Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,261 members, 7,954,016 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 10:57 AM

Femi Pedro's Manifesto Available For Download - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Femi Pedro's Manifesto Available For Download (6943 Views)

The Curious Case Of The Young Generations – FEMI PEDRO / APC's Manifesto, Unrealistic And Full Of Deceit - PDP. / APC Manifesto Spending Plan To Cost N53trn Over Four Years - Business Day (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Femi Pedro's Manifesto Available For Download by destiny2k7(m): 11:40am On Jan 05, 2007
Nairalanders,

An abridged copy of Femi Pedro's manifesto is now available for download on the website for your scrutiny and viewing pleasure. The address is as follows:

http://www.femipedro.com

at the top right hand of the page, click on the link "manifesto"

Thank you for your continued support.

Destiny 2007

************************************************************************************************

My Fellow Lagosians,

I thank you all for your continued support of my ambition to become Lagos State's next Governor.

My recent choice to join the Labour Party and accept its nomination as its flagbearer for the 2007 Gubernatorial elections in Lagos State has resulted in the desire by you to understand the Labour Party, it’s fundamental objectives and guiding principles and, more importantly, why I have opted to join the party. It has therefore become imperative that I answer some of these questions in as simple a form as possible to enlighten my teeming supporters about The Labour Party.

The Labour Party is a political party with a difference, inspired by the urgent need to change the shape, context and character of partisan politics in Nigeria- from its current state to one based on contemporary, sustainable development issues and identifiable ideology.

The issues confronting partisan politics in our great country today are glaring; our political parties are no longer people-oriented or issue-driven. After eight years into Nigeria’s 3rd attempt at democracy, our Nation, Nigeria and people deserve a change from the old order.

The Labour Party represents the new order. The fundamental guiding principles which led to the formation of the Party and the concept of the Party must be understood in its entirety, if its laudable aims and objectives are to be harnessed.

All over the world, “Labour” or “Labour Party”, as the name connotes, is universally accepted as the single entity whose sole aim is to protect the rights of the nation’s greatest labour parties have proven to be strong and vibrant in implementing innovative policies which enhance societal development, economic growth, empower the working class, bridge the gap between the rich and the poor, alleviate poverty, reduce unemployment, improve health and education, develop small business, cater for its children and the aged, build strong family’s and provide secure communities, States and Nations.

In Nigeria, the dreams and aspirations of the Labour Party and its members are no different. The Labour Party is about continuous socio-economic growth and development through good governance based on people-oriented visionary and ethical leadership. The Labour Party is therefore the only party that can stop our country from further continuous retrogressive socio-economic and political disintegration.

The Nigerian citizenry must therefore begin to understand the Labour Party within the context of partisan politics in our nation’s nascent democracy and see the Party as a “monumental change agent”.

The Party’s Slogan, “Forward ever, Backward never” in it’s simplicity, is loaded with meaning for the Nigerian working class and the Nigerian citizenry- the party represents the present, continuous, infinite, perpetual, never-ending struggle for the liberation and emancipation of the Nigerian people through effective, ethical, visionary, purpose-driven people-oriented leadership, and implementation of policies totally focused and directed at substantially increasing the standard of living for all Nigerians, as well as the protection of individuals’ inalienable fundamental human rights. It is about creating a better life for the Nigerian family. It is about bringing an end to the cataclysmic and catastrophic effect of years of economic deprivation.

The Labour Party is about people, the people who produce the nation’s wealth: The working class. It is about our farmers producers of our nation’s food basket, ploughing the farms throughout our nation. It is about our market women- daily striving to earn a living. It is about the various workers commuting the length and breadth of our country to create a vibrant economy. It is about workers in the public service, and organized private sector. It is about the small and medium scale business owner striving to build their businesses. It is about workers on our drilling rigs, our financial, telecommunication, aviation and construction industries. It is about the old age pensioner, the retirees who have worked tirelessly to develop our nation. The Labour Party is about the generality of Nigerians- it is about the people.

However, this large sector referred to as “the working class”, in Nigeria, who collectively are the major singular contributory to the economic wealth of our nation remain marginalized, deprived of basic necessities and live below globally acceptable standards of living.

