Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,297 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:26 AM

The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us (45602 Views)

Nigerian Student In UK Drowns In Canada While On School Trip (Photos) / Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) / Nigerian Student's In Philipines, How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by highpappy: 3:42am On Nov 02, 2009
johnkent:

U actually answered the question urself. U can't get a scholarship if you cant go abck to school. Being out of status means u can't be able to enroll and get a new I-20 so getting a scholarship wont do u any good.
If u are on B2 visa, u absolultey wont be able to get into any US school. U will need an f-1 visa and since u've already violated the terms of your B2 visa, u wont be able to change your status to f-1. sorry.
let me know what happens buddy

Actually i didnt enter US through any of F-1 or B2 as u stated, i came in with A-3 visa which is a diplomat related visa. Although am currently living wit a relative who is responsible for fees and all that but he will soon move back to Nigeria and that is best descibe as out of status and droping out of school. So i just want to know if there can be any scholarship opportunity that can keep me in school atleat or schorlarship is for only intl. student with F-1? any idea??
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by Nobody: 3:47am On Nov 02, 2009
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by manny4life(m): 5:42am On Nov 02, 2009
If u don't have money, why you come in the first place. People think U.S. is a free ride, people who have experienced, welcome. I'm sorry people have to go through what they did, but when u tell some people, they don't listen. Again scholarship isn't that easy only a little % if any is reserved for international students. Can you imagine where hundreds of thousands of students banking hope on one scholarship?
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by rygem: 6:33am On Nov 02, 2009
1. Solid Transcript with good GPA
2. Solid GRE or SAT (SAT for undergrads, GRE for grads) scores
3. Solid TOEFL Scores
4. Good personal statement
5. Solid Letters of reference
These could get you a scholarship (for undergrads) or funding/Assistantship for graduate study.

If you didn't get scholarship or assistantship immediately:

1. Make plan for first year before coming, tuition fees, expenses, etc
2. Be on the spot in your first semester on GPA (You have at least gained a foot hold for anyone to listen to you)
3. Research all the Professors in your department (including associated/collaborative) department while in your first semester and find out what they are doing and which of them have funding.
4. Once you identify the ones that have funding, approach then after your first semester, most of then would like to know your academic strength, interest and any prior research experience (First semester GPA would help)
5. Offer to get hands-on experience in their lab even if it is volunteering, show commitment and try to get some result.
6. After, some sacrifice in the lab, talk to the professor about helping you with funding and show that you want to be in it for the long haul (Professor don't want students that would just disappear as soon as they get some little change). Already, if you demonstrate understanding and commitment, the professor would already be putting you in his agenda for funding without your knowledge.
7. If the professor says he doesn't have space, try another one

That's how you transit toward a PhD (if you want) without spending a your cash.

On campus job CANNOT help you in anyway with your school fees and bills. Ok?

1 Like

Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by Confilass: 10:49am On Nov 02, 2009
This is an interesting topic.

I should've been there (US) for my 1st degree but I wasn't given the visa. I have an Uncle who was ready to sponsor me. Since it's fail, I had to do my degree in Nija and am thinking of coming over for my Master.

Let me ask a question: how does it go with ppl that win lottery? At least I've an uncle who is established there.
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by Nobody: 12:45pm On Nov 02, 2009
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by posakosa(m): 12:46pm On Nov 02, 2009
kizzyaka:

If you win a lottery it means you will be coming to the US with an immigrant visa, precursor to permanent residency (aka green card). With that you are entitled to everything a citizen gets except voting and gov't jobs.

You can get city and state jobs.
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by posakosa(m): 12:48pm On Nov 02, 2009
Confilass:

This is an interesting topic.

I should've been there (US) for my 1st degree but I wasn't given the visa.  I have an Uncle who was ready to sponsor me.  Since it's fail, I had to do my degree in Nija and am thinking of coming over for my Master.

Let me ask a question:  how does it go with ppl that win lottery?  At least I've an uncle who is established there.

Dont depend on no uncle---- ko si omo iya lo oshodi.   Its tough living with someone in the U.S. ive heard some baad stories--- some strangers even treat some people better than family members.

2 Likes

Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by posakosa(m): 12:49pm On Nov 02, 2009
make sure u really know what ur uncle does for a living---- like the real truth.
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by Nobody: 1:02pm On Nov 02, 2009
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by posakosa(m): 1:29pm On Nov 02, 2009
smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by Nezan(m): 1:57pm On Nov 02, 2009
Enlightening thread.
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by johnkent(m): 2:47pm On Nov 02, 2009
posakosa:

make sure u really know what your uncle does for a living---- like the real truth.
i had a great family although some other students have had really had experiences with aunt's and cousins.
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by corrall(f): 2:52pm On Nov 02, 2009
Thank you so much every one that has contributed. this has been so educating.
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by Donpuk(m): 3:20pm On Nov 02, 2009
@all:nice & educative thread.@poster:u hv my unreserved thumbsup.@justwise:hw far?,hv u checked out dis thread-senate rejects peace prize for yar'adua.,,men do not go MIA on dis one.
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by justwise(m): 3:46pm On Nov 02, 2009
posakosa:

Dont depend on no uncle---- ko si omo iya lo oshodi. Its tough living with someone in the U.S. ive heard some baad stories--- some strangers even treat some people better than family members.

I completely agree with u

1 Like

Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by justwise(m): 3:47pm On Nov 02, 2009
Don puk:

@all:nice & educative thread.@poster:u hv my unreserved thumbsup.@justwise:hw far?,hv u checked out dis thread-senate rejects peace prize for yar'adua.,,men do not go MIA on dis one.

