Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,896 members, 7,814,027 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:47 AM

Senate Rejects Buhari’s Request To Borrow $30bn - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Rejects Buhari’s Request To Borrow $30bn (29872 Views)

Ezekwesili Reacts To Buhari's Request To World Bank To Focus On Northern Nigeria / FFK Reacts To Buhari's Request To World Bank To Focus On Northern Nigeria / Presidency Reacts To Senate’s Rejection Of Buhari’s Plan To Borrow $30bn (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senate Rejects Buhari’s Request To Borrow $30bn by KunkeAkinola(m): 4:01pm On Nov 01, 2016
DONSMITH123:

With due respect my brother, since the inception of this government. We have heard enough on the diversification of economy. Tell me what they've achieved on it.

They need to wake up before it'll be too late.

So u really don't know that the economy is gradually diversifying. Oh, u think sey suddenly we go just wake up and see a diversified economy? Niqq, wake up
Re: Senate Rejects Buhari’s Request To Borrow $30bn by KunkeAkinola(m): 4:02pm On Nov 01, 2016
Keneking:
But where is lalasticlala sef...

- Sell NLNG and others, you no sell.
- Use recovered loot, you no use.

Abeg, Buhari resign make Aisha take over, she would do better than this grin

Useless government.. grin

The next steps is to use EFCC to scatter the national assembly grin

It's obvious u don't know what u are saying in addition to the fact that u are a joker
Re: Senate Rejects Buhari’s Request To Borrow $30bn by repogirl(f): 4:03pm On Nov 01, 2016
ilynem:

How do you know there will nothing to show for it? What do you do when there is deficiency of demand (which is causing the recession)? You pump in money into the economy and it's always better to pump it into capital projects which is what the loan is for. As long as the loan is used properly, we are in good stead. The US is owing trillions of dollars and they have the most powerful economy in the world. You and I will suffer the brunt of the senate's decision not Buhari.
I totally agree with you o, I agree a hundred percent but the problem here is I don't trust Buharis govt to carry out this plan effectively. You compare us to the US but our country is very different from the US. US has brains and strategists planning their economy while Buhari has nepotists and cabals destroying ours.

Imagine appointing someone like Udo udoma in charge of our budget and the man doesn't even know what Nigeria owes at present.....how did he then plan the budget without factoring in that analysis.

I just dont trust Buharis people, even his finance minister hasn't come out with any concrete plans or a roadmap to revitalising the economy. These are the things the IMF is asking for before they can think of approving the loans.

Even if they manage to come up with a workable blue print, I doubt Buhari and his people will be able to implement it successfully because so far, the only thing Buhari has done is to push us into recession less than two years in office.

4 Likes

Re: Senate Rejects Buhari’s Request To Borrow $30bn by KunkeAkinola(m): 4:07pm On Nov 01, 2016
falxx:
So without rail, we cannot do anything to comot this recession abi? So we do not provided 24 power supply nothing can be to done to this hardest recession abi? There was so much food everywhere by the last government, was this due to abundance of power and rail abi? As at today, I am the happiest for the downturn of this Buhari's loan. This is shows his incompetence. If Buhari was a competent leader and with well structured and quilified minister, they would have identified other important areas and not to requesting for loan they cannot manage. Who is even quilified to manage the loan if given? Is it those very low and elementary minister of finance or what? Where is even the blue print to be followed? The fact is that Buhari is damn too dumb and incompetent to rule this country

Yh. U must have said something similar in GEJ's regime
Re: Senate Rejects Buhari’s Request To Borrow $30bn by repogirl(f): 4:18pm On Nov 01, 2016
tohchee96:
I only have one question ..and I all honesty its because I don't know ...

what I'm asking is ...

what happened to ..the recovered loot ?
I just want to know please ....
lmao! I remember when Boooohari was still campaigning and was asked during an interview that where will he get money to finance all his big ideas.... he replied that once they block all the leakages that there will be more than enough.

