Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,818 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:55 AM

Reps Take Delivery Of N3.6bn Cars - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reps Take Delivery Of N3.6bn Cars (16572 Views)

NAF Takes Delivery Of Final Batch Of Super Mushshak Aircraft. / Why We Bought N3.6bn Exotic Cars During Recession –reps / Buhari Announces Recovery Of N3.4 Trillion In One Year (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reps Take Delivery Of N3.6bn Cars by dre11(m): 8:46am On Nov 14, 2016

John Ameh, Abuja

The delivery of 360 exotic cars to members of the House of Representatives has begun amid the economic downturn in the country.

Investigations by The PUNCH revealed on Sunday that 28 units of the Peugeot 508 series had already been delivered to lawmakers in Abuja.

The 28 were among the first batch of 50 cars supplied by the Kaduna-based Peugeot Automobile Nigeria Limited.

The House allocated a princely N3.6bn for the cars in the 2016 budget at a unit price of N10m.

A National Assembly top aide told
The PUNCH on Sunday that the arrangement with Peugeot was that the company would supply the vehicles in batches because of the huge number of members involved.

“Fifty cars will be supplied in the first batch; 28 have already been delivered. That was last week.
“Twenty-two more in the first batch are expected to be delivered this week,” the source stated.

Findings indicated that the luxury cars would arrive in Abuja in batches till January, 2017 when all 360 members would have picked a unit.

About 223 of the members of the House are new, having come to the National Assembly for the first time in 2015.

But all 360 members will still benefit from the luxury cars, officially known as ‘utility’ or ‘committee’ vehicles.

Investigations showed that owing to paucity of funds, the lawmakers agreed with Peugeot to spread the payment of the N3.6bn across 24 months or “two years’ budget.”

The PUNCH gathered that the original plan was to start the delivery of the cars last June, but the delay in the passage of the 2016 budget stalled it.

“The House was not sure of the provisions in the budget owing to the general drop in the revenue available to the Federal Government this year.

“So, they delayed it till the budget was passed before they continued with the procurement processing.”

It was learnt that a lengthy disagreement among lawmakers preceded the choice of the Peugeot 508 series.

Investigations revealed that while the majority of the new members preferred the 2016 Toyota Camry, others argued in favour of Peugeot 508 on the grounds of patronising ‘Made-in-Nigeria products’.

“Eventually, the argument was sustained that Peugeot should be the choice to encourage local automotive industry; though it would also appear that there was a comparative cost analysis,” another legislative source added.

The Chairman, House Committee on Media and Public Affairs, Mr. Abdulrazak Namdas, confirmed that members had started taking delivery of the vehicles.

Speaking with our correspondent on Sunday, Namdas stated that female lawmakers were the first in line to pick up their units, while the males would take their turn in subsequent batches.

Asked why the House would splash money on 360 exotic cars at a time the country was in recession, Namdas played down any reference to the cars as being “luxury.”

He said, “This issue of cars is long overdue. They are not for luxury but for committee and oversight duties.

“The 8th Assembly is nearing two years, yet members have no cars to carry out their duties.

“Ministers and other officials in the executive have long bought vehicles for official duties.

“At the state level, members of House of Assembly have cars to carry out basic functions.

“I think it is only fair that members of the National Assembly will have utility vehicles for their assignments.”

Namdas also told The PUNCH that the choice of Peugeot 508 was to “look inward such that Peugeot, which is locally-assembled, will benefit and grow.”

On paper, the cars are the property of the National Assembly, but the tradition over time is that lawmakers take them along with them on completion of their tenure after paying a fraction of the unit cost.

It was learnt that the management of the National Assembly would evaluate the cars after four years and deduct an agreed sum from the severance package of members.

Besides the utility vehicles, members also get a repayable loan to buy personal cars.

http://punchng.com/amid-recession-reps-take-delivery-n3-6bn-exotic-cars/
Re: Reps Take Delivery Of N3.6bn Cars by INTROVERT(f): 8:47am On Nov 14, 2016
They buy a unit for 10mil and by 2019 they will sell it to themselves for 200k.

I love Nigeria. grin

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Reps Take Delivery Of N3.6bn Cars by krasican(m): 9:36am On Nov 14, 2016
blood sucking demons

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reps Take Delivery Of N3.6bn Cars by omowolewa: 9:44am On Nov 14, 2016
Peugeot? Innoson no dey?

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reps Take Delivery Of N3.6bn Cars by Innunique: 9:52am On Nov 14, 2016
What happened to their private cars... can't it be used? why the so much wastage and misplaced priority and of funds too?

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reps Take Delivery Of N3.6bn Cars by Nobody: 9:56am On Nov 14, 2016
IS THIS A COUNTRY?

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Reps Take Delivery Of N3.6bn Cars by izombie(m): 10:16am On Nov 14, 2016
I bet omenka is still repairing his peugeot 504 at the mechanic's. Modath,passingshot, aressa and seun, any of these cars reach unaaaa?!

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reps Take Delivery Of N3.6bn Cars by Sweetguy25: 10:18am On Nov 14, 2016
This is Nigeria, nobody cares.

Besides, I want to ask you Nigerians who think corruption is Nigeria's problem - Is this corruption?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reps Take Delivery Of N3.6bn Cars by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:25am On Nov 14, 2016
Useless people

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reps Take Delivery Of N3.6bn Cars by TheNonce: 10:26am On Nov 14, 2016
wink

Systematic looting!