I'm good. Urself? No i haven't seen the thread
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by coolzil: 4:34pm On Nov 02, 2009
This goes out to all the F-1 Visa chasers dreaming of crossing 2 d US, you can start saving now to actualise your dreams, my brothers and sisters try 2 think deeply b4 traveling abroad!! even if you are lucky 2 jump the 1st hurdle, Visa, i doubt if u would be able to jump this one, payments of bills, fees without facing hell cry lipsrsealed cry lipsrsealed e.t.c im sure u dont want to end up cursing America when u finally realise the strict policies and how independent you are expected 2 be. These are the common symptoms experienced by those already infected in the system, shocked

1. Dropping out of School
2. Exploitation and stress from illegal work
3. Debts
4. Crime & Fear of Law enforcement
5. Inability to cross US border
6 Expectations 4rm friends and family @ home ( naija thing embarassed!!)
7. Visa expiration and openess to deportation.
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by johnkent(m): 4:36pm On Nov 02, 2009
cool zil:

This goes out to all the F-1 Visa chasers dreaming of crossing 2 d US, you can start saving now to actualise your dreams, my brothers and sisters try 2 think deeply b4 traveling abroad!! even if you are lucky 2 jump the 1st hurdle, Visa, i doubt if u would be able to jump this one, payments of bills, fees without facing hell cry lipsrsealed cry lipsrsealed e.t.c im sure u dont want to end up cursing America when u finally realise the strict policies and how independent you are expected 2 be. These are the common symptoms experienced by those already infected in the system, shocked

1. Dropping out of School
2. Exploitation and stress from illegal work
3. Debts
4. Crime & Fear of Law enforcement
5. Inability to cross US border
6 Expectations 4rm friends and family @ home ( naija thing embarassed!!)
7. Visa expiration and openess to deportation.
totally agree but u can tell that to someone in nigeria all u want, they still wont get it.

1 Like

Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by mahogany28: 6:46pm On Nov 02, 2009
Great topic.
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by Pittbaby(f): 9:30pm On Nov 02, 2009
one word , if you don't have money , SCHOLARSHIP, do your research they are out there nearly all my friends in school got one , my parents did not pay a dime for the second year of my masters program, only wish i was wise enough to have been has aggresive in my first year
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by Nobody: 10:32pm On Nov 02, 2009
how about those that win scholarships in the US

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by Donpuk(m): 7:04am On Nov 03, 2009
@justwise:am good my broda,hw is Eliza's kingdom? The thread: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-345382.99999.html #bot
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by suxes2005(m): 10:03am On Nov 03, 2009
wat about goin thru a community school? Is it possible to fund urself with some work while studying at a community school?

SHALOM
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by bigboyslim(m): 1:27pm On Nov 03, 2009
suxes2005:

wat about goin thru a community school? Is it possible to fund urself with some work while studying at a community school?

SHALOM

And i'm assuming you also plan to get a job after attending a community college right. When people that went to regular school's are still facing hell.

1 Like

Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by Nobody: 4:17pm On Nov 03, 2009
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by phuckNL: 4:29pm On Nov 03, 2009
It is not by force to school in the US. If you can not afford it or don't have the brain to get a scholarship, keep your ass with ASUU.
How will you convince the consular about your choice of a community college. Trust me, unless you have a good travel history, i doubt the embassy will grant you a visa to go to a community college. Maybe they did in the past, they probably will not do it now knowing Nigerians.
i mean, a community college simply tells them thatt you can't afford to go to school in the US and will be relying on public funds to survive.
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by Nobody: 4:41pm On Nov 03, 2009
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by routsz: 5:12pm On Nov 03, 2009
Also, the easiest and fastest way to cut out competition and get a job as a student when you see a vacancy advert on a notice board is to take that advert down if you can.   That way, you reduce the no of people who will apply for the same job with you, thereby increasing your chances.
u must b a smooth criminal  cheesy   cheesy   cheesy
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by posakosa(m): 5:14pm On Nov 03, 2009
^^^^^^^^ grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by LaNiger(m): 6:13pm On Nov 03, 2009
phuck_NL:

It is not by force to school in the US. If you can not afford it or don't have the brain to get a scholarship, keep your ass with ASUU.
How will you convince the consular about your choice of a community college. Trust me, unless you have a good travel history, i doubt the embassy will grant you a visa to go to a community college. Maybe they did in the past, they probably will not do it now knowing Nigerians.
i mean, a community college simply tells them thatt you can't afford to go to school in the US and will be relying on public funds to survive.

I got a student visa from the U.S consulate twelve years ago to attend a community college here in NYC. Focused on my studies, my clothes were about three years behind the fashion trend smiley because I spent all my money on books that were not available for free in the library.
To get a scholarship from community college to a four year college or university is quite doable, but extremely difficult.

You have to be in the top 1% of your graduating class. I actually got scholarship offers from several schools. (Howard University offered me a partial scholarship for the last year and Baruch College offered me a full scholarship). I took the free scholarship (awoof) and was offered a great job after graduation.

It is doable, but requires laser focus on your priorities and it was also twelve years ago; the U.S consulate was much nicer then.

Good luck to everyone, what the all the posters have said about coming to the U.S is true. Do not come here until you have sorted out your financial affairs, and you know what your priorities are. You cannot work and go to school, it is next to impossible as an undergraduate student. You must pick one, either school or work. All the best. smiley

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

PHOTOS: Why Lagos Is The Craziest City In World / Debris Of Chinese Rocket May Hit Abuja This Weekend / How Much Is Visa Fees To U.k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.