Over the years, the labour movement has sought to protect the rights of workers from being trampled upon. Indeed, it has succeeded substantially. This success is what the Party seeks to promote- not as underdogs fighting the established political class and executive after arbitrary policies which usually bring untold hardship to workers have been implemented- but as a collective, formidable force from the forefront, to ensure that policies of government are by-and-large fair and equitable for the working class.

The Labour Party has respect for the ordinary citizens of Nigeria. It shares their dreams, it walks the same road, it buys from the same markets, struggles for the same buses, craves for constant power supply and availably of potable drinking water, good schools, good hospitals, better transportation, basic infrastructure, shelter for families and adequate security.

The Labour Party is your party. We must join hands to bring about change. TOGETHER WE WILL MAKE IT HAPPEN.

Alluta Continua, Victory Ascerta

OLUFEMI PEDRO
www.femipedro.com

Re: Femi Pedro's Manifesto Available For Download by Afam(m): 12:19pm On Jan 05, 2007
When did he realise that Labour Party was a good party?

After he was schemed out of AC abi?

We need men that will take decisions based on principles and unrivalled integrity.
Re: Femi Pedro's Manifesto Available For Download by Mariory(m): 3:37pm On Jan 05, 2007
You think you'll ever find such men in politics? Good luck.
Re: Femi Pedro's Manifesto Available For Download by streetcyph: 8:42pm On Jan 05, 2007
Afam:

When did he realise that Labour Party was a good party?

After he was schemed out of AC abi?

We need men that will take decisions based on principles and unrivalled integrity.

dude, make sense quick. what r u saying, he does not take decisions based on principles and unrivalled integrity? sometimes when i read some of the junk you nigerians post i just nod my head.

we have all seen the candidates, it is left for us all to decide who is the best for lagos.

here is an article i wrote in the punch newspaper not too long ago about mr. pedro Afam and co, read.

Lagos and Pedro’s new politics
Ayo Adegbola
Published: Friday, 29 Dec 2006

To hear detractors talk about him, Lagos State Deputy Governor, Femi Pedro, is a political debutante. To some extent, this assessment holds. Pedro’s advent on the state’s political terrain was due to a formal invitation from Governor Bola Tinubu who, chastened by an earlier failed relationship with his first deputy, launched a search for a core professional he could trust to just ‘run’ Lagos.

Pedro comes to the table loaded with chips. A consummate banker and finance expert, he resigned his post as Managing Director of First Atlantic Bank(now First Inland) to join the Lagos State government. He has, as even his critics readily point out, done a good job. Loyal, hardworking and unobtrusive, Pedro has been the rulebook deputy. About four years into the tasking and experience-building governance of Lagos, it is also evident that he has picked up the finer points of politics. Ever the quick learner, he became a crucial pillar of the state government.

By the time he made known his intention to contest the governorship ticket of the Action Congress, not a few were ready to bet their last shirt that he was the man for the job. It was also not long before his image overshadowed those of other aspirants that started long before he did until the dynamics of AC politics diverted the course of the campaign. That Pedro is now the governorship candidate of the Labour Party says a lot about his cool-headedness, planning and long-term thinking. Rather than join the bickering in the AC, he calmly took his political machinery into the LP and relaunched his bid for governor. This holds a lot of lessons for politicians. By his sense of political maturity and sagacity, he has shown that what matters most to him is the idea. A political watcher aptly sums up the situation: “Pedro’s refusal to stay back in AC licking wounds and the resultant decision to strike out on his own are revolutionary and may help bring the political process in Nigeria out of the closet of godfatherism and unaccountability.”

Pedro’s decision to contest on the platform of the LP reveals the victory of idea and vision over opportunism. It also put paid to an accusation that he could not rise up to big situations and take weighty decisions if voted into office. [/b]Incidentally, Pedro,the so-called political upstart, is the only deputy governor still in the governorship race in the country, the rest having been schemed out by their bosses! So, what does his candidacy mean for the people of Lagos State? [b]First of all, it widens choice in the governorship race. Put against the rancour and divisions within the AC and, lately the PDP in the state, Pedro’s candidacy holds the hope of a sane tenure. Rather than engage in needless conflict and infighting, his campaign team is busy developing its agenda for moving Lagos forward.