3 Likes

Re: Reps Take Delivery Of N3.6bn Cars by ShaqFu: 10:27am On Nov 14, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
Useless people
Who is more useless? The Reps or the Peeps who put them there?

"Tell me, who do you think is more fool, the fool or the person following the fool?" - Obi-wan Kenobi.

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Reps Take Delivery Of N3.6bn Cars by herzern1(m): 10:39am On Nov 14, 2016

Niqeria is just an entity full of clowns....

Those idiots NLC and TU will be un-heard now.....

They can only use their un-cultured mouth when it comes to PMS increase...

5 Likes

Re: Reps Take Delivery Of N3.6bn Cars by Nobody: 10:39am On Nov 14, 2016
Democracatic govt. in corruption riden Nation is equivalent to Terrorism

3 Likes

Re: Reps Take Delivery Of N3.6bn Cars by henrydadon(m): 10:39am On Nov 14, 2016
angry

no hope for this country at all

am leaving

[img]http://i./asENv8RdW7j6U.gif[/img]

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reps Take Delivery Of N3.6bn Cars by Seuncoded(f): 10:40am On Nov 14, 2016
Alright
Re: Reps Take Delivery Of N3.6bn Cars by jonaquincy: 10:41am On Nov 14, 2016
I swear these are the real killers. They kill millions of Nigerians with their greed

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reps Take Delivery Of N3.6bn Cars by Asuokaa: 10:42am On Nov 14, 2016
sometims i wonder why we have two houses of representatives

2 Likes

Re: Reps Take Delivery Of N3.6bn Cars by seguno2: 10:42am On Nov 14, 2016
When the cat is away, the mouse will always play.
As long as we, the citizens, remain lackadaisical about giving them so much money, they will continue to receive it from us.
Abi, na who be fool?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reps Take Delivery Of N3.6bn Cars by steppin: 10:42am On Nov 14, 2016
And yet most people fight for these thieves.

1 Like

Re: Reps Take Delivery Of N3.6bn Cars by ephi123(f): 10:42am On Nov 14, 2016
izombie:
I bet omenka is still repairing his peugeot 504 at the mechanic's. Modath,passingshot, aressa and seun, any of these cars reach unaaaa?!

hahaha cheesy
Haba, car like how? It's strictly pay per post.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reps Take Delivery Of N3.6bn Cars by chemicalDisease: 10:42am On Nov 14, 2016
Here is the real thieves.

1 Like

Re: Reps Take Delivery Of N3.6bn Cars by shamsuRana(m): 10:42am On Nov 14, 2016
ShaqFu:
Who is more useless? The Reps or the Peeps who put them there?

"Tell me, who do you think is more fool, the fool of the person following the fool?" - Obi-wan Kenobi.

grin
Re: Reps Take Delivery Of N3.6bn Cars by Nobody: 10:43am On Nov 14, 2016
Easy ride in recession. Carry on
Re: Reps Take Delivery Of N3.6bn Cars by SamuelAnyawu(m): 10:43am On Nov 14, 2016
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Reps Take Delivery Of N3.6bn Cars by Nobody: 10:43am On Nov 14, 2016
N3.6bn worth of cars?..for this recession?..

11 Likes

Re: Reps Take Delivery Of N3.6bn Cars by bestspoke: 10:44am On Nov 14, 2016
How can we ever make progress in this country?.. Just tell me the amount of prayers that will liberate this country when stuffs like this still make the news.

For the sake of my kids.
God bless Nigeria all the same.

1 Like

Re: Reps Take Delivery Of N3.6bn Cars by SailorXY: 10:44am On Nov 14, 2016
yet change begins with me abi? Na my legs no good to cruise 508 Series?

Visit the 44 Army Reference Hospital, Kaduna & see countless abandoned soldiers injured in defense of one Nigeria without even family support.

The thunder wey go fire the next person that ask me to "give everything" eh, e go better say them no even born that baga!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reps Take Delivery Of N3.6bn Cars by SweetJoystick(m): 10:44am On Nov 14, 2016
Una father there, God punish all of una

1 Like

Re: Reps Take Delivery Of N3.6bn Cars by Nobody: 10:45am On Nov 14, 2016
Personally I think the House of reps have shown good leadership.

1) They opted for Peugeot which I assume are assembled in Nigeria

2) they opted for Saloon cars as opposed to land cruisers or even prados unlike the bloodsuckers in the senate

4 Likes

Re: Reps Take Delivery Of N3.6bn Cars by Originality007: 10:45am On Nov 14, 2016
useless plpp
Re: Reps Take Delivery Of N3.6bn Cars by Lanre4uonly(m): 10:45am On Nov 14, 2016
What a country!
Re: Reps Take Delivery Of N3.6bn Cars by lomprico(m): 10:45am On Nov 14, 2016
patriotic9jaboy:
IS THIS A COUNTRY?

Nnamdi kanu have told u guys its a ZOO and u locked him up for that.

Wetin u want make I tell u nah.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FG Commences Work On Lafia-makurdi Highway (photos) / Buhari’s Wife Not A Political Tout Like Mrs Jonathan – Campaign Team / Nigerian Army Establishes A Media Centre In Maiduguiri (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.