Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,410 members, 7,812,215 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:10 AM

Senators, Reps Lament: We’re Not Recouping Campaign Spending - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senators, Reps Lament: We’re Not Recouping Campaign Spending (14534 Views)

Senators, Reps Exchange Blows In Akpabio’s House Ahead Of Convention - TheNation / We’re Not Part Of Ipob’s Sit-home Order To Mark Biafra Day – Anglican Clerics / Senators, Reps Lament Cash Crunch In N’assembly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senators, Reps Lament: We’re Not Recouping Campaign Spending by ijustdey: 11:02am On Nov 07, 2016
Some members of the National Assembly are lamenting their inability to recoup the millions of naira they spent on electioneering campaign, 17 months after their inauguration, Daily Trust reports.

Section 91 of the Electoral Act 2010 caps elections spending for Senate at N40 million and House of Representatives at N20 million. Violating the Act attracts a fine of N600, 000 or six months imprisonment or both, in the case of Senate, and a fine of N500, 000 or five months imprisonment or both, for the House of Representatives.

However, aspiring national lawmakers spend well above the spending limit.

While a senator from the South-South said he spent N1billion during his campaign for the Upper Chamber, one of his colleagues from the North-Central said he spent N300 million.

The expenditures were incurred before and during elections, excluding legal fees for those taken to court by their opponents after the election.

We are in trouble - Sen Manager
Senator James Manager (PDP, Delta South), who has been at the Senate since 2003, said senators were drained before, during and after the election by the public.

“Calls are coming from all over the places, bring this and bring that even after the election, we are still spending. In the Electoral Act, there is specific amount but in practical terms it is not possible. We borrowed and are still borrowing,” he said.

Manager was speaking during the screening of Professor Okechukwu Ibeano as a national commissioner of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

Lamenting further, Manager recalled how a Senatorial candidate jumped into the lagoon after spending huge sum on election.

“A man who contested for one of three senatorial districts of Lagos in 2011 drove to his bank six months after the election. On his way back, he asked his driver to stop, he walked for few minutes and jumped into the lagoon.

“We are in trouble, Professor please how do we resolve this?” Manager asked Professor Ibeano.

Chairman of the Senate Committee on INEC, Senator Abubakar Kyari (APC, Borno North), said the amount stipulated in the Electoral Act was not realistic.

“We have 120,000 polling units across the country and if a Presidential candidate pays N10, 000 to each agent at each of the polling units, he will spend N1.2billion just for agents on election day,” he said.

However, Professor Ibeano said: “I definitely feel your frustration but my profession is against borrowing for elections. The only way out is for political parties to go back to the 60s where volunteer party members assist without being paid. As long as you pay for everything, you will continue to spend.”

Times have changed
Daily Trust gathered that lawmakers, who served during previous assemblies, made money through deals with MDAs and other government officials. Those who failed to cooperate were frustrated.

At the peak of budget processes last year, heads of MDAs were warned against lobbying for increase in budgetary allocation at the National Assembly. A memo to this effect was issued by the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Mr Babachir David Lawal.

A lawmaker said: “We are afraid to ask them (MDAs) now and they too are afraid to bring anything. Like now that we’re approaching the end of the year, MDAs would bring a lot of things to us, but last year was totally different, and I’m sure this year too will be the same.”

A senator who is into transportation business also expressed dismay. He said: “I should have concentrated on my business than coming here because now I don’t have enough time for my business, yet I’m not making anything here.”

Another lawmaker said: “Seriously, this is not what I expected. In fact, I can tell you that I was better off as a businessman than a legislator.

“The story was different before I came here, at least so I was told. Our predecessors enjoyed their stay at the National Assembly, but our own case is different.”

Some of the lawmakers said if things continued like this up to 2019, they might not seek re-election “because the business of legislature appears to be unprofitable.”

A former lawmaker, who spoke to Daily Trust on condition of anonymity, said: “It will not be fair to say every lawmaker comes to the National Assembly to make money. But it is true that many come with that thinking that it is a goldmine. It will certainly be good to make public office unattractive so that only the best and those ready to serve will stand in election.”

He however said that the get-rich-in-office syndrome was not limited to the lawmakers alone. “Even among the executive many see their position as a key to riches and easy money. So we need to get our priorities right,” he added.

