Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,982 members, 7,817,900 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:18 PM

Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available - Health (45) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available (636607 Views)

Ola Orekunrin, The Youngest Doctor In England At Age 21 / Doctor In The House: Free Medical Advice Available / Pharmacist In The House:free Medicines Advice Available (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) ... (305) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Geezle(m): 9:56am On Oct 23, 2009
Hello Doctor,

I think I might have contracted gonorrhea, from the way I feel and what I have read concerning this feeling.

What should I do?
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by naijaking1: 10:04pm On Oct 23, 2009
Geezle:

Hello Doctor,

I think I might have contracted gonorrhea, from the way I feel and what I have read concerning this feeling.

What should I do?

Go treat it ASAP
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by meenus: 5:54am On Oct 25, 2009
Dear docter , i am using " super wate-on emulsion " syrup 1 week back onwards.Am taking 30 ml 3 times a day.i have ectomorphic metabolisam.whether this suppliement will help me or not to increase my body fat? am having 48 kg weight and 30 year old women.

am eating a lot, but not gaining the weight, very slim from childhood onwards, but in my family everybdy is having good body fat,

any side effects for this?
how long i neeed to use this to become 68 kg weght?
how much weight i can earn within a week?
if i stop using this gain weight will lose o not?
please advice me asap,

with regards
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Geezle(m): 8:48am On Oct 25, 2009
naijaking1:

Go treat it ASAP

Drugs to take? Should I do a TEST?
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by iitiroro: 12:31pm On Oct 26, 2009
thanks doc
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by naijaking1: 6:10pm On Oct 26, 2009
Geezle:

Drugs to take? Should I do a TEST?
Go see a doctor.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by iitiroro: 11:47pm On Oct 26, 2009
click here[urlkill that fibroid stone now, [/url]
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by iitiroro: 11:50pm On Oct 26, 2009
click [url=http://herekill that fibroid stone now,]herekill that fibroid stone now, [/url]
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by iitiroro: 11:54pm On Oct 26, 2009
click[url=http://here kill that fibroid stone now,] here kill that fibroid stone now, [/url]
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Cupidkc(m): 8:16am On Oct 27, 2009
Am havin a tooth ache, actually there is a hole bw my premolars @ upper cavity, left. Wht shld I do? Is been there for 14 months. Help!
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Balogun(m): 11:00am On Oct 28, 2009
cupidkc, I think it is obvious who you should see!!! A DENTIST
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by skybeauty(f): 1:53pm On Oct 29, 2009
Dear Doc. I thank and appreciate ur good work here in Nairaland. Doc pls i hav been livin with Bronchi Asthma for the 20yrs of my life now and pls do u think it has a permanent cure pls it worsens as i get older.

Again my period has been a thorn in my flesh, I always see hell on the first day until I vomit or take alcohol but I was advised that alcohol is not good for my health cos it will affect me when start getting pregnant. Pls doc ur advice is urgently needed.

Thanks in anticipation of ur candid advice
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by bluejay2: 2:59pm On Oct 29, 2009
hi guys, my sister is a qualified nurse and midwife. she is quite experienced (about 15 years of working experience) she is presently an assistant chief nursing officer and is in search of a better job. can anyone in the house find something for her?
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Marymos: 12:28pm On Oct 30, 2009
Hello Doctor,
I've been suffering from body itching after taking my bath mostly when i used sponge.The itching will last for about 6 minutes and stop.I was told some time ago that am suffering from pheleria(the spelling may not be correct).I went to a doctor a year ago but he could not provide any solution.Can anybody in the house help me out?I don't know if that is what is affecting my eyes as well.My eyes also itches me but occasionally.Please Doctor i need your help.

1 Like

Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by naijaking1: 6:21pm On Oct 30, 2009
Marymos:

Hello Doctor,
I've been suffering from body itching after taking my bath mostly when i used sponge.The itching will last for about 6 minutes and stop.I was told some time ago that am suffering from pheleria(the spelling may not be correct).I went to a doctor a year ago but he could not provide any solution.Can anybody in the house help me out?I don't know if that is what is affecting my eyes as well.My eyes also itches me but occasionally.Please Doctor i need your help.

Body itch maybe cause by allergic reaction, immune dysfunction, and microrganisms among other causes. Some of these microorganisms are microfilaria. If you have microfilaria--filaria (filariasis) for short, then it's important that you see adoctor that knows about the disease.
Many people who live in small towns and villages where there are small running river/creeks develop microfilaria after being bitten by tse-tse fly. These flies, just like mosquitoes carry parasites. However, these flies live and develop under fast running water.
Treatment of microfilaria in this day and age is quite simple: mabendazole taken by mouth for 10-14 days usually clears the parasites. It's better to take medications under the care and guidance of a doctor, so that if you develop an allergic reaction or side effect, the doctor will be there to help. Good luck
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by chynenye(f): 6:43am On Nov 02, 2009
The anatomy of the tse-tse fly is such that it does not permit the development of microfilaria. So tse-tse flies cannot transmit filaria worms. It transmits trypanosomes causing trypanosomiasis. The different types of filariasis are caused as a result of a bite from an infected black fly (Simulium) or mosquitoes. Ivermectin (mectizan), diethylcarbamazine (DEC) and albendazole are the current drugs of choice for eliminating the microfilariae but the adult worms which produce the microfilariae will require years of treatment. Surgical excision of the nodules (which houses the adult worms) in combination with the administration of ivermectin has been very effective in treating those affected in the country. However, diagnosis of filariasis is only possible through laboratory testing.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by naijaking1: 8:56am On Nov 02, 2009
chynenye:

The anatomy of the tse-tse fly is such that it does not permit the development of microfilaria. So tse-tse flies cannot transmit filaria worms. It transmits trypanosomes causing trypanosomiasis.

I might have over generalized the use of that term tse-tse fly, because I saw no need to speciate the glossina or simulium flies for this patient. The point however remains that an arthropod host is likely involved in the life cylce of this putative organism. We don't even know what he really has, until he go to his doctor.

The different types of filariasis are caused as a result of a bite from an infected black fly (Simulium) or mosquitoes. Ivermectin (mectizan), diethylcarbamazine (DEC) and albendazole are the current drugs of choice for eliminating the microfilariae but the adult worms which produce the microfilariae will require years of treatment.

All these medications are essentially vetenary drugs, and must be used with caution. I would not advice this patient to take DEC or Bonacide(as it's locally called in Nigeria, because of demonstrable severe allergic reaction in patients with onchocerca infections. Albendazole and madendazole are in the same benzimidazole class and have been shown to be better tolerated than even ivermectin.

Surgical excision of the nodules (which houses the adult worms) in combination with the administration of ivermectin has been very effective in treating those affected in the country.

Yearly administration of ivermectin to cover the life span of an adult parasite(about 10 years) is better than surgical excision, because of relapse of parasitism a few years after surgery has been demonstrated in many cases.

However, diagnosis of filariasis is only possible through laboratory testing.
I used to think so too, when I used to be just a medical lab scientist.
Now, I know that there are other ways of diagnosing filariasis apart from what Blackwell Parasitology says.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Marymos: 11:21am On Nov 02, 2009
@naijaking 1 and Chinnenye,
you are both great.Your response shows that you are loaded,good and up to the task.I envy the both of you.However you divergent response on Fileria and its treatment has put me in confusion.I will appreciate it if the both of you can suggest collectively on the necessary steps i should take in other of priority to get lasting solution to my plight.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by naijaking1: 11:40am On Nov 02, 2009
I am sorry we have confused you, medical jargons tend to do that. Some times attempts to communicate at ordinary persons level may creat some confusion, but trust me there is no intention to confuse. We just want to help. Sometimes doctors do disagree among themselves, its natural, and benefitial to the patient.
Final suggestion is go and see a doctor who will do different types of exam on your skin and your eyes, because getting a good history and physical exam are the most important issues in diagnosing any illness. Even though, you did not say anything about sleeping too often, I'm concerned about your eye complaints, just as I am about your skin complaint. If you have typical or atypical sleeping sickness which may present as itching, eye problems in addition to sleepiness, it's always better to catch it on time, before it cause more damges to your body. It's also possible you have simple microfilaria and not sleeping sickness. You can also confront your doctor with the information you have learnt from this thread, and see what he or she says.
Most importantly go see a doctor.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Marymos: 1:54pm On Nov 02, 2009
@naijaking 1,
you must be a very nice person.Thanx a million.I will definately go and see a Doctor as you've suggested.I will give you feedback on the ooutcome.You can send your email address to my mail(optional) if you will not mind.
marymos2008@yahoo.co.uk
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by ankeade: 2:13pm On Nov 02, 2009
Hello Dr. Balogun,
Thanks for the support.
But please, I have a question to ask.
Is there any form or way a pregnant woman must sleep?
Is it that she must sleep having her chest directly on the bed or how?

Also, what and what is it adviseable to a pregnant woman whose pregnancy is within the early stage (2months old) should be eating?

Thanks so much.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by naijaking1: 8:41pm On Nov 02, 2009
ankeade:

Hello Dr. Balogun,
Thanks for the support.
But please, I have a question to ask.
Is there any form or way a pregnant woman must sleep?
Is it that she must sleep having her chest directly on the bed or how?

Also, what and what is it adviseable to a pregnant woman whose pregnancy is within the early stage (2months old) should be eating?
Thanks so much.

I am not Dr. Balogun, but I am a licensed and practising physician. I'll try and answer your question, because there is some degree of urgency involved. If you're pregnant, and beyond 2nd and 3rd trimester, you're adviced to lie on your left side down. This way the baby doesn't sit directly on your big blood vessels. So remember, left side down as much as possible.

