Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,696 members, 7,816,847 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:43 PM

What To Do If Your Boss Is Incompetent - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What To Do If Your Boss Is Incompetent (9609 Views)

Help! My Boss Is Taking Credit For My Work / Help My Boss Is Frustrating Me / My Boss Is Terribly Corrupt. Should I Blow The Whistle? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What To Do If Your Boss Is Incompetent by apeiron24(m): 5:16pm On Nov 10, 2016
If it’s any consolation, you’re not alone if you’re saddled with an incompetent boss.

Thousands of unqualified bosses somehow manage to hold onto their jobs. There are even inept CEOs who couldn’t run a broom closet, let alone multimillion-dollar corporations.

How Do You Know If Your Boss Is Incompetent?

Don’t berate yourself for not realizing your boss was a hopeless nincompoop before you took the job. How could you know what the future would hold back at the interview when you were totally focused on making a great impression? And your boss probably didn’t have any opportunities to demonstrate incompetence while being on his best behavior.

But now that you’ve settled into your job, the signs of incompetence can be likened to headlights on a pitch-black night. They’re unavoidable.

Common clues include:

Inability to Make Decisions: An incompetent boss often waffles over decisions that should be made instantly.

Tendency to Make Bad Choices: Ineffectual bosses often make poorly planned, miscalculated decisions. Miraculously, most incompetent bosses manage to save themselves at the 11th hour.

Reliance on Subordinates to Get Work Done: Incompetent bosses may not have a clue how to get their own jobs done, yet they have the uncanny sense to rely on their teams to cover for them.

Ability to Keep the Job Despite Failings: You’d be shocked how many inept bosses hold onto their jobs despite their failings. Many management consultants have yet to figure out why. Typically, they rely on their subordinates to get them through hard times.
Take Advantage

Your situation looks far worse than it is. Don’t be so quick to take the first new job you can find just to get away from your boss. Learning to adjust could be a career-enhancing experience. Incredible as it seems, your boss’s ineptitude could be a blessing.

For example, you have the chance to stand out by becoming an asset to your boss. The more you do and accomplish, the better it looks on your resume. It also scores points with management and potential employers.

Try these strategies for turning unfortunate circumstances into an advantage:

Cover in a Crisis: If your boss is away on a business trip or vacation and an issue requiring instant decision-making arises, you have two choices: either turn the problem over to a senior manager or make the decision yourself. Calling in senior managers makes your boss look bad. If you’re confident you can take over, you’d be wise to make the decision. Remember: Heroes are born in crisis situations.

Compensate for Deficiencies: It’s to your advantage to discover your boss’s weak spots and help him in those areas. You want to be part of a winning team, and your boss is this team’s captain. You will get much further in a company if you associate yourself with successful projects. For example, an incompetent boss will struggle with complex ventures. Guide him through until everything is completed. You’ll look good by making your team look good.

Beware: Watch what you say about your boss. It’s very easy to complain and vent frustrations about your less-than-qualified boss to coworkers. Without realizing it, you could be talking to the boss’s good friend or someone who wants to score points with him. Keep your opinions to yourself.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What To Do If Your Boss Is Incompetent by Nobody: 6:40am On Nov 11, 2016
I still prefer a listening incompetent boss to rude untrainable mediocre.

I believe in working as a team.
Nobody know it all

18 Likes

Re: What To Do If Your Boss Is Incompetent by wildchild1: 6:42am On Nov 11, 2016
If you ask me, na who I go ask? grin

Check my signature
Re: What To Do If Your Boss Is Incompetent by jeff1993: 6:42am On Nov 11, 2016
IF your boss is incompetent then leave him like that oooo ...... cos if u do "I too sabi" .... u will land in d streets Jobless!!!

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: What To Do If Your Boss Is Incompetent by beautiful232(f): 6:44am On Nov 11, 2016
Nice one
don't rush to take a new job!

1 Like

Re: What To Do If Your Boss Is Incompetent by sleeknick: 6:45am On Nov 11, 2016
Is that how u used to do?? undecided

2 Likes

Re: What To Do If Your Boss Is Incompetent by nmreports: 6:45am On Nov 11, 2016
Remember, your boss is your boss.
There is always a reason they put him there.

He may not be the best but perhaps he has sound judgment, management skills, good speaker etc.
Work with him or her nonetheless.

Check www.HRtechnique.com for updates on what you should expect at the ongoing DPR recruitment, First bank and Stanbic recruitment etc. Likely questions to be asked, interviews stages etc.

2 Likes

Re: What To Do If Your Boss Is Incompetent by jaheymezz(m): 6:46am On Nov 11, 2016
Just grab em by the pussy period

1 Like

Re: What To Do If Your Boss Is Incompetent by benjamin007: 6:47am On Nov 11, 2016
fucq ur boss,helps alot

1 Like

Re: What To Do If Your Boss Is Incompetent by Nobody: 6:47am On Nov 11, 2016
grin grin grin grin

GhenGhen moment...
Re: What To Do If Your Boss Is Incompetent by eezeribe(m): 6:48am On Nov 11, 2016
You that is competent, go and build your own corporation

5 Likes

Re: What To Do If Your Boss Is Incompetent by Yampotatocarrot(m): 6:51am On Nov 11, 2016
Depends on the kind of boss u mean... If ur boss z d owner of d company n he started t himself from scratch n have grown t to where t z now, *on what grounds will u call him incompetent* even if he has some of d clues u listed above?

Don't forget a lot of things come in, like old age, trying to play safe now, E.t.c.