Speaking at a seminar titled “The role of the legislature in the fight against corruption in Nigeria,” organized by the anti-corruption committees of the Senate and House of Representatives in Abuja, Kenya’s former anti-corruption chief, Prof Patrick Lumumba, said if a politician was willing to spend N1billion for a N30m job, then it should be clear he was not going there to serve but to make money.

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/general/senators-reps-lament-we-re-not-recouping-campaign-spending/170440.html

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senators, Reps Lament: We’re Not Recouping Campaign Spending by Nobody: 11:09am On Nov 07, 2016
9ja senators... angry angry

God will judge you guys separately...

28 Likes

Re: Senators, Reps Lament: We’re Not Recouping Campaign Spending by TheFreeOne: 11:10am On Nov 07, 2016
They should do same as the politician who jumped into the lagoon in Lagos did. It's a sure way of ending their lamentations.

That'll save us more greedy hands looting the treasury since they've shown their sole aim in contesting is self-aggrandizement and not making laws for a better Nigeria.

35 Likes

Re: Senators, Reps Lament: We’re Not Recouping Campaign Spending by 9jatriot(m): 11:12am On Nov 07, 2016
Did I just read that it is no longer profitable to be a senator or house of rep under Buhari or did my eyes just play me a trick?

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senators, Reps Lament: We’re Not Recouping Campaign Spending by Islie: 11:43am On Nov 07, 2016
A former lawmaker, who spoke to Daily Trust on condition of anonymity, said: “It will not be fair to say every lawmaker comes to the National Assembly to make money. But it is true that many come with that thinking that it is a goldmine. It will certainly be good to make public office unattractive so that only the best and those ready to serve will stand in election.”

this is what will move the country forward and we could have legislators and not business men who are "legistlooters"

18 Likes

Re: Senators, Reps Lament: We’re Not Recouping Campaign Spending by omenka(m): 12:48pm On Nov 07, 2016
Got an idea.. How about they just stepped down, maybe completely suspend the useless NASS since it appears there isn't much to steal these days??

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senators, Reps Lament: We’re Not Recouping Campaign Spending by Nobody: 1:49pm On Nov 07, 2016
grin grin grin grin
Re: Senators, Reps Lament: We’re Not Recouping Campaign Spending by Lasskeey: 1:50pm On Nov 07, 2016
grin

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senators, Reps Lament: We’re Not Recouping Campaign Spending by TonyeBarcanista(m): 1:51pm On Nov 07, 2016
They are liars! they have recouped and over recouped their investment. The revelation by Hon Jubrin should be an eye opener.

Before you believe them, ask them How they spend their 120Billion Naira annual budget?

Ask them how many billions they inserted in padded budget?

Ask them How much they received as kickbacks from Ministers and other parastatal heads.

Bloody Liars!

42 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Senators, Reps Lament: We’re Not Recouping Campaign Spending by AntiWailer: 1:51pm On Nov 07, 2016
They will not recoup in God's name.

Any one who recoup will lose to thieves and armed robbers.

7 Likes

Re: Senators, Reps Lament: We’re Not Recouping Campaign Spending by zoroby(m): 1:51pm On Nov 07, 2016
1st time!!! I did not say page o
Re: Senators, Reps Lament: We’re Not Recouping Campaign Spending by Firefire(m): 1:51pm On Nov 07, 2016
Awon eleribu

1 Like

Re: Senators, Reps Lament: We’re Not Recouping Campaign Spending by Akinz0126(m): 1:51pm On Nov 07, 2016
Good for you guys that Kenya guy nailed it all. No wonder non of them is sponsoring any bill in favour of the masses.

1 Like

Re: Senators, Reps Lament: We’re Not Recouping Campaign Spending by eezeribe(m): 1:52pm On Nov 07, 2016
It's no longer business as usual

And the campaign expenses went to those same people who are calling them corrupt

3 Likes

Re: Senators, Reps Lament: We’re Not Recouping Campaign Spending by Lovelynature(m): 1:52pm On Nov 07, 2016
grin
Re: Senators, Reps Lament: We’re Not Recouping Campaign Spending by Oblaf: 1:54pm On Nov 07, 2016
Well recession has taken over
Re: Senators, Reps Lament: We’re Not Recouping Campaign Spending by AfroKnight: 1:54pm On Nov 07, 2016
shocked
They are not even scared to say such nonsense. With all the money and cars they have been sharing These people don't fear God o.

