Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,760 members, 7,817,102 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:38 AM

Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils - Car Talk (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils (95571 Views)

..... The Importance Of Mobil1 Engine Oil / Can Mobil1 Annual Protection Motor Oil Truly Give 20,000Miles/1Yr Of Protection? / Mobil1 5W 30 Fully Synthetic Oil Problems. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (36) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by dru23(m): 11:26am On Apr 21, 2018
sooperrescue:
The one we are importing is Castrol extended performance 5w30, 5w20 and 0w20. All members get 4 gallons each for one full year service. And it is twice the price of your castrol. Is the csstrol magnatec or which?

This is the castrol am bringing in. It is 5quarts and it is 5w30

Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by sooperrescue(m): 8:08pm On Apr 21, 2018
dru23:

Good, very good. Add 5w20 and 0w20. These are the current oil and the demand is high.
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by fleksy: 8:58pm On Apr 21, 2018
For all your car mechanical challenges....call me on 08025438389

I offer free consultation. I value helping people and providing solutions.that call would save you a lot cost-wise before repairs

I am based in Gbagada Lagos.
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by VolvoS60(m): 9:00pm On Apr 21, 2018
dru23:

^^^^
Any difference between your stuff and the stuff sold by eterna in Nigeria? Things like API, ILSAC ratings?
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by sooperrescue(m): 10:00pm On Apr 21, 2018
VolvoS60:

^^^^
Any difference between your stuff and the stuff sold by eterna in Nigeria? Things like API, ILSAC ratings?

There is. Eterna magnatec is api sm ilsac 4. That is the old but current oil. The new one direct from the US is Api sn ilsac 5. That is why I said these local oil companies dont like the motorists. Imagine Oando producing in 2018, 5w30, when the oldest car that requires 5w30 is 2009 range rovers and some Evoques. So when will they produce oil for 2009 Camry that requires 5w20 and 0w20? 15 year from now?
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by dollarnaira: 11:27pm On Apr 21, 2018
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by sooperrescue(m): 4:25am On Apr 22, 2018
dollarnaira:
https://www.rymax-lubricants.com/news/api-specification-this-is-how-it-works/

For best understanding of Engine oil.
From your first post and this, it is obvious that you have gone into research to understand the dynamics. If the producers of noddles did not do their research very well, we will not have various brands competing for the attention of the children and adults alike. Likewise our oil companies. Api sj is still current. Honda baby boy requires that for their v6. But as far back as 2005, visco 2000 was being used both as engine and gear oil and it was 20w50. Did you ever hear AP giving out notices advising mechanics not to use the oil for their gearbox or even engines? Because a car that requires 5w20 sj as at 1999 should have better options to choose from. There was only sae 40 and 20w50 and Mobil 1 0w40 for all our cars then. That was why a lot of cars have gone into extinction. When Vw Bora and Passat were the inthing, which oil and fuel was available? 20w50 and Mobil 1 along with leaded fuel. Was the oil and fuel suitable for them? Not at all and so they disappeared from the road. The battle continues

1 Like

Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by oluwaseunla(m): 4:34am On Apr 22, 2018
dru23:

Ha with full synethic oil u can do more than 3k miles before changing now . My guess will be maybe 5k to 7k ... my guest

That quote wasn't for full synthetic oil. It's for mineral oil.
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by dru23(m): 5:58am On Apr 22, 2018
oluwaseunla:

That quote wasn't for full synthetic oil. It's for mineral oil.

Ha I fear small
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by dru23(m): 6:11am On Apr 22, 2018
VolvoS60:

^^^^

I believe the expert on engine has reply you.. My own take is that anything made in Nigeria are made with low quality.. Quality control is not well enforce in the county... the Yankee stuff has more quality control and no company in Yankee wants to get sue.. Trust me people in the states are looking to sue companies for false advertisment or false claims ... that is the difference between Yankee and the ones sold in Nigeria.. It boils down to quality control.. Even the China made product coming into the USA are quality control... they enforce the basic standards of goods coming in ...