All I'm saying z NO BOSS who started his company himself and grew t z incompetent. U might have better ideas, more modernized ways of doing things.... But t doesnt make him/her incompetent

#THANKS#

4 Likes

Re: What To Do If Your Boss Is Incompetent by ayodotcom(m): 6:52am On Nov 11, 2016
Lemme kip quiet

Re: What To Do If Your Boss Is Incompetent by Tunmmyzhe: 6:55am On Nov 11, 2016
The First Law if Power says

"Do not outshine your boss"

Your boss is still your boss. But to be sincere with you

If your boss is incompetence and there is loopholes in your department as a result of his failure then your are not competent too. There should be team work in an organisation/ Department to achieve a certain goal.

1 Like

Re: What To Do If Your Boss Is Incompetent by iamademola(m): 7:03am On Nov 11, 2016
I'm new into a job,and I'm having this same issue right now,but I won't talk.

1 Like

Re: What To Do If Your Boss Is Incompetent by veekid(m): 7:06am On Nov 11, 2016
[size=28pt]I have no boss; I'm my own boss[/size]

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What To Do If Your Boss Is Incompetent by Phrankin(m): 7:07am On Nov 11, 2016
Act like you're even more incompetent.
You should never be smarter than your boss.
That's the way to get ahead.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What To Do If Your Boss Is Incompetent by Aikon: 7:08am On Nov 11, 2016
hmm
1st law of power: NEVER OUTSHINE THE MASTER

3 Likes

Re: What To Do If Your Boss Is Incompetent by KillerBeauty(f): 7:18am On Nov 11, 2016
Yampotatocarrot:
Depends on the kind of boss u mean... If ur boss z d owner of d company n he started t himself from scratch n have grown t to where t z now, *on what grounds will u call him incompetent* even if he has some of d clues u listed above?

Don't forget a lot of things come in, like old age, trying to play safe now, E.t.c.

All I'm saying z NO BOSS who started his company himself and grew t z incompetent. U might have better ideas, more modernized ways of doing things.... But t doesnt make him/her incompetent

#THANKS#

If u read the article you will know the kind of boss op is talking about.

1 Like

Re: What To Do If Your Boss Is Incompetent by sakalisis(m): 7:20am On Nov 11, 2016

1 Like

Re: What To Do If Your Boss Is Incompetent by jeeqaa7(m): 7:20am On Nov 11, 2016
just quit the job because .............
Re: What To Do If Your Boss Is Incompetent by Ambi25: 7:21am On Nov 11, 2016
Nice one
Re: What To Do If Your Boss Is Incompetent by MilesLamar(m): 7:24am On Nov 11, 2016
true
Re: What To Do If Your Boss Is Incompetent by Wiseandtrue(f): 7:43am On Nov 11, 2016
ayodotcom:
Lemme kip quiet
I love the pishure that is exactly how a leader should lead- by example
Re: What To Do If Your Boss Is Incompetent by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 7:54am On Nov 11, 2016
My boss! Kai! Na wahala. He has been employing girls for a while now. There are more girls than guys in the company and I am not saying this to spite anyone but the company will run fine even if all the girls leave. He has cut my salary by 50% because the company 'has no funds' yet he is still recruiting dumb girls. I can't help him. He wants to employ all the girls in Lagos maybe.

1 Like

Re: What To Do If Your Boss Is Incompetent by mapet: 8:44am On Nov 11, 2016
Aikon:
hmm
1st law of power: NEVER OUTSHINE THE MASTER

Worrrrrrrrrrrdddddddddddd!!!!!!!!!!!

Back in my early days, I had once been burned and became wiser. Choi!!! My oga back then dealt with me....... I was saved by my talent and hardwork, when God used our director, who identified me as talented and put me in a newly formed department.

In this department, I had become wiser, played my cards pretty well, helped my new boss alot........he got reward while I was on the blind side, but I didn't mind, as I was enjoying my work and building my arsenal.

Today is another story........I think I do a piece on this some time
Re: What To Do If Your Boss Is Incompetent by DONFAITH: 9:34am On Nov 11, 2016
I am my own boss, don't work anybody. So I have no experience of bosses incompetency. Or do my boys or workers think am incompetent, maybe I should ask them.
Re: What To Do If Your Boss Is Incompetent by kw2six: 9:41am On Nov 11, 2016
You can simply advice him to go for training on leadership
Re: What To Do If Your Boss Is Incompetent by Nobody: 11:04am On Nov 11, 2016
In my case , I had to outshine the Boss ...

So sometimes you need to be smart with all dis olodo' /dumb boastful bosses. Life is a risk , don't hesitate to take risk ...Work out of the job if you think you can't cope

The most annonying is the incompetent ones that are arrogant and unwilling to learn from others
Re: What To Do If Your Boss Is Incompetent by Nobody: 11:44am On Nov 11, 2016
Sempumping:
In my case , I had to outshine the Boss ...

I Submitted my Resignation letter after 2weeks of resumption ,the CEO called me to ask what the problem was and I said "my Boss is incompetent ,unwilling to learn ,lacks etiquette, disrespectful, too bossy ...

And my people, that was how she started respecting me ooo ,Infact I was asked to stop reporting to her , I should report straight to the CEO ,i had my own secretary ,and many more

So sometimes you need to be smart with all dis olodo' /dumb boastful bosses. Life is a risk , don't hesitate to take risk ...Work out of the job if you think you can't cope

The most annonying is the incompetent ones that are arrogant and unwilling to learn from others

1 Like

Re: What To Do If Your Boss Is Incompetent by Nobody: 12:23pm On Nov 11, 2016
[quote author=Piiko post=50948646][/quote]

cheesy cheesy
Hard to believe huh!
Pray for favour so u 'll understand what I'm saying

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Are The Benefit Of ITIL Certification In Nigeria / Recession: Workers Await Review Of Minimum Wage / Is It True That Ladies Are Limited To Tailor And Hairdresser As Handwork?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.