Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,600 members, 7,809,179 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:19 AM

Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils (95226 Views)

..... The Importance Of Mobil1 Engine Oil / Can Mobil1 Annual Protection Motor Oil Truly Give 20,000Miles/1Yr Of Protection? / Mobil1 5W 30 Fully Synthetic Oil Problems. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (36) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by sooperrescue(m): 2:20am On Dec 14, 2016
Ikenna351:

I thought you even know something or little about Peugeot and their engines but this your post didn't even give room for that at all. I mean, it seems you have no clue whatsoever. Besides, you saying Peugeot cars are in extinction in Nigeria, including Peugeot 406, made me wondered if you actually live in Nigeria. Because if you really do, then know that that Nigeria didn't start and end in that state you live in. If I were a car dealer in Northern part of Nigeria, I would find that statement amusing.
Well, I really didn't and still do not want to change your perspective or your mission here, which seems more of negativity, but if you want to know my perspective, do this:
List out all the recommended engine oil brands and oil grades for the following Peugeot engines below:
1. XN engines.
2. Z engines.
3. XU engines.
4. TU engines.
5. EW engines (Including the 2 later EW engines).
6. THP engines.
7. DW engines.
8. HDI engines.
9. e-HDI engines.
10. VTi engines.
Etc.
Remember to also list out the Lion models with these engines, indicating that production years, to prove your case about the engine oils in them.
Also on each engine family, like EW engines, list out all EW engines, their production years and all engine oils recommended for them by Peugeot, like EW7J4, etc.
Or you can simply ignore all I posted above and carry on with your mission.
However, instead of criticizing Oil company A and B, what stops you from writing to them, explaining need for provision of specific oil grades you believed would serve the so called "modern engines" better? Better still, does it stop anyone or you importing those oil grades themselves and start making fortune from it? Aren't people bringing in Mobil engine oils and selling, even when they are available in Mobil stations in Nigeria?
Every subject has 2 sub-subjects: Positive and Negative. You either choose and focus on the positive sides of any subject you come across or choose and pushing against (negative). I believe some people reading this are realizing and focusing on business opportunities on this subject, rather than issues or criticism you seem to focus on.
Anyway, it called varieties. We can't all like or want same thing. I will just mind my own business. Carry on.
Ikenna, Lion King.

Oga Ikenna, I dont know much about the Peugeot, there is nothing to know that I believe I already dont know. All those engine types means nothing to this thread but the lubricant that the engines requires. I am not criticizing the local oil labels but trying to make them realize that motorists are now wiser. I have direct access with OANDO and TOTAL lubricants heads and we have been discussing the trend in the market especially OANDO and Forte. The major reason for this thread is to make us patronize our local oil labels. I have been buying Castrol and Mobil 1 USA and I was wondering why are we not buying local oil labels and we decided to investigate their claims. Forte oil lubricant manager was not willing to tell us more about the components of the Forte 10000 Synth. I called Mobil and they told me that the Lub guy is not in the office but he will get back to me. Total said that I should write the MD to obtain information from their Lub Manager. That said, I ran a lube bay with TOTAL in Zone 3, Abuja and so I worked on many Peugeot cars and also was privileged to service some of the vehicles of the Nigerian Customs service who were my neighbours. I remember that TOTAL were fidgeting about the 408, where they will get the oil to service the car and from the oil specifications of PSA Citroen, Q9000 cannot and is not suitable for use on newer Peugeot cars.
PSA Peugeot-Citroën Oil Specifications

Motor Oils

The French PSA group issued a set of oil specifications in 2009 in order to exercise greater control over the motor oils used in their vehicles. All specifications are based on ACEA specs but also require further conditions to be met.