Me, I am now wondering whether they are not blocking leakages anymore. Why are they now going to borrow?

4 Likes

Re: Senate Rejects Buhari’s Request To Borrow $30bn by ilynem(m): 4:26pm On Nov 01, 2016
Largas:

Sharap. Repogirl don't mind her. Stop comparing US with Nigeria. The are an exporting nation while Nigeria is a consumer nation. How do we repay the debt when Oil is hitting bedrock and we import everything even toothpicks and EVEN OIL(refined)?

So don't compare us with them. China, Japan, US can handle huge debt because of their booming economy. We can't. Stop selling our unborn generatipon to slavery OGA.

Buhari should resign.
This is why I don't argue with Buhari haters. I just gave my opinion and the next thing u say is "sharap". Calm down, forget hate and reason. How did U.S and China become exporting countries? Infrastructure. That is what the fund is for. How can we start exporting without proper funding in the right sectors?? The idea is a good one, the only problem is implementation, that's why this government needs to be more transparent.

1 Like

Re: Senate Rejects Buhari’s Request To Borrow $30bn by Chigold101(m): 4:30pm On Nov 01, 2016
udumosam23:
What?
is this your conclusion?

Oh noooo!
Re: Senate Rejects Buhari’s Request To Borrow $30bn by ilynem(m): 4:38pm On Nov 01, 2016
eduj:

we can mostly spend our way out of a recession if that capital would find its way into our economy. most of those projects would be carried out by expatriates (engineers and technicians) so, over 70% of that fund would find its way outside Nigeria. most of those projects are long term and would have no immediate impact on our economy. if Mr presido truly wants to help Nigerians, he should expediently reduce the salary and allowance of the executive while increasing minimum wage to around 45000 after all, their dithering in setting up an economic blueprint and their arbitrary increase in tax helped put us in this quagmire.
You are mostly correct. But you are getting something wrong. They are long term projects, yes. But they still have short term effects. For instance, these foreigners employ Nigerians in their companies and so this increases income which in turn stimulates demand. But you are right! Some of the funds will go out of the country. But us there any other way
Re: Senate Rejects Buhari’s Request To Borrow $30bn by Nobody: 4:42pm On Nov 01, 2016
I think therefore Our Democracy z advancing, Not as if I am in support or against Senate deliberation /ruling but because our legislators can act independently without influence from the executive, I wish there will be absolute separation of power in the nearest future b/w d various arms of govt, this z d beauty of democracy, (God help us to live peacefully as a country or break up peacefully as a failed state) whichever is Your Will.
Re: Senate Rejects Buhari’s Request To Borrow $30bn by frank202012: 4:52pm On Nov 01, 2016
Largas:

How can you borrow a heavy Loan for infrastructural development, how will that revamp our dead economy or alleviate suffering in the Land?

Buhari should focus on diversification of the economy and exodusing us out of this misery instead of taking Loans to construct railtracks from Daura to LA.

Kikikikikikikikiki

1 Like

Re: Senate Rejects Buhari’s Request To Borrow $30bn by Collins0609(m): 4:59pm On Nov 01, 2016
Buhari frustrate Saraki with executiv power,Saraki frustrate Buhari with Legislative power,
Game on

1 Like

Re: Senate Rejects Buhari’s Request To Borrow $30bn by chidozieikeji2: 5:02pm On Nov 01, 2016
seunmsg:
They did not even debate it before throwing it out. Not a good development. Throwing the entire proposal away is not the best. We need some of the projects that were proposed in the loan proposal. They should have debated the proposal and approve some even if they won't approve all.
approve what? The ones he borrowed what have he done with it dis man is as confused as chameleon