Matter of fact, it offers Lagosians the calmest sea to anchor their hopes in the midst of all the upheavals in the state’s politics. As it were, Pedro is looking beyond the strictures of fossilised party structures to reach out directly to the people of Lagos State. This is rather interesting and presents exciting possibilities. Pedro has chosen performance and personal credibility over the backing of a godfather. By that token, he is the owner of the end game, as the race will not be decided by party affiliations but by track record and personality. This is the testimony of someone who built his career on verifiable results as a private sector operator.

As the Chairman of the Lagos State Internally Generated Revenue team, he has taken IGR from N2billion to about N6billion. He is the Chairman of the state Tenders Board and supervisor of ministries. His candidacy also tends to follow the trend around the world where high-flying former CEOs, rather than apparatchiks, lead metropoles such as Lagos. Michael Bloomberg of New York and Ken Livingstone of London are examples of this new breed of leaders. Tellingly, his campaign programme, tagged Lagos Strategic Transformation Plan, offers an idea of what should pre-occupy a 21st Century mega city-state such as Lagos. These include issues such as economic empowerment; environmental renewal; integrated mass transit system; power and social security system.

It behoves Lagosians to join this new brand of politics, as they are the expected beneficiaries of its fruition.
Re: Femi Pedro's Manifesto Available For Download by Afam(m): 9:32am On Jan 06, 2007
streetcyph:

dude, make sense quick. what r u saying, he does not take decisions based on principles and unrivalled integrity? sometimes when i read some of the junk you nigerians post i just nod my head.

we have all seen the candidates, it is left for us all to decide who is the best for lagos.

here is an article i wrote in the punch newspaper not too long ago about mr. pedro Afam and co, read.

Pedro’s decision to contest on the platform of the LP reveals the victory of idea and vision over opportunism. It also put paid to an accusation that he could not rise up to big situations and take weighty decisions if voted into office. [/b]Incidentally, Pedro,the so-called political upstart, is the only deputy governor still in the governorship race in the country, the rest having been schemed out by their bosses! So, what does his candidacy mean for the people of Lagos State? [b]First of all, it widens choice in the governorship race. Put against the rancour and divisions within the AC and, lately the PDP in the state, Pedro’s candidacy holds the hope of a sane tenure. Rather than engage in needless conflict and infighting, his campaign team is busy developing its agenda for moving Lagos forward.

That you are still posting here even when you believe Nigerians here post junk shows that you are a believer of junk posts otherwise you would have taken your campaign to forums that don't tolerate junks.

This thread is not about your article on Mr Pedro, my question remains a simple one - When did he realise that Labour Party is the best option?

Before or after he was schemed out of AC?

Would he have joined Labour Party if the governor supported him and AC gave him the ticket?

Why turn simple questions into complex and lenghty ones?

Answer the simple questions posed.

1 Like

Re: Femi Pedro's Manifesto Available For Download by LoverBwoy(m): 12:57pm On Jan 06, 2007
why is the labour party only in lagos? Seems lagos is another country on its own everything is done with thugs and noise

probably another donald duke in the making, good but not good enough
Re: Femi Pedro's Manifesto Available For Download by Mariory(m): 2:57pm On Jan 07, 2007
LoverBwoy:

why is the labour party only in lagos? Seems lagos is another country on its own

A bit like California.
Re: Femi Pedro's Manifesto Available For Download by TerraCotta(m): 3:48pm On Jan 07, 2007
Afam--a successful politician is a realist. The Labour Party might have been a wonderful choice for Pedro all along, but there's no way that he wouldn't prefer the backing of a wealthy party like AC. If I'm not mistaken, his route to political relevance was through the old Lagos AD, most of whom have moved over to Action Congress with Tinubu, and they would be the bedrock of Pedro's campaign. I don't know if the guy's really any good or just another crook, but from a purely political standpoint, you can't fault him for thinking smart. Labour Party just doesn't have the money, support, or name recognition of AC/AD, and anyone serious about getting elected has to consider those factors when picking a party.
Re: Femi Pedro's Manifesto Available For Download by mowapa(m): 8:24am On Jan 08, 2007
@AFAM

You raised a good question, but like terracotta said politicians are opportunist. Same issue happened in the recent election in USA when Sen Lieberman of Conneticut lost the primary and ran as an independent candidate and won, only Nigeria does not allow independent candidature. Anyway i wish Mr Pedro goodluck because he will definitely need it to win Lagos.
Re: Femi Pedro's Manifesto Available For Download by streetcyph: 2:36pm On Jan 08, 2007
mo wapa:

Anyway i wish Mr Pedro goodluck because he will definitely need it to win Lagos.