PSA B71 2290
Peugeot/Citroën engine oil specification introduced in 2009. B71 2290 is a low-SAPS oil intended for engines with diesel particulate filters and with Euro 5 emission standards. General specifications are: ACEA C2 or C3 with additional PSA tests.
PSA B71 2294
Peugeot/Citroën engine oil specification introduced in 2009. Main specification: ACEA A3/B4 with additional PSA tests.
PSA B71 2295
Peugeot/Citroën engine oil standard for engine before MY 1998. General specification: ACEA A2/B2.
[b]PSA B71 2296
Peugeot/Citroën engine oil specification introduced in 2009. General specifications: ACEA A3/B4 + additional PSA tests.

The bolded is the oem specification for Total Q9000. The new generation of Peugeot cars uses the oil that TOTAL does not sell in Nigeria. Can you tell us which of the TOTAL oils has ACEA C2 or C3?

PSA B71 2312
Peugeot Citroën has developed B71 2312 standard for oils able to endure the most severe thermal constrains along with most modern after treatment systems compatibility. The PSA B71 2312 standard applies to all Peugeot and Citroën vehicles equipped with “BlueHDi” Diesel engines fitted with SCR (Selective Catalyst Reduction) allowing NOx (Nitrous oxides) treatment through the use of AdBlue® additive or so-called “diesel exhaust fluid”. The standard also requires improved cold flow properties to reduce hydrodynamic friction of the oil, in order to obtain fuel economy benefits especially when the oil is cold. This extra requirement for cold flow properties allows excellent oil flow at start up, faster oil pressure build up, faster revs raisings and faster operating temperature reach. This type of low viscosity lubricant allows fuel consumption reduction and therefore reduces greenhouse gases (CO2) emissions.
Where do you get your oil, Lion King? Is it Total or Esso?
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by anneki(m): 10:32pm On Dec 14, 2016
Chief,

Stay on track. i believe your mission is to create awareness and perhaps get enough momentum amongst users to force the local blenders to improve the quality of their products.

sooperrescue:

Funny though. I am stunned to tell that I was restricted from commenting on this thread for two days by the moderator. Anyway, let me face the LION KING.

1 Like

Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by sooperrescue(m): 4:01am On Dec 15, 2016
Thanks bros, that has been the intention but the ban that I have been facing is making me to believe that whoever is the moderator has sinister motives to be deleting my post every time I respond to the lion king. I will try it again and if it repeats itself, then I will know what to do.

1 Like

Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by sooperrescue(m): 4:14am On Dec 15, 2016
PSA Peugeot-Citroën Oil Specifications

Motor Oils

The French PSA group issued a set of oil specifications in 2009 in order to exercise greater control over the motor oils used in their vehicles. All specifications are based on ACEA specs but also require further conditions to be met.

PSA B71 2290
Peugeot/Citroën engine oil specification introduced in 2009. B71 2290 is a low-SAPS oil intended for engines with diesel particulate filters and with Euro 5 emission standards. General specifications are: ACEA C2 or C3 with additional PSA tests.
PSA B71 2294
Peugeot/Citroën engine oil specification introduced in 2009. Main specification: ACEA A3/B4 with additional PSA tests.
PSA B71 2295
Peugeot/Citroën engine oil standard for engine before MY 1998. General specification: ACEA A2/B2.
PSA B71 2296
Peugeot/Citroën engine oil specification introduced in 2009. General specifications: ACEA A3/B4 + additional PSA tests.

PSA B71 2312
Peugeot Citroën has developed B71 2312 standard for oils able to endure the most severe thermal constrains along with most modern after treatment systems compatibility. The PSA B71 2312 standard applies to all Peugeot and Citroën vehicles equipped with “BlueHDi” Diesel engines fitted with SCR (Selective Catalyst Reduction) allowing NOx (Nitrous oxides) treatment through the use of AdBlue® additive or so-called “diesel exhaust fluid”. The standard also requires improved cold flow properties to reduce hydrodynamic friction of the oil, in order to obtain fuel economy benefits especially when the oil is cold. This extra requirement for cold flow properties allows excellent oil flow at start up, faster oil pressure build up, faster revs raisings and faster operating temperature reach. This type of low viscosity lubricant allows fuel consumption reduction and therefore reduces greenhouse gases (CO2) emissions.
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by helpishere(m): 4:26am On Dec 15, 2016
Why will the moderator ban you? What are they hiding from us? Nairaland Cartalk do not have quality contributors anymore and yet they do this? Marpol must be high on Ethiopian chat