1 Like

Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by sooperrescue(m): 8:05am On Apr 22, 2018
dru23:

I believe the expert on engine has reply you.. My own take is that anything made in Nigeria are made with low quality.. Quality control is not well enforce in the county... the Yankee stuff has more quality control and no company in Yankee wants to get sue.. Trust me people in the states are looking to sue companies for false advertisment or false claims ... that is the difference between Yankee and the ones sold in Nigeria.. It boils down to quality control.. Even the China made product coming into the USA are quality control... they enforce the basic standards of goods coming in ...
It is actually also as a result of poor standards. Standard organisation of Nigeria's minimum benchmark is Api sd and you will be shocked that there are api sd oils produced in Nigeria. That is where the problem lies.
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by autotrader2: 9:12am On Apr 22, 2018
sooperrescue:

There is. Eterna magnatec is api sm ilsac 4. That is the old but current oil. The new one direct from the US is Api sn ilsac 5. That is why I said these local oil companies dont like the motorists. Imagine Oando producing in 2018, 5w30, when the oldest car that requires 5w30 is 2009 range rovers and some Evoques. So when will they produce oil for 2009 Camry that requires 5w20 and 0w20? 15 year from now?

Genuine Toyota Motor Oil 5w20 wink

SN ILSAC 5 Rated

Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by sooperrescue(m): 12:40pm On Apr 22, 2018
Thanks Bros. If not for you and other guys, we would have been buying new engines every month with the obsolete oils produced by these group of businessmen.
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by VolvoS60(m): 9:05pm On Apr 22, 2018
sooperrescue:

^^^^
The (5W 30) Magnatec sold by Eterna is rated SN & ILSAC 4. I bought yesterday. The label says the oil is made in the EU and is 'full synthetic'. The meaning of 'full synthetic' varies considerably and is the subject of many heated debates so I won't go into that now. If the API rating on this oil is indeed genuine then it should be adequate for my use.

Not all Camrys insist on 5W 20 or 0W 20 oils. Believe it or not, 2012 Camrys sold here actually permit the use of 20W 50 oils among others.
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by sooperrescue(m): 9:19pm On Apr 22, 2018
VolvoS60:

^^^^
The (5W 30) Magnatec sold by Eterna is rated SN & ILSAC 4. I bought yesterday. The label says the oil is made in the EU and is 'full synthetic'. The meaning of 'full synthetic' varies considerably and is the subject of many heated debates so I won't go into that now. If the API rating on this oil is indeed genuine then it should be adequate for my use.

Not all Camrys insist on 5W 20 or 0W 20 oils. Believe it or not, 2012 Camrys sold here actually permit the use of 20W 50 oils among others.
Hmmm. Believe them at your engine's peril. All the Castrol from the US caries the label Api sn and ilsac 5. According to ilsac, the number 5 supercedes number 4. If Api sn is current from 2010 and ilsac 5 too, where then is ilsac 4? Toyota from 2012 stated that 0w20 is an all weather oil and they placed 20w50 as the last in a worst case scenario. So you use the last choice instead of the first choice. An api sl?
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by VolvoS60(m): 9:53pm On Apr 22, 2018
sooperrescue:

Hmmm. Believe them at your engine's peril. All the Castrol from the US caries the label Api sn and ilsac 5. According to ilsac, the number 5 supercedes number 4. If Api sn is current from 2010 and ilsac 5 too, where then is ilsac 4? Toyota from 2012 stated that 0w20 is an all weather oil and they placed 20w50 as the last in a worst case scenario. So you use the last choice instead of the first choice. An api sl?

^^^^
Interesting.

Have you considered the Castrol oil sold here by Eterna may/may not have anything to do with the US market? It is also very possible for an oil to be rated SN and ILSAC 4 and yet another could be SN and ILSAC 5. The rating systems are independent. The same oil I bought has a good ACEA rating but I don't have the oil at hand to give the specifics. (I am assuming here that the labeling is not misleading/fraudulent in any way).