@mowapa, he needs the people of lagos to go to the polling booth and decide whose hands they want to put lagos into. i think if people register 2 vote and exericse their rights, victory will prevail for mr. pedro

TerraCotta:

Labour Party just doesn't have the money, support, or name recognition of AC/AD, and anyone serious about getting elected has to consider those factors when picking a party.

TerraCotta, I partially agree with u, but the question one must ask is, what have the well-known parties done for lagos and NIGERIA as a whole? It is about time people voted for persons, not necessarily parties. that is what will make Pedro win. i think raising money is not going to be an issue for FP. from what i understand, he has corporate and religious backing, and they have committed funds to his cause

LoverBwoy:

why is the labour party only in lagos? Seems lagos is another country on its own everything is done with thugs and noise

probably another donald duke in the making, good but not good enough

Labour Party is in some other states- in Ondo, their candidate is Mimiko, who is well known and my cause a major upset. It is a growing party, but like i said earlier, people will go to the polls to vote for individual candidates, not party (all the parties are demonstrating fragileness at the moment)

Afam:

That you are still posting here even when you believe Nigerians here post junk shows that you are a believer of junk posts otherwise you would have taken your campaign to forums that don't tolerate junks.

This thread is not about your article on Mr Pedro, my question remains a simple one - When did he realise that Labour Party is the best option?

Before or after he was schemed out of AC?

Would he have joined Labour Party if the governor supported him and AC gave him the ticket?

Why turn simple questions into complex and lenghty ones?

Answer the simple questions posed.

when did he relize labour party was best? Only him will be able to say. but dont forget, he did not even pick up nomination form for AC. from what was said on LTV, he has been romancing with the Labour Party since May 1 (after he gave a speech at Labour day). this was even before he made a declaration to contest in the 2007 elections.

would he have joined labour if tinubu supported him? probably not. but if you have been followign this race carefully, u'll know he's the only candidate who never relied on tinubu's support- the others- agbaje, afikuyomi, adikwubakare, kasali, gbajabiamilla, owokoniran, solomon, erikitola, and even oBANIKORO relied heavily on tinubu's supposed support of their aspirations. pedro has been building his own support base for quite some time via an organization called HARMONY FOUNDATION.

dont sleep on pedro. he is runnign a clean and fair campaign and he is taking his message straight to the people. this one is not a matter of bribe or anything. if Lagos wants a sound leader they'll unanimously support pedro. channels tv said that to win this election the candidate needs about 1 million lagosians. the penecostal fellowship of nigeria (PFN) by itself has 6million members in lagos. 1/6 of them come out to vote, and it is a done deal. the ndigbo in lagos is a powerful group. THEY ALWAYS VOTE, and this year they have thrown their weight around Pedro.

there is also one more big organization that is backing him, time will reveal their identity, as now is not the time to open closets,
Re: Femi Pedro's Manifesto Available For Download by kitaun(m): 4:16pm On Jan 08, 2007
Oga streetcyph, long time! Why open dis thread when u left that other thread unattended to? Tell me; what position do you hold in Pedro's political structure?? Why would d common Lagosian want to associate with an hitherto less prominent party represented by a Private sector person? Exactly my grouse with Prof Utomi on his rally to ask for jobseekers to be given govt benefits, just cos he was about declaring his aspiration to rule motherland! Pls answer Afam's questions appropriately b4 we proceed
Re: Femi Pedro's Manifesto Available For Download by streetcyph: 5:08pm On Jan 08, 2007
kitaun:

Oga streetcyph, long time! Why open this thread when u left that other thread unattended to? Tell me; what position do you hold in Pedro's political structure?? Why would d common Lagosian want to associate with an hitherto less prominent party represented by a Private sector person? Exactly my grouse with Prof Utomi on his rally to ask for jobseekers to be given govt benefits, just because he was about declaring his aspiration to rule motherland! Please answer Afam's questions appropriately before we proceed

Kitaun, no be me wey open thread, na destiny 2007 campaigner oh

me i am a freelance journalist like i said before. However, I am a self-confessed supporter of Mr. Pedro because he has exhibited some qualities that we all should embrace.