1 Like

Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by helpishere(m): 4:55am On Dec 15, 2016
http://catalog.lubricants.total.com/en/products/dh5/CLASSIC-C3-5W-40.
With due respect to the LION Guard or King, why does Total sell us Classic sae 40 and sell Classic 5w40 in other markets? This is the classic C that Peugeot recommends for their new vehicles. We dont have it here. Op, what choice do we have in these local oil labels? should we all go foreign? But Turkish oils are worse than our locals, what do we do? And Ikenna, the mobil 1 oil that is imported is not the same quality with the one sold in the local Mobil petrol stations across Nigeria. Haba, na you dey talk like this? My take on this thread is that it has opened the eyes of many motorists that these so called synthetic oils except for Oando are not good for our engines. Since Total does not have good lubricants for Peugeot engines, then start buying the Oando Oleum Syn in [b][/b]drums . It has the C3 qualities.

2 Likes

Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by sooperrescue(m): 4:20pm On Dec 15, 2016
Helpishere, thanks for making them lift the ban and restoring my post. Maybe the Ethiopian chat don finish. Like you rightly pointed out, Total does not have the right oil for even Peugeot cars that people are made to believe it is only Total oil or no oil.That said, we need to end the impunity in the industry. I spoke to the Forte lube Manager to withdraw Super Visco Static which is an API SG and which is obsolete or put a caveat on the gallon that this oil is not suitable for modern engines. He said it is not possible. That there are many older vehicles still in circulation and they use the oil but API states that the current oil can work perfectly with an older engine, so why produce SG and SL and sell both without telling us which vehicle will use the oil.

1 Like

Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by anneki(m): 10:30am On Dec 18, 2016
@sooperrescue

Have you researched on what differentiates API SN oils from API SG oils in chemical terms ? Pay particular attention to Zinc and Phosphorus. You need to do this so that you do not waste time asking for the impossible from people whose hands are tied.

1 Like

Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by sooperrescue(m): 12:16am On Dec 19, 2016
http://www.api.org/certification-programs/engine-oil-diesel-exhaust-fluid/~/media/files/certification/engine-oil-diesel/publications/mom_guide_english_2013.pdf

You need to do this so that you do not waste time asking for the impossible from people whose hands are tied.