2 Likes

Re: Senate Rejects Buhari’s Request To Borrow $30bn by DamiBukola: 5:12pm On Nov 01, 2016
mashin:
We shall all experience the pains of the rejection, as lack of funds to execute the budget continues, so long the senate has no money to siphon courtesy of Buhari's anti corruption stance, the senate will continue to frustrate the executive at the detriment of the poor who are now hailing the senate, more sufferings on the way.
I tut your useless government said they have met 70% of the 2016 budget? Imagine what your careless support has done to Nigeria, you accept anything from the government because of tribalism

2 Likes

Re: Senate Rejects Buhari’s Request To Borrow $30bn by jadyclem(m): 5:14pm On Nov 01, 2016
I read some comments saying that, ' you can't diversify an economy in 17 months' . really? diversification starts with d polices of d government. what is this administration's economic policies? how does their policies encourages d local industries and other sectors of d economy? come to think of it, how can a sane President ever think of borrowing an amount of money that is more than his country's reserve with no defined payment plan? thank God the senate turned it down! that man wan sell 9ja, I pray God comes to our aide!

4 Likes

Re: Senate Rejects Buhari’s Request To Borrow $30bn by ilynem(m): 5:15pm On Nov 01, 2016
repogirl:
I totally agree with you o, I agree a hundred percent but the problem here is I don't trust Buharis govt to carry out this plan effectively. You compare us to the US but our country is very different from the US. US has brains and strategists planning their economy while Buhari has nepotists and cabals destroying ours.

Imagine appointing someone like Udo udoma in charge of our budget and the man doesn't even know what Nigeria owes at present.....how did he then plan the budget without factoring in that analysis.

I just dont trust Buharis people, even his finance minister hasn't come out with any concrete plans or a roadmap to revitalising the economy. These are the things the IMF is asking for before they can think of approving the loans.

Even if they manage to come up with a workable blue print, I doubt Buhari and his people will be able to implement it successfully because so far, the only thing Buhari has done is to push us into recession less than two years in office.
Don't you ever insult the finance minister. I love that woman, if not for anything but cuz she's cute and speaks well. Lol. Seriously though, you are right. The problem is implementation and I don't think the president has the right people around him. But instead of throwing out the whole plan, the senate should ask for more transparency in the implementation. Because whether you like it or not, we need that loan.

1 Like

Re: Senate Rejects Buhari’s Request To Borrow $30bn by Bolaadu(m): 5:21pm On Nov 01, 2016
krendo:
Now that's victory for democracy!

That's how separation of power should work

There should be checks and balances

What Nigeria needs is not more borrowing, what we need is a cut in the cost of government!
this 1 is selfish check and balance,dey don want this man to archive anything.have change my prayer point before I pray 4Nigeria but now I pray for my self and my family no matter how Nigeria worst I shall succeed.
Re: Senate Rejects Buhari’s Request To Borrow $30bn by cyberguy72(m): 5:23pm On Nov 01, 2016
DONSMITH123:

i think they are up to sumthing. the true picture will soon come out
sumtin like what.
Re: Senate Rejects Buhari’s Request To Borrow $30bn by Nobody: 5:26pm On Nov 01, 2016
ilynem:

This is why I don't argue with Buhari haters. I just gave my opinion and the next thing u say is "sharap". Calm down, forget hate and reason. How did U.S and China become exporting countries? Infrastructure. That is what the fund is for. How can we start exporting without proper funding in the right sectors?? The idea is a good one, the only problem is implementation, that's why this government needs to be more transparent.

If the Loan was being used to revamp our dead Oil Refineries so as to kill our Importation of Oil which is Nigeria's highest FOREX consumer then we'd see a gain of the Naira against the Dollar.

We spend Trillions importing refined Oil, everything, toothpics, even GRASSES, but you can revamp the refineries and kill the importation of Oil. This will also lead to fall of Fuel Price, taking it as low as N60/L. And life will start getting normal.

Of all the things the Loan will be used for, only the Mambilla Power Plant is that crucial, all these railtracks are stuffs you build when the Economy is stable, not in a time of recession and hardship.

