Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,859 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:25 PM

The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us (45667 Views)

Nigerian Student In UK Drowns In Canada While On School Trip (Photos) / Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) / Nigerian Student's In Philipines, How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by cvibe: 5:30pm On Nov 01, 2009
@ justwise,

That was a factual experience from a Nija student i know.

As a student, she saw an advert on the students notice board for a student job located just beside her house. She took it down after reading it.

On the day of the interview there were only two applicants (she and one other person who saw the ad before she did) The employer interviewed both of them and said she would wait for more applicants to show up.

As no one else showed up, she decided to offer the job to this person i know, who happened to be the best of the two applicants.

4 Likes

Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by justwise(m): 5:33pm On Nov 01, 2009
cvibe:

@ justwise,

As a student, she saw an advert on the students notice board for a student job located just beside her house. She took it down after reading it.

On the day of the interview there were only two applicants (she and one other person who saw the ad before she did) The employer interviewed both of them and said she would wait for more applicants to show up.
As no one else showed up, she decided to offer the job to this person i know, who happened to be the best of the two applicants.

She is selfish and what goes around comes around.

5 Likes

Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by joxiri: 5:35pm On Nov 01, 2009
lol
justwise where are you in the uk, if you dont mind me asking
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by cvibe: 5:37pm On Nov 01, 2009
@ So you think!

The employer had preferred a white, but since no one else applied, she had to make do with the people that applied.
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by justwise(m): 5:38pm On Nov 01, 2009
joxiri:

lol
justwise where are you in the uk, if you dont mind me asking

North of England
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by cvibe: 5:40pm On Nov 01, 2009
@ Justwise

Tyne and wear?
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by joxiri: 5:42pm On Nov 01, 2009
lol
why do you assume it will be tyne and wear cvibe
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by justwise(m): 5:44pm On Nov 01, 2009
cvibe:

@ So you think!

The employer had preferred a white, but since no one else applied, she had to make do with the people that applied.

No the employer has to make do with her and the other person, pple did not apply cos she removed the advert.
She is not the only one that needs that job. Its basically wrong to do that.

Its like borrowing a book from the library and refused to return it cos u don't want others to read and pass.

1 Like

Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by cvibe: 5:46pm On Nov 01, 2009
Just figured. Cos North east is mostly about Tyne and wear.  Except she's in Scotland.
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by justwise(m): 5:46pm On Nov 01, 2009
cvibe:

@ Justwise

Tyne and wear?

Will leave u to sort that out urself
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by joxiri: 5:53pm On Nov 01, 2009
@ justwise theres a thread on the romance section about
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-345530.0.html
I would like to know your opinion on it because i think the poster was slightly wrong
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by justwise(m): 5:56pm On Nov 01, 2009
joxiri:

@ justwise theres a thread on the romance section about
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-345530.0.html
I would like to know your opinion on it because i think the poster was slightly wrong

He was refering to north of the UK not England. Though he must be visiting red light street
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by cvibe: 6:03pm On Nov 01, 2009
Same difference!

Happens in Newcastle as well.
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by justwise(m): 6:05pm On Nov 01, 2009
cvibe:

Same difference!

Happens in Newcastle as well.

I don't live in Newcastle though i have been there and went clubing, women don't come with open leg begging for it.
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by cvibe: 6:11pm On Nov 01, 2009
Who says they don't! Newcastle, Durham, Chestle street, to mention but a few.
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by justwise(m): 6:13pm On Nov 01, 2009
cvibe:

Who says they don't! Newcastle, Durham, Chestle street, to mention but a few.

Are u talking abt wkends when they are pissed or wat?
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by DisGuy: 6:18pm On Nov 01, 2009
can we get back to student living expenses please,
person wey never pay rent dey chase oyinbo wey no go give you nada!
remember oyinbo relationship na o.y.o

What is it like for students after graduating in the US, are they allowed to work like the UK?
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by justwise(m): 6:19pm On Nov 01, 2009
Dis Guy:

can we get back to student living expenses please,
person wey never pay rent dey chase oyinbo wey no go give you nada!
remember oyinbo relationship na o.y.o

What is it like for students after graduating in the US, are they allowed to work like the UK?

Good question
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by cvibe: 6:33pm On Nov 01, 2009
http://www.h1base.com/visa/work/OPT%20to%20H1B%20Visa/ref/1264/

Too long to post here, but might help.
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by skfa1: 6:41pm On Nov 01, 2009
Nice discusion guys cheesy
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by agathamari(f): 7:25pm On Nov 01, 2009
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by johnkent(m): 7:34pm On Nov 01, 2009
justwise:

Good question
When u graduate, you can can apply for OPT which allows you to work for about a yr. Very few students with some science degrees are allowed to work for about 2 yrs i think and after that, u've got to go home.
Getting Greencard after the OPT expires is almost impossible unless u get married to a US citizen. Another option for most science students is applying for H1B visa through an employers but because of the number of people that apply for it and the limited visa, its just a game of luck as u'll probably not get it.
Another option is having an employer file for greencard for you but this can take up to 10yrs depending on ur country of citizenship. The thing about this route is that while u're application is pending, u'll have to be legally present in the US all those yrs ( U'll have to continue to maintain f-1 stautus and NOT WORK WITHOUT AUTHORISATION) which is very hard to do. that means that u're chances of getting the greencard is slim because u'll probably be out of status by the time ur visa number is available. Having said that thou, u can request that ur visa number be sent to a US consulate in ur country of permanent residence where u can go pick up the visa but the thing is that the visa can be refused because of illegal stay in the US.
The easiest way for most students that graduate from US colleges to live and work here is to get married to a USC you love. Getting married for papers will be very tough if you hold a NIGERIAN passport.

1 Like

Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by agathamari(f): 7:42pm On Nov 01, 2009
link=topic=344772.msg4840634#msg4840634 date=1257097271:

Started my masters, and planning to get the phd, hopefully in havard. (I pray it should be Hav, or Stamford)
I heard phds are so easy to get down there. Im told masters are not so cheap as they are accessed on the degrees. And they, the best university down here is like a toilet college down in the US.
Can some suggest how much an MBA or Phd costs in one of the best leading financial university in the US? Or Canada?

harvard is $47,215 per year including fees and r&b.  most schools put thier tuition scheduals on thier websites.
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by johnkent(m): 7:46pm On Nov 01, 2009
agathamari:

harvard is $$47,215 per year including fees and r&b. most schools put thier tuition scheduals on thier websites.
when it comes to graduate sch(masters and Phd), u can always find financial help thru being a teaching assistant, research assistant etc. U can get full scholarship or in-state tuition since u are an int'l student and that would help out alot with tuition.
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by seguno2: 8:04pm On Nov 01, 2009
Since I can’t get a job, what I do most time is helping my classmates to do their works and charging them a few bucks for service rendered.

very courageous, smart and creative thinking BUT most 9ja guys will be too proud () to do that yet willing to do odd jobs illegally to make ends meet and drop out of school.
BTW, such creative thinking that does not mind starting small while staying focused on your ultimate goal is what marks out successful people.
Keep it up. cool
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by seguno2: 8:13pm On Nov 01, 2009
cvibe:

@ justwise,

and this person fit be fire-spitting, holy-ghost filled christian or k.oran-clutching, beard-growing/scarf-wrapped m.uslim shocked

justwise:

She is selfish and what goes around comes around.

Thank u so much- do unto others as u would have them do unto you ( essence of most religions.)
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by tems777: 8:51pm On Nov 01, 2009
Hi guys,
let me add my considerable experience to your discussion, having done my undergrad and post-grad in the UK.
I believe the UK is far easier to come to and study without money than the US.
I personally prefer US to UK generally, having seen both but the UK system gives a lot of room for manouvres and is badly monitored so even though you are allowed to work anywhere legally for 20 hrs a week, you can work many more hours .
For instance, if you decide to do minicab , you can do all the hours God sends without any detection because nobody can really tell how many hours you are doing. Besides, there are lots of Naijas in London that might have one way or another to help.
You can also do personal tuition at £20 an hour among others.
The US system is just too strigent and thats my opinion,
But sha I like US but I cant go through any green card wahala or visa, so its just going on holiday visa free for me.
I have been there guys and I have at least two friends who used I-20 to study in America successfully as well.
So impossible is nothing.
I wish you all prospective international students all the best

1 Like

Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by Hauwa1: 9:07pm On Nov 01, 2009
international student working off campus after 9mnth i doubt it.
international students are not allowed to work off campus, but i read in the handbook  lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

anyone coming as a student must have money oooo grin
with f1, you are only supposed to work 20 hrs during sch session and 40 during summer. u work more than the hrs, u may get into trouble. aha, the suppervisor will always be there to make sure anyway grin what are you going to use 20 hrs of work to do shocked here undecided undecided

work full time and study is not funny. without full scholarships wetin i for do? grin  cheesy

i pity my tanzanian friends lipsrsealed
not easy at all.

1 Like

Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by ebogentle(m): 10:15pm On Nov 01, 2009
By and large, travel abroad to study without proper planning (aka,  financial planning) is an expensive risk.
Even b4 i finished my NYSC, i started planning ahead by enquiring about Scholarships.
I applied for the PTDF for my masters and i was not chosen. I was undeterred and i applied for the BEA (Bilateral Education Agreements)
Scholarship which is administered by Federal Scholarship Board in Abuja. I noticed that a lot of candidates ignored BEA the moment they saw on the form that
participating countries did not include the UK and North America(well, lots of my friends did). I went for the interview and i got a scholarship to go to China. You may wanna know that
It was sort of a double scholarship as i was getting money from both the Chinese Govt and the Nigerian Govt.
Finally b4 the end of my interesting and rewarding stay in China for Masters, i applied to PTDF again, this time for PhD in UK. Guess what , i got it!!!
When it rains, it pours. Even b4 PTDF came through, i already secured a 4-yr Scholarship in Singapore (please google the word SINGA and the read the very first entry)
and i even had a Nigerian Born prof as my tentative supervisor. I remember travelling to Singapore only to de-register myself and do some sight seeing. A few weeks later i was enroute UK where i am at the moment.

