Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,802 members, 7,817,317 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:09 AM

The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us (45646 Views)

Nigerian Student In UK Drowns In Canada While On School Trip (Photos) / Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) / Nigerian Student's In Philipines, How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by Donmeca(m): 11:36am On Apr 01, 2011
Gosh! I can't believe a thread like this existed for more than a year and I was wasting time in politics section. Well, I don't blame myself I was deceived into working in a bank even with a pure science degree. Then I left home 5:30 am and came back 9:30 pm. . .no time for relaxation except laughing it off in d politics of naija. Mehn! I am very informed reading less than half of the entries here.

Guess i need a scholarship. . .even if not in the US, any other country with good academic standards will do.

@ebogentle, pls if u are still on this thread i need a push from u. . .or anyone with adequate knowledge on scholarships available to Nigerian masters degree students (I did PTDF last year but was not chosen)
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by nethacker(m): 5:29pm On Apr 01, 2011
@Beowulf, i hv added u on yahoo messanger. wen u comot for columbia?
wat more can i say as per ur post embarassed? i hv alot of pple who are victims of such circumstance. Now d story has chaged. i do tell alot of peeps who wanna come here to jam a miracle by faith not to come empty handed, if not, Thank God we r all smiling now grin grin
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by Nobody: 8:34pm On Apr 01, 2011
Big thanks to the OP
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by priestjp(m): 9:14pm On Apr 01, 2011
I want to thank the initiator of this thread, very educative indeed. Let me share my own story as a current graduate student in california, USA. I left Nigeria about a year ago with just a few thousand box. No tuition, no scholarship, it was a great risk I took but I had to since I lost my job in Naija and was idle.It has not been easy but I'm still standing and will soon get my masters. I have been able to sustain myself through oncampus jobs and donations from friends I met here( most especially a Ghanian friend).This spring I was almost kick out of school because of outstanding tuition balance
but to God be the glory I was given a special scholarship by the dean worth $6000.15.I can't and wont discourage anybody from coming to the usa. It doesn't matter where you are, what you need is God.Whether you live in Nigeria or USA without divine favour you cannot survive, life will be terrible for you.Base on my own experience, I will say that God is your only security, God will never fail you. Dont go to Nigeria or USA thinking life will be easier. It's your connection in God that matters.Also I will like to encourage all my fellow countrymen, dont be afraid of difficulty ones you have God.Remember david says" Though I walk through the valley of shadow of death I will fear no evil, " . Just be sure that your motive are right in whatever decision you take, change your mindset about life, its not your location( Nigeria or USA) but God that gives good things. Finally " All things work together for good to them that love God and are called according to his purpose, ".

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by cold(m): 9:25pm On Apr 01, 2011
^^Yes we all understand what God can do.My life is a testimony to that fact but what we're all saying is don't test the waters with both feet.Like Christ said
“It is said, ‘You shall not put the Lord your God to the test.’”

Luke 4:9
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by priestjp(m): 9:38pm On Apr 01, 2011
@cold that's why I said you must be convince that you're in the right direction, ones you're convince about your step the issue of tempting God does not arise.But God's word has promise us that " When we go through the waters he will be with us, " . Everyone just need to find his/her own conviction about this decisions. It has to do with destiny and personally there are some people in Nigeria today whose destiny will be open up in the USA. I stand corrected sha.
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by Quads: 6:35am On Sep 14, 2011
HI, i'm new to the forum, i just came to the states this fall for my masters my visa interview was ok (guess it would have been a lot less scary if i had known abt the student visa link) i would want to connect with any graduate student naira lander in UT Arlington.

1 Like

Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by imperiouxx(m): 10:06am On Sep 14, 2011
@quards,

Go to general US student visa enquiries. You meet a lot there. Ok
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by Uzodynmah: 4:34pm On Sep 16, 2011
I have learnt a lot from this thread. In all I believe students should have money to fall back on. @ priestjp pls post your email, I would like to contact Asap,
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by Nobody: 5:47pm On Sep 16, 2011
priestjp:

