he reports?
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by Sagamite(m): 1:18pm On Apr 07, 2011
Bawss1:

Now I'm confused. Whether or not they are a professional newspaper doesn't mean they don't somehow shape public opinion.

Imagine something of this nature appeared in CNN's iReports, shouldn't the so called reporter bear the responsibility of the news item s/he reports?

No 1, CNN has a media machinery so can easily vet what goes on in a little irrelevant, public-indulging project like ireport. Saharareporter (I think) is a one-man band.

No 2, CNN have an international, esteemed reputation to keep, so to avoid reputational damage, they most likely will vet since it is very easy for any report from "CNN ireport" to be spread as a "CNN" report and most humans are mooorons so will not be able to differentiate.

No 3, Even if CNN does not vet ireport, they will have to put a strong, visible disclaimer.

No 4, you can sue CNN so they have to be really responsible. No one has been successful in suing or tried to sue saharareporters so far despite some of their libelous stories not having sufficient proof. CNN, BBC, Punch, Vanguard will never dare such.

Hence, you can't be comparing Saharareporters to CNN. They are not a professional outfit, with professional journalists and significant staffing or experience levels, so I can give them some slack in their journalistic products.
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by semid4lyfe(m): 2:09pm On Apr 07, 2011
Sagamite, I agree with you jare. . .Most Nigerian Journalists are so unprofessional and full of crap.

Do you remember the Punch story about the 5 ''Yoruba'' Americans (Lauren Halloran, Caraline Harshman, Kelvin Barry, Kelly Moses and O’Neil Keegan) who were studying Yoruba @ the University of Ibadan? I think eku bear posted a thread on them on Nairaland not too long ago. .

Three of them (Lauren Halloran, Caraline Harshman & Kevin Barry) have been actively blogging about their experiences studying & living in Nigeria and I've been following them (particularly Caraline) ON & OFF. . . . .

Twice, Caraline ''Titilayo'' Harshmann has criticised Nigerian Journalists for their news reporting. . . Read below

Journalism of no verification
October 4, 2010 by Cara Titilayo Harshman
http://northoflagos./page/9/

The Nigerian Tribune printed an article with the headline “Four Americans Here to Learn Yoruba Language” in the Saturday, October 2 edition of the paper. The article, by Sunday Saanu features a page-width picture of us, confusing information about our program and Yoruba language pedagogy in the U.S., and finally completely botched quotes from Kevin and I. You must understand that journalism in Nigeria does not have the same standards as journalism in the U.S. I am not trying to condemn Nigerian newspapers, but they do not adhere to credible methods of verification, which is so critical to journalism in the U.S. Direct quotes are not common, and if they do appear in an article, it’s not until the end. Such is the case with this article printed about us. Here is how they quoted me:

‘According to Cara who is now Titilayo, “I love Nigeria, I am really enjoying every minute, in fact, I can even get married here if I see an interested man because I am an open-minded person.”‘

I did not say this. Yes, I did use the words ‘open-minded person’, ‘enjoying Nigeria’, but not in any way that resembles “sentence”. I am not happy. I have received hoards of Facebook friend requests, messages and inquires from men about the possibility of me marrying them. Men are ruthless here. I think my professors here at the Yoruba Language Flagship Center are demanding a correction be printed.

A small saving grace: they printed my name “Cara Hashman.” Hopefully this glaring mistake will throw people off when they try to find me on the Internet.

The Punch Newspaper: Surprise as undergraduate Americans teach Nigerians Yoruba
by Cara Titilayo Harshman
http://northoflagos./

We made front page headlines again…I was standing with my classmates in the Faculty of Arts at UI this morning when one of my classmates told me, “Titi, mo ri oju e ni oju iwe kinni Punch loni. Titi, I saw you on the front page of Punch today.” I said “Enhh? Opuro ni e. You’re a liar.” He said he was serious, so I went to the Student Union Building to investigate. I approached the newspaper table where men (women are never there) congregate everyday to look at the headlines and gossip about news. I pushed my way to the front. Sure enough, there was my face on the bottom of the paper, under election headlines. I paid 150 Naira for the paper and after about five people nearby grabbed the paper from my hands and exclaimed that it was in fact me on the cover, was on my merry way.

The article is about the program we did at Vivian Fowler Memorial College for Girls a few weeks ago. It is well written for the most part but, like the other articles printed about us, there are serious misquotes. At least they captured the overall idea of what I wanted to say. I guess the exact words are too much to ask for.

Seriously, Nigerian Journalists need to up their game.
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by Sagamite(m): 2:22pm On Apr 07, 2011
semid4lyfe:

Sagamite, I agree with you jare. . .Most Nigerian Journalists are so unprofessional and full of crap.