That Toyota "placed 20W 50 as the last in a worst case scenario" is news to me. The Camry I mentioned earlier was bought new here in 2012. The owners manual clearly states on page 590 that several oil viscosity ratings are permitted and they are listed in no particular order. On the same page, owners are told that oils with viscosities of 15W/40 and 20W/50 may be used as long as they are of API SL or SM grade. The manual only recommends the use of 5W/30 oil in extremely low temperatures (and of course that doesn't apply to us here in Nigeria). The same manual also recommends the use of "ILSAC multigrade oil" but no mention is made of the ILSAC rating allowable. undecided

A lot of unclear stuff there...
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by sooperrescue(m): 10:25pm On Apr 22, 2018
Please post that Toyota information here before I can concur. Like you stated concerning Eterna's Castrol, if they decide to source from South Africa, how does that help our auto industry? How many cars did Toyota sell every year? Is it up to 10000? Nigeria is 90% US specs and if we are bringing oil to sell in Nigeria, is it for SA market or US market? The manual that you are talking about is the modified one for Toyota Nigeria Limited. Check out the US spec and see if it is the same information that the two specs share. And also note that the Toyotas from Dubai and SA requires unleaded premium fuel. So two issues affecting other high compression cars is now taking shape with Toyotas. Fuel and oil. Wetin don pursue vw,bmw,rangerover,benz,acura,nissan away from our roads is now happening to Toyota.
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by Nobody: 10:45pm On Apr 22, 2018
According to user manual, 2012 Toyota Corolla bought in Nigeria should use :

0w-20

You can use 5w-20 or 5w-30 if 0w-20 isn’t available.

But you need to change back to 0w-20 at your next oil change.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by sooperrescue(m): 11:28pm On Apr 22, 2018
TheCar:
According to user manual, 2012 Toyota Corolla bought in Nigeria should use :

0w-20

You can use 5w-20 or 5w-30 if 0w-20 isn’t available.

But you need to change back to 0w-20 at your next oil change.

Thanks bros. You have nailed the big puzzle. So therein lies the big question. Why is Elizade using 20w50 API SL in their workshops for Toyota cars?
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by Nobody: 6:40am On Apr 23, 2018
sooperrescue:

Thanks bros. You have nailed the big puzzle. So therein lies the big question. Why is Elizade using 20w50 API SL in their workshops for Toyota cars?

Maybe there is a conspiracy theory. If the car you sold said use 0w-20 in the car manual, the same manual you supplied when you sell the car and you are doing something else, well they need to do some enlightenment.

Except their mechanic and technician are living in the past in their past glories or they are intentionally doing it for profit purposes.

1 Like

Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by sooperrescue(m): 7:15am On Apr 23, 2018
[quote author=TheCar post=66949217]

Maybe there is a conspiracy theory. If the car you sold said use 0w-20 in the car manual, the same manual you supplied when you sell the car and you are doing something else, well they need to do some enlightenment.

Except their mechanic and technician are living in the past in their past glories or they are intentionally doing it for profit purposes.
That has been my suspicion. I believe that they want the car to die quickly in order for the companies to buy more. When you look at it, 3 years on the road, the car is very old and looking wornout and then you see the same year from the US and everything is brand new. The need to sell the old stock fast might be the cause of this deceit because the bonded warehouse of Toyota Nigeria at Oregun is filled to capacity and unless the ones on the road fades away fast, no one will ask for more.
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by VolvoS60(m): 10:08am On Apr 23, 2018
sooperrescue:
Please post that Toyota information here before I can concur. Like you stated concerning Eterna's Castrol, if they decide to source from South Africa, how does that help our auto industry? How many cars did Toyota sell every year? Is it up to 10000? Nigeria is 90% US specs and if we are bringing oil to sell in Nigeria, is it for SA market or US market? The manual that you are talking about is the modified one for Toyota Nigeria Limited. Check out the US spec and see if it is the same information that the two specs share. And also note that the Toyotas from Dubai and SA requires unleaded premium fuel. So two issues affecting other high compression cars is now taking shape with Toyotas. Fuel and oil. Wetin don pursue vw,bmw,rangerover,benz,acura,nissan away from our roads is now happening to Toyota.

^^^^
I uploaded a scan of the Camry manual on this thread a while ago:

https://www.nairaland.com/4141005/need-type-mobile-oil-use#61921442

On this thread I have made just a couple of observations:

1. If indeed the labeling on Eterna's Castrol Magnatec is true, then it is adequate for my needs. It also meets A1/B1, A5/B5 standards.