I want to thank the initiator of this thread, very educative indeed. Let me share my own story as a current graduate student in california, USA. I left Nigeria about a year ago with just a few thousand box. No tuition, no scholarship, it was a great risk I took but I had to since I lost my job in Naija and was idle.It has not been easy but I'm still standing and will soon get my masters. I have been able to sustain myself through oncampus jobs and donations from friends I met here( most especially a Ghanian friend).This spring I was almost kick out of school because of outstanding tuition balance
but to God be the glory I was given a special scholarship by the dean worth $6000.15.I can't and wont discourage anybody from coming to the usa. It doesn't matter where you are, what you need is God.Whether you live in Nigeria or USA without divine favour you cannot survive, life will be terrible for you.Base on my own experience, I will say that God is your only security, God will never fail you. Dont go to Nigeria or USA thinking life will be easier. It's your connection in God that matters.Also I will like to encourage all my fellow countrymen, dont be afraid of difficulty ones you have God.Remember david says" Though I walk through the valley of shadow of death I will fear no evil, " . Just be sure that your motive are right in whatever decision you take, change your mindset about life, its not your location( Nigeria or USA) but God that gives good things. Finally " All things work together for good to them that love God and are called according to his purpose, ".

Nigerians, instead of making adequate preparations . . . they just sit there blabbing about God this God that.
Yes i know that God will never fail you . . . but that same God said this - Luke 14:28 [size=13pt]For which of you, intending to build a tower, sitteth not down first, and counteth the cost, whether he have sufficient to finish it?[/size]

You've just been lucky to run into special help from friends . . . encouraging other criminally unprepared folks to rush to the US and trust God as their "security" is unfortunate. Many will only get disgraced out of school and deported.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by Nobody: 5:49pm On Sep 16, 2011
priestjp:

@cold that's why I said you must be convince that you're in the right direction, ones you're convince about your step the issue of tempting God does not arise.But God's word has promise us that " When we go through the waters he will be with us, " . Everyone just need to find his/her own conviction about this decisions. It has to do with destiny and personally there are some people in Nigeria today whose destiny will be open up in the USA. I stand corrected sha.

you had no idea what direction you were heading until you lost your job dude so stop preaching to the choir here.
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by imperiouxx(m): 6:40pm On Sep 16, 2011
@dave,

Na wa for you ooo. This priesty guy was last active on Jun 25 almost 2 months. Even this guy that asked him to contact him didn't know this.

1 Like

Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by Nobody: 1:10pm On Jul 18, 2012
@ ALL
Very insightful thread,couldnt have come at a better tym.

I choose to resuscitate this thread after almost 10 months.

Thanks to y'all for the gud contributions.
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by Nobody: 9:47pm On Aug 02, 2013
Wow . amazing thread.
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by chuckvinz(m): 11:41pm On Jul 11, 2014
Guys i am dv 2014 winner...nd i gat no financial ad from my family...i have a cousin living in d u.s. a doctor...nd i dnt knw if he can finance my studies as a undergraduate..please i need your advice on how to finance my self over there.
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by jascymone(m): 3:04pm On Dec 11, 2014
what happened to this thread
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by awe2015(f): 10:07pm On Sep 26, 2015
justwise:

She is selfish and what goes around comes around.

She is smart for me ooo..what if after the interview dey no come accept am lol grin
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by justwise(m): 10:17pm On Sep 26, 2015
awe2015:

She is smart for me ooo..what if after the interview dey no come accept am lol grin

If you called that being smart then you just gave smartness a new definition.

1 Like

Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by awe2015(f): 10:26pm On Sep 26, 2015
justwise:

If called that being smart then you just gave smartness a new definition.

The originators of the meaning of that word gave it the meaning they wanted us to follow...Selfish I know, but smart in disguise wink
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by Nobody: 3:12am On Dec 30, 2016
Hmm
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by Nobody: 4:50pm On Jan 03, 2017
Highly enlightening
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by KendrickAyomide: 11:34pm On Sep 16, 2017
na wah
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by oquaeta: 5:07pm On Oct 16, 2017
Enlightening
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by Myhighdreams(f): 8:44am On Jun 18, 2018
Wow, this thread is quite helpful i hope those intending to travel out go through it.
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by Philips1984(m): 12:36am On Feb 18, 2022
Pls I need your advice here on this platform, I received I-20 from one of the university in United State, I m going there for Master degree in education training and instructional technology. I was also given graduate assistantship offer on campus worth of $4500, my initial tution is approximately to $35,000 including other fees. My plan was that after schooling I will get better job and stay in United State, to get prof of fund is not going to be a problem, but the available money after Visa cnt More than 5m, pls can this be enough for me with the graduate assistantship offer if I get to United State? Or I should not go? Because I don't want to go there and suffer, I don't know anyone there.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

12 Most Loved Cities In Nigeria / Longest Airport Runways In Nigeria(photos) / Can I Travel From Lagos To Us By Sea?how Much?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.