Do you remember the Punch story about the 5 ''Yoruba'' Americans (Lauren Halloran, Caraline Harshman, Kelvin Barry, Kelly Moses and O’Neil Keegan) who were studying Yoruba @ the University of Ibadan? I think eku bear posted a thread on them on Nairaland not too long ago. .

Three of them (Lauren Halloran, Caraline Harshman & Kevin Barry)  have been actively blogging about their experiences studying & living in Nigeria and I've been following them (particularly Caraline) ON & OFF. . . . .

Twice, Caraline ''Titilayo'' Harshmann has criticised Nigerian Journalists for their news reporting. . . Read below

Seriously, Nigerian Journalists need to up their game.

Mate, only poorly educated, underdeveloped mind with simpleton thinking will not be able to see the problem we are talking about.
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by Sagamite(m): 2:35pm On Apr 07, 2011
Take a look at this report for god sake.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/jonathan-maintains-lead-pdp-may-lose-more-states/89182/

The reetards can not even make an attempt to make the attached table, at the bottom of the report, visible to the intended readers.

They just dumbed it there without any effort of resizing it. Who the hell can read that? Where the fck is standards?

Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by semid4lyfe(m): 2:50pm On Apr 07, 2011
Sagamite:

Take a look at this report for god sake.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/jonathan-maintains-lead-pdp-may-lose-more-states/89182/

The reetards can not even make an attempt to make the attached table, at the bottom of the report, visible to the intended readers.

They just dumbed it there without any effort of resizing it. Who the hell can read that? Where the fck is standards?

I dey do KOBOJUNKIE© for here grin

Bros, take am easy so gbo?

Nor burst a vein or give your self high blood pressure cos of Nigerian journalists tongue

A friend of mine who's a writer is just as critical as you are and he says he only buys Complete sports cos to quote him ''It's better written than all the other regular papers cos all they do is copy and paste news stories from sports sites like goal.com, espnsoccernet.com'', football365.com etc

Meanwhile, I know mate is British lingo for friend but I find it offensive so I'll appreciate it if you don't refer to me as mate again. wink
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by Sagamite(m): 4:46pm On Apr 07, 2011
semid4lyfe:

I dey do KOBOJUNKIE© for here grin

Bros, take am easy so gbo?

Nor burst a vein or give your self high blood pressure cos of Nigerian journalists tongue

A friend of mine who's a writer is just as critical as you are and he says he only buys Complete sports cos to quote him ''It's better written than all the other regular papers cos all they do is copy and paste news stories from sports sites like goal.com, espnsoccernet.com'', football365.com etc

Meanwhile, I know mate is British lingo for friend but I find it offensive so I'll appreciate it if you don't refer to me as mate again. wink

grin grin grin

See this yeye man wey old pass me. Broda mi, no vex. tongue grin
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by fstranger3(m): 9:06am On Apr 08, 2011
;d
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by Sagamite(m): 10:21am On May 24, 2011
Again, ThisDay Newspaper!

So some cretin expects their audience to read this?

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/pdp-state-nominees-for-federal-appointments/91951/

No attempt to even do their best to make it readable. Share incompetence and laziness!

And these cretins will be the ones claiming racism if they ever come to the West and can't get a job as a journalists after "so-so" years of so-called experience.

The Oga cretin responsible for websites at ThisDay is FRED OJEH! This foool would have been fired if anyone with a decent brain was running the paper.
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by Kilode1: 8:44pm On Jun 05, 2011
After reading the recently passed FOI bill, I had to dig up this thread.

The bill will be a useless document if our journalists don't step up their game. For now there's a lot to be afraid of.

Although I Must say I'm glad we have a few good journalists and investigative reporters especially at Olojede's 234next, we definitely need more, else these politicians and public servants will continue to eat our lunch while pissing in our mouths.

Our people need to be better informed. Smart, dedicated, fair and professional journalism is key.
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by 13volts(m): 10:23pm On Jun 05, 2011
@poster am In agreement with you 100% 9jah newspaper sucks.
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by sbeezy8: 1:46am On Jun 06, 2011
nigerian news paper reports built on PURE speculation n imagination combined.

its amazing really
Re: Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) by mbulela: 8:10am On Jun 06, 2011
Kilode?!:

After reading the recently passed FOI bill, I had to dig up this thread.

The bill will be a useless document if our journalists don't step up their game. For now there's a lot to be afraid of.

Although I Must say I'm glad we have a few good journalists and investigative reporters especially at Olojede's 234next, we definitely need more, else these politicians and public servants will continue to eat our lunch while pissing in our mouths.

Our people need to be better informed. Smart, dedicated, fair and professional journalism is key.
unfortunately, NEXT will soon be extinct.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Northerners Are Not Controlling Nigeria's Oil Blocks / Kenyan President Orders Deportation Of Nigerians Involved In Drug Trafficking / Ize-iyamu Tells Tribunal To Declare Him Winner Of Edo Governorship Election

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.