Eating regular and well fortified diet with plenty of fluids would be enought to carry you through most pregnancies, but if in doubt ask your MD for some pregnancy vitamins. Also consult Dr. Kathy in our OB/Gyn section for more information.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by dewoy: 4:30am On Nov 04, 2009
my fasting blood sugar result is 248, am so confused , i take my medication seriously, just dont undastand wat is wrong pls advise?
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by naijaking1: 7:46am On Nov 04, 2009
dewoy:

my fasting blood sugar result is 248, am so confused , i take my medication seriously, just dont undastand wat is wrong pls advise?

Your fasting blood sugar is high. How did you get the value? Did you stick yourself, or did you get this from a lab sample? The points to remember is that lab results are affected by many factors---how you collected the sample, if you really fasted; how the test was run in the lab, or how good your machine was calibrated.

You need to do a more detailed lab test of your blood to know: sodium, pottasium, chloride, bicarbonate, urea nitrogen, creatinie, and blood glucose. Also, do Hemoglobin A1c to know how your sugar has been for the past 3weeks.
When you do all these, you will need to be evaluated to make sure there no end organ damage so far.

Meanwhile, you would need to adjust your medications to cover this high level of blood glucose, but remember to check your finger stick everyday, because somedays, you might need to reduce the amount of medication, and some other day, you might want to increase it. Note that when you have cold, flu,or infection, your blood sugar is most likely to increase, and may reach dangerously high levels that you may pass out.

I usually tell my patients that after taking their prescribed medications or insulin, and notice that their sugar is too high, the best immediate step would be to take plenty of fluids. This fluids help dilute the sugar and give you time to get to the doctor without passing out on the way. What medications are you taking, and what dose, and how do you test yourself?
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Sheridan99: 9:38am On Nov 04, 2009
It's a great pleasure having someone as renowned as yourself on board
Thanks for your help,
can i ask for an advice here,
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Balogun(m): 6:41pm On Nov 04, 2009
It does what it says on the tin!! Doctors in the house. Ask away your advice.

Dewoy and others that give blood results or other results, its important to clarify what units come after the number like mmol/L mg/100ml or whatever is at the end of the number. We can then work out whether you are within the normal limits of the result you are giving us

Ankeade, Naijaking is spot on with the advice regarding sleep positions in pregnancy
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by dewoy: 8:44am On Nov 05, 2009
@naija king, the test was taking in a lab,and i was fasting then, i use glucophage,glanin and alphabetics,
my urine as been foamy nowadays,fatigue and dizzines,pains in my foot
bt my doctor says all i nid is 2 constantly exercise my body cos my weight is 127kg and am 6feet 2inches tall, pls advice
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by ladyjay1(f): 1:55pm On Nov 06, 2009
dr balodun hwz work n every tin??jus wantd 2 tell u dat i luv d painting hanging on ur wall,am d kinda person dat truly apreciate art
also plz could u hlp mi anwer a question i posted 2 kathy on her thread a while a ago
seeing as she has nt byn arnd 4 long,ope ol is well wit her.
tanx alot
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Balogun(m): 6:14pm On Nov 07, 2009
Thanks for the observation of the picture on the wall. It is by an artist called Ken Symonds who is based in Cornwall, England. He actually drew a lot of front covers for African text books when he lived in Africa.

Now your problem. From what I have read on the other site, it seems as though your cycle seems regular and normal. I think your gynaecologists are right. You need to be patient. However I see this is causing you distress. Important to start with simple investigations before clomid. Is your partner had a sperm check. That might be an easy beginning. Mid cycle is usually day 14, which means you are most fertile in the few days before and after
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by utimayor(m): 1:10am On Nov 08, 2009
Good day every one, Hi Dr Balogun, pls i have this 'skin discoloration' permit my words but this thing doesn't look like eczema, i have tried treating it for close to one year now, but the thing simply increases and now, it has covered my back and my chest down to my belly and its proceeding towards my arms and neck, pls Dr i am very seared! what could this be? the last treatment was nizoral tablets which i took for 30 straight days without even any sign of improvement(recommended by a physician). also, my scrotum ( below, the part that laps with the thighs) bring out a bad odour that smells like wasted sperms, it happens as if the sperm comes out of the scrotum through osmosis ( pls permit my language, just trying to elaborate how i feel) and the smell is terrible, pls Dr.s i need your help i am afraid, is anything bad wrong with me? though when i was just about 13-17, my scrotum used to stick to my thighs when the weather is hot and i an a bit damp under there. please i need help. what should i do? waiting to her from you.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Balogun(m): 10:17pm On Nov 08, 2009
lady jay, I posted a reply to your query. Seems to have gone missing.
Would the moderator try and retrieve the reply please
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Balogun(m): 10:21pm On Nov 08, 2009
lady jay if you go on my profile, your reply should be in my post somewhere

(1) (2) (3) ... (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) ... (305) (Reply)

How Can I Get Rid Of Black Spots On My Face? / Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology / How Do I Calculate My Safe Period?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.