2 Likes

Re: Senators, Reps Lament: We’re Not Recouping Campaign Spending by Unsad(m): 1:54pm On Nov 07, 2016
Buhari's touch cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Senators, Reps Lament: We’re Not Recouping Campaign Spending by Pavore9: 1:54pm On Nov 07, 2016
“The story was different before I came here, at least so I was told. Our predecessors enjoyed their stay at the National Assembly, but our own case is different....Some of the lawmakers said if things continued like this up to 2019, they might not seek re-election “because the business of legislature appears to be unprofitable.”.....Legislathieves! angry

4 Likes

Re: Senators, Reps Lament: We’re Not Recouping Campaign Spending by gentlelarry(m): 1:56pm On Nov 07, 2016
I said it before and I will say it again, until they beg people in Nigeria to come and run for public offices and they will say No! Then we are not there yet.

BTW
If u are in Lagos and you are interested in learning CCTV and Video Camera Installation, Cosmetology Skin treatment and make up, Event Management and bridal service. While u also earn Start up income of 300K or more after training? You should definitely buzz me up! *Note* training is just once a week. Help others by telling them about this great opportunity. Check out my signature for my contact.

2 Likes

Re: Senators, Reps Lament: We’re Not Recouping Campaign Spending by teemy(m): 2:00pm On Nov 07, 2016
even the 40million is really high already. i hope the next crop learn from their mistakes and not fall into the same pit and learn to spend within limits.

1 Like

Re: Senators, Reps Lament: We’re Not Recouping Campaign Spending by deenvibe(m): 2:02pm On Nov 07, 2016
Are u guys there to recoup our stolen money you spent lavishly on election? Awon oloriburuku oshi

1 Like

Re: Senators, Reps Lament: We’re Not Recouping Campaign Spending by Aburi001: 2:04pm On Nov 07, 2016
DDeliverer:
9ja senators... angry angry

God will judge you guys separately...
Yeah.....God will spend EXTRA TIME judging their cases grin

1 Like

Re: Senators, Reps Lament: We’re Not Recouping Campaign Spending by ericessien24: 2:09pm On Nov 07, 2016
sai buhari

3 Likes

Re: Senators, Reps Lament: We’re Not Recouping Campaign Spending by teemy(m): 2:10pm On Nov 07, 2016
i remember a chieftain saying the 27million presidential form distinguishes the men from the boys. such spiking of fees limits those that would have selflessly wanted to serve their country but cannot afford such high amounts. limitation is expedient

1 Like

Re: Senators, Reps Lament: We’re Not Recouping Campaign Spending by calyto: 2:11pm On Nov 07, 2016
grin grin grin grin grin grin
LOOOL

9jatriot:
Did I just read that it is no longer profitable to be a senator or house of rep under Buhari or did my eyes just play me a trick?
Re: Senators, Reps Lament: We’re Not Recouping Campaign Spending by godwin120alex: 2:12pm On Nov 07, 2016
I don't believe them cos Dino has been buying expensive cars

3 Likes

Re: Senators, Reps Lament: We’re Not Recouping Campaign Spending by juman(m): 2:16pm On Nov 07, 2016
Buhari = change.

1 Like

Re: Senators, Reps Lament: We’re Not Recouping Campaign Spending by muykem: 2:17pm On Nov 07, 2016
You can now see reason why all Bills from executive look empty in their eyes.
Re: Senators, Reps Lament: We’re Not Recouping Campaign Spending by amuijiji: 2:20pm On Nov 07, 2016
Spending 1 billion to campaign Abeg nah World president election

No wonder we end up with Thieves as senators nd legislooters...

2 Likes

Re: Senators, Reps Lament: We’re Not Recouping Campaign Spending by Fantastic2m(m): 2:21pm On Nov 07, 2016
Re: Senators, Reps Lament: We’re Not Recouping Campaign Spending by Paperwhite(m): 2:21pm On Nov 07, 2016
[/b]"Some of the lawmakers said if things continued like this up to 2019, they might not seek re-election “because the business of legislature appears to be unprofitable.”
"[b]
I'm not surprised.Chronic liars & bunch of criminals from different political divide out to milk Nigeria dry.God punish all of una there.

4 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (Reply)

Malabu Scandal: AGF Writes Buhari, Wants Trial Of Adoke, Diezani, Others Stopped / Adamawa Police Headquarters Under Attack / Hydro Plants Responsible For Improved Power Supply - Dr Joy Ogaji

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.