I have answered afam's question to the best of my ability- from what was reported on LTV, he has been romancing with Labour Party since May Day. furthermore, he never relied on tinubu's outright support. that is why he was so quick to leave. i mean, he did not even break a sweat.

with regards to your question, first and foremost lagos is the most dynamic state in the federation- 14-15 million people. Lagos is made up of a diverse people- common man, elite, market woman, corporate man, igbos, yorubas, xtians, muslems, etc. no single group- be it ethnic, religious or professional- entirely dominates Lagos statistically speaking. lagos is not oyo, or taraba (with all due respect to both states). like mariory said, lagos is more or less a country by itself.

now to your question- labour party, like mr pedro himself, is a dynamic entity. the party comprises of pretty much every group- just read what the destiny 2007 people posted earlier.

as per being a private sector person, u are forgetting he has been deputy for 4 years! do you think he was just sitting in his office doing nothing? people keep forgetting, in 2004, i wrote an article in vanguard, challenging tinubu to show us all his passport, the man travelled every week!, while he was on "official duty" in atlanta, chicago and london, mr pedro quietly ran the affairs of lagos. QUIETLY. with humility, integrity and dedication to the cause. ironically, tinubu enjoyed relative peace in the past 4 years, because pedro ran the state efficiently.

maybe what lagos (and the country as a whole) needs is a private sector person. besides, what have these so-called politicians done for us? make more and more promises they never fulfill. it is simple. you either choose to continue with tinubu (via fashola), choose to be with koro (aka eko thug), choose to be with olu falae and his band of cry-babies, or choose to be with the innovative, experienced, hardworking pedido.
Re: Femi Pedro's Manifesto Available For Download by mowapa(m): 6:13pm On Jan 08, 2007
I am intrigued by this dude and went on line to research him, am somehow impressed and would vote for him except i don't live in Naija. For what it matters I'M ADOPTING AND ENDORSING THIS DUDE! abeg, Mr Pedro no messup oh.
Re: Femi Pedro's Manifesto Available For Download by streetcyph: 6:26pm On Jan 08, 2007
mo wapa:

I am intrigued by this dude and went on line to research him, am somehow impressed and would vote for him except i don't live in Naija. For what it matters I'M ADOPTING AND ENDORSING THIS DUDE! abeg, Mr Pedro no messup oh.

that was my same impression when i started researching him late 2003. i met him officially in 2004, and since then, I have been telling whoever cared to listen that he is legit.
Re: Femi Pedro's Manifesto Available For Download by buluti(m): 9:56pm On Jan 08, 2007
Unfortunately i wont be in Lagos but really if we want change we should be pushing candidates such as Femi Pedro.

For all those talking upside down (sorry not insulting anyone) about Pedro leaving AC am glad he did, for whatever reason i believe it would work for good.

The change we have all been talking and looking for is creeping in little by little and some of us cant notice it. Geetz,

Please for those who can in your own little way campaign for Femi Pedro and go out and vote.
Re: Femi Pedro's Manifesto Available For Download by kitaun(m): 3:06am On Jan 09, 2007
Some people never learn from event the most recent events sha!! Femi Pedro cant even compete with some people aspiring to be LGA chairmen not to talk of people like Jimi Agbaje and Akeem Gbajabiamila!!
Re: Femi Pedro's Manifesto Available For Download by kitaun(m): 3:07am On Jan 09, 2007
Some people never learn from even the most recent of events sha!! Femi Pedro cant even compete with some people aspiring to be LGA chairmen not to talk of people like Jimi Agbaje and Akeem Gbajabiamila!!
Re: Femi Pedro's Manifesto Available For Download by mowapa(m): 3:40am On Jan 09, 2007
@Kitaun
Please tell the forum about Jimi Agbaje and Akeem Gbajabiamila,this should be about educating the electorate and not pulling others down. do a comparison as to why they will make a better governor.Enough of this what i cannot defend i will disparage syndrome.
Re: Femi Pedro's Manifesto Available For Download by streetcyph: 10:18am On Jan 09, 2007
kitaun:

Femi Pedro can't even compete with some people aspiring to be LGA chairmen not to talk of people like Jimi Agbaje and Akeem Gbajabiamila!!

really? says who? the people of lagos?

this time around, the people of lagos will decide. and people like u are in for a shocker
Re: Femi Pedro's Manifesto Available For Download by Afam(m): 11:27am On Jan 09, 2007
I wish the man good luck but as far as I am concerned I prefer people that are consistent in whatever they do.