I have been laughing all day and it was amusing to be laughing. Thanks. If his hands are tied, he should resign and be loosed from his conscience. Selling Super Visco Static which is SG and obsolete and Super Visco 2000 which is an SL which is still current baffles me. Why cant Forte oil withdraw the SG to save the motorists the anguish of failed engines. In their greedy mind, they believe that they are making car maintenance affordable by offering oils classified as obsolete to our teeming motorists. I have not done any research on any oil and so wont be able to tell but from constant usage and reading about the oil trends, if you say your product is API SG and API says that oil is obsolete, there is no need to sell the oil. If Forte is still selling SG oil, then we should be mindful of the Visco 2000 which they claim is SL. If they can proudly sell API SG in 2016, then they can as well falsify the SL on Visco 2000. I went to Lanre Badmus in 2006 to ask about their Holts ATF. Their works director told me that I should take the oil as Dexron 2. Nothing to back it up. I went in pursuit of all the white can atf packagers and they were evasive. I went to Coscharis in the same 2006 asking why they should be bringing Abro Type A. They took me to their warehouse and claimed that itwas the popular demand for Abro that makes them import the fluid. It was the period they were also importing and selling the famous Jaguar used bikes (Okada). Now you see Abro with Dexron/Mercon sticker on the can. For me I believe it is the same fluid that is type A but the label has been changed. So it is with Super Visco 2000. If Forte oil can sell Super Static which according to API, is obsolete, and they sell Forte 10000 synth which is suitable for BMW LL01 which is API SJ while claiming to be SN and with OEM approval for General motors Diesel cars and not approved for GM gasoline cars, then their famous Visco 2000 which is API SL, that has destroyed many Honda transmissions is fake. It is not an SL. IF they can claim that their Visco 2000 is SL, let them tell us why are they selling synthetic oil that caters for only diesel brands of GM and not the Gasoline cars and why are they still selling an API classified obsolete oil? We want to know why, so that the Lub Manager for forte oil should be set free......
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by sooperrescue(m): 3:38am On Dec 21, 2016
I have been receiving phone calls from Nigerian Motorists concerning the choice of engine oils solutions for their cars. It seems a lot of motorists are hurting over the noises emanating from their engines due to their use of the local oils. I dont have any oil that I can recommend right now except if Oando reverts to selling their synthetic oil in drums, or if Total introduces their latest oils sold in other markets to our motorists in the country. As for Forte oil, it is not advisable until they explain to us their oem approvals, their reason for selling obsolete oils. It is not only Forte that does that, Oando, Conoil, Total does the same too. I believe that if these oil packagers are selling API classified obsolete oils, then their so called current SN should be investigated. I was at the Olowu market in Ikeja today and all we see on the shelves of the shops are obsolete oils which mechanics and motorists buy with the belief that it must be good. In this Buhari recession, companies are selling obsolete oils to Nigerians and the Government is doing nothing about it. We shall soon focus on Mobil 1, the 0w40 and the 5w30 and see what they have to offer. But in the meantime, check the labels on the gallon of the oil that you want to put in your engine and read what they are claiming. In the medical parlance, you wont buy drugs meant for typhoid and treat your pneumonia symptoms. It is the same that we are facing right now in the automobile industry. Read well before use. Merry Christmas to all and have a safe trip this week. If you have a breakdown on the road, dont destroy your car the more by using adulterated oils on the road. Service your car with good quality oils and ensure that your tyres are temperature A rated and that you dont have any S rated tyre on your car. Please check before travelling..........

1 Like

Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by connkg(m): 8:19pm On Dec 21, 2016
@sooperrescue, anneki

Please say something about this "new" brand, Pertamina Fastron Gold 5W30. It hit the market and I cannot recall what spec was on the (mostly green) label.
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by sooperrescue(m): 9:47pm On Dec 21, 2016
The oil is having the same characteristics like Oando Syn but we dont know if it is genuine. You cant have three ACEA certifications on one particular oil.

PERFORMANCE LEVEL
FASTRON GOLD SAE 5W-30 has an International
quality level of API SN/CF, ACEA C3-08, A3/B3-08,
A3/B4-08
, Mercedes Benz Sheet 229.51, BMW Long
Life 04, VW 502 00/505 00, and Porsche. .
Where do we classify the oil?
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by connkg(m): 2:59pm On Dec 22, 2016
I tracked it down...

Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by sooperrescue(m): 8:18pm On Dec 22, 2016
The one on the picture is Api sm which is also Ilsac 4 which according to Ilsac is no longer current. The one that I posted was an Sn but with 3 different Acea certifications and which is not ilsac 5. If your car is less that 2008 MY, and it is not those that requires serious oils, then go for it. But the question is, which car are you going to put the oil in?

1 Like

Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by medacares: 8:25pm On Dec 23, 2016
sooperrescue:

That is good to know. We are not talking about the suitability of the oil for your model of car, we are talking about their claims. The Oando SYN that I used in drums was not the same that I used and stopped using in 2015 in gallons. That is the issue about the oil. For a 1999 car, API recommends that the current oil is able to render full protection to an older engine. We used it in a 2007 Toyota Camry and the oil dried up completely. The owner of that Camry is online and can testify. No leakage, just dried up and he later used a conventional oil.