Who go use the trains when en never see rice chop as it costs 25k a bag??

Abegi.

2 Likes

Re: Senate Rejects Buhari’s Request To Borrow $30bn by drss2(m): 5:33pm On Nov 01, 2016
repogirl:
lmao! It's ironic that a zombie is talking about being dumb and brainless. It seems you are more annoyed about weaves and makeup than the points I made, hence you attack them like a raving lunatic.

I don't need to do any useless research. You should do your research.

Isn't it in the records that Nigeria displaced SA to be the fastest growing economy in Africa? Since you have no idea what bustling means, consult your dictionary and leave Brazilian hair and makeup out of this. The IMF president Lagarde even visited Buhari to warn him about our receding economy but he was making mouth that we will look inwards and solve our problem. Has he finished looking inwards now? Now that we are deep into recession, he has run to the same IMF begging for loans without even a comprehensive, viable blue print on what to use the loan for or how to get us out of this situation and you are saying what? Is that the person that should be trusted with 30 billion dollars? We should trust him blindly? Even if zombies like you will trust him like that , I'm sorry dear but the IMF still have there senses intact.

I am a Nigerian who has experienced live the Obasanjo, Yaradua, GEJ govts and now Buharis own and If you have lost your senses or you are in denial, know this ...Recession did not begin until Buhari took over. Buhari has failed even before he began. If you still have a problem with what I say, read my signature and cure yourself of your zombiesm.
chai! cheesy d way u wip dat boy him go cry for one week. grin zombeism na serious disease.

3 Likes

Re: Senate Rejects Buhari’s Request To Borrow $30bn by charlesedu777: 5:34pm On Nov 01, 2016
part 2 Please
Re: Senate Rejects Buhari’s Request To Borrow $30bn by Rilwayne001: 5:49pm On Nov 01, 2016
seunmsg:

Maybe you have a different definition of diversification but according to my own understanding, it entails moving away from solely relying on a particular sector (oil) for generating revenue, majorly forex for the country. Concessioning oil fields that are operated by private oil firms will not lead to diversification. Again, government cannot concession all the federal roads in the country. You and I will never accept a situation where we have to pay toll fee for every federal road that we drive on. Lagos state's experience from concessioning the Lekki/Ajah road is public knowledge.

Diversification involves opening up other sectors of the economy and making them very productive revenue earners. Sectors such as agriculture, manufacturing and mining are areas that we can look towards. Without good power supply, a working rail transport system and great road network, can we achieve anything in these sectors? That is why the projects that were proposed in the loan document are key to diversification. Without these critical infrastructure in place, diversification can never happen.

This is quite insightful.

1 Like

Re: Senate Rejects Buhari’s Request To Borrow $30bn by jrusky(m): 5:55pm On Nov 01, 2016
But why do they not passed it nah I think the borrowing is for our good as APC sickening heads always put it.

Please Senate or Rep house why did you disallowed this borrowing why and why Please the bill should go second attempt please and I beg Buhari to increase the figure to like 100 trillion Dollars that would have be so nice.

That is the Change CHAIN they voted for, "Chain of Debt" that is what Tinubu, Okorocha, Amaechi and Ngige sold for us.

1 Like

Re: Senate Rejects Buhari’s Request To Borrow $30bn by CioAngels(f): 6:08pm On Nov 01, 2016
In asmuch as i would ask why the borrowing? I would also say, sorry to buhari, as the Aso rock Cabals, Saraki and his Group will use this to hold Buhari to ransom to do their bidding of dropping all charges against them before the loan will be approved just has being done in the case of Efcc, Magu. These people wants to sell and buy Nigeria just as pa obasanjo sold Nigerian airways and its assets to himself. May they all be asked, judged, disgraced and punished.