I do not have any problem with any political party but it is nonsensical for people to suddenly realise the best party after being schemed out of the party of their choice.

Same problem we have in Nigeria today where over 80% of the opposition were members of PDP until they lost out in the power game.
Re: Femi Pedro's Manifesto Available For Download by buluti(m): 12:29pm On Jan 09, 2007
@ Afam i understand your point, but you need to understand for now we do not have political parties. Clearly no underlying ideology is in place, unfortunately.

In the UK if Labour is in power people know what to expect if tomorrow the conservatives win (which we pray they wont) we know the policies they will push. Same thing in the US, Bush is carrying out replubilcan policies, when democrats are in power people know what to expect.

So if you understand the situation that its not ideology that brings people together, its foolhardy to accuse anyone of inconsistentcy yet, its all an arrangement. The closet we were in Nigeria was NRC and SDP but IBB would not let it be. In my opinion destroying that structure was the greatest undoing IBB did to Nigeria. He considered one personality and decided to crumble the structure as if today MKO wouldnt have finished serving his term by 2000 (assuming 2 terms). The same problem we always have we never think outside the box especially in this game of politics. Its for now about personalities.

The way i see it after some time this moving around will stop, it has to really. How many parties do we have now fifty something (who knows), it wont make sense to register more political parties soon. Again heaven knows what the senate debates there's so much legislation to be put in place they keep wasting time on issues like third term.

Changes for now can only come through perceived personalities, if they will carry out the changes is another question that can only be answered "ex post". For now Femi Pedro is one of such personalities so it makes sense especially for this generation to support such.
Re: Femi Pedro's Manifesto Available For Download by Afam(m): 12:46pm On Jan 09, 2007
@Buluti,

I respect Pedro's decision to leave AC for another party the moment he felt things were not being done properly.

I have used this singular bold move in arguements to show that Atiku should have resigned his post/the PDP before joining another party as one cannot belong to 2 political parties at the same time unless the person is criminally minded.

I would prefer a Femi Pedro that will even run as an Independent Candidate to those that will try to live or die in a political party as if there is no life outside the party.

My problem with his letter is the way he was trying to tell Lagosians that Labout Party is this or that.

He has switched to another party, fine, let him tell us what he wants to do and leave the praises being given to the party because he would never have said anything about the Labour Party if he had his way while still in AC.

Sometimes, Nigerians have a way of wasting time on irrelevant issues whereas a lot of issues are begging for attention.

People make the party and not the other way round.

Maybe I paid too much attention to his comments on the party but such things tend to make it seem as if Nigerians are being taken for a ride.

Thanks for your time.

1 Like

Re: Femi Pedro's Manifesto Available For Download by streetcyph: 1:03pm On Jan 09, 2007
Afam,

I am of the opinion that Pedro's campaign team are focusing more on Pedro as an individual, not necessarily on the labour party. but unfortunately, there are many nigerians who still vote party lines, when, as buluti mentioned, our parties dont take certain positions on certain issues. it is because of these people that they have decided to discuss more about the party.

pedro is trying to run an issue-oriented campaign, i think the problem is the media. they are not bringing to the forefront the things that should really matter.instead of focusing on where each candidate stands on certain issues (medicare, abortion, crime, etc) they are glorifying pdp vs AC battle. Not once has either party come out to tell us their position on critical issues. WHAT IS IRONIC IS THAT TILL TODAY, LABOUR PARTY IS THE ONLY PARTY THAT HAS AT LEAST MENTIONED WHERE IT STANDS ON CERTAIN ISSUES. mr pedro was on radio last week, talking about where he stood on healthcare, education, pension, etc. i mean he was dolling out statistics like a chatter-box, i was so amazed that his team took the time and patience to do a thorough research on these issues.

i am very excited about the debate that will hold between the candidates in Lagos. It is my hope that the other candidates wont dribble their way out of it, because Pedro has said over and over that he wants a televised debate.
Re: Femi Pedro's Manifesto Available For Download by buluti(m): 1:17pm On Jan 09, 2007
Can a candidate run as an independent candidate in Nigeria?
Re: Femi Pedro's Manifesto Available For Download by Afam(m): 1:23pm On Jan 09, 2007
streetcyph:

Afam,

I am of the opinion that Pedro's campaign team are focusing more on Pedro as an individual, not necessarily on the labour party. but unfortunately, there are many nigerians who still vote party lines, when, as buluti mentioned, our parties don't take certain positions on certain issues. it is because of these people that they have decided to discuss more about the party.

pedro is trying to run an issue-oriented campaign, i think the problem is the media. they are not bringing to the forefront the things that should really matter.instead of focusing on where each candidate stands on certain issues (medicare, abortion, crime, etc) they are glorifying pdp vs AC battle. Not once has either party come out to tell us their position on critical issues. WHAT IS IRONIC IS THAT TILL TODAY, LABOUR PARTY IS THE ONLY PARTY THAT HAS AT LEAST MENTIONED WHERE IT STANDS ON CERTAIN ISSUES. mr pedro was on radio last week, talking about where he stood on healthcare, education, pension, etc. i mean he was dolling out statistics like a chatter-box, i was so amazed that his team took the time and patience to do a thorough research on these issues.

@Streetcyph,

I agree that people especially the media are wasting our time focusing on non issues.

Maybe more and more Nigerians are beginning to realise that the politician as a human being is far more important than the political party he belongs to.

@Buluti,

No, I wanted to explain the extent to which I can support the man as against the party switching stuff.

He did what a lot of politicians are too afraid of doing and he earns my respect for that but the time is now for him to tell Lagosians how he intends to fix Lagos.
Re: Femi Pedro's Manifesto Available For Download by mowapa(m): 4:23pm On Jan 09, 2007
@destiny2k7

Please see this as a feed back and not criticism, the endless looping of Pedro declaration video was the one for AC and not labour just don't make sense, it needs to be edited

The Pedro campaign website is void of his agenda for Lagos

There are too many picture that convey nothing on the site, soon someone smart might analyze it and find a pic that might be used against him. be less vulnerable by showing less
Re: Femi Pedro's Manifesto Available For Download by TerraCotta(m): 7:10pm On Jan 09, 2007
I agree with Buluti/Streetcyph that many of these issues stem from a lack of substance in the platform of existing parties. Who can whether PDP is more conservative than AC? Will AC implement social welfare programs that ANPP or APGA would reject? There's nothing in the way of easily identifiable ideological stances among any of these parties, so why shouldn't one guy de-camp from PDP to AC, or from AC to Labour etc? There are no stated principles to stay loyal to. At least the Labour Party, by name alone, conveys the image of a workers' association that supports initiatives like unions, workers' compensation issues etc. You would be hard-pressed to find a fiscal conservative who wants a purely market-driven economy running under a party named Labour. We can thank Femi Pedro for introducing that small advancement into contemporary Lagosian politics, at least--choosing a party with a clear ideological stance instead of the inane, noncommital nonsense we usually hear from the PDPs and ACs.

As for running as an independent, I don't even think the serious money-bags of Naija society would want to try it. Nigeria is not ready for Ross Perot-style candidacies--many would perceive the candidate as being too greedy to share spoils with his cronies, and the candidate him/herself would need the protection and strength in numbers that a party provides before the hired killers come and do their duty.

streetcyph:

I have a lot of respect for candidates that do this, even when they're not compelled to. Again, I can't be entirely sure of Pedro's sincerity, but most of our politicians don't even bother to learn statistics as a charade.
Re: Femi Pedro's Manifesto Available For Download by mowapa(m): 11:30pm On Jan 12, 2007
Wouldn't you pay to see a debate among the governorship candidates of Lagos? toks(ANPP) Pedro(Labour) and Koro(PDP), Whoa! these three will spill fire or maybe cold. just wondering who might win that debate. AC guy you ask? he is not relevant. all he has going for him is Ashiwaju's money.
Re: Femi Pedro's Manifesto Available For Download by streetcyph: 9:53am On Jan 13, 2007
a national debate will be the icing on the cake, i am expecting silverbird to make an announcement very soon!

people, here is a letter femi pedro sent out to everyone on his mailing list. it has been making rounds all over the internet. some of you here might haave received the letter. what do you think about it?