Pls I need this info urgently.
Pls. What is the best engine oil to use for my Toyota Camry 2008. 5w20
Pls help me with the brand and where I can get the oil in Abuja.
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by sooperrescue(m): 8:33pm On Dec 23, 2016
Get in touch with autotrader 2. He sells Toyota engine oils
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by medacares: 8:43pm On Dec 23, 2016
sooperrescue:
Get in touch with autotrader 2. He sells Toyota engine oils

Pls I don't know who auto trader is
Is there a link to how I can location him.
Or a hint ?
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by sooperrescue(m): 9:30pm On Dec 23, 2016
Nairaland.com/autotrader2posts on google
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by medacares: 3:10am On Dec 24, 2016
sooperrescue:
Nairaland.com/autotrader2posts on google

Thanks and God bless.

1 Like

Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by autotrader2: 8:05am On Dec 24, 2016
medacares:

Pls I don't know who auto trader is
Is there a link to how I can location him.
Or a hint ?

Autotrader2 here grin. You can reach me at 09086679585.
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by helpishere(m): 1:50am On Dec 26, 2016
Sooperrescue,
Can you tell us why we should boycott Nigerian oil labels? And help Lion king to source for better oil for his lions in the Zoo. I have not seen any young man buying Peugeot cars brand new. Either he was given by Government or by someone who want to punish him by giving him the Peugeot car government gave that donor. Which oil is good? Oando Synthetic in drums? How do you know that the Oleum Syn quality in gallons are breached?
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by visionforit(m): 3:09pm On Dec 26, 2016
Nice and informative, please keep it up
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by lipman1122: 6:39pm On Dec 26, 2016
No time to write stories in comment today. Just to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year in advance. Ojasweb Digital Solution wishes you all a joyous celebration.

1 Like

Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by symbianDON(m): 9:39am On Dec 27, 2016
this thread is super informative; thanks superrescue! I have always used quartz 9000 but I'm switching to mobil 1 right away. it's really worrisome that we have a standards organization that does absolutely nothing! why are motorists been shortchanged if not for the uselessness of SON? thank God people are getting more enlightened by the day.

3 Likes

Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by sooperrescue(m): 4:27am On Dec 28, 2016
SON are doing their best according to one of their top guns. It used to be worse than this. They told me to try and visit Oil Marketers blending plants and you will begin to sing the lamentation of Sodom. He claimed that the SON sticker on the gallons are just signs that they registered the oil and not that the certification was approved. They do not even have a laboratory to conduct such tests and so the beat goes on. The local oil labels know what they are doing and it is a shame that it is Nigerians that are in charge and doing this abominable acts against the country. But when you see the other actions, like adjusting the meters in the evenings and paying their fuel attendants 10,000 a month as salary, then it is an all round cheating arrangement. There used to be a time when Q7000 label was being swapped on a Q5000 Total gallon until we caught them. I once bought 95 litres in my Range Sport at a Forte oil Station at the Local Airport and when I shouted, they quickly begged me to pay what I have and I paid N5000. 95 litres in a Range that takes 80 litres and I came down and saw that the meter was zero when they started dispensing and I was waiting for the automatic to cut off and it never did. On many occasions in TOTAL at Toyin in Ikeja, they doctor the meter in the evening and restore it by 10 am the next day. I have warned them on these occasions to stop it and I think every motorist should be vigilant and don't allow these cheats to ruin our mobile investment. They cheat on the fuel that is being dispensed and cheat on the oil quality that they sell. They make claims that are not and make motorists lose their time and money over their activities. These are economic crimes against Nigerians and I call on the CPC who are viewing this topic to act now. After the Mobil 1 claims verification, we shall look at the foreign oils being dumped into the country. I saw one 5w30 Yesterday which was an SN but it was written that it is only suitable for smaller engines, like Kia Rio and it is selling well and the mechanics and motorists are not reading the label where it is stated that it is only suitable for smaller engines, 1.4 litre to 1.8 litre engines. Read the label on the gallon of oil that your mechanic is putting in your car. Most Motorists even buy these cheap oils and claim that that is what their money can afford. It is enough. Good conventional oils last for 3 months and anything above that, it turns to gel. Oando SM last for two months and anything above that, na you know. Happy New Year in advance.
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by sooperrescue(m): 9:38pm On Dec 29, 2016
Mobil special 20w50 made in Nigeria is Api SF. Obsolete. Beware.

Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by nickxtra(m): 3:24pm On Dec 30, 2016
sooperrescue:
[size=8pt]WHICH OIL IS RIGHT FOR YOU?

MotorOilMatters.org
The API Certification Mark,also known as the “Starburst”

An oil displaying this mark meets the current engine protection standard and fuel economy requirements of the International Lubricant Specification Advisory Committee (ILSAC), a joint effort of U.S. and Japanese automobile manufacturers. Automobile manufacturers recommend oils that carry the API Certification Mark. See the ILSAC STANDARD FOR PASSENGER
CAR ENGINE OILS chart on the next page for descriptions of current and obsolete ILSAC standards.

The API Service Symbol, also known as the “Donut”
1. Performance Level
Motor oils designed for cars, vans, and light trucks with gasoline engines fall under API’s “S” (Service) categories. Motor oils designed for heavydutytrucks and vehicles with diesel engines fall under API’s “C” (Commercial) categories. Please see the Gasoline Engines and Diesel
Engines charts on the next pages for descriptions of current andobsolete API service categories.
2. Viscosity Grade
The measure of an oil’s ability to flow at certain temperatures. Vehicle requirements may vary. Follow your vehicle manufacturer’s
recommendations on SAE oil viscosity.
3. Resource Conserving and Energy Conserving
These designations apply to oils intended for gasoline-engine cars, vans,and light trucks. Widespread use of “Resource Conserving” or “Energy
Conserving” oils may result in an overall savings of fuel in the vehicle fleet as a whole.
4. Multiple Performance Levels
Oils designed for diesel engine service might also meet gasoline engine service. For these oils the designation is “C” category first followed by
the “S” category. “C” category oils have been formulated primarily for diesel engines and may not provide all of the performance requirements
consistent with vehicle manufacturers’ recommendations for gasoline fueled engines.
5. The API Service Symbol with CI-4 Plus
The “CI-4 PLUS” designation identifies oils formulated to provide a higher level of protection against soot-related viscosity increase and viscosity
loss due to shear in diesel engines. When originally introduced, CI-4 PLUS identified CI-4 oils meeting a higher level of performance. CJ-4 oils
include all CI-4 PLUS performance requirements. CI-4 PLUS appears in the lower portion of the API Service Symbol “Donut.”
GET MORE FROM YOUR MOTOR OIL.
Follow your vehicle manufacturer’s oil change recommendations. This includes using recommended SAE oil viscosity and ILSAC or API performance standard. If you find it necessary to mix brands of oil, use same viscosity grade and API service category to maintain performance.
Ask for API licensed oil whenever you have your oil changed.
Look for API Certification Marks every time you buy motor oil. For more information visit MotorOilMatters.org. Learn about chemical additives in motor oil at AmericanChemistry.com

API’s Certification Mark and Service
Symbol identify quality motor oils for gasoline and diesel-powered vehicles. Oils displaying these marks meet performance requirements set by U.S. and international vehicle and engine manufacturers and the lubricant industry. More than 500 companies worldwide participate in this voluntary program, which is backed by a marketplace sampling and testing program.

