Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,566 members, 7,955,100 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 04:56 PM

Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available - Health (42) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available (654400 Views)

Ola Orekunrin, The Youngest Doctor In England At Age 21 / Doctor In The House: Free Medical Advice Available / Pharmacist In The House:free Medicines Advice Available (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) ... (306) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Balogun(m): 1:53pm On Sep 19, 2009
trulyours, what operation is your dad having. Cataract, laser treatment, list is endless with eye operations. Where are you based. Trade names of drugs vary from country to country
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Balogun(m): 1:57pm On Sep 19, 2009
Noxious, you are more likely to get reply to your problem quicker if posted here. More doctors likely to read it and one of us will give you advice
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Balogun(m): 2:00pm On Sep 19, 2009
I think that is everyone covered now. Thanks for answering people on time naijaking!! Guys with so called staph in semen, I think myself and naijaking have said this till blue in the face (dont know what colour that would be for us black folk!!! smiley), its likely to be contamination
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by pheesayor(m): 7:13pm On Sep 21, 2009
Balogun:

Eczema skin disease treatment depends on how serious it is. Simple moisturising cream with no perfume or additives are best. When the skin dries, it cracks and infection might get in. Also try and avoid scratching. You will introduce infection from your fingernails to scratched surface. Some alternative medicine people feel there is a trigger food/thing. I have no objections to that type of thinking. If you find certain things or food trigger your eczema then avoid it.
Serious diseases might require antibiotic/steroid cream or tablets if very serious.

@ Balogun
Is eczema really hereditary? I used to have large ones on my back, my dad's comes and goes and same for most of his siblibgs, is it "in the blood" as they say?
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by nolvera(f): 10:50pm On Sep 22, 2009
D result of my lab comfirm dt i am having moderate growth of candidas wt heavy vag.discharge. And i ve used Gyno daktarine 200mg(vag.insert)yet nothing work.PLS HELP ME.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Balogun(m): 12:13pm On Sep 23, 2009
nolvera, Dr Kathy on the ObGyn thread should be your best help
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by okeey(m): 2:10pm On Sep 23, 2009
thanks 4 d info
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Aladunni(f): 9:22pm On Sep 23, 2009
@naijaking/Balogun

here is the conclusion of the echo test, taken on 31st August. it says "Eccentric LV hypertrophy with impaired LV diastolic relaxation". Please what is that supposed to mean and how does it help the present situation. thanks
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Balogun(m): 11:15pm On Sep 23, 2009
Aladunni, I think naijaking has been replying to your queries. For continuity of care I will leave him to reply
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by naijaking1: 4:10am On Sep 24, 2009
Aladunni:

@naijaking/Balogun

here is the conclusion of the echo test, taken on 31st August. it says "Eccentric LV hypertrophy with impaired LV diastolic relaxation". Please what is that supposed to mean and how does it help the present situation. thanks

Left ventricular hypertrophy or LVH is a common, but preventable disease of the heart. There're many causes of LVH, but the most common cause and especially in a 69 year old man is long history of uncontrolled hypertension. Because of persitently elevated blood pressure, the heart muscles simply get bigger(not creat newer muscles). They get so big that their original ability to contract, relax, and contract again as they pump blood is impaired.

Also when the heart muscles get big, the heart is unable to relax to the extent that the next contraction is not efficient. Contraction of the heart is called systole, while the relaxation is called diastole, so you'll understand what they mean by diastolic relaxation.

I'm happy to see that you did an ECHO, because like I told you earlier, many of the sysptoms your father is showing maybe of cardiac origin. The most important information we can get from ECHO is the ejection fraction, so go back and review the report again, and look for something like Left venticular systolic ejection fraction, or simply cardiac ejection fraction on that report. And hopefully, it's within normal limits.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Aladunni(f): 9:02am On Sep 24, 2009
Thanks naijaking. I thot i ll be able to scan it to u, meanwhile here is wat u asked. 'there is no pericardial effusion. The valves are normal morphologically. There is eccentric LV hypertrophy wit gud LV systolic function. The LV ejection fraction ,
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Aladunni(f): 9:06am On Sep 24, 2009
Continuation - the LV ejection fraction is 70%. There is no evidence of septal or wall motion abnormality. No clots or masses within the cardiac chambers. No mural thrombus seen.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Aladunni(f): 9:17am On Sep 24, 2009
Also Doppler - (pulsed, continuous wave, color flow). The mitral E/A ratio of LV diastolic filling is reserved. There is trivial mitral regurgitation. The real aortic and pulmonary artery systolic velocities are within normal range. Waiting 4 ur reply.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Aladunni(f): 10:01am On Sep 24, 2009
I ll like to also confirm wit u if this result can explain the episode of weaknesses and confusion. What is the place of a CT scan? Thanks
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by naijaking1: 10:20am On Sep 24, 2009
@Dr. Balogun
I gave a comprehensive write-up to Aladunni's follow-up case, and after sitting on the thread for a few hours, the write-up simply disappeared. Do you have a similar experience? I have appealed to the moderator in the past to no avail. It was just a basic medical advice, there was no x-rated language or anything like that. I have posted controversial write-ups in the political section without anyone deleting them, so I don't understand the problem with simple medical advice? I don't get frustrated easily, but how long do we have to post professional advice that'll be truncated?