By the way i know another Nigerian who was in China with me and is now in Canada on full scholarship. I know yet another compatriot in China one who is in the USA on full scholarship and another two, one doing a PhD and one doing a second Masters all on PTDF scholarship in the UK.

I guess my message is, dont be too focused on Western Europe and North America Alone. So many countries like China, Japan, Russia, Turkey, Singapore offer scholarships. One thing though, Note that i havent advocated for Part-time work. These countries are not exactly the places for that ooooo. Be warned! But i assure you, there are numerous scholarships out there as long as u are not tunnel visioned to US/UK/Canada alone.
Gbam!

5 Likes

Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by Redman44(m): 1:08am On Nov 02, 2009
@ebogentle, nice one.

Well, here is my take on this topic. Except you are the child of a politician, industrialist or you come from a wealthy family, studying abroad is not easy, especially in the UK and North America. Apart from not being allowed to work for more than 20 hours per week [ in some ocountries, you can only work on campus initially i.e Canada ] , there are other challenges you will face. You will have to pay for your accomodation [ if you don't have relatives to house you ], pay bills, feed and clothe yourself etc etc. I don't want to bore you with these callenges cos I guess you already know them all. However, where there is a will, there is always a way out. There are so many ways you can earn money these days without abusing your working rights as an international student. You don't need to work more than 20 hours with your NI or social security Number. You can raise money to pay your fees if you follow my suggestions:

1. Trading on ebay, gumtree or Alibaba.com: People are making a lot of money by selling things on ebay. If you get the products that move, you will be smiling in a matter of months. However, you have to learn the secrets of trading on ebay by doing some research on the internet. You will also need to attend local auctions and boot sales to get the goods you will resell on ebay. The same method applies to Alibaba.com and gumtree. Phones, electrical products, clothes, shoes, computers sell well on these sites. The key is getting cheap but efficient goods from auctions and fayres and reselling them at higher prices. For ebay, you will need to set up a paypal account. For Gumtree, the buyer pays you cash. Dunno much about Alibaba.com. Do your research. You will need to have a digital camera for these trading ideas.

2. Doing Cash In Hand Jobs: These kind of jobs are widely available in Britain, though you need to provide an Identification that shows you're eligible to work in the UK. If you speak good english, have good looks and you're confident, you can start promoting night clubs, comedy clubs and bars and get paid cash daily. Another way of earning non taxable money is by working as a leaflet distributor. This Leaflet Distribution industry is not regulated and if you develop a good friendship wiith your employer, you could be earning loads of money. You can also get a reference [ which is difficult to get these days ] from the company or individual you deliver leaflets for. It should be noted that leaflet distribution is a tough job though but if you're serious with it, you can pay your bills with the job. You can do it for 3-5 hours daily. Leaflet Distribution should be done when you are searching for other jobs. It provides you with extra money for food, clothes and can pay your rent if you're dogged enough. You can approach eateries and businesses yourself and tell them you can distribute their leaflets and flyers. Restaurants will even give you free food sometimes if the owners like the work you're doing smiley smiley

3. Writing jobs online: If you're good with words, you can earn good money blogging and writing online. Online writing jobs are available these days. Many companies are looking for freelancers and contributors to their online publications. If you're good enough, you can make a decent income by churning out words for cash. The money will not be much initially, but as time goes on, you will have more clients and more writing jobs. Do a google search for writing jobs.

Above all, you have to be focused with your studies. Try and make good grades and make sure you graduate and get your certificates. Also learn to manage your time well. Cheers.

6 Likes

Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by highpappy: 1:23am On Nov 02, 2009
Can someone get a scholarship while out of status(not F-1) in the US?? Pls anybody with info shoud pls sharee it as am about to drop out of school.
anyone??
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by johnkent(m): 2:19am On Nov 02, 2009
highpappy:

Can someone get a scholarship while out of status(not F-1) in the US?? Pls anybody with info shoud pls sharee it as am about to drop out of school.
anyone??

U actually answered the question urself. U can't get a scholarship if you cant go abck to school. Being out of status means u can't be able to enroll and get a new I-20 so getting a scholarship wont do u any good.
If u are on B2 visa, u absolultey wont be able to get into any US school. U will need an f-1 visa and since u've already violated the terms of ur B2 visa, u wont be able to change ur status to f-1. sorry.
let me know what happens buddy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

12 Most Loved Cities In Nigeria / List Of Nationalities In The Crashed Ethiopian Airlines Plane / Longest Airport Runways In Nigeria(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.