2. As my uploaded scan will confirm, Toyota still allows the use of 20W/50 oil in its cars sold as recently as 2011/2012 . Whether they are right to do so is another argument entirely - if Toyota dealers and distributors here in Nigeria choose to sell cars of a spec different from US spec, there isn't much consumers can do is there?
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by justfash50: 10:21am On Apr 23, 2018
Good Information guys,

Please which ordinary or synthetic oil should i use for my bmw x3 drive 2012?

i use mobil 1 5 w 40

Thanks in advance.
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by sooperrescue(m): 10:31am On Apr 23, 2018
I guess you were given the answer to this oil issue on that thread. Is Castrol magnatec an A1/B1 or A5/B5? Have you seen any Api SN that is ilsac 4? And when you said that it was made in the EU, I laughed. Where is EU? One day someone will produce a product and termed it made in Ecowas. You nor go run?
I dont see why we cant do anything about the poor choice of dealers. Boycott the dealer brand and those that sell the oil. Simple

VolvoS60:

^^^^
I uploaded a scan of the Camry manual on this thread a while ago:

https://www.nairaland.com/4141005/need-type-mobile-oil-use#61921442

On this thread I have made just a couple of observations:

1. If indeed the labeling on Eterna's Castrol Magnatec is true, then it is adequate for my needs. It also meets A1/B1, A5/B5 standards.

2. As my uploaded scan will confirm, Toyota still allows the use of 20W/50 oil in its cars sold as recently as 2011/2012 . Whether they are right to do so is another argument entirely - if Toyota dealers and distributors here in Nigeria choose to sell cars of a spec different from US spec, there isn't much consumers can do is there?
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by sooperrescue(m): 10:34am On Apr 23, 2018
justfash50:
Good Information guys,

Please which ordinary or synthetic oil should i use for my bmw x3 drive 2012?

i use mobil 1 5 w 40

Thanks in advance.
Therr is nothing like Mobil 1 5w40 but I will advise that you check the oil filler cap and then you will see Castrol written on it and your manual will tell you more.
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by Jazzlite: 10:45am On Apr 23, 2018
sooperrescue:

Therr is nothing like Mobil 1 5w40 but I will advise that you check the oil filler cap and then you will see Castrol written on it and your manual will tell you more.
Mobil One 5W40? When did you eradicate it?

1 Like

Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by dru23(m): 11:16am On Apr 23, 2018
TheCar:

The bottom line whether to use certain type of oil or not to.. We need to follow the manufacture reccomdation. The engine specific should either be in the car manual or on the oil cap.
The issue in Nigeria now just like everything else. How do you get the original oil to use ,and how do avoid buying fake or alter oil. You just have to do your research and look for people that import the original stuff. Buy from them and if you can buy extra and keep aside.. That is if you afford to do it.. But if you can afford to buy a 2m naira and above, should be able to buy the best oil for ur car

1 Like

Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by sooperrescue(m): 11:22am On Apr 23, 2018
Jazzlite:

Is it local or foreign? Because the two mobil1 are 0w40 and 5w30 and they are local
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by dru23(m): 11:25am On Apr 23, 2018
Jazzlite:

There is mobil 5w40... but it is for diseal trucks .

Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by sooperrescue(m): 11:33am On Apr 23, 2018
dru23:

The bottom line whether to use certain type of oil or not to.. We need to follow the manufacture reccomdation. The engine specific should either be in the car manual or on the oil cap.
The issue in Nigeria now just like everything else. How do you get the original oil to use ,and how do avoid buying fake or alter oil. You just have to do your research and look for people that import the original stuff. Buy from them and if you can buy extra and keep aside.. That is if you afford to do it.. But if you can afford to buy a 2m naira and above, should be able to buy the best oil for ur car
That is what I have been shouting about.
Nigerian used cars are buy at your own risk because of the poor maintenance culture

1 Like

Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by sooperrescue(m): 11:35am On Apr 23, 2018
dru23:

There is mobil 5w40... but it is for diseal trucks .
Is your Bmw x3 a diesel powered?
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by dru23(m): 11:43am On Apr 23, 2018
sooperrescue:

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (36) (Reply)

The Best Of IVM Motors (Innoson Motors) / I Finally Bought The Car I Went To Lagos To Buy. Now In PH With The Car / David Baka Designs Logo For Innoson Vehicles, Nigerians React

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.