Aladunni:

Continuation - the LV ejection fraction is 70%. There is no evidence of septal or wall motion abnormality. No clots or masses within the cardiac chambers. No mural thrombus seen.

Good news, your father's ejection fraction is normal. I suspect that long period of uncontrolled hypertension caused enlargment of heart muscles, those enlarged muscles caused an over-strechting of the heart valves, and then subsequently a change in the electrical conduction activities of the heart. The result is called atrial fibrillation, where the heart quickers repeatedly without actually contracting to pump out blood. You would need a cardiologist, because your father might need some blood thinners, digoxin, and beta blockers.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Trulyours: 11:00am On Sep 24, 2009
Gud day Dr. Balogun,

Presently i base in Nigeria. I don't really know which of the eyes operation he is going for. Actually, some years ago, very hot local gun powder affected his eyes and as a result, it damaged the eyes. So after much treatment, it was resolved to operate the eyes. The operation will take place on Oct. 26 2009 and i feel its worthwhile given him some drugs to assist him before and after the operation, so that he may recuperate fast.

Thank you.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Balogun(m): 2:14pm On Sep 24, 2009
trulyours, sounds like your dad might be going for corneal surgery. Can you confirm that
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Balogun(m): 2:18pm On Sep 24, 2009
Naijaking, the whole idea of the moderator was that some charlatans were peddling their wares on our site. We always managed to get rid of them by power of argument or ignoring them. Now with moderator our advice seems to be disappearing. Maybe we should consult the organ grinder!!!!
I worked out you had given advice to aladunni by the tone of her/his replies. It would have been good to read the advice
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by 9inch: 3:58pm On Sep 24, 2009
i need advice on how i can gain weight. i'm 5'7 and skinny,so this makes me look really small. i really need help on how i can gain weight. any advice?

plus i need opinions, is 5'7 short?
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Mayodsaint(m): 7:05pm On Sep 24, 2009
i personally appreciate you doc. it is beneficial to all members of this great forum.
pls sir at what age will a guy stop growing in height, pls be specific. also when someone wake in the morning is it advisable to take a glass of water and waht are the benefits pls elucidate better. God bless you sir.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Balogun(m): 7:32pm On Sep 24, 2009
mayodsaint, everyone stops growing at different times. Girls usually before guys. When your growth plate (epiphyseal plate) closes is when the bone there stops growing. On average in guys, its about 18 years.
Most people go about their day dehydrated. I always advice my patients to drink at least 3 litres of water daily. Brain works better when hydrated, less likely to develop kidney stones or infection, your stools are not rock hard. List is endless
There is a desert rat that passes sand as urine. This is because its kidney extracts all the water possible from its system. My little useless information of the day smiley

1 Like

Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Aladunni(f): 10:38pm On Sep 24, 2009
Aladunni:

I ll like to also confirm wit u if this result can explain the episode of weaknesses and confusion. What is the place of a CT scan? Thanks

@naijaking
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by naijaking1: 5:23am On Sep 26, 2009
Many heart conditions, eg atrial fibrillation could cause weakness and confusion; that's why I suggested that you also consider a cardiologist. Ct scan of the head is always a part of any diagnostic work up for confusion or altered mental status. Also, see if they can do ultrasound of the 2 neck arteries, because when they are narrowed, smaller and smaller amount of blood is able to reach the brain, thereby causing confusion.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Aladunni(f): 10:41pm On Sep 26, 2009
@ naijaking

like ma pipo say, owo yin ama roke o (meaning "you ll continue flying higher"wink thanks for being there always
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by esduny: 2:31pm On Sep 27, 2009
Hi Dr. Balogun,

Just came across this thread.
I had measles in December, 2008 and later some spots appeared on my hands, legs and thighs. And ever since then, they've been there. I went to the hospital and I was given some injections and drugs but the spots remained till now.
Please your advice on what to do will be very much appreciated.
Thanks for response in advance.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by koksy(f): 7:45pm On Sep 27, 2009
hi doc.since friday i hv bn havn cold symptoms, slight headache,fever,slight chesty cough,body pains.i just came to d uk frm nigeria last sunday and d weather was very cold,right now i have lik goosebumps and i feel shiverish most times.ds is because my room is quite cold and my heaters havent bn turned on.please wat do u thnk is wrong? presently am takn a drug for colds and flu.wt do u suggest i do.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by osilekan4u: 9:19am On Sep 28, 2009
d doctor how was your weekend and family?Keep on d gud work.pls i want to ask for wat can be done to shrinking manhood.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Balogun(m): 5:59pm On Sep 28, 2009
esduny, following measles, chicken pox and shingles the rash or blisters sometimes leaves residual spots which are scars. Not a lot you can do about them. No injections or drugs will help them
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Balogun(m): 6:01pm On Sep 28, 2009
koksy, sounds like you have a viral infection. Plenty fluids and paracetamol is what you need
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Balogun(m): 6:02pm On Sep 28, 2009
osilekan4u, how old are you

(1) (2) (3) ... (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) ... (306) (Reply)

How Can I Get Rid Of Black Spots On My Face? / Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology / How Do I Calculate My Safe Period?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.