1 Like

Re: Senate Rejects Buhari’s Request To Borrow $30bn by Nobody: 6:13pm On Nov 01, 2016
kITATITA:

Call a spade a spade. The Senators are attacking PMB because of his anti-corruption campaign. They didn't even pretend to debate the request, they refuse to cut their own criminal salaries and allowances, they refuse the government request to sell national assets; how do they want the economy to run. Same Senators haven't taken a strong stand against militancy and niger delta nor Boko Haram. Nothing. And for those saying diversify the economy overnight; I hope they know what they are saying. It takes several years and a lot of money to diversify the economy. Forget about sentiments, those Senators have just dealt serious blow to the destiny of the Nigerian people.

Well let pmb attack them back by doing the right thing!

Naija has no business borrowing in the midst of all the waste in government

Let Buhari swallow the humble pie and do the right thing

1 Like

Re: Senate Rejects Buhari’s Request To Borrow $30bn by udumosam23(m): 6:20pm On Nov 01, 2016
Chigold101:
is this your conclusion?

Oh noooo!

Aren't you surprised too? I was anticipating a reduction of sort, not outright rejection.
Re: Senate Rejects Buhari’s Request To Borrow $30bn by clefstone(m): 6:33pm On Nov 01, 2016
Ephemmm:

Ignorance at its peak! Buhari and GEJ no go suffer anything: you mean there won't be constant power supply in their respective homes, or lack of food to eat or lack of cars to ride or lack of good placement for their children after graduation?

Continue deceiving yourself over there: educated illiterate.
e pain am grin

1 Like

Re: Senate Rejects Buhari’s Request To Borrow $30bn by clefstone(m): 6:33pm On Nov 01, 2016
Inspectahdeck:
Wow see reasoning

Please remember we will all suffer the consequences.

I don't care

1 Like

Re: Senate Rejects Buhari’s Request To Borrow $30bn by frubben(m): 6:54pm On Nov 01, 2016
seunmsg:

You cannot diversify the economy under 17 months in a period of very low oil earnings. Diversification can only happen over a long period of time and provision of key infrastructures is key to diversification.

But he can travel around the world in 17 month. Guy use brain now.

1 Like

Re: Senate Rejects Buhari’s Request To Borrow $30bn by ilynem(m): 6:55pm On Nov 01, 2016
Largas:

If the Loan was being used to revamp our dead Oil Refineries so as to kill our Importation of Oil which is Nigeria's highest FOREX consumer then we'd see a gain of the Naira against the Dollar.

We spend Trillions importing refined Oil, everything, toothpics, even GRASSES, but you can revamp the refineries and kill the importation of Oil. This will also lead to fall of Fuel Price, taking it as low as N60/L. And life will start getting normal.

Of all the things the Loan will be used for, only the Mambilla Power Plant is that crucial, all these railtracks are stuffs you build when the Economy is stable, not in a time of recession and hardship.

Who go use the trains when en never see rice chop as it costs 25k a bag??

Abegi.
Good point. We are all here to learn and I can understand where you are coming from. But rail tracks is something we actually need to aid transportation which is important for production. But let's forget that. Government spending actually stimulates the economy which is what we need now. You want to end the recession? We need to spend. But spend in the right sectors that will actually aid production. This is where I agree with you. Rail tracks will help, but that is not the priority now. Now talking about oil, we are actually looking for how to move away from oil to other sectors. Fixing refineries will help, but we have been talking about that for years now and nothing has been done! We need to improve on agriculture and manufacturing. That will earn us more foreign exchange and we need infrastructure in these sectors.
Re: Senate Rejects Buhari’s Request To Borrow $30bn by Splashme: 7:08pm On Nov 01, 2016
truefact:
Very good.