My Fellow Lagosians,

I hope you have all had a wonderful festive season. I also hope and pray God has guided and protected each and every one of you and your household through the year so far.

You are receiving this e-mail because you have, at one point in time, visited my site and sent me some sort of goodwill message. Some have dedicated and pledged their support to my campaign, others have asked for more information about my candidacy, my manifesto and more importantly, what plans I have for our beloved state and, by extension, our motherland Nigeria. Some have requested campaign material, so that they may continue to spread the word about the Labour Party and Femi Pedro. I thank you all for your continued support, and hope you remain steadfast in your belief in my candidacy.

As you are all aware, we have reached a crucial juncture in the election process. All things being equal, we have barely over Ninety (90) days to the election. There is still a lot of work to be done. It is imperative that you register to vote if you have not already done so. If you have, I urge you to mobilise as many people as you can to register. No matter how small you may think your efforts may be, it will make an enormous impact come election day.

I wish to use this opportunity to urge you all to continue spreading the word and raising awareness of my candidacy and the Labour Party: in your beer parlours, on all the Nigerian websites, at your workplace, at the cyber-cafe, at the mosque on Fridays, at your church service on Sunday, even when you are stuck in traffic! The Labour Party is about people, the people who produce the nation’s wealth: The working class. It is about our farmers-producers of our nation’s food basket, ploughing the farms throughout our nation. It is about our market women- daily striving to earn a living. It is about the various workers commuting the length and breadth of our country to create a vibrant economy. It is about workers in the public service, and organised private sector. It is about the small and medium-scale business owner, striving to build their businesses. It is about workers on our drilling rigs, our financial, telecommunication, aviation and construction industries. It is about the old age pensioner, the retirees who have worked tirelessly to develop our nation. The Labour Party is about the generality of Nigerians- it is about the people.

Because it is a people-oriented Party, my manifesto and policies are directly for the people. I will be held accountable to the people. I emphasise on the word ACCOUNTABILITY, because this is a fundamental principle that has ceased to exist in Nigerian governance.

In the coming days, I will be campaigning in your local government areas- from Agege to Surulere, Ifako to Badagry, Amuwo-Odofin to Oshodi, Mushin to Shomolu, Kosofe to Eti-Osa, Apapa to Oshodi. Be expecting me. If you see me or my campaign members on the streets, embrace them. Let them know you are a Destiny 2007 Team member, because we all cherish your support, no matter who you are or where you are from.

Once again, I thank you all for being apart of the Destiny 2007 Campaign. Feel free to send me an email anytime you desire. More importantly, forward this message to as many friends and family members you can- be it by oral communication or by forwarding this email. Remember our campaign slogan: Together, We Will Make it Happen. I urge you to seize this moment, and secure our future. VOTE FEMI PEDRO.

Sincerely,
Olufemi Pedro
Destiny 2007 Campaign Team.

http://www.femipedro.com
Re: Femi Pedro's Manifesto Available For Download by destiny2k7(m): 11:39pm On Jan 28, 2007
Femi Pedro's Campaign Advert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAu5jcUmrYA
Re: Femi Pedro's Manifesto Available For Download by llcoolg05: 9:58am On Jan 30, 2007
Sooo the Femi Pedro candidacy has continued here. My people lets not decieve our selves, Femi Fedro will not even come a distant third in this election we are about to witness. This is Nigeria now, Tinubu has a political machinery and the State Government machinery he can use to work for him, Koro has a political machinary and the federal government he can use to work for him, what does Pedro have? Himself and a non existing party in Lagos state?? Common men, lets be realistic with our thinking abeg. We all know its going to boil down to money, rigging, and how much grassroot support you can monster behind your cause. Which one of those categories can PEDRO even say he can contend with Lets not decieve ourselves, I think he's wasting money which is has. It does buy him a place in history sha, his name will be mentioned has someone who contested
Re: Femi Pedro's Manifesto Available For Download by KORO2007: 12:18pm On Jan 30, 2007
llcoolg05, I can see you know the deal. carry on jare. I must say I encourage the candidacy of Femi Pedro and others because it will only affect the cacaus they all came from so it only works for us.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Bad State Of Roads At Isu,urum And Amanuke(anambra State). / So We Won't See This Beautiful Lady Again. / Jubilation!! Presidency Nominates Two Qualified Igbo Senators To Replace Saraki

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 132
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.