ILSAC STANDARD FOR PASSENGER CAR ENGINE OILS
Name Status Service

GF-5 Current Introduced in October 2010, designed to provide improved high temperature deposit protection for pistons and
turbochargers, more stringent sludge control, improved fuel economy, enhanced emission control system compatibility,
seal compatibility, and protection of engines operating on ethanol-containing fuels up to E85.
GF-4 Obsolete Use GF-5 where GF-4 is recommended.
GF-3 Obsolete Use GF-5 where GF-3 is recommended.
GF-2 Obsolete Use GF-5 where GF-2 is recommended.
GF-1 Obsolete Use GF-5 where GF-1 is recommended.
GASOLINE ENGINES (Follow your vehicle manufacturer’s recommendations on oil performance levels)
Category Status Service
SN Current Introduced in October 2010, designed to provide improved high temperature deposit protection for pistons, more
stringent sludge control, and seal compatibility. API SN with Resource Conserving matches ILSAC GF-5 by combining
API SN performance with improved fuel economy, turbocharger protection, emission control system compatibility, and
protection of engines operating on ethanol-containing fuels up to E85.
SM Current For 2010 and older automotive engines.
SL Current For 2004 and older automotive engines.
SJ Current For 2001 and older automotive engines.
SH Obsolete OBSOLETE: For 1996 and older automotive engines.
SG Obsolete CAUTION: Not suitable for use in most gasoline-powered automotive engines built after 1993. May not provide
adequate protection against build-up of engine sludge, oxidation, or wear.
SF Obsolete CAUTION: Not suitable for use in most gasoline-powered automotive engines built after 1988. May not provide
adequate protection against build-up of engine sludge.
SE Obsolete CAUTION: Not suitable for use in most gasoline-powered automotive engines built after 1979.
SD Obsolete CAUTION: Not suitable for use in most gasoline-powered automotive engines built after 1971. Use in more modern
engines may cause unsatisfactory performance or equipment harm.
SC Obsolete CAUTION: Not suitable for use in most gasoline-powered automotive engines built after 1967. Use in more modern
engines may cause unsatisfactory performance or equipment harm.
SB Obsolete CAUTION: Not suitable for use in most gasoline-powered automotive engines built after 1951. Use in more
modern engines may cause unsatisfactory performance or equipment harm.
SA Obsolete CAUTION: Contains no additives. Not suitable for use in most gasoline-powered automotive engines built after 1930.
Use in modern engines may cause unsatisfactory performance or equipment harm.
The current and previous ILSAC standards and API Service Categories are listed here. Vehicle owners should refer to their owner’s manuals before
consulting these charts. Oils may have more than one performance level.
For automotive gasoline engines, the latest ILSAC standard or API Service Category includes the performance properties of each earlier category and can be used to service older engines where earlier category oils were recommended.
Engine Oil Licensing and Certification System | 1220 L Street, NW | Washington, DC 20005-4070 | USA | Telephone: 202-682-8516 | Email: eolcs@api.org | www.api.org/eolcs

Copyright 2013 – American Petroleum Institute, all rights reserved. API, the API logo, the Motor Oil Matters Seal, the API Service Symbol (Donut), the API Service Symbol with CI-4 PLUS logo, the API Certification Mark (Starburst), and the
“Mom Knows Best” and “Motor Oil Matters” phrases are either trademarks or registered trademarks of API in the United States and/or other countries. API GIS Creative: 2013-072 | 06.13 | PDF