APC is evil, but baboon is surrounded by demons

1 Like

Re: Senate Rejects Buhari’s Request To Borrow $30bn by Nobody: 7:11pm On Nov 01, 2016
ilynem:

Good point. We are all here to learn and I can understand where you are coming from. But rail tracks is something we actually need to aid transportation which is important for production. But let's forget that. Government spending actually stimulates the economy which is what we need now. You want to end the recession? We need to spend. But spend in the right sectors that will actually aid production. This is where I agree with you. Rail tracks will help, but that is not the priority now. Now talking about oil, we are actually looking for how to move away from oil to other sectors. Fixing refineries will help, but we have been talking about that for years now and nothing has been done! We need to improve on agriculture and manufacturing. That will earn us more foreign exchange and we need infrastructure in these sectors.
The main reason why Refineries haven't worked after OBJ and GEJ invested too much in the sector is because of corruption.

Diezanni Madueke never loot finish na to supervise revamping of Refineries?
If Buhari is truly incorruptible and the real Minister for Petroleum he should overhaul our Refineries and get them working. You'll create jobs, export refined oil meaning MORE FOREX. Fuel price reduces to #60 and so many other goodies attached.

You have another point about Agriculture and Manufacturing, but Innoson that COUPLES/Manufactures vehicles locally in Nigeria, what support has he gotten from the FG?

Many civilized nations would have given him more favourable Auto-Policies, Loans, Incentives and in few months, Nigeria will become Vehicle exporting Country. Small African Nations like CHAD, Niger, etc will be our Consumer countries.

But Bubu has poor economic team, or he doesn't listen to the available ones.

1 Like

Re: Senate Rejects Buhari’s Request To Borrow $30bn by ehissi(m): 7:27pm On Nov 01, 2016
ilynem:

Yeeeeeeeeeh!!

Where did you get the idea that the money is for infrastructure??

And why is the loan request higher than the National budget?? Or does it make sense for the President to be seeking expenses/expenditure outside budgetary provisions??

Isn't it proper for an appropriation to be sought first before seeking this loan; assuming it is true that the funds will be used for infrastructure - according to you Oooh

According to an official statement made by the current administration recently which I spotted here on Nairaland, the budget implementation is at 79%.

79% of 6.07trillion leaves a balance of #1.274trillion. So from your statement, we can imply that the government wants to increase the 2016 budget by over #7.785trillion using the instrument of debt.

For a country that is going through a recession does this not count as a waste

At we speak, rumour has it that the 2017 budget - in draft form - is even higher than the 2016 budget by over #1.1trillion. If we have to borrow to fund 2016 budget, what will we do when we seek to fund 2017 budget??

Borrow another $29.9billion to fund 2017 budget??

This was how aregbesola was doing when he started with Osun state, now he can't afford to pay salaries. Even his bail out plan needs a bail out plan.

Let's not deceive ourselves here, this government has no idea what it is doing because it doesn't have experienced hands in the proper place.

As I speak with you, even as we are right now, salaries for federal workers are not regular all-round.

My in-laws both in Federal Medical Centre abuja and bida who are medical personnel have been told, "when you see salary at the end of the month thank God, when you don't see salary thank God.". And we haven't borrowed $29.9billion yet.

If they now borrow nko, how will dey now pay back.

The US you are quoting, have you seen the debt profile of US??

It was the stubborness of US congress to refuse to raise the debt borrowing limit that put Obama in a meeting at white house on duty through out 31st night into the new year a few years ago.

The debt profile of US as at 2011 was over $18trillion and congress raised the debt borrowing ceiling to $24trillion at a time; I know by now, they would have exhausted that limit by now.

As at 2001 the debt obligation the US had at the UN alone was $2trillion.

We can't afford to be like them please Oooh!!

Even if we have all the infrastructure of malaysia, singapore, us and china, it will not be sufficient an investment to generate income to pay off such debt that Buhari is looking to borrow.

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Crowd Bursts Into Laughter As Wike Speaks In 'Tongues', Fires Atiku / Tunde Bakare: How Tinubu Used Lagos Wealth To Stop SW PDP Is Remarkable / #bringbackourgirls Crew Meet President Buhari Today (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.