Multigrade oils such as SAE 5W-30 and 10W-30 are widely used because, under all but extremely hot or cold conditions, they are thin enough to flow at low temperatures and thick enough to perform satisfactorily at high temperatures. Note that vehicle requirements may vary. Follow your vehicle manufacturer’s recommendations on SAE oil viscosity grade.
If lowest expected outdoor temperature is 0°C (32°F) –18°C (0°F) Below –18°C (0°F)
DIESEL ENGINES (Follow your vehicle manufacturer’s recommendations on oil performance levels)
Category Status Service
CJ-4 Current For high-speed four-stroke cycle diesel engines designed to meet 2010 model year on-highway and Tier 4 nonroad
exhaust emission standards as well as for previous model year diesel engines. These oils are formulated for use in all
applications with diesel fuels ranging in sulfur content up to 500 ppm (0.05% by weight). However, the use of these oils
with greater than 15 ppm (0.0015% by weight) sulfur fuel may impact exhaust aftertreatment system durability and/or
drain interval. CJ-4 oils are especially effective at sustaining emission control system durability where particulate filters
and other advanced aftertreatment systems are used. Optimum protection is provided for control of catalyst poisoning,
particulate filter blocking, engine wear, piston deposits, low- and high-temperature stability, soot handling properties,
oxidative thickening, foaming, and viscosity loss due to shear. API CJ-4 oils exceed the performance criteria of API CI-4
with CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4, CG-4 and CF-4 and can effectively lubricate engines calling for those API Service Categories.
When using CJ-4 oil with higher than 15 ppm sulfur fuel, consult the engine manufacturer for service interval.
CI-4 Current Introduced in 2002. For high-speed, four-stroke engines designed to meet 2004 exhaust emission standards implemented
in 2002. CI-4 oils are formulated to sustain engine durability where exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) is used and are
intended for use with diesel fuels ranging in sulfur content up to 0.5% weight. Can be used in place of CD, CE, CF-4,
CG-4, and CH-4 oils. Some CI-4 oils may also qualify for the CI-4 PLUS designation.
CH-4 Current Introduced in 1998. For high-speed, four-stroke engines designed to meet 1998 exhaust emission standards. CH-4 oils
are specifically compounded for use with diesel fuels ranging in sulfur content up to 0.5% weight. Can be used in place
of CD, CE, CF-4, and CG-4 oils.
CG-4 Obsolete OBSOLETE: Introduced in 1995. For severe duty, high-speed, four-stroke engines using fuel with less than 0.5% weight
sulfur. CG-4 oils are required for engines meeting 1994 emission standards. Can be used in place of CD, CE,
and CF-4 oils.
CF-4 Obsolete OBSOLETE: Introduced in 1990. For high-speed, four-stroke, naturally aspirated and turbocharged engines. Can be used
in place of CD and CE oils.
CF-2 Obsolete OBSOLETE: Introduced in 1994. For severe duty, two-stroke-cycle engines. Can be used in place of CD-II oils.
CF Obsolete OBSOLETE: Introduced in 1994. For off-road, indirect-injected and other diesel engines including those using fuel with
over 0.5% weight sulfur. Can be used in place of CD oils.
CE Obsolete CAUTION: Not suitable for use in most diesel-powered automotive engines built after 1994.
CD-II Obsolete CAUTION: Not suitable for use in most diesel-powered automotive engines built after 1994.
CD Obsolete CAUTION: Not suitable for use in most diesel-powered automotive engines built after 1994.
CC Obsolete CAUTION: Not suitable for use in most diesel-powered engines built after 1990.
CB Obsolete CAUTION: Not suitable for use in most diesel-powered engines built after 1961.
CA Obsolete CAUTION: Not suitable for use in most diesel-powered engines built after 1959.
SAE VISCOSITY GRADES: PASSENGER CAR MOTOR OIL
Typical SAE viscosity grades for passenger cars
0W-20, 0W-30, 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30, 10W-40, 20W-50
0W-20, 0W-30, 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30, 10W-40
0W-20, 0W-30, 5W-20, 5W-30
What of 5W-40?
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by sooperrescue(m): 9:44pm On Dec 30, 2016
That is a good question. I have not seen any car manufacturer that recommends 5 w 40 for their cars. 5 w40 is majorly for those oil companies to make oils that can protect the engine above 50 degrees but when you have a 5w 30 that can exceed 50 degrees, or 5 w 20 that can exceed 50 degrees, you have gotten a better oil. The oil primary task is to lubricate the engine and take away the heat from the engine and keep it cool. It is assisted by oil coolant which is attached to the oil filter to keep the engine temperature down. But when the 5w40 cannot protect the engine, eliminate sludge and keep it cool, then you should be wary of the oil. Honda cars require 0w20 nowadays and motorists don't bother to use the grade of oil. That oil grade must be of high quality.
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by helpishere(m): 11:54pm On Jan 08, 2017
Sooperrescue, what about the Mobil update

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (36) (Reply)

The Best Of IVM Motors (Innoson Motors) / I Finally Bought The Car I Went To Lagos To Buy. Now In PH With The Car / David Baka Designs Logo For Innoson Vehicles, Nigerians React

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.